- F -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
FEARNOW, Charles L.
One of the enterprising young agriculturists of Johnson township. Clinton county, who possesses the respect and good will of all who know him and is classed with the representative men of the township in which he lives is Charles L. Fearnow. Our subject comes of Virginian ancestry, and well may be proud to trace his lineage back to such a source. In the development of the agricultural division of Clinton history, he has played a prominent part, and the good part of it is that his career of activity is just a beginning, for Mr. Fearnow, is just in the prime of life.
Harrison Fearnow, our subject's father, was born June 5, 1843, in Morgan county, West Virginia, and during the time of the Civil war he came to Ohio. He escaped to Ohio to avoid the impressment of the rebel army who were forcing men to serve their cause. His military career was confined to a period of scout duty. Mr. Fearnow is still living in this township south of our subject. The mother, who was Martha GOODNIGHT, was born June 4, 1848, in Fayette county, Ohio, and she is still living. Harrison Fearnow engaged in the merchandise business in Ohio for several years and was very successful at the same. In connection with his father, our subject's grandfather, he built the first grain elevator handled by scoops in this part of Clinton county. Harrison Fearnow is now living a retired life, spending his winters in Florida. Politically, he is a Progressive. Our subject is one of four children: Lily (deceased), Charles L., Leslie (deceased), and Roy.
Charles L. Fearnow was born March 14, 1872, in Highland county, Ohio, and later moved to Fayette county, the same state, where the family lived until the subject was five years of age. Then they moved to Clinton county, Johnson township, and here Charles L. Has lived ever since. He owns one hundred and seventy-six acres of fertile land in this county, all of which is in as excellent condition as improved scientific methods can make it. Mr. Fearnow carries on general farming, and raises Polled Durham cattle and a common breed of hogs. He built his own commodious home on the estate.
Mr. Fearnow was married on September 20, 1894, to May HOWE, who was born January 18, 1870, in Fayette county, Ohio, the daughter of G. W. and Cynthia (GOODNIGHT) HOWE, who were natives of Ohio. Mrs. Fearnow received a common school education in her youth. Seven children have been born of the union: Warren, December 2, 1895; Emil, December 27, 1897; Meryl, December 10, 1899; Ralph, March 13, 1901; Robert, July 26, 1903; Ruth, September 10, 1906; and Don, April 5, 1909.
Religiously Mr. Fearnow belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and is a Progressive in political affairs.
pp. 578-579 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FENNELL, Charles Edwin
In 1901 Frankfort and Clinton county lost one of their most prominent and useful citizens, a man comparatively young in public life, and one who gave promise of a great future. His untimely death was a hard blow to the community, and an irreparable loss to his relatives, his wife and children. Mr. Fennell was a man who believed in honest principles in business conduct, and his dealings were ever in accord. Consequently, success attended his efforts in all the years of his life.
Charles E. Fennell was born April 19, 1866, in Burlington, Carroll county, Indiana, and was the son of James H. and Matilda (LONG) FENNELL, natives of Virginia. The father was a school teacher and grocery broker by occupation.
After a good common school education our subject went into business with his father in the grocery line. For five years he continued in this business. In partnership with Charles E. Shaw he organized the Clinton Cycle Company. In 1896 he, in company with B. H. Dorner, purchased the Crescent from the Estate of Eli Brown. After one year of experience in the newspaper business, Mr. Fennell disposed of his interests to Bayard Gray. From that time until his death he was associated with his father in the insurance business. In all his ventures he was successful. Socially he was genial, generous and kind-hearted and had a host of friends. He was a member of Clinton Chapter, Free and Accepted Masons: Frankfort Commandery No. 17, Knights Templar, and Shield Lodge No. 71, Knights of Pythias. Mr. Fennell died January 1, 1901.
On January 1, 1896, he was united in marriage with Jessie RUDDELL, the daughter of C. B. and Julia (COMBS) RUDDELL, natives of Clark county. Her father was in the dry goods business for twenty-seven years at Charleston, Indiana, for eight years was a farmer, owning one hundred and seventy-three acres of land in Clinton county and two hundred and forty in Illinois. He was a graduate of the Louisville Medical College, but only practiced four years, not liking the profession. He died February 16, 1905. The mother is now making her home with her widowed daughter. Mrs. Fennells brothers and sisters are: Mrs. S. B. SIMS, of Frankfort; C. M. Ruddell, of Jeffersonville; W. N. of Almeda, California; Albert, and Dr. Ben Ruddell, of Frankfort.
Besides Mrs. Fennell our subject is survived by two small children, Julia and Gertrude.
pp. 892-893 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FERLING, David Frederick
Few citizens living in Carroll county, Indiana, are better known today that David Frederick Ferling, the superintendent of the Carroll county infirmary. He was a farmer by occupation who was actively engaged in farming until September 1, 1909, when he was appointed to his present position. He owns forty acres of land in Deer Creek township. Mr. Ferling, who is now completing his sixth year as superintendent of the infirmary, has given universal satisfaction. He has a natural sympathy for the care of the county’s unfortunate and is possessed of rather unusual executive and administrative ability.
David Frederick Ferlings was born on December 11, 1869, in Clinton county, Indiana. He is the son of David and Anna (Erbin) Ferling, both of whom were born in Clinton county. They farmed in Clinton county until 1895, when they moved to Carroll county. After living in Carroll County for sixteen years, they removed to North Dakota and farmed there for a few years. They then removed to Spokane, Washington, and are now living retired in that state. He is a stanch Democrat and a member of the Prebyterian church. By his married to Anna Erbin, there were born five children, all of whom are living. Etta is the wife of Jerry J. Kelleher and has borne him four children, Mabel, Earl, Lottie and Melvin. They live near Frankfort, Indiana. David Frederick is the subject of this sketch. Thomas Edgar is a resident of Spokane, Washington, and by his marriage to Minnie Holmes he has one daughter, Anna. Ida Myrtle, who married Owen Hufford, has borne him two children, Rushford and Lois, and they live in North Dakota. Pearl H. lives in Spokane, Washington.
David Frederick Ferling was educated in the common schools of Carroll county and lived at home with his parents until August 4, 1892, when he was married to Florence Whistler, a daughter of William and Melbina (Harner) Whistler, the former of whom was born in Delphi, Carroll county, Indiana, and the latter in the same county. They were married in Carroll county and have had five children, namely: Lucy is the wife of Alex Mears, of Deer Creek township; Florence is the wife of David F. Ferling; Ella is the wife of John L. Hanna; Fannie is the wife of Clinton Wagoner, of Deer Creek township; and Georgia is the wife of Arthur Landis, of near Monticello, White county.
William Whistler was previously married to Lucinda Wolfe, who bore him one daughter, Ora, the wife of Hiram Thompson, of Deer Creek township. The first Mrs. Whistler died after bearing her husband one daughter. He was subsequently married to Melbina Harner.
Mr. and Mrs. David Frederick Ferling have had three children, one of whom, William, was born on July 7, 1893, died on December 31, 1909. Marie and Fern both live at home. Marie was born on February 24, 1896 and Fern on October 17, 1903.
David Frederick Ferling is a member of Delphi Lodge No. 28, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a Democrat in politics. Mrs. Ferling is a member of the Presbyterian church at Delphi.
Source: History of Carroll County, Indiana, By John C. Odell, B. F. Bowen and Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916. Pages 360-61
Transcribed by Lena
FICKLE, Alvin Thompson
Very often it is greatly to the advantage of the farmer's boy that, instead of rushing off to some town to become a poor grocery clerk or employee in a dirty machine shop, he remains in the country where he was brought up and where he knows what is necessary to make an honest living. He knows when and how to seed and harvest his crops and knows what is necessary to insure success in the rearing and sale of live stock. If he leaves for the town he must learn another business and enter into competition with men who have grown up to the business which he must acquire. He is thus, as a rule, at a great disadvantage. This is said for the benefit of boys who have a start in farm business, who, in nine cases out of ten, had better remain right where they are if they want insured to them a happy, healthy, respectable old age. One of the progressive farmers of Madison township, Clinton county, who was contented to remain in his native community and devote himself to the line of endeavor with which he was most familiar is Alvin Thompson Fickle, and one would judge from a cursory glance over his excellent farm and pleasant home that he has been wise in following this course.
Mr. Fickle is the son of one of our most noted old families, the Fickles having been prominent and influential in Clinton county for three generations. In view of the fact that the family history has already been given in several different places in this work, it will be omitted here.
Alvin T. Fickle was born in Madison township, Clinton county, on April 22, 1866. He is a son of William Fickle and wife, and he grew to manhood on the home farm and received a good practical education in the neighborhood schools. Early in life he determined to follow in the footsteps of his father and grandfather in a business way and so began paying close attention to the general phases of farming and stock raising. He remained on the old homestead until he was twenty-three years of age, when he married Nancy E. Clendening, who was born, reared and educated in this locality. She is a daughter of Charles and Ellen CLENDENING, the former now deceased, but the mother is still living and is now the wife of Arthur J. Clendening, of Madison township. Mrs. Fickle was called to her eternal rest on September 2, 1897, at the age of twenty-seven years, leaving five children, namely: Orpha Murlin, the wife of Milton HALL, of Clarks Hill, Tippecanoe county; Glen Russell, John Carlyle, William Walter and Anna Blanche. They were all given proper school advantages.
