Clinton County Biographies - L


The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.


I. C. LAMBERT, M.  D.
     Few residents of Colfax, Clinton county, Indiana, have occupied during the past decade as large a place in the public eye as Dr. I. C. Lambert, and no one has more worthily discharged his manifold duties or shown himself more worthy of the high esteem in which he is universally held.  His life has been filled with activity and usefulness while his untiring energy and eminent ability have gained for him a conspicuous and honorable plaec (sic) among the distinguished medical men of his day and generation.  In every sphere of endeavor in which he has taken a part socially, politically or professionally, his unpretentious bearing and strict integrity have elevated him in the confidence of his fellow citizens, and his influence, always powerful and salutary, is destined to continue a potential factor for substantial good long after he retires from his labors and ceases from the busy life in the arena in which he has so long been a prominent and effective actor.
     Dr. Lambert was born in Fayette county, Indiana, February 12, 1857, on a farm.  He is a son of James H. Lambert, who was born in the state of Ohio.  His father, William C., was born in Virginia.  The Lamberts were among the sterling early Colonial families of the Old Dominion.  Finally they removed from there to Ohio, and later came on to Indiana.  The family is of English origin.  James B. LAMBERT, the Doctor's father, married Keziah LEE, a native of Virginia, and daughter of William Lee, who was a grandson of the famous Light Horse Harry Lee, that served as a general under Washington during the Revolutionary war.  Mrs. Lambert was a niece of Gen. Robert E. Lee commander-in-chief of the Confederate army.  William Lee and General Lee were brothers.  The Doctor's father died in middle life.  The death of the mother occurred in 1905 at the age of seventy-four years.  The father was a Baptist and the mother a Methodist.  They were known for their scrupulous honesty, old-time Virginia hospitality and industry.  Their family consisted of only two sons, Dr. I. C., of this review, and W. C., who resides in Alberta, Canada, where he is well established and regarded as an influential citizen.
     Dr. Lambert worked hard on the home farm when a boy, and when only fourteen years of age he chopped, many a day, two cords of wood, and made a regular hand cradling wheat and cutting hay.  He received his early education in the public schools of his home community, later attended college.  Deciding to enter the medical profession he studied under Dr. Amos Pettijohn, of Arcadia, Indiana.  He next entered the Physio-Medical School at Marion, Indiana, where he made a good record, graduating with the class of 1889, with honor to himself and the college.  He then entered the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, graduating with the class of 1899.  He soon thereafter began practicing his profession in Colfax, Indiana, where he has continued to the present time with ever increasing success, now enjoying a large and lucrative practice.  He has a modern and well equipped office and a good medical library, and has kept up with medical research work in every way.
     Dr. LAMBERT was married when twenty-one years of age to Nancy MUNDELL, a lady of many commendable traits of character, and the representative of a highly respected family.  Of this union three children have been born: Nora, died when nineteen years of age-, Hattie L., died at the age of fourteen months, and James O., residing in Ladysmith, Wisconsin.  The wife and mother was called to her rest in 1883, and in 1886 the Doctor was united in marriage with Jennie SHANNON, a lady of culture, and a descendant of a fine old Kentucky family.
     Dr. Lambert is a member of the Masonic Order, Knights of Pvthias and the County Medical Association.  He is also a member of the Clinton Club. Personally, he is a man of splendid physique, impressive in manners, unassuming and obliging. Pages 884 - 885
Source II Transcribed by Connie


