- G -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
MONROE GANGWER - one of the leading and well known citizens of Mulberry, Madison township, Clinton county, Ind., who is now engaged in the lumber business, represents that class of progressive citizens who are the life of the town and are ever interested in its promotion and upbuilding. He was born in Lehigh county, Pa., on the 3rd of January, 1844, and is a son of Thomas and Esther (STECKEL) GANGWER, who were natives of the same county. The father was born in 1811, and during his younger years learned the stone mason's trade, which he followed for some time and then turned his attention to farming. The fall of 1852 witnessed his arrival in Indiana He then came to Clinton county, and subsequently removed to Tippeecanoe county, where he died in 1866. His wife passed away the previous year. They were the parents of the following children: William, who resides in Frankfort; George, a resident of Mulberry; Rebecca, deceased: Elizabeth, wife of Jesse WEED; Sarena, wife of Edwin SHIRER; Charlotte, wife of Nathan MILLER; Debora; Susan, widow of Andrew J. DARLAND; Thomas and Peter, both deceased; and Even, who died in infancy. The paternal grandfather of Monroe Gangwer was also a native of the Keystone state and reached the advanced age of eighty-four years. His family comprised the following children, namely: Daniel, living; Abraham, Horace, Ephraim, Thomas, Charles and Polly, who are now deceased.
Farm work became very familiar with Monroe Gangwer during his boyhood, for his parents lived upon a farm and he early began work in the fields. His education was acquired in the common schools of the neighborhood. He remained at home until he had attained his majority and then started out in life for himself. He first established a sawmill in Carroll county, Ind., and then in Clinton county, and operated it until 1879, when he came to Mulberry, where he has since been connected with lumber interests. He here carries on a sawmill and also buys and sells lumber, having been engaged in the retail trade since 1882. In connection with this he has a weaving machine to weave slat fences, and by carrying on this industry adds not a little to his income. He also owns forty acres in Washington township, beside eight houses in Frankfort, also some vacant lots and six residences in Mulberry.
Mr. Gangwer was married July 21, 1870, to Madora PARKS, who was born January 3, 1852, and is a daughter of William and Elizabeth (DARLING) PARKS, natives of Butler county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Gangwer have an interesting family of five children Addie, who was born June 16, 1872, and is now the wife of George H. MILLER; Frank P., who was born October 16, 1873, and is now a member of the firm of Miller & Gangwer of Mulberry; Earl, born October 2, 1880; Troy R., born August 7, 1882; and Mary I., born October 14, 1891. Both Mr. and Mrs. Gangwer are member of the Methodist Episcopal church and also belong to the Good Templars' society. In politics he was formerly a democrat, but now votes with the prohibition party. He is a man of excellent business and executive ability, and as the result of good management and persevering effort has acquired a handsome competence.
Pages 680-681 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GARD, Oliver , M. D.
OLIVER GARD, M.D., a prominent physician of Frankfort and the present efficient clerk of the Clinton circuit court, is a native of Switzerland county Ind., and the fifth of a family of ten children born to Jesse and Amanda (McHENRY) GARD. Jesse Gard was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, March 8, 1811, the son of William and Sarah (WOODRUFF) GARD, who moved from the ''Buckeye" state to Indiana a number of years ago, settling in the county of Switzerland. William Gard, son of Jeremiah and Experience Gard, was born June 8, 1788, in Fayette county, Pa., and was a leading man during the early days of Switzerland county, which he represented in the first legislature ever assembled in Indiana. It was while on his way to Corydon to attend the legislature that he contracted a severe cold, which ultimately brought on consumption, thus causing his death April 14, 1827; he was buried on his farm in York township, Switzerland county. By occupation he was a tiller of the soil. He married in Ohio and became the father of two children -- Jesse, deceased, and Elizabeth, who lives near the old home farm in Switzerland county. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Gard married her sister, who bore him three children: William P, of Kansas; Julia, deceased, and Sarah J., of Switzerland county.
Jesse Gard, son of the above, and father of Oliver, was reared on the home place and remained with his parents until the death of his father, which event threw the responsibility of supporting the family largely upon his shoulders, he being the eldest child. On arriving at manhood's estate he married and took charge of the home place, a portion of which he subsequently purchased, and continued to manage the same until the spring of 1849, when he moved to Clinton county, and located a home in the township of Warren, where he resided until his death, which occurred October 19, 1881, his remains being interred in the Sims graveyard. His wife, whose maiden name was Amanda McHENRY, was born January 18, 1814, in Hamilton county, Ohio; she bore her husband ten children: Perry W., deceased; Charlotte, wife of D. McKOWEN of Frankfort; James, deceased; Oliver, the subject of this notice; Sarah, deceased; Cynthia, wife of J H. DRONBERGER of Terre Haute; Eliza, wife of H. C. CONAWAY of Union county, Ind.; M. H., a resident of Texas; Edward E., a farmer residing in Wisconsin. Jesse Gard was a man of much more than the ordinary powers of mind, very conservative and retiring during the greater part of his life, and an exemplary citizen in every respect. He left, as a heritage to a grateful prosperity, the record of a pure, clean life, and many sterling qualities of manhood, which have been reproduced in the lives of his descendants.
Dr. Oliver Gard was born on the twelfth day of January, 1842, in Switzerland county, Ind., moved with his parents to Clinton county in 1845, and spent his youthful years on the farm, with the rugged duties of which he early became inured, and where he was taught those lessons of industry and perseverance by which his subsequent years have been characterized. In the common schools he acquired a rudimentary English education, and afterward, when about seventeen years of age, he entered an academy at New London, where he pursued his studies very assiduously until the breaking out of the great rebellion. In September, 1861, when only nineteen years old, the doctor responded to his country's call for volunteers, and enlisted on the tenth of that month in company H, Third Indiana cavalry, with which he served until discharged on account of physical disability in April, 1864, acting a part of the time as hospital steward. He was with his command in a number of skirmishes and battles-chiefly at Shiloh, Chickamauga, Jonesboro and Perryville, saw much service and earned the reputation of a gallant soldier who was never known to shirk duty, however dangerous. On leaving the army Dr. Gard returned to Clinton county and formed a partnership with his brother Perry, carrying on a very extensive mercantile and grain trade at the town of Middlefork.
