- P -
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
PAINTER, Mrs. Elizabeth B.
MRS. ELIZABETH PAINTER is living a retired life in a handsome modern cottage in Michigantown, Clinton county, Ind. She bore the maiden name of Elizabeth B. COX, and is the daughter of William and Matilda (STULL) COX. Her father is a tanner and formerly lived in this village, but now resides in Scircleville, Ind., and is over eighty years of age.
Isaac N. PAINTER, deceased husband of Mrs. Elizabeth B., was born in Clinton county, in April, 1840, and died February 8, 1879. William PAINTER, the father of Isaac N., came to Clinton county in its early history and was closely idenfied with its development. He married Mary WILSON, and both he and she were members of the Methodist church, while he was a Jacksonian democrat. Isaac N. PAINTER was reared on a farm and received a good common school education. He married Miss E. B. COX, October 5. 1865, and settled on a farm of eight acres and was quite successful as an agriculturist and stock raiser. There were born to the union of Mr. and Mrs. PAINTER the following children: Iona, Florence, Charles, Beecher and Harland, all living, and Claude, deceased. Miss Iona is the present post-mistress of Michigantown; Florence is married to Jacob WHITEMAN, a prosperous young farmer; Charles married Nettie CARTER; Harland and Beecher remain at home with their mother. Mr. Painter enlisted, August 22, 1861, in company C, Tenth Indiana volunteer infantry, and received an honorable discharge September 19, 1864. He was in Gen. Rosecrans campaign, in the Atlanta campaign, and with Gen. Sherman on his march to the sea. He was in the wagon service most of the time, and for his ability and meritorious service was promoted to the rank of wagon-master. Many were the attempts of the rebels to capture him and his train, but he evaded them all. He died some years after the close of hostilities. Mr PAINTER was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he was an ardent democrat and took active interest in his party, and filled some of the minor township offices. His daughter, Mrs. WHITEMAN, now resides upon the old homestead settled by her grandfather, William PAINTER, and which was the home of her father until his death. In 1893 his widow recovered back and pension , amounting to $3,000 and is now receiving twelve dollars monthly. pp. 822 - 825.
Source I Transcribed by Connie
PALMER, Jacob T.
PALMER, Jacob T., stock dealer and farmer, Bellmore, was born November 20, 1846 in Clinton Co IN and is the son of Prentice T. and Ella BORN (DAZEY) Palmer. His father was born in NY and mother in PA. He was educated in Ladoga, IN high school. He was raised on a farm and has been familiar with stock from his childhood. When 3 he removed with his parents to Montgomery Co IN and in 1867 to Parke Co; in 1875 moved to Edgar County, ILL and in 1878 back to Parke County, where he has since been engaged in the stock business, in connection with William P. SWAIM, owning one-half interest in the stables and stock of Swaim and Palmer. He also farms quite largely. ON February 4, 1863, he enlisted in Co H 40th Ind. Vols. and was mustered in at Indianapolis. He participated in most of the battles of the regiment, taking part in 9 engagements. He was under fire on the Atlanta campaign 77 days continually. When Sherman left Atlanta, Mr. Palmer marched with his regiment under Thomas again Hood, and participated in the battles of Columbia, Franklin and Nashville. He was discharged July 1865 at New Orleans, La. He was twice wounded, once by a shell and once by a minnie-ball, but never reported for hospital. He is republican in principles. He was married October2, 1867 to Melinda J. WARE, daughter of James P. and Mary A (DOWNEY) Ware. They have 6 children: Cora A; Minnie J; Thera O; Ora J; Mollie C. and Ethie J. History of Vigo and Parke Counties. Chicago: H.H. Hill and N. Iddings, 1880, 1310 pgs.
Transcribed by Karen Zach
PALMER, R. F., M. D.
R. F. PALMER, M.D., is one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Frankfort and has much more than a local reputation in his profession. He was born in Howard county, Ind:, June 17, 1835, and is a son of Judge T. H. Palmer. Dr. Palmer was only four years of age when brought by his parents to Frankfort, in the schools of which he received his educational training and then began his medical studies in the office of Dr. C. W. BROWN, with whom he remained until attaining his majority. On the twenty-second of February, 1877, he was graduated from the Louisville college and began the practice of his profession at Frankfort, where he has since enjoyed a large and lucrative business, being one of the ablest and best known physicians and surgeons, at this time, in Clinton county. He has served as surgeon of the Clover Leaf R. R. for a period of seven years, and his success, while in that capacity, has done much to establish the reputation which he has since enjoyed. As a physician, Dr. Palmer has indeed a most creditable record, but it is as a skillful surgeon that he is best known among his professional brethren of Frankfort, where in all matters pertaining to that part of the profession he is justly considered an authority. From the time he adopted medicine as a profession he has been enthusiastically devoted to it, having always been a close and deliberate student, going into wide research for authority. In his personality, the doctor realizes the ideal of a successful physician and surgeon, adding to a quick apprehension and thorough professional knowledge the gentle manner and sympathetic heart of the true lover of suffering humanity. In every relation with his fellows, professionally or otherwise, he has borne well his part, and now enjoys, in full measure, the confidence and esteem of his brethren in the profession and of his fellow citizens in all the walks of a life. The doctor is a splendid specimen of physical manhood, possessing a tall, well knit frame, and a commanding presence, which, with a natural grace and courteous manner, impress those with whom he comes in contact as a true type of the well bred professional gentleman. Dr. Palmer was married in Michigantown, Ind., on the ninth day of September, 1878, to Josephine HILLIS, daughter of James and Mary (ETHERTON) HILLIS, of Jefferson county, Ind., where her birth occurred April 17, 1856. The doctor has a fine home in Frankfort, and, judging by the past, his future is certainly fraught with much that is promising. Page 826. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PALMER, Truman Henry,
Judge, one of the most prominent figures in
the city of Frankfort, Ind., is a native of Henry county,
Ky., was born November 28, 1827 and is a son of William and
Permelia Palmer. The family settled in Montgomery county,
Ind., in November, 1830, and came to Clinton county in
February, 1844, and here he received his early education under
Prof. Milton B. HOPKINS, who was afterward superintendent
of public instruction of the state. At the age of twenty,
Mr. Palmer began teaching school, and continued in this
occupation four years. At the age of twenty-four he married Miss
Margaret Ann MOORE, daughter of Robert and Margaret MOORE, of
Clinton county. Soon after his marriage he moved to Kokomo, Ind.,
and, in connection with two associates, started a cabinet shop.
