The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
McBRIDE, Joseph A.
Foresight is one of the greatest assets of the individual. The average man has a good hindsight. We all know what we should have done yesterday, what investments ought to have been made last year. The real problem is to know what to do today. There have aIways been great opportunities in Clinton county for the young and rniddle-aged men who were not afraid to go into the fields and work and wait for time to bring them recompense for their years of toil. Yes, both in the country and in the town, there have been for a century, and are yet, great opportunities in Clinton county awaiting the man of foresight and industry.
One of the well known citizens of Washington township who has been alert to the present day opportunities in the locality, of which this history treats is Joseph A. McBride, who was born here on the old homestead October 27, 1863. He is a son of Thomas McBride, deceased, one of the pioneer settlers of this county, who was born in Butler county, Ohio, and was a son of William McBride, who was born in Ireland, of Scotch-Irish parentage. He emigrated to the United States when young and here spent the rest of his life. Both William McBride and his wife, Sarah, are deceased and are buried in this township. They were the parents of four sons and one daughter.
Thomas McBride was born in 1836, was reared amid pioneer conditions, and received a meager schooling in a log school house. He married Margaret J. FICKLE, also of a fine old family, a daughter of Joseph Fickle, who was a son of William Fickle, the latter having been one of the largest landowners in Clinton county, owning at one time two thousand and five hundred acres, most of it having been bought of the government. He came to this county about 1832. Joseph Fickle's mother was known in her maidenhood as Elizabeth BROWN, a daughter of Judge Brown, a leading citizen here in his day. The following children were born to Thomas McBride and wife: Joseph A., of this review; Frank A.. Ira, Charles and AIpy. Two children died in early life. The father was a Democrat, and both he and his wife are members of the United Presbvterian church.
Joseph A. McBride was reared on the home farm and he received a common school education. He spent eleven years as a teacher, giving great satisfaction, his services being in much demand. He was married on March 10, 1886, to Hattie V. HARSHMAN, a daughter of Martin V. Harshman, a well known resident of Washington township, a son of Henry Harshman, a pioneer of Clinton county, who came here from Butler county, Ohio, in an early day. Mrs. McBrides mother was known in her maidenhood as Eliza HENDERSON. Her death occurred in, 1875, leaving four children: Mamie O., Hattie V., Sylvester H., and Claude S. Her husband died in Frankfort at the age of seventy-seven years.
Mr. McBride owns the old Fickle homestead, one of the best farms in the township, and he has kept it well improved and well cultivated and the buildings carefully repaired. He carries on general farming and stock raising. He has a silo, ten by thirty feet. He is agent for a silo concern and has sold forty within the past four months. He is an enthusiast on the silo question and knows all about its value to the farmer.
To our subject and wife have been born four children: Elsa P., Elmer Earl died when six years old; Thomas M. died when eight years old, and Ruth. Politically, our subject is a Democrat. Pages 454 455. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
McCLAMROCH, Charles B.
Whether the elements of success in this life are innate attributes of the individual, or whether they are quickened by a process of development, is impossible to clearly determine. Yet the study of a successful life, whatever the field of endeavor, is none the less interesting and profitable by reason of the existence of this same uncertainty. In studying the life history of Charles B. McClamroch, prominent business man and leading agriculturist of Kirklin township, Clinton county, and one of the substantial and enterprising citizens of this section of Indiana, we find many qualities in his make-up that would insure success in any career if properly directed. In his case, it has resulted in a life of good to the community, and to himself and family. The splendid success which has come to Mr. McClamroch is directly traceable to the salient points in his character. With a mind capable of planning he combined a will strong enough to execute his well-formulated purposes, and his great energy, sound judgment, keen discrimination and perseverance have resulted in the accumulation of a handsome property, and at the same time he has proven himself in every way to be a worthy son of a worthy sire.