In 1866 Mr. Gard began the study of medicine with Dr. M. L. MARTIN, of Middlefork, under whose direction he continued a couple of years, making rapid progress in the meantime. He entered Rush Medical college, Chicago, in 1867, the prescribed course of which he completed February 3, 1869. After receiving his diploma he located at the town of Middlefork in partnership with his preceptor and practiced there with the most gratifying success until March, 1882, when he moved to the city of Frankfort, where he soon enjoyed a lucrative practice; in 1884 he was nominated by the republicans to represent them in the state legislature, and while he ran two hundred ahead of his ticket he was defeated by forty-five votes. In 1886 his party unanimously gave him the nomination for clerk of the circuit court, and he was elected, receiving more votes than any man on the ticket, and was the first republican clerk the county ever had. In 1890 he was reelected to the same position; his time will expire November 1, 1895. The doctor has served as president of the Clinton County Medical society and he also belongs to the State Medical society of Indiana, in the deliberations of which he takes an active part. His professional reputation is an enviable one, and he combines the qualities of the true healer with those of the courteous gentleman, which make him very popular with the people and trusted in the sick room. In matters educational the doctor has always taken the greatest interest, and as township trustee and member of the Frankfurt school board he has made his influence felt in behalf of many modern improvements, and in the selection of teachers professionally well qualified for their work. The doctor is a politician, though not a partisan, and his popularity with the people, irrespective of party affiliations is attested by the very decided majorities he received in a county which has always been considered reliably democratic.
He is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Clinton lodge, No. 54, in which he has passed all the chairs, and he also belongs to the council, chapter and commandery, in all of which he has held the highest official positions. He is also a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of the mystic shrine. He is an active worker in Stone River post, No. 65, G. A. R., and past post commander; belongs to the Red Men and Pythian fraternities, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has used his influence pretty effectually in behalf of the cause of temperance in Frankfort and Clinton county.
In religion the doctor is a Methodist, and was a lay delegate to the general conference held at Omaha, Neb., in 1892, and for the past sixteen years has been the efficient superintendent of the Sunday-school at Frankfort, which is one of the largest and best disciplined in the state, the average attendance being over 400. In this work the doctor is enthusiastic, and to him is largely due the credit of making the Frankfort school one of the most thorough in all its appointments in the west. The doctor has a beautiful home in Frankfort, has other valuable property in the county, and is classed among the substantial men of Clinton financially.
Dr. Gard has been twice married; the first time in 1864 to Miss Martha DUNNELL, of Howard county, daughter of Ezra and Susan DUNNELL, to which union three children were born: Minnie, wife of Prof. Lewis RETTGER, of the State normal school, Terre Haute; Lennie, wife of D. S. HAYNES, of Tipton, Ind., and Nina, wife of Bruce PULLEN, a resident of the county of Clinton. The mother of these children was called from the scene of her earthly labors on the fourth day of March, 1871, and on the fourteenth day of May, 1873, the doctor married his present wife, India S. MERRICK, whose birth occurred March 10, 1850, in Clinton county. Mrs. GARD is a daughter of John and Nancy (TYNER) MERRICK, and has borne her husband six children; Grace, deceased; Rush, deceased; Helen and Russell, and two that died in infancy. Mrs. Gard is a member of the Methodist church, and a woman of much popularity in Frankfort. Dr. Gard is a man of fine presence and attractive personality, educated and refined, and he impresses all with whom he comes in contact as a true type of the polished and courteous gentleman. In the enjoyment of ample means and universal confidence and esteem, he may be said to have acquired the best success in life, and he has the best wishes of his fellow-citizens of Frankfurt and Clinton county for his future prosperity and happiness. The prominence of the Gard family has been attained by true merit, as manifested by the living members, and doubtless will be sustained by those yet to come.
Pages 682-685 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GARD, Oliver, M.D.
No profession wins greater respect and admiration from the people than that of the medical man. He is a servant of the public and a willing one. He must bear with him the confidences of many people. A father or mother entrusts to his care their dearest treasuretheir child, and he is the one who stands between life and death. To say that he must be deft, skillful and learned in his profession is not saying all; he must also possess that assurance and confidence that is communicable, for therein lies half the battle. The subject of our sketch is not now engaged in the medical profession, but for so many years was he identified with the leading and best physicians of Frankfort, Ind., that his name will ever be the emblem of fair, tactful and successful administration.
Oliver GARD was born on January 12, 1842, in Switzerland county, Ind., the son of Jesse and Amanda (MCHENRY) GARD. Jesse Gard was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, March 8, 1811, being the son of William and Sarah (WOODRUFF) GARD, who traveled from the Buckeye state to the Hoosier state many years ago, and settled in Switzerland county. William Gard, son of Jeremiah and Experience GARD, was born June 8, 1788, in Fayette county, Pa. He held the position of one of the leading men of Switzerland county in the early days and represented her in the first Legislature ever held in Indiana. He died April 14, 1827. He is remembered by his successful work in agriculture and the worthy descendants that have graced his name. He married in Ohio, and became the father of two children: Jesse, deceased, and Elizabeth, of Switzerland county. After the death of his first wife, Mr. Gard married her sister who bore him three children: William P., of Kansas; Julia and Sarah J., all deceased.
Jesse Gard, son of the above and father of our subject, remained with his parents until the death of his father and then he was forced to assume largely the parental duties. In early manhood he married Amanda MCHENRY, a young girl from Hamilton county, O. She was born January 18, 1814, and lived to bring ten children to her husband: Perry W., deceased; Mrs. Charlotte MCKOWEN, of Frankfort; James, deceased; Oliver, Sarah, deceased; Mrs. Cynthia DRONBERGER, of Terre Haute; Mrs. Eliza CONOWAY, of Union county, Ind.; M. H., of Texas; and Edward E., a Wisconsin farmer.
Dr. Oliver Gard moved when seven years of age with his parents to Clinton county. Here, amidst the rugged duties of the farm, he spent his early years. In the common schools he acquired a rudimentary education, and later, when seventeen years of age, he entered an academy at New London, where he studied industriously until the war of the Rebellion broke out. In September, 1861, Mr. Gard saw heavy service in the field, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Jonesboro, and Perryville, and also served loyally for a time as hospital steward. On leaving the army Mr. Gard returned to Clinton county and formed a partnership with his brother Perry, carrying on an extensive mercantile and grain trade in the town of Middlefork.
