Clinton County Biographies - M
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
MABBITT, David L.
Some people forget that a worn soil is a hungry soil-a soil whose breathing is difficult because its organic matter is exhausted, and whose natural mineral elements of plant food have been depleted by constant crop-ping-a soil that does not furnish a suitable home for the manufacturing bacteria-a soil that constantly pleads through its stunted, scrawny, half-nourished plant growth, for material with which to satisfy its hunger. One hundred bushels per acre crops are never grown on such soil, and a resort to stimulants in the form of so-called "complete fertilizers" only hasten land ruin. One of the progressive farmers of Jackson township, Clinton county, who has long understood fully the above facts and who has thus avoided wearing out his soil and has kept it as strong as when it was in its virgin state by proper rotation of crops, the application of proper natural and artificial fertilizer and other well established methods is David L. Mabbit, who is at present trustee of his township.
Mr. Mabbitt was born on May 21, 1862, in Owen township, this county. He is a son of W. L. and Catherine (LONG) MABBITT. The father was born on April 8, 1829, in Union county, Indiana, and his death occurred on December 13, 1911. The mother was born on October 10, 1832, in Butter county, Ohio, and she was three years old when her parents brought her to Clinton county in 1835, being thus among the first settlers here. William Mabbitt, paternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Maryland in 1793, from which state he removed to North Carolina and from there to Union county, Indiana, in 1815. His death occurred in 1875 in Clinton county on the old Mabbitt homestead. He was a fine type of the rugged, honest pioneer. He came to Indiana on horseback and entered land from the government when this country was still a territory. Grandfather Long was born in 1792, and Grandmother Long was born in Virginia in 1806.
W. L. Mabbitt, father of our subject, was reared under pioneer conditions and helped develop the home farm from the wilderness He attended school only one month, but could read and write, and was a self-made man. He followed farming all his life. He was a Democrat in politics, but was never a candidate for office. He joined the Masonic Order in 1850, being a charter member of Middle Fork and Wild Cat lodges. His family consisted of nine children, only two of whom are now living. These were: Mrs. Martha BROWN (dec.), Warren (dec.), George W., killed by lightning; Eliza (dec.), Mrs. Lucinda PLOTT and David L., of this review, the only two living at this writing; Mrs. Emma BRONSON (dec.), Charles and Frank also deceased.
David L. Mabbitt grew to manhood on the home farm where he worked during crop seasons. He had excellent educational advantages, having attended the common schools in his home community and, later, Purdue University at Lafayette, Ind. After leaving school he engaged in the milling business for several years in Sedalia, this county, and built up a good trade, later trading his mill for a farm in Jackson township in 1890. Thither he moved soon after, and here he has continued to reside to the present time with the exception of one year spent in Frankfort and two years in Sedalia. He has been very successful as a general farmer paying special attention to stock feeding, ranking among the leading feeders in the county for many years, preparing annually large numbers of cattle and hogs for the market. He owns one hundred and seventy-three acres of valuable and well improved land, all tillable but about thirty acres, which is in woods. The place is well tiled and on it stand an excellent set of buildings. These improvements were made by Mabbitt himself. He has one of the most attractive rural homes in the county. He raises jersey cows, Poland-China and mixed breeds of hogs; horses, mostly Norman and Percheron, and Plymouth Rock chickens.
Mr. Mabbitt was married on December 24, 1885, to Laura A. WILSON, who was born in Clinton county, September 15, 1865. She is a daughter of William B. and Nancy (TINKLE) WILSON. Mrs. Mabbitt's Grandfather Wilson came to Clinton county in an early day. Her father, who is still living, has always been a carpenter. He is a native of this county.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson were the parents of four children: George, Joseph, Dora and Laura A., wife of our subject. Mrs. Wilson was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Wilson belonged to the I. 0. 0. F. and the Red Men. He has been a justice of the peace, and in politics is a Democrat.
The union of our subject and wife has resulted in the birth of four children: Catherine A., born September 14, 1887, married Earl JACKSON. They live on a farm in Jackson township, and have two children, Edward and Louis D. Louis D., our subject's second child, was born on July 25, 1890, and in October, 1912, he married Catherine TAPKIN. They live on the farm with our subject. Claude M. was born February 8, 1893, and died December 27, 1903; Ethel M., the youngest of the family, was born on September 2, 1898, and is now attending school.
