Clinton County Biographies - H
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
HALL, James B. one of the
old and honored citizens of Clinton county, who now resides near
Mulberry, was born in Montgomery county, Ind., on the 28th of
December, 1833. His parents, Matthew and Barbara (BROWN) HALL,
were both natives of North Carolina, and were of Irish descent.
The grandparents on both sides were natives of the Emerald isle
and crossed the Atlantic to America in an early day. Matthew
Hall, who was born in 1806, emigrated westward, in 1828 located
in Montgomery county, Ind., entered 160 acres of land, and
improved it until 1839. In that year he sold out and came to
Clinton county. Here he settled on the farm now owned by Joseph
HEAVILON, and at one time there owned 400 acres of rich and
arable land. Both he and his wife are now deceased. A family of
eight children graced their union, namely, James B., Margaret,
Elizabeth, William, Jane and John, all of whom are yet living,
and Mary and Nancy now deceased.
James B. Hall, whose name heads this record, spent the days of his boyhood and youth upon his father's farm. He was a child of only ten years when he was brought by his parents to Clinton county, and here he was reared and received a very limited education. He attended the subscription schools, but never was a student in the public schools After reaching his majority he purchased 160 acres of land in White county, Ind., and upon that farm made his home for three years, devoting his time and attention to its cultivation. On the expiration of that period he returned to this county, where he and his wife own 160 acres of good land. It is well improved, being supplied with all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm. The fields are well tilled and Mr. Hall has put upon the place a large and comfortable brick residence and a good barn. The farm is neat and thrifty in appearance and indicates to the passerby the enterprise of the owner. In 1866, Mr. HALL married Miss Nancy, daughter of Isaac and Jane (MILLER) FICKLE, and by their union have been born three children: Letta J., John C. and William I. Both parents hold membership with the United Presbyterian church, and Mr. Hall belongs to Stone River post, G. A. R. During the late war he enlisted in August, 1861, as a member of company C, Tenth Indiana infantry, under Captain Miller, but after ten months was honorably discharged on account of physically disability. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the democratic party. All who know him esteem him highly for his sterling worth and strict integrity, and he well deserves representation in this volume. Pages 705-706 Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HAMILTON, Hugh R.
, prominent farmer and stock raiser of Washington township,
Clinton County, was born in Preble county, Ohio, September 8,
1824, the son of Alexander and Elizabeth HAMILTON. Alexander was
the son of Samuel HAMILTON, whose father, Alexander, a native of
the north of Ireland, served seven years in the Revolutionary war.
From the most reliable information obtainable the Hamiltons
appear to have been originally from Scotland, and it is learned
that one Archibald , HAMILTON father of the above-named
Alexander, moved from Scotland to the north of Ireland a number
of years before the dawn of the present century. His son,
Alexander emigrated to America in the time of the colonies and
died a number of years ago in Preble county, Ohio. The subject's
Grandfather, Samuel HAMILTON, was born in South CaroIina, later
removed to Kentucky, thence moved to Ohio, where his death
occurred. Alexander HAMILTON, father of Hugh R., was a native of
South Carolina, born November 8, 1796, and his wife, whose maiden
name was Elizabeth RAMSEY, was born September 19, 1793, in the
state of Vlrginia. Mrs. HAMILTON was the daughter of John and
Elizabeth (LACKEY) RAMSEY, natives of Virginia, and of Irish and
Scotch descent, respectively. John RAMSEY was the son of William
Ramsey, who was born in Ireland. Mrs. Elizabeth HAMILTON died
January 31, 1861, and her husband departed this life on the
fourth day of March 1879. They were the parents of ten children,
only one of whom, the subject of this sketch, is now living. The
names of the other members of the family are as follows: John L.,
Samuel, Jane, Eliza, James, Francis R., Mary, David R. and George
Hugh R. HAMILTON was reared on the farm and received what was termed in those days a good common-school education. He came to Clinton county, Ind., with his father in I839, and remained under the parental roof until his twenty-seventh year, at which time, on the eleventh day of December, 1845, he entered into the marriage relation with Mary B. COULTER, daughter of James and Mary (BROWN) COULTER. The father of Mrs. HAMILTON was an early settler of North Carolina. His wife was born in South Carolina, and Mrs. HAMILTON was their only child, the date of her birth being February 25, 1824. Seven children have blessed the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. HAMILTON , the following of whom are living: Martha E., wife of John J. Richards, born August 22, 1853; Hugh A., born February 21, 1856; Jessie, born November 11, 1861; Charles C., born September 15, 1863, and Barbara J., born September 1, 1867. The following are the names of those deceased: Elizabeth, born September 15, 1846, died June 12, 1871 ; and James B., born November 11, 1849, died April 26, 1850. Mr. and Mrs. HAMILTON have acquired a comfortable competence of this world's goods, owning a fine farm of 340 acres in Washington township, upon which Mr. Hamilton has, erected a fine brick residence -- one of the best farm dwellings in his part of the county. Politically, Mr. Hamilton is a republican, and as such was twice elected to the office of county commissioner, the duties of which responsible position he discharged with ability and commendable fidelity. He a member of the United Presbyterian church, in which, since 1852, he has been an elder. Mrs. Hamilton belongs to the same church, and is an earnest, active religious worker. pp. 706 - 707. Source I. Transcribed by Connie
HAMILTON, Thomas H. Rev.
, -- The paternal ancestors of the gentleman whose name
introduces this notice were Scotch, and his grandfather, John
HAMILTON, left the old country a number of years ago, immigrating
to America in colonial times, and, after the Revolutionary war,
settling in Kentucky, where his death occurred. He held a major's
commission in the American army during the war of independence
and took a courageous part in that struggle from the beginning to
the end, and distinguished himself on many a bloody battlefield.
He was the father of nine children, named as follows -- Abner,
Alexander, Ferdinand, John, Archibald, Andrew, Peggy, Betsy and
Catherine. Andrew Hamilton, father of Thomas M., was born in
Virginia, and when young was taken by his parents to Kentucky ,
where he subsequently married Mary MILLER. He was a soldier in
the war of 1812, came to Boone county, Ind., in 1832, entered
land and became a well-to-do farmer, and died November 23, 1855.
His second wife was Betsy RANDOLPH, who died in 1834, and in 1837
he was united in marriage to Jane RICHARDSON, whose death
occurred in the year 1878. Andrew HAMILTON was the father of two
children -- John R., who died in February, 1840, and Thomas M.,
the subject of this sketch, who first saw the light of day May 1,
1822, in Montgomery county, Ky.
Thomas M. HAMILTON was about ten years old when brought by his parents to Boone county, Ind., and he grew to manhood on a farm, attending, in the meantime, the subscription schools of the country, In which he obtained a fair knowledge of the branches usually taught. On arriving at manhood's estate he chose agriculttire as a pursuit, and continued the same about twelve years, purchasing his first land, consisting of seventv-five acres, in 1843. Subsequently he purchased additional land and now owns 120 acres in the township of Jackson, although for a number of years he has not been actively engaged in farming, merely giving his attention to the management of his place. From early life Mr. HAMILTON took deep interest in religious matters, and in 1852 entered the ministry of the United Brethren church, with which he has since been prominently identified. His first circuit had twenty-one appointments, which he filled once every three weeks, and it is a fact worthy of note that, the first year of his ministry, he was constantly on the go and preached over 400 sermons. Within the circuit to which he ministered as regular pastor were the following congregations: Lebanon, Ladoga, Chambersburg, Green Hill, Concord and Crawfordsville. In 1857 Mr. Hamilton was elected presiding elder, and he has held that important position for a period of twenty-seven years, having been re-elected eight different times to the general conference. He is still actively enaged in the work of the ministry, and bids fair to be of effective service for a number of years to come in the good work to which so many years of his life have been devoted. While not a politician in the sense in which that term is generally understood, Mr. Hamilton has ever manifested a deep interest in public affairs and has always maintained that politics should be made a careful study by every true American citizen. He is a republican and as such was elected a member of the state senate in 1868, serving four years, and in 1880 was elected to represent Boone county in the lower house of the general assembly.
Mr. HAMILTON was married, December 8, I840, to Prudence LARKIN, daughter of Jonathan and Keziah (ANTRIM) LARKIN, natives of New Jersey and of Irish descent. The family of Mrs. HAMILTON can be traced back many generations in the old country to Lord ANTRIM, one of the old nobility of the Emerald isle. Her grandfather, John LARKIN, came to America a number of years ago and reared a family, among whom was Jonathan, father of Mrs. Hamilton. He died in 1830 and his wife in 1856. The following are the names of their children: William, Elisha, Sarah, Mariah, Joseph, John and Prudence, the last named being the only family living at this time. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. HAMILTON the following children have been born: John R., born August 9, 1841, is a lawyer of Norton, Kansas; Maria PP., born November 25, 1843, married Samuel West and died in the year 1883; George W., born March 25, 1847, died August 22,1849; Matilda, born August 24, 1849, died May 28, 1876; Larkin P., born December 10, 1852 ; Andrew A., born September 8, 1857; Abraham L., born September 29, 1860; Rosella M., born January 24,1868. John R. HAMILTON, the oldest son, served in the late war in company D, Seventeenth Indiana infantry, and took part in a number of battles, including Greenbriar, Howes Gap, Chickamauga, and was discharged in June, 1864. He is now a prominent lawyer of Norton, Kan. pp. 707 - 708. Source I Transcribed by Connie.
HANE, Cyrus M.
The hand of the journalist is truly mighty. No matter how big or how little he may be, his well-aimed remarks in the town sheet carry double weight, and therefore his mission and responsibility are great. He must be judicious, clever, fair, and ever promoting the interests of the people whom he serves. The Kirklin Journal is a newspaper devoted to the welfare of the Clinton county pople (sic), and carries the name of being a clean, interesting. and modern publication. This has been largely due to the untiring efforts of the publisher, whose name heads this review, and who, by his energetic efforts toward the betterment of the community, has won the friendship and support of the county as a whole.
Cyrus M. HANE was born June 8, 1842, in Harrison county, 0. His father was a native of Maryland, and served in the Civil War in the First Virginia Infantry of the Union army.