In 1866, Mr. Gard began the study of medicine with Dr. M. L. Martin, of Middlefork, under whose direction he continued a couple of years, making rapid progress in the meantime. He entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1867, and completed the course there on February 3, 1869. He located in Middlefork with his preceptor and continued a most successful practice there until March, 1882, when he moved to the city of Frankfort, where he was likewise successful. In 1884, he was nominated by the Republican party to represent them in the state legislature, and while he ran far ahead of his ticket, he was defeated by the small majority of forty-five votes. In 1886 he was elected to serve as clerk of the circuit court, being the first Republican ever elected to that office in the county. In 1890, he was re-elected to the same position, serving until November 1, 1895. Dr. Gard has acted as president of the Clinton County Medical society and also belongs to the State Medical society of Indiana. In the educational world the doctor has always taken the greatest interest. As township trustee and member of the Frankfort school board, he has always stood for improvement nad (sic) progress. In later years, Dr. Gard discontinued his practice of medicine and entered the undertaking profession. Now he enjoys the reputation of being the leading undertaker and embalmer in Frankfort, Ind.
Dr. Gard has been twice married, the first time in 1864 to Martha BUNNELL, of Howard county, the daughter of Ezra and Susan BUNNELL, of which union three children were born: Minnie, wife of Prof. Lewis RETTGER, of the State Normal school, Terre Haute: Mrs. Lennie HAYNES, of Evansville, and Mrs. Nina PULLEN, of Union county. The mother of these children was called by death on March 4, 1871, and on May 14, 1873, Dr. Gard married his present wife, India J. MERRICK, born March 10, 1850, the daughter of John and Nancy (TYNER) MERRICK. Six children have been born to her: Grace (deceased), Rush (deceased), Helen, Russell and two that died in infancy. Mrs. Gard is a member of the Methodist church in Frankfort, and shares equally with her husband in the esteem of the people.
In religion, the doctor is a Methodist and was a lay delegate to the general conference held in Omaha, Nebraska, 1892, and for many years afterward was the efficient superintendent of the Sunday school at Frankfort. The doctor has a beautiful home in the city of Frankfort, and great deal of valuable land out in the county. He is classed, financially, as one of the most substantial citizens of Frankfort.
Doctor Gard belongs to Clinton Lodge No. 54, in the Masonic fraternity, in which he has passed all the chairs, and he also belongs to the council, chapter and commandery, in all of which he has held the highest official positions. He is also a thirty-third degree Mason, having been elevated to same by his work in the order. He is an active member in Stone River Post No. 65, Grand Army of the Republic, and past post commander; he has belonged to the Improved Order of Red Men and Knights of Pythias, also to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Throughout his life he has been a strict advocate of temperance.
Doctor Gard served two terms in the State senate in 1901 and 1903. He was elected mayor of Frankfort November 4, 1913.
pp. 379-381 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
GARD, Perry W.
PERRY W. GARD, deceased editor and lawyer of Frankfort, Ind., the eldest of a family of ten children born to Jesse and Amanda (McHENRY) GARD, was born in Switzerland county; Ind., November 30, 1833, and moved with his parents to Clinton county in April, 1849, his father settling on a farm in Warren township. After his removal to this county, he assisted his father in clearing up and preparing for the plow a very heavily timbered tract of land, and performed the various duties incident to farm life during the winter seasons, he attended such schools as the country then afforded. In the spring of 1851, he accepted a clerkship in a country store at Middlefork, owned by John EVANS, then the contractor for building the Michigan plank road. In April, 1855, he embarked in business for himself, succeeding his old employer. He continued in the mercantile business at Middlefork for a period of ten years-first with Jacob C. BODKEY, then by himself, and afterward with his brother, Oliver Gard. In September, 1865, he closed up his mercantile career, with but little to show for ten years' hard work, except a good stock of experience. In the following December, he purchased of James BEARD the Frankfort Banner, and, as editor and publisher, conducted that paper until the spring of 1867. The campaign of 1866 was a very warm one, especially over the county ticket. The "Banner," as the republican paper, took an active part in this contest. Mr. Gard was nominated by the republicans for clerk in 1867, and made the race against D. W. C. BRYANT, but was defeated by a majority of 157. He then formed a partnership with S. H. DOYAL, Esq., in the practice of law, and the law firm of Doyal & Gard became one of the ablest and best known in the county. Mr. Gard was a graduate of the law department of the State university - graduating in the class of 1870. On the organization of the city government of Frankfort he was elected mayor, and served from January 1, 1876, to the regular election in the following May. He was the republican candidate for senator for the counties of Boone and Clinton, in 1876, but was defeated by Hon J. V. Kent, by a plurality of thirty-seven votes. Mr. Gard was a zealous Mason from the time he was old enough to enter the portals of a lodge, having been made a member at the age of twenty-one in Burlington lodge No. 111 at Burlington, Ind. He was a charter member of Middle Fork lodge, No. 304, and its first senior warden. After his removal to Frankfort, he served three terms as worshipful master of Clinton lodge. He received the chapter degrees in Lebanon chapter, No. 39, at Lebanon, Ind., in June, 1869, and the council degrees in Boone council, No. 54, April 12, 1875. He was a charter member of the chapter and council at Frankfort, and was worthy patron of the chapter of the order of the Eastern Star; worshipful master of Clinton lodge, No. 45, F. & A. M.; high priest of Clinton chapter, No. 82, R. A. M.; illustrious master of Frankfort council, No. 46, R. & S. M., and illustrious grand master of the grand council of the state of Indiana. He was a charter member of Frankfort commandery, No. 29, Knights Templar, and was the third eminent commander of that body. He was liberal in his theology and radical on the temperance question. He was small of stature, yet for physical ability and power of endurance was probably not excelled by any member of the bar in Clinton county. Of him, Nelson Sizer, the noted professor of phrenology, said; "His organization is remarkable for its intensity and enthusiasm. He has not been still, except when asleep, since he got out of his cradle. He will, probably die with the harness on, with something half finished." Those who were acquainted with him will recognize this picture as true. The death of Mr. Gard took place August 14, 1893, and Frankfort has seldom mourned so active or useful a citizen.
The marriage of Mr. Gard took place December 10, 1854, to Miss Cynthia A CROMWELL, to which happy union were born eight children; five of whom are, still living Charles E., Rob Morris, Wilbur W.; Walter S and Clarence S. The deceased are Luella who died in August, 1877, aged 11 years, Thomas C. who died in Florida, where he had gone in search of health, in February; 1884, aged twenty-three, and Lucy J., who likewise died in Florida, where she had gone in the hope of regaining her health, in February, 1894, aged twenty-three years.
Mrs. Cynthia Gard still resides at the pleasant family residence, 358 South Jackson Street, surrounded by her surviving children and a host of genial friends.