He was thus engaged for a period of three years, when, in
consequence of failing health, he was compelled to abandon the
enterprise. He then resorted the second time to the expedient of
school teaching, to gain a livelihood for his family, and, at the
same time, improved his leisure moments by studying law. After a
patient course of study, he was admitted to the bar in March,
1857. The early days of his practice, however, were not lucrative.
He experienced the difficulties of all young lawyers in their
efforts to build up their practice; and, until the year 1864, his
life was a constant struggle with the difficulties of his
position. In that year his practice began to increase, and with
increased practice came increased confidence on the part of the
people. Thus in a few years his practice became quite
remunerative, and he was regarded as one of the rising members of
the bar. His political views have always been in conformity with
the principles of the democratic party. By this party he was
nominated for the office of township clerk of Center township,
Howard county, Ind., and, although the whig party had a large
majority in the township, he was elected to the office. One year
later, he was nominated for surveyor of Howard county, and made a
brave race, but his opponent was elected to the office.
In 1858, he returned to Clinton county, and four years later, 1862, made the race for surveyor of the county, against James DOSTER, Esq. He was elected, by a handsome majority, for the term of two years, and at the expiration of that time he was elected for a second term. In 1866, he was nominated by his party for the same office, but was defeated by one vote. Two years later, 1868, he was representative, from Clinton county, to the Indiana legislature, and served during the regular and special sessions of 1869. In 1870, he was elected common pleas judge, for the district of Boone and Clinton counties. He served his district in that capacity until the legislature abolished the court in 1873. A circuit court was then formed, composed of the counties of Boone and Clinton, and Judge Palmer was appointed, by Governor Hendricks, to preside over the court. At the special election, in the fall of 1873, he was elected judge of this circuit.
During his residence in this county, his upright character and sterling qualities have gained him many friends, and his official record is one of which he may justly be proud. In every position of responsibility awarded him by his fellow-citizens, he has discharged his duty from conscientious principles and with impartial success. Ten children have crowned the happiness of his married life--four boys and six girls. Judge Palmer united with the Baptist church more than thirty years ago, and since that time he has been an active and consistent member of that denomination. The judge has now the most extensive and remunerative legal practice of any member of the profession in Frankfort, as his eminent abilities fully entitle him to have. Pages 825-826.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PARKER, Abraham P. M. D.,
an influential citizen and very prominent physician of Kirklin,
Clinton county, Ind., springs from sturdy Irish stock. His
grandfather, Abraham PARKER, was a farmer. The next in the
line of direct descent was Isaac Parker and his brother, Noah
Parker, became the father of our subject. The last named
was born in Highland county, Ohio, September 26, 1823, and he,
too, followed farming, entering from the government eighty acres
of land in Tipton county, Ind. He married Deborah WILLIAMS,
daughter of John C. and Margaret WILLIAMS, and to them were
born the following the children: Isaac who was killed at the age
of fourteen; Victoria J., wife of Joseph KEMP; Abraham P.;
Noah A. , who married Miss STRANAHAN; Margaret A., wife of Henry
MILLER; one who died in infancy; Charity E., wife of Melvin
KEATON; and Cyrus N. The father of this family was a
republican in politics and was a Presbyterian in religious belief.
For twenty years he owned and operated a saw-mill in Tipton
county, Ind., where he and his estimable wife are now living
Dr. Abraham Putnam Parker , the subject of this sketch, was born in Tipton county, March 16, 1855, and with the exception of two years has always resided in his native state. He attended the public and high schools of Tipton until about seventeen years of age, when he began teaching, a profession which he successfully followed for seven years during the winter season. In 1874, he determined to enter the medical profession, and the following summer began reading Dr. M. V. B. Newcomer of Tipton. Thus he prepared himself to enter the Kentucky School of Medicine of Louisville, in 1876. In the spring of 1877, he began practice in Kempton, Ind. In July of the same year, Dr. Parker married Miss Nancy J. BISHOP, who was born in Tipton county, September 26, 1858, and is a daughter of William and Rebecca S. (BUTLER) BISHOP. Three children grace their unionFrank E., born April 18, 1878; Elma born August 8, 1883; and William N., born April 1, 1887. For three years Dr. Parker practiced medicine and then removed to a farm which his wife had inherited, and which he operated until 1885. He then purchased fifty-five acres in Kirklin township and upon it he lived for one year, when he removed to Frankfort, where he served as deputy treasurer for three years, proving an efficient and capable officer. He afterward purchased eighty acres of land, and later sold this and bought 100 acres, of which about eighty acres are now cleared and under a high state of cultivation. Wishing to return to his profession, Dr. Parker rented his land and in August, 1892, came to Kirklin, where he formed a partnership with Dr. W. A. T. Holmes, this connection continuing until September, 1893. In the spring of that year, he once more entered the college at Louisville, Ky., and after receiving his diploma he returned home and opened an office of his own. Here he has since engaged in practice and has met with most excellent success, receiving a very liberal patronage. The doctor exercises his right of franchise in support of the republican party. He served as justice of the peace until resigning that office to become deputy treasurer. In 1880, he was made a master mason, and belonged to Buena Vista lodge, No. 552, F. & A. M., of Hamilton county, Ind. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. pages 826-827.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PARSONS, Oliver Clinton
, of Frankfort, Ind,, was born in Clinton county on the twenty-fourth
day of September, 1859, the son of Peter and Hannah (DOUGLASS)
PARSONS. Peter Parsons, the father, was born in Perry
county, Pa., August 22, 1834, and is the son of George and
Elizabeth (FISHER) PARSONS, both natives of Pennsylvania - the
former of English and the latter of German descent. George
died March 7, 1848. His wife then sold the farm and came to
Clinton county, Ind., where she bought 138 acres of land.
