S - St
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
SCROGGY, James Edward
JAMES EDWARD SCROGGY, a young but successful business man of Frankfort, Ind., and the founder of the J. E. Scroggy Manufacturing company, was born on a farm just north of Frankfort, September 14, 1862, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (ABBOTT) SCROGGY. He gained a very fair common school education, which was supplemented by two years attendance at an academy in Stockwell, Ind. At about the age of sixteen he entered the dry goods store of J. H. Barner & Co., of Frankfort as clerk, and eighteen months later accepted a position as clerk in the clothing house of J. W. Coulter. Three years later he went to Chicago, where he was employed as a wholesale cutlery house as traveling salesman for nine months; next he traveled for six years for the wholesale boot and shoe house of Fuller, Childs & Co., of Toledo, Ohio, and later in the same line for a prominent Chicago firm. In January, 1892, he returned to Frankfort, Ind., and associated himself with J. A. Hedgcock in the manufacture of children's shoes. In 1893, the J. E. Scroggy Manufacturing company was started for the production of that class of children's shoes known as "cacks," and ladies' and gents' over-gaiters. The display of "cacks" made by this company at the World's fair was unexcelled and was awarded the medal of superiority. In July, 1894, the increasing business of the company compelled a removal to enlarged quarters on west Washington Street, where Mr. Scroggy personally oversees the practical operations of its affairs.
In 1883, Mr. Scroggy was married to Miss Lulu PENCE, of Clinton county, and this happy union has been favored by the birth of two children-Marie and Greta. Mr. Scroggy is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Improved Order of Red Men, and the social position of himself and wife is one that might well be envied by any resident of Frankfort. Page 852
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
SEAWRIGHT, Samuel Ramsey SENSE, Harry C. SHAW, Monroe C.
SHEARER, John A.
SHEETS, John SHEETS, Philip M. SHEETS, Santford SHEETS, Zimri Elisha
SHERIDAN, Harry C. SHOCKLEY, John C. SHOEMAKER, Jacob SIMS, James M. Source I: A
Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties,
Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent
and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and
Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and
Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W.
Bowen & Co. in Chicago. Source
II : History of Clinton County, Indiana
With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and
Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph
Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company
Indianapolis, Indiana © Connie Rushing 1998/2000 © Chris Brown 1998/2000 Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by
individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on
all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of
Seawright, James A.
A record of the Searight family.
Uniontown, Pa.: unknown, 1893, p. 64.
Samuel Ramsey SEAWRIGHT, eldest child of William and Jean (Ramsey) Seawright, was born near Carlisle, PA Feb 23, 1785 and resided with his grandfather, Samuel Ramsey until 16. He then joined his father and learned the fulling business after which he settled on a Clarion River farm, which he left in 1811 to go west. He built a flat boat and floated down the Conemaugh and Allegheny Rivers and then down the Ohio to Cincinnati where he landed and proceeded with his family to Dick's Creek on which he built a fulling mill. 12 years later he removed to Butler Co OH which he left in 1830 to permanently settle on the middle fork of Wild Cat Creek, near the present site of Rossville, Clinton Co IN where he died Aug 3, 1840. Samuel Ramsey Seawright was a man of sterling integrity and unbounded generosity and was largely instrumental in moulding the character of his community. He and his wife founded the Middle Fork Presbyterian Church and donated the ground for the first school in Ross Twp, Clinton Co IN.
Mr. Seawright, in 1805 married Mary Ann WILSON who was a daughter of Robert Wilson of Armstrong Co, PA. She was born Jan 18, 1784 and died at Lafayette, IN Aug 14, 1871. They were parents of 12 children:
2) Honorable Wilson;
12) Eliza and
13) Margaret Anne. (says 12 but 13 named).
1) Wm. Seawright, was born April 25, 1860 (sic-- this is obviously incorrect if he died in 1846 and his wife was born in 1816) and learned carding and fulling which he left to successively follow farming and merchandising in Rossville, IN. He was a Presbyterian, served with ability as treas. of his county and died at Frankfort April 22, 1846 (sic). He was twice married, first to Mary Anne Logan of KY who was accidentally killed; and afterwards on April 14, 1835 to Isabella Stockton daughter of John and Jane (Byers) Stockton and who was born Nov 12, 1816 in Ross Co Oh.
