The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browser's "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
ALLEN, David F.
Major - Soldier, statesman, gentleman, and friend--such was the lamented subject of this sketch, one of the most notable men that ever lived in the city of Frankfort. His name to Frankfort and Clinton county history, even to Indiana history, is a marker in the progress of events and time. His life is consecrated by his noble deeds; his career was picturesque, romantic, and worthy; and his generosity and kindly deeds were with unlimited scope in their performance. As a soldier, Major Allen loved the red heat and smoky pall of the battlefield, because he saw the right and necessity of it, not because he cared for the sacrifice of life. He abhorred the terrible reality of war, but he liked the thrill of martial combat. As a statesman, gentleman, and friend, Major Allen won hordes of friends who live today to commemorate his name with affection, admiration, and gratitude.
Major Allen was born in the city of Frankfort on March 15, 1843, and died September 16, 1911, and spent practically all of his life, except the time he was in the field, in this city.
He was the eldest of three children, sons of John and Martha (RUNYAN) ALLEN. The parents were both natives of Ohio. The father was a pioneer of Clinton county, where he located in 1828. The mother came here in 1829 and was married to Mr. Allen at that time. He died in 1864 and she in 1865.
At the age of eighteen Major Allen enlisted in Company C, Tenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in the three months service and at the expiration of that time re-enlisted in the same company for a period of three years, and served with great bravery and honor throughout the years of strife, participating in most of the important battles and campaigns. At the battle of Chickamauga he was very severely wounded. His military sagacity was recognized by his superiors and he won deserved promotion through the grades to the rank of second lieutenant. He also served on the staffs, as aids, of Generals Steadman, Schoefield, and Brannon. He was commissioned at one time adjutant of the Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but did not fill the rank, as his father's death interfered.
Major Allen has been called the "hero of three wars." Taking it for granted that he was a born leader of men, coupled with his inherent taste for military activities, it is not strange the he should be found at the front whenever his country was engaged in war. When President McKinley issued his call for troops in 1898 to force the Spaniards from Cuba, Major Allen organized a company in Frankfort, and transported them to Camp Morton at Indianapolis, where the National Guard was assembling, his company being among the first to arrive, and from here the Major reported to Governor James A. Mount that he was ready for duty. The history of the war acquaints us with the reason the Indiana troops never reached Cuba. The regular army was adequate to whip the Spaniard, while the volunteers were in encampment at Chickamauga, which, by the way, was a familiar spot to Major Allen.
The company commanded by Major Allen was mustered out and they returned to Frankfort. The call was too strong, however, and Major Allen recruited another two hundred men for service in the Philippine Islands, having the distinction of being the only offer that ever served in the United States army who commanded a company made up entirely of soldiers from one county. Major Allen served two years in the Philippines, being promoted to the rank of Major for his gallant conduct.
Major Allen was loved and adored by the soldiers who served with him in the Civil war, the Spanish-American, and the Philippine campaign. He was a father to the boys while in that far-away land and looked after their welfare with a tenderness that won their hearts. His record as a soldier stands forth in the brightest light, and he was often complimented for his gallant service by his superior officers.
In the business world, Major Allen also made a reputation for high efficiency. He began by driving a stage between this city and Colfax before Frankfort had a railroad, carrying the United States mail. He also engaged in the grocery business successfully, and was in the grain business, owning the Columbia street elevator. He assisted in the organization of the First National Bank, and filled the office of a director and at one time filled the office of president. He was actively engaged in the securing for Frankfort of the Clover Leaf railroad, and was a director on the Frankfort and Kokomo road, which was finally merged in the Clover Leaf.
Major Allen also was noted as a politician, having been a loyal Democrat. While in the Philippines he was made his party's candidate for Congress in the Ninth district, and in 1904 he was nominated for treasurer of state. He was often mentioned for Governor, but his name was never presented formally. He served as a member of the state tax board under Governor Matthews.
Major Allen was married twice. His first wife was Miss Clare SHIPP, and the second Miss Josephine ALFORD. Two sons are living: Richard, of Frankfort, and John, of Chicago. Major Allen was a member of the Clinton Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and the Grand Army of the Republic. He held office in the latter order. pp. 806 - 808. Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
ALLEN, Moses R.
MOSES R. ALLEN, a leading farmer of Washington township, and one of Clinton county's representative men, is a son of John and Cynthia (RUSH) ALLEN, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Ohio. and of English and Welsh-German descent. John Allen was born in Greene county, Pa., May 5, 1805, and was the seventh son in a family of twelve children born to Isaac Allen, whose ancestors settled in the Keystone state at a period antedating the war of the Revolution. When twelve years old, John Allen was taken by his parents to Butler county, Ohio, where, owing to the reduced circumstances of his father, he was early thrown upon his own resources and for some time followed the river, rafting logs and lumber and various articles of merchandise --- corn, flour, bacon, etc.-- to New Orleans. He was quite successful in this enterprise, but, while making the last trip, suffered a serious financial loss by the sinking of his boat and all its contents while tied to bank to secure fuel, the bank being undermined and a tree falling on the boat. In I828 he located in Clinton county, Ind., where a brother had previously entered land, and worked for the settlers until 1833, when he invested his savings in a tract of land which he cleared and brought under cultivation. He was married in Butler county, Ohio, to Cynthia RUSH, and with her lived in the old log cabin for a period of thirteen years. Occasionallv he was engaged in hauling goods from Cincinnati to the village of Jefferson, and once, while making a trip to Chicago, narrowly escaped death from drowning in the Tippecanoe river, which he attempted to cross on horseback, having unhitched his team and riding across to test the depth of the river.
Moses R. Allen was born in Clinton county, Ind., September 10, 1838, and grew to manhood accustomed to the manifold duties of the farm. He has followed successfully the pursuit of agriculture and is now one of the largest land holders of Washington township, owning 452 acres, which are well improved and adorned with substantial buildings, the place, indeed, being a model home. Mr. Allen is a man of excellent judment in business matters and his services are frequently in demand by his neighbors and others in the settlement of estates, drawing up instruments of writing, giving advice on legal questions, etc. Mr. Allen was married September 20, 1860, to Margaret J. Pence, daughter of Michael C. and Susannah (STAFFORD) PENCE. The father of Mrs. Allen was born in Rockingham county, Va., August 17, 1817, and when eighteen years of age moved to Clarke county, Ohio, where, on the twelfth day of December, I839, he was united in marriage to Susannah STAFFORD. He came to Clinton county in 1858, settling on a farm in Washington township,. where Mrs. Pence died January 25,1876. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. PENCE --- Catherine W. and Margaret J. (Mrs. Allen), both deceased. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Allen was blessed with the birth of six children, namely -- John P., born November 3, 1862; Joseph E., August 4, 1866; Howard E., July 16, 1870; Thomas W., July, 29,1876; William E., August I4, 1861, died June 28, 1880; George W., February 2, 1875, died January 17, 1877.
The mother of these children, Mrs. Margaret J. Allen, was born in Miami county, Ohio, October 30, 1840, and died at her home in Clinton county, Ind., August 15, 1894, of abdominal tumor. She was a devoted member of the M. E. church, of which Mr. Allen is also a member. Mr. Allen is a member also of the Masonic fraternity, belongs to the G. A. R., and is a republican in politics.