She was born in 1813, and her death took place April 16, 1894.
They were the parents of seven children: George, Peter,
Elizabeth, Anthony, Catherine, William and Aaron. Peter Parsons
was reared partially in Pennsylvania and partially in Clinton
county, Ind. At his majority he rented the home farm, and
in 1879 bought his present place. March 7, 1858, he married Miss
Hannah DOUGLASS, daughter of Uriah and Jane (MURPHY) DOUGLASS,
natives of Ohio and of Irish extraction. Mr. and Mrs.
DOUGLASS were the parents of thirteen children, viz: Sina,
Elizabeth, Jane, Hannah, Margaret, John, Jerry, all still
living; James, George, Samuel, Maria, Sarah and Eurias, deceased.
The children born to Peter and Hannah PARSONS were three in
number, and are named Oliver C., William E. and Charles M.
Mr. and Mrs. Parsons are members of the Christian church, and Mr.
Parsons is a member of Owen grange, No. 555. Politically,
he is a democrat. Oliver C. Parsons was brought up on a farm and
remained with his parents until twenty-three years of age, in the
meantime attending the district schools. At the age of
twenty-three he came to Frankfort, and for seven years thereafter
worked at any honest employment to which he could turn his hand,
but during that time he did not succeed in accumulating any
capital. In the latter part of 1888 Mr. Parsons purchased a
small restaurant in Frankfort, the price being $250, which was
borrowed, with his father as surety. On taking charge of
his business he stepped into the next door and borrowed a dollar
which he used in making change with his customers, it being the
only available money at that time in the establishment. He
continued the business, which from the beginning was successful,
until 1890, when he changed locations, establishing his
restaurant on the south side of the public square, calling it the
"Model Bakery, Oyster and Short Order House."
Since open-ing his place of business, he has added largely to his
stock, and at this time it is one of the neatest and best stocked
and most systematic ally equipped establishments of the kind in
Frankfort. Another fact which redounds to Mr. Parsons
reputation, is the manner in which his business is conducted.
His management has been exceptionally praiseworthy, and it is a
fact worthy of note, that nothing of a boisterous nature is ever
permitted at his place, and all going there are assured of
receiving most respectful attention. Mr. Parsons' business
consists principally in conducting a bakery, an oyster parlor,
and a general restaurant, and he deals extensively in
confections, California and tropical fruits, fancy canned goods,
cigars and tobacco, etc., his entire stock being of the highest
standard of excellence. Additional to the place above mentioned
Mr. Parsons also conducts two other well equipped and well
arranged restaurants in Frankfort, one being on North Main
street, between Washington street and the railroad, and the other
on West Clinton street. In connection with his restaurants,
he has a number of first-class rooms and apartments furnished for
the accommodation of the traveling public. Mr. Parsons justly
deserves the success which has attended his business efforts.
He is careful in his management, honorable and straight-forward
in every transaction, and can be depended upon to carry out
faithfully any agreement into which he may enter. Though
still a young man, he has displayed a remarkable aptitude for
business, which places him with the successful business men of
Frankfort. On the nineteenth of November, 1884, Mr. PARSONS
and Miss Ella BAMBART of Frankfort entered into the marriage
relation, and they have two children-Orpha and Earl. pages 827-828.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PATRICK, William T.
WILLIAM T. PATRICK, of Union township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Franklin county, Pa., July 21, 1842, the son of Robert and Elizabeth Patrick, both parents natives of the same state and of Irish and German descent respectively. Robert Patrick was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in the year 1808, was married there to Elizabeth MINICH, and in 1855 came to Indiana, locating in Clinton county, where he purchased eighty acres of land, which he improved. Robert and Elizabeth Patrick were the parents of ten children, of whom the following are living - Jacob, John, Mrs. Harriet BLACK, Reuben, Samuel, William and David; the following are deceased; Elizabeth, Catherine and Robert.
The subject of this sketch came with his parents to Indiana in the year above referred to and spent his youthful years on a farm, attending in the mean time the country schools. On the fourteenth day of February, 1862, he entered the army as a private in company A, Sixty-third Indiana infantry, and went into camp at La Fayette thence went to Indianapolis where his first active service was as a guard of the rebel prisoners. After four months spent in that capacity his regiment was transferred to Washington city, thence to Alexandria, Va., and participated in the battle of Bull Run, and after some time spent in active service in that state, the Sixty-third returned to Indianapolis for the purpose of recruiting its depleted ranks. Later, Mr. Patrick accompanied his command to Kentucky, thence to Knoxville, Tenn., and from the latter place joined Sherman's army in time to take part in the celebrated Atlanta campaign. He participated in the battle of Resaca, and states that on the day following that bloody engagement he dressed the wounds of thirty soldiers whom he found lying in an old log stable. During the operations around Atlanta and through Georgia, Mr. Patrick was almost constantly under fire for three months, and after the fall of that city he joined in pursuit of the rebel general, Hood, to Franklin, Tenn., in the battle of which place and at Nashville he took an active part. Later, his regiment was ordered to Gainesville, Ala., thence via Cincinnati to Washington city and Alexandria, Va., where the command embarked in three large vessels for Fort Fisher, N. C. From the latter place Mr. Patrick went to Wilmington, that state, and afterwards returned to Washington, but saw no further active service while he remained in the ranks. During the time spent in the army, Mr. Patrick was with his regiment, with the exception of three weeks, which he spent in the hospital with a fever. While at Alexandria, Va., he suffered a sunstroke, the effects of which were felt for some time afterward. After his discharge, Mr. Patrick returned to Clinton county and established a boot and shoe business at the town of Kilmore, where he remained for a period of thirteen years. In 1878 he purchased the old homestead, which he sold three years later, and bought the farm where he now resides in Union township. His place consists of eighty acres of good land, and since moving to the same he has devoted his entire attention to agricultural pursuits with success and financial profit. Mr. PATRICK was married January 23, 1868, to Jane GILLASPIE, daughter of John and Theodosia (BACON) GILLASPIE, natives of Kentucky and New Jersey respectively.