Mr. McClamroch was born December 8, 1861, in Kirklin township, Clinton county. He is a son of Robert and Elizabeth J. (HOLLCRAFT) McCLAMROCH. Robert McClamroch was born in Butler county, Ohio, October 24, 1834. His ancestral record is traceable through several generations to Scotland, from which country his great grandfather emigrated to America in our Colonial days, and settled in North Carolina. In this state his son, James McClamroch, grandfather of Robert McClamroch, was born, grew to manhood, there married Elizabeth CORNELL, and was the father of the following children: Thomas, father of Robert; James, John, Mrs. Martha J. LONGFELLOW and Mrs. Sarah BEAL. Thomas McClamroch was born in August, 1808, in North Carolina, but a year later the family removed from that state to Butler county, Ohio, settling on a farm. There he grew to manhood, and was united in marriage to Nancy BILDRIDGE, who was born in Ohio, November 15, 1815. The parents of Mrs. McClamroch were Daniel and Sarah (WOODS) BALDRIDGE, both natives of Ohio and members of old and highly respected families of Butler county. After his marriage Thomas McClamroch engaged in farming, which he carried on in Ohio until 1838. Then he emigrated to Indiana, locating in Boone county, where he purchased a tract of wild land, which he afterward cleared and developed into a good farm. He possessed abilities as a trader, and during a residence in Boone county, covering a period of about eleven years, he became the possessor of over eleven hundred acres of land, besides other valuable property. In 1849 he moved to Indianapolis, from which time until his death, December 15, i859, he lived a life of retirement. He was a man of excellent judgment and intelligence, an earnest member of the Christian church, which he assisted liberally with his means, and until 1854 he supported the Democratic party, but after that year was a strong adherent of the principles taught by the Republican party.
Robert McClamroch was four years old when brought by his parents to Boone county, Indiana. In his youth he assisted his father in the work on the farm, and such education as he gained was that afforded by the common schools, which he attended during the winter season until he was twenty-one years of age, when he entered what is now Butler College, then known as the Northwestern Christian University, at Indianapolis. He then accepted a position with the old Idianapolis, (sic) Cincinnati & Lafavette Railroad Company, now the Big Four, as bridge repairer, holding the position four years. February 7, 1858, he married Elizabeth HOLLCRAFT, daughter of Abraham Hollcraft and wife, and of this union seven children were born: Mary F., married to C. K. SMITH; Charles B., the subject of this sketch; Thomas (dec.), Abraham A., James. Nancy, married to Nathan FRITH (dec.), then to H. C. McCLAMROCH, and Grace, married to James LUCAS. The mother of the above named children, passed to her rest on November 8, 1896.
For two years after his marriage Robert McClamroch engaged in farming on the old homestead, removing then to Indianapolis, but not being satisfied with his residence in the capital city, he moved to a farm in Kirklin township, Clinton county. This was in the early sixties, and here he continued to reside until the year 1891. Many years before this date, however, he had become an important factor in the business world. His mind had a financial trend and he gradually became interested in banking affairs. This interest took practical shape in 1874, when he was made director in the Farmers' Bank at Frankfort. In 1881 he was made president of the institution, a place which his integrity and ability retained for him continuously up to the time of his death. The demands of his business in the county seat became such that in 1891 he moved to Frankfort and retained his residence there up to the end, the final summons coming to him on January 22, 1900, at the family residence on South Jackson street.
In a business way he was eminently successful, and he left what was probably the largest estate in Clinton county, estimated at a fourth of a million dollars, his holdings consisting of several hundred acres of Clinton county real estate, city property, a large stock in the Farmers' Bank of Frankfort and valuable holdings of realty in Indianapolis and Marion county. He also carried heavy life insurance. In attaining to this high position in the business and financial world Mr. McClamroch retained to a remarkable degree the good will and confidence of those with whom he had transactions. Many indeed, are there now among Frankfort and Clinton county citizens who were materially helped by him. In judging human nature he had few superiors, having the rare faculty of closely estimating a man as to his business and personal integrity. This endowment stood well to his advantage and to that of the institution of which he was the head, but it can truthfully be said that he never used this faculty as an oppressor. He was of decisive character, open in his expression and tenacious in his purpose, and while never losing sight of a full and complete regard for the rights and privileges of others, he was unyielding in protecting that which he clearly thought his own. Personally he was unpretentious, unassuming and always courteous. He appeared to have no higher ambition than to be holiest and successful, and none who knew him well ever questioned but that he was both. In a social way he was pleasant and generous to his friends.
