Biographies - R
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
REVIS, Joseph G.
JOSEPH G. REVIS, one of the practical farmers of Ross township, Clinton county, Ind., son of Enoch REVIS. Was born in Butler county, Ohio, September 21, 1838, and came with his father to Clinton county, Ind., in 1845, when he was seven years old. Joseph G. received a common education, became a farmer and married Charlotte C. BAILEY, August 4, 1872, daughter of Philip P. and Hagar (JOHNSON) BAILEY. To Mr. and Mrs. Revis was born one child - Milford W. Mr. REVIS died October 26, 1887. After marriage Mr. Revis settled on a farm three and one-miles north of Colfax, Ind., and here lived until 1890, when he married, on July 29, Catherine A. WAGET, nee Catherine TRENTZ. Peter TRENTZ, her father, was born in Saarlovis, Germany, lived in the town of Linbach, and was a farmer. His father was also Peter Trentz, and the family have been farmers for generations. The elder Trentz owned a farm of twenty acres, which was a:good property for that country. He and wife were the parents of six children: Peter, Nicholas, Catherine, John, Peter and Mary. Beside his farm, he kept a bakery and hotel; in his later life had a grocery and butcher shop, and was a well-to-do man. He and wife were members of the Catholic church. In July, 1885, Mr. Trentz came to America, as two of his children-Catherine A. and Peter-had settled in this country. Mr. Trentz bought a farm of 120 acres in Stark county, Ind., one mile from Hamlet, and there he still lives. Catherine A. TRENTZ, wife of our subject, married, in Germany, John WAGET, who had been to America and returned to Germany. He then came back to this country and settled on the farm where J. G. REVIS now lives, consisting of 129 acres, which is the old Wolf farm, near Edna Mills. To Mr. and Mrs., WAGET was born one daughter, Annie. Mr. Waget died January 12, 1886, aged fifty years. Mr. and Mrs. REVIS reside on the Waget homestead and have one child, Leonie. Both Mr. and Mrs. Revis are members of the Baptist church, and politically Mr. Revis is a democrat, and he has been supervisor. Enoch REVIS, father of J. G. Revis, is one of the pioneers and the oldest man in Ross township, if not in Clinton county, being eighty-seven years old. He springs from sterling English stock on his father's side, and on his mother's side from the Irish. Jesse REVIS was the grandfather of Enoch, was born in Surry county, N. C., and was a farmer. He married and reared a family of five children by his first wife: John, David, Edward, Susan and Nancy; by his second wife he was the father of two children-Jesse and Joel. He lived to be one hundred years old and died on his farm in Surry county, N. C. He was a prominent man, yet remembered by our subject, who was in his nineteenth year when he died. Edward REVIS, the father of Enoch, was born in Surry county, N. C., was a farmer, married in his native county, Mary, daughter of William and Elizabeth (ALEXANDER) HATTICK. Mr. Revis settled on the old home farm, and here passed all his days. He and wife were the parents of seven children: William, John, Enoch, Asbury, Elizabeth, Lydia and Mary. Mr.and Mrs. Revis were members of the Baptist church. He died at the age of about forty years, on his farm, of fever. After the death of her husband Mrs. REVIS married Jerry PATRICK, and they had three children: Jerry, Sarah and Mattie. She lived to be an aged woman and died in Ashe county, N. C. Enoch REVIS, father of J. G. Revis, was born July 10, 1807, on his father's farm, remaining there until twenty-three years old. He married in 1829, Tempie REVIS, his second cousin, daughter of Abel Revis, son of David, who was a son of Jesse, grandfather of Enoch: In 1830 Enoch Revis moved to Butler county, Ohio, where he lived fifteen years on a farm. He and wife are the parents of five children: Mary, John, Joseph G., Elsie and Elizabeth. Joseph G. Revis came to Indiana in 1845 and settled on his present land, then covered by heavy timber, and which by industry and thrift he cleared up and made a good home. Mrs. REVIS died and he married widow Lucy CRIPE, formerly Miss DANIELS, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (COCKRAN) DANIELS. Mr. Daniels was an old settler of Carroll county, Ind., from Scioto county, Ohio, and settled in Indiana as a pioneer in 1827, when the Indians and wild game were plentiful. To Mr. and Mrs. Daniels were born eleven children: Sophia, Eliza. Jesse, Stephen, Jane, Elizabeth, Sarah and Lucy (twins), Samuel, Mary and William. Mr. DANIELS was a prosperous farmer and died aged sixty-one years. His father, Nehemiah DANIELS, was a farmer of Virginia and here Samuel was born. Nehemiah Daniels was killed in battle, in the Revolutionary war. To Mr. and Mrs. Reves were born six children: Lucy R., Catherine M., Martha A., Daniel, Hannah and Thersa. Enoch Revis has remained on his present homestead since he settled there, a residence of one-half a century. Mr. and Mrs. Revis are members of the Regular Baptist church, and Mr. Revis is an honest and respected citizen, having been a very industrious and hardworking man throughout his life, and in his younger days endured the hardships and privations of the pioneer. He has always stood high for his integrity of character, and throughout his long life has maintained the confidence and respect of the people. Daniel REVIS, son of above and brother of J. G. Revis, was born November 2, 1856, received a good common education, became a farmer, and married Clara STINSON, daughter of Henry and Rosa (BAILEY) STINSON. To Mr. and Mrs. Revis have been born three children: Walter H., Wilson F. and L. D. Mr. Revis is a practical farmer and manages the home farm. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church, and in politics he is a democrat. Pages 844 845. Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
