I - K
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the bottom of this page.
IRBY, Simon P.,
ex-soldier and farmer of Forest township, Clinton county, Ind.,
is of sturdy Anglo-Saxon stock, his great-great-grandfather,
Joseph IRBY, having come from England in company with his
brothers and made his settlement in Virginia. Joshua IRBY,
his son, and great-grandfather of our subject, was born in
Virginia and was a planter and slave-owner Charles Irby,
grandfather of Simon P., was born in Virginia May 10, 1770,
married Rebecca LEWIS, and emigrated to Tennessee, where he
reared a part of his family, then moved to Switzerand county, Ind.,
in 1827, and thence to Tipton county in 1850. Wylie R.
IRBY; the father of our subject and son of Charles IRBY, was born
in Tazewell county, Tenn., January 24, 1819, and married Rebecca
SMITH, daughter of Peter and Susanna (LINEBACK) SMITH, and to
their marriage had born the following children: Simon P.,
Eliza Ann, Columbus, Elizabeth J., Mary M., Joseph W., Lucinda C.,
Wylie R., Silas M., Rebecca S. and Matilda E. The parents
of this large family are, now seventy-five and seventy-three
years of age respectively. The father has been a deacon in the
New Light church for many years, and is well read in the
Scriptures. It is worthy of remark, incidentally, that not
a nail was used in the erection of the first log cabin that Mr.
Irby built on his present farm. Simon P. IRBY was born in
Switzerland county, Ind., December 2, 1842, and married Mary M.
SUIT, December 6, 1863. This lady is a daughter of
Alexander and Abigail (PIKE) SUIT, the former of whom was an
early settler and a renowned hunter of Clinton county; he was
also a pioneer school-teacher and a farmer; he was twice elected
township trustee on the democratic ticket, and was a deacon in
the New Light church. After their marriage Simon P. IRBY and wife
lived for some time on a farm in Tipton county, and have been
living twenty years on their present farm of eighty-two acres of
very fertile land, which they have realized through their joint
industry and economy clearing and improving nearly the whole of
it. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. IRBY five children have been
born, in the following order: Lewis S., John A , Lucinda A.,
Isaac M. and Harvey A. Mr. Irby enlisted Novem-ber 2, 1864,
in company B, Fortieth Indiana volunteer infantry, and fought in
the cam-paigns of Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas,
Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Alabama, the most prominent
battles in which he took part having been those of Columbia,
Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville, and the seven days' fighting in
pursuit of Hood. He was honorably discharged November 13,
1864, and is now a member of H. C. Coulter post, No. 131, G. A. R.
He and wife are members of the Christian church, in which he is a
deacon. Lucinda A. IRBY, the third child born to Simon P. and his
wife, married James H. JONES, who is now deceased, and became
the mother of the famous JONES twins. These children were
united, like the renowned Siamese twins, Chang and Eng, by a
cartilagenous tissue: they were strong and healthy, lived many
months, but were attacked by the measles, then the bronchitis,
and so perished. pp. 734 - 735 Source
Transcribed by Chris Brown
IRWIN, Robert S.
, now living in retirement in Frankfort, Ind., was born Ross
county, Ohio, January 14, 1818, a son of Samuel and Esther (DEAN)
lRWIN, of whom further details are given later on. Samuel IRWIN
was born in Maryland January 1, 1782, and was but two years of
age when taken to Kentucky, but a few years later to Ohio. He
there grew to maturitv and was married in Ross county to Esther
DEAN who bore fourteen children, viz: Catherine, Abigail, Jessup,
Mesner, Gustin, Jared, William, Samuel K., John, Robert S.,
Price, Asa, Nancy J. and James L., all born Ross county, Ohio. In
1829 the parents of Robert S IRWIN came to Indiana and settled in
Montgomery countv where the father died August 18, 1834, in the
Presbyterian faith --- the mother surviving until Jauuary 27,
Robert S. IRWIN was reared to manhood in Montgomery, county. Ind., and there made his home until he reached his majority; he then attended school in Jefferson county, and taught for three years Tippecanoe and Clinton counties and elsewhere; In 1843 he rented a farm in Clinton countv, on which he resided as a tenant for six years, and then.1850, he bought a farm of eighty acres, under a good state of cultivation, in Twelve Mile Prairie, on which he lived until 1892, when he came to the city to live, on account of the great convenience of natural gas, although he is yet the owner of 240 acres of excellent land. The marriage of Mr. IRWIN was solemnized in Clinton county, Ind., September 24, I 840, with Miss Rebecca GRAY, who was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, a daughter of John and Sarah (DOUGLASS) GRAY. The union of Mr. and Mrs. IRWIN was blessed with the folllowing children: Sarah M., wife of J. Boyd, a farmer of Clinton county; John S., deceased; Isaac, of Kirklin; Simon of Clinton county; Rebecca, deceased; Jane, wife of J. E. Ball, a merchant; and Robert W., an attorney. The mother of these children died December 5, 1855. a member of the Presbyterian church and greatly mourned by all who knew her. In 1856 Mr. Irwin was remarried, choosing for his second help-meet (sic) Elizabeth M. SMILEY, who became the therof the following children, viz: Mary, wife of James Waite; Elizabeth,deceased; Rosa, wife of J. GENTRY; William, deceased; and Clara B., wife of Charles WARD, of Frankfort. Mrs. Elizabeth M. IRWIN, also, was called away from earth, dying April 13, 1878. Robert S. Irwin is a republican, politically, and has served as township trustee two terms and as justice, of the peace four years, and has been a farmer since 1843.
Robert W. IRWIN, son of Robert S. and Rebecca (GRAY) IRWIN, was born November I5, 1853, and reared to manhood in Jackson township, Clinton county, Ind., and aided his father on the farm until1872, when he entered the Wabash college, where he studied three years, and then engaged in farming three years; he was next employed in traveling through Indiana for Whitely, Foster & Kelly, of Springfield, Ohio, five years, and then engaged in the manufacture of ax and pick handles for three years in Frankfort. March 5, 1890, he commenced reading law with ex-Senator Kent, was admitted to the bar in December, 1890 and has been a partner with his former preceptor since January, 1892. The nuptials of Mr. IRWIN were celebrated in Jackson township, Clinton county, September 7, 1876, with Miss Marietta BERRY, who was born in Preble county, Ohio, July 29, 1854 --- a daughter of James and Louisa BERRY -- and this union has been bIessed with one child, named Vernie S. Mr ard Mrs. lrwvin are members of the Presbvterian church, and are prominent members of society. pp.785 - 786. Source I Transcribed by Connie
Amos JACKSON was at the time of his death one of the best known and wealthiest citizens of Vermilion County, and the storey of his career is the story of honest industry and thrift. He was born in Clinton County, Indiana on the 15th of September 1837 and was a son of John Jackson. His mother, who was a native of OHio died when he was only 2 and his father, a native of Washington Co PA passed away 8 years later. Therefore, at the early age of 10 he was left an orphan and had to begin the battle of life alone. Coming to vermilion County in 1856, Mr. Jackson started a brickyard and factory in connection with his brothers at Indianola, where he made his home for some time. Later he turned his attention to farming and so successful wa he in that occupation that he eventually became the owner of over 1000 acres of very valuable and productive land. His home place, where he lived for so many years, was west of Sidell and was a very valuable and well improved property. He also owned a large stock farm near Paris, illinois being for sevearl years extensively engaged in buying, selling and shipping a large amount of stock besides those he rained on his own place. In fact, he became one of the most prominent stockmen of his community and for a time was associated with a Mr. Reynolds in that business, maintaining an office at the Chicago Stock Yards. For a short time he made his home in the city of paris and then removed to Danville, taking up his residence on Walnut Street. Subsequently, however, he removed to the corner of Wayne and Buchanan Streets, where he owned the fine home that his family still occupies. It was on the 15th of NOv 1858 that Mr. Jackson was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Hesler, a daughter of Frank and Zilpha (Gilgus) Hesler. She was born in Indanola and after the death of her mother, which occurred when she was quite small,s he made her home with her maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John Gilgus, who came to this state from Kentucky and were among the first settlers of Indianaola, Mr. Gilgus being a pioneer merchant of that city. He brought his first stock of goods from Cincinnati, Ohio by wagon. He was one of the most highly respected men of his community and in businessaffairs was very successful. Mrs. Jackson's father was a farmer by occupation and made his home in Vermilion County for many years but later removed to Douglas Co, this state. Of the 7 children born to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson one is now deceased and the others are: John L; Frank; Jennie wife of HL Freeman; Laura now Msr. Wm. Pundt; Ada wife of Burt Jones and Lula wife of DR Swam. In his politica affiliations Mr. Jackson was a democrat and in his social relations was a Mason. He attended the Methodist Episcopal church and led an upright, honorable life, which commended him to the confidence and high regard of all who knew him. In business affairs he was always found prompt and thoroughly reliable and, being dependent upon his own resources from the early age of 10, the success that he attained was certainly well deserved. He not only left his family a large estate but also a good name and the memory of one to whom reference can always be made with pride. He passed away on 14 Dec 1895 in Danville and was buried in Spring HIll Cemetery.
Source: Jones, Lottie E. History of Vermilion County, Illinois : a tale of its evolution, settlement, and progress for nearly a century. Chicago: Pioneer Pub. Co., 1911, p 437
Transcribed by Karen Zach
JACKSON, William L.