Fratemally Mr. Mabbitt is a member of the Masonic Order, Frankfort Lodge, NO. 54, also the Improved Order of Red Men, Woodmen of the World, and the Modern Woodmen, all of Frankfort. He is a member of the United Brethren church, and politically he is a Democrat, and has long been more or less active in local party affairs. He was appointed to the office of trustee of Jackson township in January, 1913, and is discharging the duties of this office in a highly satisfactory manner to the people. Pages 560 562 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Few men in Clinton county are as well known as the subject of this biography, and to him as much as to any one man is the county largely indebted for its present advanced stage of civilization and the position it occupies among the most highly favored sections of the commonwealth of Indiana. David Maish, Sr., father of our subject, was born in York county, Pa., and his mother, whose maiden name was Hannah TYSON, was also a native of the Keystone state. David Maish, Sr., was one of the early settlers in Clinton county, moving to the same in the year 1836, accompanied by a family of ten children, whose names are as follows: Sarah, George, Jacob, David, Matthias, Joseph, Catherine, Hannah, Henry, and Frederick. One child, Lydia, died in Pennsylvania, and four children were added to the family after their arrival in Indiana, to-wit --- Mary J., Elizabeth, Martha and James D. Mr. Maish arrived in Clinton county six years after its organization, and the country being then new, he had a prodigious amount of hard labor to perform before he could make his investment profitable. The land upon which he settled was covered with a dense forest growth, and he was obliged to work early and late in order to remove the same and fit the soil for cultivation. With a large family to support, his prospects were often discouraging, but, undaunted by his situation, he persevered courageously until his efforts were ultimately crowned with success. In his day, Mr. Maish was a very active participant in all measures for the improvement of the county, and he is remembered as one of the potent factors in the material advancement of the country. He departed this life on the thirtieth day of May, 1868, after a residence of thirty-two years in the county, and his wife died in 1880.
David Maish, Jr., the immediate subject of this notice, was born May 14, 1823, and he remained with his father on the farm until his twenty-second year, attending such primitive schools as the country afforded at intervals in the meantime. At the age of twenty-two, he left home to bear his part in the struggle of life, his sole amount of available wealth at that time consisting of one shilling in money. He obtained employment in a grist and saw-mill owned by one Samuel KYGER, where he remained three months, receiving for his services the very modest compensation of nine dollars per month. The following summer, he worked at cistern building for twelve dollars per month, and then engaged with John W. BLAIR to drive a four-horse team, loaded with merchandise, to La Fayette, Ind. The following February he again accepted employment with Mr. Kyger for a more liberal compensation, and remained with that gentleman during the six succeeding years. In 1847 Mr. Maish entered into the marriage relation with Miss Altha NORRIS, and, immediately there-after, purchased 160 acres of land, upon which his present home is located. About five years after his marriage, a destructive fire occurred in the mill in which he had been employed, reducing it to ashes. Being again thrown upon his own resources, he determined to embark in the milling business for himself. He accordingly rented the Spring Mill property in Washington township for a term of one year, at the end of which time he removed to his farm and followed agricultural pursuits with the most gratifying success until his retirement from the active duties of life in 1880. The married life of Mr. Maish has been blessed with ten children, named, respectively : William C., George 0., Elizabeth M., Hannah E., Willard P., Edward N., Susan J., David T., Altha A., and Emma J. Of these children the following are living: Willard P., Elizabeth M., Edward N., Susan J., and Emma J.
On the twenty-seventh day of July, 1876, Mr. MAISH was called upon to part with the faithful companion of his married life, the wife and mother, whose gentle influence had been such a potent power for good in the home circle during a period of twenty-three years. This sad event cast a deep gloom over the family circle and was felt as a personal loss by her many friends throughout Clinton county. In the way of the gospel she lived, and with its blessed rays to light and comfort her through "the dark valley, " she passed peacefully away beyond the trials of this mortal land to ''the inheritance prepared for the saints.'' When Mr. Maish first located upon the land now occupied by his beautiful farm, it was a dense wilderness without even a cabin to offer its friendly shelter. With the energy and determination with which his life has ever been characterized he went to work with a will, and in due time built a home for himself and wife and fitted a goodly number of acres for cultivation. The original dwelling, a rude structure built of logs, served its purpose well, and in time was replaced by a more handsome and commodious building, which now stands as a monument to his industry and courageous perseverance under difficulties. Mr. Maish has added to his original purchase from time to time until his possessions in real estate amount to 711 acres. Of this amount 424 acres have been cleared and cultivated by himself. Mr. Maish has ever taken great interest in internal improvements, was especially active in the advancement of railroad facilities, which he aided liberally, and employed valuable time in soliciting subscriptions for the enterprises. He has always favored any and all measures calculated to enhance the interests of the county whenever such have been submitted to the people for their approval by ballot, and he is indeed a public-spirited citizen in all that term implies. As stated above, Mr. Maish retired from active life in 1880, since which time he has lived in Frankfort, where he owns a comfortable home, in which his declining years are being passed. His has indeed been an active life, and his success financially and otherwise is the result of prudence, industry and wise business forethought. Although in his seventy-second year, Mr. Maish still possesses in a marked degree the possession of his faculties physical and mental, and bids fair to live for many years to come. This fact is readily vouched for by the excellent portrait on the page preceding the opening of this biography. Pages 789 -791. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MAISH, David Fudge