At the time of Robert McClamroch's death lengthy tributes were paid him by the local press, which, to copy in full would far transcend the limits of the present article, so we quote only the following paragraph from The Frankfort Evening News, of January 22, 1900:
"In the death of Robert McClamroch Clinton county loses one of its most valued and beloved citizens. He was a man universally esteemed. While a man of great wealth his success never excited the envy of the people, as is so frequently the case, and the writer has the first time to hear an ill word spoken of him. His charities, while not paraded, were many. There are hosts of people throughout this and adjoining counties who have been recipients of financial assistance of a substantial kind from this great-hearted modest man who will bear witness to this statement. His interpretation of the word charity was not indiscriminate giving but to help those who were willing to help themselves. He was never known to force an honest debtor and there are many prosperous people today who owe their success to Mr. McClamroch's kindness in starting them in business. He was a splendid judge of human nature-could tell the worthy from the unworthy with wonderful accuracy, and a creditor was always safe in his hands. It was due to this rule which he adopted in early life, that he won the admiration (and held it) of all with whom he came in contact: due to this admirable trait of character that the genuine sorrow over his death exists today throughout tile community."
Robert McClamroch was preceded to the grave by his estimable wife four years, she having passed to the silent land November 8, 1896, after a lingering illness at the family residence in Frankfort. She was born July 19, 1835, grew to womanhood and was educated at Kirklin, Clinton county. She was a prominent member of the Christian church, and was always active in its work. She was universally loved and respected by her large circle of acquaintances to whom she was endeared by her many virtues. Kind and charitable, she was always the friend of the needy and distressed, a comfort in the hour of sorrow to those about her. The memory of her good deeds will continue to live on in the hearts of those who knew her.
Charles B. McCLAMROCH grew to manhood in Kirklin township, this county. His early education, which he received in the district schools there and in Frankfort, has been greatly supplemented by wide study and actual contact with the business world until today he is an exceptionally well in-formed man.
On April 8, 1891, he married Effie BERRY, who was born in the year 1871, in Jackson township, Clinton county, Indiana. She is a daughter of James and Louisa (BURCHART) BERRY, an influential and highly esteemed family of this county, and here Mrs. McClambroch grew to womanhood and received a common school education. She is a lady of many estimable attributes and is a favorite with a wide circle of friends.
The union of our subject and wife has been graced by the birth of two children: Mary, born June 7, 1895, and Charles, born April 8, 1903.
Charles B. McClamroch began life for himself on the farm in Kirklin township soon after he had quit school. He had much natural ability as a judge of livestock and soon began buying and shipping on a large scale, being very successful from the start, and he won the sobriquet of "The Kid Stock Buyer." In this vocation he was nearly always thrown with much older men who marveled at his good judgment and tact. Although known widely as a business man and banker, he has always carried on a large live stock business, raising large numbers annually and preparing them for the market, and he has for many years ranked among the most extensive and progressive general agriculturists of Clinton county. He owns four hundred and forty-seven acres in Kirklin township individually, and in partnership with his brother owns three hundred and twenty acres in another part of the same township. He lives in a commodious, modernly furnished and attractive home on the former tract. His land is all under a high state of improvement and cultivation, a small portion being in timber and pasture.
In the year 1908 he and Eli J. GOAR organized a state bank in the village of Kirklin, of which he has been president for some time, discharging the duties of the same in a manner as to reflect much credit upon himself and to the eminent satisfaction of the stockholders and patrons of the bank, which is regarded as one of the soundest and safest banks of this part of the state, and its prestige and large success has been due to the wise management, keen foresight and honest dealings of Mr. McClamroch.