Mr. and Mrs. Patrick are parents of eight children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows: Lena, wife of Henry BUCHER, November 22, 1868; Minnie, wife of Samuel CAMPBELL, February 4, 1870; Lucy, December 6, 1871; Walter, March 4, 1874; Daisy, November 14, 1875; Belle, May 16, 1881; Arthur, April 3, 1884; Imo Myrtle, October 31, 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Patrick are members of the M. E. church, in which he has held the offices of trustee, class leader and steward, and is now superintendent of the Sunday-school. He is a member of the G. A. R. and a republican in politics. Pages 830-831
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Among the pioneer settlers of Clinton county, Ind., who still linger to recount the incidents of the early days when the country was new, the name of Elijah Payne is deserving of especial mention in this volume. His father, William PAYNE, was a native of Ohio, but emigrated to Indiana as early as the year 1830, settling in Wabash county; thence, about two years later, he moved to the county of Clinton and purchased a tract of land in what was then an almost unbroken forest. He was a patriot of the war of 1812, a devout member of the Baptist church and did much in a quiet way toward building up and adding character to the community where he lived. He married Rebecca STAG, who bore him the following children: Nancy, Samuel, Daniel, Elijah, Silas, Jane, Washington, Jackson and Ferguson.
Elijah Payne, the immediate subject of this sketch, was born in Butler county, Ohio, May 25, 1824 was reared on a farm, and spent his early years amid the stirring scenes of the pioneer period. His education, of necessity, was somewhat limited, and owing to the lack of facilities in those days, was acquired in the old-fashioned log school house, a brief description of which is herewith presented. The building proper, constructed of unhewn logs, was in size about sixteen by eighteen feet; a large fireplace, capable of receiving nearly a wagon-load of wood for a single fire, occupied one end of the room, the chimney being composed of split sticks and mud; the floor, made of puncheons was very rough, and the furniture, consisting of a few split pole benches, and a rough board fastened to the wall for a writing desk, required the labor of a few pioneers only a day or two in its construction. The scenes and incidents of the early day could not help but make a vivid and lasting impression upon the mind of one who grew up in those times, and Mr. Payne delights to recall the exciting days of his youth, when the woods abounded with game of all kinds. His chief sport consisted in hunting, in which he became quite skillful and many a deer, wolf, wild hog, not to mention wild turkey and lesser game, fell before the unerring aim of his rifle.
Mr. PAYNE married Nancy HESTON, daughter of David HESTON, of Tippecanoe county, and has reared the following children: Sarah E., William, George, John, Martha, Kate, Emma, Charles and Curtis. After his marriage he of the Baptist church, and did much in a settled on the farm where he now resides in Perry township, and has devoted the best energies of his life to its cultivation. All but ten acres of his farm is under a high state of cultivation, and his home, a very comfortable one, is the abode of genuine, true-hearted, old-fashioned hospitality, which he and his good wife know so well how to dispense. Mr. and Mrs. Payne are members of the U. B. church, the teachings of which they try to exemplify in their daily walk and conversation. Mr. Payne is an earnest supporter of the democratic party, and has been for a number of years. At this time his sons Curtis and Charles, both exemplary young men, reside at the old homestead and look after the interest and minister to the comfort of their father and mother in their declining years. Pages 832-833.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PENCE, Charles P.
CHARLES P. PENCE is a native of Clinton county, Ind., and a son of one of the prominent pioneers, his father John Pence, having entered the land where Frankfort now stands, John Pence, of German descent, was born in Virginia, came to Warren county, Ind., with his father, who was one of the pioneers of that county, and married there Judith, daughter of Harmon AUGHE. To Mr. and Mrs. Pence were born nine children: Nancy, Mary A., Amanda E., Harriet L., Samuel D., Charles P., John W., Aaron W., and Thomas C. In 1829 he came to Clinton county; and entered several sections of land, which were then covered with heavy timber. He built a log cabin, which stood for years east of Main Street, on the north side of Barner Street, in what is now the city of Frankfort. Several of the old settlers came with him, among them the Gaskills and Blinns, and all settled near. Mr. Pence gave sixty acres of land for the public square and $100 in cash to assist in getting the county-seat located here. The other settlers, having farmed the Pence homestead, where they resided for seven years. They then moved two miles east, to a farm consisting of 130 acres in Center township. He bought this land and cleared all except about eight acres, and here he resided until he bought his present farm, consisting of eighty acres, one mile east of Frankfort. To Mr. and Mrs. PENCE have been born four children James W., John K., Rosa I. and Ella G. He cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has since voted the republican ticket. Fraternally he is a member of Dacotah tribe, No.42, I. 0. R. M., of Frankfort. Mr. Pence has always been a substantial farmer, is a man of integrity of character, and has reared a respected family of children, who may well take an honest pride in the sterling ancestry from which they spring. His son, James W., married Dora HARLAND, and is the father of four children: Rosa I. married James W. YOUNG, farmer in Kirklin township, and is the mother of seven children; Ella C. married William BRITTIAN, a farmer two miles east of Frankfort, and has borne two children. Pages 833-834.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PERKINS, Alice Melissa
Born: March 29, 1857 Clinton Co, IN
Married: James PERRINE b. June 09, 1844 IN
Died: January 28, 1932 Oblong, Crawford Co, ILL
Parents: "daughter of Ute Perkins & Nancy WELLMAN of Clinton Co, IN."