Mr. Allen has a military record of which he feels deservedly proud, covering a period of over three years, during which time he marched over 4000 miles and participated in twenty-five bloody battles. To give in detail his military experience would require a volume, and only the leading facts are herewith set forth. He enlisted September 16, 1862, in company I , One Hundredth Indiana infantry, under Capt. James N. Sims, and the following November the regiment proceeded to Memphis, Tenn., with Vicksburg as the objective point, but the latter city was not at that time reached. Mr. Allen's first active duty was as guard to the Memphis & Charleston railroad, and his first baptism of fire was at Vicksburg, in the memorable siege, in which he took an active part. After the surrender, he moved with Sherman's army to Jackson, Miss., taking part in the siege, thence to the Big Black river, and afterward returned to Memphis. His next movement was to Chattanooga, Tenn., near which he participated in the battles of Mission Ridge and Lookout Mountain, after which he accompanied his command to Knoxville, and later to Bridgeport, Ala. In the spring of 1864 he was in the army of Gen. Sherman, and fought throughout the Atlanta campaign, during, the progress of which he was under fire about one hundred davs and nights, and participated in the following historical engagements from Dalton through Snake Creek Gap, to Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack Creek, Chattahooche river, Decatur, Cedar Bluffs, Jonesboro, Lovejoy Station and the final surrender of Atlanta. Mr. Allen's regiment, after the surrender, was sent on a forced march through northern Georgia to Alatoona, and finally returned to its old camping ground near Atlanta. After a great deal of active service in Georgia, the regiment participated in a battle near the town of Griswold, entered the city of Savannah December 23, 1864, thence went to Beaufort, S. C., and, marching through the Carolinas, captured successfully Branchville, Columbia, Georgetown, Bentonville, and finally reached Goldsboro March 26, 1865, after having marched 1,300 miles and fought seventeen battles. Mr. Allen remained with his command at Greensboro until April of that year, when the regiment moved to Raliegh, thence marched by way of Petersburg, Richmond and Alexandria, Va., to Washington, D. C., reaching that city May 20, 1865. He was discharged June 20, 1865, with a record of duty bravely and uncomplainingly done, and it is to such brave and gallant spirits that the country is indebted for its preservation. pp. 565 -566. Source I Transcribed by Connie
one of the oldest living residents of Clinton county, Ind., was
born in Butler county, Ohio, July 27, 1807. He was and educated
in his native county, remained with his parents until his twenty-fifth
year, and in the spring of 1831 came to Clinton couiitv, Ind.,
where he worked one summer, after which he returned to Ohio: this
he repeated for three successive years. February 13,
1884, he married Rachel CRULL, who was born in Scioto county,
Ohio, March 1, 1813. Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Allen moved to Clinton county, Ind., making the journey with two
horses and the usual covered wagon, the canvas of which was woven
from flax by Mr. Allen's own hands. They were eleven days on the
road and settled upon a piece of prairie land which Mr. Allen had
purchased from the government the year previous. He also entered
eighty acres of timber and erected thereon, with the assistance
of his few scattered neighbors, a small log cabin, in size about
sixteen by eighteen feet, containing a single room, in which all
his household effects were stored. Mr. and Mrs. Allen occupied
this primitive dwelling until 1843, in November of which year
they moved into a new frame house which still stands upon the old
farm. Some idea of the cost of building in those days may be
learned from the fact that Mr. Allen obtained money to buy
material by marketing his wheat at La Fayette for thirty cents
per bushel, and he states that the nails used in the construction
of his house were purchased for ten cents per pound. Mr. Allen
now owns 240 acres of land in Clinton county, in the improvement
of which he has spared no expense, the one item of tiling alone
representing an outlay of $1,400. He is a republicari in
politics, though formerly a democrat, and cast his first
presidential vote for Gen. Andrew Jackson. Religiously he
subscribes to the liberal creed of Universalism; Mrs. Allen is a
member of the Methodist church.
Mr. and Mrs. Allen have had eleven children, namely: William H., born December 28, 1834, died June 27, 1837; Isaac N., born January 22, 1837, died June 20, 1843; Elizabeth, born December 21, 1838, died September 19, 1870; Eliza, born January 7, 1841, died April 19, 1864; Manford, born March 24, 1843, died October 27, 1866; John P., born February 11, 1845; Martha J., born June 11, 1847; Mary Alice, born August 22, 1849, died October 15, 187I: Cass and Kossuth, twins, born March 3, 1852 --- Kossuth died March 16, I853, Cass died December 25, 1860; and Emma D., born September 16, 1854. Elizabeth married Hugh C. CROCKETT November 6, 1865; Eliza married William JENKINS December 22, 1859; John married Louisa HOLLINGWORTH February 14, 1869; Martha J,, married Milton HOCKMAN November 23, 1870; Mary married Daniel W. PRICE, December 7, 1870; Emma was married May 22, 1878, to William J. CRULL, and resides on the home farm. On the thirteenth day of February, 1894, Mr. and Mrs. Allen celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of their marriage, upon which occasion their manv neighbors and friends for miles around came to participate in the festivities. At one time Mr. Allen was the owner of a large amount of land in Clinton county, amounting to 1,100 acres, but he has sold and divided it until he has but 240 acres, which constitute the home farm.
The father of Mr. Allen was Isaac Allen, who was born in Sussex county, New Jersey. He remained there until attaining his majority, at which time he removed to Greene county, Pa., and there married Elizabeth RUSH, who bore him eight children, names and dates of birth as follows: Mrs. Rebecca THOMAS, born December 3, 1794; James, born in 1796; Stephen, February 14, 1799; David, February 22, 1801. Jesse, in May, 18O3; John, in 1805; Moses, the date of whose birth is given above; Deborah, in 1811; and Lydia, whose birth occurred in the year 1813; all the members of the family are now deceased, except the subject of this sketch. The mother was born in Greene county, Pa. , where she was reared and married; she died in Butler county, Ohio, where the family removed about the year 1806. Mrs. Allen was the daughter of William and Ruth (STOCKMAM) CRULL -- the father born in Morgan county, Va., in 1778, died February 3, 1836; Mrs. Crull was born in 1790 and departed this life on the sixteenth day of July, 1825. The brothers and sisters of Mrs. Allen are as follows: Susanna B., born February 11, 18I2; Anna, born September 30, 1814; Asenath, born June 4, 1816; Jemima, March 8, 1818; Ezekiel, April 22, 1820; Martha B., July 29, 1822, and Mary, born July 12, 1824.
The grandfather of Moses Allen was Thomas Allen, a native of England and by occupation a carpenter; his wife was of Welsh descent. David Crull, the grandfather of Mrs. Allen, was born in Germany, came to the United States in an early day, and settled in Pennsylvania. He married Nancy BENNET, a native of Morgan countv, Va., and both himself and wife died in Butler county, Ohio. Moses Allen has lived a long and useful life, and since coming to Clinton county has witnessed many surprising changes incident to the growth and development of the country, and recounts the events of early times with much pleasure. He frequently relates the following incident: In the spring 1829, when he came to Clinton county for the purpose of entering land, he one day fell in with two Indians and three white bovs, and one of the latter told the Indians that young Allen was a good wrestler, whereupon he was challenged to a test of strength and skill by one of the redskins. The challenge was promptly accepted, and the two wrestlers at once took hold; the Indian had but little clothing, which made the contest somewhat unequal, as young Allen found it difficult to secure a grasp upon his person. He succeeded, however, in laying hold of his adversary's scant clothing, and, grasping the latter's bare thigh, threw him heavily to the ground, leaving the marks of his finger-nails in the flesh, causing the blood to flow. The Indian then wanted to try a back-hold, to which Allen assented, and in the second contest, like the first, skill triumphed over phvslcal strength, the Indian failing heavily to the ground, with his adversary on top of him. This seemed to satisfy the red wrestler, who rose to his feet, gave a whoop and said "A heap stout man you," after which the two separated in the very best of humor. pp. 566 - 568. Source I Transcribed by Connie
One of the honored veterans of the greatest civil war which history records, and a venerable citizen of Washington township, Clinton county, who has long ranked among our best and most enterprising farmers is David ALLEN, a man who would be appreciated as a citizen anywhere, for he is a believer in hard, persistent work and honorable dealings with his fellow men and at the same time is patriotic and public-spirited, having done much for the general improvement of the locality of his residence, both in a material and moral way, advocating right living and purity in politics. His place, known as Walnut Grove Farm, is located in Section 14, of the township above mentioned, and is a model in every respect. This place has been very skilfully (sic) and ably managed of recent years by his son, Russell Allen, a worthy son of a worthy sire, who seems to have inherited many of the commendable traits of his father, and he has spent his life on this farm, having been born here in 1873. The place contains two hundred and seven acres and it lies five and one-half miles from Frankfort.