RICE, John Andrew
JOHN ANDREW RICE, dealer in dry-goods and notions, Frankfort, is a native of Clinton county, Ind., and a son of Johna and Rebecca RICE. The father, a son of Dr. Jonathan Rice, was born in Pennsylvania in 1833, and came to Clinton county, Ind., with his parents when about seventeen years of age. by occupation he was a farmer and he married in the county of Clinton Rebecca J. RICHARDSON, who was born in the state of Virginia in the year 1835. Her father, Richard R. RICHARDSON, also a Virginian by birth and of English descent, was a pioneer of Clinton county and died here a number of years ago. The following are the names of the children of John and Rebecca Rice -- William (deceased), Wesley, (deceased), John A., Milton H., Matthew (deceased), and Mary (deceased). The father of these children died in Clinton county, Ind., in 1867, and the mother departed this life two years prior to that date. Dr. Jonathan Rice, the subject's grandfather, a native of Pennsylvania, moved to Indiana a number of years ago, settling in Henry county; thence, in 1850, he moved to the county of Clinton, where his death occurred in 1858 at the age of sixty-five years. He was a farmer, a physician and minister, and was known as a man of marked intellectuality. The following are the names of his children -- Daniel, a prominent farmer of Clinton county; Mary J., Nancy, John, Joseph, also a farmer of Clinton; William S., Elmira, Angeline and Jonathan. The mother of these children, whose maiden name was Elizabeth SAWYER, was also a native of Pennsylvania.
John A. RICE was born January 11,1859, grew to manhood on a farm and received a good education in the common schools. For some years, he taught in the public schools of Clinton county, eleven terms in all, and made a creditable record as an instructor. In 1883, he accepted a clerkship with a business firm in Frankfort, and, after serving in that capacity three years, embarked in the mercantile trade upon his own responsibility and has since continued the same with success and financial profit. Mr. Rice deals in dry-goods and notions, making a specialty of fine furnishings, and his store room, No. 212 Main Street, is one of the well-known and popular business places of the city. Mr. Rice is a pleasant gentleman, affable and courteous, stands well in business circle.and socially enjoys great popularity in Frankfort. His business venture has fully met his expectations and his standing in the commercial world is quoted as strictly first class. Mr. Rice was married in 1879 to Miss Maggie C. BEARD, of Clinton county, to which union two children have been born -- Zua and Claude. Mr. and Mrs. RICE are valued members of the Methodist church of Frankfort and politically he supports the democratic party. He is a member of the Pythian fraternity, Red Men and Knights of Honor. pp. 846 & 849. Source I
Transcribed by Connie
RIDNOUR, William S.
Success has come to William S. Ridnour, undertaker and funeral director, of the village of Forest, Clinton county, because he has worked for it along legitimate and well established lines, and at the same time has dealt honestly and conscientiously with his fellow men. He has always manifested an abiding interest in the general welfare of this community and his support could always be depended upon in furthering any laudable undertaking for the public weal. He, therefore, enjoys the good will and respect of a wide acquaintance.
Mr. Ridnour was born May 3, 1872, in Russiaville, Howard county, Indiana. He is a son of Adam and Sarah (WILSON) RIDNOUR. The father was born July 5, 1846, in Tennessee, and there he grew to manhood, working hard when a boy to get a start in the world. He remained in his native locality until after his marriage, when he removed to Indiana, locating the future home of the family in Howard county. His death occurred on September 17, 1911. The mother of our subject was born in Knox county, Tennessee, May 18, 1844, and her death occurred on October 19, 1911. Adam Ridnour devoted his life to general farming and stock raising and to the buying, and selling of live stock, making that a business for many years. He raised Hereford and shorthorn cattle, Poland-China hogs and later Chester White hogs, and a great many mules. Politically, he was a Republican. He enlisted for service in the Civil war when only fifteen years of age, in 1862, in a Tennessee regiment, and served three years as gallantly as the older veterans of the army.
Six children were born to Adam Ridnour, four of whom are still living, namely: Mrs. Emma JORDAN, Mrs. Della FITZER, William S., of this sketch, and Grant, the latter two being twins. Alice and Isaac are deceased.
William S. Ridnour received a common school education in the schools of Howard county, Indiana, and during the summer months he worked on his father's farm. On April 7, 1895, he married Alona BLAIR, a native of Decatur county, Indiana, the date of her birth being May 4, 1876. She is a daughter of Leonard B. and Elizabeth (PARKESON) BLAIR, both natives of Decatur county and both now deceased, the mother passing away when Mrs. Ridnour was young. Mr. Blair engaged in farming all his life. Mrs. Ridnour grew to womanhood in her native locality and received a common school education.
Three children, only one of whom survive, have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Fern Madilene, born September 3, 1896, died in March, 1898;. Arthur W., born December 15, 1898, died November, 1911, having been killed by a playmate with a rifle: Adam Omar, born February 21, 1904, now in school.