By his second marriage he had 5 children: Rev. Samuel Ramsey; James Alexander; John Perry; Nancy Anne and William. Rev. Samuel Ramsey Seawright born Nov 30, 1836 died Nov 16 1890 was married on Feb 23, 1863 to Mary J. Harbison of Indianapolis, In and has 3 children: Wm. H, born Feb 3, 1865 died June 21, 1866; Willis Lord Nov 15 1867 and Mary Jewell Oct 28, 1877. James Alexander Seawright was born Dec 12, 1838 .
2) Honorable Wilson, born Sept 29, 1807 in Westmoreland Co PA died at Frankfort IN Oct 21, 1885. He was a carder and fuller by trade and resided successively at Crawfordsville and Frankfort, IN. He was a factory owner and operator for several years then followed merchandising and later in life purchased a farm near Frankfort which he sold some years before his death. A useful citizen an active business man and efficient public official, his life was one of usefulness and honor. Mr. Seawright married Martha Black Mitchell, who was a daughter of Samuel and Hope (Bishop) Mitchell of Clinton CO IN and was born Jan 25, 1815. Mr. Seawright died Aug 9, 1893. 9 children: Mary Jane born May 18, 1836; Margaret H. Aug 3, 1838; Harriet Elizabeth March 29, 1841; Samuel Ramsey Jan 1, 1845; William Wilson Nov 11, 1847; Martha Esther Nov 2, 1851; Mary Anne June 15, 1853; Eliza Frances Oct 28, 1855 and Anne Bell July 15, 1859. Margaret H. Seawright on July 13, 1858 married Alfred N. Snoddy, MD who is a son of William J. Snoddy and was born April 21, 1834 in Butler Co OH.
Contributed by: Karen Zach
Added: 25 June 2016
Harry C. SENSE -- The well known contractor and progressive business man whose name introduces this biographical review and who has for many years been one of the leading representatives of the building trades in Tippecanoe County is a descendant of an old and highly honored family, members of which have figured effectively in the affairs of norther Indiana snice the pioneer days, Harry C. Sense was born in Clinton County, Indiana July 16, 1866. He is the son of William H. and Susan (Guthrie) Sense, former a native of TIppecanoe County, latter was born in Clinton Co. They were the parents of 11 children (living), one daughter dying in infancy, the family consisting of 6 sons and 5 daughters. Elmer F, the oldest son was born in Clinton Co Ind he married Eva Harvey of Wabash Twp and they are the parents of one son, Floyd. John E married Lula Carnes of Lafayette and they are the parents of two sons, Glen and Paul. Clarence married Elda Garman of Mulberry, this county. Harvey G. married Anna Jacoby of CLinton County and are parents of one son, Clifford. Ottis G., married Miss Casman, of Lafayette and they have two sons. The daughters of William H. and Susan Sense are Dora A married Charles Wakeman and reside in Millersburg, Indiana; Ella married Henry haag and reside in West Lafayette; Ada B. married TW Lugar and reside in West Lafayette; Jessie married Robert Foster of West Lafayette. Ida at home. Harry C. Sense spent his early life at home and received a fairly good common school education. Early in 1891 he married Emma V. Glick who lived near Mulberry Indiana wehre her family was long well established. This union has resulted in the birth of two daughters, Hazel C and Fairy C also one son, Harlan Ray. Mr. Sense early in life decided to become a carpenter and builder by trade and he set to work to learn the same, with the result that he has become one of the most skillfull workmen in this locality. Two of his brothers, who became stone masons, and one who learned carpentry, worked with him in partnership and they incorporated for the purpose of contracting and manufacturing in 1904 under the firm name of Sense brothers Company and ever since they have grown in the volume of business they carry on until this is one of the important firms of Tippecanoe County, doing an extensive business throughout this and adjoining counties. About 1906 they began the maunfacture of cement blocks. In the fall of that year and spring of 1907 they added a planing mill and lumber yard and in 1909 another department was added - tin & galvanized iron. Their business in all these departments has steadily grown and the future outlook for the firm is decidedly encouraging. They have handled some large jobs and their work has always been eminently satisfactory; owing to their skill and the high grade material they use, together with their strict honesty in dealing with the public. Members of this family all grew up in Tippecanoe County and the brothers began making preparation to learn useful trades and while working on the farm which their father rented they often discussed the various phases of the building trades. This farm was located in Perry Twp, near Monitor. Their father, William H. Sense started a tile factory about 1881 or 1882 on the farm which he worked, but he sold the tile factory about 1883 and moved to Wabash Twp, north of Octagon, buying a tile factory there which he managed successfully for 4-5 years, then sold it and purchased a farm in the same township. Then Harry C. Sense went to Mulberry and began learning the carpenter trade. After working at this trade for two years he began contracting in a small way and, seeking a larger field for his operations, he came to Lafayette, where he has since continued with unabated success. Mr. Sense is is a man of excellent business ability, exercising rare soundness of judgment and foresight and the fact that he has built up an extensive and well patronized business from a very small beginning is evidence of his industry and integrity.
