- Me thru Mi -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
MEIFELD, John B.
JOHN B. MEIFELD --or Ben, as he is usually called-the oldest merchant tailor, and a well known citizen of Frankfort, Ind., was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, March 10, 1811. He is a son of John G. and Josephine (NORTKER) MEIFELD. The former was born in Oldenberg, Germany; the latter in Hanover, Germany. The father came to this country in 1843, landing in New Orleans, and then went to Cincinnati, Ohio. The mother came by the same route to Cincinnati in 1844. They were married in the city named and had born to them the following children: Josephine, deceased; John. B.; Anthony, deceased, and Emma. The mother died in Cincinnati in 1871, at the age of fifty-seven. The father and subject came together to Frankfort in 1873 and together established the business which the son since 1891, has conducted alone. The business has been a very successful one, and while the father is now retired, he is still active at the age of seventy-nine years. He is a pious member of the Catholic church and is highly respected by all classes of Frankfort citizens. John B. Meifeld received an excellent education at the parochial schools, and at St. Francis Xavier college at Cincinnati; learned tailoring under his father, and learned it well, becoming an accomplished cutter as well as a successful salesman. The marriage of Mr. Meifeld took place, in 1874, to Alice HILL, of Frankfort, and the happy union has been blessed by the birth of three children, viz: Mabel, Frederick and Paul. Personally, Mr. Meifeld is a very affable gentleman, is quite popular, not only with his customers, but with the public in general, and is at the present time secretary of five local building and loan associations. He does an extensive tailoring business, unexcelled by any in the city, and guarantees all his work. He is a democrat. Page 798
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MERIDITH, James W., Dr.
The most successful dental surgeon in Frankfort, Ind., was born near Flemingsburg, Ky., September 16, 1831. His parents were William R. and Harriet (DAVIS) MERIDITH, the former of whom was a native of Maryland and the latter of Kentucky. William R. Meridith was but a young man when he migrated from Maryland to Kentucky, engaged in farming, and in 1830 was married to Miss Davis, a native of Fleming county. In 1836 Mr. Meridith and his young wife went to Calloway County, Mo., where he superintended a farm until 1837, then came to Madison, Ind., where he lived a short time, and then moved to Morristown, Shelby County, Ind., where he died in 1839 - the father of five children; viz.: James Wayne, our subject: George D., deceased; Albert L.; Fletcher, an editor of Hutchinson, Kas. and Tabitha, deceased. Mrs. Harriet Meridith subsequently married, in Morristown, William ADAIR, a farmer, by whom she became the mother of one child, John T., now deceased, the mother dying in 1853.
Dr. J. W. Meridith remained on the farm until eight years of age, then worked out at chores, helping to support the family until his mother's second marriage. The family then located in Union County, Ind., for a year, then moved back to Shelby County, where he remained until sixteen, and then apprenticed himself at cabinetmaking for four years with A. C. COOLY, of Connersville, Ind. The last two years of his apprenticeship his mother passed with him. January 16, 1853, the doctor was married, near Versailles, Woodford County, Ky., to Missouri J. BOLING, a native of Woodford County, who bore one child, Jane (deceased), and she herself died June 16, 1855. The second marriage of Dr. Meridith took place at Frankfort, Ind., March 30, 1858 to Miss Eliza J. Armstrong, a native of Clinton County, and a daughter of Isaac ARMSTRONG, of whom further mention will be found elsewhere in this volume. To this union have been born nine children, named as follows: Hettie, deceased; Jennie, wife of William T. MOORE, merchant of Williamsport, Ind.; Georgie, a teacher in a city school of Frankfort; Lu A., jeweler; Carroll, Katie, Watt, Gus and Fletcher, at home. Dr. Meridith acquired the science of dentistry under Dr. MARTIN, of Franklin, Ind., and began its practice in the city of Frankfort, May 3, 1856, and, with the exception of nine years, when engaged in the dry goods trade, has been in active practice until the present time, standing at the head of the profession. As a member of the I. 0. 0. F., he represented his lodge in the grand lodge of the state in 1861, and has been honored with many other evidences of the high esteem in which he is held by his fellow-citizens. Page 800.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
MERRILL, Squire W.