Mr. Ridnour moved to Clinton county in February, 1906, to make his permanent home, but has traveled for four years, sightseeing, first in the northern states and Canada, and later in Iowa, the Middle West, and other sections. He lived on a farm in Clinton county thirteen years all told, and he still owns a valuable farm of one hundred and twenty acres, all tillable but about five acres. It is well improved in every respect and has a good set of buildings. He keeps his place rented. While engaged in general farming he raised black cattle and shorthorns, the 0. I. C. hogs and draft horses. He moved to the town of Forest in January, 1912, and went into the furniture and undertaking business, in partnership with a Mr. Lowery, under the firm name of Lowery & Company. He bought out his partner in July, 1912, and is now engaged in the furniture business alone although he has a partner in the undertaking business, W. L. STOUT, the firm being Ridnour & Stout. He has built up a growing business in both lines of endeavor, keeping a large and carefully selected stock of furniture and is well equipped as an undertaker. He lives in a pleasant home in Forest.
Mr. Ridnour is a Republican in politics, and fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias at Forest. He made the race for sheriff of Clinton county in 1910, but was defeated. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. Pages 555 557 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
A careful, industrious farmer of Clinton county is David ROBERTSON, one of the younger generation of agriculturists who are upholding the reputation of their fathers as tillers of the soil. Mr. Robertson learned many things the vocation while he was youth, and as youthful impressions are the strongest and are the guides to future life, and as his father's teaching was perfect in class and technique, he has had no trouble ranking among the most successful and scientific of this county's farmers. His ancestors were good Hoosier people who early in the century broke the forests of Indiana in order that a home might be erected.
Mr. Robertson was born on February 12, 1880, in Howard county, Indiana, and was the son of Bryant and Mary Jane (GULLION) ROBERTSON. The father was born April 8, 1843, in Rush county, and is still living in Forest. The mother was born in 1849 in Howard county, and survives. Both parents received a common school education and the father followed farming all his life. He was a Democrat. Eight children were born to the union: Minnie, Loren, David, Daniel, Martha, Pearl, Homer and Ernest.
David Robertson received the usual common school training in Howard county, and then took up active farming. He moved in 1897 from Howard county to Forest township and then jumped to Johnson township, where he now lives. He has continued to farm ever since, and raises jersey milch cows and Jersey hogs on the side. He has one hundred and ninety-six acres of land where he lives and which belongs to his wife's father. It is all tillable with the exception of twenty acres, which is in timber. On the estate is a fine home, which is a model for a country residence.
Mr. Robertson was married on December 24, 1902, to Jennie DAVIS, who was born in this township on May 23, 1882, the daughter of William H. and Molly (PRUITT) DAVIS, farmers who now reside in Forest township. Three children have been born of this union: Lillie, January 10, 1903; William, July 18, 1906, and Mable Iretha, August 23, 1913.
Religiously, Mr. Robertson is a member of the Methodist Protestant church. and politically a Democrat. Pages 568 & 569 Source II Transcribed by Connie
ROBISON, A. M.
Eighty years have dissolved in the mists of the irrevocable past since A. M. ROBISON, venerable and honored retired framer of Owen township first saw the light of day, he being the oldest living son of Warren township, Clinton county. He has lived through one of the most remarkable, and in many respects the most wonderful, epoch in the history of the worlds history. There will never be another one like it, for it embraced that period when the strong-armed homeseekers from the Eastern states invaded the Middle West, his father being among the number, and redeemed this splendid section of our great Union from the wilds, bringing it up through various stages to its present high state of cultivation and civilization. To all this our subject has been a most interested and by no means a passive spectator, having sought to do his full share in work of progress in the locality which he has ever taken a delight in seeing develop. He talks most interestingly of the early days when the customs and manners were different, men and women were different everything in fact, unlike what is our civilization is today. He and others who came down to us from the pioneer epoch are of the opinion that those were better, at least happier times, than now, and this is, in the main, true.
Mr. ROBISON was born November 27, 1833, in Warren township, Clinton county. He is the son of Andrew and Grizella (McAFEE) ROBISON. The father was born in Warren county, Ohio, January 10, 1802, and there grew to manhood, removing from there once in 1824 to Parke county, Indiana. In October, 1824, about the time of his removal from his home community, he married the mother of our subject, who was born in Warren county, Ohio, December 30, 1801, and whose death occurred in 1852. On March 18, 1832, the parents of our subject moved to Warren township, Clinton county, they began life in typical fashion, erecting a log cabin and clearing up the land on which they settled, and here the fathers death occurred on April 5, 1877. He was a man or (sic) rare soundness of judgment and had a naturally fine mathematical mind. He became quite prominent in politics, was first a Whig, and later a Republican.
James H. ROBISON, paternal grandfather of our subject, was born in 1772, served in the war of 1812 and died in 1814. His wife, Elizabeth PARKS, was born in 1775, and her death occurred in 1855.
Andrew ROBISON was twice married, first to Grizella McAFEE, by whom five children were born. A. M., of this sketch, the youngest, being the only one now living. The others were John M., James H., Thomas P. and Margaret N. The father's second -marriage was to Phoebe J. EMLEY, who was born in Michigan township, Clinton county, and who is still living. To this second union four children were born, three of whom are still living.