Cyrus Hane received a common school education which was interrupted in 1861, when was nineteen years old, by the outbreak of the war. Mr. Hane enlisted in Company D, Second Virginia Infantry, under Captain Gibson. This regiment was afterward changed by the war department to the Fifth West Virginia Cavalry. He served the Union cause valiantly for his full time and then was honorably discharged. On February 14, 1865, he re-enlisted in Company G. Second United States Veteran Volunteers, Hancocks corps, and served until Feb. 14, 1866. Mr. Hane participated in the second battle of Bull Run and several other engagements.
In 1865 Mr. HANE was married in Mary M. CHAPMAN, who died in 1882. On October 21, 1900, he again married to Emma STOTTS, an Indiana woman. He has one child, Daisy E., by his first wife, and she now resides in Knox, Ind.
Mr. Hane moved to the Hoosier state from Ohio, and first settled in the town of Mitchell, at which place he took charge of the Mitchell Commercial. Later he went to Elwood, Ind., and established the Elwood Leader, and then to Knox, Stark county, Ind., where he assumed charge of the Stark County Republican. After four years there, he again traveled to Vernon, Ind.. and had control of the Vernon Journal. He purchased the Kirklin Journal in November, 1902, and for ten years has managed it with great success. A year ago he became associated with E. T. JONES, and they formed a working partnership which now exists.
Mr. Hanes belongs to the Free and Accepted Masons, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and Grand Army of the Republic. He is a member of the Presbyterian church at Kirklin and in politics is a Progressive.
E. P. JONES, partner of Mr. Hane was born March 6, 1872 in Jennings county, Indiana, the son of Thomas and Lydia S. (ALLEY) JONES. Thomas C. JONES was a Welshman, having been born in South Wales, England in February, 1819. He moved to the United when but a boy and first settled in Baltimore, Md. Later he moved Ohio, at which place he was married. He came to Indiana in 1854, and there died in the month of July, 1893. Lydia S. JONES, the mother, was born May, 1831, in Ohio, and she died October 18, 1887. The father was a wholesale furniture dealer by trade and he followed this all his life. In the spring of 1861, he joined the ranks of One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company A, and served until 1865 as a first lieutenant; he was then honorably discharged. Six children came to his family, four of whom are living. These four are: Margaret, Maud, and E. P.
After receiving a common school education, E. P. Jones made his start in a pharmacy college. He took a position with a drug company in Colorado, and afterward, for a space of six years, was connected with Rocky Mountain Telephone company. He has been a capable printer all of his life, and worked at his trade in North Vernon, Ind., just before coming to Kirklin to go into business with Mr. Hane.
Fraternally, Mr. Jones belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men, the Knights of Pythias, and the Free and Accepted Masons. He is a member of the Presbyterian church and attaches himself to the Democratic party. Pages 597 598. Source II Transcribed by Connie.
HARBAUGH, George C.
GEORGE C. HARBAUGH, the gentlemanly postmaster at Colfax, Clinton county, Ind., and ex-soldier, was born in Covington, Miami county, Ohio, November 24, 1839, and is a son of Washington G. and Sarah (FREEMAN) HARBAUGH, who are natives respectively of Maryland and Ohio, and were married in Miami county, Ohio, where the father followed his trade of harness maker until 1847, when he moved to Harrisburg, Ohio, where he resided until 1851, and then lived in Dayton, Ohio, until 1854, when he came to Indiana. and located at Frankfort, where he enlisted in the Fortieth Indiana volunteer infantry, and where he died, while at home on a furlough, in February, 1863. He was the father of two children, George C. and Mary E., the latter of whom is deceased. The mother of George C. died when the latter was but four years of age, and he was reared by a stepmother, who had borne the maiden name of Rachael LANCASTER, whom his father married in Harrisburg, Ohio. In 1860, our subject went to Livingston county, Ill., and was there engaged in farm work until April, 1861, when he enlisted in company D, Twentieth Illinois infantry, for three years or during the war, served four years, three months and twenty-seven days in the same company and regiment, took part in twenty-seven general engagements, was never wounded, but was once taken prisoner and held at Andersonville and Florence, S. C., nine months; he was discharged July 16, 1855, at Chicago,. Ill. whence he returned to Frankfort, Ind., and engaged in harness making until 1874, when he moved to Colfax and reentered the same business, which he followed five years; then was employed in a sawmill six years, and then reengaged in the harness trade, which he has since successfully conducted. The marriage of Mr. HARBAUGH took place in Clinton county, Ind., Nov. 23, l865, to Miss Annie BENJAMIN, who was born in New Jersey in February, 1842, a daughter of John and Eliza BENJAMIN, and to this union have been born nine children, viz: Fannie B., wife of George MUSGROVE, of Clinton county; Maggie, married to Elias WAGNER, clerk in a general store; Ida May, deceased; W. B., John W., George C., Mary, Winfield H. and Ada, deceased. In religion, Mr. and Mrs. Harbaugh are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. Harbaugh is a democrat, and was postmaster at Frankfort in 1867 and 1868, and has been justice of the peace in Colfax ten years and town clerk five years. December 1, 1893, he was commissioned postmaster of Colfax, and has since filled the office to the entire satisfaction of the public. He is an Odd Fellow, and a member of the G. A. R., and he and family stand very high in the esteem of the people of Colfax. Page 702
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HARDING, John A.
There are certain trades that possess in indefinable charm, and among them is that of blacksmithing. The smithy's shop in the small town is a place where children congregate and the politics of the day are discussed by their elders. The smithy is a man of prominence and his invariable good nature makes him a friend to all. This quality has been immortalized in poetry and song, and ever, especially to the younger generation, the forge and anvil and the "mighty man" above them will linger long in their memories. Clinton county has her blacksmiths, among them John A. HARDING, and about him we tell in this review.
John HARDING was born December 31, 1855, in Kirklin county, Indiana. He was the son of Samuel and Delilah (THOMPSON) HARDING, natives of Ohio. Samuel HARDING was born in Union county, Indiana. August 25, 1833, and in 1846 moved to Clinton county. He gained a common school education and after leaving the schoolroom he took up the trade of blacksmithing in Kirklin, an occupation he followed nearly all of his life, shoeing horses until after he was seventy-five years of age. Twelve children made up his family. They were: John, Robert (dec.), Orlando C., Kate R., Lily L. (dec.), 0. T. (dec.), Minnie (dec.), Frank S. and Pearl: remainder not named, having died in infancy.
John HARDING attended the public schools in Kirklin during his boyhood days, and spent his time otherwise learning the trade he was to follow from his father.
Mr. HARDING was married September 29, 1882, to Emma McKAY, the daughter of James and Margaret (MART) McKAY, and born in Clinton county, Ohio, December 9, 1860. Her father died when she was but a baby and the mother is cared for part of the time now in John HARDING's home in Kirklin. Mrs. HARDING received a common school education, and is the mother of three children: John G., born June, 1883; Fanny L., married to George KUTZ, a Kirklin druggist, and Anna L.
John HARDING has always followed the blacksmithing trade. He began with just a small shop and now owns a large and completely equipped place, also a two-story brick factory where he has the latest machinery installed for the making of buggies, farm wagons and implements of use to the farmer. He also paints buggies and does much rubber tiring. Mr. HARDING has, in the course of his studies in his chosen trade, invented a patent storm top for buggies and automobiles. He has obtained a patent on his contrivance and sells a number to Clinton county people.
Mr. HARDING belongs to the Improved Order of Red Men at Kirklin, and also is affiliated with the Masonic order. He is a loyal member of the Presbyterian church and is one of their strongest supporters. Politically, he believes in the principles of the Democratic party. Pages 552 553. Photo of Mr. and Mrs. Harding included.
Source II Transcribed by Connie.
Adison Harper, farmer and stock-raiser, Onarga, was born May 16, 1807. The early part of his life, up to the age of twenty-eight years, was spent in the hill country of old Virginia, farming and attending school. He then came to Clinton County, Indiana, and there remained about twenty years, engaged in farming. While there, December 6, 1838, he married Miss Mary Sherrard, a native of Butler County, Ohio, born March 19, 1817. In 1852 he came to Iroquois County, Illinois; entered land in Sec. 13, T. 26, R. 14, in what is now Onarga township, and permanently located and actively engaged in farming and stock-raising. At the time he settled where he now lives he was far separated from markets and mills, no railroads being then built in this part of the state; neither were here then any wagon roads, but winding trails over the highest ridges, fording rivers at the safest places. He has lived here to see this county grow up to its present greatness. He owns 255 acres of good land, watered by flowing artesian wells, all earned by his own industry and close attention to business. He has seven children: Martha J., Amanda, Ginevra A., William A. and Mary C., living; Andrew, who died in the service of his country at Holly Springs; and Samuel, who died at St. Louis, Missouri. Samuel’s remains were brought home and interred in Onarga cemetery. They were both members of Co. D, 113th Ill. Vol. Inf.
Source History of Iroquois County, H. W. Beckwith, H. H. Hill and Company, Publishers, 1880 Page 608 Transcribed by Lena.
The name of Frank Harshman, well-known citizen of Madison township, Clinton county, stands, as did that of his esteemed father before him, for progressive ideas in reference, both to agricultural pursuits and public affairs, and we are glad to give his personal record and that of his family in these pages, for such people are the class that advance civilization and make this world, none too elysian-like at best, a falrly fit place in which to live.
Mr. Harshman was born on the farm where he now lives, on June 15, 1872. He is a son of Henry C. and Kate (SHOCKEY) HARSHMAN, an old pioneer couple of this locality. Henry C. Harshman was a son of Henry and Molly (FOGEL) HARSHMAN. Henry Harshman was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, December 22, 1797. From there his parents moved to Greene county, Ohio, when he was a child and there he was reared and married. Later in life he removed to Clinton county, Indiana, locating in the woods in Madison township, and here he developed a home and died here on August 20, 1843, and is buried in John Seager's cemetery. His wife was born in MaryIand. February 8, 1800. She was quite young when her parents removed from the old Oriole state to Greene county, Ohio. She died in Clinton county, Indiana, at the home of Moses Harshman in May, 1876, and is buried in Jefferson cemetery. The grandfather of Henry, Peter Harshman, was born in Germany, from which county he came to America when a young man in the Old Colonial days, and he served seven years in the patriot army in the Revolutionary War. He afterward settled in Rockingham county, Virginia, where he was married, and after a few years removed to Greene county, Ohio, where he died in the fall of 1827 at the age of eighty-two years. H is wife was an English woman and lived in Greene county, Ohio.