LANAM, William , Among the self-made men of Clinton county who have succeeded in overcoming many serious obstacles, acquiring a comfortable competence and establishing for themselves an upright character in the community; the name of William Lanam is justly entitled to specific mention.  Mr. Lanam is of German lineage and inherits many of the characteristics and virtues of his worthy ancestors. His grandfather, Thomas LANUM, came to the  United States when a young man, settled in Pennsylvania, and thence, shortly after his marriage, emigrated to Morgan county, Ohio, where he purchased land and became a well- to-do farmer.  He is remembered as a man of many excellent parts, a democrat of the Jackson school, and he lived to a ripe old age. Jesse Lanam, son of the above and father of William, was born in Virginia and followed tilling the soil for a livelihood.  In his native state he married Martha STEWARD, and shortly thereafter emigrated to Ohio, settling in Morgan county, where in time he became a farmer of large means.  Like his father before him he was a strong supporter of the democratic party, and for many years was a member of the old Christian church, in which he held various official positions and the teachings of which he endeavored to practice by a life devoted to the good of his fellow-man.  After the death of his wife, which occurred in Morgan county, Ohio, Mr. Lanam became a resident of Clinton county, Ind., where he remained for but a limited period, then moved to Illinois, in Champaign county of which state he died two years later. William Lanam, whose name introduces this biography, was born at a romantic spot a stone house in the Alleghany mountains, and at the age of three years was taken by his parents to Ohio, in which state he grew to manhood on a farm. What education he received was imparted to him in the old-fashioned log school-house, descriptions of which are found elsewhere in this volume, and he began life for himself as a common laborer at very small wages.   He came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1850, and for some years there-after worked for the very modest compensation of six dollars per month, later received twelve dollars per month, and from his earnings succeeded in laying by sufficient means to enable him to furnish a home and prepare for housekeeping.  After his marriage, which was solemnized with Mary J. WYANT, daughter of William and Elizabeth (NEWHOUSE) WYANT, Mr. LANAN settled in Sugar Creek township, Montgomery county, where he lived for a short time, afterward purchasing an eighty-acre tract of land in Clinton county, where he has since made his home. Beginning life with but little encouragement and no financial assistance, he has succeeded in surmounting the numerous difficulties which would have discouraged a man of less determination, and is now rewarded with a comfortable competence of this world's goods, including a valuable farm of 170 acres in the township of Perry, Clinton county.  His place is well stocked and well drained, the buildings are substantial, and he ranks with the best farmers of his neighborhood.  He is a deacon in the Christian church, to which his wife also belongs.  The following are the names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. LANUM:  Jessie, Wesley, Eliza J., Mary, Martha, Thomas, Catherine, Alice and Almedia, all of whom, with the exception of Almedia, who died at the age of nine years, are  married  and  doing  for  themselves. Thomas LANUM married Lissie VALE, daughter of Lee arid Rebecca (COLTRAM) VALE, and has two children--Lloyd and Ernest.  The parents of Mrs. Mary J. LANAM emigrated from Virginia to Montgomery county, Ind., in 1831, making the trip to Cincinnati on a flat-boat and from that city by ox team to their new home in the Hoosier state.  They were pioneers in the true sense of the term, and the mother was accustomed to walk to Thorntown and back the same day in order to obtain groceries for the family, the distance traversed being sixteen miles.  Mr. WYANT entered 160 acres of land, and with the assistance of his wife, worked hard in order to bring it to a state of cultivation, but did not live to accomplish his aim, dying three years after coming to the country.  Deprived of her strong stay, Mrs. WYANT was compelled to support her family by working on the farm, and right nobly did she perform this duty.  She succeeded in keeping her family of seven children together, and lived to see them grow to manhood's and womanhood's estate and become heads of families. pp. 764 -766
Source I          Transcribed by Chris Brown