WILLIAM L. JACKSON, one of the prominent business men of Rossville, Clinton county, Ind., is a skillful manufacturer of carriages, and also an old
soldier. William Jackson, his grandfather, was born in London, Eng., came to America when a boy of fifteen, running away from home, having been apprenticed to a bookseller, but not liking the business. He gained a good education, however, and was for years a schoolteacher in New York state and Pennsylvania. He was a fine penman and teacher of that art. He married a Miss Livingston, and there were born to him five children--James, David, William, Samuel and one daughter, whose name is not remembered. Mr. Jackson finally moved to Pickaway county, Ohio, where his oldest son, James, was also one of the pioneers. James and his brother David built the locks on the Miami canal at Lockport. Mr. Jackson was an old man when he moved to Pickaway county, and there he and his wife died. He probably came to America right after the Revolutionary war. He was a schoolteacher all of his active life, was successful and an honorable man. William Jackson, son of above, and father of our subject, was born in Franklin county, Pa., in 1800. He received a good common education, was a stonecutter by trade, and became a contractor early in life. He married in 1822, in Fannettsburg, Franklin county, Pa., Isabel, daughter of Joseph WITHEROW, and to them were born five children--John, Margaret J., James, Eveline and William L. He lived at Fannettsburg, Pa., until 1836, when he went to build the abutments for the dams from No. 4 to No. 9, on the Potomac river for the canal. He sickened from exposure in this work and died at McConnellsburg, Pa., January 5, 1839, at about thirty-nine years of age. He was a man of integrity and great energy and perseverance and was well known. He was reared a member of the church of England, while his wife was a devout member of the Presbyterian church. She was left with a family of five children to rear, the eldest, John, being about sixteen years of age. At the age of fourteen, before the death of his father, John was sent to Harper's Ferry with a cart and horse, for scrip, with which to pay the men at work on the dam. This money was paid out to the men; but the bank broke the day before and all was lost. William L. Jackson, son of above, was born at Fannettsburg, Pa., July 18, 1834, received a good common education and was but five years old when his father died. He moved with his mother and family to Carroll county, Ind., in 1846, and worked at his present trade. He enlisted at Delphi in August, 1862, at the age of twenty-six years, as a bugler in the Twenty-fourth Indiana battery light artillery, and was enrolled September 15, 1862, under Capt. Joseph A. Sims, being the first man to enlist in the battery. He was in the battle of Horse Shoe Bend, Ky., May 11, 1863; Marrow bone, Ky., July 2, 1863; they were after Morgan through Kentucky, then were engaged, October 24, 1863, at Sweet Water, Ky. He was then detailed and sent to Indianapolis to recruit soldiers to fill up the battery. He returned six months later and joined the battery at Red Clay Tenn., May 2, on the eve of the Atlanta campaign. His battery was assigned to Gen. Hovey's division, Twenty-third army corps, under Gen. Schofield marched with this division, May 31, to join Sherman's army, and participated in the battle of Resaca, and was attached July 1, to Gen. Stoneman's command and engaged, July 11-12-13-14 and 17, at Campbellstown, Moore's bridge and Sundown, on the Chattahoochee river. He left Atlanta November 5, in pursuit of Hood, and was engaged at Columbia, Tenn., November 28, in the battle, of Nashville; then returned to Louisville, Ky., and saw no more fighting. He was honorably discharged at Indianapolis, August 3, 1865, and returned home. He was always an active soldier. His position as bugler obliged him to be at the captain's or commanding officer's side, and he was under fire and exposed in every action. He was in all the actions of his battery and in all the marches and campaigns, except when on detail duty six months, during which time he recruited thirty-one men and was commissioned first lieutenant, but was not mustered, as there was no vacancy. He had both feet injured in a railroad collision. He served nearly three years and did his duty, cheerfully and promptly. He had been in business for himself at Delphi for three years before his enlistment and came immediately after the war to Rossville and established his present business. He married one year later, July 4, 1866, Sarah M., daughter of John Harrison and Catherine (Dukes) Calloway. John Harrison Calloway was an old settler and farmer. He was the father of ten children: John M., William, Leander, Benjamin D., Mary E, Isaac (died young), Martin, Sarah A., Delia C. and Laura V. Mr. Calloway was born in 1806, and died January 7,1853, aged forty-seven years. He was a substantial farmer and reared a respected family of children. To Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have been born four children, now living, Frank W., Walter G., Delbert, O., and John Herbert. Mr. Jackson is well known for his skillful work in making all kinds of buggies, spring wagons, and carriages for the surrounding country, and for the wholesale trade. His carriages are made in the best style and contain the best of stock. Mr. Jackson is a member of the G. A. R., Oliver Short post, No. 390, and has held the offices of senior and junior vice-commander, and acted for a long time as adjutant. He is a member of I. O. O. F. lodge, No. 183, Rossville, and had held all the offices, including noble grand, and has been representative to the grand lodge, of which he is also a member. He has taken an active interest in having good schools in Rossville and has been on the school board several years. His children are all well educated, and his son, Delbert O., is attending a business college at La Fayette. His son, John H., is attending school at Rossville and assisting his father at carriage making. Mr. Jackson was a good soldier and is an excellent citizen, and stands high in the community. In politics he is a democrat. Pages 736-738
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
JACOBY, Nathan T.
In the history of Clinton county, as applying to the agricultural interests, the name of Nathan T. Jacoby occupies a conspicuous place, for through the number of years he lived he was one of the representative farmers of the community, progressive, enterprising and persevering. Such qualities always win success, sooner or later, and to Mr. Jacoby they brought a satisfactory reward for his well directed efforts, and while he benefited himself and the community in a material way, he has also been an influential factor in the educational, political and moral uplift of the county in which he resided.
Nathan T. JACOBY was born December 26, 1843 in Clinton county, being the son of Peter and Mary (PETERS) JACOBY, natives of Pennsylvania, who traveled overland to Clinton county in the early days, and entered land from the government around Mulberry. At one time they possessed seventeen hundred acres of ground. The parents lived in their covered wagons until they had built a home of logs in which to live, and in the night, to keep off the wolves and other prowling animals, they built a circle of fires around the wagons. Our subject was one of ten children, all of whom are dead with the exception of John Jacoby and Thomas Jacoby, both retired farmers of this county. Our subject passed away from this life on October 16, 1910.
Nathan Jacoby attended the common schools in his youth and eagerly learned everything their limited resources could offer, then he attended college at Battle Ground, just north of Lafayette, in Tippecanoe county, then, during the winter months, he taught school and in the summer spent his time in farming. Until his retirement, in 1887, he remained actively in the agricultural business, then he built himself a beautiful home in the city of Frankfort and moved there with his wife. She still resides there. Mr. Jacoby continued to keep his farms under the care of competent managers and did so until his death. He owned two farms about two miles from town, one being of one hundred and thirty-two acres and the other of ninety-eight. Corn and wheat were grown extensively on these lands, and their productiveness rivaled the best that Clinton county had. Mr. Jacoby also dealt in the cattle business and made quite a success of his efforts along that line. Mr. Jacoby was well known throughout the county on account of his reliable and honest methods, and he was called upon more times than twenty times to settle up various estates. He never cared for public office, although he was a stanch Republican, but he was always ready to assist any enterprise that meant good for his community. He was also a great lover of his home, and after his daughter's marriage was planning to take a trip with his wife and see the world, but the death of his daughter interrupted for all time their fond plans.
In 1866 Mr. JACOBY was married to Margaret C. GOBLE, the daughter of Israel and Elizabeth (MAJOR) GOBLE. The parents were natives of Virginia, the father was a mason by trade. They came to Clinton county in an early day and experienced the same hardships that were undergone by Mr. Jacobys parents. Mrs. Jacoby was one of nine children, all of whom are dead with the exception of herself and one brother, McAllen GOBLE, a retired farmer living in Lafayette. She had two brothers, Thomas and David who served through the Civil war as privates in Company D, Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
One child. Della, was born to Mr. and Jacoby. She was married to William J. BROWN, of Rossville, a farmers but died two years afterward, leaving one son, Ward B. BROWN, who was born on January 16, 1880. He is a graduate of the Frankfort high school and of Purdue University with the class of 1912. He is now proprietor of the Coulter House. He married Pauline SHARICK, daughter of J. W. and Minnie (REEP) SHARICK, of Ohio, on June 4, 19I3. He is one of the most enterprising of the voting business men of Frankfort, and he is sincerely liked by all of his many friends.
Mr. Brown is a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and Masonic orders and Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He is a Republican in politics. He lives in Center township, Clinton county, where he owns and operates a farm of one hundred and thirty-two acres. His father is still living at Rossville, Indiana, where he is engaged in extensive agriculture and cattle business. Nathan Jacoby was affiliated with no lodges, but was a member of the Presbyterian church. Pages 701 703. Source II Transcribed by Connie
JENKINS, Howard, a substantial farmer of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., was born here September 23, 1842. His grandfather, Benjamin Jenkins, was a native of Virginia, and served in the Revolutionary army eight years. He was a leader and steward in the U. B. church, and died in Virginia at the remarkable age of one hundred years. His son, William G. JENKINS, was born in Hardy county, Va., in 1811, and saw the first railway in the United States on the line between Baltimore and Winchester. He married Barbara SHAFER, daughter of Adam and Rosanna SHAFER, the union resulting in the birth of the following children: Harrison, Howard, Lydia, William and Ella. In 1834, Mr. Jenkins and his father-in-law, Mr. Shafer, came to Indiana together in a two-horse wagon and located in Marion county. William J. Jenkins was a charter member of Herman lodge No. 184, F. & A. M., and died May 7, 1887; Mrs. Barbara Jenkins was a member of the U. B. church and died in March, 1894. Howard JENKINS was educated in the old-fashioned log schoolhouse and reared on a farm. He married Melissa CLARK, daughter of Lewis Clark, a native of Pennsylvania and a miller, who came to Clinton county in its early history, bought sixty acres and now resides in Johnson township. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins are named Manda, Martin, Laura, Milford, Omer, Lydia, Bertha, Elmore, and Luther all living. When first married, Mr. Jenkins settled on a farm of twenty acres, which he has since enlarged to 320 acres, all in the highest state of cultivation at the present time. Mrs. Jenkins is a devout member of the Christian church. Mr. Jenkins is a republican and has been elected, as such, county commissioner, running ahead of his ticket. Mr. Jenkins is an old soldier. He enlisted August 18, 1862, for three years, in company H, Eighty-sixth Indiana volunteer infantry, and was in the campaigns in Kentucky. Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. He fought at Perryville and Stone River, and was then detailed as teamster for the remainder of the war; he was at Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Chattahoochee River, Peach Tree Creek, Knoxville, Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, Jonesboro, Pulaski, Spring Hill and Franklin. He was honorably discharged at Nashville, in June, 1865. He now receives a pension of eight dollars per month. He is a member of Stone River post, No. 45, G. A. R., and as a citizen he is highly esteemed in the community in which he lives. Page 738. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
JOHNSON, Albert T.
