- BL to Br -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
DAVID BLACK, a substantial farmer of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Montgomery county, Ind., May 30, 1839, and descends from good old German stock, SCHWARTZ being the original name in German. Daniel Black, the great-grandfather of our subject, was born on the ocean, while his parents were on their way to America. Growing up on the solid land, however, he entered 160 acres in Preble county, Ohio, where he passed his life. Daniel Black, his son, was born, was married, and died on his father's farm. He served in the war of 1812, was a strong Methodist, and was the father of the following children: David, Uri, and Thomas J. Uri Black, son of Daniel, was born on the old farm in Preble county, Ohio, November 6, 1806, was a blacksmith by trade, came to Indiana in 1833, and entered 160 acres of land in Montgomery county, near the Boone county line; this farm he improved, but later sold and bought one near Thorntown, on which he lived eleven years and then sold; in 1865 he came to Clinton county and purchased 245 acres, on which he resided until his death in 1882. He married Mary Ann WOLF, daughter of John WOLF. Mr. Black was a stanch republican and served as justice of the peace many years; he was a devout Methodist, and was a class leader at Thorntown. His children were born in the following order: George W., William L., Daniel, John, Henry H., David, James F., Uri, Jesse L., Mary E., and Sarah C.
David Black, son of the above and subject proper of this biographical sketch, was educated in the old-time log school house, common in his early day. September 19, 1861, he enlisted for three years in company I, Tenth I. V. I., and took part in the following engagements: Mill Springs, Corinth, Perryville, Tullahoma, Pittsburg Landing, Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Kenesaw Mountain, Lost Mountain, Big Shanty, Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, Hoover's Gap, Chattahoochee River, Rolling Fork, and others. At Rolling Fork he caught a bullet in his haversack; at Missionary Ridge his hat was blown off by concussion of a shell; at Chattanooga a sixty-two pound shell passed between his legs and buried itself in the ground, covering him all over with dirt. Notwithstanding all these "close calls," Mr. Black escaped being wounded, and was absent from duty only a few days, while sick in the Kingston, Ga., hospital. At Tunnell Hill Mr. Black was offered a corporalship, but he refused to accept the position unless elected to it, and elected he was. He received an honorable discharge September 19, 1864, and now receives a pension of eighteen dollars per month. Mr. Black is a member of the F. & A. M., and has passed all the chairs of Herman lodge, No. 184; he is now senior grand in the Michigantown lodge of the I. O. O. F. , and is a member of Rubicon Lodge, No. 340, K. of P. Mr. Black was married December 12, 1865, to Miss Melissa E. Van Ausdall, daughter of Henry and Sarah A. (DEEM) VAN AUSDALL. Mrs. Sarah A. (Deem) Van Ausdell was a full cousin of Gov. CAMPBELL of Ohio. Mr. Van Ausdall is a highly educated gentleman and has long been a teacher in graded and high schools. The children born to the marriage of Mr. Black are named Howard L., Laurie E., John C. and Maud F. Mr. Black has a fine farm of ninety-nine acres, improved with every modern convenience. He and family hold the respect of all their neighbors. pages 587 and 588. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
BLAIR, Anson H.
Anson H. Blair, stave-dealer, Crawfordsville, was born in Jefferson, Clinton county, Indiana, November 16, 1831. His boyhood was spent working and going to school. His parents came to Crawfordsville in 1852. His father, John W., died about 1874, and his mother, Eliza, in 1877. Mr. Blair began for himself by selling dry goods in this city, when twenty years old, and followed that about two years, and then went into general merchandising for four years. He was also engaged for twelve years in pork packing and groceries. Since then he has been engaged in the manufacture of staves and headings. Mr. Blair has been quite successful in life. In politics he is a strong adherent to the principals of the republican party. He was married in 1861, to Miss Helen L. Elston. She is a graduate of Star Seminary. They have one child, Anna E., born September 28, 1863, and has attended the high school of this city, and the female seminary at Indianapolis one year. She and her mother are members of the Methodist church. Mr. Blair has a fine residence on Main street.
Source: History of Montgomery County, H. W. Beckwith, H. H. Hill and N. Iddings, Publishers, Chicago, 1881. Page 264
Transcribed by Lena
BLAIR, William E.
It takes a farmer to succeed on a farm, just as it takes a clerical man to succeed in office work, an engineer with a locomotive, an architect in architecture, or a musician in music. A man always a farmer can not move into town and make himself indispensable in an art studio, nor can the artist, the hand-organ man, the store salespeople, those from the factories or the law offices become prosperous very readily as tillers of the earth, or salesmen of its products. No greater disaster could come to the masses in cities than to thrust them unprepared into the strange situations they would encounter in attempted farm life. Their story would be one of tragedy. One of the citizens of Forest township, Clinton county, who has ben (sic) wise enough to stick to one vocation all his life and who has therefore succeeded is William E. Blair.
Mr. Blair was born on August 2, 1857, in Decatur county, Indiana, and there he spent his earlier years and received his schooling, removing to Clinton county in 1879, about the time he attained his majority, and here he has lived ever since and has engaged continuously in farming. He is a son of Joseph and Nancy (EVANS) BLAIR. The father was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, where he spent his early life and attended the old-time schools. He removed from that county to Decatur county, Indiana, in young manhood. He spent his life on a farm. Politically he was a Democrat. His death occurred in 1876. He was twice married, first in Ohio, this wife surviving but a short time. By his second wife, mother of our subject, three children were born, namely: Samuel, died in early life; William E., of this review ,and Lou, the youngest.
On August 22, 1882, William E. Blair was married to Arabella ASHPAW, a sister of Charles ASHPAW, a sketch of whom appears on an other page of this volume, where a history of the Ashpaw family will be found. Mrs. Blair grew up in her native community and received a common school education.
Five children, three of whom are still living, have been born to Mr. Blair and wife, namely: Mabel, born January 1, 1884, died in May 1903; Gladys, born in 1886, died in 1911; Emma, born in 1885; Ruth, born in 1892; James Ramond, born in 1897.
Mr. Blair's farm consists of one hundred and eighteen acres in Forest township, all tillable, but about eight acres. The place has a good natural drainage, and is also well tiled. Mr. Blair has made his own splendid improvements. He raises Jersey cows and mixed hogs, draft and Norman horses, and Plymouth Rock chickens.
Politically, he is a Democrat, and in religious matters belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is a trustee and an earnest worker.
pp. 541-542 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BLANCHE, Daniel A.
Michigan township is rich in agricultural holdings, and her farmers are representative and typical of the best in the Hoosier state. Daniel A. Blanche occupies a conspicuous position among these men, and his reputation has been the result of unremitting toil and cooperation with other men. Often he has put his shoulder to a friend's wheel without thought of personal benefit. Such qualities stamp a man with the seal of divine approval.
Daniel Blanche was born August 10, 1865 in Howard county, Ind., and moved to that part of Johnson township that afterwards included in Forest township in 1874. In 1902 he moved to Michigan township where he has lived ever since. He is the son of John T. and Mary (BRUMMIT) BLANCHE. His father was born in France and moved to the United States with his parents when a small child, settling in Howard county, Ind., and died in 1910, after an active life in farming and politics. He was a Republican. The mother was born in the state of Ohio in 1835, and died in 1889. Eight children were born of the union: Patton, Anna, Daniel, Ruth (deceased), Ella, Nicholas, Rinda, and Garfield. John T. Blanche was twice married.