SQUIRE W. MERRILL, is a railroad man of many years' experience. He was born in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw county, Mich., June 3, 1841. His father Squire C. Merrill, a native of Pittsfield, Mass., was born in the year 1800, and died at Wayne, Mich., in 1884. He was a son of Gad Merrill, also, a native of Pittsfield, Mass., and a descendant of an early English emigrant to the Bay state. In the state of New York, the subject's father married Mary Ann WHEELER, who bore him four children. For a second wife he married Harriet HAWKINS, the subject of this mention being the only child by this wife, who died when her son was quite young. The father married for the third wife Cynthia LYNDS, who bore one child. In 1825, Squire Merrill, Sr., with his first wife, set out by wagon for the west. They settled in Washtenaw county, Mich., where they lived the remainder of their lives. Farming was the occupation of Mr. Merrill. When he came to Michigan that state was a territory and its governor was Gen. Lewis CASS, under whom he served as United States marshal. He and Gen. CASS were intimate friends. His father and mother left Massachusetts in their latter days and joined him in Michigan, and made their home with him till death called them away.
The subject of this mention was born and reared upon a farm, and attended a few short winter terms of school in the old log-house in his neighborhood. At the age of fourteen years he became self-supporting, and for three years thereafter accepted whatsoever work he could get to do. In November, 1859, Mr. Merrill began his railroad career. At that date, he began breaking on the Dayton & Michigan R. R., with which company he remained till 1862, when he received a severe injury in the hip, for which, after considerable litigation, he obtained damages, the effect of which was a change of employers. He next entered the employ of the Detroit & Milwaukee R. R , in the latter part of 1862, with headquarters at Detroit. With this road Mr. Merrill remained for ten years, save one year in the meantime, when he was in the employ of the United States government. During that year, 1864-5, he was yard-master at Nashville, Tenn. In 1872, Mr. Merrill engaged with the Canada Southern railroad and helped construct that line, and later he became a conductor on the Chicago & West Michigan R. R. Afterward he held a similar position on the Flint & Pere Marquette R. R., then was in the same capacity on the Louisville, Paducuh & Southern, and subsequently ran on every branch of the Louisville & Nashville R. R. When S. R. Calloway, a personal friend of his, became receiver of the Detroit & Bay City R. R., Mr. Merrill became a conductor on that line, and he continued with Mr. Calloway during his superintendency. When Mr. Calloway received the management of the Toledo, St. Louis & Kansas City R. R., Mr. Merrill still remained with him, and since that date has either been train-master or conductor on this road, holding the latter position at the present time. While train-master he was stationed at Charleston Ill.; in August, 1892, he moved to Frankfort where he has since resided.
Mr. Merrill was married August 18, 1868 to Miss Emily M. EVANS, daughter of John and Katherine (MYERS) EVANS, who was born at McKeesport, Allegheny county, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Merrill have two children, namely Cad E., who is chief clerk for the St. Louis division of the "Clover Leaf" R. R., and Madge Emily. Mr. Merrill is a thirty-second degree Mason, belongs to the mystic shrine and commandery. He is an experienced railroad man, and during the long term of years spent in that capacity has had the unbounded confidence of the large corporations by which he has been employed. Gentlemanly and obliging in his intercourse with all, he has much of the good will of the traveling public, and it is a compliment justly earned to ascribe to him a popularity such as few men in his arduous calling ever attain. The domestic relations of Mr. Merrill have been felicitous in all respects, and he may well be congratulated on this account, also. Pages 801-802. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MERRITT, John H.