Siblings: Oliver A Perkins b. Aug. 16, 1859; Alfred M. Perkins b. Apr. 04, 1860 (h/o Phoebe J. & Rose NEW); Frank W. Perkins b. Sept. 29, 1866 (h/o Nancy HOLMES & Lily B. McFARLAND a); Lydia M Perkins b. Apr.1869; Dora O. Perkins b. 1870 (w/o James E. GALLIMORE a); Amy L Perkins b. Jun. 01, 1872 (w/o John H. RIGBY); Emma Perkins b. Jun. 1874; Emmett Perkins b. Mar. 17, 1875; Sylvia Ann Perkins b. Dec. 1879 (w/o Oscar J. SEXTON);
Children: Andrew Franklin and James Ute PERRINE
Other information: Alice Melissa Perkins moved to Oblong, Crawford Co, Illinois to keep house for her widowed uncle, John Perkins, with whom she lived until her marriage to James PERRINE on July 14, 1889 in Oblong, ILL. John Perkins was the son of Jehu Perkins and Margaret REEDER who also moved to Crawford County, ILL. sometime after the 1850 Rush Co, IN. census. In 1903, Nancy (WELLMAN) PERKINS went to Crawford Co, ILL. to visit with Alice, her daughter and son-in-law, James PERRINE. Nancy (Wellman ) Perkins was the wife of Ute Perkins b. 1834, and also the son of Jehu Perkins and Margaret REEDER.
Source: Crawford Co, ILL. history and research.
Submitter: Kathy Hembree Bargerhuff
PERRIN, Henry C.
HENRY C. PERRIN, a highly respected citizen of Edna Mills, Ross township, Clinton county, Ind., is descended from a Puritan family of English origin, who on coming to America first settled in Connecticut. Solomon Perrin, the father of Henry C., was married to Sarah BOTT, daughter of a sea captain of Scotch descent. Solomon Perrin, after his marriage, settled in Bedford county, Va., where his wife inherited 1,000 acres of land and several slaves, but this property Mr. Perrin sold or exchanged and moved to New Orleans, where he died of cholera at the age of about forty-eight years. He and wife were parents of eight children, named as follows: William, Aaron, Mary, Eliza, John, Harriet, Henry C. and James, all natives of Bedford county, Va. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Perrin moved to Botetourt county, Va., where she passed the remainder of her life, dying at the age of fifty-seven years., Henry C. Perrin was born January 11, 1825, received a fair education in his native county of Bedford, and November 23, 1843, was married in Botetourt county, Va., to Miss Susan SECRIST, daughter of Daniel and Mary (FLORA) SECRIST, of Pennsylvania Dutch extraction. In February, 1845, Mr. Perrin, with his wife and only child, moved to Breckinridge county, Ky., and located on a part of his mother's estate, where he remained until July, 1845, when he came to Indiana and settled in Ross township, Clinton county, bringing all his earthly effects in a one-horse wagon. He erected a log cabin and cleared up a farm on which he lived until 1851, when he bought eighty acres one mile south of Edna Mills. To this property he added thirty acres, and then sold and purchased 160 acres three-quarters of a mile east of Edna Mills, and to this property he added until he became the owner of 400 acres, 260 of which he has given his children, of whom he is the father of eight, named as follows: Eliza A., Sarah, Mary J., Harriet E., Enna, Charles, who died from an accident at the age of fourteen years; Allen, who died when two years old, and Byron, who died in infancy. Of these children, Eliza married Coulter; Mollie married Samuel HURLEY; Sarah married Milton HOCKMAN; Elizabeth married Isaac HORLACHER; Enna married Amos SIGLER. In 1893, Mr. Perrin retired from active labor and is now residing at Edna Mills, respected by the whole community. The greatest part of Mr. Perrin's wealth, it will be seen, is the result of his own unaided industry, for which he deserves great credit. Page 834
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
PETER, Anise W.
Useless to say that Anise W. Peter, farmer of Madison township, Clinton county, has worked hard and honorably earned the reputation which he enjoys as one of the leading farmers of his community, and it is also needless to add that he is held in the highest esteem by all who knows him intimately, for he is a man who throws the force of his strong individuality into the general work of upbuilding the township and county.
Mr. Peter was born on the old homestead in Clinton county, January 19, 1869. He is a son of Franklin Peter who was born in Butler county, Ohio, near the city of Oxford, in 1829. From there he came to Indiana in 1832. He was a son of Henry Peter, who was born September 3, 1804, in Pennsylvania: he was a son of William Peter, Jr., also a native of the state, born 1779. The latter was a son of William Peter, Sr., born in 1756, a son of Rudolph Peter, one of three brothers, natives of Switzerland, who emigrated to the United States, here founding the Peter family which is now very numerous. They emigrated here in the year 1743, locating in Pennsylvania. Rudolph was a hatter by trade, having bought land which he paid for by making fine wool hats. The Peter family have always been Lutherans in their religious faith, and noted for their piety as well as industry. It was their custom to have their children baptised when one month old.
Franklin Peter, father of our subject, moved with his parents in 1832 to Indiana, making the trip by wagon, establishing their home under a huge oak tree upon their arrival in the new country. But being thrifty they had a good home in due course of time. The following children were born to Henry Peter and wife: Daniel, Eli, Leah, Franklin, Susan, Edward and Hannah. They are all now deceased but Eli who lives at Ashland, Oregon, and is now eighty-two years old, and Edward Peter who now resides at Mulberry, Ind.: Franklin Peter, reared on the farm, married Eliza Bryan, July 8, 1855. She was a daughter of Simeon BRYAN, who was born November 30, 1796. Eliza (BRYAN) PETER died July 23, 1912, one hundred and fourteen years after the birth of her father. Simeon Bryan married Emily SLIPHER, a daughter of Daniel SLIPHER, one of the old settlers of Clinton county. Franklin and Eliza Peter had seven children, four of whom are now living, namely: Mrs. Emily F. GABLE, wife of Robert W. GABLE; Marcella is the wife of Peter ROTHENBERGER; Ella is the wife of Perry A. ROTHENBERGER; Anise W., of this sketch; Ezra B., Victoria A. And Ivy are all three deceased. The death of the father occurred January 31, 1889 at the age of sixty years. He devoted his life to farming and religiously was a member of the Lutheran church, in which he was an elder for some time. Politically he was a Republican.