After a good common school education our subject began life as a farmer. With the exception of one year in the hardware business he has continued an agricultural life ever since. He owns one hundred and forty acres, all of which is tillable with the exception of two acres. The land is well tiled and fenced. Besides general farming Mr. Blanche raises Shorthorn and Jersey cows and a mixed breed of hogs, also horses. Politically, Mr. Blanche is a Republican and religiously he is a member of the Christian church.
In 1891 he was married to Amanda JENKINS, who was born May 5, 1869, in Michigan township, this county, and was the daughter of Howard and Malicia (CLARK) JENKINS. Her mother was a native of this county and her father was a farmer, now retired and living in Michigantown. Mrs. Blanche received a good common school education in her youth. One child has been born to them, Inna, September 21, 1894, now at home.
pp. 825-826 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BLINN, Jesse C.
It is a pleasure to sketch the biography of the old veterans of the Civil war, because their lives are interesting arid surrounded by a glamor (sic) of romance. We place them upon a pedestal in our minds and view them with wonder. To the younger generation the exciting days of '61 and '65 seem far away, and to be permitted the pleasure of hearing the talk of men to whom the days seem but yesterday, is indeed a pleasure to be sought and cherished. The subject of this sketch faithfully played his part in the war drama, and lives today, a veritable magazine of reminiscences. Since the day of Robert E. Lee's surrender, Jesse C. Blinn has lived a life of valuable achievement in his chosen field, farming.
Mr. Blinn places the date of his birth on January 4, 1840, the place Center township, Clinton county. He was the son of Jacob and Lucinda (THATCHER) BLINN, who were among the earliest settlers in this county, having come here in the year 1830 from Warren county, O., where they were married. The father remained a farmer all of his life, and raised a family of six children: Adam (deceased), Amos (deceased), Julia (deceased), George, Jesse C., and Mary.
In his youth, Jesse Blinn attended the common schools and subsequently engaged in agricultural pursuits. The call for volunteers in 1861 was an irresistible attraction for him, and on September 19, 1861 he enlisted in Company K. Tenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Captain Shortle in charge. His regiment became a part of the famous Army of the Cumberland, commanded by General Thomas. Mr. Blinn was mustered out in Indianapolis, Ind., on September 19, 1864. His regiment had a brilliant war record, having participated in no less than twenty-two important battles.
Mr. Blinn lost no time after his retirement from the army to seek the girl who had waited for him. He and Margaret E. GADDIS were wedded in 1864. She was the daughter of John and Hannah Gaddis, very old settlers in the county. To them there have been born two children, Ora and Clare.
Mr. Blinn continued the work of farming until the year 1881 and then sought retirement, choosing Frankfort, Ind., as his home. Mr. Blinn has been identified with several notable movements while he has lived there. For several years he was an energetic and worthy member of the city council. Mr. Blinn constructed the opera house in Frankfort, which ranks as one of the most complete and artistic theaters in the state of Indiana. Since building it, however, Mr. Blinn has not taken active charge, but has kept it under lease.
Mr. Blinn is a Methodist and a Republican, both of which are good affiliations. He has not taken an ostentatious position in his services to the community, but has preferred to be numbered among the silent workers.
Pages 706 & 707 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
BLISS, Selden E.
SELDON E. BLISS, a prosperous carpenter and ex-soldier of Colfax, Clinton county, Ind., is of Scotch-Irish descent, coming from a New York family of colonial antiquity. His father, Elias BLISS, a native of the Empire state, was a carpenter and farmer, was an early settler of Ohio, and is still living, at the age of seventy-nine years; his mother died six years ago, in Ohio, a devout member of the Methodist church. Selden E. Bliss was married June 28, 1868, to Lucinda E. Baker, daughter of Daniel and Rachel (MATTIX) BAKER. Daniel BAKER came from Ohio to Indiana in the Early history of Clinton county, and entered and cleared up eighty acres of land, but lost his wife July 18, 1888: she took a deep interest in religion and died strong in the faith of the United Brethren church. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. BLISS were born the following children: Flora M., Charles E., Edward L. (deceased), Rachel E. and Genevieve E. Mr. Bliss has made a success in life and is the owner of a very pleasant residence and fine city lots. For over three years he did good and faithful service under his country's flag, and a brief record is here given of his military career: At the age of eighteen he enlisted for three years, November 6, 1861, in company C, Fortieth I. V. I., and saw his first battle at Shiloh; he was next in the siege of Corinth; then at Perryville , Ky.; then in the battle of Stone River; was at Waldron's Ridge and at Missionary Ridge was wounded, having a great toe shot away, and for several weeks was in the convalescent camp at Chattanooga: then joined his regiment at Tullahoma, Tenn.; was in front of Dalton and at Reseca, and was here hit by a spent ball in the left arm; fought at Kenesaw Mountain and at Peach Tree Creek and Spring Hill; back to Franklin down on the Atlanta campaign for ninety days; was with Thomas in pursuit of Hood, fighting until the latters army was scattered, and, in fact, was with the army of the Cumberland in all its marches, engagements and victories, from the time of his enlistment until his final discharge at Nashville, December 10, 1864. For all this hard service his grateful country now allows him a pension of $14 per month. Mr. Bliss is a member of Stillwell post, No. 375, G. A. R., and in politics is a republican.
p. 591 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
BLYSTONE, Samuel M. ,
SAMUEL M. BLYSTONE, a substantial farmer and ex-soldier of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., is of German descent, but of an old American family, his grandfather Blystone having been a hero in the Revolutionary army. Moses Blystone, father of Samuel M., was a native of Ohio and came to Clinton county, Ind., with the early settlers. He married Hannah PARIS, daughter of Richard and Eva PARIS, natives of Alabama. To this marriage the following children have been born: George F., William J., Josephus and Samuel M. Excepting George F., these sons were all in the late war. Samuel M. Blystone was born in Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., April 5, 1844, and has been a farmer from his youth up. In the fall of 1864, Mr. Blystone enlisted in company G, Fifty first regiment Indiana volunteer infantry, and was assigned to the army of the Cumberland under Gen. Thomas. He participated in the campaigns of Tennessee, Alabama, and the battles of Columbus, Bridgeport, Franklin and Nashville. In the first days battle at Nashville. In the first days battle at Nashville a shell exploded near him and the concussion rendered him senseless for more than an hour; the second day a minie ball struck his hand, necessitating his transfer to the hospital; while convalescing he was attacked by the measles, which settled on his lungs, permanently disabling him. He was honorably discharged in the fall of 1865, and now receives a pension of $14 per month, and is a dormant member of the G. A. R. In 1871 Mr. Blystone married Miss Mary Wilson, daughter of George M. and Lucinda (KENT) WILSON, the former of whom was a farmer of Clinton county. Mr. Blystone at once settled on his farm of 120 acres, which is well improved and cultivated. They have two childrenMark M. and Hattie B. both married and doing for themselves.
pages 591-592. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
BOND, Marion Uriah
MARION URIAH BOND is a worthy representative of the business interests of Kirklin, Clinton county, Ind., is a valued citizen and an honored veteran of the late war. He is now engaged in the hardware and agricultural implement business. He came of an old family of Dutch origin, but his grandfather was an Ohio farmer. His father, Elias J. BOND, was born in Ohio, in 1823, and on attaining his majority married Margaret SLAGLE, who was born in 1826. Their children were Marion U.; Mary A., wife of William WOOD; David P., who wedded Ruth ELMORE; Sarah E., wife of Jasper JOHNSON; James P., who wedded Mary RICKETTS; Desta, wife of William WOODS; George E., who married Ella WELLS; Jesse B., who married Matilda ELKENSON; and Stephen A., deceased. Mr. Bond owned about 1,000 acres of improved land. He had only $200 at the time of his marriage, and by hard labor, perseverance and economy, he acquired a handsome competence. In politics he was an old-line whig and afterward became a republican. Both he and his wife belonged to the Christian church. He was a straightforward, industrious man, who had the respect of his neighbors, and was often appointed guardian for young children. He and his wife now live retired in Clinton county.