DAVID FUDGE MAISH, son of Henry Maish, whose biography is given above, was born in Clinton county, Ind., August 19, 1859, where he was reared to farming and where he received a very good common school education. After reaching his majority he farmed for two years on his own account and then took an agency for the Western Publishing House of Chicago, in whose interests he traveled as salesman or canvasser for such works as the "Royal Path of Life" and others of equal merit, through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and other states, clear through to California, meeting with abundant success for four years. After this extensive tour through the country, Mr. Maish returned to his native county, where he is now engaged in raising small fruit, in which he is as successful as he had been in his former business. December 25 (Christmas day), 1889, Mr. Maish was married to Miss Florence May PAULEY, who has become the happy mother of two children Mary Elizabeth and Luella Pearl. Mr. and Mrs. Maish are reputable members of the Methodist church and equally reputable in society circles. Mr. Maish is also an honored member of the Improved Order of Red Men and the Patrons of Husbandry. In politics Mr. Maish is a prohibitionist, having severed his political relations with the democratic party in the campaign of 1886. Since that time he has served his party as county chairman for six consecutive years, and was its candidate for county representative in 1890. He is a man of strong convictions, a forceful and eloquent speaker, and one who will command respect among his fellow citizens in any department of life. Page 793 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
HENRY MAISH, of Center township, Clinton county, Ind., and a resident thereof since his early childhood, was born in Perry county, Pa., November 21, 1831, and is a son of David MAISH, who came with his family to Indiana about 1836 and settled near Frankfort. Henry went through all the rugged experiences of a farmer boy's life in the wilderness, attending the rude school-house, helpfully clearing away the forest, and working on the home farm until twenty-three years of age, when, November 16, 1854, he married Catherine Elizabeth FUDGE, daughter of the pioneer, David FUDGE, a Methodist minister. (See sketch of David Fudge). Miss FUDGE was born on the farm owned by Henry Maish May 5, 1835, but was called from her husband to a better land April 27, 1875, after having borne her husband the following children: Mary Seraphina, November 20, 1855; Hannah Tabitha, September 8, 1857, deceased; David Fudge, August 19, 1859; Samuel M., October 24, 1861, deceased; William Henry, deceased, and an infant that died unnamed. After his marriage, Henry Maish lived for six years on rented land. His wife then inherited an interest in her father's estate, and by 1861 Mr. Maish had succeeded in buying out the rights of the other heirs and settled on the property. It then consisted of 160 acres, but he has increased it to 273 acres, replaced the old dwelling of two rooms with a modern residence, substituted the dilapidated barn with commodious modern structures, drained the land, and brought all the 273 acres under a good state of cultivation, with the exception only of twenty-five acres held in reserve.
The second marriage of Henry Maish took place February 14, 1877, to Catherine MIKESELL, a native of Ohio, to which union four children have been born, viz: Oris T., Pearl, Laura, and Harry (deceased). In politics Mr. Maish is a democrat, and with his family in religion is a Methodist. He comes from a very ancient German-American family, the earliest of whose ancestors, John George Maish, landed in America October 16, 1751 and settled near Harrisburg, Pa. The wife of John George was Catherine ULP, who became the mother of six children, viz: Joseph, David, Frederick, Dolly, Christine and Catherine, all of whom lived to rear families of their own. Pages 792-793 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MELCHOR MAISH, a prominent farmer of Center township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Carlyle, Cumberland county, Pa., February 24, 1837, the son of Joseph and Catherine (DRAURBAUGH) MAISH, natives of York county, Pa. Joseph, the father of Melchor, was a son of Joseph Maish, a native of York county, Pa., and he a son of John H. Maish, who came from Germany in 1751 and first located in Philadelphia, Pa., whence he moved to York. Mrs. Catherine (Drarbaugh) Maish, mother of Melchoir, was a daughter of Peter Draurbaugh, who married a Miss GILMORE, and was of German descent. To this union were born two children, Melchor and William H., a more extended notice of the latter being given below. The father of these sons died at the age of thirty-eight, in 1843, in York county, and the mother died in 1846, at the age of thirty-four, and after the death of his parents, Melchor made his home with his maternal grandmother, by whom he was reared a farmer. In the fall of 1855 he came to Clinton county, Ind., lived here a year, and then, for two winters and one summer, worked in Johnson county, Iowa. In the spring of 1858 he went through Cincinnati and Pittsburg back to York, Pa., and on January 23, 1859, married Mary McDonald, who was born in York county, Pa., December 31, 1836, and daughter of James H. and Mary (JAMES) McDONALD, natives, respectively, of Cumberland and York counties, Pa. James H. McDonald was a son of Josiah McDonald, who, with his brother, John, came from Scotland. Josiah settled in Cumberland county, Pa , and John in Ohio. The renowned Joseph McDonald, of Indiana, was a first cousin of James H., the father of Mrs. Maish. Mrs. Mary (James) McDonald, the mother of Mrs. Maish, was a daughter of Owen and Jennie (BRANDON) JAMES, natives of Wales. Owen James was a gallant soldier in the war of 1812-15, and at the advanced age of ninety-four passed from earth in York county, Pa.
Mr. Maish settled on his present farm of 102 1/2 acres in section 12, Center township, Clinton county, August 16, 1864, and here has led a most prosperous agricultural and horticultural career. He is a solid democrat in his politics, and in his religious faith, with his family, adheres to the United Brethren church. His children were named, in order of birth, as follows: Catherine, Elmer H., Margaret, Jane Clara Ann, Emma D. and William James--all surviving, with the exception of Emma D. Page 791 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MAISH, William H.