David Allen, ex-county commissioner, was born also on this farm, in a log house, in 1840, and he is a son of Stephen ALLEN, who was born in 1799, in Ohio, and he came to this county in 1830 among the pioneers, and developed the farm by hard work from the virgin soil. He was a son of Phillip ALLEN, of Scotch-Irish descent. The family lived in Butler county, Ohio, for several generations and there Stephen Allen grew to manhood and married Mary ROSS, who was also a native of that county, and there the elder Allens lived and died. Stephen Allen spent the rest of his life in Clinton county, Indiana, and was a well-known and highly respected citizen among the early settlers. His family consisted of eight children, five sons and three daughters, namely: Andrew J., deceased; John, deceased; Elizabeth, Mrs. Rachael GROVES, David, Almeda, Major and Smith B. The mother of these children died at the age of sixty-five years, while the father reached the advanced age of seventy-nine years. Politically he was a Republican, and in 1856 he voted for General John C. Fremont. He and his wife were both members of the Christian church.
David Allen was reared on the home place, and, growing up in pioneer times, he had plenty of hard work to do. He received a meager education in the old-time schools of his day. When the Civil war came on he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company H, under Col. William Wilson, of Lafayette. Our subject was soon sent to the far South and was stationed at Bridgeport, Alabama. He was honorably discharged in 1864, after which he returned home and resumed farming. Some years ago he served as commissioner of Clinton county with much credit of himself and to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned. When twenty-one years of age he married, in November, 1871, Eliza M. CLARK, who was born in Jefferson, this county, and there reared and educated. She is a daughter of John M. CLARK, who came to Clinton county in 1836, and here he spent the rest of his life, dying in Colfax.
Russell Allen grew to manhood on the home place here and he did his share of the work when growing to manhood. He received a good practical education in the schools of Frankfort. Upon reaching manhood he married Lettie LANE, daughter of a prominent pioneer family here. She was born on the old Lane homestead and here grew to womanhood and was educated in the schools of Frankfort. She is a daughter of Jesse LANE, mentioned on other pages of this work.
To our subject and wife four children have been born, namely: Frances, deceased; Walter, Florence and David, Jr. Mr. Allen owns one of the choice farms of his township, which place consists of one hundred and eight acres, well improved and carefully kept. He has a good set of buildings and always keeps an excellent grade of live stock. pp. 758-759 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
ALLEN, Smith B. , the present efficient sheriff
of Clinton county, Ind., and an enterprising farmer of Washington
township, was born August 22, 1846, in Clinton county, within the
bounds of which nearly all of his life has been spent. His
father, Stephen Allen, was born in Lehigh county, Pa., February
14, 1799, and when a mere boy accompanied his parents to Butler
county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood as a farmer. He became a
resident of Clinton county, Ind., as early as 1829, locating on
the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch, where his death
occurred on the fourth of September, 1878. His wife, whose maiden
name was Mary ROSS, was born May 5, 1804, in Butler county, Ohio,
and was there married; she departed this life February 13, 1876,in
Clinton county, Ind, The family of Stephen and Mary Allen
consisted of the following children: Andrew J., born April 5,
1827; John, May 4, 1829; Elizabeth, wife of David Thompson,
October 19, 1832; Rachel, wife of Robert Groves, October 20, 1834;
James, December 30, 1837; David, June 6, 1840; Almeda, ,wife of
Thomas Majors, December 19, 1842; and Smith. the date of whose
birth is given above.
Smith B. Allen. the youngest son of the family grew to manhood on his father's farm in Washington township, and his education embraced the usual branches taught in the public schools. Since beginning life for himself, he has been an honest and industrious tiller of the soil, and his labors have been crowned with success. As a farmer he ranks with the most progressive of his township, and as an intelligent, wide-awake citizen, deeply interested in all that has a tendency to benefit the community in any way whatever, he occupies a prominent place in the estimation of the public. On the twenty-fifth of April, 1877, Mr. Allen and Laura C. daughter of Abraham and Sarah (DAVIDS) MILLER, were joined in matrimony, a union blessed with the birth of two children -- Chester L., born April 29,1878, and Madison R. , born July 26, 1881. The parents of Mrs. Allen were natives of Ohio, and were of Scotch descent. Their family consisted of three children, Eliza, James and Laura. Mr. Allen is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Vista lodge, No. 136, at Jefferson, and for some years has been identified with the Patrons of Husbandry. A republican; in politics, he has never been an aspirant for political honors, preferring to give his attention to the interest of his farm, he was nevertheless elected sheriff of Clinton county, November 6, 1894, by a majority of 520, taking possession of the office November 15, 1894. Socially, Mr. and Mrs. Allen are well known throughout Washington township as kind-hearted neighbors, and their popularity has gained for them a prominent place in the affections of the people. pp. 568 - 569. Source I
Transcribed by Connie
ALLEN, James M.
There is something picturesque about the Hoosier pioneer, something strongly suggestive of primal power. That they came here when axes were needed to clear a space for a home, that they started the forces of progress, arouses our imagination, it is true; but there is that ineffable charm about them, heightened by time, that romantic picture of their life which makes us abhor hot city streets and which more strongly arouses our admiration and respect. These hardy men of the frontier are disappearing rapidly, but many are left who may relate of the stirring and doubtful days of the early nineteenth century. As the Haddons, the Fairfaxes, the Beatties stood for Virginia, so might the Allen family stand for Indiana, particularly Clinton county. James M. Allen is descended from this family, and his presence today places a landmark in the history of the state.
James M. Allen is the son of Stephen and Mary (ROSS) ALLEN, and was born in Washington township, Clinton county, December 30, 1837. Stephen ALLEN moved from Butler county, O., in 1829 to the little town of Jefferson, Washington township, Clinton county, being one of the first settlers in the county. Previous to his migration to Indiana, Mr. Allen had been educated as well as the log school houses in Ohio could afford. After moving to his new home, Mr. Allen began in earnest to farm and, until his death on September 4, 1878, continued that business. Until the Buchanan administration, Mr. Allen was a Democrat, but upon the formation of the Republican party he became a Republican, and remained so. Eight children were born to Mr. And Mrs. Stephen Allen, four of whom, Rachel, James, David, Almeda, are still living. Mary (Ross) Allen, the mother, was born in Ohio on October 5, 1804, and died February 13, 1876. She married Stephen Allen February 24, 1825.