M. U. Bond was born in Ohio, July 19, 1844, was reared on the old homestead farm and remained with his parents until August 7, 1863, when he joined company B, One Hundred and Sixteenth Illinois infantry, under Capt. Dutch. After drilling for some thirty days, the regiment started from La Fayette to Fort Durbon, Mich., and guarded the arsenal at that place for a month. Thence they proceeded to Tennessee and participated in the battle of Bull's Gap, which was a hard-fought engagement. They then crossed the mountains into North Carolina; and for seven days they were without provisions, save what they could gather from the surrounding country. This caused them to retreat, which they did, cutting the timber behind them in order to impede the advance of the enemy's artillery. About this time Mr. Bond was taken with the measles, but was forced to march through mud and rain, and when his fever was the highest had to ford Clinch River For a week afterward he lay unconscious and when he recovered found himself in an old log church surrounded by many of his companions, all lying on the floor. The guerrillas made a raid on this place, set fire to the church and some of the soldiers who were unable to help themselves perished in the flames. Mr. Bond succeeded in getting away from the building and was afterward taken to Cumberland Gap, where he was forced to lie on the ground in a tent. Those who were able had to forage for their food. About this time a young colored girl came to the tents, and Mr. Bond says to her he owes his life, for she gathered herbs and roots, from which she made teas which proved very beneficial to the patients. The regiment then again proceeded to the front, and two weeks later was sent to Camp Nelson, in Kentucky, where for the first time the sick and wounded received the attention which they so much required. Mr. Bond's health was so greatly impaired that he was granted a furlough and returned home. In March, 1864, on a physician's certificate of disability, he was mustered out and again went to his father's farm.
On the 15th of March, 1865, Mr. Bond married Mrs. Eliza A. WHALEN, who was born in 1842, and is a daughter of Dudley and Mary Holden. To them have been born eight children: Gazaro Almeda, Lou Edna, John W., Gertrude, Milford M., Clarence, Lottie and Flossie. Mrs. Bond owned sixty-five acres of land, and to that farm the young people removed, making it their home for eight years, when they traded it for ninety-three acres in Kirklin township. This was afterward exchanged for a farm of 225 acres on the Michigantown road, and to its cultivation Mr. Bond devoted his energies until 1892, when he removed to the town of Kirklin and purchased an interest in the Frazier & Bond roller process flouring mill. They also bought and sold grain during one season. The partnership was then dissolved, and our subject afterward bought out Robert THOMAS, and began dealing in shelf and heavy hardware, tinware, agricultural implements, buggies and wagons He has prospered in this line and has a constantly increasing business. He is also a stockholder in the Kirklin Natural Gas company. Mr. Bond has served as road superintendent of his township, is an active republican, and has frequently been delegate to the county and congressional conventions, He holds membership with the Christian church, and belongs to Chickamauga post, No. 44, G. A. R., of which he has been assistant treasurer for twenty years, also belongs to Kirklin lodge, No. 443, F. & A. M., in which he has been actively interested since its organization, more than twenty-five years ago. He is also noble grand in Kirklin lodge, No. 299, I. 0.0. F. He is a faithful citizen, who is as loyal to his country in the days of peace as when he followed the stars and stripes on southern battle fields.
Pages 592-593 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
BONHAM, David M.
DAVID M. BONHAM, M. D., of Edna Mills, Ross township, Clinton county, Ind., is one of the leading physicians of his county, and a prominent citizen, coming from an old colonial Virginia family. His grandfather, Benjamin Bonham, was born at Oldtown, Va., of German stock. He married, in Virginia, Susan ZINGER, and to them were born five children, viz: Susan, Wesley, Samuel, Jeremiah and David. At an early age Dr. Benjamin Bonham settled in Shelby county, Ohio, practiced medicine for many years, and died of heart disease while visiting a patient. His wife also practiced medicine extensively for twenty years, and rode horseback far and wide. Jeremiah Bonham, son of above and father of our subject, was born in Virginia and went to Ohio with his parents at three years of age. He married Mary Fee, daughter of John and Ann (GORDON) FEE, natives of Kentucky. John fee was a substantial farmer of Shelby county, Ohio, and gave all his children a farm. To Jeremiah Bonham and wife were born four children: David M., Susan, Nancy and Francis. Jeremiah Bonham died at the age of sixty-three years. He and wife were members of the Methodist church, and he was an honorable, industrious man.
Dr. David M. Bonham was born in Shelby county, Ohio, September 15, 1849, received a common school education and taught seven terms in Ohio, beginning at sixteen years of age. He commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Julian Sharp, of Cridersville, Ohio, and attended the Eclectic Medical institute, of Cincinnati, Ohio, receiving his diploma in 1869, and also attended the Michigan university, at Ann Arbor, receiving his diploma from that renowned institution in 1874. He first began the practice of medicine in Sidney, Ohio, in 1869, remaining five years, and then practiced at Pleasant Hill, Ohio, three years, and was then at New Vienna, Ohio, six years. He came to Edna Mills, Ind., in 1885. The doctor has been phenomenally successful in his profession, and has built up a large and lucrative practice that extends from Edna Mills far and wide through the surrounding counties. He provides his own medicines, that his patients may have them pure, and he always has on hand a large and well selected stock, which he keeps in the most systematic order, so that mistakes are almost impossible, and his methods are commended by all physicians who see his plan. Dr. Bonham is a patron of the leading medical journals of the day, keeps well read up, and is a member of the State Medical society, Homeopathic institute, and is president of the Bureau. Dr. Bonham married Della Symons, daughter of John SYMONS, and to Dr. and Mrs. Bonham were born two children - Gale and Ray. Mrs. Bonham died in 1884, and the doctor next married Dora, daughter of Samuel OLDHAM, and to this union have been born four children, viz: Lonnie, Bessie, Russell and Samuel. Dr. Bonham has prospered, and is the owner of a tasteful residence and other town property. He and wife are members of the German Baptist church. The doctor is a man of broad mind, and is highly respected as a physician and citizen. He is entirely a self-made man, having began life as a school teacher.