Politically, he is a Progressive, and while he is deeply interested in all public matters as affecting the general upbuilding of his county, he has not cared for the emoluments of office, preferring to devote his exclusive attention to his large personal interests. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic Order, Knights of Pvthias, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, all of Kirklin. He seems to have inherited many of the sterling traits of character of his honored father, and is therefore popular with all classes and deserving of the high esteem in which he is universally held. Pages 448 452. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
JAMES McDAVIS, one of the most prominent citizens and farmers of Madison township, Clinton county, Ind. Was born in Liberty township, Butler county, Ohio, October 7, 1821, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (SWEET) McDAVIS, natives respectively of Vermont and New York. Williarn McDavis was born May 20, 1799, and Elizabeth (Sweet) McDavis was born June 28, 1798. When James was five years old his father moved into a hotel at Princeton, where the family lived three years, then removed to a hotel at Bethany, where the father died one year later at the early age of thirty-one years, leaving a wife and four children, of whom James was the eldest. The mother continued in the hotel until her family were grown to maturity, when she died, in October, 1874. The father lived at his birthplace until nineteen years old, then emigrated to Butler county, where he lived and died as before stated. The parents were of Scotch-English ancestry. Mr. McDavis served a few months at blacksmithing and carpentering, and was very skillful in the use of tools and made most of his own repairs. He at one time kept a general store and dealt in agricultural implements at Hamilton village. He also traveled over a great portion of the United States. James McDavis came to this county in 1843 and settled in Madison township, about one mile north of Mulberry, where he leased some land of James R. ELLIOTT, on which be lived eleven years. In 1854 he left the farm for two years and purchased forty acres of his present farm and soon afterward purchased sixty-two acres where he now lives, to which he has added from time to time until he now owns 132 acres. He came to this county with only three dollars in money in his pocket, and all he owned, includiug horses and wagon, were not worth more than $150. He was first married August 20, 1843, in Butler county, Ohio, to Miss Martha FLEMING, daughter of John Fleming, who was born in said county December 14, 1822. Miss Fleming's parents died when she was ten years of age, and she was left to care for herself when very young. Her death occurred September 10, 1865. and she was buried at Dayton, Tippecanoe county, Ind. She left three children--Frances F., born April 21, 1847; Jessie A., born July, 24. 1860; Elizabeth A. was born September 14, 1861, and died at the age of six months. Frances E. was married, and died July 14, 1874, leaving two children--Frank and Calvin. Jessie A. was married to John Mattox and is living in Ross township. Mr. McDavis was married the second time March 26, 1867 to Martha L. Lindley, daughter of Dodd and Sarah (SKILLMAN) LINDLEY, the former born in the state of New York in 1796, and died in 1846 in Butler county, Ohio; the latter born in 1801 near Trenton, N. J., and died in the same county in 1856. Mrs. McDavis was born in Butler county, Ohio, August 25, 1833, where her parents were also married. Mr. and Mrs. McDavis have one child, namely, James. who was born September 14, 1871, and is one of the representative young men of his township and has taken for his life partner Miss Leonora JACOBY. Mr. and Mrs. McDavis are rearing an orphan girl named Ella HAMILTON, whose parents died when she was but eleven years of age. Mrs. McDavis was reared a Baptist. Mr. McDavis is a Universalist and politically is a republican. He is president of the Dayton Gravel Road company and a director in the Farmers' Fire Mutual insurance company, of Clinton, Carroll and Tippecanoe counties. Pages 778-781 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
McGUIRE, William H., M. D.