A. M. ROBISON grew to manhood on the old home farm, where, being a
pioneer child, he found plenty of hard work to do, which he did uncomplainingly. He received a meager education in the old-time schools of his day. November 16, 1865, he married Hannah A. BATE, who was born in Clark county, Ohio, January 4, 1837. She was a daughter of Josiah and Hannah A. (JONES) BATE, the father a native of New Jersey, and the mother of Ohio. The death of Mr. ROBISON's first wife occurred May 7, 1899. Eight children were born of this union: Maggie M., born October 25, 1866; James P., born November 4, 186; Andrew J., born January 8, 1869, died August 19, 1870; John E., born August 28, 1871; Emma E., born April 7, 1874; Winfield M. and Grizella, twins, born October 4, 1876, the latter now living; Winfield, died October 5, 1882; and Jessie B., born January 6, 1881.
A. M. ROBISON began farming for himself when a young man and this continued to be his life vocation, with the exception of some time spent in working in the timber in the early timbering days. He is owner of a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Warren township, and two and one-half acres where he lives in the village of Gettingsville, Owen township. He has been very successful as a general farmer and stock man and is spnding (sic) his old age in the midst of plenty and comfort.
He was one of the gallant Hoosiers who made up the great army in blue that suppressed the rebellion, having enlisted September 1, 1861 in the Third Indiana Light Artillery, under Captain Freyberger, in which he served faithfully until overheated and sent home; but in September, 1862, he enlisted in Company 1, One Hundredth Indiana Volunteer Infantry serving in the same about four months when he was sent home as a result of sickness. Upon his recovery he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment, February 22, 1864, in which he served until the close of the war, being honorably discharged July 22, 1865.
Politically, Mr. Robison is a Republican and has always been a loyal supporter of his party. He ably served as a member of the county council for a period of fourteen years, having been elected four times and is still incumbent of this office, the duties of which he has discharged to the satisfaction of all concerned. He is a member, of the Grand Army of the Republic. He attends and supports the Presbyterian church. Pages 624 & 625. Photos of Mr. and Mrs. Robison included. Source II Transcribed by Connie
ROBISON, John E. , M. D.
It is often said that a poet is born, meaning that the individual who essays to court the muses with success must have been peculiarly fitted by mother nature. It seems that the same phrase might be applied with equal truth to the successful practitioner of medicine. Of course the poet can go ahead and write without taking any special preparatory work in college. There is not much to be learned in the way of the "mechanical" part of his work, such as the laws of prosody, and on the other hand the physician must take a long and special course of study, but if he succeeds above the ordinary plodder he must be specially gifted by nature. Many men go through the prescribed routine of work under the law and obtain a diploma entitling them to practice medicine when they are utterly unfit for this field of work and do more harm than good. One of the general practitioners of Clinton county who seems to have been peculiarly fitted for his chosen vocation is Dr. John E. ROBISON, of the village of Geetingsville, Warren township, for he has been successful from the first and has ingratiated himself into the hearts and affections of his patients. In due course of time he will doubtless rank among the leading professional men of this section of the state.
Dr. ROBISON was born August 28, 1871, in the above named township and county. He is a son of Andrew M. and Hannah A. (BATE) ROBISON. The father was born November 27, 1833, also in Warren township, Clinton county, having enjoyed the distinction of being the second white child born in Warren township. He was a son of Andrew ROBISON, Sr., one of the first settlers in this vicinity, who entered land here when the country round about was a wilderness and still roamed by red men and wild beasts. He began life in typical pioneer fashion, in a log cabin and cleared his land by hard work and perseverance. From that early day to the present this family has been well known and highly respected for their industry and exemplary habits. The father of our subject, who has devoted his life successfully to general farming is still living, making his home in Owen township, this county. The mother of the doctor was born January, 1837, and her death occurred on May 7, 1899. Eight children were born to these parents, named as follows: Mrs. Margaret SMYTHE; James P., married Maud BAYLES; Andrew (deceased); Dr. John E., of this sketch; Mrs. Emma ERDLE; Grizella and Winfield, twins (deceased), and Mrs. Jessie B. WRIGHT.
Doctor ROBISON was reared on the home farm and educated in the district schools in Warren township. First deciding to be a teacher, he attended the Danville Normal School in order to fit himself, after which he taught two terms, but deciding that his true bent lay along the line of a practitioner of medicine he abandoned the school room and began the study of medicine, in which he made rapid progress. He attended the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, where he made an excellent record and from which he was graduated with the class of 1901. He soon afterwards located for practice in the village of Geetingsville, in his native township and county, and here he has since remained, enjoying a large and growing practice which extends all over this section of Clinton county.
Doctor ROBISON was married June 23, 1901 to Sarah E. MILLER, who was born in Ross township, Clinton county, March 7, 1874, and here she grew to womanhood and was educated in the public schools. She is a daughter of Christian and Jane (TROXELL) MILLER, both still living. Mr. Miller devoted his life to general farming in this locality.
To the doctor and wife three children have been born namely: Adeline, born July 8, 1902; Paul M., born October 12, 1905; and Lena Esther, born November 24, 1910.