pp.593 594 Source I
Transcribed by Connie
BOOMER, Hobert A. ,
superintendent of the Toledo division of the Toledo, St. Louis
& Kansas City railroad, was born in Philo, Champaign county,
Ill., on the thirteenth day of October, 1862. He is a son of
Andrew B. and Permelia (SEYMOUR) BOOMER, who were born, reared
and married in New York, from which state they removed to Philo,
Ill., in 1852. The Boomers are of Scotch ancestry, and the
Seymours of English progenitors. Hobert A. was given an ordinary
education, such as the country schools of his neighborhood
afforded and passed his earlier days on his father's farm. At the
age of sixteen years, he went into the office of the Wabash
railway at Philo, his home, and there began what has been a
brilliant career as a railroad man. His first position was that
of station agent and operator for the Wabash railroad at
Edwardsville, Ill, This position he held for three years and
resigned, that he might become the first station agent and
operator for the Toledo, St. Louis & Kansas City railroad, at
Edwardsville. This position Mr. Boomer held for a little over
three months, and was then promoted to dispatcher in the
superintendent's office at Charleston, Ill., which office was
later changed to Frankfort, then to Toledo, then back to
Frankfort. During the meantime Mr. Boomer remained as dispatcher,
but, in 1889, his position was changed to that of train master, a
position he held until February, 1894, when he was promoted to
his present position. As a railroader, Mr. Boomer is regarded as
a man of unusual ability. He is still young, but not withstanding
this his promotions to high and responsible positions have been
November 5, 1891, Mr. Boomer was married to Miss Lillian B. LUNDY, daughter of Ira C. and Margaret J. (HART) LUNDY, of Indianapolis. Mrs. Boomer was born near Columbus, Ind., but reared at Indianapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Boomer have one child, Margaret. Mr. Boomer is one of the representative citizens of Frankfort, where he has claimed a residence since the year 1885. In his profession he is an "all round" man and very efficient affording the fullest satisfaction to his employers, while socially he sustains a position of which any person might well be proud, and Frankfort could not well afford to lose so valuable a citizen.
Page 900. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
BOULDEN, Asa H.
ASA H. BOULDEN --- Conspicuous among the successful lawyers of the Frankfort bar is Asa H. Boulden, a native of Clinton county, Ind., and son of James N. and Sarah A. (ELMORE) BOULDEN. The Bouldens were among the early pioneers of Clinton, moving to this part of the state about the year 1830, and in the growth and development of the county they have ever taken an active and prominent part. To the union of James and Sarah Boulden were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom with one exception reside in or near Frankfort at the present time. Their names are as follows: Asa H., Horace G. (deceased), William A. Mortimer D., Oliver J., Hattie M., Charles E., and Forest M. Of the above, William A. is a farmer; Mortimer, Hattie, Oliver and Forest are well-known teachers of Clinton county, and Charles E. is the present efficient surveyor.
Asa H., the immediate subject of notice, was born on the second day of October, 1854, and remained under the parental roof until his eighteenth year, attending in the meantime the schools of the neighborhood. After his marriage, which was consummated in the year 1874, with Mary J. HARDESTY, Mr. Boulden engaged in pursuit of agricultural in White county, where he remained two years, at the end of which time, he returned to Clinton county, and for the three years succeeding followed farming with reasonably fair results in the township of Kirklin. During the next few years he carried on general trading in connection with agriculture, and in 1879 engaged in the lumber business at he town of Kirklin, where, in addition to buying and selling lumber and timber, he operated a saw-mill for about one year. His next venture was as a dealer in slack barrel staves, at the town of Kirklin, in partnership with Robert Stoops, Esq., where he remained one year and then embarked in the drug trade at Kirklin for three years as a member of the firm of Davis & Boulden, doing a very lucrative business in the interim.
Exchanging his interest in the above house for a general stock of clothing, Mr. Boulden dealt in the latter line for a limited period at Kirklin and then moved his business to the town of Sheridan, Hamilton county, where he remained one year, disposing of his stock at the end of that time and retiring permanently form the mercantile trade. While residing at Kirklin Mr. Boulden filed the office of justice of the peace for four years, and in the meantime, having selected law as a profession, he began preparing himself for the same by a course of reading, which he pursued assiduously during his incumbency and afterwards. He resigned the justiceship in 1886, and, coming to Frankfort, entered the office of Bristow & Higginbotham, the leading law firm of the city, and after his admission to the bar, in March of that year, he at once entered upon the active practice of his profession with the above-named gentleman, continuing a member of this firm until its dissolution, two years later. During the next four years, Mr. Boulden was associated in the praetice (sic) with Messrs. Bristow & Beard, and at the end of that time he was appointed deputy prosecutor of Clinton county, the duties of which he discharged in a creditable manner for a period of three years. His next partner was Marcellus Bristow, with whom he remained one year, and after practicing alone for the same length of time, he effected a co-partnership with A. M. Waters, which was dissolved one year later, since which time Mr. Boulden has been alone in the practice. Mr. Boulden has led an active and industrious life, and in his profession has earned the reputation of a capable and honorable lawyer, a safe counselor, an able advocate, and a suceessful (sic) general practitioner. Among his professional associates of the Clinton bar he is highly esteemed, and as a citizen fully alive to all that benefits the public, he is progressive and energetic in the sense in which those terms are usually understood. Politically his allegiance is with the republican party, but he is not a partisan in the sense of seeking the honors or emoluments of office. Fraternally he belongs to the I. 0. 0. F., and to the Royal Order of Moose. Mr. and Mrs. Boulden have two children - James, deceased, and Millie A.
pp.594 595 Source I
Transcribed by Connie
BOULDEN, Melville Forest, M.D.
The medical profession his a worthy exponent in Clinton county in the person of Dr. Melville Forest Boulden, of Frankfort, who, because of his skill and long years of practice here is well known throughout this locality and who ranks high among his professional brethren in this section of the Hoosier state. He was, it seems, well adapted by nature for the vocation, being in the first place, a student, who has kept well abreast of the times in everything that pertains to his work, and also the possessor of those personal traits which one must have in order to be popular with the masses. He is a man who can be depended upon and his hundreds of patients know that they can repose the utmost confidence in him and rely upon his judgment. He is also of a sociable and optimistic nature, and believes in finding the silver lining to every cloud, maintaining that all clouds have such, and that the obstacles we daily encounter on the road of life should but serve to arouse our combative nature and cause us to accomplish more rather than yield to the perverse rulings of fate.
Dr. Boulden was born August 4, 1869, in Clinton county. He is a son of J. N. and Sarah Ann (ELLMORE) BOULDEN, who came to Clinton county as early as 1830 and here lived the life of pioneers, and took an active part in the early development of their community. They were frugal and hard-working, and consequently established a good home in due course of time. They were noted for their honesty, hospitality and true Christian impulses. To them nine children were born: Asa H., Horace G., William A., Mortimer D., Oliver J., Hattie M., Charles E., Dr. Melville Forest, of this sketch, and Edward, who died in childhood. These children received excellent educational advantages and some made noted teachers; four of the family being engaged in teaching at the same time.
After attending the public schools at Frankfort, Dr. Boulden entered the Danville Normal, from which he was graduated in 1899, after which he taught school for six years in his native county, and was making a great success as an educator; but tiring of the school room, and believing that his true bent lay along another line, he entered the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, where he made an excellent record during the three years he spent there. He then spent a year in the Illinois Medical College in Chicago from which he was graduated with the class of 1903. He then took a hospital course in Louisville, graduating September 30, 1903. During his spare time from college he practiced his profession at Brookville, Ind., under Dr. Buckingham. In 1904 he located in Frankfort, where he has since remained, having built up a large and lucrative practice and taking his place in the front rank of local medical men. He is one of the most successful general practitioners the county has ever known. He is a member of the Clinton County Medical Society and the Indiana State Medical Society. Under his brother, Charles E. Boulden, the doctor was deputy county surveyor. Politically, he is a Republican, and religiously, a member of the Christian chruch. (sic) He belongs to the Masonic Order., Blue Lodge and Chapter at Frankfort.