Anise W. Peter was reared on the home farm and he received his education in the public schools. He has devoted his life to general farming and has succeeded all along the line. He has remained on the home farm which consists of eighty acres which he has kept under a fine state of cultivation and improvement. He raised a great deal of grain and livestock, and he has kept the home and outbuildings well repaired. He raises fancy poultry which are admired by all who see them, specializing on Light Brahmas and Columbian Wyandottes. He has taken many premiums at various exhibits. His fine poultry finds a very ready market over a wide territory, and he is one of the most widely known poultry men in this section of the state. This is part of the thirty-two hundred acres which our subject's great grandfather Peter entered from the government.
Politically, Mr. Peter is a Republican, and he belongs to the Lutheran church, being an active worker in the church and Sunday school.
Mr. Peter was married November 12, 1890 to Ida A. GLICK, who was born in Madison township, Clinton county, and reared and educated here. She is a daughter of Allen GLICK, a well known citizen here in the pioneer period of the county. He was a native of Ohio, and came to Indiana when young, and married in Tippecanoe county, to Rebecca LECKLITNER, and to them five daughters and two sons were born, namely: Dora, who married George BRYAN, Mrs. Emma SENSE, is a widow; Mrs. Ida A. PETER, wife of our subject; Laura A. who has remained single; Maude O. is the wife of Orville ROTHENBERGER; Lloyd and Floyd are twins.
Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Peter, namely: Maurice Vernon, born September 14, 1896; Edna Ruth, born November 4, 1902; Genieve Lucile having died in infancy. Mr. Peter was among the first of the community to give a name to his farm which is now known as "The North View Farm." pp. 773-775 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
PETER, Edward Laurel, M.D.
EDWARD LAUREL PETER, M.D, a prominent and successful physician of Moran, Ind., occupies a place in the medical profession that may well be envied by many an older practitioner. He was born in Ross township, Clinton county, August 12, 1861, and is of German descent on the paternal side, while on the maternal side his ancestors came from the Netherlands. His grandfather, William PETER, was a Pennsylvania farmer, and in 1830 immigrated to Clinton county, where he entered 160 acres of land. By subsequent purchases he become one of the largest land owners in the county. He and his wife were members of the Reform Lutheran church, and in politics he was a whig. Their children were William, Jonathan, Henry, Daniel, Emanuel, Adam, Reuben, Joseph, Polly, Leah and Betsy. Reuben Peter, the doctor's father, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1820; at the age of ten went with his parents to Ohio, and shortly after came with them to Indiana. His father gave him 160 acres of timberland, which he transformed into a fine farm. He altogether owned 320 acres. In politics he was a whig in early life, but afterward became a republican. For sixteen years he served as trustee of Ross township. In religious belief he was a Presbyterian and served as elder of the church. In connection with farming and stock dealing, he afterward engaged in the sale of agricultural implements. His death occurred at the age of sixty years. He first married Miss PERRIN and they had three children: Julia A., Jane and William. The mother having died, he then wedded Leah VAN NUYS, who was born in June, 1834, and is a daughter of John VAN NUYS. The children born of this marriage are James C., Isabella, Irvin S.. John A., Henry F., Lenora A., Edward L., Emanuel C., Orion F. and Eliza D. The mother is still living. Upon the home farm Dr. Peter remained until eighteen years of age. Having attended the public schools he then entered the Ladoga Normal college of Montgomery county, Ind., and on his return home a year later began teaching in the schools of Clinton county. In 1883, he entered upon the study of the medical profession, and began reading with Dr. Sigler of Gettingsville, and was for two years with Dr. Youkey of Rossville. He then entered the Medical college of Indianapolis, Ind., in 1887, and was graduated with honor in the class of 1889. In March of that year he came to Moran, where he has since engaged in practice. The doctor was married July 31, 1883, to Cora ROBINSON; who was born November 7, 1863, and is a daughter of Thomas F. and Madelaine ROBINSON of Indiana. They have had two children Nellie G., born January 18, 1885; and Thomas D., born February 20, 1586. They have a pleasant home, and the doctor has erected a fine office, which is supplied with every convenience in his line. His business has constantly grown and he now has a large practice, which he well deserves. In politics he is a republican, and has served as delegate to the township, county, and congressional conventions. He keeps abreast with the times in all particulars, and occupies a front rank among his professional brethren. Page 839
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Among the representative agriculturists and public-spirited men of Clinton county who, while advancing their own interests, have not neglected their duty to the community at large is Nicholas Peter, of Michigan township. Reared to a farming life, he has so applied his energies and ability as to attain a success worthy the name, while his present high standing in the community indicates the appreciation of his sterling character.
Nicholas Peter was born into this world on September 8, 1843, in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and was the son of Daniel and Mary (BURKHALTER) PETER. Our subject came to Clinton county in 1871, settling first in Madison township.
Daniel Peter, his father, was born on the first day of September, 1807, in the state of Pennsylvania, and moved to Ohio when but a boy, later coming to Tippecanoe county. He died on December 22, 1889, after a long and useful life spent as a farmer, wagonmaker and millwright. He was a Democrat until the election of Abraham Lincoln when he turned to the Republican party and there he cast his vote ever afterward. The mother was born in Ohio in the year of our second war with England, and she died in July, 1865. These parents received very little education for that time, but could read, write and speak German. Ten children were born to them, the six living being: William, Henry, Elizabeth, Nicholas, Calvin and Ervin.