Mr. Harshmans father and all his sons were Democrats except Moses. When the family came to this country, deer, bear and other wild animals were in abundance. The elder Harshman at one time killed three bears as fast as he could load his gun. Henry C. Harshman, father of the immediate subject of this sketch, was born February 3, 1841, the same year in which President McKinley was born. He devoted his life to farming, acquiring valuable farming property through his thrift, and his death occurred here in Madison township, Clinton county, on September 25, 1902. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was a Democrat. His wife, Kate SHOCKEY, died July 28, 1900, at the age of sixty-two years. To them nine children were born, seven of whom are still living, namely: Alonzo E., Bertha, Grice, Lettie Mercer, Frank, subject of this sketch; Richard, Lawrence, Albert, Harry, and Mrs. Kate AYRES.
Frank Harshman was reared on the old home place and he received a common school education. He was married June 15, 1898, to Laura J. WESNER, who was born in Wayne county, Indiana. She is a daughter of Rev. J. WESNER, a well-known minister of the gospel in Darke county, Ohio. He was born in Davies county, Indiana. He married Lucinda KLINGENSMITH, who was born in Marion county, Indiana. To them two children were born, Mrs. Laura Harshman and Neva.
Mr. Harshman moved to the old farm in 1912. His place consists of one hundred acres of good and well improved land. He has a good home and substantial outbuildings.
To Mr. and Mrs. Harshman three children have been born, Henry Harold, born August 11, 1899; Freda M., born March 20, 1903, and Martin Luther, born August 19, 1913. The daughter is musically inclined and is being educated in music.
Mr. Harshman is a member of the Lutheran church, and to the Knights of Pythias. Pages 789 790 Source II Transcribed by Connie
HEALEY, Spencer E.
Born: 8 Jun 1857 in Clinton Co., IN;
Married Nancy E. DUSKEY (died 4 Jan 1929) on 10 Jan 1878 in Clinton Co., IN;
Died 28 Jun 1940 in Leachville, AR;
Parents: Michael HEALEY & Rebecca PRICE;
Siblings: Niher (twin) and Christena "Peggy" (born 1858); Niher died in infancy, Christena died without issue in early adulthood following marriage to Edward WRIGHT;
Children: 9 sons and 1 daughter--seven lived to adulthood (Zoldora "Zode", Dolzora "Doll", Clifton Roscoe "Town", Emmett Earl, Everett Arnold, Lee, and Claude), a set of twins and a baby girl died in infancy;
Other information: Irish-born father moved to Clinton Co., IN and purchased 103 acres on 21 May 1856; on 24 Mar 1860 Michael and Rebecca Healy deeded the property to their son in "consideration of the natural love and affection which (his parents) bear to their son..."; both parents died between 1868-70; moved to AR circa 1890; surname frequently spelled HALEY and HEALY;
Sources: marriage & death certs., deed, census records, Tommie Jean Worlow (cousin), and research.
Submitter: J. Healey
HEATON, Robert V.
The world has realized more than ever during the past few years that the real source of progress is the farmer and his fields. Wall street and the stock markets, human subsistence, trades and vocations, education, and even our pleasures, depend solely on the agriculturist, and in turn the mechanical world has supplied him with contrivances for the economy of labor and increased production, so that the ever growing demands of the hungry millions may be satisfied. The farmer has responded nobly to this situation and has modernized himself to every possible extent, and to the degree that the present type cannot be called a "rube," but a highly cultivated and educated citizen, with knowledge and habits the same as his city brother. Such a man is Mr. Heaton, whom we write of in this sketch. He is a worthy and representative type.
Mr. Heaton was born February 28, 1854, in Michigan township, Clinton county, Indiana, and was the son of Alfred and Levici (JULIAN) HEATON. Alfred Heaton was a native of the Hoosier state and he died in 1902. The mother was also born in Indiana. Both parents had a common school education, and the father followed farming all of his life, and was a Democrat. Six children were born to the union, namely: one infant, Alice, Hester A., and Vesper, all deceased, and James and Robert, now living. Robert, our subject, received his elementary education in Michigan township.
Mr. Heaton was married April 5, 1876, to Elizabeth BEEABOUT, who was born April 22, 1853, in Fayette county, Indiana, and was the daughter of Peter and Ann (Parker) BEEABOUT. Six children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Claudius; Eva; Angie married Orville COY, who died June 7, 1912, leaving her with one child, Robert, both now living with our subject; Ethel (deceased), Erchel and Glenn (deceased).
Mr. Heaton has been a farmer all of his life in this county. He has now retired from active work, however, but still manages his eighty acres of fertile and well improved land. Besides general farming, he raises Jersey and a mixed breed of cows, Poland China hogs, and Plymouth Rock chickens.
Religiously, Mr. Heaton is a member of God's church, and in politics is a Prohibitionist. Pages 551 552 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
HEAVILON, Joseph a representative citizen of Washington township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Wisconsin when that state was a territory, on the twenty-ninth day of May, 1840, and is the son of Taylor and Sallie (POTTER) HEAVILON, Taylor Heavilon came to Clinton county, Ind., in the fall of 1829, in company with his brother-in-law, Samuel YOUNG, and was joined the following fall by his parents, from Butler county, Ohio, who settled on a farm now owned by the subject of this sketch. His first purchase of land consisted of 125 acres, and later in partnership with his brother, entered a tract of 320 acres about a mile and a half southeast of the present site of Jefferson village, all of which subsequently came to his possession. By occupation Taylor HEAVILON was a carpenter, and in 1832 he worked at his trade in Chicago, in which city he erected the first Catholic church. In the fall of 1836 he went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he worked at his trade one year, and June 17, 1837, he was united in marriage to Sallie POTTER, daughter of Abel and Cynthia (LATHROP) POTTER, natives of Rutland county. Vt. Mrs. Heavilon was born May 9, 1819, and when eight years of age was taken by her parents to Little Falls, N. Y., thence to Essex county, in the same state, where she lived until her fourteenth year. After residing at several other points, she went to Milwaukee, where her marriage occurred, as above stated. During the three years following his marriage. Taylor Heavilon followed his trade in Milwaukee and then laid claim to a tract of government land in Washington county. Wis., before that part of the state was open for settlement. He became the possessor of 640 acres, upon which he lived for some time, being among the early settlers there, his nearest neighbor for the first six months living at a distance of four miles away. He was elected recorder at the first election held in Washington county, and held the office as long as he remained in Wisconsin. Disposing of his interests there, he returned to Clinton county, Ind and was for some years engaged in general merchandising in the village of Jefferson, which business he conducted in connection with a hotel, both ventures proving financially successful. In the meantime he improved the land which he had purchased previous to going west, and in 1859 moved to the place where the widow now resides. Taylor Heavilon was born July 17, 1808, in Monmouth county, N. J., and died in Clinton county, Ind., December 25, 1874. He was a very successful business man, and left a large estate. The following of their twelve children are living: Lydia, wife of Harmon AUGHE; Joseph, subject of this sketch; Mrs. Charlotte KYGER, Abel, Franklin and Orin. The following are the names of those deceased: Phebe A., Ellen, Sophronia, Fanny, Sallie and William,As stated at the beginning, Joseph Heavilon is one of the representative men of Clinton county and ranks among the most successful farmers and stock-raisers in the township of Washington. When five years old, he came to Clinton county with his parents, in the common schools of which county he received his primary education and later was graduated from Bryant & Stratton's Commercial college at Indianapolis. The training thus received was supplemented by a scientific course at the Battle Ground institute, after which he was engaged in teaching for a period of eight years. working on the farm in the meantime. For some time he carried on the general mercantile business in the village of Jefferson, but for a number of years has devoted his attention exclusively to farming and stock raising, being now one of the most successful men in those lines in the county. He has a farm of 300 acres, well improved, and is largely engaged in raising fine cattle, horses and sheep, and also breeds and deals in fine Shetland ponies. Mr. Heavilon is also engaged in shaving notes, and is one among the largest stockholders of the First National bank of Frankfort, Ind. Mr. Heavilon was elected secretary of the Clinton county Fair association in 1880, and has served in that capacity ever since. Politically, he is a republican, and as such has been an active worker on behalf of his party in a number of local and general campaigns. On the twenty-third day of February, 1865, Mr. HEAVILON and Virginia P. CARTER were united in the bonds of wedlock, a union severed by the death of Mrs. Heavilon, after she had borne three children, namely: Sallie, born February 5, 1866; Jesse, born September 22, 1871; and Jennie, whose birth occurred October 22, 1873. For his second wife, Mr. Heavilon, on the fourteenth of March, 1876, married Jessie A. CARTER, a sister of his first wife. Mrs. Heavilon was born in Clinton county, Ind., November 8, 1856, and is a daughter of Richard J. and Ellen (BYERS) CARTER. The following children have been born of this marriage: Richard M., student at Purdue university,. born December 28, 1876; Harry A., March 2, 1878; Joseph, December 22, 1880; Franklin C., October 10, 1883; Julia E., November 9, 1885; Mary J., June 13, 1887; Daisy, August 13, 1890; Fanny G., September 30, 1892; and Potter, September 30, 1894. Pages 708-710 Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
, A highly respected and public-spirited citizen of Washington
township, Clinton county is Joseph HEAVILON, a man who has lived
a life of industry and has dealt honestly with his fellow men, so
that he is every way deserving of the esteem which is gladly
accorded him by his wide acquaintance. He has lived to see
the community develop from a wild state into one of the foremost
farming localities in the Hoosier state, and he has played well
his part in the transformation.
Mr. Heavilon hails from the Badger state, having been born at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1840, a son of Taylor HEAVILON, who was born in 1808, in Monmouth county, New Jersey. The mother of our subject was Sally POTTER, a native of Rutland, Vermont. The father of our subject was a carpenter and contractor. He came to Chicago in 1833, about the time of the treaty with Chief Black Hawk. He moved to Milwaukee in 1845. He had been in Indiana as early as 1828. The father of our subject died at the age of sixty-six years, in 1874. The mother survived until 1907, reaching the advanced age of eighty-six years. Six children were born to them, namely: Lydia, Joseph, Charlotte, Kygar, Abel and Franklin.