Dr. BOULDEN was married in October, 1894, to Millie BUCKINGHAM, a lady of refinement and winning personality. She was born in Brookville, Ind., June 15, 1875. She is a daughter of Erasmus and Jennie (MYERS) BUCKINGHAM, a highly esteemed old family of Brookville, where Mrs. Boulden grew to womanhood, getting her education there and in the Frankfort high school.
The union of the doctor and wife has been blessed by the birth of two children, Herbert, born May 26, 1896, now attending school; and Beatrice, born September 24, 1900, also a student. Pages 722 723. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
BOWEN, William S.
Owen township, Clinton county, has man first-class farmers who are making a comfortable living and proving to be excellent citizens in every way, and among them the name of William S. Bowen should be included, not that he farms on an extensive scale as some of the men of this locality or that he is a leader in public affairs, but because he does exceptionally well whatever he undertakes and he is interested in whatever movement that tends toward the upbuilding of the community.
Mr. Bowen was born on July 8, 1865, in Carroll county, Indiana. He is a son of Samuel and Matilda (SHAFFOR) BOWEN. The father was born in 1821 in Butler county, Ohio, the county of good old Buckeye state that has sent so many enterprising citizens to Clinton county, Indiana. He moved from there in 1828, when seven years old, with the rest of the family, which located in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, among the pioneers of that locality. They lived a while in the first court house of that county, and, finally being compelled to move from there so that a session of court could be held, the family came to Ross township, Clinton county, being thus pioneers here also. They worked hard clearing the wild land and developing a farm. Here Samuel Bowen grew to manhood and worked hard on the home place. He received a meager education in the early-day schools, and he devoted his life to general farming. In Carroll county he married Matilda Shaffor, who was born June 2, 1825, in Butler county, Ohio. To this union eleven children were born: Menerva, Etta M., Elvina Jane, Martha L., and William S. The father of the above named children reached the advanced age of eighty-five years.
William S. Bowen grew to manhood on the home farm and there he worked when a boy. He received his education in the common schools. On November 11, 1893, he married Keturah HURLEY, who was born in Owen township, Clinton county, December 21, 1876. She is a daughter of Joshua and Rebecca (BREEDLOVE) HURLEY, both natives of Howard county, Indiana. The mother is now deceased, but the father is living. Mrs. Bowen grew up in her native community and received there a common school education.
To Mr. and Mrs. Bowen four children have been born: Walter, August 30, 1894; Cora, March 13, 1896; Willard, November 14, 1897, and Ersie, April 2, 1899.
Mr. Bowen has always engaged in farming, first in Carroll county, this state, where he got a good start, and remained until 1900, when he removed to Clinton county and located in Owen township, where he has resided ever since. He owns a very productive and well kept place of eighty acres, on which stand good buildings. His land is all under cultivation but about four acres. He built his own home and made other first-class improvements here. He raises Shorthorn cows and Duroc hogs along with a few Chester Whites; also general purpose horses.
Politically, Mr. Bowen is Republican, and fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Sedalia, and the Improved Order of Red Men at Moran. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church.
pp. 854-855 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOYD, William P.
One of the business men of Colfax, Clinton county, who has learned the secrets of success in life is William P. Boyd, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stable, also a dealer in carriages, buggies and wagons, a man widely known about the county and respected by all, for his dealings with his fellow men have ever been above board, straight from the shoulder out and based on the highest standards of business ethics, so that his patrons and customers are always well satisfied with the treatment which he uniformly accords them; in short, he believes in the old adage of living and let live. While passing through life he does not believe in laboring solely for his own agrandisement (sic), but in giving a neighbor a helping hand occasionally, which is the true spirit of brotherhood and the true source of happiness.
Mr. Boyd was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, on a farm, August 4, 1851, and he spent his boyhood years on a farm, assisting with the general work there, and during the brief winter months he attended the common schools of this locality. He is a son of John BOYD and wife. The father, born in Ohio in 1829, spent his life in general farming and stock raising, and was an honest, industrious man who was liked by all his neighbors. In 1853 he removed with his family to Clinton county, when our subject was two years old, and settled in a heavily timbered section, establishing there the future home of the family. He set to work with a will, being a man of grit and perseverance, and, in due course of time, he had cleared his land, had a good productive farm under cultivation and was raising an excellent grade of live stock. There the parents of our subject spent the balance of their lives, the father dying there in July, 1900, at the age of seventy-one years, the mother in Lafayette, Ind., in the year 1907, at the age of seventy-six years. Five children, one son and four daughters, were born to John Boyd and wife.
The subject of this sketch devoted the earlier years of his life to general agricultural pursuits and met with a large measure of success from the start. He was owner of a finely improved and productive farm of one hundred and forty acres, three miles east of Colfax, known as the Valley Stock Farm, and which was regarded as one of the choice farms of that section of the county, and abundant harvests repaid Mr. Boyd annually for his toil and good management. But finally deciding to enter the business arena he removed to Colfax a number of years ago and is now operating one of the most popular livery, feed and sale stables in this section of the country, being well equipped in the way of horses, buggies, etc., to accommodate the traveling public. He is also a dealer in buggies, wagons and carriages, handling an excellent line of standard makes on which he has built up a wide and constantly growing trade with the surrounding country. His barn is near the Union station and convenient to the business center of Colfax. It is thirty-six by sixty feet, with an addition of fifty by sixty feet. His carriage room is twenty by sixty feet. His aim is always to give hi smany (sic) customers honest and satisfactory treatment, his prices and terms always being reasonable.
Mr. Boyd was married in February, 1901, to Della PHILLIPS (nee ISENBARGER), who was born in 1857 in Clinton county, and is a daughter of George and Annie ISENBARGER. Mr. Boyd had formerly been married to Marion PHILLIPS.
To our subject and wife one son has been born, Charles A. Boyd, now fourteen years of age. Opal DAVIS also lives with them.
Politically Mr. Boyd is a Democrat, and is a member of the Church of God. Physically he is of large proportions, being five feet and eight inches tall and weighing two hundred and ten pounds, but is very active and a good business man and popular in Clinton county, where he has lived practically all his life.
pp. 592-593 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOYER. George S.
The name of Boyer has been signicant (sic) in the agricultural development of Clinton coutny (sic) since the early history of the locality, when the courageous pioneers blazed their way into the forests and endured the hardships in order to establish a home that their children might have lives of happiness and prosperity. Our subject's father was one of the loyal legion of settlers who found a habitation of Indians and animals in the Hoosier territory, and with primitive tools cleared their settlements. George S. Boyer has continued the work inaugurated by his father, and has upheld the family reputation for honesty of purpose, sympathetic cooperation with others, and obedience to the laws of ethics which civilization demands.
George S. Boyer was born in Sugar Creek township, this county, on November 26, 1862, and was the son of Francis M. and Catherine (DAY) BOYER. The life of the father and mother are treated at length in the last half of this review. The father still resides in the township of his son's home.
The Sugar Creek township common schools afforded a limited education to George Boyer, but he made the most of their advantages, and then took tip active work in agriculture. He has so continued ever since, and also takes a great interest in the breeding of fine stock, particularly Poland China hogs. He owns one hundred and twenty acres of fertile land which is tillable with the exception of ten acres, which is in timber. The land is tiled and the beautiful home on the estate was built by Mr. Boyer.