WILLIAM H. McGUIRE, M. D., one of the most prominent medical practitioners in the city of Frankfort, was born in Carroll county, Ind., June 11, 1847, and is the son of John and Sarah (Michaels) McGuire natives of North Carolina and Virginia respectively and of Scotch-Irish extraction. The birth of John McGuire, the father of the doctor took place July 30, 1818, and the parents of John were Elias and Elizabeth (CROWL) MCGUIRE, who were also natives of North Carolina, from which State they removed to Butler county, Ohio, and thence in 1837 to Carroll county, Ind., where they passed, the remainder of their days. They were devout members of Methodist Episcopal church and in this faith reared their family, who were born and named in the following order: Isaac C., deceased; Daniel, deceased; William, of Clymers, Ind.; John, father of Dr. Wm. H.; Susan, Lavinia and Sarah, all three deceased; Elizabeth, wife of J. Tucker of Kansas. John McGuire came to Indiana with his parents and with them made his home, assisting in the care of the farm, until his marriage at the age of twenty-eight, when he engaged in farming on his own account in Carroll county, and followed this honorable vocation until his death, May, 10, 1891. His marriage took place, however, in Clinton county, Ind., September 3, 1846. Mrs. Sarah (Michaels) McGuire is a daughter of William and Susanna (NEHER) MICHAELS, who were both natives of Virginia and resided in Augusta county when their daughter was born. To the marriage of John and Sarah McGuire ten children were born, viz: William H., the subject of this sketch; John J., a stone cutter of Logansport, Ind.; Elisha H., farmer of Logansport; Samuel, deceased; Elias, farmer of Logansport; Susanna, wife of William Koble of Logansport; Sarah, deceased; E. Jasper, of Logansport; Mary, deceased, and Ella, wife of Charles Taylor, of Winamac, Ind. The mother of these children died August 9, 1894.
Dr. William H. McGuire received his primary education in the district schools; this was supplemented by a course of study in Wabash college for a year. This was followed by a course of study in medicine under Dr. F. A. Schultz, at Delphi, Ind., beginning in 1870, and this in turn was followed by graduation from the Eclectic Medical institute of Cincinnati, January 27, 1874. His first three years of practice were with his former preceptor, Dr. Schultz, and then in June, 1877, he settled in Frankfort. During his residence in Delphi the doctor became as popular as a democratic politician as he did as a physician, and in 1876 was elected coroner, the duties of which office he filled most satisfactorily to the public and with credit to himself until his removal to Frankfort. Here, in 1881, his political acumen and sagacity having been at once recognized, he was elected by his party as city treasurer, and for two years ably performed the duties of that office, at the same time making a most enviable reputation as a medical practitioner. Having given ample evidence of his superior abilities as a public officer, and having served as the first democratic treasurer of Frankfort, he, from 1884, until May, 1886, was selected as chairman of the county central committee and served in a most acceptable manner. He then resigned, and in December of 1885 was appointed special examiner for the United States pension bureau. After remaining in the pension office for two months, he was transferred to Bloomington, Ill., and ten months later to White Hall, in the same state, where he remained until May 30, 1888, when he was recalled to Washington, where he was on duty until September of the same year, and was then, assigned to duty at Springfield, Mo., at which point he resigned in April, 1889, and returned to Frankfort, Ind., where he has since been enjoying a lucrative general practice, and has, beside, been secretary of the board of examining surgeons for pensions since September, 1893.
The first marriage of Dr. McGuire took place in Clinton county, Ind.; September 6, 1868, to Miss Mary J. LOGAN, a daughter of David Logan and born in Franklin county, Ind., February 22, 1844. To this union were born five children, named as follows: Lenora May, deceased, Candace L., wife of George U. Scroggy, of Chicago Ill.; Willie F. deceased; Arthur L. C., of Frankfort, Ind., and an infant, deceased. The mother of these children died March 12, 1878, and the doctor next married, October 22, 1878, Miss Floretta Pence, who was born in Clinton county, Ind., February 27, 1846, and is a daughter of Wesley Gaskill. Mr. and Mrs. McGuire are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, while fraternally the doctor is a Freemason, an Odd Fellow, a member of the I. O. R. M. and a K. of H. He is a most faithful adherent of his party, is the owner of some valuable real estate in Frankfort, is eminent in his profession, and is universally respected by his fellow- citizens. Pages 781-782
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
McQUINN, John T.