James Allen received his education in the public schools, and took up farming immediately after leaving there. October2, 1867, Marks the date of his marriage to Martha M. KOONTZ, a girl of Washington township, Clinton county, and daughter of George and Catherine (MCNUTT) KOONTZ. To them have been born seven children, Ella, Mabel, Catherine, Bertha, Blanche, Lawrence, and Jennie. All of them are living.
James Allen has farmed in Clinton county since his youth. In 1867, just after the turmoil of civil war days, he moved to Jackson township. There Mr. Allen possesses two hundred acres of the best soil in Indiana, with a good, substantial home place upon it and complete and modern equipment to aid in its management. Mr. Allen also owns eighty acres of other valuable land near his present home. In 1906 he moved, with his family, to Antioch, where he has since lived a retired life.
Mr. Allen does not have any fraternal affiliations, but claims brotherhood with the Republican party, as his father did before him. pp. 611-612 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
ALLEN, Tilghman Howard
The true spirit of American progress and enterprise has been strikingly exemplified in the lives of such men as Tilghman Howard Allen, for many years one of the leading agriculturists of Clinton county, now living in honorable retirement in the town of Mulberry. A man whose energetic nature and laudable ambition enabled him to conquer many adverse circumstances and advance steadily. He has met and overcome obstacles that would have discouraged many men of less determination and won for himself one of the choice estates of this favored locality, and also a place among the enterprising men of the county. Such a man is a credit to any community and his life forcibly illustrates what energy and consecutive effort can accomplish when directed and controlled by correct principles and high moral resolves, and no man is worthier of conspicuous mention in a volume of this kind.
Mr. Allen was born in Clinton county October 19, 1840. He is a son of John and Cynthia (RUSH) ALLEN, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively; and of English and German-Welsh descent. John Allen was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, May 5, 1805, and was the seventh son of a family of twelve children born to Isaac ALLEN and wife, the former's ancestors having settled in the Keystone state at a period antedating the war of the Revolution. When twelve years old John Allen was taken by his parents to Butler county, Ohio, where, owing to the reduced circumstances of his father, he was early thrown on is own resources and for some time he followed river, rafting logs and lumber and various kinds of merchandise, corn, flour, bacon, etc., to New Orleans. He was quite successful in this enterprise, but, while making what he proposed to be his last trip, suffered a severe financial loss by the sinking of his boat and all its contents while it was tied to the bank as he was securing fuel. The bank was undermined and a tree fell on the boat. In 1828 he located in Clinton county, Indiana, where a brother had previously entered land, and he worked for the early settlers there until 1853, when he invested his savings in a tract of land which he cleared and placed under cultivation. He was married in Butler county, Ohio, to Cynthia Rush, and they lived in a log cabin for a period of thirteen years. Occasionally he was engaged in hauling goods from Cincinnati to the village of Jefferson, and once while making a trip to Chicago he narrowly escaped death by drowning in the Tippecanoe river, which he attempted to cross on horseback.
Moses R. ALLEN, brother of our subject, has a military record covering a period of three years in the Civil war. He enlisted on September 16, 1862, in Company I, One Hundredth Indiana Volunteeer (sic) Infantry, under Capt. James N. Sims, and his first baptism of fire was at Vicksburg in the memorable seige (sic), in which he took an active part. He later participated in the picturesque battles of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain, and in the spring of 1864 he was with General Sherman's army and fought throughout the strenuous Atlanta campaign, during the progress of which he was under fire almost continuously for about one hundred days and nights. After a great deal of service in Georgia the regiment participated in a battle near the town of Griswold, and entered the city of Savannah, December 23, 1864, thence went to Beaufort, South Carolina, marched through the Carolinas, capturing Branchville, Columbia, Georgetown, Bentonville, and finally reached Goldsboro. March 26, 1865, after having marched thirteen hundred miles and fought seventeen battles. Moses R. Allen was honorably discharged on June 20, 1865, with a fine record as a soldier for the Stars and Stripes.
Tilghman Howard Allen, of this sketch, grew to manhood on the home farm and he received a common school education. He was one of a family of nine children. His father, John Allen, died September 28, 1876, and the mother passed away at the age of sixty-eight years.
On February 6, 1873, Howard Allen married Mary A. OHL, who was born July 26, 1854, and was a daughter of Edward and Mary Ann (RODOCKER) OHL. The father was born June 26, 1835, in Ohio. He is living on a farm, but his wife died in 1892 at the age of fifty-nine years. Eight children were born to them: Mary Ann married Mr. Allen; Rachael Agnes died November 4, 1885, at the age of thirty years; Malinda Jane married Thomas RUSH; Samuel, Jacob and Charles all dying in childhood; Levina, born March 1, 1886, died November 10, 1881; and Ada, wife of Clinton HARSHMAN, born August 28, 1872, now living on the old homestead.
Mr. Allen engaged successfully in general farming and stock raising on a large scale on his two fine farms of four hundred acres, two miles south and southeast of Mulberry. He remained there until 1909, when, having accumulated a competency, he retired from active duties of life and purchased ten acres in Mulberry, on which stand a modern ten-roomed house, and here he is spending his declining years in quiet and comfort. His family consisted of four children: Cora S., John Edward, now in Shreveport, Louisiana; Moses Rush, Jr., died when seventeen months old; and Lucretia, the youngest, now living at home.
Politically, Mr. Allen is a Republican, and fraternally a Mason. He has always stood high among his many friends and acquaintances throughout the county. pp. 475-477. Source II Transcribed by Tonya
DAVID ALTER, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Forest township, was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., the date of his birth being March 28, 1828. His parents, John and Charity (VAN ARSDEL) ALTER, were also natives of Pennsylvania, and of German ancestry, the former a son of John Alter , who served in the war of 1812, and the latter a daughter of Garnett VAN ARSDEL, upon whose farm the battle of Gettysburg was fought. Our subject's parents, with their family, came to Indiana in 1836, and entered government land in Hancock county, near Greenfield, where Mrs. Alter died in 1841. Their family consisted of eight children: Helanor was for thirty years a minister in the Methodist Protestant church; John W. died from the effects of wounds received in the late Civil war; Isaac lives in Jasper county, Ind.; David and B. F. in Clinton county; Hester and Hatinah in Kansas; Jacob, the seventh child, died February 2, 1859. The father came to Clinton county in 1849, locating in Warren township (of which Forest is now a part), where he married Lucinda BLACK, daughter of William BLACK. To this union were born two children -- Ibba Jane, wife of Capt. L. CHAMBERLAIN, of Kansas, and one who died in infancy, the mother dying shortly after. Mr. Alter then moved to Jasper county, where he was married to Mary CHAMBERLAIN, a native of Maryland, and of the eight children born to this union five are living. John Alter was one of the early abolitionists, and was twice mobbed in Indiana for expressing his views on the slavery question. He, was a minister of the Methodist Protestant denomination, and was actively engaged in the work of the ministry for fifty-one years. He died in Jasper county, Ind.,1876.