On April 7, 1888, Mr. Boyer was married to Cora McKinney, who was born November 28, 1868 in Sugar Creek township, the daughter of James C. and Josephine (WARD) McKINNEY, and received a common school education in her youth. She was called to her eternal rest on September 6, 1906, after a life of religious devotion and good works; she was a member of the Christian church. Four children were born to this first union of our subject: Mrs. Ada GOODNIGHT, December 4, 1891; Ethel, December 4, 1894, died in 1895, Reona, March 16, 1897, and Georgia, September 10, 1902. Our subject's first wife's sister married a Mr. WAINSCOTT, and they have one child, Wayne Roy, born October 25, 1895. Mr. Boyer has raised the lad and loves him as if he were his own.
Mr. Boyer was married the second time on March 6, 1912 to Martha E. BATMAN, who was born August 14, 1870 in Putnam county, the daughter of Thomas W. and Martha A. (ANDERSON) BATMAN, both of whom are deceased.
Mr. Boyer belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Pickard, Lodge NO. 321. He is a member of the Christian church and politically is a Republican. He was elected trustee of Sugar Creek township in 1908 and is still fulfilling the duties of that office with satisfaction to everyone.
Francis M. Boyer was born February 7, 1836 in Decatur county, Ind., and was brought to Clinton county by his parents when he was only two years old. He was the son of Leonard and Amelia (KING) BOYER, who were born and reared in the states of New York and Kentucky, respectively. Very little education could be had by these two, and the father immediately took up farming. He was a Republican by politics. Six children were born to them: Louvica, Francis M., Nancy, Celia A., Robert, and one not named. Louvica and the latter are deceased.
Francis M. Boyer and the father of George S. Boyer, received the usual education of the day and then began farming in Sugar Creek township. He owns fifty-seven acres where he lives and continues general work with the breeding of good stock, including Poland China hogs. He also owns thirty-six acres of good land south of here in the same township. With the exception of a little woodland, all of his ground is extremely tillable and is well tiled and fenced. Mr. Boyer is reported to be the oldest living resident of this township.
Francis M. Boyer was married on October 20, 1859 to Catherine E. DAY, who was born October 17, 1840 in Clinton county, 0 ., and moved to Boone county, Ind., when but a child. She was the daughter of Sylvenus and Jane (FERGUSON) DAY, respectively natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio. The father was a farmer. Our subject's wife had a good common school education. Ten children were born to them, seven of whom are still living: Lewis (deceased), George S., Leander and Leonard, twins (the latter deceased), Jane, William, Emma, Julia, Noah (deceased), and Bertha.
Mr. Boyer belonged to the Improved Order of Red Men at Pickard Mills and is the oldest member of the lodge at the present day. He was also a great Granger. Politically, Mr. Boyer is a Republican and at one time in his earlier day was very conspicuous in state politics.
Page 581 583. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
BOYER, Robert E.
The name of Boyer has been mentioned another place in this history, and short notice is given of the very prominent part it has played in the development--the agricultural growth in particular--of this county. Robert E. Boyer is another of that illustrious family, and has contributed much for the welfare of his fellowmen. He was not favored by a large inheritance, but by perseverance, industry and wise frugality, he has attained a comfortable station in life. His career is one that should encourage others to press on to greater achievements, and overcome all difficulties that lay in the path of achievement. Born in a log cabin when methods of farming were primitive, Mr. Boyer has kept pace with the times and today is as modern in his methods as any agriculturist in the county or state.
Robert E. Boyer was born July 13, 1852, in a log cabin in Sugar Creek township, near where he lives at the present time. He was the son of Leonard and Permillia (KING) BOYER. The father was born in October, 1839. The father settled here in Sugar Creek township, and continued in farming business successfully the rest of his life. He was a native of New York state, and the mother came from Kentucky. He was a Republican in politics. Six children graced his family: Levicia, Francis M., Nancy, Celia A., and one not named. Levicia and the latter are deceased.
Robert E. Boyer obtained a fairly good education in the common schools, and then entered upon active farming, which he has followed up to the present writing. Besides general farming Mr. Boyer raises Poland China hogs, Short Horn cattle and Belgian draft horses. He owns two hundred and twenty-five acres of land which is fertile and tillable, with the exception of four acres which is in woods. The whole could be plowed easily. The estate is well fenced with wire, and the land is well tiled. The barn is noticeable to the visitor, and is said to be the best arranged in the county; the home was built by Mr. Boyer.
On December 17, 1872, Mr. Boyer was married to Martha PICKARD, who was born in Sugar Creek township in 1854, the daughter of Porter and Malinda (DUSKA) PICKARD, who was born in Maryland, and received a common school education. The father of our subject's wife was born in New York, and is now living in this county at the age of eighty-two years. Mrs. Boyer died September 24, 1888, leaving four children, namely: Leondus, born October, 1873, and married Lottie HALL, and now lives north of our subject's home; Viola, born October, 1875, and married to John E. WRIGHT, and lives on a farm south of her father's place; Orlando, born February 18, 1876, and went to Bloomington, Indiana, where he attended Indiana University, and married Mary E. WALKER. He is one of the most progressive farmers of the township, raising extensive Poland China hogs. Manford, born in 1888, and married to Minnie SNOWDEN.
On March 4, 1889, Mr. Boyer was married the second time to Maggy SPURGIN, a native of Rush county, and is the daughter of James SPURGIN, receiving a common school education in the county of her birth. Seven children have been born to this last union. They are Nellie, born 1890, married James KING; Dona, married Otis KING; Virgil, born 1895, at home; James, Mary, Roscoe, and Hazel.
Mr. Boyer belongs to the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows at Pickard, and helped to build the lodge room now occupied by them. He is also one of the organizers of the lodge of Improved Order of Red Men at Pickard and Kempton. Politically Mr. Boyer is a Progressive, and was trustee of Sugar Creek township for six years, beginning in 1894.
pp. 936-937 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOYLES, James W.
The student who is interested in the history of Clinton county does not have to carry his investigation far into its annals before learning that James W. Boyles has long been an active and leading representative of its agricultural interests and that his labors have proved a great force in the development of the resources of the county, and the upbuilding of her citizenship. Mr. Boyles is one of the early pioneers who are living today, and his recollections of the strenuous times when homes were being hewn from the native, forest is interesting, and vivid. In every enterprise with which he has been identified, Mr. Boyles has given it his whole-souled effort and all of his time. Personally, Mr. Boyles is a genial old gentleman, and is a very accommodating and entertaining man to meet.
James Boyles was born in Green county, Ohio, on a farm February 17, 1835, and was the son of John and Catherine (SKINNER) BOYLES. John Boyles was born May 24, 1798, near Lexington, Kentucky, and spent the years of his youth in that state. Until 1839 he acted as an overseer on a tobacco plantation, then he moved to Clinton county, and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Union townhsip. (sic) Here he spent his entire life, farming until about four years prior to his death, which occurred January 26, 1875. He was married December 15, 1817, to Catherine SKINNER, who was born in Kentucky on April 1, 1802, and who died November 16, 1870. Mr. Boyles was a Methodist in religion, and politically was a Republican.