In writing the biographies of a county it is a pleasure to discover a subject who has spent his entire life in the county of his birth. Such a fact is a sure recommendation for the progressiveness and prosperity of the community. It augers well for the subject also, for it reveals a long-sightedness seldom found. The youth is invariably seized with the wanderlust at some time, and many men seek other fields of endeavor before they have matured enough to realize that it is best to utilize the home county as a place to live and thereby have the advantages of friends, history, and reputation with which to start life. Of course, there are exceptions. Mr. JOHNSON has made a splendid success of life because he has placed his faith in the county of his birth, seeing there as great opportunities as any place in the country: the fertile soil and high commercial standards of Clinton county have been benefited by his presence in many ways, and not a little of the richness of the territory can be attributed to his untiring efforts toward the betterment of his home and friends. Mr. Johnson is a strong type of the Hoosier farmer --- kind, sympathetic and genial, and yet with a certain sternness which is the defeat of those with dishonest intent and deceitful purpose.
Albert T. JOHNSON was born on July 22, 1867 in Forest township, Clinton county, and was the son of Robert C. and Elizabeth (DENNIS) JOHNSON. Robert C. JOHNSON was born in the state of Virginia and came to Indiana when but a boy, locating first in Henry county, and later here. His early education was meager, as the schools then did not present the advantages of the modern ones. He learned the agricultural science, however, and remained with that vocation all of his life. Before the war he was a Whig, but not believing in the principles of the party as they changed, he cast his support to the Republicans. By his first wife, Elizabeth DENNIS, Mr. Johnson had six children, namely: Eliza, Lindley, Williaim, Ellen, AIbert T., and Barclay. He was married the second time to Abigail WHITE, and had one child, Oliver T. JOHNSON, farmer, of Adams county.
Our subject's education was divided between the common schools of Forest township, this county, and Howard county. On February 22, 1880, he was married to Ellen VENNEMAN, who was born in Warren township, this county, in February, 1874, the daughter of Cornelius and Lorena (MORGAN) VENEMAN, both of whom are deceased.
Mrs. JOHNSON received a common school education. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson there have been born nine children, five boys and four girls, namely: Lottie, Dessie, Laben, Raymond, Glenn, Dwight, Effie, Ancle and Ottle.
Mr. JOHNSON has been a farmer all of his life, and has been exceedingly successful in the pursuit of the same. He owns one hundred and twenty acres in Clinton county, and sixteen acres in Howard county, and all is tillable with the exception of seven acres. The land is well tiled and fenced, and Mr. Johnson has built thereon a comfortable and pretty home and modern farm buildings. Besides general farming Mr. Johnson raises Durham and Shorthorn cattle, a general breed of hogs, and general purpose horses. Religiously, he is a member of the Friends church. In political affairs, he has always supported the Republican party, believing that its basic principles are the best for the country's prosperity. Pages 683 684. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Born: ; Daniel and Polly were both born in Scotland
Children: Nathaniel JOHNS(T)ON
Other information; In the 1830 census (Clinton Co), this family had 8 children, I assume they all died but Nathaniel., Per Nathaniel's marriage records, Daniel and Polly were both born in Scotland., and on an 1830 voter registation in Ross Twp.
Source: JOHNSON / JOHNSTON family research files. Rich Johnston
Among those who have gained worthy prestige in the agricultural and business circles of Clinton county and have proved themselves loyal and patriotic citizens, is Elisha JOHNSON. This man is a fine specimen of the hardy pioneer. He found this county a wilderness and now sees it in full blossom. He belongs to that noble band of settlers now fast disappearing, and to whom we owe so much; they are rapidly crossing to the other shore, but their good works remain. All about us we hear the falling of the trees of the primeval forest and with them are passing their living prototypes, the grand old men and women who grew up with them. The children of the rising generation can never appreciate truly the lives of these old people and the flowers they place upon their graves soon fade, but they should be taught the principles which ruled the lives of these sacred dead that they too may live to be happy and useful men and women.
Elisha JOHNSON was born in Stark county, Ohio, January 15, 1828, being the son of Exum and Alice (PINICK) JOHNSON, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother from Ohio, both Ouakers in religion, and farmers by occupation. Both parents died in the state of Ohio. Our subject was one of nine children, two others of whom are living; James JOHNSON, a farmer of Denver, Colorado, and Charles JOHNSON, a shoe merchant of Hobart, Indiana.
Elisha JOHNSON received a common school education and worked on the farm until the year 1854, when he removed to Howard county, Indiana, arriving there just after the departure of the last Indian across its borders. At this place, in company with his brother, Elijah, he opened up the first saw mill, using the first engine built in Indianapolis by Sinker, the castings being made for it at Madison, Indiana. After his brother's death, Elisha's son was associated with him in the milling trade until the father's retirement in 1903. In 1873 Elisha JOHNSON moved his mill to Clinton county, later moved to Illinois and then again back here after disposing of his business. Mr. Johnson had the contract and built the first school house and Masonic hall at Russiaville.
In that day the presence of liquor in the town of Russiaville was quite a disturbing element. Laws were useless because everyone drank, many to excess, and nobody attempted to stop the traffic. Inevitable, a company of reformers sprang up, and Mr. Johnson was one of the leaders. He hated the sight of intoxicants, and believed that a man once addicted to the drink habit was not beyond help, so he used his every effort to reformation, some of his charges becoming afterwards the best citizens of the town.
. Mr. JOHNSON was married on November 21, 1856, to Sarah E. Hart, of Highland county, Ohio, the daughter of William and Beulah (NORDYKE) HART, natives of Clinton county, Ohio, and farmers all of their lives. She was one of nine children, one other of whom is living, Mrs. Nancy PROCTOR, of Russiaville, Indiana. Mr. Johnson's wife is a member of the Methodist church. Two children were born to our subject and wife: Arthur, who lives in Terre Haute, and has one boy, Omer, in school; and Mrs. Anna PIPPER, of Sunnyvale, California, wife of a fruit grower.
Religiously, Mr. Johnson is a Methodist, although he was born of a Quaker family and taught their faith. He is a member of the Masonic order, and politically has always been a Republican.
Mr. Johnson owns his own home in Frankfort, and is well liked by the people of the city wherein he is spending the evening of his worthy life. His wife is still the same dutiful and faithful helpmeet of days past, and their companionship now, in the calm, after the storm of life, is beautiful and sacred beyond the power of mere words to paint. They stand as a monument for the younger generation to emulate in this prosaic century. Pages 694 695 Source II Transcribed by Connie
JOHNSON, Henry C.
is a prosperous farmer of Union township, Clinton county, Ind.,
of which county he is a native. He was born August 12,
1853, and is the son of Joseph S. and Sarah A (PERRY) JOHNSON,
natives of New Jersey and of Scotch-Irish descent. Joseph
JOHNSON was born November 17, 1806, and when a lad was brought
west by his father, John JOHNSON, to Butler county, Ohio. John
Johnson was a weaver and a farmer, settled in Butler county,
Ohio, and died about the year 1850. He was the father of
six children, all of whom are now deceased, and were named John,
Catherine, Ann, William, Joseph S. and Mary J. The father
of Henry C. JOHNSON learned the trade of weaving with his father,
which trade he followed until 1838, when he came to Clinton
county, Ind., and here entered 160 acres of land, which he had
increased, before his death, October 24, 1890, to 440 acres. The
marriage of Joseph JOHNSON took place in 1836; his wife was born
July 25, 1813, and died in September, 1882. To Joseph Johnson and
first wife were born the following children: Martha, Peter S.,
David, Garrett S., Francis M., Henry C., John F., all living, and
John, William and James, deceased. Henry C. JOHNSON was well
trained to his vocation of agriculture on his father's farm, on
which he resided until October 10, 1875, when he married Miss
Martha McADAMS, who bore him five children, of whom two are
living, viz:(sic?) Leroy B., born September 6, 1879;
and Earley 0., born February 25, 1882. Those deceased were named
Ida, Daisy and Arett. Mr. Johnson took for his second helpmate,
March 15, 1894, Anna CADLE, daughter of James and Francis (AVERY)
CADLE. James CADLE was born in Mercer county, Va. (now
West Virginia), March 4, 1822, and was a son of Nathan and Sarah
(NEDDONS) CADLE. He married Miss Francis AVERY October 10, 1865.
This lady is a daughter of Andrew and Martha (WEST) AVERY,
natives of North Carolina, and was born May 17, 1869. Mr.