The father of our subject was a Universalist in religion, and the mother belonged to the Episcopal church.
Joseph HEAVILON received a common school education. In 1865, he married Virginia P. CASTER, a daughter of Richard Caster, of Virginia. The union of our subject and wife resulted in the birth of three children, namely: Mrs. Sally GROVES, Jesse who lives in this county; and Mrs. Virginia P. KNAPP, wife of George B. M. KNAPP, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work.
Mr. HEAVILON's first wife died in 1873 and in 1875 he married Jessie CASTER, a sister of his first wife, and to this union three children were born, namely: R. M. is a banker of Frankfort: Harry, Joseph, Jr., Mary, Daisy, Fanny, Gertrude, Harold and Hobert. These children were given good educations, some attending Purdue University at Lafayette, Indiana.
Our subject and sons own one thousand acres of fine land and they carry on general farming and stock raising on an extensive scale. They have a pleasant home and are popular in the township. Pages 769 770. Transcribed by Connie. Source II
HEAVILON, Oran P.
, The township of Warren, in the county of Clinton, has long been
noted for its fine farms and excellent class of citizens, and a
prominent representative of the latter is found in the person of
Oran P. HEAVILON, who his been content to spend his life in his
native county, for he has been a beleiver (sic) in its
productiveness, its fortunate location and in its superiority to
most counties in the middle West.
Mr. HEAVILON was born September 25, 1854, in Washington township, Clinton county. He is a son of Tavlor and Sally (POTTER) HEAVILON. The faher was born in Butler county, Ohio, where he spent his early years, and received his education in the district schools. While yet a young man he removed to Clinton county, where he was married and established the future home of the family. He was a carpenter by trade, which he followed successfully, also engaged in farming. His death occurred on December 25, 1872. His family was large, consisting of twelve children, six of whom are still living: Lydia, Joseph, Charlotte, Abe, Frank and Oran P., of this sketch.
Oran P. HEAVILON grew to manhood on the home place in Washington township, and received his education in the rural schools there. On October 19, I882, he married Ida KOONTZ, who was born in Clinton county March 25, 1863. She was a daughter of George and Catherine (McNETT) KOONTZ. The father was born in Maryland and the mother was a native of Ohio. They are both now deceased. Mrs. HEAVILON grew to womanhood in her native community and received a common schol (sic) education. She was called to eternal rest on September 12, 1911. She was a devout member of the United Brethren church in Washington township, but after removing to Warren township she united with the Presbyterian church, and was active in the support of the same and in its work up to her death. She was a kind neighbor, mother and wife, beloved by her many friends for her numerous splendid characteristics.
Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. HEAVILON: Raymond, April 30, 1884, died in October of that year: Mabel, June 25, 1886: Frank, June 20, 1894.
Mr. HEAVILON has always engaged in farming, first in Washington township, from which he removed to his present home in Warren township in 1905. Here he owns one hundred and twenty acres of excellent land, all tillable but five acre, his place being known as Sugar Grove Farm. He has a good set of buildings, fencing and tiling. There is a beautiful grove in front of his home. He carries on general farming and raises Jersey cows, Duroc hogs and general purpose horses.
Politically, Mr. Heavilon is a Republican, but while an intelligent advocate of all kinds of public improvements, he is not a public man in any sense of the word, remaining at home with his family and looking after his farm. Pages 848 849. Transcribed by Connie. Source II
HEDGCOCK, James A.
JAMES A. HEDGCOCK, president of The J. E. Scroggy Manufacturing company of Frankfort, Ind., and a member of the firm of Ross & Hedgcock of the same city was born in Dresden, Ohio, April 6, 1853, and is the son of John S. Hedgcock, of whom mention has been made above. James A. received a fair education in the common schools and early learned the shoemakers' trade of his father. At the age of twenty, James A. started out in life for himself, going to Danville, Ill., where for a year he carried on a retail trade in making and selling boots and shoes; thence he returned to Indiana and became a member of the dry-goods firm of Smith & Hedgcock, at Michigan-town; one year later the firm came to Frankfort, where they did a leading business until late in the year 1880, when Mr. Hedgcock withdrew, in order to enter upon the duties of county recorder, to which position he had been elected in the fall of the same year, by the democratic party. So satisfactorily did he perform the duties of this office that he was reelected for another term of four years, in 1884. He then formed a partnership with John A. Ross in the general contracting business, under the firm name of Ross & Hedgcock, and a grand success was achieved. (Further mention of this extensive firm will be found under the biography of John A. Ross, on another page of this volume.) The details of Mr. Hedgcock's entering into partnership with Mr. Scroggy; and the formation of the J. E. Scroggy Manufacturing company, will also be found on another page. It may be here remarked, that Mr. Hedgcock is a shrewd business man, and while a close calculator, is a man of very liberal views and generous disposition as of a markedly progressive spirit, as has been evidenced in all of the acts of his life. The marriage of Mr. Hedgcock was most happily consummated on the sixth of April, 1881, with Miss Lena A. LYDICK, who bore two children: Archie and Mary. Mrs. Lena A. Hedgcock is the daughter of George Lydick, a gallant soldier, who expired February 3, 1863, at Murfreesboro, Tenn., from sickness caused by exposure while serving as first lieutenant of company I, Fourth Indiana cavalry. Mr. and Mrs. Hedgcock are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, while Mr. Hedgcock holds membership and affiliates with a number of brotherhoods; chief among all is that of the Masonic order, in which he ranks as past eminent commander of Frankfort commandery, No. 29, knights Templar; a member of Indiana consistory, S. P. R. S., in which organization he has attained to the thirty-second degree, beyond which very few members of the A. A., Scottish rite, can hope to advance. He is also a noble of the mystic shrine in Murah temple, Indianapolis, Ind., and is a member of the I. O. R. M., the K. of P., and Sons of Veterans. Mr. Hedgcock has, likewise, been officially connected with the First National bank, of Frankfort, Ind., for the past ten years, and holds a social position excelled by few in his thriving city, than whom no one has a greater interest in its prosperity and advancement. Pages 710-713
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HEDGCOCK, John S., a retired citizen of Frankfort, Ind., was born in Ashford, Kent county, England, January 24, 1826, and is a son of Vane and Marie (WEST) HEDGCOCK, a family of some note in the old country. The youthful days of John S. were variously pursued until he came to America in 1849 Here he first located in Syracuse, N. Y., but shortly afterward moved to Dresden, Ohio, where he prosperously entered the boot and shoe business, and May 30, 1852, married Miss Nancy ROSS, daughter of James and Nancy ROSS. Two years later, 1854, he came to Indiana and located at Michigantown, Clinton county, where he followed the retail shoe business until the fall of 1864, when he patriotically enlisted in the defense of his adopted country in company G, Fifty-first Indiana volunteer infantry, and served until the close of the war. Returning to Michigantown he resumed his business, but finally retired to Frankfort, where he is living in peace and comfort. Unto him and his admirable wife were born the following children, all of whom, that are living, being an honor to his advanced years: James A., John W. Charles V., Oliver P., Lula Marie, Jennie P, and Nellie (the last named deceased.) Having had the misfortune of losing his first help-meet. Nancy, February 7, 1879, Mr. Hedgcock married, August 23, 1880, Miss Elizabeth HUBBARD, who came from Huntington, England, about one year before her marriage. Mrs. HEDGCOCK is a consistent member of the Episcopal church, while her husband is a devout Methodist. But at the same time, it may be mentioned that Mr. Hedgecock is a Free-mason as well as a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. p. 710. Source I Transcribed by Connie.
HEDGCOCK, John W.
general merchant of Michigantown, Clinton county, and senior
member of the firm of J. W. Hedgcock & Co., was born February
11, 1856 in Clinton county, Ind., and from his youth has been
associated with mercantile affairs He is of English descent, his
father, John S., having been born in Ashford, Kent, Eng.. but
married in Ohio, and in 1834 having become a resident of Clinton
county. To him and his wife, Nancy ROSS, have been born the
following children: James A., John W., Charles V., Oliver F.,
Lula, Nellie, an infant deceased, and Jennie. John W. Hedgcock
began his business life with no capital but energy and ambition,
but he has succeeded in accumulating many hundred dollars' worth
of property, including a handsome residence, and a large and well
selected stock of general merchandise. He first married Luella
BARNES, daughter of John A. and Rachael (ROBINSON) BARNES, the
former one of the most noted physicians of Clinton county. But he
had the misfortune to lose his wife, May 17, 1881, and September
2, 1882, Mr. Hedgcock married Miss Nuna WHITEMAN, daughter of
Joseph and Margaret (HINEMAN) WHITEMAN, and this union has been
made happy by the birth of three children: Gladys, Ralph S. and
Ruth. In politics. Mr. Hedgcock is a stanch democrat, but has
declined every offer of nomination for office. He and wife are
prominent as members of the Methodist church, of which he was
formerly a steward for a number of years, and is now a trustee;
he is also superintendent of the Sabbath-school. Fraternally, he
is a member of Herman lodge, No. 184, F. & A. M., of which he
was worshipful master four years, and also several times its
representative in the grand lodge. He is a member of Dakota
tribe, No. 42, I. 0. R. M.. and in this he has passed all the
chairs, except the highest; likewise a member of Rubicon lodge,
No. 340, K. of P., in which he has passed all the chairs and
which he has also represented in the grand lodge. He has been
identified with the interests of Michigantown since his youth,
and is a self-made man in the full sense of the term as usually
applied to business men. Socially the standing of himself and
family is a most enviable one. Although still a young man, Mr.