Pages 681- 682 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
FREDERICK GEIGER, one of the prominent business men of Edna Mills, Ross township, Clinton county, Ind. , is proprietor of the mills from which the village takes its name. He was born in Wittemburg, Germany, and is the son of Jacob and Mary (SNIDER) GEIGER. His father was stage driver for the German govern-ment, and, soon after marriage, came to America, first settling in York, Pa., and then moving to Butler county, 0. He came to Indiana in 1844, and settled in Tippecanoe county, five miles south of Mulberry, and bought 160 acres of land and there passed the remainder of his days. He and wife were the parents of Catherine, Frederick, George, Jacob, William and Mary; of these, George was in the Seventy-second Indiana volunteer infantry, serving nearly four years, and was in many battles; he is now deceased. In politics Mr. Geiger was a democrat; in religion he was a member of the Lutheran church, to which his wife also belonged. He lived to the age of seventy-two years and died on his farm. By sterling industry and thrift he became a substantial farmer. He rode to Indiana, and, refusing to settle on prairie land near Dayton, at $5.50 per acre, located in the heavy timber of Indiana, paying $10 per acre, and it took almost the remainder of his life to make a home. He was a man of integrity of character and had no enemies. Frederick Geiger was born March 6, 1828, and was three years old when brought to America by his parents. At the early age of thirteen years he began to work for George Hoffman, a miller of Middletown, Butler county, Ohio, and received for his services one dollar per week and his board. He took hold of the business readily, and was able, by the fall of 1843, to operate the mill. The miller being sick at that time, he made a boat load of flour and sent it by river to Cincinnati, and only three barrels of it were scratched, which was unusual. He saved $160 of his wages, which he paid to his father. In 1844 he came with his father and family to Indiana, imme-diately went to work in the LaFayette mills as a miller, and then was at the Weia mills for two and one- half years, and then leased a mill in Warren county in the fall of 1848 and re-mained until the fall of 1852, and in January, 1853, he took charge of the Merchant mills, afterward the Star City mills, and remained there until June, 1883. He bought a half interest in this mill in 1855, and in January, 1867, bought the entire plant. He was very successful during and immediately after the Civil war. In September, 1851, he married Rachael, daughter of James McCOMB, a farmer of Tippecanoe county, and an old settler. To Mr. and Mrs. Geiger were born four children: Francis J., Mary E., Frederick and John, the latter dying young. Mrs. Geiger is a member of the Methodist church. In politics Mr. Geiger is a strong republican, having voted with the party since its organization. He is a respected member of LaFayette lodge, No. 151, I. 0. 0. F., and has held all the offices, including noble grand, and was one of the charter members of the I. 0. R. M. of LaFayette. In 1885, Mr. Geiger came to Edna Mills with a view of putting in order the mill property, and soon engaged in milling and has since remained, doing a prosperous business. Mr. Geiger is a thorough miller and understands the business fully. He did a large business in LaFayette, averaging for several years 30,000 barrels for shipment, and is the oldest miller in this part of the state. He has always been well and widely known as a man of integrity and strictly moral character.
pp. 689-690 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GENTRY, Charles C.
Another one of the native sons of Clinton county who has shown a marked versatility in being able to make a living in many different things is Charles C. GENTRY, now proprietor of the Palace theater in the city of Frankfort, one of the leading playhouses of its kind in this section of the state. He quickly adjusts himself to new environments and makes a success of whatever he turns his attention to, and, being a gentleman who has the best interests of his town and county at heart and who believes in leading an honorable life, has the good will of his hundreds of patrons.
Mr. Gentry was born in Center township, this county, February 19, 1856. He is a son of Dr. Z. B. and Charlotte R. (TETLOW) GENTRY. Z. B. Gentry, the father, was a physician of the old school. He received but a meager schooling, and learned medicine from persistent home study, and he became successful in his profession, enjoying a wide practice, which he attended to on horseback, riding all over the county. Politically, he was a Republican, and he did much for the general upbuilding of Clinton county in its earlier days. His death occurred on April 7, 1879, his widow surviving until March 12, 1909, reaching an advanced age.
Charles C. Gentry grew up in his native town and here he has been content to spend his life, living to see many changes which have taken place here during that period of fifty-seven years. He was educated in the public and high schools of Frankfort.
On October 15, 1893, Mr. Gentry married Minnie D. DORY, who was born in Cambridge City, Ind., February 14, 1877, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (GROSCOURT) DORY. The mother is deceased, but the father is living and making his home with our subject. He is a locomotive engineer by profession, and politically is a Republican.
The union of our subject and wife has been without issue.
After Mr. Gentry left school he entered the mercantile field in which he remained until 1876 when he became assistant postmaster at Frankfort under W. H. Hart, and he remained in that capacity until 1885, giving eminent satisfaction, then he had charge of the court room under Dr. Gard, later he went into the railway mail service in which he remained a number of years. He now owns and operates the Palace theater which he has conducted for over a year with most satisfactory results. He owns a neat home, which he built himself, at 709 East Wabash street, where he has resided since November, 1894. Fraternally, he belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and the Royal Arch Masons, both at Frankfort. Politically, he is a Republican.
pp. 730-731 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
GERY, C. F.
Energy, sound judgment and persistency of effort, properly applied, will always win the goal sought in the sphere of human endeavor, no matter what the environment may be or what obstacles are met with, for they who are endowed with such characteristics, make stepping-stones of their adversities to higher things. These reflections are suggested by the career of C. F. Gery, manager of the Colfax Grain Company, who, while yet young in years has shown himself to be the possessor of many commendable traits that never fail to win no matter what the vocation in life may be. With but little assistance of any kind he has forged his way to the front ranks among the representative young business men of Clinton county.
Mr. Gery was born at Colfax, Indiana, December 10, 1888, and here he grew to manhood and received his education. He is a son of H. L. and Susan (FREES) GERY, a prominent and well known family of Colfax for many years, where the father engaged successfully in the mercantile business for a number of decades, building up an etxensive (sic) trade through his able management and honest dealings with his many customers. To H. L. Gery and wife six children were born, five sons and one daughter. Two of the sons are well known merchants of Colfax. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the family. He began clerking in a store at an early age and gave evidence of rare natural business ability from the start and finally launched out in the grain business, and, learning rapidly the ins and outs of the same eventually became manager of the Colfax Grain Company, one of the largest business firs of its kind in this part of the state, and, owing to our subjects able management and courteous and honest treatment of patrons it is rapidly growing. Of this firm, John WAUGH is president, William TYSON, secretary, and H. R. WOODBURN, treasurer, the two latter being also trustees. The elevator has a capacity of one thousand bushels per day, or three hundred and fifty thousand bushels annually. The buildings are large, substantial, up-to-date and commodious, equipped with all modern machinery and appliances, everything denoting thrift and good management. Modern mill machinery has been installed for grinding feed and corn chops of all kinds. Standard brands of flour and all kinds of feed are kept on sale, and their operations cover a very large territory.