JOHN H. MERRITT, a substantial young farmer, was born in Johnson township, Clinton county, Ind., June 4, 1854, and this has always been his place of residence. Aubry Merritt, his great-grandfather, a patriot of the Revolution and of English parentage, lived and died in Hardy county, Va., where he owned a plantation and a number of slaves. Adam Merritt, son of Aubry, was born in Hardy county, Va., and married Catherine HARRIS of the same state. They moved to Coshocton county, Ohio, reared a family, and then came to Indiana, and settled in Clinton county in 1845, entering a farm. He was an old-line whig, but lived to be a stanch supporter of the republican party. William Merritt, son of Adam and father of John H., our subject, was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, April 2, 1824, and married Rachel Keever, daughter of John and Rachel (DRAKE) KEEVER, of Warren county, Ohio. The children born to this marriage were named, in order of birth, as follows: Mary E., Erasmus M., Margaret C., John H. and Clinton. The father of this family, William Merritt, has lived in Clinton county Ind., ever since his marriage, and is one of the most prominent citizens. His farm comprises 285 acres, and is improved with a substantial residence, barn, and all necessary farm buildings, and is in a fine state of cultivation. He is a strong republican in his politics, and in her religion his wife is a consistent Methodist. John H. Merritt was married February 3, 1881, to Miss Annie LYBROOK, daughter of Philip and Lyda J. (SUTTON) LYBROOK, the former a resident and farmer of Howard county, Ind., and a member of the Society of Friends. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Merritt are named Fred L., Iberna D., Clyde and Earl-the last named deceased at the age of two years. Mr. Merritt's farm contains eighty acres, is improved with a substantial modern farm house and a spacious barn, with the necessary outbuildings. He has earned this property through his own thrift and industry, assisted by his prudent and painstaking wife, and he is still progressing. He is regarded by the citizens of the township as a man of worth and intelligence, and his family is equally respected. Pages 798-799 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MERRITT, Lawson C.
LAWSON C. MERRITT, a prominent farmer and citizen of Johnson township Clinton county, Ind., was born here February 11, 1854. His grandfather Adam Merritt, was born and reared in Virginia, and came to Clinton county Ind., after having lived a few years in Coshocton county, Ohio, and entered part of the farm on which Lawson C. now resides. John Merritt, father of Lawson C., was also a native of Virginia. He married Helen M. WILLIAMS of Ohio, who bore two children, Julia, and an infant who was called away. The second marriage of John Merritt was to Harriet Ann SCOTT, daughter of James Scott, and to this union was born Lawson C. Merritt. 0n coming to Johnson township with the earlier settlers, John Merritt entered and purchased a quantity of land, which he improved and increased until he owned 200 acres. He and wife were both members of the Baptist church, and both had the confidence and esteem of all that knew them. The mother passed from earth December 11, 1875, and the father died June 7.1893.
Lawson C. Merritt was reared on the home farm, and April 27, 1876 married Miss Dorcas PRUITT, daughter of John and Nancy J. (STEWART) PRUITT, of whom further may be read on another page of this volume. The four children born to this union are named Elbert B., Walter S., John P., and Hubert. At their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Merritt settled on their present farm, which now comprises 335 acres. It is very fertile land, and the farm is in an excellent state of improvement and is highly cultivated. The dwelling is modern in construction and the farm buildings commodious and substantial, and all this property, or nearly all, has been earned through the industry and good management of Mr. Merritt, with his amiable wife's assistance. Mr. Merritt is very prominent as a republican and was elected township trustee in 1894, and fraternally he is a member of the Odd Fellows' lodge, No. 593, at Scircleville, in which he has passed all the chairs, and which he has represented in the grand lodge. Page 800 - 801. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MILANI, George Anthon
GEORGE ANTHON MILANI, retired business man and well known citizen of Frankfort, was born in the kingdom of Bavaria March 13, 1824, the son of Adam and Margaret (FISHLAND) MILANI, parents both natives of the same country, where they lived and died. They had a family of eight children, only two of whom are now living, namely, the subject of this sketch and a sister. George A. Milani enjoyed the advantage of a good education in the schools of his native country, and, while young, began learning the trade of watchmaking in a small city about twenty miles from Vienna, Austria. : He followed his trade at different places in the old country until 1850, at which time he came to the United States, first in Crawfordsville, Ind., where he established himself in business as a watchmaker and jeweler. After continuing at the above place for four years, he removed to the town of Ladoga, Montgomery county, thence in 1860 came to Frankfort, where he has since made his home.