Hedgcock has met with unusual progress, both in his career as a
member of fraternal associations, as well as his social relations
generally. Page 713
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HIATT, Amos Lincoln
AMOS LINCOLN HIATT, one of the prominent citizens and the principal of the high school of Kirklin, was born near Frankfort on the fifteenth of September, 1861, and comes of sturdy French and Scotch ancestry. His great-grand father was Tennyson Hiatt, a farmer, who removed to Ohio from North Carolina with his family and died when less than forty years of age. The grandfather, Christopher Hiatt, was the youngest of the family and was born March 27, 1805, in Grayson county, Va. He was married April 1, 1824, to Martha STANLEY, whose birth occurred on the tenth of March, 1803, and they became the parents of seven children, namely: Amos, who was born June 8, 1825; Susan, born July 1, 1826; Lydia, born October 15, 1828; Emily, born November 18, 1830; Samuel, born October 10, 1832; Priscilla, born March 7, 1836; and Christopher T., born November 18, 1838. The father of this family was a man of five feet and eleven inches in height, weighing 170 pounds. He was active; strong and agile, reached the age of seventy years, and was a man of considerable learning, acquired by home reading. His wife passed away at the age of sixty-three. Both were Friends in religious views Christopher T. Hiatt was born in Henry county, Ind., and eighteen when he removed to Center township, Clinton county, settled near Frankfort. His educational, privileges were quite limited, as during his early childhood, he suffered much with his eyes, and therefore could not attend school, but in later years, by reading, experience and observation, has become well informed, and seeing the advantages of a good education, he has provided his children with privileges adapted to that end. On the sixth of November, he Wedded Martha Pyatt, who was born February 20, 1842, and is the daughter of Andrew J. PYATT, but whose mother died when she was quite a small child. To Mr. and Mrs. Hiatt have been born five children: Amos L.; George A., who married Mary MOON; Edwin G.; Lydia J.; and Nellie F., who died at the age of five years. In the usual manner of farmer lads the subject of our sketch spent the days of his boyhood and youth, and to his father gave the benefit of his services until he had attained his majority; He worked at corn husking, hay making, harvesting and other farm pursuits, and spent about three months of each year attending school. When eighteen he spent ninety-one days in school and then received a license to teach. During the winter seasons he would follow this profession, and in the summer months would aid in the work of the farm. On the first of June, 1883, he entered the United States Military academy at West Point, having passed a competitive examination and been appointed by Congressman G. S. Orth. Here he remained until January, 1884, when he returned home and resumed his work at farming and teaching. On the fourteenth of September of the same year, Mr. Hiatt wedded Zorodah C. Lucas, who was born April 22, 1862, and is a daughter of William and Mary (BLACK) LUCAS. They had three children: Cassius E., born July 10, 1885; Ormsby T., who was born March 1, 1887 and Nellie O., who was born August 18, 1889, and died March 6, 1892. Mr. Hiatt came to Kirklin as teacher in the grammar department but for the last two years has been principal of the schools of this place. He is an able educator and his excellent success has won him a high reputation. His wife is a member of the United Brethren church. In politics is an active republican, and has served as delegate to both the Congressional and county conventions, but has never sought office for himself. Fraternally he is a member of Kirklin lodge, No. 443, F. & A. M. Page 714
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HILL, James B
The foundation of prosperity in Indiana is agriculture and the faithful husbandman can truly be called a pillar of the state, though in an inconspicuous way. Such was James B. Hill, the memory of whose labors remains, though he has passed from this life.
Mr. Hill was born in Hamilton, O., August, 1828. When he was but a lad of eight years his parents brought him to Tippecanoe county and settled on a farm where they remained during the life-time of the parents. The tribulations endured by the early pioneers were not unknown to the
Hill family but they weathered the hardships in grand style and succeeded.
Mr. HILL was married to Mrs. Margaret (SOUTHARD) ROSS, a widow, on February 12, 1880. She was the daughter of Aaron H. and Nancy (LEMON) SOUTHARD. Her father was a native of New Jersey, and came to Butler county, Ohio, when but a baby. Afterward he moved to Jefferson, Ind., where he was a merchant, then to Frankfort. He has the distinction of being one of the earliest settlers in the county following his trade as a merchant all the time. At one time it was estimated that he owned a large part of the east side of Frankfort. He had six children, four of whom are still living. No children were born to and Mr. and Mrs. James HILL, but she has two children by her first husband, John F. ROSS, they being Charles W. and John F. ROSS.
Mr. SOUTHARD was a merchant in Frankfort, all his life. He had no ambitions to shine in the limelight of publicity by entering political life, but he supported the Democratic party very materially. He attended the Presbyterian church.
James B. HILL was a farmer most of his life, following that vocation in Tippecanoe county until he moved to Frankfort about fifteen fears ago. The remainder of his life he spent retired. Fraternally, he was a member of the Masonic Order, and in religion was a Presbyterian. Pages 655 656 Source II Transcribed by Connie
HILL, Jesse , Rev.
, Few men of central Indiana are as widely and favorably
known to both young and old as the subject of this sketch, whose
venerable farm for a number of years past has been a familiar
figure on the streets of Frankfort. Rev. Jesse Hill was
born in Randolph county. S. C., September 8, 1819, the son of
Thomas and Sarah (WRIGHT) HILL, both natives of the state named
The year that Mr. Hill first saw the light of day witnessed the
emigration of his parents to Putnam county, Ind, where the father
died a few years after locating his family in their new home, in
what was then a comparatively unsettled country.
The mother. a most excellent lady of much more than ordinary
intellectuality, reared the seven dependent children to maturity,
although some years after her husband's death she became the wife
of Judge John SIGLEY, of Greencastle. She departed this life in
the year 1844, honored and lamented by all who knew her.
Thomas Hill was a successful man for that day, and a most
exemplary member of the old Christian church, of which his wife
was also a communicant. The following are the names of the
children of Thomas and Sarah Hill; Elizabeth, Rebecca,
Martha, Mary, Celia, Gillie and Jesse, the last named being the
youngest member of the family, and all but him have long since
been called from the scenes of their earthly life. The early
years of Jesse Hill were spent in Putnam county, and while still
quite young, owing to the death of his father, he was obliged to
contribute of his small earnings, as a common laborer, to the
support of his sisters and widowed mother. From his youth
he manifested a profound interest in religion, and early became
identified with the Methodist church, the local ministry of which
he entered before his twenty-first year, and shortly there-after
engaged in the active work of the itinerancy in the Northwestern
conference. His first regular work as an itinerant was on
the old North Salem circuit, which he served one year, and from
there he was transferred to the Vigo circuit, over which he
exercised pastoral con-trol for the same length of time.
Additional to the above, Mr. Hill. during the course of his long
and useful ministry, extending over a period of fifty years, had
charge of the following circuits: Rock Creek,
Burlington, Frankfort, Camden, Lebanon, Darlington and Dayton, in
all of which his work was most acceptable, resulting in the
building up of local congregations, and in inducing hundreds of
persons to abandon the ways of sin and seek the higher way
leading to peace and holiness.
Mr. HILL was married in Frankfort on the twenty-eighth of August, 1853, to Mary F. BARNER, who was born in the county of Clinton in the year 1836, the daughter of John Barne r-- a union blessed with the birth of four children: Emma, Earl, Maria and William, all deceased but the last named. who is a hoot and shoe merchant of Frankfort, and ex-county surveyor. While a resident of Pine Village, Warren county, Ind., when an order came from Gov. Morton to a couple of residents of that place to recruit a company for the Union service, and whose efforts in that direction resulted in failure, Mr. Hill took charge of the matter, and within three days had one hundred men enrolled and in readiness to go forth and battle for the nation's honor. These men were organized into a company at La Fayette, and Mr. Hill was unanimously elected captain, a position he held a short time, being compelled to resign his commission in about two mouths by reason of an injury received by a fall. He was then chosen chaplain of the regiment, and as such served about seven months, when he resigned and returned to his home. In every relation of life, Rev. Hill has been characterized by integrity of purpose and kindness of heart, thus chaining to him by his genial traits those with whom he has come in contact. His work in the ministry was marked by an enthusiasm which showed him to be fully alive to the responsibility of the sacred calling; his pulpit efforts were able and convincing, and the amount of good accomplished during the years consecrated to the service of the Master will only be known in that Great Day when every man will be rewarded ''according as his works shall be." Mr. Hill was also a remarkable singer. and he attributes a portion of his success in the ministry to this fact. pages 717-718. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
HILLIS, Benjamin F.
, the wealthiest resident land owner in Johnson township, Clinton
county, Ind., his place of birth, was born December 26, 1857. His
grandfather, John HILLIS, was a resident of Fayette county, Ind.,
and his son, Anderville HILLIS, the father of Benjamin F., was
born in Fayette county, March 27, I827. Anderville Hillis was
educated in the old-fashioned log school-house, and in turn
taught a year in a house of the same description. He married Mary
A. FRAZIER, a daughter of Williamson and Clarissa (THATCHER)
FRAZIER. To this union the following children were born: John,
Elizabeth, Benjamin F., George and Clara Belle, of whom, Benjamin
F. and Clara Belle alone are living. Anderville HILLIS was a
member of Herman lodge, No. 184, F & A. M., was a Methodist
in religion and a democrat in politics. At the time of his death,
which occurred in 1878, he was the owner of 800 acres of land,
which he had acquired with the aid of his industrious and
economical helpmate, who is still living on the old farm.
Benjamin F. Hillis has been closely identified with the progress of Johnson township ever since he has been old enough to form a conception of the meaning of the word. He married Caroline McDora PRUITT, daughter of John and Nancy (STEWART) PRUITT, whose historv appears on another page, and this union has been made the happier by the birth of four children, viz; Mabel D., Myrl A., Maud E. and Colonel. The farm of Mr. Hillis comprises 670 acres of very fertile land, which is in a very high state of cultivation, and is improved with three good farm residences and proper outbuildings. He has made a specialty of breeding registered short-horned cattle, and during the past fifteen years has done more to elevate the grade of cattle in his township than any other breeder within its limits. He does not breed for mere pleasure or stock-show pride, but from a business point of view. Mr. Hillis is a stanch democrat, but is in no sense an office seeker. It may be incidentally remarked that Hillisburg is named for his uncle, John E. Hillis. The family is one of the oldest and most opulent in the township and is most highly respected. p. 723. Source I Transcribed by Connie
HILLIS, Joseph Etherton
In placing the name of the late Joseph E. HILLIS in the front rank of Clinton county's business men of a past generation, simple justice is done to a biographical fact, universally recognized throughout this section of the state by those at all familiar with his history. A man of rare soundness of judgment, wise discretion and business ability of a high order, he managed, with tactful success, important enterprises, and so impressed his individuality upon the community as to recognition among its leading citizens and public-spirited men of affairs. What of the man and what of his work? This is the dual query which represents the interrogation at least nominally entertained whenever that discriminating factor, the public, would pronounce on the true worth of the individual. The career of Mr. Hillis indicates the clear-cut, sane and distinct character, and in reviewing the same from an unbiased and unprejudiced standpoint, interpretation follows fact in a straight line of derivation. In this publication it is consistent that such a review be entered, and that without the adulation of ornate phrases. The city of Frankfort naturally takes pride in the work performed by Mr. Hillis, who stamped the mark of definite acomplishment on the highest plane of industrial activity, and consistently demands that he be given due relative precedence in a work which has to do with those who have lived and labored to good purpose in the great commonwealth of Indiana in times that are past, and thence permeated the great industrial and civic life of the nation in which he stood well to the forefront in representative citizenship, even if his career was such as to gain him no more than a state reputation. His history and that of the latter-day progress of Clinton county. is so indissolubly interwoven that they are pretty much one and the same, for he lived to see and take a leading part in the upbuilding of the county and city of his choice, and during the years in which he honored this locality with his residence no man stood higher in public esteem.