LANE,  Beverly W.  , a  younger brother of Willis A. LANE, and one of the progressive young farmers of Perry township, Clinton county, is a descendant of an early settler of Delaware, and in his veins flows the blood of Danish and Irish ancestors.  His grandfather was Joseph Lane, who was born in Delaware March 10, 1800, and who married, in that state, Elizabeth H.---------- , whose birth occurred in the year 1799. Elizabeth Lane died December 21, 1824, leaving one son -- William Lane. Joseph LANE's second wife, whom he married in Delaware February 14, 1826, Was Mary PARKER, who was born June 5, 1798, and died April 1, 1834; by a previous marriage Mrs. Mary LANE had two children, and her union with Mr. Lane resulted in the birth of three children Jesse, John, and Solomon.  Mr. Lane emigrated to Ohio in an early day, and thence, about the year 1833, came to Clinton county, Ind. He married again July 30, 1834, choosing, for his third wife, Mary Byers, who was born August 26, 1817, daughter of John and Mary BYERS, early settlers of Indiana, who located in Clinton county as long ago as 1833.  The children of this marriage were :  Samuel B., Jane, Joseph P., Mary, and Elizabeth.  Mr. Lane was one of the pioneers of Clinton, moving to the same shortly after the county organization and purchasing lands in various parts, until he became the possessor of over 1,000 acres.  The first election ever held in Perry township was at his house, and he took a prominent part in public matters and was an old-line whig in politics.  He provided liberally for his children, giving to each $4,000, or its equivalent in land, and otherwise assisted them in life. He and wife were charter members of the old Shiloh church, and he rendered valuable financial assistance in the construction of the first house of worship, a log structure which, in due time, was replaced by a more modern edifice of enlarged capacity.  After the death of his third wife Mr. LANE married Amanda BRODERICK, daughter of Anthony and Rachel BRODERICK, a union severed by the death of Mrs. Lane in September, 1873; Mr. Lane died April 28, 1874, and was laid to rest in the old cemetery at Shiloh. Jesse LANE, son of the above and father of Beverly W., was born in Fayette county, Ohio, November 26, 1821.  When five years old he was brought by his parents to Clinton county, Ind., received his education in such schools as the country afforded, and on arriving at manhood's estate was united in marriage, April 26,  1849,  to Prudence WHITE, daughter of Alexander and Margaret (CLOUD) WHITE, early settlers of the county of Clinton.  The result of this union was the following children: Willis A., Joseph (deceased), Edgar W., Ollie J. (deceased), Beverly W., Daniel H., Violet May (deceased), Judson (de-ceased), Mary, Nettie, Sarah, Ralph and Delie. After rearing her family the mother of these children passed to her final rest on the fifteenth day of August, 1875. She was sadly missed in the home and the church, of which she had been a consistent member for many years and her many friends and neighbors mourned her death as a personal loss.  On the twenty-third of January,  1877, Mr. LANE entered into the marriage relation with Rachel MOREHEAD daughter of William and Rachel (BALOW) MOREHEAD, a union blessed by the birth of one child--Lottie.  Mrs. Lane was in early life a Presbyterian, but later became identified with the church to which her husband belonged.  She lived the life of a true devoted  Christian, was beloved by all with whom she came in contact, and departed this life on the fifteenth day of March, 1894. Mr. Lane has been a successful farmer all his life,  and, by skillful management and strictly honorable business methods, succeeded in accumulating a large amount of property, the major portion of which has been divided among his children.  He has done much toward introducing a high grade of live stock in the township, and for many years dealt quite extensively in Clydesdale horses, short-horn cattle, Poland China hogs, Shropshire sheep and other fine breeds.  He has always been a stanch republican, and as a farmer and in every other relation in life, is justly entitled to mention among the representative citizens of the township of Perry. Beverly W. LANE, whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was born in Clinton county, Ind., February 26, 1858.  Like the majority of the sons of Clinton, his early years were passed on a farm, and the common schools, which he attended at intervals during his minority, were the means by which his education was imparted.  On arriving at manhood's estate he was united in marriage to Eva M. BAILEY, daughter of Samuel and Evaline (HINTON) BAILEY, to which union one child, Beulah May, was born,  Mr. Lane is a successful farmer and a leading citizen of the community in which he resides.  Politically he is a republican and the Methodist church represents his religious creed.  Mrs. Lane is also a Methodist, and noted for her good works both in the church and out.
     Samuel BAILEY, Mrs. LANE's father, one of the leading old settlers and prominent farmers of Perry township, is descended from German -Irish ancestry and was born in Morgan county, Va., December 31, 1825.  When two years old he was taken by his parents to Ohio, thence, when fourteen years of age, came to Clinton county, Ind., where he grew to man-hood.  He was married May 27, 1851, to Evaline HINTON, after which he settled on a farm of forty acres, where he lived six years, when he disposed of the same and purchased other land, which he improved.  Eventually he became the possessor of handsome property, owning 360 acres of valuable land lying in one of the most fertile and best improved parts of Clinton county.  The names of the children of Mr. and Mrs. BAILEY are as follows--Paulina, Rachel, Morris, Eva, William, Frank, Albert and Myrtle, all of whom are doing well for themselves in life.  Mrs. BAILEY is the daughter of Michael and Rachel HINTON, the father a native of Washington county, Ohio, and an early settler of Clinton county, Ind., moving to the latter about 1830. pp.766-768. Source I                             Transcribed by Chris Brown