JOHNSON is now well located on his farm of seventy acres, enjoys
the esteem of all his neighbors, and with his present bright
prospects before him has much to hope from the future. In
politics he is a stanch democrat. pp.738-739 Source
Transcribed by Chris Brown
JOHNS(T)ON, Nathaniel B.
Born: 25 Dec., 1829 - Clinton Co., Indiana
Married: Sarah McCORD (b:1841 in Mercer CO. PA) 18 Feb 1858 in Marion Twp, Grant Co, WI
Died: 6 June 1906 in Boscobel, Grant Co. Wis
Parents: Daniel and Polly JOHNS(T)ON
Siblings: In the 1830 census (Clinton Co), this family had 8 children, I assume they all died but Nathaniel.
Children: David Walker Johnston b: 1878 (grant CO WIs)
Mary Johns(t)on Smith
Elvira Johns(t)on Wayne b:1860 (Grant Co, WI)
Barbara Johns(t)on Henry
Lena Johns(t)on Steers
Jennie Johns(t)on Appleby
Ethel Johns(t)on Dollie
Note on children: I've added married names on the end and since Nathaniel dropped his "T", I will put that in ( )
Other information: Nathaniel was orphaned in 1832 at the age of three. He was raised by one John BURNS. Nathaniel first shows up on a Petty Court record in Oct 1849, in Clinton Co., when he was fined 1 dollar and 1 day in Jail for petty larceny. By 1852-53 he is in Grant Co Wis.
Source: JOHNSON / JOHNSTON family research files. Rich Johnston
JOHNSON, W. F. was born in Edgar county, Ill., May 31, 1859, the son of W. F. and Margaret (MAYS) JOHNSON, natives respectively of Illinois and Ohio. The father died when the subject of this sketch was scarcely more than a year old, and the widowed mother, with her son and two daughters, continued to reside on the home farm in Illinois until the subject had reached the age of nineteen years, when the family moved to Rush county, Ind., where the mother still resides. W. F. JOHNSON was reared to agricultural pursuits, educated in the public schools and began life for himself as a tiller of the soil in Rush county, where he lived until his removal to Frankfort on the fifteenth of July, 1893. On coming to this city Mr. Johnson purchased an interest in the Porter Bros. livery stable, and: later, became sole proprietor of the business, continuing the same until January of the following year, when his brother-in-law, L. H. KERRICK, became his partner under the firm name of JOHNSON & KERRICK. In 1887 Mr. JOHNSON was united in marriage to Miss Luna KERRICK of Decatur county, Ind. Mr. Johnson has fully demons-trated his abilities as an active and successful business man, and he enjoys a full measure of the confidence and esteem of the public. He is a member of the Masonic order and in every respect a most reputable and praiseworthy gentleman. (This article begins with Johnson &Kerrick ( following Other information ) - ends with information on L. H. KERRICK ..... see KERRICK ) pp. 739-740
J0HNSON & KERRICK .~ Prominent among the successful business men of Frankfort are Messrs. Johnson & Kerrick, proprietors of a large livery barn and sale stable on the corner of Columbia and Washington streets, their place being one of the largest and most extensively patronized of the kind in the city. They do a business second to that of no other livery firm in the county, keep on hand constantly most excellent stock, and in addition to their general livery business, buy and sell horses, in which their success has been of a most gratifying na-ture. Their building is well equipped in all its departments, and their aim has ever been to please the public, and how well they have succeeded is sufficiently attested by the large and constantly increasing patronage which they now enjoy. pp. 739-740 Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Those who are content to lead the much-spoken of "simple life" are, no doubt, happier than any other class. The reasons are too obvious to need much setting forth here. Such people know little of the jar and fret, the contention and strife, the petty jealousies for place and power of those, who choose the great marts of the land for their dwelling places, the latter never really knowing what the word "freedom" means in its broad and literal sense, in fact, they are bound in a kind of slavery that wears the better nature to shreds, then all sorts of unpleasant things follow from which it is hardly possible to flee. Uriah JONES, a plan farmer of Warren township, Clinton county, is a happy man because he has been wise enough to lead the "simple life" next to nature, away from the "harsh, jangled roar" of the city, and he is therefore in his autumn not only contented but healthy, finding plenty to still live for and to do. He was born July 25, 1843, in Dearborn county, Indiana, and he was five years old when he moved to Clinton county with his parents, Thomas and Anna K. (KILE) JONES. Thomas JONES was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, in June, 1805, and his death occurred on September 16, 1869. The mother of our subject was born in Strassburg, Germany and her death occurred at the age of seventy-eight years. She came to America when young and met and married Thomas Jones in Pennsylvania, the date of their wedding being January 10, 1822. The mother was educated in Germany, and was a bright woman, speaking several languages. Thomas Jones devoted his life to general farming. Politically, he was a Democrat. His large family of sixteen children are now all deceased but Uriah, of this sketch.
Uriah JONES grew to manhood on the home farm and there he worked until reaching rnan's estate. He received a limited education in an old-time log school house, but has since become a well-informed man on general topics through home reading. On August 4, 1870, he married Charlotte STODDARD, who was born in Frankfort, Ind., December 29, 1852. She is a daughter of Abram and Catherine (BYERS) STODDARD. These parents were born in Pennsylvania and there grew up and were married, and from there they came to Clinton county, and located in Frankfort, where Mr. Stoddard established a tailor shop, he having been the first tailor there.
To Mr. Jones and wife six children were born, namely: Albert, born May 12, 1872; William B., born April 5 1874; Franklin Pierce, born August 8, 1876; Martin V., born January 12, 1878; Milton Carrol, born April 25, 1882, and Freddie Grover, born September 12, 1884.
Mr. Jones has followed farming all his life. He owns eighty acres in Warren township, most of which is under cultivation. He built his own home and make good improvements and is very comfortably fixed. He keeps Jersey cows and Chester White hogs.
Politically, he is a Democrat, and in religious matters belongs to the Presbyterian church. Pages 639 640. Source II Transcribed by Connie
KEEDY, Henry J.
HENRY J. KEEDY, a well known farmer and stock raiser and prominent resident of Perry township, Clinton was born in Ross county, Ohio, June 9, 1832. John Keedy his grandfather, a native of Germany, married Martha Hinkle, also of German birth, and settled in Baltimore, where he followed the trade of cabinetmaking; later he emigrated to Virginia, settling in Morgan county, where his death occurred. Henry Keedy, son of the above and father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Baltimore, Md., and followed agricultural pursuits for his life work. He married Nancy BAILEY, daughter Of Thomas Bailey, of Virginia, to which state he had previously removed, and afterward became a resident of Ross county, Ohio, where he continued to reside for a period of six years. In 1837 he moved to Clinton county, Ind., and entered an eighty-acre tract of land in Perry township, a part of which is now in possession of the subject of this mention. Henry Keedy was a man of great industry and a successful financier. He accumulated a handsome property, including 200 acres of land, and became one of the best known and popular citizens of the township of Perry. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Protestant church, in which, at different times, he held official positions, and he was chiefly instrumental in establishing a number of local congregations in various parts of the county. The following are the names of the children born to Henry and Nancy Keedy: Hannah M., Elizabeth, George W., Henry J., Matthew T., Sarah J., Harrison, Uriah (deceased), Lucinda R., Margaret; two infants (deceased) also were born to them.
The immediate subject of this mention was reared a farmer, to which useful calling he has since devoted his life, and he came to Clinton county with his parents when but six years of age. He received an education in the old log schoolhouse, common in the pioneer period of Indiana, and began life for himself on attaining his majority as a farmer in Perry township. When he first came to the county the settlements were few and far between, market places were remote, and the present thriving city of Frankfort was a mere hamlet of a few log huts. He remembers when the early settlers were compelled to haul their grain and other produce to La Fayette and Chicago, where they disposed of the same for insignificant prices. He has watched, with interest, the gradual development of the country, and seen Clinton take a prominent place among her sister counties of the state. Mr. Keedy has a fine farm, in the cultivation of which he displays excellent judgment, and he ranks among the best agriculturists of Perry township. Politically, he is a democrat, and as such has been active in behalf of his party's interest in a number of campaigns. In the estimation of his neighbors and friends he stands deservedly high, and few people of Perry township are as widely and favorably known.
William Henry Keedy, well known farmer of the township of Perry, is a native of Clinton county, Ind., and dates his birth from the first day of May, 1855. His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah F. Wolf, has borne him two children--Pearly M., and Ennis Ray. Mr. Keedy is the proprietor of a large, well-tilled farm, and occupies a front rank among the successful self-made men of Clinton county.
Source II Pages 740-741
Transcribed by Chris Brown email@example.com
a wealthy and prominent citizen of Michigantown, Clinton
county, Ind., and one of the oldest settlers, is of sterling
Irish descent. His grandfather, James, came to America anterior
to the Revolution. At the outbreak of that heroic struggle
he cheerfully forsook his farm, and for eight years bore arms
against Albion, the perfidious, in the war for American
independence; when the war of 1812 was declared, his patriotic
blood was again aroused and he was among the first to volunteer
in the defense of his adopted country, and died in battle in 1813.
His son, David, was but six years old when he lost his father,
and, according to the law of the time, was bound out, and learned
the baker's trade in Cincinnati, Ohio, then a backwoods village,
composed of a few log cabins. After completing his
apprenticeship, he married Nancy, the daughter of John and
Elizabeth (SHAFFER) WHITEMAN, of Virginia, and of English descent.