Doctor Robison is owner of eighty acres of valuable land in Tippecanoe county, near Dayton, Ind., which is well improved. Fraternally, he is a Mason, being a member of the Council and Commandery, the Blue lodge at Beard and the Knights Templars of Frankfort. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and politically, is a Republican. He is a member of the Clinton County Medical Society, the Indiana State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association. Pages 640 642. Photo of Mr. and Mrs. Robison included. Source II Transcribed by Connie
HARRISON RODENBURGER, a well known farmer and representative citizen of Union township, Clinton county Ind., has the honor of being a native of Indiana. He was born in Tippecanoe county, February 26, 1848, and is a son of George and Lydia (WALTERS) RODENBARGER. They were natives of Pennsylvania and came of old German families. Emigrating westward they settled in Tippecanoe county, where the father purchased eighty acres of land. Later he came to Clinton county and bought a farm of 141 acres, which he operated until his death in November, 1885. Of their nine children, eight are still living, namely: William, Sarah, Harrison, Emma, Mary, Catherine, Levi and Hannah. Carolina has passed away.
Harrison RODENBARGER, whose name heads this sketch, remained with his parents until twenty-four years of age. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Linnie I. CARTER, their wedding being celebrated March 6, 1873. The lady is a daughter of Richard J. and Eleanor (BYERS) CARTER, who both were of German lineage. The father was born in Loudoun county, Va., in 1808, and was a son of Jesse and Hannah (RICHARDS) CARTER, who were also born in the Old Dominion. His grandfather, William Carter, was a native of Wales, and died in Clinton county, Ind., at the advanced age of ninety-two. His maternal grandfather, Richard RICHARDS, was born in Virginia, and came of an old English family. When Richard J. CARTER was five years of age his parents removed to Butler county, Ohio, where he was reared on a farm. At the age of nineteen he came west on an exploring expedition and was very favorably impressed with this country. He then returned to Ohio, and the following January his father removed the family to this county, settling in Union township, where he entered 240 acres of wild land. He was the first representative elected to the state legislature from this county, and served as county agent in an early day. He here resided until his death, which occurred in 1872, at the ripe old age of eighty-eight. His wife passed away in 1840. In their family were five children, namely: Julia A., Richard J, William, who was president of the First National bank from its organization until his death in 1882; Dr. Franklin M., a prominent physician of Frankfort, Ind., who died in 1856; and Manly who died in 1840.
Richard J. CARTER remained at home until his marriage, which occurred December 15, 1836. His wife was a daughter of Ephraim and Catherine (WHITE) BYERS, who became residents of Juniata county, Pa., in 1833. Upon his marriage, Mr. Carter settled upon a farm adjoining the old homestead which he had previously purchased. At one time he owned 500 acres of valuable land, most of which has now been in the family for half a century. He was actively engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1882, when he retired and removed to Frankfort, where his estimable wife is still living. They were both active and consistent members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics he was a stalwart republican. Although a resident of Center township for over fifty-six years, he never sought or accepted public office, except on one occasion, when he served for three years as county commissioner. No man was more widely or favorably known in Clinton county than Richard Carter. He was always ready to help those in need, and gave freely to church and benevolent work, yet accumulated a handsome fortune, and after liberal gifts to his children, he still had $75,000, much of which is invested in the First National bank.
To Mr. and Mrs. RODENBARGER have been born nine children, seven of whom are yet living: William G., who was born September 14, 1874; Cora D., who was born October 7, 1876, and died December 17, 1881; George, born August 27, 1878; Bertha, born May 3, 1881; Edith P., born April 6, 1883; Carrie, born July 9 1885; Manly R.. born May 21, 1887; Herman W., born November 29, 1889; and one who died in infancy. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rodenberger are members of the German Reform church, and are prominent people of this community, widely and favorably known. In politics he is a republican, but has never been an aspirant for office. He now owns and operates 178 acres of good land, all under a high state of cultivation, and his farm is one of the best in the neighborhood. Pages 845-846 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
ROSS, John A.
JOHN A. ROSS, of Frankfort, Ind., was, born in Tippecanoe county, near La Fayette, Ind., January 26th, 1861, a son of Alexander and Mary (JOHNSON) ROSS. Alexander ROSS is of Scotch extraction, born in Ireland, and was but thirteen years of age when he came to the United States, locating at La Fayette. He was united in marriage with Miss Mary JOHNSON, who was born in Sweden, but came to the United States when twelve years of age.
John A. ROSS, the subject of this sketch, is the eldest of eight children and until twenty-one years of age resided in La Fayette, where he received an excellent education, including a course of book-keeping and civil engineering, and from the age of fifteen until twenty-one he greatly assisted his father, who was a general contractor. In 1882, John A. ROSS located in Frankfort and engaged in contracting for a year; in 1883 and 1884 he was engaged in the same business in La Fayette and Huntington, Ind. After alternating between Frankfort and La Fayette he permanently located in Frankfort, in 1888, and formed a partnership with James A. HEDGECOCK for the purpose of doing a general contracting business, embracing gravel-roads, bridges, street improvement, sewerage and erection of business blocks, and the firm were awarded contracts for the improvement of many of the principal streets of Frankfort, miles of gravel-road and a large number of the principal iron bridges for the county. In every instance their work has proved eminently satisfactory to all concerned, and stands as a monument to their ability and integrity as public contractors. They were able at all times to furnish employment to hundreds of laboring men at a just and reasonable compensation, believing that, "the laborer is worthy of his hire." The business of this firm has been most successful, the Petty building, Clark block, Sheets block and numerous other buildings being among their work in Frankfort. Street contracting, bridge building, and general contracting occupied the time of the firm from 1888 until 1892, the business amounting to thousands of dollars annually.