Joseph E. Hillis, banker, financier and business man, who for more than thirty years, had been a prominent figure in the commercial life of the locality of which this history treats, and had succeeded well in his many and diversified enterprises, his own prosperity adding material advancement to the city and county along many lines of progress, was born near Madison, Jefferson county, Indiana, September 26, 1840. He received limited educational advantages, and he began his business career when quite a young man and at eighteen was a general merchant at Michigantown. His next venture was at Zionsville, where he conducted the same lines of business as at Michigantown success attending him at both places. His marriage to Jennie E. AVERY, a lady of culture and refinement, took place at Zionsville, March 19, 1872, and in the spring of the following year he came to Frankfort and EIwood Avery engaged in the grocery business on quite an extensive scale on the west side of the public square. After disposing of that business Mr. Hillis was one of the organizers of the R. P. Shanklin & Company, wholesale grocery house. He remained in this business until his death. He also assisted in the organization of the Clinton count Bank, and was its president when he died. Its large success and widespread prestige in the financial world of northern Indiana was due for the most part in his perserverance, wise discrimination and sterling honesty in the management of its affairs. He was also interested in many other business ventures in Frankfort, all of which have prospered and increased his earnings and he was rated as one of the city's wealthiest men. He was deserving of a great deal of credit for what he accomplished alone and often in the face of obstacles that would have crushed the man of less heroic mettle, and all this along perfectIy legitimate lines of endeavor. He owned one of the most attractive and modernly appointed homes in the county, which was always regarded by his many friends as a place of old-time hospitality and good cheer.
Success came to Joseph E. Hillis is it does not come to everybody, and in the city where he had carved out the greater part of his fortune his was an honored name. Like others who have succeeded, he found that there is no sentiment in business, and while he at all times followed the rules of established ethics in his relations with his fellow men, both in a business and social way, he frequently stepped aside in his career to help others who needed encouragement and advice. And his assistance did not always consist of words. There are many men in Frankfort who can tell how they were started in business by Mr. Hillis and families who can bear testimony to his leniency in their efforts to acquire a place which they could call home.
Death came to Mr. Hillis without warning, while at his place of business in the wholesale house mentioned above in Frankfort, on Monday, September 27, 1904. He had been in apparently good health and was attending to business matters up to the very moment when stricken down. Interment was made in beautiful Green Lawn cemetery.
Surviving Mr. Hillis is his widow. Their only child, Chalmers H., a young man who seemed to have inherited many of his father's sterling virtues, especially in a business way, died June 14, 1913. A memoir appears elsewhere. Two sisters, Mrs. BUCHANAN and Mrs. O'NEIL, both residing near Madison, Ind., survive our subject, and two, brothers, Frank HILLIS, of Logansport and Paul HILLIS, of Kokomo, Ind.
Personally, Mr. Hillis was a gentleman of pleasing and courteous address, his earnestness and candor, diplomacy and kindness never failing to make a deep impression on all with whom he came into contact and he in every way deserved the high esteem in which he was held by all who knew him. Pages 408 410.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
, one of Frankfort's most popular citizens, and a representative
gentleman of the old school, is an Ohio man, and a descendant of
sturdy ancestors who settled at a very early period in Vermont,
of which state his parents, Solomon and Mary (WARD) HINDS, were
both natives,. Solomon HINDS and wife were married in Rutledge
county, Vt., and later emigrated to Muskingum county, Ohio, where
Mr. Hinds followed the blacksmith's trade until he removed, in
the year 1819, to Clark county, Ind. After settling in Indiana he
purchased town property and engaged in various kinds of
speculation, which he carried on until 1843, when he became a
resident of the county of Jefferson, where his death occurred ten
years later; his wife died at the same place in 1866. They were
the parents of a large family, thirteen children in all, only two
of whom are Iiving; Lovissa, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio; and Jesse,
whose name appears at the head of this mention. The following are
the names of those deceased: James W., Elizabeth, William, Sarah
J., Solomon. Hugh, Rufus, and four that died in infancy.
Jesse HINDS was born November 17, 1817, in Licking county, Ohio, and grew to manhood in Clark county, Ind., where his parents moved when he was less than two years of age. He remained on the home place until his eighteenth year, received an education such as was usually imparted by the common schools of that time, and began life upon his own responsiblity as a brick-layer, which, with various other kinds of employment, he followed until 1865. In the meantime he turned his attention to the mercantile business for some years, and dealt very extensively in cooperage material, lumber, etc., in all of which his success was most gratifying, his earnings enabling him to retire from active life in the above year, and devote some time to leisure and travel. In 1892 he was elected justice of the peace in Frankfort, of which city he became a resident in 1874, and has since filled the office in a manner most satisfactory to the public and creditably to himself. Mr. Hinds possesses a well balanced mind, excellent judgment, and by years of contact with all classes of men in business and other capacities. has become the possessor of a vast fund of practical knowledge, which makes him one of the best informed and most intelligent men of the city where he resides. His political views are in harmony with the republican party, and he stands high in Masonic circles, having been an active member of that order for a number of years. Mr. Hinds was first married in 1843, in Zanesville, Ohio, to Johanna COPE, a native of New York, who died in the year 1883. She bore the following children: Robert M., a contractor and builder of Noblesville, Ind.; Frank K., a builder of Frankfort ; Sibley, wife of H. H. FREEDLY, of Indianapolis, and Jesse, wife of James McNICLE. In the year 1888, Mr. HINDS was united in marriage to Mrs. Harriet L. FETTER, who was born in March, 183O, in the city of Frankfort, the daughter of John PENCE, and the widow of the late Peter FETTER. Mr. and Mrs. Hinds. are members of the Methodist church. pp. 723 - 724. Source I Transcribed by Connie
HINES, William R.
--- No more conspicuous or highly honored character ever formed a
factor in the history of Frankfort or Clinton county than the
gentleman whose name introduces this biographical mention.
William R. HINES was born in the city of New York, September 4,
1849, and is a son of William and Julia HINES, both parents
natives of Ireland. The father came to the United States when
about fifteen years of age, and met in the above city Miss Julia
REDMOND, who also came from the Ernerall isle when voung, and
they were married in the year 1843. Soon after coming to the new
world, Mrs. Hines when about sixteen years old became a member of
the family of Gen. Winfield Scott, commander-in-chief of the
United States army, as waiting maid to his daughter, which place
she retained for three and a half years, and until her marriage
to William HINES, the father of our subject, who was a ship
carpenter of a packet line between New York and New Orleans, and
in 1851 met with an accident. Mr. HINES, shortly after his
injury, returned to Ireland, and died there among his friends in
the year 1851. Mrs. HINES then made her home in New York. To Mr.
and Mr. HINES were born four children, viz: Daniel, killed in a
railroad accident while acting as conductor on the Pennsylvania
line; Thomas, William R.. and Julia, deceased. Mrs. Hines, after
three and one-half years of widowhood, married James HARRIGAN, of
Philadelphia, a well-known landscape gardener, who in 1861
enlisted in a New York regiment and lost his life in the service
of his adopted country. Mrs. HARRIGAN, in the capacity of nurse,
accompanied the company of which her husband was a member, and
for one vear devoted her attention to alleviating the sufferings
of sick and wounded soldiers. She remained in New York city until
1888, at which time she was brought to Frankfort by her son, the
subject of this sketch, and here her last years were spent,
surrounded by everything which loving hands could devise for her
comfort, and laid to rest in the beautiful Green Lawn cemetery of
Frankfort, of which the subject has been president since its
William R. HINES, at the tender age of two and one-half years, was placed under the charge of the aid society of New York city, then located on Randall's island, in the East river, near Long Island, and was thus cared for until 1860, at which time, being then ten years of age, he was, with many others as unfortunate as himself, sent westward and found his home at Frankfort, Ind.; where he secured a place with one Adam BLINN, with whom he remained until his majority. Mr. Blinn did well by his young charge and gave him a good education, by means of which Mr. HINES was enabled to secure a license entitling him to teach in the common schools of Clinton county. He followed the teacher's profession during winter seasons about four years, worked at anything to which he could turn his hand during the rest of the year, and at the age of twenty-five became a resident of Frankfort, of which city he was soon afterward elected clerk by the republican party. He discharged the duties of his office very creditably for four years and four months, and in the meantime devoted his leisure to the study of law, with the principles. of which he soon became familiar. He was regularly admitted to the Clinton county bar during his official term, and immediately thereafter engaged in the practice of his profession in partnership with 0. E. BRUMBAUGH, which firm lasted for a period of five years. Mr. HINES's next venture was contracting railroads, and street constructing, and gravel road building, to which he has since devoted the greater part of his attention, and in which his success has been most flattering, the reputation being accorded him at this time as one of the most prominent contractors of the county. Since engaging in this line of work Mr. Hines has been interested in the construction of thirty-two miles of the Clover Leaf railroad in Indiana and Illinois, also ten miles of Iron Mountain system in Arkansas; the Frankfort & Middle Fork gravel road and other contracts in Indiana and other states. He has made over $100,000 worth of street improvements in the city of Frankfort; about $20,000 worth in Alexandria, and $102,000 in Anderson, these last being brick pavement, and at this time he is engaged in constructing the sanitary sewerage system at Indianapolis, which works represents a capital of some $90,000. He also has on hand a number of other contracts in different places, both of a public and private nature, and keeps in daily communication with the leading cities of the country, in which such improvements are likely to be needed. In 1884, in partnership with John L. YOUNG, Esq., Mr. HINES opened a real estate, abstract and probate office in Frankfort, a business which proved financially remunerative, and which is still continued, the business being very extensive, and not confined to the limits of Clinton county alone, but extends to other parts of the state as well.