Mr. Milani followed the jewelry business and watchmaking with most gratifying success until 1885, in which year he practically retired from active life and is now spending his declining years in the enjoyment of that quietude which only those who have battled long and earnestly with the world know how to appreciate. Personally Mr. Milani is quite popular in Frankfort, and belongs to that large and eminently respectable class of people who in a quiet way exert a wholesome influence in the community. He was married, in 1851, to Elizabeth CLEVENGER, daughter of Samuel Clevenger of Montgomery county, Ind., who died in 1871, leaving two children: Julia, wife of A. B. KEMPF, and Jennie, who became the wife of Ferdinand DERN, both living at this time in the city of Frankfort.
pages 807-808 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MILLER, Col. A. O.
Col. A. O. Miller. Col. A. O. Miller was born in Madison County, Ohio, in 1827. His parents moved to Clinton County, Indiana in 1830, where both died in less than five years. He was taken by a relative and raised on a farm on the Twelve Mile Prairie. Studied medicine and graduated at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, 1856; raised a company of men for Lincoln’s call of 75,000 for three months, in ’61. Was in command of his company, C, 10th Regt. Ind. Vol., at the battle of Rich Mountain, in July, ’61. His company was the first of the army to enter the works and took down their flag, the first one taken from Rebel works during the war. Was Lieutenant-Colonel of the 10th Regt. in its three years’ organization. Was made Colonel of the 72nd Regt. in 1862, and served in the field until the close of the war, at which time he, with one hundred and fifty other wounded, were at Montgomery, Alabama, three hundred miles from any Union forces; was promoted to Brigadier-General. While in the army he married Mary L., youngest daughter of Wm. Zion. Was Clerk of Boone Circuit Court for four years. Organized the first National Bank at Lebanon; was its Cashier four years, during which time the bank only lost one hundred dollars, and the banking system changed from 18 per cent broker to 10 per cent banking. Being enterprising and in favor of public improvements, he, with Zion Kinworthy and others, lost all they had in building the A. L. and St. L. Railroad, his loss being $20,000 bank stock, a fine home and other property.
Source: Early Life and Times of Boone County, Indiana Compiled by Harden and Sparks, Lebanon, Indiana, May 1887, Page 453-54
Transcribed by Lena
MILLER, George H.
The prosperity and substantial welfare of a town or community are in a large measure due to the enterprise and wise foresight of its business men. It is progressive, wide-awake men of affairs that make the real history of a community, and their influence in shaping and directing its varied interests is difficult to estimate. George H. Miller, the present able and popular cashier of the Citizens National Bank of Mulberry, Clinton county, is one of the enterprising spirits to whom is due the recent substantial growth of the town whose interests he has at heart. With a mind callable of planning, he combines a will strong enough to execute his well-formulated purposes, and his great energy, keen discrimination and perseverance have resulted in material success.
Mr. Miller comes of an old and influential family. He was born in this county, June 23, 1868. He is a son of Aaron Miller, one of the highly esteemed pioneers of the town of Mulberry, who is still living, being now seventy-one years of age. He was born in the state of Indiana, the son of Elias Miller, a native of the old Keystone state. Aaron Miller's wife was Caroline MOORE, a native of Ohio. To Aaron Miller and wife the following children were born: George H., of this review; Stanley A., of Mulberry, manager of the Jay Grain Company; Frank, a farmer, and Bertha, the wife of Dr. MARTIN, of Frankfort.