David Alter , whose name heads this sketch, was twelve years of age when he came with his parents to Indiana. After the death of his mother he served an apprenticeship of six years at the cabinet-maker's trade, after which he worked two years as journeyman in Peru, Ind. With two brothers he came to Jasper county, Ind., where they took up a claim and made a home for their father. In 1848 David Alter came to Clinton county, where he married, December 25, of the same year, Miss Lavona SIMS, by whom he had nine children: John T., Viola (deceased), Benjamin F. (deceased), Mary Alvernon, Louise E., Sarah E. (deceased), Perry F., Martin W. and Emma. Mrs. Alter having died, Mr. Alter was next married, December 2 1872, to Miss Rebecca SHOEMAKER, a daughter of Eli SHOEMAKER, of Clinton county, and to this union were born three children: Christena May, who died December 11, 1893; David I. (deceased), and Leander C. Mr. Alter was again bereaved by the death of his wife, which occurred November 18, 1881. For his present wife he married Mary Jane KING, November 27,1883, her father, James KING, being a resident of Kirklin township. To them were born two children (twins), both dying in infancy. Mr. Alter has, of late years, turned his attention agricultural pursuits, and is the owner of a fine farm of 186 acres of hinghly cultivated land, on which are substantial and commodious farm buildings. His residence is comfortable and convenient, and he and his family are surrounded by the comforts of life. He is one of the most esteemed citizens of Forest township, and is at present serving as township trustee with credit to himself and his constituents, having received a majority of fifty-two votes, while his predecessor, a democrat, had received a mjority (sic) of forty-four votes. Mr. Alter has always affiliated with the republican party, while in religion he believes in the doctrine of the Universal church, and that the Bible teaches the universal salvation of the whole human family. pp. 560 & 565 Source I
Transcribed by Connie
THE ANDERSON FAMILY---The
family of Andersons are well known throughout Clinton county, in
the early history of which they took a prominent part. Elijah
ANDERSON the great-grandfather of David W. Anderson of Perry
township, was a native of Germany and settled in Pennsylvania in
the time of the colonies and there married and reared a family.
His son, also named Elijah, the American progenitor of the family
in Clinton county, Is said to have served in the war of the
Revolution. He married, in one of the eastern states, Catherine
MILLER, and in an early date emigrated to Highland county, Ohio.
Samuel Anderson, son of the above, was born in Hihland county in
the year 18O5, married Nancy THOMAS, daughter of Griffith THOMAS,
and in 1830 came to Clinton county, Ind., and entered 240 acres
of land in the township of Perry. Later he purchased additional
land, until at one time be owned 700 acres. He was one of the
prominent pioneers of Clinton, a member of the old school Baptist
Church, and took part in the easly politics of the county as a
democrat. The following are the names of his children: Jeremiah,
James, Elijah, Griffith, Samuel, John, David, Nancv, Almedia and
Jeremiah Anderson, the eldest son of the above, was born in Madison county, Ohio, October 26, 1828, and was but a mere child when brought by his parents to Clinton county, Ind. He grew to manhood on a farm, received his educational training in the indifferent country schools common in the early day, and on arriving at manhood's estate married Sarah MILLER, daughter of John and Mary (NICKELS) MILLER. John Miller was a soldier in the war of 1812 and one of the early settlers of Clinton county. After his marriage, Mr. Anderson settled on a farm which he had previously purchased, and is now the owner Of 300 acres of valuable land, the greater portion of which is under a successful state of cultivation. His farm is well stocked, contains excellent improvements in the way of buildings, fences, etc., and its fertility has been greatly enhanced by a successful system of tile drainage. Mr. Anderson served with distinction in the late war and took part in a number of campaigns, including that of Atlanta, in nearly all the fighting. of which he participated, and saw nearly three years of active service. He entered as a private, but before the termination of his period of enlistment was promoted first lieutenant, for meritorious conduct. He was honorably discharged July 6, 1865, since which time he has given his attention to the pursuit of agriculture.
Elijah Anderson , one of the leading farmers of Perry township, was born October 3 1831, in Clinton county, Ind., received a common school education and grew to manhood on the farm. He married Nancy A. BALL, daughter of Joseph and Nancy (McDAVID) BALL, and settled on his present farm in 1859. He has greatly improved this place, which consists, at this time, of ninety-four acres, and he ranks among the best farmers of the township of Perry. Politically he is a democrat, but not a partisan in the sense of seeking office. Mr. Anderson has an army record of which he is proud, having enlisted August 10, i862, in company D, Twenty-second Indiana infantry. He took part in the battle of Murfreesboro, where he was wounded, and a number of other engagements, in all of which he acquitted himself as a brave and gallant defender of the Union.
David W. Anderson, brother of the preceding, was born December 7, 1840, on the old home farm in Perry township, and he attended at intervals during the years of his minority the common schools, in which he acquired an education, which, although by no means finished, has since enabled him to discharge successfully the duties of a very active life.From his youth Mr. Anderson has been inured to labor and he has never, known what it was to eat the bread of idleness. In the year 1866, he chose for a life partner Miss Rachel ROSS, daughter of James and Hannah (MILLBURNE) ROSS, and at once began life for himself upon a farm of seventy acres, which he still owns. To this place he has made additions from time to time and his present farm, embracing an area of 260 acres, is one of the most finely situated and best cultivated places in the southwestern part of Clinton county. In addition to general farming, Mr. Anderson gives considerable attention to the raising of livestock, his cattle, hogs and horses being among the best in his neighborhood. Mr. Anderson did not neglect his duty to his country during the dark days of the rebellion, but nobly responded to the call for volunteers, enlisting April, 1863, in company H, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Indiana infantry. He served in the army of the Cumberland under Gen. Thomas, saw active duty in the states of Kentucky, Tennessee. Alabama and other parts of the south, but owing to sickness did not complete the period of his enlistment. Politically Mr. Anderson is a populist, of the principles of which he is a strong advocate. Fraternally he belongs to the Order of Odd Fellows. holding membership in Sharon lodge, NO. 487, at Colfax.
To David W. Anderson and wife have been born the following children: Maud, Mary J., William N., Milo J., Iva E. and James R. Mr. Anderson has spared no pains in the education of his children, his daughter Maud having attended the high school at Frankfort two years, and William pursuing his studies in an institution of learning in Kansas. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the United Brethren church and an enthusiastic teacher in the Sunday-school. It is a fact worthy of note that Mr. Anderson's Grandfather, Griffith THOMAS, was a brother of the celebrated " White Pilgrim" a traveling evangelist of note during the early days of Ohio, and who acquired an almost national reputation as a preacher and singer. Grandfather Thomas was a farmer of Ohio and one of the earliest settlers of Clinton county, to which part of the state he moved as long ago as 1829. At that time there was not a house in Frankfort, and with but little exception the county was a wilderness, uncheerd (sic) by the prescence of civilization. Mr. Thomas became the possessor af a large amount of land ---fully 800 acres --- the greater part of which was divided among his children. pp 569-571. Source I Transcribed by Connie
Perry township, Clinton county, has no more progressive farmer than James Anderson, Although many may farm on a more extensive scale, yet he handles his place with such skill and sound judgment that he makes his acres produce more than is grown by some on much larger farms. He is a man of keen observation and is also a student of both nature and literature as they bear on the various phases of his vocation.