In 1829 Mr. Kelly came to Indiana and settled in what is now
Clinton county, which he later assisted in organizing. To
the union of David and Nancy KELLY were born eleven children, viz:
James, Catherine, Henry, Elizabeth, Rebecca, John Jacob, William,
Mary, and two that died in infancy. James KELLY, the subject
proper of this sketch. was the seventh child born in Clinton
county, and the third in Michigan township. His birth took place
August 6, 1832, and this township has been his residence until
the present hour. He was reared on his father's homestead
and farming has been his vocation ever since. His education
was acquired at one of the most primitive of log schoolhouses, an
uncouth structure as compared with the modern brick of today.
It had a clapboard door, a puncheon floor and greased paper for
window-lights, together with rude slabs for seats. A huge
fireplace occupied one end of the room, the chimney being
constructed from mud and sticks. They burned small saw-logs
in this fire-place-some five or six feet in length and a foot and
a half in diameter, which it took all the large boys all the noon
to roll on the fire. The master made the pens from the
quill of a goose, and this was one of his principal tasks, as the
old pioneer fathers insisted that their children should all write
well. The teacher boarded around from house to house, not having
any permanent abiding place. July 25, 1858, Mr. KELLY
married Miss Sarah, daughter of James and Jane SCOTT - early
settlers and prominent residents of the township. In 1859,
Mr. Kelly settled on his present farm, comprising 270 acres, to
which he has largely added and which he has so improved as to
make it unexcelled by any other in the county. The children
born to Mr. KELLY by his wife Sarah were named Thomas J., John S.,
James S., and India M. Mrs. Kelly died on December 24, 1869,
and May 25, 1871, Mr. KELLY married Christina J. FISHER,
daughter of David and Christina (SHIELDS) FISHER, and by
this marriage the following children have been born: William D.,
Laura J., Ellis 0., Daisey M., Omer T., Arta R. Mr. and Mrs.
Kelly are members of the Christian church, and in
politics he is a populist. pages 741-742.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
KELLY, William was born in Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., February 6, 1846, and his ancestral history will be found in the biography of his eldest brother, James Kelly, printed in conjunction with this notice. William KELLY first married Eunice B. LAYTON, daughter of Israel and Sarah (GRANT) LAYTON. Mrs. Layton was a distant relative of Gen. Grant, and Mr. Layton came from Pennsylvania, located first in Ohio and then came to Clinton county, Ind., where he followed his vocation as farmer. The children born to William and Eunice B. Kelly were named Alvin U., Lois D., Iva A., Nora G., Perry L., Clara K. and Arthur D. Mrs. Kelly had been a schoolteacher, and had also taught Sabbath-school in the Baptist church, in the faith of which she died March 18, 1879. The second marriage of Mr. Kelly was with Amanda M. LANDIS, daughter of Samuel LANDIS, a farmer from Pennsylvania. Mrs. Amanda M. KELLY bore her husband two children--Charles and Mattie -- the latter dying at the age of five. Mrs. Kelly died in the Lutheran faith August 24, 1887. Mr. Kelly chose for his third wife Mrs. Rachel PHILIPPE, widow of George Philippe, and daughter of Jeremiah and Malinda SNIDER. This lady is a member of the Methodist church, while Mr. Kelly is a member of the Northwestern Adventists' church, He is a strong republican in politics, and fraternally, he is a member of Herman lodge, No. 184, F. & A. M.; Clinton lodge, No. 163, 1. 0. 0. F., in which he has passed all the chairs; Rubicon lodge, No. 340, K. of P., and of the Grange and the Horse-thief detectives. His farm of eighty-three acres is one of the best of its size in the township or county. It is well stocked with all kinds of farm machinery, and he has erected a modern farm residence, and a barn 66x40 feet, with a stone foundation, forming a basement for horses and cattle. The farm is finely situated on the Frankfort and Michigantown turnpike. He is a public-spirited gentleman and a great advocate of advanced education. Page 742. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
KEMPF, Andrew B.
ANDREW B. KEMPF, son of George L. and Sarah Jane Kempf, and senior member of the firm of Kempf Bros., proprietors of the leading bakery and restaurant of Frankfort, was born December 29, 1850, in Clinton county, Ind. When he was six years old, his parents removed to Frankfort, in the schools of which he pursued his studies until his sixteenth year, and then accepted a position in the grocery business with his father, and was thus employed until 1870. From the latter year until 1872. He managed a boot and shoe store in Frankfort for Mr. Ki HOOVER, and from the latter year to 1876 was employed by his father in the milling business. In 1876 Mr. Kempf engaged in his recent business and, as already stated, is now one of the proprietors of one of the largest and best equipped bakeries and restaurants of Frankfort, and his success ever since embarking in the enterprise has been most encouraging and fully up to his expectations. The place of business is on west Washington street, a short distance from the public square, and by carefully studying the wants of the public and sparing no pains or expense in meeting the same, he has succeeded in building up a very extensive business, which is constantly increasing. As a business man, Mr. Kempf has been directed and controlled by wise forethought, and success, such as few attain in a much longer career, has attended his efforts. He was married in 1873 to Miss Julia MILANI of Frankfort, which union has been blessed by the birth of two daughters: Lizzie and June. Politically Mr. Kempf is a republican and as such was elected to represent his ward in the common council of Frankfort in May 1894. Since becoming a member of that body, Mr. Kempf has been active in promoting important municipal legislation and is proving himself a true guardian of the interests of the people. He is a member of the Presbyterian church and belongs to the Pythian order, in the latter of which he is an honest and enthusiastic worker. pp 743-744 Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
KEMPF, George Leonard
was born in the grand dukedom of Hesse-Darmstadt Germany, May 6,
1823. His parents were Andrew and Barbara (KEIL) KEMPF, both
natives of the above country, where the father died in 1850 at
the age of sixty-eight years. He was a freeholder and for many
years was engaged in the manufacture of flour, but at the time of
his death was practically retired from business. Mrs. Kempf came
to America with her son John in 1852, and died at the home of the
subject of this sketch in Clinton county, two months after her
arrival in the United States, aged seventy-three years. Andrew
and Barbara KEMPF were the parents of thirteen children, all
deceased except George L. two of the sons and two of the
daughters came to the United States, and the rest died in their
George Leonard KEMPF gained a fairly good education in Germany, and, like his father, early became a manufacturer of flour. For seven years prior to coming to the United States Mr. Kempf was engaged in selling flour and grain, and did a fairly remunerative business. In 1848 he came to America, landing in New York on the twenty-third day of May of that year, and after a brief sojourn in that city went direct to Pittsburg, Pa., where he spent a little less than a year among friends, who had previously come from the old country. From Pittsburg he went to Cincinnati, thence to Springfield, Ohio, where he remained about one year, spending the greater part of the interim in a flouring mill. Mr. Kempf's next move was via the Erie canal to La Fayette, Ind., where he remained but a few days, owing to his inability to secure employment; then came to Clinton county, Ind., and accepted a position in a flouring mill, about three miles north of Frankfort, operated by a Mr. BEYERS. Later he started a new mill for Mr. Beyers, and remained with that gentleman in the capacity of miller about one year. On the nineteenth of February, 1850. Mr. Kempf was united in marriage to Sarah Jane GRAY, daughter of John and Sarah GRAY, and about six months thereafter moved to Wyandotte, Tippecanoe county, where, for a period of about six months he had charge of a large flouring mill. Severing his connection with his employer, Mr. Kempf next purchased a mill near Rossville, which he operated five years, and afterward exchanged the property for a mill near Frankfort, which be ran very successfully for a period of fifteen years, it being the first mill of the kind in the vicinity of Frankfort. He operated it first by water, and afterward supplied machinery by which steam could be used as motive power. In the meantime, Mr. Kempf embarked in the grocery business at Frankfort, and for a number of years did a fairly successful trade with a miscellaneous assortment of merchandise, except dry-goods, closing his career as a merchant in 1870. During the war he was largely engaged in handling livestock, packing pork, etc., and shipping the same to the eastern markets. In 1870, he erected a large flouring mill in the western part of Frankfort, on the Vandalia railroad, which he operated for ten years, disposing of his interest at the end of that time on account of failing health and practically retiring from business life.
By reference to the foregoing facts, it will be seen that Mr. KEMPF has had a very active career, and, like the majority of men, he has had his successes and met with about the usual number of financial reverses. He owns a comfortable home on West Clinton Street, and while not wealthy in the sense in which the term is usually understood. is possessed of sufficient means to enable him to spend his remaining days in comfort, owing no debts and being no one's creditor. He is a faithful member of the Presbyterian church, of which his wife, a most faithful companion and kind mother, is also a communicant. They have the following children: Andrew B., William L., Dora B., Fanny and Ella. Pages 742-743. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
KENT, James V. ,
ex-state senator, a lawyer of more than local fame, with
residence at Frankfort, Ind., was born May 29, 1847, within the
limits of Clinton county Ind., and is a son of George A. and
Sarah (BOYLE) KENT, the former of whom was born in Connecticut,
in 1819, and was a son of Anson and Lucinda (STARKWEATHER) KENT,
In 1832 Anson Kent came to Clinton county, Ind., located near
Michigantown, and was of great assistance in pushing the state
road through the woods. He was there engaged in agriculture until
his death, in 1846, on a farm of 160 acres, of which he was the
owner. His widow survived until a good old age, when she died in
the state of Iowa, in 1864, at the home of a daughter. George A.