Alvin T. Fickle has been very successful as a general farmer and is the owner of a well improved and productive farm of one hundred and eighty acres in Madison township on which he raises a diversity of crops and live stock in large numbers, and on which may be seen a good dwelling and convenient outbuildings. His place is located three and one-third miles southeast of Mulberry.
Politically, he is a Democrat and works for his friends who desire office, but he never seeks political preferment himself. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias. Some years ago he went to Texas where he spent a year, also some time in Colorado and other parts of the West, but finally returned to his native county, which he now believes to be the best county in the world.
Pages 920 921. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
FICKLE, Charles R.
There is a marked difference in the methods employed by the successful twentieth century farmer and those used by his grandfather. The methods of a century or even half a century ago were all right then but they would not do now because not only the land has changed, but also the climate and the kind of seed. We have obtained much seed of all varieties from foreign lands and through them many thistles worthless grasses; pests and other undesirable things which we have to study and war against have come to our virgin land which our forbears knew nothing of. But taking it all in all, considering the hard work they had to do in getting the soil ready for cultivation, the rude agricultural implements and the numerous kindreds of the wild that preyed upon young crops, there were as good pioneer farmers as there are modern husbandmen.
One of the progressive farmers of the present time in Madison township, Clinton county, is Charles R. Fickle, owner of Maple Ridge Farm, two miles south of Mulberry. He was born December 3, 1875, in this county. He is a son of William and Anna (THOMPSON) FICKLE. The Fickles were among the first settlers of Washington township and the father and grandfather of our subject were good examples of successful early-day farmers. The father was born here in 1839. He was a son of Isaac Fickle, who was born in 1815 in West Virginia, the son of William Fickle, who was a native of Virginia, born there in 1748. The latter's father was a native of Germany, and his mother of England. William Fickle, who was known as "Squire" Fickle, married Ann THOMPSON, a native of Ireland, from which country she emigrated to the United States when eleven years of age, with her parents, locating in Philadelphia. Subsequently her family moved to what is now Perry county, Ohio, in the days of the wilderness, and there she and Squire Fickle were married. In that county Squire Fickle owned at one time twenty-six hundred acres of land. He was justice of the peace for many years, and was a prominent man in that county. His son, Isaac Fickle, was born there in 1815, as stated above, and there he grew up and married Jane M. MILLER, daughter of Robert and Nora Belle MILLER, natives of South Carolina, and early settlers in this county, coming here in 1829, locating in Madison township, Clinton county, removing to Mercer county, Illinois in 1841, and there spent the rest of their lives, the wife died on December 22, 1863, leaving four children. William Fickle, father of our subject, grew up amid pioneer conditions and received a limited education in the old-time schools. He devoted his life to general farming with success.
Charles Fickle our subject, grew up on the home farm and was educated in the nearby schools. He remained at home until he was twenty-seven years of age, then, on June 10, 1903, he married Mary E. AYERS, daughter of Jesse AYERS, a well known citizen of Washington township, this county. A history of the Ayers family will be found on other pages of this work.
Three children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Ruth Marie, Jay C., and Dorothy Lucile.
Mr. Fickle has devoted his life to farming, and he is owner of a productive and well improved place consisting of eighty-six acres. He has a good home in the midst of attractive surroundings and makes a good livelihood by general farming and stock raising.
Pages 917 & 918. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
FICKLE, Clarence V.
One of the progressive men of Washington township, Clinton county is Clarence V. Fickle, owner of Elmdale Farm, which consists of ninety-five acres of choice land. He seems to be a man who possesses untiring energy, is quick of perception, forms his plans readily and is determined in their execution. His close application to business and his excellent management have brought to him the prosperity which is today his. He is a scion of an honored old family, whose good reputation he has kept untarnished.
Mr. Fickle was born August 29, 1875, on the old Fickle homestead in Clinton county. He is a son of Robert Fickle, who was born July 8, 1841, on the old homestead, he being a son of Isaac Fickle, who was born April 2, 1815, he having been a son of William and Ann (THOMPSON) FICKLE, early pioneers of this county. William Fickle was born in Virginia in 1874, and his wife was born in County Antrim, Ireland in 1781. The father of William Fickle was a native of Germany, and he married an English woman. The parents of Ann THOMPSON came to America when she was eleven years old and located in Philadelphia, but soon moved west to Perry county, 0. The mother of Isaac Fickle died on September 14, 1857. On February 14, 1838, Isaac Fickle married Jane M. Miller, a daughter of Robert and Nancy (BELL) MILLER, natives of South Carolina, where their daughter, Jane M. was also born, the date of her birth being September 24. 1816. Her father came to Clinton county in 1829, locating in Madison township where he lived until 1841 when he sold his property and removed to Mercer county, Ill., where both parents died. Mrs. Jane M. Fickle died December 22, 1863, leaving four children, William, Robert, Nancy A., and Sarah E.
Isaac Fickle again married, his second wife being Sarah E. WADE, daughter of William and Nancy E. (WHITE) WADE. Her family came from Pennsylvania to Jackson county, O., thence removed to Kansas, where the parents died. The second wife died January 7, 1877, leaving one child, Mary E., born July 19, 1876.
To Robert Fickle and wife two children were born, Clarence V., born August 29, 1875; and Ray C., born September 25, 1879. Robert Fickle and his father were both elders in the United Presbyterian church. Isaac Fickle came to Clinton county in 1834 and spent the rest of his life here. He held the office of supervisor and also school director.
Robert Fickle was reared on the old farm where our subject now lives, where he remained until his marriage in 1867 to Elizabeth BAIRD, daughter of Hugh Baird. To Robert and Ellen Fickle six children were born, four sons and two daughters: Hugh (deceased); Agnes J. (deceased); Clarence V., subject of this sketch; Ray C. living in Mulberry, this county; Jenny G., and Lester. The mother of the above named children died in 1886 at the age of thirty-eight years. The death of Robert Fickle occurred in 1898 at the age of sixty-six years.
Clarence V. Fickle was reared on the home farm and educated in the common schools. On May 11, 1898 he married Isa B. HOLLIDAY, who was born in Tippecanoe county, Ind., where she was reared and educated. She is a daughter of Perry HOLLIDAY, a native of Butler county, 0. Our subject and wife have the following children: Russell C., born March 12, 1899; Otto P., born October 3, 1900; Robert D., born February 10, 1905; and Raymond D., born May 12, 1911.
Mr. Fickle has devoted his life to general farming and stock raising with more than average success, and he is now owner of the beautiful farm mentioned in the opening paragraphs of this sketch. He always keeps a good grade of livestock. He has a pleasant home, neatly furnished, and a large barn and other good buildings about the place. Politically he is a Democrat and religiously is a member of the United Presbyterian church, in which he has been elder, like his father and grandfather before him. Pages 534 535.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
FICKLE, Floyd S.
One of the most enterprising younger generation of farmers in Clinton county who has believed from the outset of his career that "The wisdom of yesterday is sometimes the folly of today." and while the methods of our grandfathers in tilling the soil were all right in their day, yet in the twentieth century we are compelled to adopt new methods and farm along different lines, in view of the fact that conditions of climate, soil, grain, etc., have changed since the days of the pioneers is Floyd S. Fickle owner of Winding Brook Farm, three and one-half miles southwest of Mulberry, Madison township. He has been a close observer of modern methods and is a student at all times of whatever pertains to his chosen life work and he has therefore met with encouraging success all along the line, and, judging from his past record, he will undoubtedly achieve much in the future years and take his place among the leading agriculturists of a community noted for its fine farms and adroit husbandmen.
Mr. Fickle was born in Madison township, Clinton county, on May 3, 1882. He is a son of William Fickle and wife, extensive mention of whom, together with the rest of the Fickle family, one of the oldest and most highly esteemed in the county, is made on other pages of this work, hence the biographer does not deem it advisable to reiterate same here.
Mr. Fickle of this review, grew to manhood on the old homestead and there assisted with the general work when a boy. He attended the public schools in his district in the winter months. He is one of a family of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters, eight of whom are still living namely: Mrs. Fena HORLACHER, Alvin T., Fernando I., is deceased; Joseph E., lives in Washington township; Sarah L. died when eighteen years old; Charles R. lives in Madison township; Stella M. is deceased; Orville O. is deceased; Ora A. lives at Clarks Hill; Floyd S., of this sketch: Lora L. is on the old home place with his mother and Mrs. Elda E. BENNETT lives in Madison township. The father of these children died March 25, 1913.
When twenty-five years old Floyd S. Fickle married Cathelene J. CONLON, who was born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana and there she grew to maturity and was educated. She is a daughter of Michael and Mary A. Conlon, both natives of Ireland from which county they emigrated to America inearly life and located in Tippecanoe county, this state. The father died in 1900, but the mother is living at Mulberry, Indiana.
Two children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Earl and Francis. Mr. Fickle is successfully farming his well kept and well improved farm in Madison township, and here he has a good residence and other buildings, and he keeps a good grade of livestock. There is a beautiful winding brook near his home from which he named his place Winding Brook. He is a member of the United Presbyterian church and politically he is a Democrat.
Pages 786 - 787 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
FICKLE, Joseph E.