Mr. Gery was married on July 19, 1910, to Adah Estelle REEVES, who was born, reared and educated in Crawfordsille, Indiana, where her family has long been prominent, she being a daughter of William REEVES and wife.
Politically, Mr. Gery is a Democrat, but he has never been especially active in public affairs. Fraternally, he is a member of the Masonic Order, No. 417; also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Mercy Lodge.
pp. 513-514 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
GOAR, Eli Jefferson
ELI JEFFERSON GOAR, the leading druggist of Kirklin and one of its most prominent citizens, comes from sturdy Irish and German stock. The first member of the family of whom we have any record is Henry Goar, who lived in Shenandoah county, Va. He was twice married and one of his sons for seventeen years represented his district in the state legislature. By his second wife, Catherine KELLEY, he had five children: The eldest of these, Joseph, married Martha PINE, by whom he had eleven children; the remaining four were Robert, Nancy, James and Henry. The grandfather of our subject, Joseph Goar, was born in Virginia, in 1810, and freeing his slaves removed to Pennsylvania, where he married Catherine Goar, a third cousin. They afterward emigrated to Tipton county, Ind., and purchased 300 acres of land. Mr. Goar served as county judge, and was a prominent and influential citizen. The family numbered fifteen children, and with one exception all are living. They are James M ; Sallie, wife of John EPARD; Jefferson; Martha, wife of Jeremiah BATTERTON, died at Bowling Green, Ky., in 1862: Eli J., born March 20, 1839, married Emily MOTT; Levi V., born March 20, 1839, married Delilah FISHER; Nancy L., born January 25, 1841, married Isaac PAUL, who died in 1893; Benjamin F., born April 1, 1843, married Laura THOMPSON; Amanda J., born May 19, 1845, is the wife of Curt PARKER; Louisa, C., born May 19, 1845, is the wife of John KELLEY of Harrisburg, Ark. Emily M., born September 22, 1847, is the wife of Aaron WHITE; William H., born March 31, 1849; Matt A., born September 1, 1851, married Ada FULLERTON, and after her death wedded Hattie MOSES; John Jessie. born November 15, 1854; and Catherine C., married July 4, 1883; to Fred MEKUM. The father of this family was a democrat until 1856, when he became a whig, and later a republican. He represented his district for one term in the state legislature, and since 1869 he has resided in Minnesota. His wife died in 1886.
James M. Goar, father of E. J., was born in Tipton county, Ind. and lived at home until twenty-two years of age, when he went to Iowa, and secured property with land warrants of the war of 1812. After locating 160 acres he returned to Indiana, and in 1858 married Priscilla BATTERTON, who was born in Shelby county, in 1840. By their union they had two children; Joseph W., who was born September 17, 1859, and married Emma ROBBINS; and Eli Jefferson. On the twenty-seventh of April, 1861, James M. Goar enlisted in company B, Seventy-fifth Indiana infantry, and died at Murfreesboro, February 6, 1863. His remains were interred in Hill cemetery in this county. His brother-in-law, Jeremiah BATTERTON, also died in the army, and was buried at the same time. Mr. Goar belonged to the Baptist church, was a man of quiet and generous disposition, a good citizen, and had the respect and confidence of the entire community. In 1872, his wife wedded A. C. LITTLETON; by whom she had one son, Thaddeus S., who died at the age of four years. Her death occurred in October, 1887. The husband is still living in Sugar Creek township. Her brother, Jeremiah, served as a second lieutenant during the late war and was wounded at Mill Springs, Ky., from the effects of which he afterward died. Her brother James enlisted as a private in 1861, served throughout the war, and was twice wounded in battle.
Eli J. Goar, whose name heads this record, was born in Tipton county, Ind., April 17 1861, and remained upon the farm until eighteen years of age. He attended the common schools and the high school at Frankfort, then entered the Danville Central Normal college, and at the age of eighteen began teaching. which he successfully followed for a time. In connection with his brother he then embarked in general merchandising at Fickard's Mill, where for three years they carried on a successful business. Mr. Goar was married March 12, 1882, to Orpha Louisa KING, who was born July 23, 1861, and is a daughter of James and Polly (MARY WINSHIP) KING. They have three children--James Vernon, born December 27, 1882; Everett Logan, born November 13, 1886; and Edith Lou, born December 2, 1891. In 1884, Mr. Goar sold his store and removed to the farm belonging to his father-in-law, which he continued to cultivate until 1891, when, on account of his wife's failing health, he left the farm. During the succeeding year he taught school at Forest, and in 1892 came to Kirklin. Being appointed deputy county treasurer, he then removed to Frankfort, where he remained until December, 1893. when we again find him in Kirklin. Here he formed a partnership with G. T. WILLIAMS, under the firm name of Goar & Williams, and purchased the drug stock of W. W. Wild. They have a finely appointed store; handle everything found in a first-class establishment of the kind, and now have a large business. Mr. Goar also owns a farm of ninety-two acres, under a high state of cultivation and well improved with all modern conveniences. He is a member of the Masonic lodge, and of the camp of the Sons of Veterans,. both of Kirklin. In politics he is a republican, and takes a deep interest in the success and growth of his party, but has never sought office.
William KING, grandfather of Mrs. Eli J. Goar, was born in Rockbridge county, Va., October, 1, 1777. He removed from Virginia to Rock Castle county. Ky., about 1795 and was married to Mary EVANS in 1799 He removed from Kentucky to Rush county, Ind. In 1833 and died December 7, 1337. Mary, wife of William King, was born in North Carolina April 16, 1785, removed to Kentucky when about twelve years old, there married, and removed from Kentucky to Rush county, Ind., in 1833, and in 1839 to Clinton county, Ind., and died April 10, 1847. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. William King were named as follows: James, born December 20, 1808, in Pulaski county, Ky. Mary, born in Fayette, Ind., January 17, 1817. James and Mary WINSHIP were married March 5, 1835; Thomas S. born January 25, 1836, and died May 4, 1856. William L., born March 21, 1838, and married August 26, 1863. Jesse W., born June 10, 1841. married October 11, 1866, died December 16, 1890. Celia, born October 22, 1843, and was married May 4, 1869 Mary J., born January 16, 1847, married November 21, 1883. Louisa, born December 25, 1849, married October 4, 1874. Martha A., born June 29, 1852, died February 1, 1833. John C., born November 15, 1856. married November 9, 1879. Orpha L. is now Mrs. E. J. GOAR.