KENT was reared a farmer, and at the age of twenty-five years
married and engaged in farming in Johnson township, Clinton
county, on a farm of 160 acres, which he had entered on his first
arrival, and here he died in March, 1859. His widow, Sarah A.,
now residing with her son, James V., is a daughter of William and
Anna (VENCIL) BOYLE, natives of Virginia, who early settled in
Clinton county, Ind where they passed away their remaining years
in peace and comfort. Their eight children are named Byron, a
farmer of Nebraska; William, of White county, Ind. Hon. James V.;
Mary B., deceased; Martha J., wife of John D. Frazier, attorney
of Burlington, Kas.; Emma L., married to D. P. DOW, of Nebraska;
Minerva A., wife of William JENKINS, Clinton county, Ind.; and
Adrian B., a farmer of Clinton county, Ind.
James V. Kent received a very good public school education. In 1864 he entered the Lebanon Presbyterian academy for one term; in 1865 studied one term in Dayton, Ind.; when but seventeen years of age he commenced teaching, and for fourteen terms was a pedagogue. At the age of twenty, however, he began the study of law under Morrison & Palmer and read until 1867. In 1869 he opened an office in Michigantown, Ind., and in 1870 was elected district attorney for Boone and Clinton counties by the democratic party, of which he is one of the stanchest adherents. The district at that time was strongly republican, but Mr. Kent was so very popular that he was elected by 388 majority. He then took up his permanent residence in Frankfort. In 1872 he was candidate for the office of prosecuting attorney, but although he ran far ahead of his ticket, the stronger republican faction succeeded in defeating him. About this time he was in the active practice of his profession in partnership with D. S. HOLMAN and the Hon. H. Y. MORRISON, but a year later he withdrew from this firm and joined the Hon. Leander McCLURG in a law partnership, hut this firm was dissolved ten years later. In 1876 Mr. Kent was elected to the state senate over the Hon. Perry W. GARD republican. At that time Mr. Kent was the youngest member of the honorable body to which he had been elected, but he performed the duties of the responsible position with as much tact and wisdom as were manifested by the most venerable senators, and became, in fact, a leader and a decided factor in controlling legislative affairs and legislative action.
The marriage of Judge KENT took place May 8, 1873, in Frankfort, with Miss Jannett E. STEELE, a native of the city, born November 27, 1853, and a daughter of Joseph K. and Mary A. (SHORTLE) STEELE, natives, respectively of North Carolina and Virginia. This union has been blessed by the birth of three children, viz Ada M., Cora J., and Frederick S., of whom the last named is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Kent are sincere members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of the Sunday-school of which Mr. Kent has been a teacher of the same class for over twenty-three years. Theology, also. has been a favorite study of his for at least twenty-five years, and his profundity in both theology and legal lore are seemingly equal. In his capacity as a jurist he has been appointed special judge to preside over what is known as the Paris case, quite a famous bank embezzlement trial at Frankfort, in September, 1894. Fraternally, Judge Kent is a bright Mason; is a K. of P. and a member of the I. 0. R. M. At one time he was an Odd Fellow, but does not now affiliate with that fraternity. At the early age of twenty-two he was made vice-grand of his lodge in the latter order, and was elevated to this office the night after his initiation. He was only twenty-two, likewise, when he represented his lodge in the grand at Indianapolis. Mr. Kent is in a substantial condition, financially speaking, owning, as he does, much valuable property in the city of Frankfort and farms inside the limits of Clinton county. Pages 744-745. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
The life history of the subject of this sketch si such as to warrant praise and commendation. By honest dealings and happy co-operation with his fellow men Mr. Kern has guaranteed a comfortable living to himself the rest of his days on earth. The man is indeed fortunate who has done so. Besides his interest in agriculture, Mr. Kern has been versatile enough to make a success of other vocations, at present being connected with one of the largest interurban systems in the United States.
Bert Kern was born in Jackson township, Clinton county, on December 28, 1867, and was the son of A. D. and Sarah (YOUNG) KERN. The father was born in the year 1840 in Boone county and lives in Clinton county with our subject. During his life he was a farmer and breeder of shorthorn cattle. He still is active in the interests of the farm. The mother was born in Clinton county in 1843, and she passed from this life on February 18, 1910. Both parents had a common school education. Four children were born to them: Edward (deceased), D. S., Bert and Charles.
Bert Kern received a common school education nad (sic) made his early start on the farm. Until 1903 agriculture was the field of his endeavors, and then he went to work for the Indiana Traction Railway, holding the position of sub-station operator. He was later promoted to sub-station foreman, and as such he still is making good. He owns twenty-six acres of fertile and well tiled land here in this county, and besides general farming thereon he is raising Chester White hogs. The home on the estate was built by our subject.
On October 27, 1888, he was married to Minnie B. DAVIDSON, who was born December 12, 1870, the daughter of William and Lucinda (PRICE) DAVIDSON. One child has been born to them, Alta B., born January 3, 1890. She married Carl HUTCHINSON, and they live near our subject.
Religiously, Mr. Kern is a member of the Christian church, and in political affairs is a Democrat. Although he has never run for office he takes as much part in political activities as his other duties, which he considers paramount, will allow. Pages 554 555 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
KERRICK, L. H. , junior member of the firm of JOHNSON & KERRICK, is an Indianian by birth and a native of the county of Decatur. He was born October 26, 1874, the son of Nimrod and Sarah Ann(HUMPHREY) KERRICK, highly respectable citizens of Decatur county, and grew to manhood amid the active scenes of farm life. Mr. KERRICK remained with his father, who is one of the most extensive and successful farmers of the county of Decatur, until 1894, in January of which year he came to Frankfort, and, as already stated, purchased an interest in the livery business with which he is now identified. He is well qualified to conduct the business to which his attention is now being devoted, and since becoming a resident of Frankfort has won a conspicuous place in the estimation of its citizens. pp. 739-740. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown (Note: This bio is at the end of an article on JOHNSON & KERRICK. I have split the article to enter the Kerrick bio.- C.R.)
Siblings: Luna KERRICK, wife of W. F. JOHNSON
Other information: See article on W. F. JOHNSON.
KESTERSON, William H.
One of Clinton county's most substantial and highly respected farmers is William H. KESTERSON, now living retired at his picturesque home in Jefferson township, after a long life of close work and excellent management on the farm, his place there being one of the choice and valuable farms of that section of the county. His residence of a score of years, here has been such as to bring to him the good will and esteem of his neighbors, for be has not only been industrious but public spirited and honorable in his dealings with his fellow men. His record in Tippecanoe county, where he lived for some time, is equally good. Prior to that he lived in Hamilton county, where he was born on January 7, 1846, but left there when a boy for Tippecanoe county, where he remained until about twenty years ago. He also lived in Iowa a few years when a boy, also in Illinois.
Mr. Kesterson is a son of Thomas and Susan (NORWOOD) KESTERSON. The father was a native of Tennessee, from which state he came to Hamilton county, Indiana, when a voting man and there married. The mother of our subject was born in Hamilton county, this state. These parents spent their lives on a farm, and were honest, hard working people. Six children were born to them, four of whom are still living. Thomas Kesterson was twice married. His children were named Mary E., who is now deceased; Spicy M., George, William H., our subject; Lousina (deceased), and Delphina.
William H. Kesterson grew to manhood on the borne farm and he received a good common school education, mostly in Tippecanoe county and partly in Iowa, where he lived for four years. At Lafayette, in the fall of 1864, he enlisted as a recruit in the Seventy-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company E. mounted infantry, under Captain Mahon, and although he saw considerable service he was in no very important engagements. He was with the troops in Alabama and Georgia, going as far as the city of Macon.
Mr. Kesterson was married on November 12, 1858, to Lillian DOUGLAS, who was born on October 9, 1858, in Clinton county, Indiana. She is a daughter of Morland and Jane (CRAIG) DOUGLAS, both natives of Ireland, where they spent their earlier years, emigrating to America in an early day and here became well established through their industry. Mrs. Kesterson grew to womanhood in Clinton county and here received a common school education.
Seven children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Thomas, born November 23, 1869: Van, born January 31, 1871, (deceased); Anna J., born June 27, 1872; Frank, born December 1, 1874, Mattie, born March 6, 1878; George S., born February 6, 1880; Herman, born March 28, 1882.
Mr. Kesterson began farming when a young man and made this his life work. He owned a finely improved and productive place of three hnudred (sic) and twenty-four acres, all tillable but about twenty acres, which is in timber. It is well tiled and otherwise well improved and is one of the best farms of Jackson township. He carried on general farming on a large scale, and is still engaged somewhat in stock raising, formerly specializing in shorthorn cattle, and now he makes a specialty of Red Poll cows, Jersey hogs, Shire and Clydesdale horses. He understands well the handling of all kinds of live stock and no small part of his competency has been obtained in this manner.
He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, is a Progressive in politics, leaning to the Republican party, however Religiously, he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church.
Our subject's son, George S. Kesterson, enlisted for service in the Spanish-American war on September 18, 1899, at Frankfort in Company A, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Captain William H. Collier. He was sent to St. Louis, where the company remained until October 20th of that year, then went by rail to San Francisco, leaving that city in November on a transport to Philippine Islands, by way of Honolulu, landing in the city of Manila in December, 1899. From there the company was sent to Datangus, where it did guard duty, having a few skirmishes and remaining there until 1900. Then they were sent to Iloili remaining there until 1901 on guard duty, and having several skirmishes. These troops were then ordered to San Francisco and were mustered out on June 30, 1901, in that city. Young Kesterson's experiences abroad were of much value to him and he talks interestingly of them. Pages 558 560 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
KEYS, James S. is
a native of Indiana and was born August 30, 1836, in the county
of Clinton. His father, Joseph Keys was born in Delaware, of
ScotchIrish parentage, and was married in that state to Ann
SPARKS, soon after which he emigrated to Ohio, where he was
engaged in agricultural pursuits until his removal to Indiana in
1835. On coming to the Hoosier state Joseph Keys located in
Montgomery county, where he remained three years, at the end of
which time he became a resident of the county of Clinton,
locating first in Washington township and later moving to what is
now Center township, where he departed this life in the year 1860.