Farmers come nearer being their own business masters than any other class of workers. It takes considerable capital these days to go into farming, but a farmer does not need so much land as he has been taught he should have. Where one hundred and sixty acres has been considered a necessity for a good farm, forty acres will soon be regarded as plenty; and for some kinds of crops ten acres is all a man can properly care for. Intensive cultivation with modern methods makes a successful farm out of few acres of land. Ownership and proper development of even a few acres will amply provide for the unproductive period in the lives of farmers.
One of the men of Washington township, Clinton county, who has clearly demonstrated his ability to successfully manage either a few or many acres is Joseph E. Fickle, owner of Clover Leaf Farm. He was born in Madison township, February 4, 1872. He is a son of William FICKLE, for many years one of the prominent citizens of that township, who was called to his eternal rest on March 25, 1913. He was born in Ross township, Clinton county, in 1839. He was a son of Isaac FICKLE, who moved from Ohio in 1832 to Clinton county, and was therefore one of the early settlers here, and from that time to the present the family has been influential and well known in this locality. William Fickle grew up on the old homestead which he helped clear and develop. He received his education in the old log school house in his district. Isaac Fickle was a native of Butler county, O. His family consisted of the following children: Joseph, Isaac, Hugh, John and William. The death of Isaac Fickle, Sr., occurred in 1889 at the age of seventy-six years.
William FICKLE was married in 1862 to Phoebe A. THOMPSON, who was born February 24, 1844, in Madison township, Clinton county. She is a daughter of William THOMPSON, who died in 1867. The mother survived until 1906.
The following children were born to William Fickle and wife: Mrs. Tryphena HORLACHER, of Madison township; Alvin T., Joseph E., of this review; Charles R., Mrs. Ora ANDERSON, of Clarks Hill, Indiana; Floyd S., Loria L. and Elda BENNETT, of Madison township.
William Fickle was owner of two farms, aggregating two hundred and eighty-five acres in the vicinity of Mt. Pleasant church. He was a member of that church for a period of forty years.
Our subject grew to manhood on the home place and there worked when a boy. He received a good common school education. When twenty-two years of age he married Pruda AKERS, a daughter of Jacob G. AKERS.
Mr. Fickle moved on his present farm in 1899. The place consists of eighty acres, well improved, and he has a pleasant cottage, well furnished.
His family consists of four children: Edith, Otis, Harold and Mildred.
Our subject is a great Sunday school worker and has done much good in this field of work. He has a class of sixty-seven members at the local church which he teaches. He is often a delegate to Sunday school conventions, where he always makes his influence felt for the general good.
pp. 531-532 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
It is a delight to look over the well kept, well tilled and productive farm of McClellen Fickle, of Washington township, Clinton county. We here see results of scientific twentieth century farming and if a talk is had with Mr. Fickle many things may be learned in regard to successful general farming and stock raising, if one be a novice, for he is a gentleman who has made system his watchword for many years and leaves no stone unturned whereby he may improve conditions on his place.
Mr. Fickle was born on the old home place in this county, October 22, 1861, during the first year of the great Civil war, and he was named for Gen. George B. McClellen, who was for some time in command of the Army of the Potomac. He is a son of James FICKLE who was born in Pennsylvania, where he spent his earlier years, and from which state he first removed to Ohio, later coming to Clinton county, Indiana. He was a son of Edward FICKLE, also a native of Pennsylvania.
James Fickle grew up on the home farm and received such educational training as the early-day schools afforded. Upon reaching manhood he married Sarah A. FICKLE, who was born in Ohio, and who was a daughter of William FICKLE, a well known Clinton county pioneer, who at one time owned twenty-one hundred acres of land, being one of the largest land owners of his day and generation in this county. Six hundred and fifty acres was in Wild Cat valley and some on Two-Mile Prairie. The death of James Fickle occurred at the age of fifty-two years. His widow reached the age of seventy years. Their family consisted of the following children: William C., of Colfax, and McClellen, of this review.
Our subject grew to manhood on the home farm and he was educated in the common schools. When twenty-six years old he married, on November 13, 1887, Minnie J. ANDERSON, daughter of George W. and Mary (COLTRAIN) ANDERSON, both now deceased.
To Mr. and Mrs. Fickle the following children have been born, ten in all: Otto, Melvin, Claude, Flossie, Iva, Ledger, Orville, Wilma, Hazel and Opal.
Mr. Fickle owns a finely improved and productive farm of one hundred and ninety-eight acres. He carries on general farming and stock raising. He has an excellent set of outbuildings and an attractive dwelling, well furnished.
He was elected trustee of his township in 1908, with a good majority, and he has discharged the duties of the office in a manner that reflects much credit upon himself and to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned.
pp. 971-972 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FICKLE, Samuel G.
It must be gratifying indeed, to know that our own family has been influential in the upbuilding of the locality in which we reside and that they have borne unstained reputations and that we have so ordered our daily lives before men in all vicissitudes of this none too pleasant world that our neighbors may conscientiously say of us that we have kept entirely untarnished the bright escutcheon of our family name. That is just what Samuel G. Fickle, successful farmer of Madison township, Clinton county, has done. Those who peruse the history of this locality are familiar with the facts of this fine old family which has honored Clinton county with their homes since the early days, and we are glad to herein set forth more of the personal side of their lives.
Mr. Fickle, of this sketch, who seems to have inherited the thrift of his German ancestors and the wit of his Irish forebears, was born in Clinton county on July 11, 1860. He is a son of Stewart G. Fickle and wife. William Fickle the first of the family born in America, first saw the light of day in Virginia in 1784. When ten years old he removed with his parents from the Old Dominion to Perry county, Ohio, which country was then practically a wilderness, and there he grew to manhood and married. He became His (sic) son, Isaac Fickle, was born in Perry county, Ohio, April 2, 1815. There he grew to manhood and on February 14, 1838, he married Jane M. Miller, daughter of Robert and Nancy (BELL) MILLER, natives of South Carolina, where the daughter was also born, the date of her birth being September 24, 1816. Her father came to Clinton county, in 1829, locating in Madison township where he lived until 1841, then sold his property and moved to Mercer county, Illinois, where both parents died, her death occurring on December 22, 1863, leaving four children.
Stewart G. Fickle, mentioned above, was born in Perry county, Ohio, and there he grew to manhood and married Eliza DURHAM, daughter of Dennis Durham and wife. They came to Washington township, Clinton county, and here they both died.
Ten children were born to Stewart G. Fickle and wife: Dennis, a carpenter and contractor at Frankfort; Almeda, the widow of Andrew GHERE; Nancy, single, now living in Frankfort; and Samuel G., of this sketch. The death of the father of these children occurred in 1869 at the age of fifty-three years. He devoted his life to farming. His wife died at the age of forty years.
Samuel G. Fickle grew to manhood on the farm and he received his education in the public schools. He was eight years old when his father died, and he went to live with Robert Fickle, a son of Isaac Fickle, and there grew to manhood. In 1879, when nineteen years old, he married Marinda McCLARY, who for a period of thirty-four years has proven to be a faithful helpmeet. She was born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and there reared and educated. She is a daughter of Harvey K. and Kate (FINK) McCLARY, natives of Ohio. The death of the father occurred at the age of seventy-two years, and the mother was sixty-two when summoned to her eternal rest. Eleven children were born to them: Eliza Jane, Marianda, who married Mr. Fickle; Byron, and Mrs. Olive BECK.
Mr. Fickle located in Washington township after his marriage and here he has engaged in farming on different farms. He has improved places and sold for a profit. He now owns two good houses and lots in Mulberry, and formerly owned another, which he sold. He has a substantial and modernly appointed large brick house in Mulberry. He has been very successful in his business life and can now live in comfort and without apprehension for the future.
To Mr. and Mrs. Fickle the following children were born: Minnie, who received a good education in Lafayette at a business college, now in Indianapolis; Nellie, married to John L. Davis, of Lafayette, parents of two children, Dorothy and Ruth; Alice M., at home, and Ida, attending school.
Politically, Mr. Fickle is a Republican. He is a member of the United Brethren church, as is also his wife. Pages 472 474. Photo of Samuel G. Fickle and family is included.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
It can not be other than interesting to note in the series of personal sketches appearing in this memorial history the varying conditions that have compassed those whose careers are outlined, and the effort has been made in each case to throw well-focused light onto the individuality and to bring into proper perspective the scheme of each respective character. Each man who strives to fulfill his part in connection with human life and human activities is deserving of recognition, whatever may be or have been the filed of his endeavor, and it is the function of works of this nature to perpetuate for future generations an authentic record concerning those represented in its pages and the value of such publications is certain to be cumulative for all time to come, showing forth the individual and specific accomplishments of which generic history is ever engendered. The beginning of the career of the late William Fickle, for many years one of Clinton countys well known citizens, was characterized by hard work and conscientious endeavor, and he owed his rise to no train of fortunate incidents or fortuitous circumstances. It was the reward of application of mental qualifications of a high order to the affairs of business, the combining with keen perceptions mental activity that enabled him to grasp the opportunities that presented themselves. This he did with success and, what is more important, with honor. His integrity was ever unassailable, his honor unimpeachable, and he stood four square to every wind that blew, highly esteemed by all who knew him.
