- E -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browser's "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
EARHART, Dr. I. S.
Dr. Isaac S. Earhart, son of George and Susanna EARHART, was born in Butler county, Ohio, in 1840, and is the second in a family of six boys. His father came to Madison township, Clinton county, in 1850, and settled on a farm one mile east of what is now Mulberry. Dr. Earhart went to the common schools until he was eighteen years old, and then entered the academy at Battle Ground, which at that time was a large and flourishing school. After attending this school for three years he entered Wabash College, but was soon drafted for service in the army. His father hired a substitute, and, instead of re-entering college, he taught school and read medicine with Dr. Davis, of Tippecanoe county. He attended three courses of lectures at the Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati, and was graduated in March, 1866. In April of that year he began practice at Mulberry, and here he has continued ever since.
Mulberry was at that time a crossroads village of seven houses. The old plank road was yet visible; there was not a mile of gravel road nor a bridge in Clinton county. The work of practice was done on horseback. Malaria, pneumonia, erysipelas, and intestinal troubles were the diseases prevalent at that time. There were bad sanitary conditions, poor houses, poor people with large families, --and poor pay.
In 1873 Dr. Earhart married Miss Josephine OSTERDAY. They have two children: Hendry O. and Troy W. Troy W. is a surgeon in Ancon Hospital in the Panama Canal Zone. Dr. Earhart and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal curch. He has never figured in politics nor belonged to any secret orders. In 1892 he took a post graduate course at Chicago.
In the half centery of his studies he has seen the practice of medicine develop from a rude and superstitious state to the highest degree of science, with its fine method of diagnosis, medication, and sanitation, and its marvelous results in surgery.
pp. 801-802 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
EARHART, Stephen S.
STEPHEN S. EARHART, one of the highly respected citizens of Madison township, Clinton county, who is now engaged in farming and stock raising on the old Earhart homestead, is a native of Ohio. His birth occurred in Butler county, August 22, 1844, and he is a son of George and Susanna (SLIPHER) EARHART, who were also born in Butler county, and are of German descent. The paternal grandfather, Andy Earhart, was likewise a native of Ohio, and the maternal grandfather, Stephen SLIPHER, was born in Virginia in July, 1779. He married Elizabeth FLENNER, who was born in Maryland, April 10,1780, and was a daughter of Rudolph and Magdelene (CASHNER) FLENNER. Rudolph Flenner died in 1818, his family having numbered thirteen children. George Earhart was born April 5. 1815, and passed away on the 30th of November, 1875. His wife was born September 21, 1819. In their family were six children, all yet living, namely: Andrew J., Isaac S., a leading physician of Mulberry; Sylvester, Stephen S., David and George. The father of this family came to Clinton county in 1850, and here accumulated valuable property, including 480 acres of rich land.
Upon the old homestead farm Stephen S. Earhart was reared to manhood, and in the public schools of the neighborhood acquired a good English education. Upon his father's death he took charge of the farm, and is now the owner of 240 acres of rich land, which yields to him a golden tribute in return for the care and labor he bestows upon it. Since 1880 he has made a specialty of raising short horn and Durham cattle and Poland China hogs, and this branch of his business has proved very profitable. Mr. Earhart was married June 27, 1867, to Eliza MILLER, daughter of Elias and Maria (REX) MILLER. To them were born three children, and they also reared a grandson. Jenetta, born June 20, 1868, is now the wife of Jacob Fleming; Clora E. was born August 2, 1872; Allen L. S. was born February 16, 1876. The grandson, Earl L., died August 19,1893. The son has also passed away. Of him it was written: "On the 16th of June, 1894, the young, the promising. the heroic spirit of Allen Earhart sailed out upon the bosom of that great ocean toward that peaceful harbor which is the destiny of the race. His life was an exemplary one, though short. He was just entering upon young manhood when called to his final rest, yet his character had its influence on the community, and will long be felt. He was respected and loved by his associates of his own age, and his parents looked upon him with pride, for they could always depend upon him, and the confidence they reposed on him was never betrayed. He was converted to Christianity, and on the 28th day of February, 1882, joined the Methodist church, but his entire life was that of a Christian, and he was devoted to the interests of his church. He belonged to the Young People's society, and upon his death that organization passed the following resolutions:
''Resolved, That as a union we deeply feel our loss, for we ever found in him a willing worker.