Mr. Anderson, owner of Maple Grove farm, was born on the old homestead in Perry township, this county, on September 25, 1869. He is a son of James Anderson, SR. This family was among the early settlers of the county, having located here in 1833 and from that early day to the present they have performed well their part in the work of development, and no family has been held in higher regard here than they. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Anderson, found upon his arrival a vast wilderness, in which the cabins of first settlers were as yet few and far between. He was a man of courage and resource and he set to work with a will to clear a place for his cabin and put out a crop, and in due course of time he was very comfortably established. His son, James, father of our subject, was born in 1830 and was therefore only three years old when he was brought to this locality. Here he grew to manhood and assisted in clearing and developing the home farm, growing up to know what hard work meant, and he had but meager opportunities to be educated. He devoted his life successfully to farming in Perry township. He was one of a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters. James Anderson, Sr., married, in early manhood, Catherine YOUNG, who was born and reared in Clinton county. She was a daughter of David YOUNG, also a pioneer settler. To James Anderson, Sr., and wife ten children were born, six sons and four daughters, some of whom died in early life. Among the number were Lloyd, Marion, Jerry, Mrs. Jennie SAYERS, Mrs. S. M. PHILIPS, Catherine, died in 1887, and James Jr. Frank and William both died early. The death of the father of these children occurred in 1905 at the age of seventy-five years. Politically, he was a Republican, and was a member of the Christian church, and was for many years an officer in the church. He was a good and useful man, liked by all who knew him.
James Anderson, Jr., was reared on the home farm and there worked hard when a boy. He received his education in the public schools and the Frankfort high school, attending the latter two terms. He began life for himself as a railroader, being employed by the Clover Leaf Route for a period of eight years, during which he gave them very faithful and satisfactory service. Finally tiring of this line of work he rented a farm, the old homestead of his uncle, Elijah ANDERSON, and soon had a good start farming. He is now owner of a well kept place of ninety-four acres of rich land, on which he carries on general farming and stock raising. He has a cozy residence and an excellent barn. He feeds considerable live stock from year to year.
Politically he is a Republican, and he affiliates with the Christian church. He does his part in supporting good public measures. Mr. Anderson was married June 25, 1913, to Miss Emily JOHNSON, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. M. JOHNSON of Frankfort. He is a member of the K. of P. order. pp. 470-471 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
The well known owner of Cherry Grove farm, Marion Anderson, has been contented to spend his life in Clinton county, and he has always had deeply at heart the well-being and improvement of this locality, using his influence whenever possible for the promotion of enterprises calculated to be of lasting benefit to his fellow men, besides taking a leading part in all movements for the advancement of the community along social, intellectual and moral lines.
Mr. Anderson, who is a representative of one of our sturdy pioneer families, was born on February 14, 1859, and is a son of James Anderson, Sr., who was born in Butler county, Ohio and was a son of Samuel Anderson, also a native of Ohio. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. Samuel Anderson's wife was of an old Southern family and she was born in Virginia. Samuel Anderson and wife came to Indiana when the state was little less than a wilderness and here he found many things to discourage, but being of the true pioneer type he went to work with a will and soon had a good home established, first erecting a cabin in the woods, then clearing a place for his crops. Here he spent the rest of his life, dying at the age of eighty years. His family consisted of ten children: Jeremiah, who was a soldier in the Civil war, deceased; James and Elijah, both deceased; John, Samuel, Jr., Griffith, Joseph, died when twenty-one years of age; Nancy, Almeda and Amanda.
James Anderson grew to manhood on the old home place, and, being a pioneer child, he found plenty of hard work to do when a boy, helping to clear the land and develop a farm, build corduroy roads, log barns, etc. When twenty-one years old he married Catherine YOUNG, daughter of David Young, a pioneer citizen, who married Anna JOHNSON. They are both long since deceased. The father lived in Frankfort thirteen years prior to his death. The following children were born to James Anderson and wife: Annie, Frank, deceased; Lloyd, Marion, of this sketch: William is deceased, Jeremiah, Jennie, Carrie, James, Jr., Catherine, deceased. The death of the father occurred at the age of seventy-five years. He was a member of the Christian church and was a liberal supporter of the same, was a deacon for some time. His wife is still living and eighty years of age.
Marion Anderson, of this review, was reared on the home farm and there worked hard when a boy. He received his education in the public schools of his native community. When twenty-seven years of age he married Mary LEARY, of an old family, daughter of Ignatius LEARY, for many years a well known citizen of Frankfort. He was a native of County Kerry, Ireland, from which country he emigrated to the United States when young. While living in Brooklyn, New York, he married Ellen CURTAIN, a native of the same county in Ireland. This couple came to Frankfort, Ind., in 1857 and here became well established through their industry. Here the father's death occurred at the advanced age of eighty-four years. His family consisted of four children, namely: Mary, who married Mr. Anderson; Margaret DEVITT, of Frankfort; Mrs. Julia BERKMEYER, and William S. who died at the age of fifty-three years.
Mr. Anderson is owner of a finely improved and productive farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Perry township, which he manages in an able manner and which is well adapted in every way to general agricultural pursuits. He has a good residence and substantial outbuildings, and he raises an excellent grade of live stock, feeding large numbers from time to time for the market. His residence is one of the most attractive in the township and it stands in the midst of beautiful surroundings, and his barn is also one of the most desirable in this part of the county.
He has two sons, Frank J., born May 30, 1887, received both a good high school and business education, and graduated from Purdue University; in February, 1909, he married Zula PRICE, daughter of U. S. Price, of Perry township, and here she was reared and educated. To this union one child, a son, has been born, Hubert, whose birth occurred on November 4, 1911. Our subject's other son, Charles N., was born January 7, 1890. He attended school at Frankfort and was later a student at Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind. He married Olena WEAVER, of Frankfort, Ind. She is a daughter of Samuel Weaver and wife.
Politically the subject of this sketch is a Republican, and he has been more or less active in public affairs for years. Fraternally, he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Christian church and his wife is a member of the Catholic church. They stand high in all circles in which they move. Pages 465 - 467. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
ASHMAN, George, deceased,
was born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, October 15, 1792.
His parents, George and Ellen (CROMWELL) ASHMAN, were natives of
Pennsylvania and of English ancestry. He was raised on a farm and
on April 19, 1826, married Miss Jane SCOTT, daughter of James
SCOTT, also a native of Pennsylvania. He continued farming in his
native State until the spring of 1840, at which time he removed
to Clinton County, Indiana, and located on the land adjoining the
Antioch church and school-house in Jackson Township. Here he
resided during the remainder of his life. They were the parents
of seven children-George and Richard survive; James, John, Ellen,
David H. and Margaret R. are deceased. Mr. Ashman died May 5,
1849. His wife died October 9, 1870. Page 631 - 632 Source
SUBMITTER: Jim Ashman
ASHMAN, George, son
of the preceding, was born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania,
February 27, 1834. When six years of age he came with his parents
to Clinton County, and passed his youth working on his father's
farm and attending common schools. His education was completed at
Thorntown Academy, in Boone County Indiana. After the death of
his father he remained with his mother five or six years, then
started out for himself, first working by the month and then
renting land. In 1855 he went to Guthrie County, Iowa, and
entered a tract of land, remaining in that State two years. In
the fall of 1864 he enlisted in company D, Seventy-second
Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was subsequently
discharged on account of physical disability. September 2, 1864,
he was married to Mary E., daughter of Aaron and Louisa LESLIE,
the former a native of Kentucky and latter of France. They have
had four children - Emma, George C. and Oliver J. and one died
infancy. In 1857 he purchase his present farm which contains
ninety-six acres of improved land. Both are members of the
Presbyterian church. Mr. Ashman is a Prohibitionist. Page 632.
SUBMITTER: Jim Ashman
AUGHE, James P.
Among the younger element of tillers, of the soil in Forest township, Clinton county none is more deserving of specific mention in a volume of the nature of the one in hand than Joseph P. Aughe. This statement is made after observing the careful methods adopted by him and noting the well-kept condition of his farm. His early success is due to the fact that he started off on the right foot in the beginning and has worked persistently, keeping his eves open all the while.