WILLIAM H. MAISH, of Center township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Fairview township, York county, Pa., August 20, 1840, and is the younger son of Joseph and Catherine (DRAURBAUGH) MAISH (originally spelt MAISCH), the details of whose biography are given above in the sketch of Melchor Maish. After the death of his parents, as above related, William H. was reared by his grandmother until the age of twelve, when he was hired out to a farmer, for whom he worked for one dollar and a half per month for two years; then worked for a year for his uncle, George ROCKEY, and at the latter's death was placed out by his guardian with another farmer at four dollars per month, one dollar less than he could have earned elsewhere. A year later young Maish hired himself out for seven dollars per month, regardless of the wishes of his guardian, and worked for two summers and three winters for the employer of his choice. Being now eighteen years old, he chose for his guardian his brother, Melchor, with whom he lived until February 28, 1861, when he married Eliza BERKEIMER, a native of Cumberland county, Pa., and of German descent. The young couple went to farming in Cumberland county, but in 1863 Mr. Maish was drafted into the army. He, however, was exempted on the payment of $300, and in April, 1864, came to Indiana with his brother and others and located in Carroll county, where he lived until March, 1893, when he came to Clinton county, where his brother had already settled. Here William H. settled on a farm just east of Frankfort, having, however, been quite popular in Carroll county, where he had served as constable for four years and as township assessor five terms, being in his politics a stanch democrat.
In 1880 Mr. Maish lost his wife, who had borne five children, viz: Joseph H., George B., Catherine (who died at the age of six years), Eliza E., and Mary S. The second marriage of Mr. Maish occurred in 1883 to Amanda THOMAS, a native of Carroll county, Ind., and this union has been blessed with one child -Annie Florence. The family are adherents of the Methodist church, and fraternally Mr. Maish is an Odd Fellow. The first wife of Mr. Maish was a daughter of Jesse and Eliza (KIMMEL) BERKHEIMER , and the second is a daughter of Andrew and Sarah Ann (BAKER) THOMAS. Mr. Thomas, a native of Virginia, died in 1889, but his widow still lives in Carroll county. Mr. Maish has been very successful in life, having begun on no capital, excepting enough to buy eighty acres of timbered land in Carroll county, but he now owns 240 acres of improved,land in that county and a fine farm of forty acres, just east of Frankfort, Clinton county-all gained by his superior sagacity and skillful management. Page 792.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MAISH, Willard P.
WILLARD P. MAISH, ex-county treasurer and one of the youngest and most progressive stock growers and farmers of Jackson township, Clinton county, Ind., his native home, was born February 9, 1855, and is a son of David and Altha (NORRIS) MAISH. mention of which well known family will be found elsewhere in these pages. Willard P., at his majority, took charge of his father's farm, and has been a most successful breeder of draft and fine driving horses, and also buys cattle, sheep and hogs, which he fattens for market. February 4, 1876, he married Mary J., daughter of John and Nancy J. (POINTS) BARNETT, natives of Indiana and of Irish descent. Mrs. Maish is one of a family of eight children, was born August 20, 1854, and by her Marriage to Mr. Maish has herself been the mother of seven children, born in the following order: David B., born April 7, 1877; Refina G., in October, 1878; John W., in January, 1880; Walter S., September 10, 1882; Altha J., June 22, 1886; Homer C. C., in December, 1889, and Mary L., September 10, 1892. Mr. Maish has been very popular with the democratic party, and by it was elected county treasurer in 1890, assuming the duties of his office November 15, of the same year, and filling the position with much ability and most satisfactorily through his term. Fraternally, he is a member of lodge No. 108, I. 0. 0. F., of Frankfort, and of Dacotah tribe, No.42, I. 0. R. M. Mr. and Mrs. Maish are highly respected members of the M. E. church of Frankfort, and few residents of the township of Jackson hold higher rank in the esteem of their neighbors. Page 794
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Biographies Mc thru Mi were removed to help with loading time for this page.