In 1892 the firm established The Frankfort Brick works, with a capacity of three and one half to four million brick annually, giving employment to sixty or seventy men. In the spring of 1894 their brick works were totally destroyed bv fire, entailing a loss of $16,000 or $18,000, which was only partially covered by insurance. Not discouraged by this misfortune, the firm at once cleared the wreck and proceeded to re-build the works on a larger scale and with increased facilities, and at the present have one of the best equipped brick works in central Indiana. During all these years, thus engaged in public works, giving employment to hundreds of men, this firm has never experienced the least trouble on account of strikes or dissatisfation on the part of the men in their employ.
On the twelfth day of February, 1884, Mr. ROSS was happily married to Miss Lola A. CURTIS, daughter of Charles P. CURTIS, who was born in England, and Esther (RINARD) CURTIS, born in America but of German extraction. Miss Lola was born La Fayette, Ind., and of a family of eleven children she was the youngest. To this union have been born three children, viz : Worley A., Carrie Venita and Margaret Zola. Mr. Ross is an honored member of the K. of P. and I. 0. R. M., is a Methodist, and in politicts is a republican; socially he and his estimable wife hold an enviable position. pp. 849 & 850. Source I Transcribed by Connie
Christian Rothenberger came to this county in 1848 and settled in Madison Township, where now stands the village of Mulberry. The old warehouse now used by Aaron Burtrager was Mr. Rothenbergers barn. He lived here about three years, farming part of the land of said village. Mr. Rothenberger was born in Lehigh County Pennsylvania, April 21, 1824, son of George and Sarah (Mentz) Rothenberger. His father was a native of Pennsylvania; he remained at home until his fathers death, and he himself died at the same place more than thirty years ago. October 14, 1852, our subject married Miss Marietta Leibenguth, daughter of Peter and Hannah (App) Leibenguth. She was born December 3, 1831, in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, and when three years of age came to this county with her parents, where she has since resided. Her parents were born in Northampton County, her father in 1800. Her mother died March 25, 1866, Mr. And Mrs. Rothenberger Have had ten children- Frank P., born September 6, 1853; Josiah, born March 28,1856; Flora E., born February 2, 1858; Peter born August 12, 1860; Lydia M., born December 14, 1862; Perry A., born July 27, 1865; Lewis born January 4, 1869; Ida A., born January 14 1873. Sarah H., died March 19,1856; Mary J., died January 28,1872. Mr. Rothenberger has been quite an extensive fisherman in his day. In the fall of 1881 he went fishing, accompanied by some of his neighbors, and caught 800 fish in the Wild Cat River that runs through Ed Robinsons farm. He belongs to the Lutheran church. And in politics is a Democrat. He was once supervisor of the town.
Source: History Of Clinton County by Interstate 1878
Transcribed and submitted by Dick Leibenguth
Like many of the most enterprising and esteemed citizens of Clinton county the Rothenbergers came from Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. It seems that a few courageous men of that county found their way to this when Indiana was first being settled, and, being pleased with the prospect here, induced their friends to make a similar overland journey westward across the great Alleghenies: they in turn told their friends and relatives of the splendid new country they had found, and so for generations this has been going on until today it is surprising how many of our citizens came directly from the old country in the Keystone state or are descendants of those who did come from there.
Lewis Rothenberger, farmer of Madison township, is of the second generation of people from Lehigh county, but he himself was born on the old homestead in Madison township, in 1869. He is a son of Christian ROTHENBERGER who immigrated when a young man to Clinton county in 1848, locating in Madison township. He was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, April 21, 1824. He is a son of George and Sarah (WENTZ) ROTHENBERGER. His father was also a native of Pennsylvania. On October 24, 1852 he married Marietta LEIBENGUTH, a daughter of Peter and Hannah (APP) LEIBENGUTH. She was born December 3, 1831 in Northampton county, Pennsylvania. The following children were born to our subject's parents: Frank P., Josiah, Flora E., Peter, Lydia M., Perry A., Lewis, Ida A., Sarah H. and Mary J. The father of these children was a great fisherman in his day. In the fall of 1881 he went fishing, accompanied by some of his neighbors, and caught eight hundred pounds of fish on the Wild Cat river. He belonged to the Lutheran church and politically he was a Democrat. He was at one time supervisor of his township. He came to this county a poor man, but by industry and economy he secured a competency. He lived to be seventy-five years of age. His widow survives, being now eighty-three years old. She lives in the town of Mulberry where she has a fine home and she enjoys good health. She is a woman noted for her charity, hospitality and old-time Christianity, and also for her good memory.
Lewis Rothenberger was reared on the old home farm and he was educated in the rural schools of his neighborhood. When fourteen years old he went to live with his brother Josiah. He was married on February 14, 1892 to Cora SNYDER, who was born in Lehigh county, Pa., and came to Indiana with her parents at the age of eight years. She is a daughter of Edwin SNYDER, who was born in Lehigh county, Pa., where he spent his earlier years. Mrs. Rothenberger was born October 5, 1868. Her mother was Hannah REX, before her marriage, a daughter of Jacob REX, now deceased. Eight children were born to Edwin SNYDER and wife, namely: Oliver E. died at the age of twenty-one years; Cora, wife of our subject; Mrs. Mary HEDRICK, of Flora, Ind.; Aaron lives in Nevada; Albert lives in Crawfordsville, Ind.; Ada lives in Monticello Ind.; Rev. Howard S. lives in Kingston, New York; Samuel is engaged in farming in Clinton county. The parents of these children were members of the Lutheran church.