''Resolved, That we cherish his memory and strive to emulate his virtues for church and temperance.
''Resolved, That we tender to the family upon whom the shades have fallen so heavily, our sincere sympathy, and commend them to the All-wise Father, who doeth all things well."
Both Mr. and Mrs. Earhart are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are active and consistent workers therein. Mr. Earhart served as steward for about nine years, and has been class leader for a similar period. In politics he is a prohibitionist. All worthy interests and enterprises find in him a friend, and he is numbered among the best citizens of Madison township. Mr. Earhart held, on November 30, 1894, his sixth annual sale of fine Poland China swine, he owning the best strains that are produced. The attention of the reader is respectfully called to the lifelike portraits accompanying this sketch, portraying the features of S. S. Earhart and wife Eliza, and those of their deceased son, Allen Earhart, all three works of art, being the productions of first-class artists, and in every respect true to nature. The sad bereavement of the parents is here somewhat compensated by the preservation of the likeness of their son. pages 669-670.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
EARL, Joseph Thomas
Kentucky has contributed to Indiana many prominent families of the class of pioneers who followed Boonethe greatest of them allinto the Blue Grass region, and were especially suited to the needs of the new country north of the Ohio river. Many of the men who crossed that picturesque stream to found new homes for themselves were determined largely by the absence here of that curse to any countryslavery. However, the practice of that institution in the dark and bloody ground country was not by any means the only reason that the Earl family left there at the beginning of the nineteenth century and established their homes in the primeval forests of Clinton county for here, by hard work and persistent effort, they became well established and the name of Earl has been a familiar sound throughout this section of the Wabash country, which they have done so much to develop.
Joseph Thomas EARL was born on February 4, 1837 on Coffee Creek, between Paris and Vernon, in Jennings county, Ind. He was the son of Thomas and Nancy (BUSH) EARL. Thomas Earl was born in Kentucky in 1803, and was raised in the mountains of that state. He came to Indiana with his parents, James and Hannah EARL, in 1808, and they first settled on Coffee Creek where the subject of this sketch was born. Here Thomas Earl followed and learned the trade of the farmer, also became a very proficient tailor and shoemaker. In politics, he was a Whig, and served once as trustee of Richgrove township, Pulaski county, Ind., to which county he had moved in the early 90s. His father, our subjects grandfather, was an American soldier during the war of 1812. Joseph T. Earls mother was a native of Jennings county and died in the year of 1839.
Our subject was raised on a farm, receiving at the same time an education in the common schools, which were very limited in those days. He remained on his fathers farm until he was sixteen years old, when he left, in order to work out for others. On February 2, 1851 he went to Pulaski county, this state, and a little later to Tippecanoe county. He came to Clinton county in the early 90s and he has stayed in this section of the Hoosier state ever since, building for himself a lasting reputation as a man of integrity and fair dealing in his cooperation with his fellow citizens.
In 1861 when the first shadow of that great four years conflict known as the Civil war began to be seen in the country, Mr. Earl enlisted in Company H, Fifty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served the whole four years in the army of the Cumberland. He participated in all of the battles fought by that division, fighting under Colonels McMullen, Leonard, Hines, Blanch and McGraw. Mr. Earl was singularly fortunate never to lose a drop of blood, although his clothing and hat was repeatedly punctured by the Confederate bullets. At the close of the war he was mustered out in Texas.
In 1871 Mr. Earl took up proprietary medicine and immediately made a success of this undertaking and he has followed the same for forty years. He manufactures his own remedy and has a large sale in every part of the country. In the last few years, however, Mr. Earl has been systematically retiring from active business, in order to enjoy the last years of his life in comfort and leisure. His recollections of his long career are interesting and unusual. Among his memories are those of the time when, at the age of six years, he cut wood for the old wood-burning locomotive on the J. M. & I. Railroad between Indianapolis and Madison. Mr. Earl was constable of Pulaski county at one time, also supervisor of the same county for two terms. Politically, Mr. Earl was a Republican, but when the new Progressive party was formed in 1912 he joined their ranks. Religiously he is a member of the Missionary Baptist church. He owns his own commodious residence on West Armstrong street, where his wife and himself are taking life easy.