George H. Miller grew to manhood on the old homestead where he did his share of the chores when a boy. He received a good public school education. When a young man he started in life for himself by learning the bricklayer's trade, and then engaging in the hardware business which he followed successfully for a period of eighteen years, enjoing (sic) an extensive trade in this and and Tippecanoe counties. He carried a large and well selected stock of all kinds of hardware commonly used by the farmer, and he dealt honestly with his many customers so that he had no trouble in retaining them.
In July, I912, he became cashier of the Citizens National Bank, of Mulberry, which position he has held ever since, to the eminent satisfaction of both patrons and officials. This is one of the sound and conservative institutions of the county of its kind and is rapidly growing. J. E. COMBS is president and F. M. GOBLE, vice president. It occupies a substantial brick building, which cost five thousand dollars, and is well adapted to banking purposes. The upper story of the building is the Masonic hall.
Mr. Miller was married in 1890 to Addie GANGWER, a woman of education and refinement, a. daughter of Monroe GANGWER. Of this union three children were born, namely: Ruth, Howard and Kenneth, the last named dying when fourteen years of age.
Mr. Miller is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias Orders. Pages 474 475. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
JOHN MILLER, who carries on general farming and stock raising in Madison township, is one of the worthy citizens that Pennsylvania has furnished to this county. He was born in Lehigh county of the Keystone state on the sixteenth of November, 1834, and is a son of Elias and Maria (REX) MILLER , both of whom were natives of Lehigh county, PA., and were of German descent. The father was born in 1812, and belonged to the third generation of the family in America. During his youth he learned the carpenter's trade. He worked hard, and after a time had saved $200, and had purchased a team of horses. With his family in the wagon and with this small cash capitol, he started across the country for the west, and in May, 1839, located in Clinton county, Ind. Here he purchased eighty acres of land, upon which was a small log cabin, and began the developement of a farm. He afterward added to this tract until 317 acres of rich land yielded to him a golden tribute in return for his care and cultivation. His death occurred in 1876. His wife, who was born in 1811, died in 1874. The union of this worthy couple was blessed with fourteen children, of whom five died in infancy. The members of this family were John; Paul and Moses, both deceased; Edwin; Nathan; Abraham; Eliza, wife of Stephen S. EARHART; Sarah, Wife of John JACOBY; Maria, wife of George IKENS. In the usual manner of farmer lads John Miller spent the days of his boyhood and youth. He was only five years of age when his parents came to Indiana. He received but limited educational privileges, and when a young man learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for some time. As soon as possible he purchased fifty acres of land south of Mulberry, and in 1882 purchased his present farm of 100 acres. This is now under a high state of cultivation and well improved with fine buildings and all the accessories of a model farm. On the twenty-sixth of February, 1860, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Miss Maria, daughter of Adam and Christina (ROTHENBERGER) KARB, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and were of German lineage. They came to Clinton county about 1848, and were therefore numbered among its early settlers. In their family were five children -- Maria, who was born in 1836; Elizabeth, wife of Lewis BAER; Lydia, deceased; Daniel; Rebecca, wife of Clinton BAUGHMAN. The following children graced the union of Mr. and Mrs. Miller -- Carrie, born November 30, 1860, began teaching school at the age of fifteen , and is now one of the successful teachers in the primary department of the public schools of Chicago; Flora E., born August 12, 1862, is the wife of Albert C. MARTZ; William P. born January 12, 1865, is a harness-maker of Mulberry; Elizabeth, born in 1867, died July 29, 1870; Calvin S., born April 11, 1873, is taking a course in mechanics in Peru, Ind.; Jennie, born June 3, 1877, completes the family. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the German Reform church and are well known and highly respected people. In politics he is a stalwart democrat, but is not an office seeker. Since the age of five years he has made his home in Clinton county, and those who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his warmest friends, a fact which indicates a well spent life. pp. 803 - 804 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MILLER, John David
The age of the twentieth century is productive of men of quick action, high resolve, and untiring labor and perseverance in the pursuit of everyday affairs. Among the counties of Indiana, Clinton has come to occupy a identified with the prominent position by virtue of the quality of citizens identified with the business interests of the county. In the main lines of commercial intercourse Clinton has excelled, and at this writing there are even more and promising lines being developed, which all point to a brilliant and successful future for the section. John David Miller has helped not a little in this growth, and he is today numbered among the representative men of his township and county. Fair and liberal in all his dealings with his fellows, he numbers his friends by the hundreds.