Lewis Rothenberger has devoted his life successfully to general farming. He is owner of a valuable place of eighty-three acres in Madison township, where he is carrying on general farming and stock raising. He has a good nine-roomed house installed with a furnace and acetylene light plant, a large barn thirty-six by sixty-eight feet and such modern farming implements as his needs require.
Three children have been born to our subject and wife: Orpha Maude, born December 21, 1892. She is a graduate from the Academic department of Weidners Institute at Mulberry, Ind., in 1911, and also from junior College of Weidner Institute; Neva Hannah, born April 22, 1893. She also is a graduate from the Academic department of Weidner Institute in 1913 and is also attending college at present; Laura May, born February 25, 1897, died December 19, 1898. Mr. Rothenberger also has some experience with carpenter, blacksmith and cement tools, doing nearly all his own work and some for his neighbors in that line. He has between one hundred and twenty-five and one hundred and fifty barrels of cement used on his farm and is expecting to use more.
Politically, Mr. Rothenberger is a Democrat. He is a member of the Fair Haven Evangelical Lutheran church, near Mulberry, Ind., and for years has been active in church and school work. Pages 778 780 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
ROTHENBERGER, Perry A.
As the name would indicate Perry A. Rothenberger, well-known farmer of Madison township, is of German descent and he has seemingly inherited the characteristic thrift of his forebears which has resulted in the attainment of a definite degree of success as habits of thrift, perseverance and fortitude always do when properly directed.
Mr. Rothenberger was born on the old family homestead in Madison township, Clinton county, July 27, 1865. He is a son of Christian ROTHENBERGER, a native of Pennsylvania, and he a son of Peter Rothenberger. The mother of our subject was known in her maidenhood as Marietta LEIBENGUTH, and to these parents ten children were born.
Christian ROTHENBERGER came to Clinton county in 1848, locating in Madison township, where the family has remained to the present time. He was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, April 21, 1824. He is a son of George and Sarah (MENTRY) ROTHENBERGER. October 14, 1852, he married Marriett LEIBENGUTH, daughter of Peter and Hannah (APP) LEIBENGUTH. She was born December 3, 1831, in Northampton county, Pennsylvania. The following children were born to Christian Rothenberger and wife: Frank P., Josiah, Flora E., Peter, Lydia M., Perry A., Lewis, Ida A., Sarah H. and Mary J. The father of these children was without means when he came to Clinton county, but he worked hard, saved his earnings and in a few years had a good start and finally became one of the leading farmers and stock raisers in his locality. Politically he was a Democrat, and religiously a Lutheran. For recreation he engaged in fishing, often making large catches. His death occurred in 1900 at an advanced age, he having been born in 1824.
Perry ROTHENBERGER grew to manhood on the home farm and was educated in the common schools. On December 25, 1887, he married Ella a. PETER, who was born on the old home place in Clinton county and here she was reared and educated. She is a daughter of Franklin and Eliza (BRYAN) PETER, and was one of four children, namely Mrs. Emily F. GABLE, Mrs. Marcella ROTHENBERGER, Ella A., who married our subject, and Anise W., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work, which contains a fuller history of the Peter family.
Perry A. Rothenberger has devoted his life to general farming and has been very successful. He is now owner of beautiful Sunny Slope, a farm of one hundred and sixty acres well located in Madison township, and well improved. He has a substantial group of buildings, and in connection with general farming he keeps large numbers of a splendid grade of livestock. He feeds cattle and hogs for the market. He first purchased and inherited eighty acres, and, prospering through hard work and good management, was able in a few years to add another eighty, thus making him an ideal farm, which at this time is worth about twenty thousand dollars.
To Mr. and Mrs. Rothenberger two children have been born, namely: Mrs. Edith A. RITENOUR, of Lafayette, and Ralph W., who is assisting his father operate the home farm.
Mr. Rothenberger is an active member of the Lutheran church, of which he has been a deacon for a period of eighteen years, and he has been Sunday school suprintendent (sic) for several years. His wife and family are also members of this church.
"Ephraim Rothenberger was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, October 24, 1829. He came to Indiana in 1853 in company with the Fretz and Foster families, the trip having been made overland, the party walking almost the entire way. Settlement was at first made near Monitor later on Mr. Rothenberger moved to the farm east of Mulberry, where he lived until retiring to the home here in town.
"Mr. ROTHENBERGER was married to Elizabeth SLAGLE on March 11, 1856, by Squire John CLENDENNING. This union was blessed with the following children: Marietta (Mrs. William BALSER), Susan, Elias, Simon J., Elizabeth (Mrs. Frank STINESPRING), James (deceased), Alice (Mrs. Ed MARTZ), Ida (Mrs. Clint HART, deceased), Sarah (Mrs. Albert MILLER), Minnie (Mrs. Thomas WALDRON). Mother Rothenberger died July 15, 1893, and Father Rothenberger died March 2, 1911." Pages 787 789. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
To a great extent the prosperity of the agricultural sections of our great country is due to the honest industry, the sturdy perseverance and the wise economy which so prominently characterizes the foreign element, both those who have come direct from the European nations and their American born children, this being especially true of those of German blood. All will agree, after so much as a mere cursory glance over our forty-eight states, that these people have entered very largely into our population. By comparison with their old country" surroundings they leave readily recognized the fact that in the United States lie the greatest opportunities for the man of ambition and energy. And because of this many have broken the ties of home and native land and have entered earnestly upon the task of gaining in the new world a home and a competence. Among this class were the ancestors of Peter Rothenberger, one of the most substantial citizens and progressive agriculturists of Madison township, Clinton county, although he himself was born in America, thus has avoided many of the trials of his forebears in getting a foothold in a land where the customs and language are strange. He seems to have inherited many of the thrifty and sterling traits of his father and grandfather and has forged to the front in the face, not infrequently, of obstacles of so huge proportions as to have entirely broken the spirit of men of less sterner fiber. His life history might be studied and emulated with profit by the youth of this county who are ambitious to make good, successful citizens.