Nicholas Peter received his early education in the common schools, mostly in Tippecanoe county, his birthplace. Being prepared for an agricultural career, he immediately entered into that vocation. He moved to Michigan township in the spring of 1891, and onto a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, all tillable with the exception of twenty acres. The land was well tiled. Besides general farming he carried on stock raising, making Poland China hogs, Shorthorn cattle, and a mixed breed of horses his specialty. Mr. Peter came here to Michigantown in February, 1911, and still owns a farm. He has a fine two story home here, and is living a retired life. Mr. Peter is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church and votes the Progressive ticket.
On May 11, 1867, Nicholas Peter was united in marriage with Emma ROTHENBERGER, who was born in Tippecanoe county, February 26, 1848, the daughter of George and Lydia (WALTERS) ROTHENBERGER. Her father was a native of Pennsylvania, a farmer all of his life, and died in 1887. The mother of Mrs. Peter was also a native of the Old Keystone state, and she departed this life in March, 1903. Mrs. Peter had the advantage of a good common school training. To Mr. and Mrs. Peter have been born five children, namely: Emerson, born February 3, 1868, and married Dora VERGIN, and living in Beard, this county; one died in infancy, unnamed; Dasiy, born August 29, 1873, married Preston NEWHART of this county; Mabel, born January 2, 1876, and died January 17, 1895; and Lydia, born March 31, 1878, married to Clinton MAXWELL. pp. 731-732 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DANIEL PETRE, a substantial farmer and ex-soldier of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in LaPorte county, Ind., July 4, 1834, and is of German descent. His grandfather Daniel Petre, a revolutionary soldier, was born and reared in Tennessee and there married Margaret SNYDER; their son, John Petre, was born in Hamilton county, Tenn., and came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1838; he married Margaret Haines, daughter of Henry and Lucinda (NAILER) HAINES, of Union county, Ind., and to this marriage, were born the, following children: Mary J., Daniel, John, Lucinda, Samuel, Henry, Sarah and Margaret. Henry Haines, father of Mrs. Petre, served in the war of 1812, with Gen. Jackson, at Horse Shoe Bend. John Petre died in 1849, and Mrs. Margaret Petre in 1853.
Daniel Petre, was reared on his father's farm and, was educated in the log schoolhouse of his district. He commenced life on his own account by working out at twenty-five cents per day. He worked hard for several years on farms and as a driver of canal-boats, to get a start. August 9, 1862, he enlisted in company K, Seventy-second Indiana volunteer infantry for the term of three years. He participated in the battles of Frankfort, Ky., Salt River, Perryville and Bardstown. At the last-named place he was stricken with measles, but unaware of the fact exposed himself to a heavy rain. He was sent to the hospital at Bowling Green, and was honorably discharged on account of disability, but never has recovered, nor never will recover, from the disorder, which has settled on his lungs. To his credit be it said, however, after six months of nursing and a partial recovery, he again offered his services, but was unable to pass medical examination. On his case being investigated by the proper authorities he was granted back pay amounting to $1,400, and a monthly pension of $17. Mr. Petre married Mary Lamberson, daughter of Levi and Sarah (MASON) LAMBERSON. Mr. Lamberson was born in Maryland and is of English descent. His children were named William, Amy, Eliza, Peter, deceased; Peter, Hettie, and Mary. After his marriage Mr. Petre and his wife settled on a farm of fifty acres, and in 1873 moved to his present farm of ninety acres, which he keeps in an excellent condition, and, which is improved with a neat and substantial barn, etc. Mr. Petre is a stanch republican. He has one married son, James, residing near his parents. Pages 840-841 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
PETTY, John Abner
JOHN ABNER PETTY, ex-sheriff of Clinton county, of Ind., and now a popular liveryman of Frankfort, was born in New Market, Va., May 19, 1837, and is a son of Charles, M. and Diana D. (PENCE) PETTY, both natives of the, Old Dominion. Charles M. Petty came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1837, bringing his wife and only son, John A., in a covered wagon. He settled in Frankfort and here established a tannery. He was an exemplary Christian and was one of the founders of the Methodist Episcopal church at Frankfort, within the fold of which he died, his remains being interred in the old South cemetery of that city. His wife was born in Rockingham county, Va., in, 1810, and died July 2, 1881 -- the day on which President Garfield was shot. Her children were three in number and were named: John, Abner, Charles M. and James F. John A. Petty grew to manhood in Frankfort and was educated in the city schools, but, at the age of seven, having lost his father, he began early to work out by the month on the farm and was thus inured to toil and his muscles hardened for the experience of his after life. He eventually drifted into the livery business, for which he seems to be peculiarly adapted, and his present extensive barns at 309 and 311 North Main Street, near the Lake Erie & Western and Clover Leaf depots, are the most commodious and among the best patronized in the city, the business, since October, having been conducted under the name of Petty & Cripe, L. E. Cripe being the junior member. Mr. Petty is a stanch democrat in his politics, and under the auspices of that party has served three terms as city councilman, and in 1884 was elected by the same party to the responsible position of county sheriff, which office he filled most satisfactorily to all concerned. He is a member of Frankfort commandery, No. 29, Knights Templar, and also of Dakota tribe, No. 42, Improved Order of Red Men, and is equally popular with both fraternities.
The marriage of Mr. Petty took place February 10, 1865, to Miss Nancy C. KELLY, a native of Clinton county, Ind., and this happy union was blessed November 20, 1865, by the birth of one son, Charlie E., now a resident of Frankfort, Ind. Mrs. Petty is a member of the Christian church, and in her daily walk manifests the sincerity of her belief in the teachings of that religious denomination. Page 841 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
PHILLIPS, John T.
Agriculture has ever been the one dominion wherein man's efforts are directed as nature intended. At an early day the farmer was an agriculturist in every sense of the word, and his labors were of direct benefit to himself and his neighbors, without the intervention of commission men and dealers such as check the endeavors of the modern farmer. Among the agriculturists of Clinton county whose names typify the industry, the prosperity and the progressiveness of the territory, that of John T. Phillips stands high. There is much pleasure in sketching the life of this man.