In 1858 Mr. Earl was united in marriage with Hester Mary SHIGLEY, daughter of William and Sarah SHIGLEY, of Polaski county, Ind. She was the mother of two children: Lizzie Augustine, living at Francisville, Pulaski county; and Columbus Freeman, who is deceased. In 1894, Mr. Earl was married the second time, to Lavica Alice COOK, of Hamilton county, Ind. She has been the mother of two children: Clara Violet, born May 20, 1895, married September 7, 1912, to J. E. POWELL, of Frankfort; and Carrie Pansy, born May 11, 1898, married August 4, 1913. Thomas D. SMITH, an electrician of Lafayette.
pp. 670-672 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
EDMONDS, Oscar William, M.D.
This biographical record has to do with a man of unusual accomplishments, who has, for many years, been one of the best known of the worthy men who are making the city of Frankfort a good place in which to live. He has attained prestige through his individual efforts in every enterprise which he has entered upon, and has always been regarded as distinctly a man of affairs, who wields a potent influence among those with whom his lot has been cast. He is a man of lofty principles, honesty of purpose and determination, and is conservative, ingenuous, and cautious. The word fail does not seem to hold a place in his category. He plans his campaign and then executes with sureness and dispatch.
Oscar W. EDMONDS was born into this world on March 25, 1861, and was the son of Rheuden J. and Anna (MOORE) EDMONDS. R. J. Edmonds was a native of the Quaker state, being born in Bucks county, Pa., in the historic year of 1812, the son of Augustus and Elizabeth (HINES) EDMONDS. R. J. Edmonds learned the cigar making trade early in life, then went into the grocer business. He died in West Carrolton, O., January, 1903. His wife who was Anna L. Moore, was also born in Bucks county, Pa., and is still living in the city of West Carrolton, O.
Augustus EDMONDS was a native of Berkshire, England, and came to this country in 1779, and settled in Pennsylvania. He was a gunsmith and civil engineer by trade, and was widely known through his ability as a mathematician. He served valiantly in the Revolutionary war and for his services there was awarded, with the assistance of Gen. George Washington, five hundred acres of land near Mauch Chunk, which he afterwards sold for fifty cents an acre. He died in Bucks county in 1872. His wife, Elizabeth HINES, was also a native of Berkshire England, and she died in 1869. Eleven children, nine sons and two daughters, were born to them. All of the boys participated in the Civil war, five of them being officers.
The boyhood of our subject was passed in the state of Ohio, in Germantown and West Carrollton. Until 1881 he studied medicine with Dr. E. M. S. BEAVER, a brother-in-law, at Albertus, Pennsylvania. He learned the rudiments of medical practice there, and thus equipped he entered the Starling Medical college at Columbus, O., graduating from that institution in 1886.
He began the practice of his profession at Dayton, O., and continued there for two years with great success. He then went to Albertus, the home of his preceptor, and worked there for six more months. In September, 1888, he moved to Frankfort, Ind., where he now resides, being numbered among the best medical men of the state.
Dr. Edmonds has not confined all of his time and efforts to his profession, as evidenced by the remarkable accomplishments he has made in public life and in the service of his community. He has been county coroner and city health officer, filling both offices with high merit. He has also been president of the Clinton County Medical Society; was a professor of anatomy at the Dayton Medical University, and has made his name prominent in the medical circle of Ohio by his lectures in connection with that institution. In the year 1909, the people of Frankfort displayed their admiration for Mr. Edmonds by electing him mayor of the city. In this capacity he has served faithfully and wisely for the past four years.