Our subject, James Boyles, received a common school education in the limited pioneer schools, working on the farm during the time he was not in attendance at school. Mr. Boyles became an excellent agriculturist, having had his early training in that vocation under his father, who was considered one of the most successful and industrious farmers of the pioneer community. Our subject has followed this vocation more or less all of his life, and also raised live stock on a large scale, becoming the owner of the finest animals in the county, and doing an extensive shipping business. Today his land is in excellent condition, well tiled and fenced and covered with the latest improvements, including a large home, commodious and attractive, also a large barn and outbuildings. Mr. Boyles owns an automobile a Cole "30," out of which he derives a great deal of pleasure. Mr. Boyles is a Republican politically, and has served as county commissioner three terms of three years each, leaving his farm during the period of service, but returning immediately after the expiration of his time in office. In religious affairs, Mr. Boyles has always been a Methodist, and is a deacon in that church.
April 27, 1857, marked the date of Mr. Boyles' marriage to Mary E. Bell, who was born in Butler county, Ohio, October 20, 1836, and was the daughter of William and Mary Ann (HAMILTON) BELL. William Bell, a native of Pennsylvania, came to Clinton county in 1842 and lived here until his death, holding eighty acre of land entered by his father from the government and deeded to him when he came here. Mr. Bell, at different times in his life, was a Democrat and a Republican, but in church matters remained with one denomination, the Presbyterian. He served as squire of Union township, this county, for quite a number of years. Mrs. Bell was a native of Ohio.
To Mr. and Mrs. Boyles there were born eight children, five girls and three boys; the boys all died in infancy. The girls are: Delcina, wife of Frank WONDERS, of Frankfort; Carrie Bell, wife of Landa ELLIOTT, a farmer near Michigantown; Fannie May, wife of William PRICE, of Union township; Anna Maude, wife of Parks ROBINSON, near Sedalia; and Bessie E., wife of Smith SALMON.
In 1864 he was drafted while threshing wheat, but bought his release, paying eight hundred dollars. At that time he was the father of three small children.
Pages 444 445. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
BOYLES, Martha Ann (Pence)
Martha Ann (Pence) Boyles, widow of the late George Thomas Boyles is a native of Clinton County, Indiana, born in Owen Township, March 21,1844, near her present home. She is the youngest of four children of Abner C. and Anna Jane (Bonner) Pence, the farther being a native of Virginia, born in 1806, and the mother born in the State of Alabama. Her father left his native State for Ohio, and later moved to Indiana, locating in Clinton County. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church the greater part of his life and is an active worker in the same. His wife was but fourteen years old when she married him. She died in February 1845. They had a family of four children- Lucinda, wife of Andrew W. Charles, of Kansas; Mary J., wife of Joseph Stafford, deceased; Cyrus B., and Martha A., the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Boyles lived with her parents till her marriage, which took place in Killmore, this county, February 22, 1864, by Rev. Mr. Crawford, of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mrs. Boyles being a member of that church. To Mr. And Mrs. Boyles were born six children all of whom are yet living. Their names are as follows- Abner S., Mary C., William G., Anna P., Laura M. and Ethel C. George T. Boyles was born July 2,1840. He was reared a farmer and received a common-school education in this county. He began life with but little means, but by industry and good management he was successful in his agricultural pursuits. He bought the home farm from the Government, which contains 160 acres of choice land, and subsequently purchased two tracts of land, one lying in Owen and the other in Center Township. He lived on the home farm till his death, which occurred November 12, 1885. His family still reside on the same farm, which is located on section 14, Owen Township. Mrs. Boyles is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Killmore.
Source: History of Clinton County Inter-State 1878, Owen Township
Transcribed and submitted by Dick Leibenguth
BOYNTON, Robert H.
The gentleman of whom the biographer writes is a young man who has risen to a position of prominence in his calling and although a resident of Frankfort but a comparatively short time, has already become one of the city's popular and highly esteemed citizens. He is widely known in engineering circles, has filled several important posts in the railway and government service and is recognized as among the most efficient and reputable men of his profession. Robert H. Boynton is a native of New York by paternal descent, a New Englander, and inherits many of the sterling characteristics for which the people of the latter section of the union have long been distinguished.
Henry P. BOYNTON, father of the subject, was born in New Hampshire in 1840 and by occupation was for a number of years a railway engineer and later a traveling engineer which calling the followed until his death in 1902. He was a man of sturdy worth, earnest in his endeavors to promote the interests of the different enterprises with which he was identified and appears to have enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. His wife, who prior to her marriage, was Miss Emma HAMMOND, was born in 1860, in Batavia, N. Y., and is still living in Rochester, that state. She is an intelligent lady of high character and beautiful life and deservedly popular in the social circles of the city in which she resides.
Robert H. Boynton was born in Batavia, N. Y., where he received his educational training, being graduated from the high school of that city with the class of 1903. With a fondness and exceptional aptitude for mathematics, he entered the University of Michigan where he received his degree as civil engineer in 1909 and shortly thereafter accepted a position with the Missouri Pacific Railroad, with which he continued until entering upon his duties as city engineer of Frankfort, Ind., in the year 1913. In the meantime he was for several months in the employ of the government of the Mississippi river as a member of the commission on the channel survey of that stream, and while thus engaged demonstrated signal ability as an engineer and master of his profession.
Wherever employed, Mr. Boynton's services have been eminently satisfactory and he has always made every other consideration subordinate to his professional duties. As a civil engineer, thoroughly devoted to his calling, he has few equals and no superiors. Since taking charge of the work in Frankfort his abilities have been appreciated at their true value and the concensus (sic) of opinion is that the city has never had a more capable or popular public servant in his line.
Mr. Boynton is a member of the Masonic Fraternity in which he has risen to the third degree. He is identified with the N. Y. S. C. Society of Michigan, and is an associate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. As a citizen he is interested in all public enterprises and professionally has already corrected many technical errors in former surveys and added much to the advancement and beauty of the city. On October 15, 1912, he was united in marriage with Miss Zua RICE, daughter of John A. and Maggie C. RICE, of Frankfort, a young lady well known and popular in social circles and noted for her estimable qualities of mind and heart.
pp. 900-902 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOZWORTH, Henry Milton
Such a life as has been led by Henry Milton Bozworth, a highly respected farmer of Warren township, Clinton county, merits a record of good deeds, that the debt due it may be acknowledged and that it serve as a stimulus to others to endeavor to emulate it. But his record is too familiar to the people of the locality of which this history deals to require any elaborate treatment here, his life work speaking for itself in stronger terms that the biographer could employ in polished periods. There is no doubt that this long continued strength of body and mind has been due to his conservative habits, wholesome living and pure thinking. He is known as a man who likes to see others succeed as well as himself, is hospitable and charitable, and undesirous of the plaudits of his fellows. Every year finds him further advanced in a material way, and with a growing list of people whom he numbers as his friends.
Henry M. Bozworth was born on April 7, 1854 in Owen township, linton (sic) county, and was the son of William and Polly J. (SHAFFER) BOZWORTH. William Bozworth was born on October 23, 1825, in Preble county, Ohio, and moved to the Hoosier state before his marriage, settling in Clinton county, where he is still living, in Owen township, enjoying comfort and happiness in his last years. His has been a life well spent, as he has been a man who grasped opportunities and made himself useful, not only to himself, but to his associates. He followed farming all of his life, and was very successful in the pursuit of the same. Politically, he was a Democrat. Our subject's mother was born April 11, 1828, in Union county, Indiana, and she died on January 23, 1877. She was the devoted mother of five children: John F., Jacob A., Mary E. LAWRENCE, Henry Milton and William A., all living.