Jesse WINSHIP, the maternal grandfather, was born in the state of New York. April 22, 1787, and moved to Brookville, Ind., when about twenty years of age and married Celia LeFORGE in 1811, then moved to Connersville, Ind, and in 1821 he moved to Rush county, Ind.; died November 18, 1854. Celia (LaFORGE) WINSHIP, born in New Jersey, May 23 1793, died August 12, 1854, was the mother of ten children, six sons and four daughters, who were living at her death, which was the first broken link of the family circle. The family always stood deservedly high in the community.
pages 691-693 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
DAVID GOCHENAUER, one of the prominent farmers of Owen township, Clinton county, Ind., and a respected citizen, springs from sterling German and English stock. His ancestors were early settlers of Pennsylvania, and members of the German Baptist church. John Gochenauer, grandfather of our subject, was a farmer of Shanandoah county, Va.. his farm being on the banks of the Shenandoah river. His wife was Miss FISHER, and to them were born Katie, Sallie, Betsey, Polly, Levi, John, Benjamin and William. Mr. Gochenauer had a good farm of 160 acres, and was a substantial farmer. William Gochenauer, father of David, was born in Shenandoah county, Va, on his father's farm, and received a common education. He married in Shenandoah county, Va., Mary A. HOFFMAN, of English descent, and to them were born six children, who lived to maturity: Harrison, Noah, David, Cyrus, Elizabeth and Polly. Mr. Gochenauer moved to Preble county, Ohio, in 1837, and resided on rented land until 1842, when he came to Indiana and settled in Clinton county, Ross township, where he bought eighty acres, all in the woods. He cleared this up, and by hard work and great industry, earned the means to buy forty acres more, thus owning 120 acres in all. He was a very honest man, and a consistent member of the German Baptist church. David Gochenauer was born January 26, 1832, on a farm on Cedar Creek, Shenandoah county, Va., and was but five years old when he first left Virginia, yet he can still remember the old homestead and the journey through the wilderness from Ohio to Indiana when ten years of age, the trip being made with horses and wagons -- he driving the cattle. He was brought up a farmer, was a school-teacher when a young man, and married, at the age of twenty-three years, Mary REVIS, daughter of Enoch REVIS, of Ross township, and to Mr. and Mrs. Gochenauer were born seven children, who lived to reach manhood and womanhood: Levi, Mary, Harrison, W. E., Susan C (died a married woman, aged twenty-seven years), Joseph Mc. and Jeremiah. After marriage Mr. Gochenauer settled in Ross township, on his father's old homestead, and then remained until he bought a farm of eighty acres to the east, on which he settled in September, 1864, it then consisting of 160 acres, and which he has since cleared and improved. Mrs. Gochenauer died February 17, 1874, and Mr. Gochenauer married, December 25, 1877. Margery H. Hurley, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (DANIELS) HURLEY. Thomas Hurley was of English descent, was an old settler of Washington county, Ind., and he and wife were the parents of two children, who lived to maturity-Sarah C. and Margery H. Mr. Hurley died at middle age, and his widow many years later married Henry H. BAXTER of Marshall county, Ind.
To Mr. and Mrs. Gochenauer has been born one child, Annie E., and both parents are members of the Conservative German Baptist church. He is a democrat, is respected by the people, and has been supervisor and township assessor two terms in Ross township. He is noted for his honest purpose in life and sterling character, and it may well be said of him that his word is as good as his bond. Levi Gochenauer, the son, now assisting his father in the management of the home farm, received a good common education and married Amanda, daughter of Buran and Mary J. (LENON) WYATT, to whom were born four children: Ada J., Bessie M., Ethel T., and David B. Mr. Gochenauer has taken an active interest in having good schools, and was school director three years. Both father and son are public-spirited men and stand high in their township. pp. 693 - 694 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GOFF, Amos P.
AMOS P. GOFF, an enterprising young farmer, was born in Johnson township, Clinton County, Ind., December 7, 1850, and this is his present place of business His great-grandfather, George W. Goff, was a native of Ireland, and a resident of Kentucky; Amos Goff, son of George W. was born in Kentucky, but came to Indiana when a young man, and first located in Hamilton County, but later came to Clinton County and entered 300 acres of swamp land at fifty cents per acre. The money he earned for this purpose by working on the canal in Tippecanoe County, Ind. He was a class leader in the Methodist church, and married Rosanna SMITH. Charles W. Goff, son of Amos, and father of Amos P., our subject, was born in Hamilton County, Ind., June 8, 1827. He married Hester CAREY, daughter of Jonathan and Rebecca CAREY, and to this marriage have been born the following children: Rebecca, Rosanna, P. P., Jonathan C.. Charles W., Mary A. and our subject. After marriage Charles W. Goff settled on a farm in Johnson township, and was closely identified with the township and county of Clinton until his death, April 6, 1864, aged thirty-six years, nine months, and twenty-eight days.
Amos P. Goff was educated in the old log schoolhouse near the place where he resides. He first married Miss Mary J. BROWN, daughter of David and Margaret (BAKER) BROWN. Their son Ellsworth, now a young man of twenty, survives his mother, who was a model wife as well as mother, and who died in February, 1873. Mr. Goff married for his second wife Amanda SPURGEON, widow of Josiah SPURGEON, and daughter of Newton and Delila (GANO) TULL, the former of whom died in the army. Mr. Goff resides in his wife's modern-built house on her farm of fifty-one acres, which farm is well improved in all respects. He also owns forty-three acres on the Indian Prairie, which land is very fertile. He is strong in his democratic principles, and works hard for his party. He is a member of the church of Christian Holiness, and is much respected for his upright walk through life.
pages 695-696. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GOFF, Jonathan C.
Perhaps in no profession in the world is prosperity and success so universal as in agriculture. A poor farmer is a rarity, especially in Clinton county, and if one is found who obtains a substantial living with difficulty it does not mean that he is a failure in life. Upon investigation it will be found that many times has he put his shoulder to a friend's wheel and aided others, whereby he hurt himself. Those are the unnumbered heroes. However, that does not fit the case of our subject, for he is known as one of the most well-to-do men of the county and state, at the same time retaining all the qualities which make a popular man, which qualities in other men have often been dulled and stunted by the acquisition of wealth.