Mr. Aughe was born August 10, 1888, in Washington township, this county. He is a son of Samuel and Mary J. (POTTER) AUGHE, an old family of this locality, for the father was born in the same township and county as was our subject, and the Aughes have been well known in this section from the early days, doing their full share of the work of development in all lines. Samuel Aughe grew to manhood on the old homestead and there he worked hard when a boy, and had little opportunity to obtain an education. He spent his life successfully engaged in general agricultural pursuits, providing well for his family. Politically, he was a Democrat, but was a quiet home man and took little interest in political affairs. His death occurred on July 13, 1910.
The mother of the subject of this sketch was born in the state of New York. She received a very good education, and she is still living. Mrs. Aughe was a faithful helpmeet and discreet mother. She has two children living and one deceased, namely: Fernie, the eldest; Joseph P., of this sketch, and Frederick, deceased.
Joseph P. Aughe grew to manhood on the home place and there he did his share of the work when growing to manhood. He received a good education in the local public schools and in the high school at Frankfort.
On September 12, 1906, Mr. Aughe took an important step by marrying Nellie SIMS, who was born in Forest township, Clinton county, February 9, 1890, and here she grew to womanhood and was educated in the common and high schools. She is a daughter of J. T. and Melissa (WHISLER) SIMS. Her father was born on December 7, 1858, in Clinton county, Indiana, and her mother was born on December 20 Of the same year, there being thus but a few days difference in their ages.
Two children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Mary Sims, born April 23, 1908, and Roxey Helen, born October 9, 1911.
After leaving school Mr. Aughe worked for an express company a short time, and then was a messenger for the American Express Company on the Big Four Railway for one year, giving entire satisfaction to his employers. Then, in 1910, he moved to his present place in Forest township, and began farming, which he is continuing with gratifying results, carrying on general farming and stock raising. He is making a specialty of raising jersey cows, Poland China hogs and a cross breed of Belgian horses. This fine and productive farm contains three hundred and forty acres, and is known as the J. T. SIMS farm.
Politically, Mr. Aughe is a Democrat. Fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Forest; also the Masonic Order and the Eastern Star. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Pages 924 & 925. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
AUBLE, George A., Jr.
Not everyone is capable of making a successful newspaper man. It is true that thousands of voting men just out of school take up the work because it requires no special college course to get ready and all the implements necessary are a sharpened pencil and a pad of note paper; but these same thousands soon drop out and turn their attention to something else. Why? Not because the work is not fascinating or remunerative, but because a successful journalist is, in a measure, like the poet, born -- especially gifted by nature. That does not mean that he is wiser than the average professional man, that he is a seer, a philosopher or genius, but that he has a peculiar fitness for this line of human endeavor. One of the men in Clinton county who was undoubtedly marked by mother nature for this vocation is George A. Auble, Jr., editor and publisher of the Forest Weekly News, one of the influential newspapers of this locality.
Mr. Auble was born March 5, 1889, near Las Vegas, New Mexico, and is therefore yet only a young man, but nevertheless a successful newspaper publisher. He is a son of George A. and Emma S. (NETTINGER) AUBLE. The father was born October 9, 1864, in Indianapolis, Indiana, and the mother March 29, 1865, at Geneseo, Illinois. She is a graduate of Ottawa, Illinois, high school, class of 1885. The father has been a successful implement dealer for nearly twenty years, and he was engaged in railroading for a period of seven years in the West. His family consisted of ten children: George A., Jr., Robert N., Ruth (deceased), Frank H., Sydney, Mary (deceased), Woodard, Muriel, Fred and Mildred.
George A. Auble, Jr., spent his early boyhood in the West, and in, 1894 removed with his parents to Forest, Clinton county, where he attended school, being grdauated (sic) from the common schools here in 1904, and from the high school in 1907. He attended Frankfort high school two years, being graduated from that institution in 1909, after which he attended the University of Indiana at Bloomington for a while.
Mr. Auble was married on December 24, 1910, to Grace ROBINSON, who was born in Geetingsville, Clinton county, April 11, 1891. She was a daughter of William A. and Dean (BECK) ROBINSON, an excellent old family of this locality, where they have spent their lives on a farm. Mrs. Auble was educated in the common schools of her community and at the high school in Frankfort. She was called to her eternal rest on December 18, 1911, without issue. She was a young lady of many winning characteristics, and a favorite in her home community.
After leaving school Mr. Auble engaged in the implement business for some time in Forest with his father. Later he purchased the Forest Weekly News, of which he has since been editor and publisher. He has also been successfully engaged as an electrical contractor for some time, being a skilled electrician. He has made his paper a bright and newsy sheet, which goes into many homes in this vicinity. Its subscription list is constantly growing and from a mechanical standpoint it is all that could be desired and ranks well with the weekly papers of the state.
Politically, Mr. Auble is independent, and fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Forest, also the Modern Woodmen here. He is a member of the Baptist church, being superintendent of the Sunday school and is an earnest and influential worker in the church. Pages 557 558 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
One of the most painstaking and successful farmers of Clinton county is John Ault, a man who has always advocated that whatever was worth doing at all was worth doing well, hence his continued success in his chosen line of endeavor. Being an omnivorous reader, he keeps well abreast of the times, not only in matters pertaining to agricultural affairs, but general topics, having the best current literature in his home.
Mr. Ault, like many of the enterprising people of this section, is a native of the Hoosier state, having been born in Hamilton county, Ind., February 25, 1862, the son of James and Mary (BILLHAYMER) AULT. He moved with his parents to Clinton county when he was six or eight years old. His father was born in Marion county, Ind., in 1830, and died in 1910. He was a farmer by vocation and politically was a Democrat. The mother was a native of Virginia, having been born there in 1832, and is still living. Both parents had a common school education. Seven children blessed the union: Catherine, Many, Christy, John and Andrew, twins, Rosy (deceased), and Nancy.
John was married November 24, 1889 to Mary E. WHITCOMB, who was born in Michigan township, this county, June 21, 1864, and was the daughter of John and Martha (STINSON) WHITCOMB. Her father was born March 12, 1832, in Tippecanoe county, Ind., and died April 17, 1905. The father was a farmer and a Republican. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Whitcomb: James H., William A. (deceased), Isaac M., Howard (deceased), Mary, Emma, Fred, Eliza, one infant not named, Leonard (deceased), and Orville. Mrs. Ault has a good common school education. To our subject and wife there have been born three children: Howard, July 23, 1890; Paul, January 17, 1892, and Ralph, a twin brother, now deceased.
Mr. Ault has always followed the farming vocation, and has made a success of it. He raises Jersey and Short Horn cattle in connection with farming, also Chester White and Poland China hogs. Belgian horses are a favorite breed of horses with him. He owns one hundred and forty-five acres of land, all tillable with the exception of ten acres which is in timber. The land is well tiled and improved. Mr. Ault built his own home thereon. Politically, Mr. Ault is a Democrat, but has never sought public office. pp. 835-836 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
AVERY, Artie M.
To be called a success when one is scarcely middle aged indicates that a man has managed well and worked hard, but that is the very thing that Artie M. Avery, for many years a well known farmer and stock man of Forest township, Clinton county, has attained to. Such a man is eminently entitled to mention in any history of his locality, and the biographer is therefore glad to pen the following brief line bearing on his personal record and that of his immediate family.