John David Miller was born in Madison township, this county, on December 10, 1865 and was the son of Joseph 0. and Martha A. (HAMMEL) MILLER. Joseph Miller was born on March 8, 1832, the son of Jacob and Jane (MATTIX) MILLER.
Jacob Miller was a native of Ohio and came to Indiana in 1833 and entered eighty acres of land, later bought forty acres. He lived the usual life of the pioneer, clearing the land, building his home, and own improvements which, in those days, were very limited in number and character. The times were hard in Clinton county, for it was practically an uncultivated state, but the land was rich, as it is now, so the reward for the struggle was entirely adequate. Jacob Miller died in 1856, and his wife died in 1892.
Joseph Miller was a farmer during his life, and also an expert wheel-wright and shingle-maker. He occupied the position of a successful merchant for a few years, and was very successful in that undertaking. In politics he was a Democrat, and was always active in support of that party, although he never sought public office. Mr. Miller was a third degree Mason, and a charter member of the Jefferson lodge. In 1862 he was married to Martha HAMMEL who was born in Madison Township, this county, a daughter of John and Elizabeth HAMMEL, who were among the very first settlers of this section of the county. Mrs. Miller is still living, enjoying the comforts of old age.
John David Miller obtained his education in the common schools, varying his attendance there with his work on the farm. In 1889 he opened a grocery and butcher shop in the village of Hamilton, but two years later, in 1891 sold out, moved to Kingman, Fountain county, and in partnership with S. D. Alexander, opened a general store there. During the second administration of Grover Cleveland, Mr. Miller was appointed assistant postmaster of Kingman, and filled the office to the satisfaction of the citizens of the town. At the expiration of his term he went to AIexandria, Ind., and started in the grocery business; this was in 1897. However, his period of residence there was only for three months. His next move was to return to the old home farm in Madison township, where he remained until 1907, when he went into the grocery and butcher shop business again at Mulberry, and immediately made a success of this undertaking. On January 1, 1909 he was appointed deputy sheriff under John MATTIX, a sketch of whom is on another page of this volume, and he served four years in a most commendable manner. The year 1912 marked Mr. Millers election to the office of sheriff, and at the present time he is fulfilling the duties of that position.
On April 17, 1892, Mr. Miller was married to Lilly M. JACOBY, the daughter of John and Mary C. JACOBY, who was born on January 29, 1871, in Ross township, this county. Two children have been born of this union: Bernice E., now at home, and Troy E., who is in school.
Mr. Miller places his political faith in the Democratic party, under whose banner he has often won honors and office. He is a very active campaign worker. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pvthias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Religiously he belongs to the Christian church. Pages 507 508. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
MILLER, Oscar S. , Prof.
PROF. OSCAR S. MILLER is an influential citizen of Sedalia, Clinton county, and the honored principal of the graded schools of that place. The family originated in Holland. His grandfather, Charles Miller, was born in Pennsylvania, and married Sarah HELLER of that state, by whom he had eight children; Peter, Alfred, Stephen, Sarah, Adeline, Joseph. Amanda and Christian. He was a tailor by trade and accumulated considerable property, including 400 acres of valuable land. He and his wife were active members of the Dutch Reform church, and he was a stalwart advocate of democracy. All of his children lived to rear families of their own. Christian Miller, father of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania in 1840, and in 1864 was joined in wedlock with Jane Amanda Toxel, who was born in 1843, and is a daughter of Stephen and Esther (MICKLEY) TOXEL, who were natives of Pennsylvania but moved to Indiana in 1863. Mr. and Mrs. Miller had eight children--Oscar S., Charles E., who died at an early age; William S., Joseph D., Sarah E ., Annie M., Minnie M., who was a twin sister of Annie, and died at the age of a year and a half, and Adeline J. The parents began their domestic life in the home of an uncle, where they lived for two years, when Mr. Miller purchased twenty acres of partially improved land. This he afterward sold, and rented other land, He met with many difficulties and hardships in the early days, but at length prosperity crowned his efforts, and as the result of good management and perseverance he is now well-to-do. He supports the democracy and he and his wife belong to the Dutch Reform church, in which he served for many years as elder. They are well known people and their friends in the community are many.