Jonathan Goff was born April 10, 1852, in Johnson township, Clinton county, and was the son of Charles W. and Hester (KERRY) GOFF. Charles Goff as a native of Indiana, having, lived in both Clinton and Hamilton counties. He followed farming all of his life, and in politics was a Democrat. He died in 1864. The mother was also a native of Hamilton county. Twelve children were bron (sic) to this union, five of whom, as follows, are living: Becky E. KEMP, Perry, Jonathan, Charles and Mary BOWMAN.
Jonathan Goff has been twice married. His first wife was Lucinda Jane RECTOR, daughter of Moses and Rachel (GIBSON) RECTOR, both natives of Indiana. She was born October 22, 1852, in Sugar Creek township, Clinton county. The wife died January 12, 1911, leaving fourteen children, as follows: Charles Victor, born October 17, 1872, and married to Amanda ROBINSON; Mrs. Mary BARTELS, born May 18, I876; Mrs. Dora WILLIAMS, born December 17, 1877; Mrs. Arzona TUDER, born September 12, 1880; Mrs. Sylvia KENT, born November 7, 1881; Mrs. Daisy MYERS, born June 25, 1883; Maggie E, born March 26, 1885, died January 20, 1907; Amos S., born March 29, 1882, died April I2, 1903; Western E., born September 7, 1889, married Madge KEYS; Melvin M., born February 13, 1897; Belvie Pearl, born September 13, is 1897; The others are not named. The second wife, whom Mr. Goff married on April 30, 1913, was Mrs. Luly THOMPSON, nee PATRICK.
Our subject has been a farmer all his life, and it has meant prosperity and success to him from the beginning. In the year I855 Mr. Goff moved to the state of Nebraska and farmed there until November, 1897, when he returned to Indiana. He is now living retired from the active duties of his farm, but sees to its proper management. Mr. Goff owns eight hundred and forty acres of land where he lives and two hundred more in Kirklin township, near Cyclone. Of the farm here all is tillable except forty acres, which is in good pasture and timber land. The land is equipped with the latest improvements, added by Mr. Goff himself. He has also dealt in live stock a little, at one time taking an interest in the breeding of Belgian horses.
Fraternally, Mr. Goff is a Woodman at Hillsburg, and politically is a Democrat.
Mr. Goff's second wife was previously married, twice, her first husband being James CAHOON and her second William THOMPSON. By her first marriage there were three children, Blanche, Oris and John, the latter deceased. She was a daughter of John and Christy Ann (DIEHL) PATRICK, natives of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, who came to Clinton county, Indiana, in an early day.
Pages 565 & 566. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
GOLDSBERRY, Francis M.
FRANCIS M. GOLDSBERRY, one of the most industrious members of the Clinton county bar, with his residence at Colfax, was born in Boone county, Ind, April 20, 1844, and descends from an old colonial family of Virginia, where the grandfather, Jonathan Goldsberry, a soldier of the Revolution, was born and reared. Jonathan, however, lived for some years in Ross county, Ohio, and then came to Indiana in 1829; he located in what is now Boone county, then a primitive wilderness, and took a prominent part in the organization of the county; later he sold his land in Boone and settled in Jackson township, Clinton county, where he owned a large tract of land. He married Ruth BUTLER, of Virginia, and both were strict members of the Methodist church. Nelson B. Goldsberry, son of Jonathan and father of Francis M., our subject, was born in Ross county, Ohio, in 1824, and was reared in Boone county, Ind., on the home farm. At the age of thirty he removed to Iowa, where he still resides, and was for years engaged in ministerial work in the New Light church, but is now living in retirement at Des Moines.
Francis M. Goldsberry received his preliminary education at a pioneer schoolhouse in Boone county. November 27, 1863, he married Miss Ida DOYAL, of Clinton county. Although of a remarkably healthy constitution, this lady was called away three months later, February 25, 1864, and Mr. Goldsberry was left disconsolate. She was a most lovable woman, and was sadly missed by a wide circle of devoted friends. February 27, 1865, Mr.: Goldsberry enlisted in company K, One Hundred and Fiftieth Indiana infantry, under Capt. E. H. Langhan. The regiment was assigned to the army of the Potomac, was drilled for active service at Harper's Ferry and in the Shenandoah Valley, and had some little skirmishing with Moseby's guerrillas; but the war soon came to an end, and August 5, 1865, Mr. Goldsberry was honorably discharged, reaching his home on the first day of September following. He then married Eliza J. BLACKER, daughter of Augustus and Fannie (COYNER) BLACKER, the former of whom lost his life on the field at Jonesboro. To this union were born Lillie E., Melvin (died at the age of twenty), Chauncey L. (died at the age of twenty-two), Willie R. and Francis M. The third marriage of Mr. Goldsberry took place July 21, 1878, to Mahala J. Isenberger, daughter of George and Annie (ARNETT) ISENBERGER, and this union has been blessed by the birth of five children, viz: Nellie (died when three months old), Goldie, Silvia (died at two months), Flossie F. and Ida M. (died when three years old). The two survivors, Goldie and Flossie, aged respectively twelve and ten years, have a wide reputation for the excellence of their recitations in public, and their services are in constant demand at entertainments for miles around; they were chosen as orators at the national encampment of the G. A. R. at Indianapolis, and were also received with much enthusiasm at the recent state encampment of the G. A. R. at LaFayette. Mr. Goldsberry is past post commander of Stilwell post, No. 375, G. A. R., and is still an honored member of the post. In politics Mr. Goldsberry is a democrat, and in 1888 was nominated by acclamation as the candidate of his party for the office of prosecuting attorney for Clinton county, and, although defeated, he had the satisfaction of leading the entire democratic ticket-township, county, state and national. President Harrison carried the township by a majority of fifty-two republican majority, but Mr. Goldsberry received a majority of 107, thus leading Harrison fifty-five votes. No better evidence of Mr. Goldsberry's popularity could be offered. Mr. Goldsberry has a large and constantly increasing practice as an attorney, and has already acquired a comfortable competence, owning, as he does, a handsome dwelling in the city and a fine farm in the township. In the accumulation of his property his own legal ability has been aided by the good management, economy and sound judgment of his amiable wife and they are mutually entitled to deserved praise. Mr. Goldsberry is attorney for the "Big Four" Railway company, has a fine law library, and holds a high position in his profession as well as in social life.