Mr. Fickle was born in the year 1839, in Perry township, Clinton county. He was a son of Isaac FICKLE, born in 1815, a son of William and Ann (THOMPSON) FICKLE. The former born in Virginia in 1784, and the latter a native of Ireland, from which county she came to America when young. The Fickle family removed from Virginia to Perry county and from there in a very early day to what is now Perry township, Clinton county, where the elder Fickle became a very large land owner and prominent citizen in the early pioneer days. Isaac Fickle married Jane M. MILLER, a daughter of Robert MILLER, a native of South Carolina from which state he came to Clinton county, in 1829, locating in what is now Madison township, where he remained until 1841, when he went to Mercer county, Illinois, and died there.
William Fickle, subject of this memoir, grew to manhood on the home farm and received such education as the early-day schools afforded. On October 22, 1863, he married Phoebe Ann THOMPSON, with whom he walked peaceably and happily the rugged path of life for nearly a half century. She was born February 20, 1844, a daughter of William and Sarah (RYAN) THOMPSON, of Preble county, Ohio, where he was born January 29, 1816, grandfather was born in Ireland, and whose wife was a German woman. Reese THOMPSON and wife came to Indiana in a very early day and both died in Tippecanoe county, the grandfather at the age of eighty-two and the grandmother at the age of sixty-two. It was in 1832 that William Thompson and wife came to Indiana. Their family consisted of the following children: Winfield, who lives in Clarks Hill, Ind.; Mrs. Phoebe Ann FICKLE, widow of our subject; Mrs. Mary E. EVERHART; William, who lived in California, supposed to have been killed in the earthquake of 1906; James, living in Washington township, this county; Owen, living in Madison township, and Mrs. Cara STINSON, living in Perry township.
William Fickle devoted his life to general farming and stock raising with more than ordinary success, for he was a persistent worker, a good manager and a man of sound judgement and wise foresight. He became owner of over six hundred acres of valuable and productive land which he brought up to a high state of cultivation and improvement, and which he eventually divided up among his children of whom there were twelve, named as follows: Mrs. Fena J. HORLACHER, born July 20, 1864; Alvin T., April 22, 1866; Fernando J., October 24, 1867; Sarah L., March 28, 1870; Joe E., February 4, 1872; Estella M., October 4, 1873; Charles R., December 3, 1875; Mrs. Ora A. ANDERSON, November 26, 1878; Orvil O., December 13, 1880; Floyd S., May 3, 1882, Lorie L., August 13, 1884, and Elda E. BENNETT, December 3, 1886.
Mr. Fickle was for a number of years justice of the peace in his township and proved to be a popular public servant owing to his fairness to all concerned. He was a member of the United Presbyterian church, in which he was elder for a number of years. The death of this splendid citizen occurred in March, 1913, and all who knew him sincerely regretted his passing away.
pp. 909-911 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FICKLE, William B.
The biographer is glad to note in this series of sketches that there are so many retired farmers within the borders of Clinton county, for it shows that here is a prosperous and contented people and a locality unrivaled in agricultural possibilities. In countries where the land is poor and the inhabitants indifferent, contented merely to live along the line of least resistance, one does not find retired farmers, such a thing can not be from the very nature of things. The name of William B. Fickle, of Mulberry, appears on the list of those who have spent their active years in tilling the soil, have accumulated a comfortable competency through their thrift and good management and are now enjoying serenely the fruits of their earlier years of toil. He is another of the prominent old family, records of which fill a good many pages in this publication, and, like the rest of the family he has lived an industrious, useful and honorable life.
Mr. Fickle was born in Washington township, Clinton county, on November 16, 1849, the year of the memorable gold excitement, which sent thousands across the dangerous western plains. He is a son of Joseph Fickle, born in Perry county, Ohio, in 1813, during the second war with Great Britain. He spent his earlier years in his native state, finally located in Clinton county, Indiana, in an early day and here became a prosperous farmer and spent the rest of his life here, dying in 1875 at the age of seventy-two years. He was a son of William and Ann (THOMPSON) FICKLE, the former a native of Pensylvania, and the latter was born in Dublin, Ireland. She was a great Bible student and could debate with preachers on the Scriptures. William Fickle came to Clinton county as early as 1832, bought land and returned to Perry county, Ohio, from which place he moved his family here in 1834, making the journey in wagons. There home here was a log cabin until they could get their farm under way and build a more pretentious dwelling. He prospered and became one of the largest land owners in this locality. He received a deed signed by the great name of Andrew Jackson, President at that time. William and Ann Fickle had seven children, four sons and three daughters, namely: Hugh, Isaac, John, Joseph, Mrs. Nancy HAYLETTE, Sarah, who married James Fickle, and Jane.
Joseph Fickle was reared in Perry county, Ohio. In 1834, when twenty-one years old he married Elizabeth D. BROWN, daughter of Judge John BROWN, of Washington township, Clinton county, she being one of a family of two sons and four daughters, namely: Samuel and John, the two sons are both deceased; Mrs. Elizabeth D. Fickle; two daughters who live in Rochester, Ind.; and one deceased. Six children were born to Joseph Fickle and wife, namely: William B., of this sketch; Margaret, who married Thomas McBRIDE; Sarah, Elizabeth, is deceased, as is also Nancy; Mary, who married John GLENDENING is deceased. The father of the above named children devoted his life to farming. Politically, he was a Democrat, and he belonged to the Presbyterian church.
William B. Fickle, of this sketch, was reared on the home farm an educated in the common schools. He remained at home helping his father until he married at the age of twenty-four years, choosing as a life partner Elizabeth McBRIDE, daughter of John McBRIDE, of Perry county, Ohio. After living awhile in Montgomery county, that state, the family came on to Clinton county, Indiana, and settled in Washington township where Mrs. Fickle grew to womanhood and was educated. She was one of a family of eight children, three sons and five daughters, namely: Thomas, William, James, all deceased; Louisa is the widow of John A. Horlacher, deceased; Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Fickle; Matilda and Amanda are deceased; Mrs. Emma GRICE lives in Washington township. The death of John McBRIDE occurred at the age of sixty-five years, his widow surviving until eighty years of age. They were members of the Presbyterian church.
Three children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Mrs. Nellie RINEHART, who lives near Rossville, Ind.; Joseph E., is married and has three children, William W., Jesse E. and John A.; Katie, who died when twenty-five years of age, was the wife of D. W. CLENDENING, she left two sons, Forest and Maurice.
William B. Fickle owns the old home place which consists of one hundred and sixty-eight and one-half acres, which he has kept under excellent improvements and cultivation. He has made a success as a general farmer and stock raiser. He also owns a good dwelling in Mulberry, where he has lived since 1910, when he retired from active life.
Pages 918 920. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
True biography has a more noble purpose than mere fulsome eulogy. The historic spirit, faithful to the record ; the discerning judgement, unmoved by prejudice and uncolored by enthusiasm, are as essential in giving the life of the individual as in writing the history of a people. Indeed, the ingenuousness of the former picture is even more vital, because the individual is the national unit, and if the unit be justly estimated the complex organism will become correspondingly intelligible. The world today is what the leading men of the past generations have made it, and this rule must ever hold good. From the past comes the legacy of the present. Art, science, statesmanship and government are accumulations. They constitute an inheritance upon which the present generation have entered, and the advantages secured from so vast a bequeathment depend entirely upon the fidelity with which is conducted the study of the lives of the principal actors who have transmitted the legacy. Although William A. Field has long been sleeping the sleep of the just, his record should not be permitted to perish, for he lived a helpful life, doing much in the earlier days of Frankfort and Clinton county to encourage general improvement, and he gave most gladly his services in defense of his country when its honor and very life were at stake in the dark days of the early sixties.
Mr. Field was born in Clinton county, Indiana, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (HYDE) FIELD, the father a native of the New England states, and his death occurred in Clinton county. His wife, Elizabeth Hyde, was born in Albany, New York, May 18, 1809, and her death occurred on May 10, 1897. To Thomas Field and wife seven children were born.
William A. Field was for many years successfully engaged in the livery business in Frankfort, Indiana. During the Civil war he served faithfully in the Union army as a member of Company C, Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry. Politically, he was a Republican, religiously, a member of the Methodist church, and fraternally, he belonged to the Masonic Order, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
The death of William A Field occurred on April 26, 1876, when in the prime of his life.
On May 12, 1872, Mr. Field married Annie E. FUDGE, daughter of Henry C. and Sophia (THATCHER) FUDGE, and of this union one daughter was born, Mary S. FIELD, who has been for a period of twelve years bookkeeper at the store of Fred Coulter in Frankfort. She is an expert in her line of work and has given her employer eminent satisfaction, as might be surmised from her long retention. She makes her home with her mother.
Sophia THATCHER, mother of Mrs. Field, was born in Preble county, Ohio, July 23, 1818, and her death occurred in 1893. She came to Frankfort, Clinton county, in 1835, with her father, Jesse THATCHER, and on December 27, 1840, she married Henry C. FUDGE, and to them nine children were born: Jesse C., May 7, 1841; Jacob N., May 26, 1843; Mary A., February 14, 1845; Sarah E., April 30, 1848; Annie E., widow of the subject of this memoir, January 10, 1830; Isabel J., March 25, 1852; Dicy D., June 11, 1854; Amos M., September 13, 1856; George H., August 5, 1860.