LANE, Ralph O.
     It is a great privilege to be able to spend our lives on the old home place.  "The roof that heard our earliest cry," as the poet Tennyson wrote, has a charm and fascination for us which we cannot find elsewhere, and no matter where on earth our restless footsteps may wander we ever long to be back beneath the old roof-tree of our parents.  However, this is not always the privilege of man.  For many reasons, often through necessity, we leave our childhood home and seek our fortune in other countries, and seldom ever revisit the hearthstone around which we played as a child, So those who, like Ralph O. Lane, owner of Maple Lawn Stock Farm, in Perry township, Clinton county, are fortunate enough to spend their lives at their birthplace, are to be envied.  No doubt he fully appreciates the privilege, and he has labored hard to keep the old place well tilled and well improved so that it has retained rather than lost its original strength of soil, and the home has been well preserved.
     Mr. Lane was born in this township and county on October 14, 1871.  He is the scion of a prominent old family of this locality.  He is a son of Jesse Lane, who was a native of Ohio, and a son of Judge Joseph Lane.  The family is of English descent, and the first emigrant settled in Delaware.  Later the family removed westward to Ohio, thence on to Indiana. Judge Lane was one of the first settlers in this section of the state.  Here he built his log cabin and cleared a place for his crops and he became influential in the early history of the community. The first election in the township was held at his log cabin.  He was born in Delaware in the year 1800.  He took a leading part in the early development of the county, and was one of the charter members of the Methodist church here.  He lived to be seventy-four years of age.  His house was a favorite stopping place for the circuit riders who came to this locality to preach at the local Methodist church.  The judge was three times married.
     Jesse LANE, father of our subject, grew up on the old home place, and, being a pioneer boy, found plenty of hard work to do in assisting in developing the farm.  He received a meager education in the log cabin schools of his day.  In early manhood he married Prudence WHITE, and to them twelve children were born: Alfred, Joseph, died in infancy; Edgar, Ollie (deceased), B. W., Dan H., Mrs. May DUNBAR, Judson, Mrs. Nettie DUNBAR (deceased), Catherine.  Ralph O., of this sketch; and Adelia.   Mr. LANE married for his second wife Rachael MOREHEAD, and to them was born one daughter, Lottie.  Mr. Lane's third wife was Anna BURDEN, who survives her husband.  Jesse Lane devoted his life to general farming and stock raising, and was a breeder of fine horses, principally Clydesdales.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and his home was headquarters for the preachers of this denomination when in this locality; in fact, it was a home where the latch string was always on the outside to his many friends.
     Ralph O. LANE was reared on the old home place and there worked during the crop season when he became of proper age.  During the winter months he attended the district schools. When twenty-three years old, he married Icy LACKEY, daughter of Eli Lackey, a pioneer of Clinton county, now deceased.  The mother is still living, making her home in Colfax.
     Mr. Lane owns one hundred and forty acres in section 34, Perry township.  Here he carries on general farming and stock raising.  Everything about the place denotes thrift and good management.  He pays considerable attention to stock raising and no small portion of his income is derived from this source.  He has a silo, which holds one hundred tons, and has the largest barn in the township.  He keeps registered Percheron stallions and mares and is also a breeder of Poland China hogs.  His fine stock is greatly admired by all see it.
     One child, Blanche, has been born to our subject and wife.  She was graduated from the Colfax high school and is taking a four years course in DePauw University.  Another child, Olive, died when sixteen months old.
     Politically, Mr. Lane is a Republican, and fraternally a member of the Knights of Pythias.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Pages 782 – 783 Source II
Transcribed by Connie