SAMUEL MOHLER, one of the old settlers and substantial farmers of Owen township, Clinton county, Ind., a deacon in the German Baptist church, descends from a Swiss family who came to America and settled in Pennsylvania in old colonial times. Ludwig Mohler, great-great-great-grandfather of our subject, came with his family from Switzerland on the ship Thistle, via Glasgow, Scotland, to America, arriving August 29, 1730, and settling in Lancaster county, Pa. He was born April 4, 1696, and died in January; 1753, aged fifty-seven years, nine months, and two days. Henry, the forefather of this branch of the family, is traced five generations. These facts and the following genealogy are taken from a genealogical chart made by Simon Mohler, a descendant of Henry, who died an aged man in Lancaster county, Pa. He took the facts from the old records, tombstones and tradi-tions of the family. From Jacob the following branch comes: He married Mariah BUCHER, and they had the following children-Mary, Fannie, John, George, Kate, and Elizabeth A. From John of this generation, who was the fourth from the founder of the family in America, spring-Elias, Jacob, George, Emanuel, William, Nancy and Polly. From Emanuel spring-John, Rebecca, George, Sarah, Susan and Eliza. This is all the record preserved by Jacob, the son of Ludwig. From Henry, the great-great-grandfather of our subject, son of Ludwig the founder of the family and the ancestor of this branch of the Mohler family, spring-Sarah, Marion, Susan, Henry, great-grandfather of our subject; John Jacob, Cris, Sarah and Eliza. These are the third. The fourth generation from Henry of the third generation, are Mary, John, Henry, grand-father of our subject; Samuel and Elizabeth. The fifth generation from Henry of the fourth generation, are- Samuel, Hannah, Rebecca, Allen, the father of our subject; John and Eliza. From the sixth generation from Allen of the fifth (the father of our subject), spring six children: Daniel, Samuel, Henry, John, Mary and Ellen. Henry Mohler, grandfather of the subject, was a substantial farmer of Lancaster county, Pa., and married Annie LANDIS. They were German Baptists and it is believed that all the Mohlers were German Baptists. He died at forty-five years of age in Lancaster county, Pa Allen, son of the above and father of our subject, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1801, received a common education and became a farmer. His father gave him $1,000 in land in Cumberland county, Pa. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Ludwig KURTZ of Lancaster county, Pa., and to them were born five children. This wife died, and he married Sarah MURPHY, and by her had one child, Ellen. After marriage he resided in Lancaster county, Pa., two years, and then lived in Cumberland county, Pa., until 1854, when he came to Clinton county, Ind., and settled on eighty acres of land in Ross township, to which he added until he owned 120 acres and was a prosperous farmer. He was an honorable, hard-working man, respected by all who knew him. He died in 1885, aged seventy-five years. Samuel Mohler, our subject, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., April 5, 1836, received a common education and became a carpenter and farmer. He came, when eighteen years of age, with his parents to Indiana and followed the trade of a carpenter for twelve years, and built many barns in this part of the county, especially on Twelve Mile Prarie. In 1866 he married Mary J., daughter of George and Rebecca (THRUSH) STHALER, from Pennsylvania, of English descent. Mary J. was born in Hagerstown, Md., September 23, 1846. Her parents died. when she was but seven years old. Her father was a blacksmith and died in Harrisburg, Pa., and she was brought up by her uncle, Jacob THRUSH, who came to Indiana in 1854 and settled in Ross township. He was a substantial farmer and blacksmith. To Mr. and Mrs. Mohler were born nine children: Sarah, married Noah REPPART, a farmer of Ross township; Albert, married Rebecca ANDERSON, is a baker and confectioner in La Fayette, and has one child; Edward, Simon, Eliza, Manson, Annie, Willis and Margie. After marriage Mr. Mohler settled on his pres-sent farm in Owen township. He and wife are members of the German Baptist church, in which he has been deacon ten years. In politics he is a republican. He is an industrious, hard-working man and has brought up a respectable family of children and has given them all good educations. Pages 809-810. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MOORE, George E. , D. D. S.,
GEORGE E. MOORE, D.D.S., of Frankfort, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Acton, Ontario, June 3, 1868, and is a son of John and Jennie Moore. John Moore, the father was born in Nickell, in 1841, and Jennie Moore, the mother, was born in Ogdensburg, N. Y., in 1846. They were married at Guelph, Ontario, November 1, 1865, and first located in Acton, where John Moore engaged in the saw-mill and lumber business and remained there until 1873, and then moved to Limehouse, Ontario, where he engaged in the lumber and lime trade, was successful financially, and still resides there. To Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been born four children-Charles, of Lancaster, Ohio, photographer; George E., whose name opens this paragraph; and Albert and Frank, at home. George E. Moore attended the high-school in Guelph, graduated in 1886, and then for three years was employed as clerk in the wholesale hardware store of J. M. Bond & Co.; he next entered the Ohio Dental college at Cincinnati; (the second established in the United States) October 1, 1889, and graduated in March, 1892, and then engaged as an assistant in Monroe, Mich., where he remained one-and-a-half years; then passed a year in Chicago, and finally came to Frankfort, and here achieved a fine reputation and built up a lucrative practice considering the brief period he has been here. He has finely equipped rooms and makes a specialty of crown and bridge work, the highest branch of his art and the crucial test of the abilities of the artist. Dr. Moore is a Knight of Pythias, and is personally a most genial gentleman. Page 810
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MOORE, John Z.
JOHN Z. MOORE, deceased, was born in Virginia in 1827, son of John and Laura (QUICK) MOORE, also natives of Virginia and of English descent. John Z. Moore was reared on his father's farm and came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1852, and here bought 140 acres of land, and at the time of his death he owned 257 acres in Jackson township. He died November 2, 1890, his wife having preceded him to the grave November 1, 1888. They were the parents of eight children, as follows: James, Catherine, Clara B., John B., Andrew, two that died in infancy, and Angeline, the only survivor of the eight. Angeline has been twice married. Her first union was with Daniel VENIS, to whom she bore one child-Miley N., who lives in Jackson township and owns sixty-nine acres of good land, which his mother gave him. He married Mattie DeMOSS, and to this union two children have been born -- Belva F. and Lemon. Mr. Venis died in 1878; Mrs. Venis then married Charles Wolf, July 8, 1894. Mr. Wolf is a business man of Frankfort and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Wolf is a member of the United Brethren church. Mr. Wolf is a republican. Mrs. Wolf still owns 157 acres of fine land in Jackson township, Clinton county. Page 813
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MORRISON, Henry Y.