Source: Past and present of Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: B.F. Bowen & Co., 1909, p 704
Transcribed by Karen Zach
Monroe C. Shaw was born in Clinton county, July 22, 1872, and died September 24, 1911. His life occupation was that of a farmer, his homestead consisting of ninety-five acres, all tillable except ten acres of woodland. A feature of the Shaw farm is that all its improvements were built by the owner. Besides tilling the soil, Mr. Shaw made of his place one of the finest stock farms in the state. Here he raised principally Shorthorn cattle, fine breeds of hogs and general purpose horses. His reputation as a stock raiser was not confined to Indiana, but extended throughout Ohio and Illinois. The Shaw farm is one of the well known and attractive centers of Clinton county, people going there from near and far for the purchase of blooded horses, cattle and hogs. It has contributed very largely to the fame of Clinton county and the state of Indiana as suitable regions for raising stock of the first quality.
The subject of this sketch was the son of James C. and Margaret (FRITZ) SHAW. His father was born near Rockford, Surry County, N. C., Jan. 31, 1828, and died at his home near Russiaville, Ind., April 8, 1901, aged 72 years. The mother of Mr. Shaw was born near Westmoreland, Somerset County, Pa., Aug. 12, 1838, and died near Russiaville, Ind., in March, 1906. She was a devoted wife and mother and active member of the Baptist church. She was united in marriage October 10, 1865, to James C. SHAW, who was then at home after three years service in the civil war. This was Mr. Shaw 's second marriage. To him and his first wife were born five children, as follows: William, John, Joseph, James and Catherine, and the children born of the second marriage were Christian, Monroe C., Howard, Maggie and Letitia.
March 8, 1896, Monroe C. Shaw married Rosa H. BRYAN, who was born in Warsaw, Indiana, June 20, 1873, the daughter of James and Barbara (BREEDING) BRYAN. To them have been born three children, two of whom are living: Irene V., born December 1, 1896 and Beulah Lorea, born December 25, 1907. Mrs. Shaw's father was a farmer and served in the 47th Ohio Infantry one year. She is the youngest of a family of six children, five of whom are living. The names of the others are Peter J., Lester J., Acy A., James and Catherine (dec.) Her mother was born in Virginia January 1, 1838, and died July 16, 1901.
Monroe C. Shaw affiliated with the Baptist church and was a Republican in politics. It may be truly said of him that he lived and died in the realization of the Christian faith that lifts men above the friction of life and provides them a sphere of congenial and happy activity. In politics Mr. Shaw was no less ardent and active than in the discharge of his religious duties. To him the Republican party was something of idealism, and he referred to its achievements in the cause of constitutional government and the liberty of the people with the utmost reference and enthusiasm. Fidelity was a very marked trait with him. He was a true man in all the relations of life. Pages 553 & 554 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
JOHN A. SHERER, a thrifty farmer of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., is of German descent. His grandfather, Abraham Shearer, was a farmer of Pennsylvania, and died in that state. Hugh Shearer, son of Abraham and father of John A., was born in Pennsylvania, July 24, 1824. He left his native state in company with his mother and elder brother, and located in Ohio, where he remained until he was twenty-six years old, when he came to Indiana and stopped, as occasion required, in Howard, Tipton and Clinton counties, finally settling in Clinton county and engaging in farming, merchandising and saw-milling. He married Sarah A. SHEPHERD, daughter of John and Eliza Shepherd. Mr. Shearer and wife were both members of the Methodist church in which he was a class leader. He was also a Freemason, and with two other men founded Hillisburg lodge, No. 550, of which he was the first worshipful master. John A. Shearer was born in Darke county, Ohio, February 1, 1852. He received a good common school education, is still a wide reader of current literature, and owns a library of 1,500 to 2,900 volumes. He is a republican in politics and in religion a Spiritualist. He married Mary R. TULL, daughter of Newton and Delia (GANO) TULL, and to this union have been born Hugh N., Geneva E., Podge L. (deceased) and John O. (deceased). Hugh N. Shearer is well educated, and is preparing himself for a teacher. Mr. Shearer has passed all the chairs in the blue lodge, F. & A. M., No. 550, at Hillisburg. His farm comprises ninety-seven and a half acres of fertile land, and is improved with a modern dwelling and new barn. Page 853. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
In Owen township, Clinton county, lives John Sheets, another of the old soldiers whom it is a delight to honor. They are getting fewer and fewer in numbers and their march is not as quick and full of meaning and fire as it was fifty years ago, when they were fighting for the perpetuity of the Union. But it thrills one to see them in their old uniforms, with their tattered flags flying and their forms bent as they hobble along on their canes at reunions, or on Memorial Day or on the Fourth of July. And how interesting it is to hear them tell the story of the dreadful hardships they endured in the hospitals or on the harassing marches, or in the battles and skirmishes, or in the prison hells of the Southern Confederacy. But their time is short now, so all persons should join in honoring them for the sacrifices they made when they were young and full of the love of life, but which was offered free on the altar of their country.