LANE, Willis A. , brother of Beverly W. LANE, was born in Clinton county, Ind., on the twenty-fourth day of January, 1820, and grew to manhood near where he is now living.  His education, acquired in the common schools, is of a practical nature, and his contact with men in subsequent years, together with his business relations, has given him a practical knowledge such as schools and colleges fail to impart.  His life work has been agriculture, in the true dignity and devotion of which he firmly believes, and in his chosen calling he is the peer of any resident of the community in which he lives. Mr. LANE, has a well-improved and fertile farm of 110 acres, upon which are many valuable improvements,  including a modern residence and barn, complete in their appointments, and the improved condition of his premises bespeaks the successful farmer and gentleman of taste. Mr. LANE, was united in marriage June 15, 1874, to Mary C. HARLAN, daughter of George and Silence (HAMILTON) HARLAN, the father a farmer of Piatt county, ILL.  This union has been blessed with the birth of the following children, given in the order of their ages: Jessie, deceased at the age of six years; Walter H., Nellie and George H.       Mr. LANE, is a progressive citizen in all the term implies; he stands unreservedly for public improvements of all kinds, and takes more than ordinary interest in the cause of education, the general dissemination of which he believes to be one of the effective means of arresting many of the evils extant and elevating the country to a higher plane of moral excellence.  He is sparing no pains in the education of his children, all of whom will be given the advantages of full courses of study in higher institutions of learning, and, at the same time, he is by no means neglectful of their higher natures, the influence of his life being decidedly religious in its tendency.  He is an earnest worker in the Methodist church, holds the positions of steward,  trustee and class leader, and, for some years, has been the efficient superintendent of the Sunday-school.  Politically, he is a republican, but not an office-seeker, although he has frequently been solicited by his many friends and fellow-citizens to accept positions of trust. p. 766. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown


LONG, Samuel Kyle , a leading farmer and influential citizen of Owen township, Clinton county, Ind., is descended from sturdy German ancestry. His grandfather, Samuel LONG, was a native of Virginia and a farmer by occupation. He was a democrat in politics and served for a number of years as justice of the peace. In religious belief he was a Presbyterian, and his death occurred at the age of eighty years. His children were John, Sam, Joseph, Maria and David. The last named was born in Virginia in 1793, and he, too, carried on agricultural pursuits. He was married January 8, 1829, to Annie HARKRADER, who was born October 6, 1809, and they became the parents of the following children: George W. who married Sarah STRIKER; Catherine, wife of W. L. MABBITT; Elizabeth J., wife of Warren ADAMS; Martha A., wife of W. H. WEAVER; Margaret M., wife of John LENNON; Sarah E., wife of W. McCLUNE; Matilda, wife of J. H. FENNELL; Annie S., wife of Robert YOUNG; Benjamin F, who served in the late war as a member of the Third Indiana cavalry and died in hospital; Samuel K., 0f this sketch; J. D., who married Hannah HERRON; Mary, wife of Frank McCRARY; and Amanda M., who died at the age of thirteen.
     The father, David Long, removed with his parents first to Butler county, Ohio, and in 1832 became a resident of Clinton county Ind., where he entered 160 acres of farm land. This he cleared and improved and to it added a tract of eighty acres. He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics he was a democrat and took an active interest in the party. His life was one of industry and enterprise until his last ten years, when he suffered greatly from rheumatism He died in 1871, at the age of seventy-two.
     Samuel K. Long, whose name heads this record, was born in the township which is still his home, December 14, 1844, was reared in the usual manner of farmer lads, and was educated in the common schools. He remained at home until October 26, 1872, when was celebrated his marriage with Nancy A. MILLER who was born July 25, 1842, and is a daughter of Solomon and Eleanor (LOGAN) MILLER, who were also natives of Indiana. Mrs. Long is member of the Presbyterian church. By their marriage they had one son, who was born December 18, 1874, and died March 31, 1882, During the late war, Mr. Long, feeling that his services were more needed at home, sent substitute to the field and entered upon his business career as a farmer. He had but little capital, but has made the most of his opportunities, and now owns some 400 acres of rich land, comprised within three farms, which are supplied with good buildings and all modern conveniences. That on which he resides comprises 160 acres, and he devotes his time and energies to general farming and stock raising, in which he has met with good success. The home is a beautiful residence, surrounded by large evergreen trees, and is one of the model farms of the community. Mr. Long has led a busy life, yet finds time to devote to public interests. He supports; the democracy, has attended its county conventions, and has served as the honored treasurer of Sedalia lodge, No. 508, F. & A. M. Having accumulated a comfortable competence, he enjoys it largely through travel, and has visited many of the points of interest throughout this country.  Pages 770-775. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown


LOVELESS, David C.
      One of the enterprising and public-spirited men of Colfax, Clinton county, who is doing a great deal in fostering the substantial growth of the city is David C. LOVELESS, who, although a comparatively recent comer, has proven himself in league with all good movements for the betterment of the place.  Being a man of exemplary habits and of friendly demeanor he has won a wide circle of friends and is one of the men of the locality of which this history treats, who is deserving of special mention within its pages.
       Mr. Loveless who is one of the trustees of Colfax, in fact, chairman of the board, was born in Milford, Iroquois county, Illinois, in 1855.  He is a son of a farmer, Benjamin LOVELESS, who was born in Ohio.  The mother of our subject, who was known in her maidenhood as Mary J. CRUTCHER, was a native of Illinois, in which state her parents were pioneers, having removed there from Ohio.  The parents of our subject are both deceased, the father having died at Frankfort, Ind., at the advanced age of seventy-nine years; the mother passed away when sixty-four years of age.  Their family consisted of six children, an equal number of sons and daughters.  Politically, the father of the above named children was a Republican, and religiously he belonged to the German Baptist church, as did also the mother.  They were noted for their piety and industry. They established a good home and gave their children good advantages in every way.
       David C. LOVELESS was reared on the old home farm in the Prairie state and there he worked hard when a boy.  He received an education in the common schools of his locality, which has been supplemented by long years of home reading and by actual contact with the business world.  He began farming when young in years and continued to engage in general agricultural and stock raising pursuits with continuously gratifying results until five years ago when he removed to Colfax, Ind., where he has a good home, and is enjoying the comforts of life, prepared to spend his declining years in ease.  He has been engaged since coming here in the real estate business, and has been very successful, having the many important trades, and he always has listed for sale some of the best properties in Colfax and Clinton and Boone counties.  He is an excellent judge of property values, especially farms, and is often consulted regarding good, safe investments in farming and city property.
       Mr. LOVELESS was married in Montgomery county, lndiana, on June 1, 1875, to Catherine C. SAIDLEY, a lady who came o f an excellent family and who has been a good helpmate in every way.  She was born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and was reared and educated there, near Clark's Hill.  She is a daughter of John Adam SAIDLEY, who was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, being eleven years of age when he emigrated with his parents to the United States.  He devoted his life to agricultural pursuits. His wife was known in her maiden hood as Rebecca J. BOWERS, who was a native of the state of Pennsylvania.  The parents of Mrs. LOVELESS are both now deceased, the (sic) father having attained the ripe old age of eighty-five years. He was a member of the German Baptist church.  His family consisted of eight children, five sons and three daughters: Isaac, Joshua, Jesse, William, Frank, Mary, Anna and Catherine C., the latter, the wife of our subject, having been the youngest in order of birth.
      Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. LOVELESS, three sons and four daughters: Rebecca J., married to Mr. HARSHBARGER; Mrs. Viola RAIRDON, Mrs. Sylvia GHEER, Mrs. Sarah ROBINSON, Joseph (twin brother of Sarah), Adam FREDERICK, and Ben C. Our subject and wife have seventeen grand children.  They have lived to see their children well settled in life, all good citizens and highly respected wherever they live.
      Politically, Mr. LOVELESS is a Republican and is more or less active in public affairs.  He is a member of the German Baptist church. Pages 954 – 957.  
Source II Transcribed by Connie