After receiving the usual common school education. Henry Bozworth began teaching school, but soon gave up this vocation in order to take up farming which was to be his life work. With the exception of a few years in Carroll county, Indiana, Mr. Bozwell has tilled the soil of Clinton county, and has been identified with the commercial and civic interests of this locality. He has lived in Warren township for thirteen years. His work may be described as general farming, also stock raising, including a mixed breed of cows, Duroc and Chester White hogs, and draft horses. Where he lives Mr. Bozworth possesses one hundred and forty acres of excellent land, all of which, but twenty-two acres, is tillable. His estate has the best improvement, such as tiling, fencing and implements. Mr. Bozworth built his own home, which is one of the most noticeable of the country-side. In connection with his agricultural interests, Mr. Bozworth finds opportunity to devote his energy to outside things, being a great reader and a lover of pleasure. He enjoys the political game, and today is contented because he is with the party in power--the Democrats.
On August 8, 1878, Mr. Bozworth took as his wife Rebecca E. HAGGARD, the daughter of James and Elizabeth (THACKER) HAGGARD, and a native of Illinois, having been born there on August 22, 1858. Her father was born in Ross county, Ohio, on March 6, 1820, and died January 2, 1901. Mrs. Bozworth's mother was born on September 5, 1821, in the state of Virginia, married Mr. Haggard August 14, 1842, and was called to her death October 28, 1897. Mrs. Bozworth received a common school education, and for several terms taught in the Clinton county schools. Mrs. Bozworth was the mother of five children: Ellis L., born October 1, 1879; Letitia J., born November 29, 1881, died on March 21, 1885; James W., born August 3, 1883; Martha E., born June 22, 1888, died February 2, 1891 and Earl, born January 6, 1890, died February 25, 1891. Mrs. Bozworth died on the 12th day of May, 1891.
Mr. Bozworth was married the second time on May 28, 1893, to Elizabeth S. WAGONER, who was born in Carroll county, Indiana, on May 29, 1851, and was the daughter of Samuel and Catherine (TROXELL) WAGONER. Her father was born July 24, 1827, in the Buckeye state, and died on June 20, 1908; the mother was born October 23, 1832, also in Ohio, near Dayton, and she is still living in Carroll county, Indiana. Mr. Wagoner was a farmer all of his life, and a staunch Republican. To Mr. Bozworth's second marriage there has been no issue.
pp. 646-648 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOZWORTH, Jacob A.
Among the men of Clinton county who has appreciated present day opportunities and have profited his ingenuity and persistency as an agriculturist and stock raiser as a result of the exceptionally favorable conditions existing in the locality of which this volume treats is Jacob A. Bozworth, who, like many of our leading citizens hails from the great Buckeye state, but, like the rest of his countrymen, had the sagacity for seeing better opportunities in the newer country. That he made no mistake by casting his lot with us is seen from the fact that he has been enabled to retire from active life and spend his old age in the midst of comfort and plenty as a result of his good management and close application.
Mr. Bozworth was born August 22, 1850 in Preble county, O. He is a son of William and Polly J. (SHAFFER) BOZWORTH, a fine old pioneer family, mentioned in detail on other pages of this volume, hence their records will not be repeated here.
Jacob A. Bozworth was reared on the home farm where he worked hard when a boy, and during the winter months he attended the district schools receiving a practical education, about the same as most of his contemporaries.
Mr. Bozworth was married April 25, 1877 to Jerusha A. BECK, who was born in Augusta county, Virginia, August 19, 1854. She is a daughter of William and Lucinda (SUMMERS) BECK, both natives of Augusta county, Virginia. In 1856 they started to Iowa, but spent the winter of that year in Illinois, and there the wife died of typhoid fever and was buried at Monmouth. The father, with his two children, then went to a brother in Iowa, and, later, to another brother in Indiana, where he took for his second wife, Mrs. P. M. BROWN, of Clinton county. They located on a farm one-half mile east of Gettingsville, and here Mrs. Bozworth grew to womanhood and received her education in the common schools and the Normal school at Frankfort, after which she taught school for a few years with much success.
Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bozworth: Mrs. Lucy YOUNG, born in 1878; Rufus B., born in 1880, died in 1897; and Annis, born in 1883, married to Rolla COLBY, and now living on our subject's farm.
Jacob A. Bozworth began farming for himself early in life and each succeeding year found him further advanced until he became on of the leading general farmers of Owen township where he has lived since early childhood. He is owner of a finely improved and productive farm of one hundred and twenty acres, all tillable but about acres, which is in woods. Mr. Bozworth built his own comfortable and substantial home and outbuildings and cleared most of his land, his place being known as Oregon Farm. This farm was bought by Wm. Bozworth, the father, a few years after the war. There was a deadening on it and the brothers cleared a small field and had it in corn when they read an article in a newspaper telling of corn that grew in the state of Oregon, sixteen feet to the tassel and ten and one-half feet to the ear. A short time afterwards corn was found on this farm which was a trifle taller than that mentioned in the newspaper story and some six inches higher to the ear. He has been very successful as a general farmer and stock raiser and his son-in-law operates the place, he living retired. He has made a specialty of raising Hereford cattle, Duroc hogs, draft and Belgium horses.
Politically Mr. Bozworth is independent, but is inclined to prohibition, being a strong temperance man. Religiously, he is a member of the Presbyterian church, in which he is an elder and active worker.
pp. 622-623 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
BOZWORTH, John F.
Although like many of our best citizens John F. Bozworth, well known retired farmer of Owen township, is a native of Ohio, practically all of his life has been spent in Clinton county, for he was but two years of age when he was brought here by his parents and here he has resided ever since, or for a period of more than sixty years, during which he has lived to see and take part in wonderful changes, of which he talks very interestingly. He has from childhood, had the best interests of the county at heart and has been faithful in every duty as a citizen.
Mr. Bozworth was born June 14, 1849, in Preble county, Ohio. He is a son of Wm. and Polly J. (SHAFFER) BOZWORTH. The father was born October 23, 1825, in Ohio where he spent his boyhood. He came first to Clinton county two years before his marriage, after which event he returned to his native state, but subsequently came back to this county; where he still lives, being now at the advanced age of eight-eight years. He is a fine old man, admired by everybody who knows him. He is a type of the rugged, honest, industrious pioneer who redeemed this country from the wilderness. His wife was a native of Tennessee. She has long been deceased, dying January 23, 1877.
John F. Bozworth was reared on the home farm and educated in the common schools. On September 7, 1873, he married Clara B. HAGGARD, who was born in Fayette county, Ohio, November 30, 1855. She is a daughter of James M. and Rebecca (THACKER) HAGGARD. They spent their lives on a farm, and are now both deceased.
Two children have been born to our subject and wife: Venora, born July 4, 1874, married Edward SILVERTHORN: and Nial, born June 26, 1882, married Mabel JARVIS.
Mr. Bozworth has always engaged in farming and stock raising. He lived in Sedalia for a period of five years, but was not satisfied with his residence there and finally returned to the country, believing that the farm was best for him. He owns one hundred and thirty acres where he resides, and eighty acres just west of his home, his son living on the latter place. His home place is all tillable but five acres which is in woods pasture. He built his own home and made many valuable improvements about the place. His land is all productive and good for general farming. Although overseeing his farm in a general way, Mr. Bozworth is practically retired from active life. He owns a 1913, twenty-five horsepower, five passenger automobile of a standard make, and is well fixed to enjoy his after years in every way. Politically, he is a Democrat, but he has never been especially active in public affairs.
pp. 627-628 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.