Henry C. Fudge, father of Mrs. Field, was one of a family of twelve children: Mary, born December 10, 1792; Elizabeth, November 18, 1794; John, April 13, 1796; Jacob, September 11, 1797; Henry C., October 27, 1798; George, January 15, 1800; Annie, August 18, 1801; Peter, January 29, 1893; Sarah, February 24, 180; Mose, July 8, 1808; David, March 8, 1810; Charlotte, October 17, 1811.
pp. 886-887 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FISHER, Charles Wesley
There are men in every community who have builded their lives from conditions that seemed utterly hopeless. Although hundreds perish as a result failing to win out in the long race, there are some who make a success, and when they do, the quality of the success is sure and lasting. Mr. Fisher, by dint of perserving effort, has overcome many obstacles in life, even when they came at a time when he was least prepared to cope with them. Notwithstanding he has found opportunity to enjoy some of the pleasures of life, and in this fact has found recompense for an unusually large number of reverses.
Mr. Fisher was born on January 22, 1882, in Clinton county, Indiana, and was the son of James and Molly (PYLES) FISHER, the father a native of Clinton county, and the mother having been born in Avery, Indiana. The father was a railroader and teamster and died in about the year of 1885. He is buried at Russiaville, Indiana.
Our subject was handicapped in youth by being the sole support of his widowed mother. This duty, although a pleasurable one, worked many hardships with him. He was prevented from attending the regular common schools, and the education he obtained was the result of night work alone.
For several years Mr. Fisher followed the occupation of teamster, and for a period of three years was in the railroad business. He was unfortunate in being hurt in a wreck while working in the later capacity, and was compelled to give this vocation up. In 1908 he went to farming, and two years later entered upon the horse business, which he has continued ever since. This last trade consists of breaking horses which are ungovernable, that is, kickers, runaways, and balkers; he also undertakes the training of track horses. Mr. Fisher has been very successful in this business, and has made for himself a reputation in this section of the county. Mr. Fisher owns three lots on the east edge of town, upon which he has his home and large stable. Mr. Fisher is paying for these possessions and will soon have them as his sole property.
In 1903 he was married to Viva KRISHER the daughter of John and Plesa KRISHER farmers of Clinton county. To Mr. and Mrs. Fisher have been born three boys, namely: Harry John, Mervil Charles and Orville Paul.
Politically, our subject is a Democrat, but has never sought public office. Fraternally, he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of the World.
pp. 940-941 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FLETCHER, James M.
Under the old-fashioned method of grain farming the rush of work was limited to a few months of the year, and the labor was made easier by the use of farm machinery. Under the new diversified farming, and especially because of the care of more livestock, demands the farmers whole time the year round; and consequently social life, in spite of rural telephones, has declined. The biggest problem nowadays is to get sufficient help. Womens work on the farm has been eased by running water, washing machines, and many things, but on most farms it is still necessary for the women to help with the general chores and some take part in the work of harvesting the crops in the rush season. One of the farmers of Forest township, Clinton county, who has so carefully studied out the problems of modern farming as to eliminate much of its drudgery for both himself and the women folks of his family is James M. Fletcher, who seems to make a good living at the minimum expenditure of labor.
Mr. Fletcher was born on March 9, 187I, in the above named township and county,. and here he has been content to spend his life. He is a son of Thomas B. and Susan (RANSOPHER) FLETCHER. The father was born in 1843, and he was brought, when a child, to this locality where he grew to manhood, receiving such educational advantages as the early day schools afforded, and here he has lived ever since, being now a resident of Johnson township. The farm which he developed he also cleared, bringing it up from the virgin natural state. He has devoted his entire life to farming. Politically he is a Democrat. The mother of our subject was born in 1844, coming to Clinton county, Ind., in early life. She, too, received a limited schooling. She is still living. Nine children have been born to Thomas B. Fletcher and wife, namely: Mandy, Molly, Cora, and James M. of this sketch, all living: and John, Effie, Milly deceased, and two others who died in infancy.
James M. Fletcher grew to manhood on the home farm and there assisted with his share of the work. He received a common school education. On February 3, 1896, he united in marriage to Dove ADAIR, who was born in Clinton county in 1871. She is a daughter of James W. and Myra (BURGETT) ADAIR, both of whom are still living. Here Mrs. Fletcher grew to womanhood and received a common school education.
To our subject and wife nine children have been born, namely: Dayton, Virgil and Vernal, born March 6, 1899; Ethel, Mamie: Kenneth, born June 22, 1904; Lena, Edith and James Lester.
Mr. Fletcher has always engaged in farming, in his native township. He owns one hundred and thirty acres, all tillable but about five acres, which is in pasture and timber, and his place is well tiled and otherwise well improved. He makes a specialty of raising Jersev cows, Duroc hogs, draft horses and Plymouth Rock chickens. Fraternally Mr. Fletcher is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Forest and the Improved Order of Red Men at Scircleville. Politically he is a Democrat.
Pages 588 & 599.
Transcribed by Connie
In every community there are men whom, to take away, would be to remove the stoutest pillars of the economic and commercial life, and thereby the community would deteriorate industrially, socially and in reputation. This is a strict and fundamental law in the science of economics. Clinton county is a remarkably developed locality in the light of the above definition. There are men who have grown up with the community, and have succeeded by the sweat of their brow. These are few in comparison with the many who have seen the mirage of success in distant lands, but these few have reaped the reward of their perseverance and loyalty to the home town. Joseph Foreman is a grand example of this type, and as such it is our pleasure to narrate the few facts in connection with his life.
Joseph FOREMAN was born June 7, 1869, in Johnson township, Clinton county, and was the son of Henry and Julia (MYERS) FOREMAN. Henry Foreman was born in 1842 in Henry county, Indiana, and moved to Clinton county after his marriage, where he followed the vocation of farming all of his life. Politically, he was a Democrat. He died on May 23, 1877. The mother was born in the year 1849 in the state of Missouri, and is still living three miles north of Hillisburg. She had as good an education as the schools of her day could afford, and at one time she taught school herself. Four children were born of the union: Molly E. ARMSTRONG, Joseph, John S. and Leah H. After her husbands death Mrs. Foreman married the second time to Jacob KIRKENDALL in 1880.
After a common school education, Joseph Foreman started in the farming business and continued this until March, 1908, when he moved to Hillisburg and went into the retail business in partnership with Carter & Clark, but sold out in 1911. He then went into the elevator business under the firm name of Foreman & Davis, sole owners of an elevator, with capacity of twenty-five thousand bushels per year. They buy and sell corn, wheat and oats, and handle salt, flour, feeds, etc. Our subject has a neat and attractive home in Hillisburg. He is assistant cashier in the bank at Hillisburg, also a director and stockholder. The Citizens Bank has a capital of twenty thousand dollars.
On September 20, 1892, Mr. Foreman was married to Mary D. MANN, who was born February 9, 1872, in Johnson township, this county, and was the daughter of Jacob and Harriett (MOORE) MANN. Her mother was a native of Kentucky. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Foreman: Edith, born February 27, 1894, married to Archie BENGE, and lives north of here on a farm, and Frances, born February 9, 1900.
Fraternally, Mr. Foreman is a member of the Masonic Order at Hillisburg, and also the Modern Woodsmen. He attends the Methodist Protestant church. Politically, Mr. Foreman is a Democrat, and for a term of four years, beginning in 1904 he served as trustee of Johnson township.
pp. 736-737 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FOWLER, George Y.
George Y. Fowler, son of William A. and Sarah FOWLER, was born in Perry township, Clinton county, March 11, 1860. His parents came to Clinton county in an early day, the father being a native of Kentucky and the mother a native of Virginia. They married and settled on a farm near Colfax, where the subject of this sketch was born and where he spent the early years of his life. The first tragedy in his young life occurred in 1867, when his mother died, and five years later, 1872, he was completely orphaned by the death of his father. The bodies were laid to rest and still repose in the old White cemetery in Perry township, where sleep others of the pioneer men and women who bravely undertook the task of reclaiming from swamp and forest the fertile lands of that section of the county contiguous to Colfax.
After the death of his father, being then at the age of twelve years, Mr. Fowler was given a home with relatives who resided on a Perry township farm and there he remained about two years, attending the district school in the winter and making himself useful on the farm during the remainder of the time. While Mr. Fowlers experience in the actual work upon the farm was limited on account of his immature years he nevertheless bore his part and at a time before much advancement had been made in the production of labor saving farm machinery. It was before the day of the riding plow and the riding cultivator, it antedated the coming of the self-binder, and nearly all of the modern methods for harvesting the grain and hay crops. It was during that era of strenuous effort when the farmers of Clinton county were putting their muscle to the natural obstacles to agriculture, and to this work Mr. Fowler gave the best that was in him in exchange for the home that was opened to him when a home was sorely needed.
In 1874 came the turning point in his career and decided his course of future usefulness, for in that year he decided to prepare himself for the occupation of printing and to that end entered the office of the Frankfort Crescent as apprentice. The Crescent at that time was under the management of the veteran journalist, Staley, and located on the south side of the square in rooms over what is now known as the Spray grocery. In due time he completed his apprenticeship and graduated as a journeyman printer, but remained in Mr. Staleys employ for several years afterwards, his connection with the Crescent in the capacities of apprentice, foreman, business manager and news writer extending over a period of eleven years.