HENRY Y. MORRISON, a widely known public man, eminent lawyer, and representative citizen of Frankfort, is a native of Adams county, Ohio, where his birth occurred on the fifteenth day of March, 1826. His father, James Morrison, was born in Fleming county, Ky., February 10, 1795, and was the son of John and Elizabeth (McGARY) MORRISON, natives of Ireland and early settlers of Kentucky. John Morrison was a farmer by occupation and pursued that useful calling in the above state until 1802, at which time he emigrated to Ohio, settling in Adams county, where his death subsequently occurred. He reared the following children--James, John, Henry, William, Joseph, Jane, Hannah, Elizabeth and Mary.
James Morrison, father of Henry Y., was born and reared a farmer, taught school in his early days, and in 1828 moved from Ohio to Fountain county, Ind., thence, in the spring of 1835, came to the county of Clinton, locating in what is now Warren township. He entered a tract of government land, to which he made additions by subsequent purchase, and resided on his home place until his death in the month of October, 1870. James Morrison was married in Adams county, Ohio, September 30, 1818, to Margaret Sphar, who was born in Washington county, Pa., July 27, 1802, the daughter of Martin and Margaret (DUNCAN) SPHAR. The following are the names of the children born to Mr. And Mrs. Morrison--John, Martin, Henry Y., Sarah J., Margaret A., James and Owen. The mother of these children died July 17, 1886. James Morrison served as surveyor of Fountain county two terms of two years each, and for two terms was a member of the board of commissioners of the county of Clinton. He served as justice of peace and township assessor, and was a man of good judgment and many excellent traits of character.
Henry Y. Morrison was ten years old when his parents moved to Clinton county, and his only means of education was an occasional subscription school, which he attended during the winter season until his seventeenth year. He improved every opportunity offered, and having prepared himself for teaching by attending a private school taught by his friend, John F. CROTHERS, at that time auditor of Clinton county--he began, at the age of nineteen, to teach during the winter and worked on the farm the remainder of the year. He was engaged in educational work each successive winter until thirty years of age, at which time, in the fall of 1856, he was elected treasurer of Clinton county. At the close of his first term he was reelected by a majority of 507, and during the time he served as treasurer, he devoted his spare moments to the study of law. He continued his legal studies after the expiration of his official term and also served as county school examiner. In 1863, he entered the law department of the Northwestern Christian university, now Butler university, at Indianapolis, from which institution he was graduated the same year, and shortly thereafter returned to Frankfort and effected a copartnership in the practice with the Hon R. P. DAVIDSON. Mr. Davidson, after one year, removed to La Fayette, and Mr. Morrison then became associated with Hon. T. H. PALMER, which partnership was dissolved six years later. Subsequently Mr. Morrison entered into partnership with Hon. J. V. KENT and Dallas HOLMAN, and still later was associated with his sons, James W., Martin A. and John C. Morrison. He practiced successfully in the courts of Clinton and other counties of central Indiana until 1884, since which time he has not been actively engaged in the legal business. In 1867, Mr. Morrison was elected representative to the stat! e legislature from Clinton county and proved a most useful member of that body by bringing about much needed legislation. Among the bills introduced by him was one known as a "law for the encouragement of the drainage of wet lands," otherwise known as "the individual application law," under which there have been more, than 500 miles of ditching done in Clinton county alone. Mr. Morrison has always been interested in the commercial, agriculture and intellectual advancement of his county. He assisted in organizing the Logansport, Crawfordsville & Terre Haute R. R. company, now known as the Vandalia, of which he was chosen a director, and he spent considerable time and money in securing donations of right-of-way, etc. He also assisted in organizing the Frankfort & Kokomo R. R. company, and was complimented by being elected first president of the same, and retaining the office for a number of years after its completion. He devoted several years, while in the prime of life, to secure the construction of this road, was a director of the La Fayette, Muncie & Bloomington R. R. company, and at one time was president of Frankfort & State Line company.
Politically, Mr. Morrison has always acted with the democratic party. He served as president of the school board of Frankfort, and also as president of the Clinton county Agricultural society, much of the success of the latter being due to his superior management. Financially, Mr. Morrison has met with deserved success, being at this time numbered among the wealthy men of Clinton county. He is proprietor and founder of the town of Forest on the Frankfort & Kokomo road, now the "Clover Leaf," and he owns valuable property throughout Clinton county and in the city of Frankfort. Mr. Morrison is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the commandery, the mystic shrine, and is a thirty-second degree Mason. He has filled nearly every official position within the gift of his lodge, and represented his commandery in a national conclave recently held in the city of Denver, Colo. He is also an Odd Fellow; and has been a delegate to six national democratic conventions. On the twenty-ninth day of February, 1852, Mr. Morrison was united in marriage to Miss Nancy A. Campbell, daughter of William and Peninah (DENMAN) CAMPBELL, who were natives of Pennsylvania among the early pioneers of Clinton county. Mrs. Morrison was born in Clinton county, Ind., July 30, 1832, and is the mother of the following children: James W., a well-known lawyer of Frankfort; Margaret, wife of Luther HEICHERT; Martin A., member of Frankfort bar; John C., an attorney-at-law and dealer in real estate; and an infant that died unnamed. Mrs. Morrison, by personal effort, obtained an excellent education, which was supplemented by one year's attendance at DePauw university, Greencastle, Ind., after which she taught in the common schools of Clinton county for several terms. She is a lady of exceptional mental attainments and wide and varied information; a faithful wife and loving mother.