Dr. Edmonds was married September 13, 1888, to Alice J. HERTZOG, a native of Albertus, Pa., being born there March 29, 1865, the daughter of Nathan and Mary (RICHARDSON) HERTZOG. Her parents are also natives of Pennsylvania.
Fraternally, Dr. Edmonds belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Methodist church, and votes the Republican ticket.
pp. 374-376 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
EDMONDS, Oscar William M. D.
OSCAR WILLIAM EDMONDS, M. D., one of the prominent young physicians of Frankfort, is a native of Montgomery county, Ohio, and son of Rheuden J. and Anna Edmonds. The doctor's grandfather, Augustus Edmonds, was a native of Berkshire, England, in which country he married Elizabeth HINES, and about the year 1789 immigrated to the United States, settling in Bucks county, Pa. For valuable services rendered to the American cause in the war of the Revolution, he obtained, by the assistance or Gen. Washington, 500 acres of land near the present city of Mauch Chunk, which he subsequently sold for fifty cents an acre, and resided in the county of Bucks until his death. By occupation he was a gunsmith, and for a number of years he followed civil engineering, in which he acquired great skill and proficiency, having been widely known as a profound mathematician. His wife died in 1869 and his death occurred in the year 1872 at an advanced age. Augustus and Elizabeth Edmonds were the parents of eleven children--nine sons and two daughters--and it is a fact worthy of note that the sons all grew to manhood and took part in the late great rebellion. One of them, Capt. J. H. Edmonds, was killed at the battle of Parkersburg in 1864, and his brother, J. J., lost a leg on the nineteenth of June of the same year. Five of the brothers held officers' commissions while in the service, the rest being privates, and all, with the exception of the two mentioned, went through the war without receiving any injury. At this time Lewis and James Edmonds are acceptable ministers of the Reform church and are recognized for their abilities in that sacred calling. R. J. Edmonds, the doctor's father, was born in Bucks county, Pa., in the year 1812, and in early life learned the trade of cigarmaker, which he followed for a number of years, though now in the grocery trade. He married, in his native state, Anna L. Moore, who was born in the county of Bucks in 1830, the daughter of William and Anna MOORE. The following children resulted from this union: Clara, wife of Dr. BEAVER; Martha, wife of Oscar CRABBS; Elizabeth B., wife of Lewis CRISSMAN; Anna; Oscar W.; Laura, wife of Paul KOCHNE; Joseph, deceased, and Phena, deceased. Mr. Edmonds has been successful financially and is a well known and highly respected citizen. He and wife have been, for many years, active members of the Methodist church, and in politics he affiliates with the republican party. Mrs. Moore's ancestry is traceable to Ireland, and the family connection with the old nobility of that country is easily established.
Dr. O. W. Edmonds was born March 25, 1861, in Montgomery county, Ohio, and spent his boyhood days at the towns of Germantown and West Carrollton, remaining at the latter place until his twentieth year. He was educated in the schools of Carrollton, and, after deciding to adopt the medical profession, began his preparatory reading in the office of his brother-in-law, Dr. E. N. S. Beaver, of Albertus, Pa., under whose instruction he continued for four years, making substantial progress in the meantime. The further to increase his professional knowledge, the doctor entered Starling Medical college at Columbus, Ohio, from which he was graduated in 1886, and immediately thereafter began the practice in the city of Dayton, where he remained until his removal to Albertus, Pa., in 1888. He followed his profession successfully in the latter place for six months, and in, September of the above year located at Frankfort, Ind., where he has
since resided, actively engaged in the practice in that city and Clinton county. The doctor has filled the office of county coroner for the past two years, and at this time is city health officer, and also vice-president of the County Medical society. In 1888 he was connected with the Dayton Medical university as professor of anatomy, and while acting in that capacity delivered a number of lectures before the college, which brought him into favorable notice among medical circles throughout the state of Ohio. The doctor has devoted himself assiduously to his profession and takes high rank among the most successful physicians and surgeons of Frankfort, which city has for years been noted for the ability of its medical men. His practice, which is large and constantly increasing, is confined to Clinton county. The doctor was married at Albertus, Pa., September 13, 1888, to Alice J. Hertzog, a native of the same town, where her birth occurred on the twenty-ninth day of March, 1865. Mrs. Edmonds is a daughter of Nathan and Mary (RICHARDSON) HERTZOG, both parents natives of the Keystone state. Politically, the doctor is a supporter of the republican party, and fraternally, is identified with the order of Odd Fellows. In religion he is a Methodist, to which church his wife also belongs. Pages 673-674
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
ELLIOTT, Frank B.