During that time Mr. Staley was in the Indiana legislature as representative from Clinton county and Mr. Fowler was practically in charge of the Crescent, and the experience thus acquired was a valuable asset to him in after years in carrying out his plans and fulfilling his ambition to be publisher of a successful newspaper.
In 1885 he resigned his position on the Crescent, to go into business for himself. Together with his brother, Finley Fowler, and G. H. Hamilton, he established the Frankfort Weekly Times. Mr. Hamilton had been publishing a small weekly paper at Colfax called The Chronicle. This plant was destroyed by fire and new equipment was bought. After Mr. Fowler and his brother acquired an interest in the business the material was brought to Frankfort, making two medium sized loads. In comparison with the present massive equipment of the Times this statement is interesting. The material was moved into two small rooms over the Epstein store and there the Times office was established in August, 1885. The old Chronicle at Colfax had quite a large circulation and this together with the new list of subscribers that was secured in Frankfort and other points of the county gave the Times a very fair footing on the date of the first issue.
Finley Fowler died in 1889 and subsequent to that sad event Mr. Fowler bought the interest of Mr. Hamliton, and with the exception of about two years, during which time J. J. Aughe was part owner of the paper, has published The Times under his sole ownership and management. Originally the Weekly times was an eight page, six column paper, half of it being what is known as ready print. The proprietors were without a newspaper press and during the first few years of its existence the paper was printed on the public and the demand upon its columns made by advertisers necessitated the addition of extra columns, so that inside of two years the paper was enlarged to a seven column quarto. At the same time the publishers purchased a press upon which to print their paper, and to stay within their means selected a Prouty, the cheapest newspaper press built at that time. It served the purpose, however, for two years, when it became necessary to have a larger and faster press to keep up with the rapidly growing circulation of The Times. This time a Potter drum cylinder press was installed, at that time one of the most popular models of flat bed presses. By that time The Times had outgrown its original quarters and the office was moved to the second story of the Cohee building at the southwest corner of the square. Subsequently, another move was made to the Kelly building on West Clinton street to upstairs rooms, and later the office was installed in the downstairs room in the same building. It took a few years for The Times to get in on the ground floor, but having once attained that desired location it has ever since remained there. The room in the Kelly block was the home of The Times until nine years ago, since which time it has occupied a building especially built for the purpose and known as the Times building, located on east Clinton street. The building is thirty-three by one hundred and thirty-two feet, two stories and basement, and was constructed to meet all the needs for the publication of a modern newspaper.
In 1894, believing that the people of Frankfort and Clinton county would appreciate the advantages of a daily morning newspaper, Mr. Fowler launched The Morning times, and has never regretted it, although the attempt to establish a morning daily at that time was rather hazardous and involved possible failure and financial loss. He was advised by friends not to attempt so radical an undertaking in local journalism, but acting upon the firm belief that the field was amply large for a morning paper, he brought out his first issue, and success has attended his venture from that day to this. The growth of The Morning Times has been little short of marvelous. Its popu-covers the county, and has, since the establishment of free rural mail delivery, that its value as an advertising medium has made ever increasing demand for space, necessitating frequent enlargements. The growth in circulation and business has also made repeated demands for new and better equipment and these demands have been promptly met by the progressive publishers. When the linotype began displacing hand compositors, Mr. Fowler was among the very first of the provincial daily newspapers to install a machine and this gave his readers a quadruple allowance of reading matter. As The Morning Times grew the old Potter press became inadequate to the demand for speed and so Mr. Fowler, in 1900, installed a Miehle press, the fastest flat-bed press then on the market. This served its purpose fairly well for a few years or until the circulation of the paper grew to such size that something faster upon which to print the paper was an imperative demand. So in 1912 Mr. Fowler installed a Webb perfecting press that cost a small fortune, but which will fulfill all the requirements for many years to come. The press prints from a continuous roll of paper and is capable of turning out one hundred completed and folded papers per minute. Four, eight or ten papers can be printed as desired. Mr. Fowlers policy of being a little in advance of the times extends to his general equipment, and from a small beginning-two wagon loads of materialthe plant has grown to its present large proportions.
For several years just Mr. Fowler has been assisted by his sons, Maxwell and Walter, who are now assuming a share of the burden which for so many years were visited upon one pair of shoulders, and the probability is that The Morning Times will be published by several generations of Fowlers, descendants of the man who was responsible for its start.
On October 11, 1882, Mr. Fowler was united in marriage with Christina KRAMER, daughter of Edward and Mary KRAMER, who were among the early settlers in Frankfort. Three sons, Raymond, George Maxwell, and Walter Scott, have been born to them. While the publication of his paper and the conduct of his business has made steady and ever increasing demands upon Mr. Fowlers time he has nevertheless found time to fraternize with his fellow newspaper men, being one of the oldest members of the Northern Indiana Editorial Association, and, until very recently, a regular attendant at its meetings. Neither has he neglected the social side of life, being a member of three of Frankforts leading fraternal ordersKnights of Pythias, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and the Improved Order of Red Men. He is a member of the official board and also the board of trustees of the Methodist Episcopal church and was church treasurer for a long term of years, during the pastorates of Doctors Hollingsworth, Ogden and Halstead.
pp. 394-398 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FRAZIER, Abram C.
Success in agriculture is not, as a rule, reached at so early a period in life as in other vocations; independence is the result of many years of toil, privation and economy; but when the time comes when the profits roll in their influx is sure, steady and adequate. Abraham C. Frazier, of Sugar Creek township, ranks among those farmers of Clinton county who have made the most out of their work, and today lives to enjoy the fruits of a life of hard work and lots of self-sacrifice. He enjoys the prestige of an honest man, and he numbers his friends by his acquaintances.
A. C. Frazier was born October 30, 1848, in Clinton county, Ohio, and moved to Clinton county, Indiana, with his parents when he was but two year old. He was the son of William C. and Minerva (HILL) FRAZIER. The father was a native of Tennessee, being born there on January 5, 1817, and came to Clinton county when but a boy, and died January 5, 1895. The father all of his life followed farming and trade of brick masonry. He was a Democrat. The mother died in the year 1854. Five children were born to this first union, namely: John, deceased; Eliza Jane, Margaret, and Abraham C. and Elizabeth. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Frazier married again to his first wife's sister, Rebecca HILL, and eight children were born to them, six of whom are still living.
Our subject received his education in the common schools of this county, and then took up immediately the vocation of farming in Sugar Creek township, which trade he followed with ever increasing success until the present time. He owns ninety acres of land, all tillable and well tiled with the exception of eight acres, the modern improvements on the estate having been built by Mr. Frazier himself.
On January 2, 1871, our subject was married to Mary A. HINKLEY, the daughter of Charles and Mary (OWENS) HINKLEY, being born in Carroll county, Indiana, September 25, 1850. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Frazier, namely: Mrs. Minnie WALKER, born April 22, 1872, of Boone county; Walter, born March 16, 1877, who married Della WIRE, and they live in Boone county; Harvey, born July 31, 1882, married Maude HIGGINS, and lives in Randolph county, Indiana; Charles, born February 4, 1884, married Kate KING, and resides near the home of his father, and lastly, Laura, born January 6, 1888, and married to Frank HARRIS May 19, 1906, and have three children, Russell, Harvey and Mary Agnes.
Fraternally, our subject is a member of the Masonic lodge at Kirklin, this county. In religious affairs he is a member of the Christian church, being a trustee. Politically, Mr. Frazier is a Democrat.
pp. 926-927 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FREAS, William , Sr.
It is by no means an easy task to describe within the limits of this review a man who has led an active and eminently useful life and by his own exertions reached a position of honor and trust in the line of industries with which his interest are allied. But biography finds justification, nevertheless, in recording such a life history, as the public claims a certain property nterest (sic) in the career of every individual and the time invariably arrives when it becomes advisable to give the right publicity. It is with a certain degree of satisfaction that the writer essays the task of touching briefly upon such a record as has been of the subject who now comes under this review. William Freas, Sr., of Frankfort, is a man of high standing and influence in the industrial circles with which he is identified.
William FREAS, Sr., was born October 7, 1850, in Allentown, Pa., and was the son of John and Rachel (BROWN) FREAS. John Freas was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, and came to America in the early 40s with a brother. By trade he was a steel worker. In 1868 he settled in Rossville, Clinton county, and later bought a farm five miles west of Frankfort, farming the same until his death in 1882. Mrs. Freas died in 1896.
William Freas, Sr., spent his early years, until he was twenty-two years old, on a farm. He then went to Sedalia, where he stacked lumber for the New York Lumber Company, and five years later, in 1877, he came to Frankfort and worked for Good & McPherson in the liquor business. He stayed with this firm a very short time, then worked for Nathan Fletcher nine years. In 1882 he went into partnership with Frank Lancaster in the liquor business on North Side square, and here he remained two years. At that period he branched out for himself. In 1888 he went to Chicago, but was only engaged in business there for a period of six months, then came back to Frankfort and bought the block where the Freas Brothers are now located. Their place is known as the Elite Cigar Store, and the brands of stock kept are the best that can be obtained in the country and abroad. Our subject retired from active business in 1907. Mr. Freas is one of the stockholders of the First National Bank, Politically, he is a Democrat, and religiously a Lutheran. In fraternal matters he is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men and the Travelers Protective Association.