Pages 811-813 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MORRISON,Owen A. J., M. D.
OWEN A. J. MORRISON, M.D., who is successfully engaged in the practice of the medical profession in Middlefork, has the honor of being a native of Clinton county. He was here born February 26, 1845, and is a son of James and Margaret Morrison, who were highly respected people of the community. Upon his father's farm he was reared to manhood, and in the common schools of Warren township he acquired his primary education. He afterward pursued his studies in Frankfort. When he had attained his majority he began farming the old homestead, which he operated until 1878, but it was his earnest desire to enter thc medical profession, and in that year it became possible for him in some degree to carry out his cherished plans. Mr. Morrison at that time entered the medical college of Fort Wayne, Ind., and after pursuing a two years' course was graduated therefrom on the second of March, 1880. Immediately after, he opened an office in Middlefork, where he has remained continuously since, and during the period that has elapsed he has built up a large practice, which is still increasing. He is a close student of his profession and his skill and ability well merit his success. On the twentv-ninth of November, 1866, was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Morrison and Miss Annie E. JOHNSTON, daughter of William V. and Lucy (FUELL) JOHNSTON. Her parents were numbered among the early settlers of this county, and in their family were seven children, namely: Annie, wife of our subject; Catherine, Blake and Bartholomew, all deceased; Marjory, wife of Marion STOTTER; Martha, wife of Martin CAMPBELL; Effie, wife of Albert BETTS. Mrs. Morrison was born August 11,, 1848. Two children grace the union of the doctor and his wife~Olive B., who was. born May 11, 1869, and is the wife of Andrew J. FARRIER; and William H., who was born January 30, 1871, and married Hattie SCHAFER. Dr. Morrison takes some interest in civic societies and belongs to Middlefork lodge, No. 304, F. & A. M., and also to the Good Templars' society. He holds membership with the Universalist church, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a prohibitionist, having supported that party since 1884. He has always made his home in Clinton county, and those who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his warmest friends, a fact which indicates an honorable and well spent life. Those who know him esteem him highly for his sterling worth and strict integrity, and he well deserves representation in this volume. Pages 814 - 817. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MUMMERT, Jacob A.
Jacob A. Mummert, for many years one of the leading general farmers of Warren township, now living in his pleasant home in the town of Sedalia, Owen township, was born in Cass county, Indiana, August 12, 1874. He is a son of Henry and Sarah Ann (PLANK) MUMMERT. The father was born December 25, 1844, in Adams county, Pennsylvania, and he has a good farm in Deer Creek township, Cass county, Indiana, where he has a good farm and where he has lived since boyhood, having come from the Keystone state many years ago. The mother of our subject was born August 6, 1850 in Cass county, Indiana, where she spent her life, dying there in November, 1893. These parents received their education in the common schools, which they attended a few years during the winter months. In early life Henry Mummert learned the carpenters trade, which he followed for a number of years, but finally turned his attention to farming. He had an exceptionally large family, seventeen children, fifteen of whom are still living: Amanda J., Laura A., Charles O., Jacob A., Hester E., William D., infant daughter, died when three days old, unnamed; Franklin P., Emma S., Stella M., Martha C., Harry and Mary, twins; John H., Earle E., and Merle M., twins; a boy, unnamed, died in infancy.
Jacob A. Mummert grew to manhood on the home farm in Cass county, and he received his education in the district schools there. On September 8, 1897 he married Elsie V. SHAFFER, who was born in Owen township, Clinton county, May 14, 1877. She is a daughter of Andrew A. and Mary SHAFFER, both now deceased. Mrs. Mummert grew to womanhood in her native community and was there educated in the public schools. Her union with Mr. Mummert has been without issue.