John Sheets was born August 13, 1842, in Union township, Clinton county. He is a son of Samuel and Catherine (SHAFFER) SHEETS, who came to this section of the Hoosier state when it was a wild stretch of forest and unknown to the world in general, or at least very little known, and here established the future home of the family. The father of our subject was born in Virginia, as was also the mother, and there they grew to maturity and were married. Subsequently they removed to Clinton county, where they spent the rest of their lives. Both have long been deceased, the mother dying November 20, 1877. The elder Sheets was a German and he could not read English. He devoted his life to farming, was first a Democrat and later a Republican. His family consisted of eleven children, three of whom are still living, namely: John, of this sketch; Andrew, and Mrs. Rebecca RYAN.
John Sheets grew to manhood on the home farm and he received a common school education. On August 20, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Seventy-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Collins, and later he served under Captains Brown and Mclntire. He spent three years in the army and took part in some of the fiercest engagements of the war, including Hoover's Gap, Chattanooga, and the many battles in the memorable siege of Atlanta, but was not under Sherman. He went back with General Thomas to Nashville. He proved to be a most faithful soldier for the Union, and was honorably discharged July 6, 1865.
After his return home from the army Mr. Sheets resumed farming, which he has followed ever since. He owns a valuable place in Owen township, consisting of eleven acres, all tillable but two acres, and it has been well unproved. He built his own home. He makes a specialty of raising Shorthorn cattle and Chester White hogs.
Mr. SHEETS was married April 13, 1866, to Lovina E. HARRIS, who was born in Wayne county, Indiana, April 6, 1843. She is a daughter of Jonas and Isabelle (HORSMAN) HARRIS. The father was born December 23, 1815.
Nine children have been born to our subject and wife: Edward, born March 21, 1867, Newton, January 13, 1869; Albert, November 24, 1870; Oscar, November 8, 1872: Oliver C., October 27, 1874; Nancy, September 9, 1876: Belle, November 12, 1878, Amanda, July 4, 1880, John B., December 22, 1884. They are all living and well situated in life.
Mr. Sheets is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Also a member of the Masons and G. A. R. He is a Republican in politics. Pages 618 619. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
The true measure of individual success is determined by what one has accomplished, and, contrary to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, a particular interest attaches to the career of Philip M. Sheets, farmer and musician of Warren township, Clinton county Besides being a worthy scion of one of our sterling pioneer families, he is a native of this locality, where his entire life has been spent, and he has so directed his abilities and efforts as to gain recognition as one of the representative citizens of the county.
Mr. Sheets was born here on December 17, 1867. He is a son of David and Nancy E. (THOMPSON) SHEETS. The father was born August 20, 1829, in Augusta county, Virginia, and his death occurred in 1911 at the advanced age of eighty-two years. The mother of our subject was born in Ohio, and she too lived to an advanced age, dying in November, 1909. She was a well-educated woman and taught school for some time in her earlier years. David Sheets devoted his life to general farming and to carpentering. His family consisted of nine children, namely: John C., James H., Perry M., Zimri E., Mary M., Albert W., Elmer E., Philip M., and Wilda M.