Mrs. Keys died in 1850 and is remembered as a woman of many
excellent traits of character. To Joseph and Ann KEYS were born
eight children, whose names are as follows: Rachel, wife of Wm.
OSTLER; John, a resident of Boone county: Benjamin, who resides
at Frankfort; Rebecca, widow of John FRUITS, of Waynetown, Ind.,
Thomas, a citizen of Frankfort, James S., whose name introduces
this sketch, Mary, deceased, and Job, who lives in the town of
Enterprise, Kan. Joseph Keys was a man well respected by all who
knew him, a democrat in politics, and while not as successful as
some in the accumulation of worldly wealth, accumulated a
moderate competence and always endeavored to set an example for
his children worthy of imitation.
James S. Keys was educated in the schools of Clinton county, and on his father's farm early became inured to honest labor, in the dignity of which he has ever been a true believer and which has been his motto throughout life. He remained under the parental roof until the breaking out of the rebellion, when, actuated by the spirit of patriotism which fired the heart of the country, he laid aside the peaceful pursuits of the farm and proffered his services for the defense of the national honor, enlisting in 1862, in company K, Seventy-second Indiana volunteer infantry, with which he shared the fortunes and vicissitudes of war for three years. During his period of service Mr. Keys took part in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged and nobly earned the reputation of a gallant soldier, who did his whole duty and never shrank from or shirked a responsibility, however dangerous. After his discharge Mr. Keys returned to Clinton county and accepted a clerkship in a grocery house at Frankfort, where for a period of twenty-four years he remained in the employ of a single firm, which fact is certainly a very strong testimonial of his honesty and efficiency as a salesman and successful business man. Severing his connection with the grocery business, Mr. Keys next engaged in buying and selling poultry and produce, which he has since continued and in which line of trade he has met with the most encouraging success, his sales at this time averaging over $12,000 a year. In business matters he is painstaking and methodical, and his reputation as a dealer is strictly first-class, and he is rated among the substantial and well-to-do men of Frankfort. Mr. Keys is a prominent member of the G. A. R., in the deliberations of which he takes an active interest, and in politics is a supporter of the republican party. He was married August 16, 1870, in Frankfort, to Miss Elizabeth AUGHE, a native of Clinton county, Ind,, born April 6, 1843, and the union has been blessed with one child, Walter L., whose birth occurred on the seventeenth day of November, 1871. Walter L. Keys is one of the popular young men of Frankfort, a graduate of the city schools, and at this time holds the position of captain of the local organization, Sons of Veterans. The social standing of Mr. Keys and family is an enjoyable one, and one, indeed, of which he may well feel proud.
Pages 746-751 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
KEYS, Joseph W.
proprietor of the bottling works of Frankfort, was born in
Clinton county, Ind., March 25, 1860 and is a son of Thomas P.
and Martha F (FURGESON) KEYS. Thomas Keys is a native of
Montgomery county, Ind., and a son of Joseph Keys, who moved from
Maryland, in an early day, and became one of the pioneers of the
county of Montgomery. The Keys family is of English origin, and
several of the name came to the United States a great many years
ago and settled in Maryland, where descendants are still to be
met with. Thomas Keys, the subject's father, was a soldier in the
late war, enlisting August 6, 1862, in company I, One-Hundredth
Indiana infantry, with which he served until honorably discharged
at Indianapolis on the twenty-third of June, 1865. He shared the
vicissitudes and fortunes of war in a number of battles, twenty-eight
in all, and nobly did his part as a defender of the flag in the
dark days when treason threatened to disrupt the country.
Joseph W. Keys is one of six children and was educated in the schools of Frankfort, where he made commendable progress as a student. At the early age of thirteen, he began the battle of life upon his own responsibility, accepting a clerkship in a business house of Frankfort, in which capacity he continued with varying success until after attaining his majority. His first independent business venture was as a poultry dealer in Alton, Ill., which he conducted for about six months, and in the fall of 1890 purchased the bottling works of E. H. Whittaker, At that time a small affair, but which under his successful management has since become one of the most extensive establishments of the kind in central Indiana. As a business man, he has nobly earned the success which he now enjoys and has built up a trade in his line second to but few enterprises in Frankfort. The output of his works has a large sale throughout Indiana, and the superior quality of his goods has earned for him a reputation extending beyond the limits of the state. Mr. KEYS was united in marriage September 16, 1891, to Miss Nellie TAYLOR of Logansport. He is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and also of the I. 0. R. M., in the deliberations of both of which fraternities he is a potent factor. Pages 751-752. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
KRAMER, William B. , Sr.
The following is a brief sketch of a man who, by assiduous attention to his business affairs, has achieved success among his fellows and has risen to an honorable position in the city where his interests are located. His record is plain, unadorned by strange or unusual incident, or dramatic episode, but is one of his accomplishments. William B. KRAMER is one of those estimable characters whose honestly and personality force them into notoriety of estimable form, which their modesty does not court, but which their good nature does not resent. Mr. Kramer occupies an enviable position in Frankfort, by reason of his character and his material interest in the affairs of his townsmen.
Mr. KRAMER was born in Frederick county, Maryland, January 31, 1836, the son of Frederick William and Margaret (SCHOBL) KRAMER. Frederick Kramer was a native of Maryland, and descended from good German stock, his father having come to this country in 1769 front Berlin, Prussia. He served valiantly in the Revolutionary war under General George Washington and left service at Valley Forge on account of frozen feet. He died in Frederick's county, Maryland. Frederick KRAMER was the father of thirteen children, a typical pioneer family. These were: Sarah (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), John A. (deceased), William B., Daniel (deceased), Anna M. (deceased), Phillip E. (deceased), James T. (deceased), Franklin B. (deceased), Mary C., Alice C., Lewis N., and Virginia.
William KRAMER was educated in the common schools of Maryland, and after leaving them, took up farming, which occupation he followed until the year of 1873, when he moved to Clinton county. Here he went into the planing mill and lumber business as a member of the firm known as Kramer Bros., and in 1903 this firm was incorporated with William Kramer at the head of the enterprise. It is now known as Kramer Bros. Co., and continues to do a thriving business.
In 1860, Mr. KRAMER married Elizabeth TRUNDLE, the daughter of John C. and Elizabeth (HAYS) TRUNDLE. Her parents were natives of Maryland, Frederick county, spending their entire lives in this state. Six children, John F., Samuel B., William B., Nellie, Rowland and Bertha Leuelle, have been born of this union. Mr. Kramer was forced to suffer the loss of his wife in death in the year 1909.
So far Mr. Kramer has not held any political or public offices, but contributes his services to the Democratic party. Mr. Kramer is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the Knights Templar. At one time he was a member of the state grand lodge of the latter order. Pages 716 & 717. Source II Transcribed by Connie
JONAS KRESSEL is one of the enterprising citizens of Madison township, Clinton county, Ind., who takes an active and commendable interest in every thing pertaining to its welfare. He was born in Lehigh county, Pa., October 25, 1830, and is a son of Henry and Catherine (HERBER) KRESSEL. both of whom were natives of the same county, and were of German lineage. The father was born in 1801, and during his youth started out in life for himself, scorning no labor which would afford him an honest livelihood. As soon as he had acquired a sufficient capital he purchased a small farm, which he would cultivate during the summer season, while in the winter months he engaged in weaving. He lived in Lehigh county until his death, which occurred in 1876. His wife passed away at the advanced age of eighty-five. This worthy couple were the parents of seven children, but only two are now living: Jonas and Owen, the latter a farmer residing near Sedalia, Ind. Those deceased are: Caroline, Julia A., Daniel, Solomon and Joseph. Jonas Kressel continued on the old homestead until eighteen years of age, when he left home to learn the trade of carpentering under his cousin, Nathan Kressel, with whom he continued for more than two years. In 1856, he began taking contracts for himself. He has been a resident of Clinton county since April, 1854, and here he successfully carried on business as a contractor and builder until 1880. He made his first purchase of land in 1856, becoming owner of six acres. He now owns 160 acres of well improved land, the greater part of which he has improved himself, He carried on farming and stock raising for some time, but is now living retired.
On the eighteenth of May, 1856, Mr. Kressel married Fianna Martz, daughter of John and Leah (MERKEL) MARTZ. Her father came to this county in an early day and here remained until his death. His family numbered six children. Mr. and Mrs. Kressel have one child, John H., who was born June 16, 1869, and now operates his father's farm. The parents are both members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Kressel served as deacon for many years, and is now elder of the church in Mulberry. In politics he is a democrat. In 1888, he was elected trustee, and in 1890, was re-elected, holding the office therefore for four years. He is true to every trust reposed in him, whether public or private; is an honorable upright man, and his well spent life has gained him the confidence and regard of the entire community. It will be observed that these brothers, Jonas and Owen, spell their name differently, to-wit, Kressel and Kressley. The surname of the mother is also spelled differently.
Source II Pages 755-756
Transcribed by Chris Brown
OWEN KRESSLEY is successfully engaged in farming in Owen township, Clinton county, Ind. He is recognized as one of the leading citizens of the community, and is an honored veteran of the late war. The family was founded in America by his grandfather, who emigrated from Germany to Lehigh county, Pa., where the father, Henry Kressley was born. The latter married Catherine HARPER and they had six children-Caroline, Jonas, Daniel, Julia A., Owen and Solomon. The parents belong to the Lutheran church, and Mr. Kressley was a whig until the breaking out of the late War, when he became a democrat. His death occurred at the age of seventy-two, and his wife died at the age of eighty-three.