JOHN T. McQUINN; a farmer of enterprise, residing in Forest township, Clinton county, Ind., is a native of Johnson county, Ind., and was born February 18,1842. His grandfather, Ezekiel McQuinn, was born in Virginia September 2, 1767. He was twice married and to his first marriage were born six children: Ruth, Susannah, Elizabeth Catherine, James and Isaiah. His wife died while yet a resident of Virginia, and later Mr. McQuinn moved to Kentucky, where he married Elizabeth COONS, who bore him seven children, viz.: Strather, Sarah, John, Willis, Martin, Jephtha and Newton. In 1834 he moved to and settled on a farm of 160 acres in Johnson county, Ind., at Nineveh, and he and wife were members of the old Baptist church society that erected their house of worship on a corner of his farm. Jephtha McQuinn, son of Ezekiel and father of John T., was born in Kentucky August 10, 1818, at the age of sixteen came with his father to the new home in Indiana, and in 1840 married Luzina Chappell, daughter of John and Mary (MUSSELMAN) CHAPPELL, to which union were born the following children: John T., Mary E. and Rebecca A. The mother of these children died when John T. was but eight years of age, and the father then married Elizabeth Musgrove, daughter of Nathan and Rebecca (CHAPPELL) MUSGROVE, the offspring of this marriage being William N., Newton A., Ira W., Levi and Silas H. The parents are still living in Johnson county on a farm of 145 acres.
John T. McQuinn has always lived on a farm. He married Sarah C. Crim, daughter of John and Mary (ADAMS) CRIM, both living in Boone county, Ind. The children born to John T. McQuinn are seven in number, viz.: Oscar M., Truda B., Mary L., Charles E., William A., Dezza B. and Annie C. Mrs. Sarah C. McQuinn died October 26, 1891, a pious member of the Christian church, mourned alike in the home circle and by a host of loving friends. Mr. McQuinn has a fine farm of 133 acres, in a good state of cultivation and improved with a new dwelling of good size and convenient in all respects. He is a progressive citizen and much respected by his neighbors His son Oscar, now twenty-one years of age and single, possesses much of his father's spirit of enterprise, and has already shown himself to be a farmer of shrewd judgment and foresight. pp. 785-786 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
McKINNEY, Charles W.
No better representative of the thrifty and progressive younger generation of farmers in Clinton county can be found than Charles W. McKinney, the scion of an old Hoosier family. He believes in adopting the best twentieth century methods in his agricultural work and is doing well whatever is worth doing at all; no dilatory tactics are evidenced in his life, and he leaves no stone unturned whereby he may benefit himself, but he takes a loyal citizen's view of the community in which he lives, and does his duty to his neighbors and friends by aiding in every enterprise which works for the common good.
Mr. McKinney was born April 7, 1869, in Sugar Creek township, Clinton county, the son of James and Josephine (WARD) McKINNEY. The father was born February 28, 1839, in this county, and died in 1904, after a worthy life spent in the pursuit of farming. He was a Republican politically. The mother was also born in Clinton county in 1843, and departed this life in 1889. Both parents had good common school educations. Five children were born of the union: Cora (deceased), Charles W., of this review; Mary, Dolly (deceased) and Flora.
Mr. McKinney attended the common schools of his native county when he was a young mail, but soon after drifted into farming, which he has followed up until the present time. Mr. McKinney owns one hundred and ninety acres of fertile land in this township, all of which is tillable with the exception of twelve or fifteen acres. The estate is also well tiled and the commodious home thereupon is the handiwork of Mr. McKinney himself. The best improvements are used in the work of the farm and they include a good silo. Beside the general farm work our subject carries on general breeding of good live stock.
On August 13, 1893, Mr. McKinney was married to Minnie BILLINGSLEY, who was born in Shelby county, Ind., in 1870, and is the daughter of Charles and Jane (HERNDON) BILLINGSLEY, and received a good common school educatio. (sic) Six children have been born of the union: Earle, 1893; Edward, 1895; Virgil, 1897, died 1899; Pearl, 1899, Nora, 1902; and May, 1904.