An honorable retirement from labor in which to enjoy the fruits of former years of toil and the enjoyment which life can offer in the serene autumn of ones years, is the fitting reward of a useful and active career, in which one, though keen discernment, indefatigable labor and honorable methods advanced steadily toward the goal of prosperity. Such, briefly stated, is the record of Frank B. Elliott, who is now living retired in the town of Mulberry, Clinton county, and who, through his long connection with agricultural interests, has not only carefully conducted his farm, but so managed its affairs that he acquired thereby a position among the substantial residents of the community.
Mr. Elliott was born in Butler county, O., November 23, 1854, the son of James Rampley ELLIOTT, a wagon maker. The father was born in New England of a sturdy old family of Scotch-Irish ancestry. His wife, Maria DAVIS, was born in Butler county, O. The Elliott family moved from Butler county, O., to Madison township, Clinton county, when our subject was a small boy and here they located on a farm. Eight children, all of whom grew to maturity, were born to James R. Elliott and wife, namely: Almond D., a soldier during the Civil War, now living at Battle Ground, Ind.; Mrs. Nancy BLINN, living at Frankfort; John, a soldier in the Civil War, now deceased, leaving six children; James R., living at Elwood, Ind.; Frank B. and Orlando B. of Michigantown. The father of these children lived to be eighty years of age. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he and his wife were Methodists. The mother of our subject reached her eighty-first year.
Frank B. ELLIOTT was reared on the home farm and was educated in the public schools at Hamilton, Ind. He remained at home working on the farm while his brothers were fighting for the Union, he being but a lad at the time and not old enough for service. He continued to fill his accustomed place in the family circle until he was twenty-four years old. He then married Ella STECKEL, a daughter of Joseph STECKEL, of Mulberry, this county, she being one of the following children: Phaon, Mary, Joseph, Jr., Louise, Ella, Matilda, Methusaleh and Martin.
Mr. Elliott has devoted his life to general farming and has been successful all along the line. He is now owner of a valuable farm of one hundred and fifteen acres near Mulberry, and another of one hundred and eighteen acres in the same township, all well improved and well cultivated. He has a splendid brick, nine-room house in the town, which residence is modern throughout and neatly furnished. Mrs. Ella ELLIOTT was called to her rest in 1902 at the age of forty-seven years. She was the mother of two children, Joseph E. of Cincinnati, Ohio, and one who died young. Joseph E. ELLIOTT is exceptionally talented in music, and while young in years has achieved a brilliant reputation as a musician, raining among the best in the Middle States, according to the opinion of many who have heard his performances, which have been given both in the East and the West. He is a member of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, one of the most noted in the county. He was given a musical education and is a man for whom the future is bright with promise. The mother was a good Christian woman, active in the Methodist Episcopal church.
In February, 1907, Frank B. Elliott married Mrs. Ida WIRT (nee CLARK), daughter of David CLARK, deceased.
Mr. Elliott is a Republican, and has been active in local affairs. He served as county commissioner for a period of three years, during which he did much for the permanent good of the county, and was a popular official. He has been a frequent delegate to district and state conventions. Fraternally he belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, he affiliates with the Methodist church.
pp. 536-537 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
ENGLE, Simeon S.