Owen Kressley was born in the Keystone state, May 23, 1835, was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, and at the age of nineteen left home to visit his brother in this county. In 1856, on attaining his majority, he led to the marriage altar Miss Sarah E. Mink, who was born November 23, 1840, and is a daughter of Joseph and Leah (SMITH) MINK. They began their domestic life upon her father's farm, where they lived until 1864, when they came to their present place of residence. Their home has been blessed with fifteen children-Henry J., Levi F., Ben F,. Jonas W., Jeremiah C., Irvin C., Monroe E., James M., Sarah Ann E., Amanda E., Josiah I., Martha M., John A., Charles W., and Leah B. The family circle yet remains unbroken.
In 1864 Mr. and Mrs. Kressley received from her father eighty acres of timber land, which the husband at once began to clear and improve The fields are now well tilled and the place is neat and thrifty in appearance, indicating to the passer-by his careful supervision. There is a good house, also barns, a thrifty orchard and much small fruit. The place is pleasantly located a mile and a half from Sedalia, and eleven miles from Sedalia, and eleven miles from Frankfort, so the comforts and privileges of the town are easily obtained.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Kressley are members of the Lutheran church, and in the community where they live they are held in high regard. Mr. Kressley has served as supervisor. During the late war he manifested his loyalty to the government by enlisting, in 1865, as a member of company E, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Indiana infantry, under Captain Scott. They went to Virginia, where they did guard and picket duty, and in August, 1865, they were mustered out, the war having closed.
Mr., Kressley is a public-spirited citizen, who manifests the same fidelity
in days of peace as when he joined the boys in blue.
pages 756-757 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
KUHNS, Peter J.
The KUHNS family has long been noted for its thrift courage and no better farmers are to be found in Clinton county, for they believe in doing well whatever they undertake, so we will find their fields clean of weeds, sprouts and unnecessary trees, the same fields being well fenced, well tiled and in every way strictly up-to-date, also their farming machinery is properly kept, housed in good shelters, and their barns keep out the cold and rain from their stock in winter. Their homes are models for cleanliness and wholesomeness.
Among the best known of the present generation of this highly respected family is Peter J. KUHNS, of Ross township. He was born on the old Kuhns homestead in the above named township and county, May 9, 1861, at the beginning of the fierce struggle between the North and South in the greatest civil war of history. He is a son of Samuel and Susan (RUCH) KUHNS, a complete sketch of whom appears on another page of this volume.
Peter J. Kuhns was reared on the home farm and educated in the rural schools, and he remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age. He worked for his father and others at farm work, saved his money and thereby got a start in life and was finally able to purchase the excellent farm of one hundred and forty acres in Ross township where he now lives. He has brought it up to a high state of improvement and cultivation. He remodeled the house, now having a conveniently arranged ten-roomed dwelling, as well as a good barn and other outbuildings. He carries on general farming and stock raising successfully.
Mr. KUHNS was married in 1890 to Martha J. MICHAEL, a daughter of Jacob MICHAEL, a native of Virginia and a soldier in the Civil war, having cast his fortunes with the Confederate army. His wife was Louise (GRANGER) MICHAEL, a native of Germany. They are both deceased. The father devoted his life to farming. Politically he was a Democrat, and he belonged to the Lutheran church. His family consisted of three children, namely: George, Harrison and Martha
Two sons and five daughters have been born to Peter J. KUHNS and wife: Mabel G., Lena Irene and Hazel L., all graduates of the high school at Rossville; Russell S. now a student in the high school; Lucile also attending the high school at Rossville; Frederick J. and Thelma G.
Mr. Kuhns is a Republican in politics. He and his family are all Lutherans and are workers in the church and Sunday school. Pages 866 867 Source II Transcribed by Connie
Clinton county, Indiana owes a debt of gratitude to the old Keystone state which it can never repay, for in going over the personal biographies of the residents of the county we note that the majority of our early settlers have come from Pennsylvania, many of them of the thrifty Dutch and German strains. It is useless to comment upon the industry, frugality and steady habits of these peoples, for such characteristics are well know to all. Therefore Clinton county has gained while the good old state "back East" has been the loser.
One of the best examples of the above named class is Phaon Kuhns, prosperous farmer of Washington township, a man whom his neighbors will tell you lives by the Golden Rule. He was born in Lehigh county, Penn., October 18, 1840. He is a son of Joseph KUHNS, a farmer, who was also noted for his thrift and honesty. The mother of our subject was known in her maidenhood as Julia LICHTENWALTER, also a native of the above named county and state, and also of an old German family. These parents grew up, married and spent their lives on a farm in Lehigh county. To them twelve children were born.
Phaon KUHNS grew to manhood on the home farm where he was taught to work, effectively and systematically, and received his education in the old school house in his neighborhood. During the Civil war, when twenty-three years old he came to Clinton county. Liking the country and having the foresight to know that it would eventually develop into a great agricultural section, he decided to cast his lot permanently in Clinton county. He was married here on September 28, 1868 to Mary ROTHENBERGER, who proved to be a most suitable and helpful companion. They worked hard, economized, planned well and soon had a comfortable home and a good farm. He thinks one-half of his property has been obtained through her assistance. She was born in Tippecanoe county, Ind., and is a daughter of George ROTHENBERGER, who died at the age of seventy years. The mother died at the age of eighty-four years. Eight children were born to them, three sons and five daughters. The father was a trustee in the German Reformed church.
After his marriage Mr. Kuhns purchased eighty acres of land which he cleared and improved; then bought fifty acres more which he also cleared and improved, and after that purchased eighty-seven more. His present finely improved farm of two hundred and eighteen acres is one of the most productive and desirable in Washington township and here he carries on general farming and stock raising on an extensive scale, always keeping a good grade of live stock. He has a substantial eight-roomed house, surrounded by an abundance of shade trees. He has a large barn and other good outbuildings and everything in good shape about the place, which lies four miles from Frankfort.
Mr. Kuhns has one child, a daughter, Sunia C., now the wife of W. H. GOOD who lives in Ross township. They have three children, Marvin, Ada and Wilner. Another daughter of our subject, Elsie, died when eleven years old.
Politically, Mr. Kuhn is a Democrat, however he votes for the best man locally, and has supported Judge Claybaugh, who is a good friend of his. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. Pages 874 876 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
KYGER, Samuel a well
-- known farmer and stock raiser of Union township, Clinton
county, Ind., was born in Rockingham county, Va. April 21, 1824
and is a son of George and Sarah (PENCE) KYGER. They, too, were
natives of Virginia, and were of German descent. The father was
born in 1799, and was a farmer by occupation. Emigrating westward
in 1836, he located in Delaware county, Ind., where he purchased
160 acres of land, but was not long permitted to enjoy his new
home, his death occurring in 1837. His wife, who was born in 1801,
died in 1871. In 1839 she was married to Charles PENCE, who died
in 1870. By her first marriage she had three children - Margaret,
wife of James CATTERLIN; Samuel; and Catherine, wife of Cyrus P.
PENCE. By the second union was born one child, Charles Pence. The
Kyger family was founded in America by Christian KYGER, the great-grandfather
of our subject, who emigrated from Germany, his native land, and
settled in Rockingham county, Va. His son, Frederick, was born in
Virginia and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed
throughout his entire life. He reared a family of ten children
and died in 1827. The paternal grandfather, George Pence, was
also born in the 0ld Dominion, and there departed this life in
Samuel Kyger was only thirteen years of age at the time of his father's death. He remained with his mother until the age of sixteen, when he began learning the tanner's trade, at which he served a five years' apprenticeship with Charles M. Petty. He then worked as a journeyman for three years, after which he went to Kilmore and established a tannery, which he carried on for three years. In 1857 he purchased a farm of 211 acres and thereon established a tannery, which he operated for twelve years. He has since given his time and attention to farming and stock raising. He imported the first Norman horse ever brought to the county, and in connection with the breeding of fine horses has been extensively engaged in the raising of Chester White hogs, of which he has made a specialty for thirty-seven years.
On the twenty-sixth of November, 1847, Mr. KYGER wedded Nancy J., daughter of John and Judith (AUGHE) PENCE. Her death occurred January 30. 1848, and on the eighth of April, 1851, he was again married, his second union being with Elizabeth A. PENCE, a cousin of his first wife and a daughter of William and Sarah (FUDGE) PENCE. Her parents were both natives of Virginia, and came of old German families. On leaving his native state the father went to Ohio, and thence came to Clinton county, where he was one of the early settlers. To Mr. and Mrs. KYGER have been born four children, three yet living-George W., born January 16, 1852, married Alice HENDERSON and they became the parents of four children: Anna B., Ida M., Charlie and one who died in infancy. Charles A., born January 10, 1854, died February 14, 1893; Mary I., born November 20, 1857, is the wife of John M. MOYER, and they have one son, Samuel E. Laura C., born August 5, 1860, is the wife of Jacob HILL, and they have five children Vessie S., deceased; Eunice C., Medora A., Bertha A. and Floyd K. In politics, Mr. Kyger is a democrat, and in 1876 was elected county commissioner, serving two terms. He was filling that office at the time the present court house was built. Since the age of seventeen years he has been a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his wife is also a member. They are highly respected throughout the community and their friends are many. Mr. Kyger is man of excellent business ability and his perseverance and industry have brought success. Pages 757-758. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.