In the growth and development of Frankfort Mr. Hines has ever been prominently identified, and the city has no more energetic and public-spirited citizen than he. He is connected with the Frankfort Improvement company, of which he has been a director since its organization. Politically, Mr. Hines wields an influence for the republican party, with which he has been connected ever since attaining his majority. He was the last nominee of the republican party for prosecuting attornev of the counties of Boone and Clinton while they yet comprised the Twenty-second judicial circuit, and was defeated with the remainder of the ticket. The following winter, when Clinton county was made a separate circuit by the legislature, he was appointed by Governor PORTER prosecutor of Clinton county, being the first to hold that office. He was a candidate for elector in the Ninth congressional district in 1892, but failed to secure the honor.
In all business and professional relations, Mr. Hines has ever been actuated by motives of the highest Integrity, and by strictly honorable methods he has met with success such as few attain in a much longer life. Financially, he is quoted as among the most substantial and reliable men of Clinton county; his accumulations of real estate and other property going far up in the thousands in value. His business has frequently called him to many and remote parts of the United States, having made six trips to New York city, and at one time he went to California, and also spent nearly a year in the state of Kansas. Fraternally, Mr. Hines is a prominent member of the Masonic order, in which he has taken a number of degrees, including that of Sir Knight. He accompanied his commandery to Washington city in 1889, to Denver, Colo., in 1892, and his activity in behalf of the fraternity has brought him into favorable notice throughout the state of Indiana. The Presbyterian church, of which he has been an earnest member for some years, represents his religious creed, and at this time he holds the office of deacon in the congregation worshiping in Frankfort.
Mr. HINES was happily married in Clinton county on the 4th day of September, 1877, to Miss Eliza JENKINS, the accomplished daughter of William and Clara (PAULEY) JENKINS, a union blessed with the birth of three children, viz: Lilah L., Frank J. and Harry. Mrs. HINES was born June 24, 1854, in the county of Clinton, and is one of the popular ladies of Frankfort. In his various relations of domestic, civil and professional life, Mr. HINES's actions have been characterized by the same intelligence and cordiality which have deservedly gained for him a high position in the regard of the community, and measured by the usual standard his life has indeed been a most gratifying success. He is a true type of the polished gentleman, and his career affords a striking example of what a young and friendless boy, without means and surrounded by obstacles very discouraging in their nature, can accomplish when endowed with the proper powers of mind and heart and actuated bv pure and excellent motives. pp. 724 - 728. Source I Transcribed by Connie
, retired farmer and highly respected old citizen of Frankfort,
was born July 9, 1831, in Clinton county Ind., of which he is now
one of the oldest native residents. His father, William
HODGEN, was of Scotch-Irish descent and grew to manhood in
Kentucky, where he was married a number of years ago to Mary
Magdalene. William HODGEN was a farmer and followed that useful
calling in Kentucky until his removal to Daviess county, Ind., of
which he was one of the pioneers. In 1828, he became a
resident of the county of Clinton and entered a tract of
government land, from which he developed a farm and upon which he
resided until his death in 1831. His wife survived him a
number of years, departing this life in 1864. William
and Mary HODGEN had a family of ten children, only two of whom
are living at this time --- Pleasant, who was born March 12, 1827,
and Jacob, whose name appears at the head of this sketch.
The names of those deceased are as follows : James, John,
Sarah, Harrison, Joseph, and Eliza; two also died that were
unnamed. Jacob Hodgen spent his
boyhood days assisting with the farm work, and his education, by
no means elaborate, was obtained in the subscription schools of
the township where he resided. He remained with his mother
until after attaining his majority, and in 1853 went to
California, making the trip to that far away country by water,
the journey requiring twenty-seven days. While there he followed
mining, a part of the time in the employ of other parties, and
for two years operated a claim of his own with very successful
results. After remaining in California for a period of
three and one-half years, he returned to Clinton county and
purchased a farm, which he made valuable by good improvements and
upon which he resided until 1890, in which year he moved to
Frankfort and purchased a grocery store and meat market. He
continued in business for about eighteen months, disposing of his
interest at the end of that time and retiring from the active
duties of life. He sold his farm in 1893 to his son and is
now enjoying that rest and quietude so nobly earned by a long
life of activity.
Mr. Hodgen, on the eighth of April, 1857, was united in marriage to Mary McKINZIE, daughter of Mercer and Sarah (ELMORE) McKINZIE, natives of Ohio and of Scotch lineage. The following are the names of the brothers and sisters of Mrs. Hodgen: Jacob, Mary, Catherine, Noah, Patrick, Hale, Juliana (deceased), Melvina, Job (deceased), Thomas and Emeline. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. HODGEN have been born six children, namely: Laban C., born June I, 1861; Henry H. October 3, 1862; Oscar, July 9, 1864, died February 19, 1865; Josie, wife of D. V. Lucas, born January 18, 1867; Anna F., born August 27, 1869, died February 14, 1892, and Magdalene, who was born July 27, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Hodgen are faithful members of the old Christian church. Originally he was a republican and as such served one term as trustee of Jackson township. Of late years he has affiliated with the prohibition party, the principles of which he believes to be for the best interest to the country. By close application and successful management he has gained for himself and family a comfortable competence, and he deserves mention as one of the representative citizens of the county of Clinton. pages 728-729. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
, a prominent farmer and one of the largest land owners of
Kirklin township and of Clinton county, Ind., as well, is
descended from sturdy English and Irish ancestry. His paternal
grandfather emigrated from England, and was a resident of
Washington county, Pa., at the time of his death. The father,
James HOLLCRATT, was married in that county to Elizabeth LYTTLE,
and on a flatboat he and his family went down the Ohio river to
Warren county, Ohio, where they lived for four years. Their next
place of residence was Clinton county, Ohio. Mr. HOLLCRATT
secured 160 acres of land from the government and purchased
another quarter section. He went through all the hardships of
pioneer life, but his earnest efforts were at length successful,
and the land which he purchased at $1.25 per acre is now valued
at $60. He belonged to the Christian church, and was a democrat
in politics. His death occurred at the age of sixty years. By his
first marriage were born eight children: Robert, who wedded Susan
KIMBAUGH; John, who died at the age of twenty-one; Abraham; Ann,
wife of Abner LUDDINGTON; Eliza, wife of George WOODMANSEE;
Lucinda, wife of Ambrose WHITTAKER; Melinda, wife of Seth COOK;
and Harvey, deceased. The mother died, and Mr. HOLLCRATT
afterward wedded Mrs. Rachel (COOK) SPAULDING, by whom he became
father of three children William, Samuel and Mary.
The record of Abraham Hollcratt will prove of interest to the readers of this volume, for he is both widely and favorably known in this county. He was born in Washington county, Pa., October 5, 1807, and in his younger years he worked at splitting rails for $8 per month. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Polly McGILL, whom he married November 12, 1832. He then traded his stock and his crops to a man who was to bring him to Indianapolis, and in November, 1833, arrived in this county, after a journey of eleven days. They had a four horse team and Mrs. Hollcratt rode on horseback. When the expenses of the journey were met our subject had only $22.50 remaining. The year previous he had here purchased 100 acres and entered forty acres additional, and on the second of December, 1833, moved into the little log cabin which he built upon his farm. His wife was taken sick and there were many hardships and trials to be borne. They also had two little children: Elizabeth Jane, now the wife of Robert McCLAMROCH; and one who died early in life. Deer and other wild game were plentiful, and wolves were frequently seen. Mr. Hollcratt at once began to clear and improve his land, and worked very hard during those days. At this time a rich firm was buying all the coon skins in the county, having a monopoly on the same, when a Mr. FURY made a contract with Nathan KIRK, telling him to buy all the skins he could possibly obtain, and get others to do the same. Mr. Hollcratt. who had sold a horse and saddle for $65, was advised. by Mr. Kirk to buy coon skins with the cash, and this he did, purchasing them for fifteen cents each and selling for eighty-one cents each, thereby making a good profit. This proved of great benefit to him and gave him a start in other directions. All other experiences of frontier life are known to Mr. Hollcratt, and he can relate many interesting incidents of those pioneer days.
In 1868, he was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died in the month of January. On the twelfth of November, following, he married Mrs. Harriet (CAMPBELL) KERSEY, who was born May 30, 1817, in Bath county, Ky., a daughter of Williamson and Nancy (CASHAW) CAMPBELL. She is a member of the Christian church, to which Mr. Hollcratt formerly belonged. In early life he was a Jackson democrat, but subsequently became a republican. He has given to each of his seven grandchildren a good house and lot and owns fifteen houses and lots in Kirklin, and the same number in Frankfort, together with a number of well improved farms, comprising 840 acres, on which are 1,200 rods of wire fence with iron posts and many rods of tiling. He has $5,000 in stock in the Farmers' bank at Frankfort, and is now a wealthy man, owing to his own earnest labor, economy and perseverance. He has a very pleasant home, supplied with all modern improvements and lighted with natural gas, and there he is spending his remaining days, enjoying the rest which he has so truly earned and richly deserves. Pages 730-731. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HOLLINGSWORTH, John W.