SIMEON S. ENGLE, an energetic farmer and stock raiser of Washington township, Clinton county, Ind., is a native of Hocking county, Ohio, and is a son of William and Sarah (VOGT) ENGLE, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and the latter in the Buckeye state, and both of German descent. Simeon S. was born January 21, 1846, his father June 19, 1814, and John Engle, the father of William, in 1783. In 1818, William Engle was taken to Ohio, where his father. John Engle, bought 160 acres of land, and there died in 1830, but his widow survived until 1873. The children born to John Engle were William, Rachel, BARNHART, Elizabeth, Margaret, Leah, Hannah, Fannie, Salome, Phebe and an infant, of whom three are now living: William, Rachel and Barnhart. William Engle was married October 26, 1835, to Miss VOGT, who was born in February, 1809, and became the mother of the following children: Esther, John, Elizabeth, Mary (deceased). Simeon S., Israel W., Louisa, and an infant that died unnamed. The mother of this family died March 27, 1874, but, as stated above, the father is still living.
Simeon S. Engle was reared on his father's farm in Ohio, but at the age of eighteen learned the trade of the harness-maker. In 1867 he came to Indiana and located in Elkhart county, at Locke, where he carried on a harness shop for some time, and then moved to Kosciusko county arid bought 110 acres of land, on which he lived until 1882, when be sold and bought a farm near Marion, in Grant county, on which he lived until 1888, when he again sold his property and came to Washington township, Clinton county and bought his present farm of 160 acres, on which he settled in 1888. August 8, 1867. Mr. Engle married Miss Susan DAVIS, daughter of Daniel and Nancy (KIMBALL) DAVIS, and to this congenial union four children have been born and named in the following order: William H., October 8, 1868; John E., March 8, 1871; Ida, January 12, 1874 (now the wife of Thomas BLINN), and Florence, July 2, 1876, now the wife of Frank BLINN; Ida and Florence married brothers. Mrs. Engle is a devoted member of the U. B. church and is most attentive to her church duties. Mr. Engle takes great interest in agricultural matters generally. His politics are emphatically democratic. While in Kosciusko county he was township assessor and township trustee. several terms. During his residence in Grant county he was an extensive breeder of fine Poland China swine and Short Horn cattle, and in this vocation made a most enviable reputation. page 674.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
ERMENTROUT, Charles A.
One of the enterprising business men and public-spirited citizens of Mulberry, Clinton county, is Charles A. Ermentrout, a man who would have succeeded in any line of endeavor or under any environment for he seems to possesses by nature those attributes that make for success wherever found. Such men are a distinct asset to any community. He is proprietor of a popular livery and feed stable.
Mr. Ermentrout was born near Colfax, Montgomery county, Indiana, October 28, 1872, a representative of an old family of that section of the Hoosier state. He is a son of Joseph H. Ermentrout, who is now making his home with our subject. His father was an early settler of Montgomery county, having come from Virginia to Indiana about the year 1832. The mother of our subject was known in her maidenhood as Mary DAVIS, and she was a native of Clinton county, of which section the Davises were early settlers. The mother of our subject is deceased. She left three children, Mrs. Clara LANUM, of Lafayette; Rena, who lives in White county, this state; and Charles A., of this sketch. Politically, the father is a Democrat, and a member of the Baptist church, of which his wife was also a member.
Charles A. Ermentrout was reared on the home farm, and he received his education in the public schools. Early in life he spent two years on a farm in South Dakota, later returning to Clinton county, where he engaged in farming. For some time he has been proprietor of the livery and feed barn at Mulberry, which is located near the center of the town, and near the railroad and traction lines. He has a large bar, seventy-five by one hundred feet, which well arranged and well equipped for a general livery business. Eighty horses can be fed at a time. A good grade of horses is always kept and modern vehicles of all kinds, so that the traveling public is properly accommodated at all times. Most of the buggies are rubber tired. A good automobile is also kept, for those wishing to make long trips quickly. His rates are reasonable, and his barn is very popular and is known throughout the country. He keeps excellent help, his drivers being familiar with all the roads, nearby towns and even farms of this locality.
Mr. Ermentrout was married in White county, Indiana, in 1896, to Rosa UTLEY, who has proven to be a most faithful helpmeet. She was born in White county and there was educated and grew to womanhood. She is a daughter of John UTLEY, a soldier of the Civil war.
To our subject and wife one child has been born, Carroll H., who is now eight years old.
Politically, our subject is a Democrat.
pp. 471-472 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.