John T. Phillips was born March 31, 1848, in North Carolina, being the son of Solomon PHILLIPS was a mechanic and cooper by trade, and had, like his wife, a good common school education. Eleven children comprised his family: John, Ray, Mary, Millie, Henrietta, Sally, Malinda, and Walter. Three of the children are now dead. Both of the parents have also passed from the land of the living.
In 1872, John Phillips moved to Illinois, staying there until 1900. At that time he came to Kirklin township, Clinton county, where he now resides. Although he obtained a slight education in the common schools in early life. Mr. Phillips received most of his scholastic training after he was sixteen years of age. He took great interest in his work, and derived as much benefit from the limited work he could get as most obtain from a thorough college course.
In 1874, March 1, Mr. Phillips was married to Irene WERTS, born in Illinois in 1857, the daughter of Jesse S. and Mary (SLUSHER) WERTS, natives of Ohio. Like her husband, Mrs. Phillips received a common school education. She was a lover of her home and children and a loyal friend to her many acquaintances. She was called from this earth on July 13, 1893. They had four children: Nellie HAWLEY, born 1875, died June 3, 1912; Edward B., born 1877; Charles, born 1880; and Nettie, born 1885.
John Phillips has since the day he settled in Kirklin township, farmed with an extraordinary degree of success. He is a self-made man, having started without a penny and by perseverance and hard work working himself up to his present position. He lives now on a farm of one hundred and twelve acres, well tiled and all tillable land. The most modern of improvements equip his estate, including a good, roomy house and an excellent barn.
Mr. Phillips has not desired to enter very extensively into public life, but has been contended to do his share of social work in other ways. In politics he is a Democrat. Mr. Phillips is now leading a retired life resting from the labors of his past years.
pp. 818-819 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
PRICE, John T.
There is no vocation, however humble it may be, in which industry and perseverance, in company with an honest purpose, will not be productive of some measure of success, and in the business of farming these qualities are highly essential. Among, the progressive farmers of the younger generation in Clinton county, who have already attained a large measure of success is John PRICE, of whom we speak in this cursory review. He is descended from good Kentucky stock, and has inherited many characteristics which have stood him in good stead in life's battle for supremacy.
Mr. PRICE was born January 3, 1875, in Sugar Creek township, this county, and has lived within three miles of his home here all of his life. The date of his birth was the beginning of a life, the limits of which we can not prophesy, but it is safe to say that in the years to come his works will be pointed to with pride by his children and his fellows. His father was William PRICE and the mother, before marriage, was Martha WILSON. The father was born October 13, 1843, in Kentucky, and moved to Clinton county, Indiana, when he was only seven years old. He died in 1910 after a long life of success in farming. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving four years three months and twenty days in Company E, Fortieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. His two brothers and seven brothers-in-law were also in the service. William Price was a Democrat in politics, and always believed in pure campaigns. The mother was born in Sugar Creek township on August 9, 1851, and still lives on the old home place near the farm of John Price. Both parents received common school educations in their youth. Six children were born to them: James, John, Charles A. (dec.), George H. (dec.), Tullia L., Tura and Ida F. (dec.).
Our subject was married March 7, 1897, to Lettie B. ELLIS, the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (BROWN) ELLIS. She is a native of Montgomery county, Indiana. The father is a native of Ohio and the mother was reared in the county of her daughter's birth. The father is dead, but the mother still lives. Seven children have been born to John Price and. wife: Olive Fern, June 22, 1896; William Henry, November 15, 1899; Flossie Myrtle, October 10, 1901; Raymond L., May 18, 1905; Bertha Florence, October 10, 1908; Hazel Valentine, February 14, 1910, and Harvey Woodrow, July 20, 1912.
The main part of Mr. Price's activities is confined to general farming, stock shipping and breeding. Outside this he deals quite a little in real estate, and has interests in merchandise at the Pickard Mills. He owns 260 acres of fertile land in Sugar Creek township, all but thirty acres of which is tillable and well tiled and fenced. This comprises the home place, the improvements on which were built by Mr. Price himself. In addition he has another one hundred and twenty acres in Sugar Creek township and one hundred and twenty acres in Adams county, this state, besides a house and lot in Union City, Ind.
Mr. Price belongs to the Masonic Order at Pickard, also the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Improved Order of Red Men at the same place. Politically, he is a Democrat. For a time he served on the advisory board here. He takes a great interest in education and is a strong advocate of the country schools. Pages 720 721.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
, a prominent farmer and one of the oldest citizens of Johnson
township, Clinton county, Ind. was born in Fayette county, Ind.,
April 29, 1820 and is of good old English stock. His grandfather,
also named John, was a native of South Carolina; William PRUITT,
his son, was born in South Carolina, December 25. 1793. He
married Rebecca HAWKINS, and they came, in company with another
family, to Indiana in 1817, a one-horse wagon bringing the
effects of both families. Mr. Pruitt located, consecutively, in
Franklin, Fayette, Rush and Bartholomew counties, and while a
resident of the latter was the owner of the first spring-wagon
and first set of check lines ever owned in the county.
John PRUITT attended the pioneer schoolhouse of his early days, in which school was kept from daylight till dark. He began his business life by purchasing twenty acres of his present farm in Clinton county, but at one time owned, before dividing with his children 720 acres. He married Nancy J. STEWART, who became the mother of nine children, viz: Rebecca E., William 0., James W., Dorcas L., Stephen A. (died an infant), Mary A., Caroline M , Maggie and Jennie L. To the surviving eight children of this family Mr. PRUITT has given eighty acres of land each. Mr. Pruitt is a sound democrat, and has been elected to the office of county commissioner twelve consecutive years - during which period the county court house was erected. He and wife are devoted members of the Church of God, and fraternally he is a member of Herman lodge, No. 184, F & A. M., at Michigantown, Mr. Pruitt has been an industrious, upright and enterprising citizen, and has been rewarded by a competency and what is in one sense more precious, the esteem and respect of his fellow-citizens. Pages 843-844.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.