Mr. Rothenberger was born on the old homestead in Clinton county, Indiana, August 12, 1860, near the town of Mulberry. He is a son of Christian ROTHENBERGER, also born in the old Keystone state, of a worthy German family. The father of our subject grew up in his native community, and when a young man he came to Clinton county, Indiana, making the long journey on horseback, bringing two other horses with him. Here he purchased land, which he developed by his thrift into a good farm, and here he married Mary E. LIVENGOOD, a daughter of Peter LIVENGOOD, an early pioneer, he having located here in 1836. His family consisted of ten children, an equal number of sons and daughters, namely: Frank P., Josiah, Flora, Peter, Malinda, Perry A., Lewis, and Alma. The death of the father occurred at the age of seventy-five years. His widow survives at the advanced age of eighty-three years. She lives in Mulberry, and is beloved by all who know her, having always been noted for her fine Christian character. She talks most interestingly of the early days. She has lived to see the log cabins of the pioneers replaced by modern dwellings and the great woods give way to well improved farms, and the automobile take the place of the ox cart. She has lived to see her children prosperous and respected by all who know them.
Peter ROTHENBERGER grew to manhood on the farm where he worked when a boy and he received a common school education. On October 18, 1883, he married Marcella PETER, who was born in Madison township, where she was reared and educated. She was a daughter of Franklin PETER, who was born in Pennsylvania and who died in 1889 at the age of sixty years. The mother's death occurred at the age of seventy-four years. They were an early family of this township. They were the parents of the following living children: Mrs. Emily F. GABLE, Marcella, wife of our subject; Ella, is the wife of Perry A. ROTHENBERGER; Anise W. lives on the homestead.
Five children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: Clarence, married Susan HURST and is engaged in farming; Ada, married C. MARTIN and they live in Madison township; Orvill, married Maude GLICK; Ina is the wife of John ENGLE, Bessie is the wife of S. O. BRAND. These children were all given good educations, are well situated in life and are well thought of by their friends and acquaintances.
Peter Rothenberger has devoted his life to farming and stock raising on a large scale. He now owns three fine farms, his home place consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, and his two other excellent places, all in Clinton county, bring the total up to three hundred and forty acres. His land is well improved, has been brought up to a high state of productiveness and is among the most valuable in the county. He is one of the best judges of livestock in the county, and no small part of his handsome competency has been derived in the judicious handling of livestock. He has a large, well furnished and attractive home and numerous substantial outbuildings. Politically he is a Democrat and in religious matters belongs to the Lutheran church, to which his family also belong. He is highly esteemed by all for his honesty. Pages 780 - 782 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
ROUSH, William J.
WILLIAM J. ROUSH, famous as a caterer of Frankfort, Ind., is a native of Clinton county and was born in Cyclone, Jackson township, January 30, 1866, a son of John J. and Rachael (COOK) ROUSH. The father, John J., was born in Milwaukee, Wis., January 3, 1842, and came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1863, began farming, but soon entered the Eighty-sixth Indiana volunteer infantry, gallantly served through the Atlanta campaign, was wounded in the right leg, returned home at the close of hostilities, resumed farming, and died January 29, 1879. His wife, daughter of William and Catherine COOK, natives of Indiana, survived until March 16, 1874, and was the mother of six children: William J., Frank, David, Milton, Frederick (deceased) and Oscar (deceased). The parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and the father was a Freemason and a republican.
William J. ROUSH, at the death of his father, went to live with an uncle, Seth A. COOK, who was in the restaurant and bakery business, and with him remained until 1885, when he accepted a position with Kempf Brothers, bakers and confectioners, of Frankfort, as general assistant in 1889, in company with O. C. PARSONS he engaged in the restaurant business in the same city; in 1890, Mr. Parsons withdrew from the firm, which became known as Roush & THOMPSON, and so remained until 1891, when Howard AMICK succeeded Mr. Thompson; in 1892 Charles MECUM succeeded Mr. Amick, and the entire business was sold to Mr. Mecum. Mr. Roush then resumed his old position with Kempf Brothers, with whom he still remains, filling the position with the same affability and popularity as of yore.
The marriage of Mr. ROUSH took place at Frankfort, October 8, 1889, with Miss Della WINTERS, daughter of William J. and Hannah (Helvie) Winters, natives of Indiana and of German extraction. To Mr. Roush and his amiable lady has been born one child-Paul Charles. Mrs. Roush is a devoted member of the Christian church; Mr. Roush is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men, is a Knight of Pythias, and in politics is a republican, and both are admired for their congenial and obliging dispositions. Pages 850-851
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.