Our subject began farming for himself when young in years. He removed from Cass county to Clinton county, in the spring of 1895, working on a farm until his marriage, then he rented and farmed for seven years, then purchased eighty acres of his own in Warren township in February, 1905, and lived there until the spring of 1912, when he moved to the town of Sedalia, where he now lives, not retired, but looking after and helping on his farm, wherever a helping hand is needed. He was very successful as a general farmer and stock raiser. He now rents his fine farm of eighty acres, all of which is tillable but eleven acres, of which ten acres is in timber. He owns a thirty horse-power, Overland automobile, five passenger, 1913 model, and he and his family enjoy trips over the country. Politically, he is a Democrat, but has never been especially active in public affairs. Fraternally, he belongs to the Knights of Pythias in Sedalia. Religiously, he is a member of the Presbyterian church at Geetingsville and a liberal supporter of the same.
pp. 628-629 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
JOHN MURPHY, an ex-soldier, and one of the most prosperous farmers of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., is of Irish ancestry, but descends from an American family that antedates the Revolutionary war. His great-grandfather was, indeed, one of the patriots of that historical and heroic struggle, having entered the army that fought for the independence of America from Juniata county, Pa., where he had settled. Andrew Murphy, the son of this Revolutionary hero, was born in Pennsylvania married Martha WHARRY, and was an early settler of Clinton county, Ind. He followed farming all his life, was a strict Presbyterian, and in politics was a Jacksonian democrat. Alexander B. Murphy, son of Andrew and Martha (WHARRY) MURPHY, was the father of John Murphy, the subject espescial of this sketch, was born and reared in Pennsylvania, where he married Mary VanSWERIGAN, daughter of E. VanSweringen, a wealthy farmer, and came to Indiana about the year 1857. For two years he lived in Carroll county, and in 1859 came to Clinton county and purchased and improved a farm of eighty acres. He also taught for some years in Pennsylvania and Indiana. Mrs. Murphy died February 15, 1859, in Carroll county, Ind., the mother of the following children: John, Andrew, Margaret, Mary J., Martha W., and Druscilla, who died in infancy in Pennsylvania. Alexander B. Murphy then married the widow TETRICK, with whom he lived happily until his death, November 30, 1882, when he was buried with Masonic honors. John Morrison , whose name heads this biographical notice, was born in Juniata county, Pa., May 25, 1840, and has always been a farmer. He came to Indiana with his parents, and August 29, 1862, enlisted in company I, One Hundredth regiment Indiana volunteer infantry, and took an active part in the engagements in which his regiment participated, including the siege of Vicksburg, the Atlanta campaign, Sherman's march to the sea, the battles of Jackson, Miss., at Chattanooga, at Knoxville, again at Cattanooga, and at Resaca was knocked down by the explosion of a shell, and was struck by a spent ball at Missionary Ridge. He fought twice at Jonesboro, fought at Savannah, and marched on to Washington to take part in the grand re-view. Although he passed through all these perils and hardships, he was never sick nor in hospital, and was honorably discharged May 20, 1865. He now receives seventeen dollars per month for his gallantry and faithful service to his country. November 1, 1866, Mr. Murphy was married to Rebecca KELLY, a sister of James and William Kelly, whose biographies will be found elsewhere in this volume. In 1876, Mr. Murphy and wife settled on a farm of seventy acres in Michigan township, which farm he has increased to ninety acres, all highly improved and in a fine state of cultiva-tion; his residence is modern in its construction, is well furnished, and is an ornament to the neighborhood, and his barn is substantial and commodious. In politics, Mr. Murphy is a populist, and was honored by that party, in 1892, by the nomination for the office of county treasurer. Fraternally, Mr. Murphy is a member of Herman lodge, No. 184, F. & A. M., and of Stone River post, G. A. R., at Frankfort. He is respected as a most energetic and useful citizen, and as a progressive agriculturist, and socially he and wife stand very high. They have no children. Pages 817-818. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MUSE, Frank C.
FRANK C. MUSE, who is extensively engaged in contracting and building in Mulberry, is recognized as one of the most prominent business men of the place, and in the history of the county well deserves representation. Like many of his fellow-citizens, he is a native of Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred in Lehigh county on the fifteenth of September, 1854. In that county his parents, Charles and Sarah (HARTLER) MUSE, were also born. During his boyhood Frank learned the carpenter trade with his father, and soon became an efficient and expert workman, so that at the age of eighteen be was admitted to a full partnership in a large contracting business. In 1878 he came to Clinton county, Ind., and located two miles east of Mulberry and lived there three years, and then built in the town, and moved into his house in the fall of 1881. In 1885, he also established a butcher shop in Mulberry, which he managed for three years, and at the same time continued his work at carpentering. The firm of Muse & Son employ twelve hands and are doing an extensive and constantly increasing business.
In 1877, Frank C. Muse was joined in wedlock with Miss Clara MOHER, daughter of John and Amanda MOHER. Their marriage has been blessed with a family of eight children, six of whom are yet living, viz: Milton, who was born December 8; 1877, died April 20, 1878; Oliver F., born February 4,1879; Howard M., born April 9, 1881; Beulah A., born December 9, 1882; Mamie M., born March 27, 1885. Harry R., born February 12, 1887, died in 1892; Sada, born November 3, 1892; and Claude I., born April 3, 1894. Mr. and Mrs. Muse hold membership with the Lutheran church, and in social circles occupy an enviable position. Mr. Muse votes with the democratic party, but has never been an office seeker, preferring to give his time and attention to his business interests, in which he has met with good success. He is progressive and enterprising, faithfully lives up to his part of the contract, is straightforward and honorable in all dealings, and therefore receives from the public a liberal patronage. He is also a valued citizen and one who takes a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community.
Page 818. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.