Professor Miller is one of the native sons of Clinton county. He was born October 8, 1864, spent his boyhood days on the old home farm and began his education in the public schools. In 1886, he entered the Danville Normal college, and has also attended the county normals. His aptitude for study and earnest application have made him a scholarly man and brought him success in his work in teaching, which he began in 1886. He is now principal of the schools of Sedalia, which occupy a fine two-story brick building, erected at a cost of $3,500. During the summer months he engaged in farm work and other pursuits, and in the summer of 1894 filled the important position of bookkeeper for the firm of Milnor Brothers, extensive dealers in stock and grain. On the 10th of February, 1891, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Miller and Miss Sarah Ellen MORRISEY, who was born in this state, April 17, 1869, and is a daughter of Michael and Malinda Morrisey, of Irish descent; both parents died when Sarah Ellen was eight years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have a pleasant, tasty home, surrounded by beautiful maple trees, and the household is rioted for its hospitality. Mr. Miller warmly advocates the principles of democracy, and by his ballot supports that party. He also belongs to the Dutch Reform church. A man of sterling worth and strict integrity, he well merits the high regard in which he is held, and deserves mention in this volume. April 14, he received the democratic nomination for trustee of Owen township and was elected November 6, 1894, being one of the few democrats to achieve victory. Pages 808-809. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
MILLER, William H.
The proprietor of Sugar Mound Stock Farm, William H. Miller, is deserving of rank among the leading citizens of Madison township, being one of the sturdy spirits who has contributed largely to the material welfare of his township and Clinton county. He is one of our most extensive general farmers and stock raisers, and as a citizen is not only public-spirited and progressive in all that these terms imply, but is also an advocate of proper living in the home and all relations of life. For many years he has been very actively involved with the agricultural interests of this locality and has forge to the front, often against obstacles, with little outside help. The careers of such men might be studied by the younger generation with profit.
Mr. Miller was born October 2, 1857, in Ross township, Clinton county, on the old homestead. He is a son of Frederick Miller, who was born in Germany, where he grew to manhood and was educated. When a young man he emigrated to the United States and settled in Butler county, O., where he remained some time, then came on to Clinton county, Ind., in 1854. locating on eighty acres of wild land. He began life here in a log cabin and worked hard developing a farm, but by thrift, industry and close application he forged ahead and in due course of time had one of the best farms and homes in Ross township. He married Catherine REEF, in Butler county, O., who proved to be of much assistance to him in his efforts to build a good home in the New World. She was born in Holland. The father died at the advanced age of eighty-six years, having spent his active life on the farm. He belonged to the Lutheran church. The mother is still living, having reached the ripe old age of ninety-two years. Three children are also surviving, namely: William H., of this sketch: Mary J., wife of George ERDEL, and Eliza, wife of Hiram J. BELL, of Washington township, this county.
William H. Miller was reared on the home farm and there taught the methods of soil tillage and of industry in general, and the exercise of good judgment, by his father. He received a good practical education in the public schools. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age, when he married Alice C. CROUSE, who came also from a good old family, being a daughter of H. B. CROUSE.