Fraternally, Mr. McKinney belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Pickard, lodge No. 321. He is a member of the Baptist church, and is ever ready to assist them in their noble work. The Republican party has a stanch supporter in Mr. McKinney. Pages 823 & 824. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
McKINSEY, Mordecai B.
MORDECAI McKINSEY, a prominent citizen of Clinton county, Ind., and for a number of years an able and acceptable minister of the Christian church, is descended paternally from Scotch ancestry and traces his family history back to his grandfather, George McKinsey, who came from the old world in colonial times and served for seven years in the war of the Revolution. George McKinsey settled originally in South Carolina, where he engaged in farming until about the year 1808, when he migrated to Warren county, Ohio, his death occurring in the latter state a number of years ago. His son, Nehemiah, father of the subject, was born in South Carolina in I 795, and appears to have inherited the martial spirit of his father, as he served with distinction in the war of 1812 under Gen. Harrison. In 1816 he located near Vincennes, Ind., and in 1822 moved to Montgomery county, where he made his home until his removal to the county of. Clinton in the year 1830. In the latter county he became. the possessor of a valuable tract of land, consisting of 320 acres, the greater part of which he improved and upon which the remaining years of his life were passed. His wife, Catherine ELLIOTT, to whom he was married Lebanon, Ohio, in 1816, bore him nine children -- Andrew J., George E., Urban C., Joab, and Mordecai B., living; those deceased are Abraham, Wesley, Samuel and Eliza. After a married life of fifty-eight years, Nehemiah and Catherine McKinsey died December 19, 1874, and October 5, 1875, respectively.
Mordecai B. McKinsey is a native of Clinton county, Ind., and dates his birth from the nineteenth day of August, 1833. Like the majority of country boys, his early years were spent in the routine of farm labor; but he attended the common schools, where he acquired a fair English education, which was afterward supplemented by a course of study in the high school of Frankfort. When but sixteen years of age he began teaching, and followed that profession successfully during the winter season for a period of fifteen years, farming and attending school in the meantime. On the twenty-first of May, 1854, Mr. McKinsey was married to Mary A. YOUNG, after which event he went to Nebraska, where, for about seven years, he followed farming not far from the city of Omaha. He returned to Clinton county in the year 1861, and here resumed agricultural pursuits, which he followed until 1865, in March of which year he enlisted in company K, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Indiana infantry, with which he served until honorably discharged August 4 of the same year. Returning from the army, he again resumed farming and was thus engaged until 1871, but in the meantime he yielded to an inclination of long standing and entered the ministry of the Christian church: He was formally ordained to ministerial work in 1869, and since that time has been a faithful preacher of the Word in various parts of Indiana, principally the counties of Miami, Cass, Fulton, Hamilton, Clinton, Boone, Montgomery, Fountain and Delaware, in all of which he has done good work, strengthened old congregations and organized new churches. At this time he is preaching at four different Places, and still sustains his reputation as an able and Successful exponent of the teaching of the church with which he is identified. During the year 1889-90 his specific work was that of evangelizing and building up and organizing congregations in destitute places, a duty for which his well-known abilities peculiarly fitted him. His first wife, of whom mention is made above, bore him one child and died on the nineteenth day of August, 1855. Mr. McKinsey's second marriage was solemnized October 8, 1863, with Martha Troutman, daughter of Greenup and Mahala (SHOEMAKER) TROUTMAN, a union severed by the death of Mrs. McKinsey on the eighth of October, 1880, it being their marriage anniversary. The following children were born to the above union: Maud and Madge, twins, whose birth occurred November 12, 1866. Maud became the wife of Edward SPRAY, and Madge married Burke BEARD, an attorney of Wolcott, Ind. Mr. McKinsey married his present wife, Mary J. EWAN, on the ninth day of February, 1885, and one child has blessed the union: Mordecai B. whose birth occurred June 13, 1888.
Mr. McKinsey is a member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity, belonging to subordinate lodge and encampment, in both of which he has held important official positions. He also belongs to the G. A. R., and in politics affiliates with the republican party. Pages 782-783 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/99/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/99/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.