Mr. Freas was married, on August 25, 1872, to Amanda E. BURNS, who was born in Allentown, Pa., on October 18, 1851, and was the daughter of John and Caroline (KREUTZER) BURNS. Her parents came to this county and settled three and one half miles north of Frankfort. Her father followed farming until within a few years of his death, when he moved to Frankfort. Mrs. Freas died on September 6, 1905. She was the mother of two children: William M., Jr., and Harvey E.
William FREAS, Jr., was born on May 29, 1873, and in his youth received a common school education. At the age of twenty-one years he went into the cigar business on West Washington street, and here he stayed until 1898, when he began work for his father in the liquor trade. In 1907 he opened a small cigar store at his present location, in partnership with his brother. He is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at Louisville, Ky., and in political life is a Democrat. Mr. Freas holds membership with the Lutheran church.
William Freas, Jr., was united in marriage on August 9, 1903, to Helen D. HINEBURGER, who was born in Rossville, Ind., April 17, 1875, the daughter of Joseph and Rosa (SEIGFRIED) HINEBURGER. Joseph Hineburger was born in Yorkville, Ind., August 6, 1851, and came to Clinton county when twenty years of age. He settled in Rossville, and in 1878 came to Frankfort, where he worked as a carriage maker, and later worked in the grocery trade, which he has followed over since. Mrs. Hineburger was born near Schnecksville, Pa., on July 19, 1855. Both parents are living in this city on South Jackson street. Mrs. Freas, by her first marriage, was the mother of two children, namely: Mrs. Max FOWLER and Horace.
Harvey FREAS was born September 9, 1876, and attended the common schools of Clinton county. He also graduated from the Frankfort high school in 1897. In the year of the Spanish-American war he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry under Captain D. F. Allen. Harvey was commissioned commissary sergeant of the company. In St. Louis he was transferred to the band of the same regiment and was made a sergeant of the band. His service included eighteen months in the Philippines, and every duty he was commanded to do he did with the utmost fidelity. In 1901 he was honorably discharged from the army. He worked for his father in the liquor business in Frankfort until he went into partnership with his brother in the cigar trade.
Fraternally, Harvey Freas belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Spanish-American War Veterans. He casts his vote for the Democratic candidates, and attends the Lutheran church.
In 1904 he was married to Mamie COHEE, a daughter of William and Jannie (TAYLOR) COHEE. Mrs. Freas lived only two years, dying on March 25, 1906. In November, 1907, Mr. Freas was married to Tracey KEENE.
The present cigar store of the Freas brothers was opened in April, 1912. The store is one of the finest of its kind in the state, being fitted with Opal-Onyx cigar fixtures, and a full line of cigars, tobaccos, and confections is carried.
pp. 760-762 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FRETZ, Daniel B.
Daniel B. FRETZ -- The Lafaeytte family of this name is of German original. Daniel Fretz, who was born in PA had a son named Enos, who was born at the parental home in Lehigh Co and married Sophia Brunner of Alsace-Lorraine. Both father and son came to Tippecanoe County in 1853 and located in Perry Twp where they spent the remainder of their days. Enos Fretz, who was an only child, learned the shoemaker's trade and followed it as an occupation for 27 years, during which time he gave instructions to 9 apprentices for terms of two years each. When he came here along in 1852 to look up a location, he bought 80 a cres of timber, a half mile south of PEttie, and next year his parents joined him. He purchased the Bains saw and grist mills, which he ran for over 30 years, while farming at hte same time. He was an active worker in the German Reformed church and became quite prominent as a citizen and business man in his community. He died in 1889 age 77and his wife passed away in 1886 aged 68. When they came to Tippecanoe Co there were 8 children in the family. Elizabeth the eldest married TF Reis of Mulberry, Ind; Enos, the third child died in November 1908 at Mulberry while in the marble and monument business; he married Sallie Moyer; William the fourth child married Pauline Roth and is a farmer 1/2 mile east of Monitor, ind; Sophia is the widow of Presley Baker of Perry Twp; Henry who married Lulu Frey is a sawmill owner in Mellott, Fountain county, Indiana; Charles who married Kittie Karn is a wealth and up-to-date farmer and stock dealer, owning 3 large farms; Mary is the wife of James Rothenberger of Mulberry; Philip, the youngest child and the only one born in Tippecanoe County married Retta Harlen and runs a sawmill and lives in Va. Daniel b. Fretz, second in age of his father's 9 children was born in Lehigh Co PA Jan 20, 1839 and was about 14 years old when his parents settled in this section. He remained at home until 22 years old spent 3 years in Indianpaolis, working two years in the Etna mill and one year in the Capital Flour Mill. Immediately after coming to Tippecanoe County he began working with his father in the mill and was consequently well up in the business by the time he reached his majority. In 1864 he was married at Indianapolis to Amanda Brown of Lehigh Co PA who died in 1866 leaving one child named Sarah now the wife of John Myer of W. Lafayette with two children, Carlton and Aldine. In 1867 Mr. Fretz married Almina Roth of Clinton Co Ind who died Aug 12, 1895 without issue. Jan 28, 1896. Mr. Fretz married Mary E. Etter of Perry Twp, a daughter of John H. and Susan Leinger Etter of Franklin County, PA who came to Tippecanoe Co. in 1865. By this marriage, Mr. Fretz has 3 children: Solomon, Maude and Theodore. After his first marriage he ran the Pyrmont MIll for two years and managed his father's mill for the same length of time. Feb 22, 1870 he located at Monitor, in Perry Twp, and bought the mills owned by Daggert, Potter & Martin. In 1871 he fitted up one of these as a gristmill and converted the others into a sawmill in 1885. Mr. Fretz has always done some farming on the side and now owns a place of 59 acres, which he cultivates. He belongs to the English Lutheran Church and helped build the one at Pettit. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America at Monitor. Mrs. Fretz is a breeder of White leghorns and Light Brahma chickens and has a fine lot of this class of high grade poultry. In 1892 Mr. Fretz built a fine home which has gas and all the modern improvements.
Source: Past and present of Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1909, p 787.
Transcribed by Karen Zach
FRIEDRICH, Samuel R.
Germany has contributed, many times oft, to the citizenship of the United States. Invariably she sends to our shores men who later benefit the intense and careless American world. Frugality, industry, and simplicity of life are native to the German, and such an element is what the country needs; it is something the nature of oil on the troubled waters. The Father-land has not given up her men to us in order that they might gain inroads into our commercial interests, although they are there welcome, but has permitted them to serve in our armies, risking life and career under a strange flag. Countless Germans have fought for us, and these brave numbers include the father of our subject, who joined the Federal army in the days of 61. Our subject is comparatively a recent settler in Clinton county, but he has already made his influence felt in connection with many worthy enterprises, and gives promise of becoming one of the representative men of the community.
Samuel R. FRIEDRICH was born on December 22, 1860, in Champaign county, Illinois, and was a son of Eugene and Sarah E. (MCCLOUGHEN) FRIEDRICH. The father was born in Germany, and moved to the United States when he was sixteen years of age. His first location in this country was in Virginia, and later he moved to the state of Illinois. When the Civil War opened he enlisted in the Fifty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in Company I, and in the later years of the struggle he became captain of the company. He departed from his earthly life on May 28, 1912. During his life Mr. Freidrich was very prominent in politics, in which he was alternately a Democrat and a Republican. He served in several offices, among them being that of township trustee. He was twice married, our subjects mother being his second wife. The mother was a native of Ohio, born there in 1841, and she is still living in Illinois. Six children were born to them, namely: Samuel, Thompson, Rosy, Mary, Edward and Sherman, the last three being deceased.
Samuel Friedrich received a common school education and also attended high school in Illinois. Since his school days he has farmed, and in 1903 he moved to Boone county, Indiana, and lived there two years, later coming to Jackson township, Clinton county, in 1906. He now lives on his well tiled and fenced farm of one hundred and fifty-three acres. While in the state of Illinois Mr. Friedrich carried on quite an extensive horse breeding business, at first in the light horse class, chief among his property being Golddust, and later he had heavy draft horses, including an imported Percheron and English shire. At present Mr. Friedrich owns a registered Percheron sire, and he also is raising Chester White hogs and registered Short Horn cattle.
On December 25, 1879, Mr. Friedrich was married to Martha E. PETERS, who was born April 9, 1861, in Champaign county, Illinois, and was the daughter of William F. and Rozana (HERALD) PETERS, natives of Indiana and Illinois respectively. Mrs. Friedrich received a common school education in her youth. The nine children born to this union were: Sarah Rozella, born October 4, 1880, and died in 1884; Lawrence, born March 19, 1882; Sherman E., born August 26, 1884; Floyd, born July 1, 1888; Amy F., born October 30, 1890; Ethel May, born June 15, 1893; Bessie V., born April 3, 1896; Winnie, born October 17, 1899, and one child who died unnamed.
Politically, Mr. Friedrich is a Democrat, and religiously is a member of the Christian church. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Court of Honor Insurance Order.
pp. 927-928 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FRIEND, Berlie E.