Sugar Mound Stock Farm, which consists of three hundred and fifty acres is one of the show places of Clinton county. It lies partly in Ross and partly in Madison townships. It has been brought up to a high state of improvement and cultivation, scientific methods being employed by Mr. Miller, who has proven himself to be in the front rank of twentieth century tillers of the soil. He is also one of the best known and most successful stock men in the county. He has been a persistent and careful worker, using sound judgment and dealing honorably with his fellow men. His place is well tiled, well fenced and well improved in every respect. The Miller home is one of the most attractive and valuable in the county. It contains ten rooms, elegantly furnished and equipped with a modern heating plant, hot and cold water, and an up-to-date lighting system. Surrounding the house is a well-kept lawn and inviting shade trees. He has also a large, substantial barn and many convenient outbuildings, and there is another splendid residence on the place which is occupied by his son. Nearby is a model stock barn, sixty by one hundred and eight feet. These gentlemen have been dealing extensive in live stock for some time, and they keep an excellent grade of all kinds. Their Polled Durham cattle are not surpassed by any in the state. Much time and money have been spent in securing the very best grade of cattle for the farm, and fancy prices are always obtained when they offer any cattle for sale; and when they exhibit at fairs they always carry away the premiums.
To William H. Miller and wife five children have been born: Daisy, wife of Rev. H. C. JOHNSON, of Rankin, ILL., a well known and popular minister of the Presbyterian church, has two sons and two daughters. Marvin F., farmer and stockman, married and has one son and three daughters: Lawrence D. and Dallas L., in partnership with their father in farming and stock raising: and Fern, living on the home place.
William H. Miller and wife belong to the Reformed church, in which he is an elder and active in the work and support of the church. Politically, he is a Democrat, has frequently been a delegate to conventions and is influential in local public matters. Personally he is genial, obliging and a man whose word is regarded as good as, his bond. Pages 876 877. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
MILLER, William S.
It is a pleasure to anyone, whether farmer or not, to look over a well kept and well tilled place like that of William S. Miller, of Owen township, for Mr. Miller's place is by nature fortunately situated and he has spared no pains in placing it in first-class condition in every way, he being an indefatigable and careful worker, believing in doing as well as possible whatever he attempts. No slipshod methods for him. May (sic) a younger farmer could take valuable lessons from a study of his methods of husbandry.
Mr. Miller was born November 4, 1868, in Washington township, Clinton county. He is a son of Christian and Jane (TROXELL) MILLER. The father was born March 15, I840, in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, from whence so many of our best citizens came. There he grew to manhood and was educated, remaining in the Keystone state until 1860, when, twenty years old, he left his native state and came to Clinton county, and here he still resides. He has devoted his life to general farming. The mother of the subject of this sketch was born March 21, 1843, also in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, where she grew to womanhood and was educated. She, too, is still living. Eight children have been born to these parents: Oscar, Charles (deceased), William S., of this sketch: Joseph, Sarah, Anna and Minnie, twins, both deceased, as is also the youngest born, Adeline.
William S. Miller grew up on the home farm and received a common school education. He has been twice married, first, in 1894, to Leona YOUNG, who was born March 9, 1873, in Clinton county, and was a daughter of Robert and Anniline (TAYLOR) YOUNG. Mrs. Miller died April 19, 1901, leaving three children: Chalmer, born May 9. 1895; Alma, born April 19, 1897; and Arthur, born September 2, 1899. On July 9, 1905, Mr. Miller married Dora GOOD, who was born January 9, 1872, in Clinton county. She is a daughter of Phaon and Sophia (BIERY) GOOD. The mother is deceased, but the father is living. Mrs. Miller grew to womanhood in her native community and received a public school education. Of this second union four children have been born: Clara, January 16, 1906; Sarah, June 19, 1909; Emitt, July 15, 1913, and Eunice, who died in infancy.
Mr. Miller has always engaged in farming, and he is now owner of one hundred and five acres, all tillable but fifteen acres, which is in timber. On his place are to be seen convenient buildings, and a dwelling house of his own construction. He makes a specialty of raising cattle, hogs and general purpose horses, and is successful as a general farmer and stock raiser.
Politically, Mr. Miller is a Democrat, but is not especially active in public affairs. In religious matters he belongs to the Presbyterian church. Pages 851 & 852. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.