Mr. Avery was born on July 20, 1872 in Montgomery county, Indiana, but most of his life has been spent in Clinton county, whither he was brought when three years of age by his parents, Eli and Lou (WICK) AVERY. The father was born in Howard county, this state, on December 7, 1841, and he died at Frankfort, Indiana, October 12, 1881. The mother of our subject was born on October 8, 1846, in Pennsylvania, and her death occurred on July 2, 1875. These parents received common school educations. Eli Avery made his home principally at Frankfort, where he was for many years a clerk in the county treasurer's office. He never engaged in farming. Politically he was a Democrat. His family consisted of two children, Arista, born September 16, 1867; and Artie M., of this sketch. Eli Avery was twice married, our subject being by his first wife. His second wifes maiden name was Sally RIVERS. She was born in 1859, and is now living in Indianapolis. One child, Claude, born to them March 31, 1878, is now living in the town of Frankfort.
Artie M. Avery received a common school education. On December 17, 1895, he married Dora ALTIC, who was a native of Michigan township, this county, the date of her birth being March 18, 1881. She is a daughter of Joseph and Mary (COX) ALTIC. These parents are still living, making their home in Clinton county, engaged in farming near Frankfort. Mrs. Avery received a common school education in her native community.
Two children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Eva, born August 7, 1908; and Edward, whose birth occurred on June 24, 1912.
Mr. Avery has been engaged in general farming and stock raising practically all his life in Forest township, Clinton county, where he works one hundred and ten acres of valuable and well improved land, owned by Thomas Avery, an uncle, who is now living retired in Forest. It is all tillable but about thirteen acres, which is in woods, and the land is well tiled. Mr. Avery makes a specialty of raising jersey cows, Chester White and Duroc hogs and a general breed of horses.
Politically Mr. Avery is a Democrat. Pages 548 549 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Elwood Avery, formerly a prominent business man of Frankfort and popular official of Clinton county, since 1895 living in a life of honorable retirement in Indianapolis, is a native of Howard county, Indiana, where his birth occurred on December 23, 1845. His father, Enoch AVERY, was born in 1820 in Boone county, this state, and followed farming successfully in Michigan township to the time of his death, which occurred August 27, 1869. He took an active and influential part in developing the resources of his section of the country. In politics, he was a Democrat, though liberal in his views and in no sense a partisan, and in religion, the Christian church represented his creed. In 1840 he married Miss Rebecca ANDREWS, who was born in Asheville, North Carolina, February 6, 1815. She belonged to an old and respected Quaker family, but became a member of the Christian church. Her death occurred January 8, 1910, her husband having departed this life August 27, 1869. Enoch Avery was a Mason of high degree and a molder of opinions among his neighbors and friends. He traveled but little, never having been outside of his native state, except once when he made a brief trip to Iowa. He possessed a large and vigorous physique and was of magnificent proportions, being tall, well built and a splendid specimen of well-rounded, symmetrically-developed manhood.
Elwood Avery grew up on the family homestead in Michigan township, where he early became familiar with the rugged usages of farm life and learned to appreciate the value and dignity of honest toil. He received a good education for the period of which his childhood and youth were spent, assisted his father and engaged in teaching which, with farming, occupied his attention until his twenty-third year. He then severed home ties and in partnership with J. E. Hillis embarked in the wholesale and retail grocery business in Frankfort, building up a large and lucrative trade, which they continued together until 1878, when the subject disposed of his interest in the house to enter upon his duties as clerk of the Clinton county circuit court, to which office he was elected in that year. His efficiency and popularity as a public servant are sufficiently attested by his continuance in the above position for a period of eight year, at the expiration of which time, he became a member of the grocery firm of Avery & Gaskill, which lasted three years, doing a very satisfactory business the meanwhile.
Severing his connection with his partner at the end of the period indicated, Mr. Avery continued the grocery trade by himself until 1893, when, having accumulated a competency, he was enabled to retire, since which time he has lived in Indianapolis in the enjoyment of the fruits of his many years of successful effort as a business man. Politically, he is a Democrat of the old school and as such was elected to the office referred to which he so ably and judiciously filled. Religiously, he accepts the Sacred Scriptures as his only rule of faith and practice and is now an influential member of one of the Christian (Disciples) churches in the capital city.
Miss Jennie DOUGLASS, who became the wife of Mr. Avery, December 39, 1869, is, like himself, a native of Indiana, born in Michigantown in the year 1848. Their union has been blessed with three children, whose names are as follows: Harry W., who is still with his parents; Daisy, who holds and important position in the circulating department of the Indianapolis News, and Albert E., also a resident of that city. To Elwood Avery belongs the credit of establishing in Michigan township the railway station known as Avery Station. On the 28th day of May 1874, the first train of cars on what was known as the Frankfort and Kokomo railroad ran over the route from Frankfort to Kokomo. He also assisted materially in securing the location of the Clover Leaf shops at Frankfort.
The old Avery farm, which has never changed hands, is now owned by the eldest daughter, Mrs. Angelica WEST. pp. 804-805 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
AYRES, Jesse E.
Among the citizens of Washington township, Clinton county, who are especially deserving of mention in a volume like the one in hand is Jesse E. Ayres, partly because he has lived a life that is free from blame, and partly because he has been industrious and public spirited, never failing in the duties of citizenship. Such men are appreciated in any community, and this county has been fortunate in the possession of a large number of this type.
Mr. Ayres was born in this county on February 19, 1858. He is a son of John B. Ayres, also a native of this county, and a grandson of Albert G. Ayres, who was one of the early settlers of Clinton county, having come here in October, 1833, the family settling in the woods, but they were industrious and soon had land cleared, crops growing and a comfortable home established. The grandfather came from Butler county, Ohio. Albert G. Ayres was born in 1801, and his death occurred in 1884. The mother of our subject was known in her maidenhood is Mary J. Armentrout, a native of Ohio, also . She was a daughter of Matthew ARMENTROUT, a native of Virginia. John B. Ayres, father of our subject, made the overland trip to Pike's Peak in 1859. He was a soldier in the Civil War, enlisting in 1861 as a member of the Fortieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served three years, six months and five days, under both Grant and Sherman, and he fought in many battles. He was twice married. By his first wife one son was born, Jesse E., our subject. His last wife was Sarah Louisa CHAMBERS, a native of Ohio. By this union two children were born, namely: Albert G., a well-known citizen of Clinton county, and Mrs. Anna HORINE, who lives in Frankfort. The death of John B. Ayres occurred at Frankfort at the age of seventy-four years. He was an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He belonged to the Masonic Order.
Jesse E. Ayres was reared on the home farm and was educated in the public schools. He was married in 1880 to Sarah Tompson, of Center township, a daughter of Peter and Catherine C. (LEE) TOMPSON. To our subject and wife seven children have been born, two sons and five daughters, namely: Walter E., is a conductor on the Clover Leaf railroad; A. Grace, wife of Lee YOUNG, of this county; Mary E., wife of Charles FICKLE, of Madison township; Mrs. Maud RHODES, Mable F., Sarah B., and Floyd Peter.
Mr. Ayres is the owner of seventy-six acres of valuable and well improved land in Section 35, Washington township, where he carries on general farming and stock raising. He has a comfortable dwelling and good out-buildings. He also owns 160 acres in Union township.
Mr. Ayres is a member of the Presbyterian church, of which his family also are members. His great grand fathers on both sides were soldiers in the Mexican War. Pages 764 765. Source II Transcribed by Connie
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
Source III: History Of Clinton County, Indiana . together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. Published 1886 by Inter-State Publishing Co., Chicago.
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2000 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2000
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.