It is indeed gratifying to the biographer, in looking over such a county as Clinton, to see men so young in years as Berlie E. FRIEND, of Forest township, have such a splendid start as an agriculturist. It indicates that in due course of time he will rank, no doubt, among the foremost men of his line of endeavor in the locality. Many a young man starts out with the same ambition and determination as did he but desire ungratified is bad for most people : they become discouraged after a time and slacken their pace, become indifferent, do their tasks half-heartedly and begin drifting with the current. The end is easily foretoldfailure, not infrequently disgrace and ruin.
Mr. Friend was born December 10, 1888, in this township and county. He is a son of Leonard and Martha E. (DAVIS) FRIEND. They were married July 30, 1879. The father was born March 1, 1855, in Indiana, and his death occurred in 1894, March 24th. He came to Clinton county when a boy and here grew to manhood, received such educational advantages as the early-day schools afforded and here he spent the rest of his life successfully engaged in farming. His only child was our subject. A history of the Davis family may be found in the sketch of Clint DAVIS, also that of Mrs. Laura B. DUNN, appearing on other pages of this volume. They are half brother and half sister to our subjects mother.
Berlie E. Friend grew to manhood on his fathers farm and there assisted with the work when he became of proper age, and he received his education in the common schools of his township.
On December 12, 1906, Mr. Friend married Mary ALTER, who was born in Forest township, this county, June 25, 1889, and here she grew to womanhood and received her education in the public schools. She is a daughter of John T. and Melissa (MILLER) ALTER, both still living. To our subject and wife one child has been born, Clifton FRIEND, whose birth occurred on June 5, 1908.
Mr. Friend has always engaged in farming and has been very successful. He is owner of a productive and well improved place of one hundred and twenty acres, all tillable, and he has a good home and convenient outbuildings. He keeps Jersey cows, Duroc hogs and all purpose horses, and carries on general stock raising and farming.
Fraternally, he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Forest, and politically, he is a Republican.
Our subjects mother was married a second time to W. H. WELLS, a farmer, now retired, and living in Russiaville. She was born June 19, 1856, and died May 20, 1906. She had no children by her second marriage.
pp. 645-646 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
FRIEND, Paul I.
PAUL I. FRIEND, farmer and ex--soldier of Forest township, Clinton county, Ind., is of English descent. Ignatius Friend, his grandfather, was a native of Virginia, where he married Susanna SHAFER and came west, locating first in Ohio, whence he moved to Rush county, Ind., and finally, in 1848, settled in Clinton county, where he bought a farm in the wilderness. He served through the Mexican war, and for meritorious conduct was commissioned captain; as an old line whig, he was elected justice of the peace. John J. Friend, son of above and father of Paul I., the subject of this sketch, was born in Ohio, and was quite small when brought to Rush county, Ind., where he grew to manhood. In 1847 he came to Clinton county and purchased 300 acres of land. He married Eliza J. SMITH, and to this marriage were born the following children: Vesper E., Leander W., Elizabeth, Paul I., Christina, Joel F., Viola and Eliza J. Both father and mother died in August, 1858. Paul I. Friend was born in Rush county, Ind., November 21, 1843, and was reared a farmer. When but seventeen years of age, August 13, 1862, he enlisted in company H, Eighty-sixth Indiana infantry, and took part in the battles of Rural Hill, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Knoxville, Rocky Faced Ridge, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Lost Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee River, Atlanta, Jonesboro, and others. At Chickamauga his brother-in-law was dangerously wounded, and Mr. Friend assisted him from the field, and returned immediately to the point he had left, to find it occupied by a regiment of rebel cavalry instead of his own regiment. In fleeing from capture, a tuft of hair was shot from his head, a bullet passed through his coat at the shoulder, and another through his clothing at the hip; at Missionary Ridge, a piece of shell struck his hand. He then operated with Thomas in the pursuit and destruction of the rebel Gen. Hood's army, fighting constantly for one hundred days. He received an honorable discharge June 6, 1865, and is now a member of H. C. Coulter post, No. 131, G. A. R., at Russiaville, and in politics is a democrat. Mr. Friend married Indiana Lucas, daughter of Ruben and Nellie (DAILY) LUCAS, and this union has been blessed by the birth of the following children: Andrew J., Eliza E., Aurora G., Addie M., William T., Marilda, Lucy M. and Bertha M. Mr. Friend is the owner of a farm of sixty acres, nicely improved, and he and wife are members of the New Light church and are much respected in the community in which they live.
pp. 677-678 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
FRYE, John 0.
We should indeed be proud of the fact that there is no limit in this county to which natural ability, industry and honesty may not aspire. One born in the most unpromising surroundings and reared in the most adverse environment may. nevertheless, break from his fetters and rise to the highest station in the land, and the qualities do not leave to be of transcendent character to enable him to accomplish this result. It is more the way he does it and his skill in grasping the opportunities presented than to any remarkable qualities possessed by him. Accordingly, it is found that very often in this country the chief executive of the nation or state and other high public officials possess no greater ability than thousands of others. They have simply taken better advantage of their opportunities than their fellows. And this truth runs through every occupation. The business man rises above his competitors merely by taking advantage of conditions which others overlook or fall to grasp. It is so with the subject of this review; he has ever been wide awake and industrious, and his reward has been an enviable success.
John 0. Frye was born in Morristown, Hamlin county, Tennessee, on April 20, 1875. He was the son of John B. and Nancy (COX) FRYE, the father a native of Clinton county, and the mother of the state of Virginia. By trade the father was a tanner, and was an ardent member of the Christian church. He died on May 18, 1895. He served in the Civil war, and made there a splendid record being a corporal under Capt. John W. Hannah, Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. He was enrolled on the Twelfth day of November, 1863, and honorably discharged from service August 31, 1865, at Greensboro, N. C. The mother is still living with her son, Thomas, in Tennessee. Our subject was one of a family of eight, namely: Love H., a merchant of Ashville, N. C.; William F., a railroad man of Cincinnati; Thomas, a conductor on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad; James C., a farmer; Lillie B. LUTTRELL; Florence E. SMITH, and Jennie B. WILFORD, the two latter deceased.
Mr. Frye spent his early days in the state of Tennessee, and received his early education in the common schools there. Before coming to Indiana, and after leaving school, he followed railroading for several years. In 1893 he moved to Clinton county, and continued for a period of three years in the railroad business. He finally gave that up and entered the employment of the LESEURE Brothers, as clerk in their cigar store. His ability soon asserted itself and he was promoted to the position of manager, which same he held for five years. Having saved enough of the worldly goods he opened up a store of his own in 1911, and in 1913 he incorporated with the Leseure Brothers under the name of J. 0. Frye & Company, he being the president of the concern. Two stores are operated in Frankfort. The scope of their business is described by their advertising term: "Wholesale and retail tobacco dealers." Mr. Frye is also a stockholder in the People's Life Insurance Company and the Capital State Bank of Indianapolis.
Fraternally, Mr. Frye is one of the most prominent men in the county. His memberships include the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council, Commandery, and Shrine of the Masonic Order; the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks; the Knights of Pythias; Improved Order of Red Men; Hay Makers; Tribe of Ben Hur; Order of Eastern Star; Pythian Sisters; Travelers Protective Association, and the Loyal Order of Moose. Politically, Mr. Frye is a Re-publican. In 1912, he ran for the office of recorder of Clinton county, but was defeated by the narrow margin of twelve votes. He is a member of the Christian church.
Mr. Frye was united in marriage to Georgia G. Comly, the daughter of John A. and Eva (DAVIDSON) COMLY, both natives of Clinton county. Mrs. Frye had one sister --- Mrs. Isalake AUBLE, a school teacher at Forest, Ind. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Frye: Evelena, Ellen and Johnnetta.
Pages 709 & 710. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
DAVID FUDGE, grandfather of David Fudge MAISH, being a pioneer of Clinton county, Ind., and a man of more than ordinary gifts and ability, we deem worthy of mention in this volume. He was born in Warren county, Ohio, March 8, 1810, and there spent his early manhood as farmer, and later as tanner for his brother, John FUDGE. August 18, 1834, he was married to Mary SMITH, of Greene county, Ohio, and came to Clinton county, Ind., the same year, settling upon the farm now owned by Henry MAISH, Sr. Here Mr. Fudge lived, tilling his farm and clearing away the wilderness about him until called to the ministry in 1847. He had been an ardent worker in the Methodist Episcopal church from the time of his conversion in Ohio, and enjoyed the confidence and respect of his brethren and friends outside the church in such a degree that, long before his entering the regular work of the ministry, he was called from far and near to conduct funerals, marriages and other religious services. As a revivalist, he was especially gifted, and Methodism owes much to his ability, and has hardly seen his equal as an organizer and leader. Many of the older residents yet living in Clinton county bear testimony to his sterling worth and integrity as a citizen. He was the father of several children, of whom Catherine Elizabeth was the first wife of Henry MAISH, whose biography is given above. His untimely death occurred at Battle Ground, Ind., March 18, 1847, from that dread disease, black erysipelas, and his remains were placed in the old South cemetery at Frankfort. His widow died May 28, 1863, and her remains were interred by his side.
pages 793-794. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.