H. W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana
(Chicago: HH Hill, 1881) p 559
John M. HOLLINGSWORTH, merchant, Darlington, is the son of John and Mary BELL) Hollingsworth, natives of Ohio, who emigrated to Clinton Co, Indiana at an early date in which County the subject of this sketch was born at Jefferson July 21, 1835. He received an education such as was furnished at the primeval school house of those times, and during his youth learned the blacksmith trade, which business he continued to follow till 1863 when he enlisted at the call of his country in the 126th Ind Reg and served under Gen. Hood throughout the campaign, taking part in the battle of Nashville, and other engagements in which the regiment participated during the 17 months of his service. At the close of the war Mr. Hollingsworth returned to Boone Co, where he had located in 1856 and after a short stay there removed in 1866 to Montgomery Co and settled in Darlington. Here he opened store in the dry goods and grocery business in which he is still engaged. He has been a hardworking, temperate man, honest and upright in all his dealings and by his energy and perserverance has succeeded in building up a large and constantly increasing business his trade now amounting to over $20,000 per annum. in 1856, on removing to Boone Co, he married Miss Nancy ADNEY a resident there the result of which union is one daughter, Lucy. Mr. Hollingsworth is one of the most popular men in this part of the County, and has been twice elected on the republican ticket to the office of township trustee, the first time in Oct 1878 and again in 1880 which office he continues to fill with satisfaction to all and with honor to himself.
Contributed by: Karen Zach
Added: June 25, 2016
Jefferson Parker Holloway, owner of Pleasant View Farm, consisting of two hundred and eighty acres in section 10, of Perry township, Clinton county, was born in Boone county, Indiana, October 8, 1850. He is a son of Thomas HOLLOWAY, a native of Montgomery county, this state. The family is of English ancestry, and have been in America for many generations, proving to be excellent and loyal citizens all the while. Thomas Holloway grew to manhood on the home farm, and, being a pioneer child, found plenty of hard work to do when a boy in the development of the farm from the wilds. He received a meager education in the old-time schools. In early manhood he married Sally M. TRUITT, a daughter of Anderson TRUITT, of English descent and an early settler in this part of Indiana, where he secured government land, the patent for the same being signed by Andrew Jackson. One hundred and twenty acres of this land is now owned by the subject of this sketch, constituting his home place.
Anderson TRUITT reared a large family, one son, Parker TRUITT, is a prosperous farmer and well known citizen of this county. The mother of our subject died on the home farm at the early age of thirty-two years, leaving five children: Enoch, a soldier in the Civil war and now living in Minnesota; Jefferson Parker, of this review; John T., I. N. and Mahala. The father of these children was a soldier in the One Hundredth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company G, and saw considerable hard service. He was with General Sherman on his march to the sea through Georgia. He was shot in the mouth and lost seven teeth and part of the jaw. He died at Danville, Illinois, at the age of seventy-two years. He was a member of the Methodist church.
Jefferson P. HOLLOWAY spent his boyhood on the farm and there learned the various phases of general agricultural pursuits. He had little opportunity to attend school, but remaining a student all his life, he is a well educated man.
In 1870, when twenty years of age Mr. HOLLOWAY married Mary E. DUKES, a woman of fine attributes of head and heart, who has proven to be an excellent helpmeet. She was born January 12, 1853, and is a daughter of William S. DUKES, born in Ohio, from which state he came to Indiana and lived in Boone county for many years. He was born in 1825 and died in 1892 at the age of sixty-seven years. He was a leading farmer and extensive stock shipper of his community, a man highly respected by all. He was a member of the Methodist church and a trustee of the same for some time. The death of the mother occurred in 1912 at the advanced age of eighty-three years. She had remarried, her second husband being U. C. McKENZIE, now deceased.
Our subject began life for himself by renting land. Managing well he soon was enabled to purchase a farm of his own and each succeeding year has found him further advanced. He first purchased forty-five acres, then purchased the Truitt estate of one hundred and twenty acres, later adding to his holdings until he now has two hundred and eighty acres as stated above, constituting one of the most desirable and productive farms in the county, on' which he carries on general farming and stock raising, reaping large annual rewards for his outlay of labor and good management. He has an attractive rural home in the midst of pleasant surroundings, and his outbuildings are large and convenient, everything about his place denoting thrift and prosperity. He always keeps an excellent grade of live stock, preparing large numbers for the market from time to time. His place is located three miles east of Colfax.
Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Holloway: Dr. William A., a graduate of Bellevue Medical College, New York City, and post graduate of the Polyclinic Institute of that city, now one of the leading physicians of Logansport, Ind.; Thomas C., educated in the State university at Bloomington, Ind., a successful farmer and stock man of Clinton county, owns a fine farm of one hundred acres, married, has two sons; Asher E., a graduate of electric engineering, from Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind., now married and living at San Diego, Cal.
Fraternally, Mr. Holloway is a member of the Masonic Order at Colfax. Politically, he is a staunch Republican and has long been active in the interest of his party, and regarded as a local leader. He was elected to the state legislature as representative from this county in 1907. He made a notable fight regard to the county license question and the liquor law.
Personally, Mr. Holloway is a man of fine presence, one whom it is a pleasure to meet. He is cordial, gentlemanly, obliging and a man of exemplary habits. Both he and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church at CoIfax, and they stand high in all circles in which they moved. Pages 446 448. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
HOLMES, Dr. Horatio D.
DR. HORATIO D. HOLMES, of Scircleville, Clinton county, Ind., and the leading physician in the eastern part of the county, descends from good old Irish stock and a generation of American ancestors, his paternal grandparents coming from the Emerald isle in 1795. After residing twenty years in Virginia they went to Pulaski county, Ky., where they both died. His grandfather was a school-teacher for thirty-five years after reaching America, and his ability is attested by the fact that he taught seven consecutive years in one district. Col. John M. Holmes, the father of our subject, was born in Virginia, November 4, 1796, and was reared on the home farm, and followed farming all his life to a greater or less degree. His education was far beyond the average. He married, in Kentucky, Jerusha Hill, daughter of John and Delilah (COOPER) HILL, the former of whom came from Kentucky to Clinton county, Ind., while it was yet a wilderness. He was a minister of the Baptist church, and organized the Hill church, the first church of that denomination in the county. Before coming to Clinton county, he had represented Pulaski county, in the legislature of Kentucky as a democrat. Col. John M. Holmes, after marriage, remained a few years in Kentucky and then came to Indiana, stopped a while in Jennings county, and then moved to Tipton county, where he entered 103 acres in the "green" among the Indians. He was an active democrat. and was the first election clerk of Tipton county; later, he was elected county commissioner, and at the expiration of his term was re-elected. Mrs. Holmes was a devout Baptist, and was very careful in rearing her children, of whom she had nine, viz: David, who died in Kentucky, an infant; Polly Ann, deceased; William; Amanda J.; John H.; James, deceased; Theodore; Telemachus Polk and Horatio D., twins. Dr. Horatio D. Holmes was born in Tipton county, Ind., July 24, 1845. He remained on the home farm in all twenty-two years, securing his education meantime. At the outbreak of the Civil war he offered his services to his country, but on account of his youth, they were not accepted. The family was represented, however, by his brother John, who was wounded at Kenesaw Mountain and died from the effects of the injury; his brother William also did gallant service in the field.
Dr. Holmes commenced the practice of his profession, in 1872, at Hillisburgh, where he was very successful, but changed his location to Scircleville in 1887, where he has as large a practice as any physician in the county, outside of Frankfort. He has a most valuable medical library and is a close reader of the medical journals of the United States, and keeps well abreast with the progress of the profession. He is a man of generous impulses, and was never known to refuse aid or advice to a sick family or person on account of poverty. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Kirklin, and of Sugar Creek lodge, No. 321, I. O. O. F. in which he has filled all the chairs and which he has represented in the grand lodge. In politics he is a stanch democrat, and is active in the support of his party. The doctor was married January 5, 1877, to Miss Charlotta NEAL, daughter of Thomas Neal. This lady was born April 19, 1862, and is a member of the Baptist church, which the doctor liberally aids, as well as all the local churches. Two children are the result of this happy union, and are named Thomas and Iva. The doctor and his family stand deservedly high in the estimation of those who have the honor of being socially acquainted with them. Pages 729-730
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
HOOVER, Samuel A.
SAMUEL A. HOOVER, deceased, was a native of Indiana, and was born in Fulton county, near Rochester, March 16, 1848, a son of Enos and Rhuanna (SHAW) HOOVER, both of German parentage. In his boyhood days Samuel A. was brought by his parents to Frankfort, where he was educated in the common schools, and where he passed his vacations in the tin shop of his father, learning the trade. At the age of fourteen he began clerking in the clothing house of Givens Bros., with whom he remained several years; later he clerked for several firms, and finally, in the fall of 1869, he began business on his own account, handling clothing and gents' furnishing goods, in which trade, having become very popular, he continued until his untimely death, January 24, 1887. He was always courteous and obliging, made hosts of friends and customers, and rose from a position comparatively at the bottom of the ladder to one of comfort and leadership among his fellow-merchants. He was fraternally an Odd Fellow and Red Man of Frankfort; in politics was a republican, and in religion was an adherent of the Methodist church.
Mr. HOOVER was married May 10, 1871, to Miss Mary Elizabeth LEE, daughter of George R. Lee and one of the able lady teachers in the county of Clinton. This lady was born April 1, 1852, and is the eldest daughter in the family of four children born to her parents. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Hoover was blessed by the birth of five children, as follows: Josie Lee, now a teacher in one of the city schools of Frankfort; Homer E., Elbert L., Bertha R. and Helen J. Mrs. Hoover, since the death of her husband, has reared her children in a most genteel manner, and is quite comfortably situated at her home on North Main street, where she is surrounded by a large circle of devoted friends. She is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is also a member of Rebecca lodge, No. 77, which is held under the auspices of the I.0.0.F.
George R. Lee, father of Mrs. Hoover, and a retired merchant of Frankfort, Ind., was born in Warren county, Ohio, September 29, 1835, and is the son of Robert and Mary (JACK) LEE, the former of Scotch-English descent and the latter of Scotch extraction. Mr. Lee at the age of thirteen years came to Indiana with his widowed mother and resided near Frankfort for three years, and then began learning the shoemaker's trade in Frankfort where he has lived
The marriage of Mr. Lee took place September 25, 1847, to Miss Nancy AUGHE, daughter of John F. I. and Elizabeth (BRANARD) AUGHE. This lady was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, near Dayton, October 25, 1858, and came with her parents to Frankfort, Ind., in 1831. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lee were born the following children John Wilson Lee, Mary Elizabeth, Eunice B., and Emma J. Mrs. Lee is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has never missed a service for the last ten years; her husband, however, is not a communicant. In politics, Mr. Lee is a stanch republican. pp. 731-732 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.