LUDINGTON, John F.  , farmer  of Jackson township,  Clinton  county, Ind., was born in Clinton county, Ohio, March 4,  1833. son of Stephen and Ann LUDINGTON.  Stephen Ludington was the son of Thomas, whose father came from Ireland.  Thomas Ludington was born in New York,  and died  in  the  state of Ohio. Stephen Ludington was born in New York early  accompanied his parents to Ohio, thence emigrated to Wisconsin, where  he lived a short time, and in 1850 became a resident of Clinton county, Ind., where his death occurred in the month of October, 1857.  His wife, whose maiden name was Anna HOLDCRAFT, died in February, 1867.  They were the parents of six children, namely:  John F., Anna (deceased), Lucinda, wife of Joseph HALCY, Harvey, Delilah, wife John W. WITT,  and Ellen (deceased). John F. LUDINGTON was reared to a life of labor on his father's farm and was unfortunate in not having the advantages of an education in his youth.  He learned to read and write after reaching manhood, and early chose the machinist's trade for his occupation.  He first worked in the city of Chicago for one William Tuttle, in whose employ he remained about seven years, after which, for about fourteen years, he ran stationary engines at different places.  He enlisted October 20, 1861, in company K, Fortieth Indiana infantry, Capt. A. E. Gordon, and went into camp at La Fayette, remaining there about a month. Later, his regiment went to Indianapolis, thence to Louisville, Ky., and Mr. Ludington saw his first active service in a forced march through Kentucky and a portion of Tennessee to Shiloh, in the bloody battle of which he took part.  From Shiloh his command went to Holly Springs and Iuka, thence to Tuscumbia, Ala., and various other places in that state. Later, after devious marching, the regiment reached Munfordsville, Ky.,  and thence marched back to the city of Louisville. He took part in the battle of Perryville, after which the regiment followed in pursuit of Gen. Bragg. It would be difficult, in a sketch of this kind, to narrate, in detail, all the marches, skirmishes, and battles in which Mr. Ludington took part, but suffice it to say that throughout his varied experience, covering a period of nearly four years, he earned a reputation for duty bravely and uncomplainingly performed, of which he feels deservedly proud. He took part in the battle of Murfreesboro and the  Chattanooga  campaign, and met the enemy in the bloody fights of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain.   From Chattanooga he accompanied his command to Knoxville, thence to Georgia under General Sherman, and participated in the battles around Atlanta, among which were Buzzard's Roost, Ringgold Station, Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, Dallas and New Hope Church.  At Strawberry Plains his regiment veteranized, after which he went home on a furlough.   At the expiration of thirty days he rejoined his command at Round Top, Ga., thence went to Atlanta in time to take part in the battle of Peach Tree Creek.  His regiment assisted in the pursuit of Hood to Franklin, Tenn., and after taking part in the battle at that place went to Nashville, where the army of Hood was almost annihilated.  After various other movements in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas, Mr. Ludington was finally discharged at Indianapolis in 1865.   He was wounded in the battle of Shiloh but refused to be taken to the hospital, and at Perryville he also received a severe wound in the arm.   At Murfreesboro he received a gun-shot wound in the thigh, and on the twenty-fifth of September, 1863, was captured by the enemy and held until the twenty-eighth of December following. After leaving the army Mr. Ludington resumed his trade, but subsequently engaged in farming, which he still carries on.   He has been twice married--the first time on the twenty eighth of August, 1857, to Susannah DAUGHERTY a union blessed with the birth of six children four living--Mary J., wife of Frank Gunion; Minerva A., wife of Samuel West; James and Armetta M. The names of those decease are Anna E., born June 11, 1857, died February,  1875; Ida, born November, 1865, died December, 1865.  The mother died August 28, 1887, and on the sixteenth day of March 1890, Mr. Ludington married his present wife Mrs. Sarah A. HELMICK, nee HARBAUGH.  Mr. Ludington is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Odd Fellows' order, and of the G. A. R.  Politically he is a republican and in religion a Methodist. pp. 769 - 770. Source I        Transcribed by Chris Brown