Pages 696-697 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
ROBERT GOODNIGHT, junior member of the firm of J. W. Hedgcock & Co., general merchants, Michigantown, Clinton county, Ind., was born August 21, 1859, and was reared on a farm in this county. He descends from a German family, whose advent in this country took place before the Revolutionar war. WiIliam Goodnight, father of Robert, was born in Hardy county, Va., August 28, 1828, and when twenty years of age came to Indiana and located in Montgomery county, where he married Mary MOSS, daughter of John and Sarah (WEST) MOSS, and by this marriage became the father of the following children: Reptia, an infant now deceased; John, Robert and Alice. Robert Goodnight's paternal grandfather, Jacob Goodnight, came to Indiana with his family and made the settlement in Montgomery county.
The maternal grandfather, Alec WEST, was born close to Spartanburg, N. C., and subsequently settled in Marion county, Ind. John MOSS the paternal grandfather on the mother's side, was also a native of North Carolina, and was born close to Spartanburg. He also settled in Marion county, Ind., and later removed to Montgomery county, where he spent the balance of his life. Mary Goodnight's grandfather's name, on her father's side, was William Moss, who came from England to North Carolina, settled near Raleigh, and his wife's name was Malinda (FRY) MOSS. Mary Goodnight's grandfather's name, on her mother's side, was Daniel WEST, and his wife's name was Mary (LOFTEN) WEST.
Robert Goodnight was reared a farmer in Clinton county, and received a very good common school education. At the age of twenty he entered the profession of teaching, which he followed five years consecutively, making an entire success. His present business interests are indicated at the opening of this biographical notice, and he is, beside, the owner of a handsome cottage in the village of Michigantown. The first marriaige of Mr. Goodnight took place January 1, 1885 to Rebecca Whiteman, daughter of Samuel B. and Elvina (RICHARDSON) WHITEMAN -- the former a farmer of large means, and to this union was born Ruby, the father's idol. But Mr. Goodnight was bereaved of his wife January 25, 1891. She had a loving spouse and died in the faith of the Christian chrch on March 14. 1893. Mr Goodnight took for his companion through life Isabel FISKEN, who had done good service during the late war. Mr and Mrs. Goodnight are members of the Christian church, and in politics he is a democrat. Fraternally he is a K. of P., Rubien lodge, No. 340, and is also a dormant member of the I. O. R. M.
pp. 697 - 698. Source I
Transcribed by Connie
GREGG, John Taylor
JOHN TAYLOR GREGG, who devotes his time and energies to agricultural pursuits, his home being in Sugar Creek township, Clinton county, Ind., has the honor of being a native of the Hoosier state. He was born on the farm where he yet resides August 8, 1849. The family is of English origin. The grandfather, John Gregg, a native of Kentucky, served as a soldier in the war of 1812. He made farming his life occupation and became the owner of 120 acres in Howard county, Ind. His wife, Mary Gregg, was a native of Kentucky, and to them were born six children -- Matthew, Nancy, Lucy, Sarah, Jane and James. The father died at the age of seventy; his wife at seventy-five years. James Gregg was a native of Kentucky, and a farmer by occupation. He married Miss REDWINE by whom he had a daughter, Elizabeth, and after her death wedded Eliza M. THURMAN who was born June 25, 1825, and was a daughter of Elijah and Mary THURMAN. Nine children, beside John F., graced their union Joseph, Ruth, Viola, Alzina, James 0., Zora E., Lincoln H., Mary and Sarah A. James Gregg received from his father eighty acres of heavy timber land, which he cleared and improved, making it a valuable farm. He afterward became owner of 210 acres. He and wife belonged to the Christian church, and in politics he was a republican. He died at the age of sixty-one, and his widow is still living.
On the old homestead John T. Gregg was reared, and in the public schools his education was acquired. He remained with his parents until he had attained his majority, and then led to the marriage altar Miss Mary Scott, who was born December 26, 1833, and is a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (RECTOR) SCOTT. They began their domestic life upon the farm, Mr. Gregg purchasing forty acres of the old homestead, on which he erected a cabin. Six children came to bless their home: Heber, Vanrosco, James L., Ethel M., Victor and Bern. The family now has a pleasant home on a good farm of fifty acres, on which is a thrifty young orchard. Mr. Gregg pays considerable attention to raising small fruits, and in this business is meeting with good success. In politics he is a stalwart and active republican, and has served as delegate to the county conventions of his party. His industry and enterprise are numbered among his chief characteristics, and have been the means of securing for him the farm which he now occupies. His entire life has been passed in this community, and all who know him esteem him highly for his sterling worth and strict integrity. He well deserves mention among the leading farmers of this community.
Pages 700-701. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
GROVE, James A.
Another of Clinton countys substantial farmers is James A. Grove, who led an eminently useful career, devoted to the interests of himself and community. Coming to this county when the land was just assuming a profitable state he grew up and learned the art of agriculture, becoming one of the respectable citizens. Success such as his is the reward of perseverance and integrity. The cursory record herein set forth will, we hope, place before the eyes of future generations a tale worthy of emulation. It is regrettable that more and adequate scope is not affarded (sic) in which to properly comment on our subjects life.
James A. Grove first saw the light of day on February 24, 1864, in Fayette county, Ohio. He was the son of Jacob and Nancy (ARMSTRONG) GROVE. Jacob Grove was a native of the Old Dominion, and Nancy Grove came from the Buckeye state; the former died in 1866 and the latter in 1888. Jacob enlisted in 1862 in the ninety day service, and after that time he reenlisted and served valiantly to the end of the conflict in 1865. He was a farmer by occupation. Seven children bore his name, as follows: Susan, Abe, Henry, Agnes, Anis, Albert, James A., and Dora, who is deceased.
James A. Grove was fortunate enough to receive a common school training in his youth, after which he immediately took up farming. He was married July 22, 1888, to Jennie M. HILLIS, who was born in Johnson township, Clinton county, on December 13, 1868, the daughter of John and Savannah (JACKSON) HILLIS, natives of Rush county, Indiana. Mrs. Grove received a common and high school education. Six children were born to this union, namely: Verna, Hillis, Lloyd, Frank, Thyrsa, and Thyryl, who is deceased.
Mr. Grove owns three hundred and twenty-five acres of land in this township and it is all tillable with the exception of forty acres which is in timber and pasture. The place is fairly well fenced and adequately tiled. On this place Mr. Grove carries on high class farming.
Fraternally, Mr. Grove belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men at Scircleville, and politically, is a Republican. He devotes his time to the interests of his chosen vocation.
Pages 735 736. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2000 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2000
Connie Rushing --- Clinton County Coordinator
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.