LYNCH, James A. G.
      In a county such as Clinton, where there are so many men of moral, intellectual, and business character, it is hard to determine who is the most worthy.  Success in life, however, does not determine character, nor does strong character always insure monetary success in later years.  There are some, though, who have found fortune early in life, and the worry of making a living cast aside, have ample opportunity, to develop the other side of life, the aesthetic, the side which so few people in this world at this day find time to enjoy.  At this writing Mr. Lynch has just passed his thirty-first year, but in those years he has made a practical and lasting success, and now has the pleasant thoughts of many years to come in which to enjoy the rewards of his work.
      James A. G. LYNCH was born April 14, 1882 at Walton, Roane county, West Virginia, and was the son of J. W. and Mary A. (LOONEY) LYNCH.  He was one of a large family of children, namely: Harvey W., of Clendenin, W. Va.; Mrs. Permela B. HIVELY, Mrs. Phoebe Jane ROBERTSON, Mrs. Eva Ann DONAHUE, William S., Mrs. Sarah F. CAMP, all of West Virginia; Silvin O., of Maxwell, N. M., and Woodard A. and Emerson E., both deceased.
      The father of our subject was a farmer all his life, and a Republican, in politics.  He died February 12, 1911. The mother is still living at Clendenin, W. Va.  Both were Christian Adventists in faith.
      Mr. LYNCH, our subject, was born and reared on his father's farm in the state of West Virginia, and he remained there until his marriage.  After the last mentioned event he went into the grocery business in Clay county, West Virginia, and followed that vocation until the next year, then moved on to his father-in-law's farm in Roane county, West Virginia, and later removed again to his father's farm.  His next change was for Clendenin, Kanawha county, West Virginia, where he commenced dealing in horses and oil royalties.
      Mr. Lynch today has interest in several oil companies, is president of the Kanawha Oil Company, and a stockholder in the Koontz Oil & Gas Company of Virginia.  He also retains land of four hundred and fifty acres of oil fields with his brothers and sisters.  Mr. Lynch came to Clinton county, this state, in 1911 and built his present beautiful home on West Kyger street, in Frankfort.  Politically, he is a Republican.
      On June 4, 1903, Mr. Lynch was united in marriage with Lucy J. LEWIS, the daughter of Edward and Mary M.  LEWIS, of Rockbridge county, West Virginia, a family which settled in Monroe county, that state, in the early days, and where our subject's wife was born.  Her parents were extensive farmers, at one time owning a total of seven thousand acres of land.  All were Presbyterians by religious faith, and were among the best families of the New England states.  Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. LYNCH: Beatrice, born August 16, 1903; James McChesney, born June 1, 1905, and Ivan Paul, born March 22, I907.
      Mrs. Lynch's brothers and sisters are: Prudence Campbell (deceased); Mrs. Fannie M. Simpson, of Wellsburg, W. Va.; William A., (deceased) James McChesney, of Marietta, O.; John Edward, of Wheeling, W. Va.; and May Good, of Cotton, W.. Va. Page 688 – 689   Source II Transcribed by Connie


LYON, Samuel W. , a leading farmer of Jackson township, Clinton county, Ind  was born on the farm where he now resides August  25,  1847, and is the only surviving child of Samuel LYON.   Samuel Lyon,  Sr., was  born in North Carolina in  1792, removed with his parents to South Carolina, where he lived until his fourteenth year,  at which early age he entered the army under his father, and served his country as a soldier for some time. Later he engaged in farming, which he pursued until 1831, and then sold his property, including a number of slaves, and removed to Indiana, entering an eighty-acre tract of land in Clinton county.  He afterward added 168 acres to the original purchase, and became a farmer of considerable means.  When over forty years of age he married Mary MUNDELL, daughter of Isaiah MUNDELL, who bore him three children, only one of whom is now living, to-wit: the subject of this sketch; the other two, James and Mary, died at the ages of six and fourteen years respectively.  Mrs. Lyon died in 1854, and her husband departed this life four years later. After the death of his father, Samuel Lyon, Jr., made his home for some time with his cousin, John BROWN, and afterward, for five years, lived in the family of his guardian, Stewart BRECKINRIDGE.  He had then reached an age when he was at liberty to choose his own guardian.  Accordingly he selected William SALESBURY to look after his interests, and he made his home with that gentleman until he reached his majority.  He then took possession of his own estate, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, following the same with such success that he is now one of the most enterprising and progressive farmers of Jackson township, as well as one of the prominent citizens of Clinton county.  On the twenty-seventh of August,  1872, Mr. LYON and Miss Clarissa, daughter of Nicholas STRAIN, were united in the bonds of wedlock.  Mrs. Lyon was born in Montgomery county, Ind., October 14, 1855, and is the mother of four children-Rosa Ulla,  born May 25,  1873, now the wife of N. Jett; Maggie E., born July 18, 1875, a prominent teacher of the county; Fleeta C., born March 12, 1880, and Verna Wilson, born March 4, 1886. Mr. Lyon, at this time, is the possessor of 300 acres of fine land in Jackson township, and in addition to general farming gives con-siderable attention to the breeding of fine live-stock, making a specialty of full-blooded short-horn Durham cattle, in which his success has been most encouraging.  He takes much interest in educational matters, giving his children good advantages in this direction, and he is indeed one of the public-spirited men of the township in which his life has been passed. He is a member of the I. 0.0. F., belonging to lodge No. 413, and the Baptist church, with which both himself and wife are identified, embodies his religious creed. P. 775.  Source I   
Transcribed by Chris Brown


Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.   

Source II : History of Clinton County …. With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company – Indianapolis, Indiana


    Connie Rushing 1998/2001 Chris Brown 1998/2001


Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.