Philip M. Sheets grew to manhood on the home farm and he received a common school education. On March 13, 1890, he married Emma F. CRUM, who was born in Putnam county, Indiana, March 13, 187I, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (KROPFF) CRUM, both natives of Virginia. Mr. Crum, who died August 28, 1913, was a soldier in the Confederate army. His wife is deceased.
To our subject and wife eight children have been born, namely: Frank O., born October 13, 1890, a member of the Beard band, playing second cornet on which he is quite proficient: Larnie A., born August 9 1892, also a member of the Beard band, performing exceptionally well on the bass horn or tuba; Perry O., born August 18, 1894, plays the slide trombone in the Beard band, and equally gifted with his brothers; Alta E., born July 29, 1896; Tola R., born December 17, 1898; Virgil R., bron (sic) April 14, 1902; Boyce E., born December 7, 1905; Gail S., born January 26, 1907.
Mr. Sheets has already engaged in farming in Warren township. He owns a good farm of seventy-five acres, lacking a fraction, and has a well improved place in every respect, especially as to tiling. He has a substantial and attractive home which he built himself. He handles a good many head of live stock of various kinds from year to year, a mixed breed of cattle, Chester White hogs, and draft horses.
Mr. Sheets is by nature a gifted musician and he has found time to cultivate his taste in this direction, especially as to band music. He is president and manager of the Beard band, one of the best in Clinton county. Ira SKIDMORE is director of the same. The services of this band are very frequently required throughout the county at various gatherings. It was organized in 1909. It is composed of sixteen pieces. Mr. Sheets is bass drummer.
Our subject is a member of the Methodist Protestant church, and he is a Republican in politics. Pages 632 633. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
It is a good sign when so many of the residents of a county are found to have been born within its borders. It indicates that they have found right at home all the opportunities necessary for the gratifications of their ambitions in a business, political and social way, and it also indicates stability. One is reminded that "A rolling stone gathers no moss. That young man is the wisest who, when conditions will permit, remains in his native locality and addresses himself to the improvement of conditions he finds there and to his personal advancement along such lines as he may choose, selecting that for which he is best fitted by nature.
Santford Sheets, farmer of Warren township, Clinton county, was born here October 8, 1855, and he has remained here and become a successful and good citizen. He is the son of Jacob and Delilah (HUFFER) SHEETS. The father was born in Augusta county, Virginia, March 20, 1830. He was five years old when his parents removed from the Old Dominion and located in Frankfort, Clinton county, and here he grew to manhood, received his education and spent the rest of his life in agricultural pursuits. His education was limited. He purchased eighty acres of land in Warren township, for which he paid two hundred and fifty dollars which he had earned by working at twenty-five and fifty cents per day. He cleared ten acres, to fence which he carried rails on his back. He continued to work hard, the years brought success, and he became very comfortably established.
Politically he was first a Whig. He enlisted for service in the Civil War, in 1862, but served only six months when he became ill and was discharged for disability. He returned from the war a Democrat. He reached the advanced age of eighty-three years, dying on March 6, 1913. The mother of our subject, who is still living on the old home place here, being now advanced in years, was born in Augusta county, Virginia, November 16, 1835. Her parents were early settlers of Clinton county.
Seven children were born to Jacob Sheets and wife: Henry, Santford, of this sketch; Milton, Noah, Elizabeth and Ida M., all four deceased, and Adam.
Santford SHEETS grew to manhood on the home farm and he received a common school education, rather limited. On October 30, 1879, he married Priscilla BEARD who was born in Clinton county, October 10, 1857, and here she was reared to womanhood and received a common school education. She is a daughter of Martin and Delilah (ORBS) BEARD, both parents being now deceased.
To our subject and wife ten children were born: Oden, born December 14, 1880, married Ola HAM; Roy, born October 16, 1882, married Goldie ARMSTRONG; Maud, born in 1884, Russell, born September 20, 1886, married Nellie E. Wilson; Blanch, born December 30, 1888, Grace, born April 25, 1890; Claude, born January 17, 1894; Fay, born 1896; Cleo, born April 29, 1899, and Leona, born December 23, 1903.
Mr. Sheets has always farmed and has always made his home in his native township. He is now owner of a valuable and well improved place of two hundred and sixty acres on which he carries on general farming and stock raising on an extensive scale. Forty acres of this place lies in Michigan township, the rest in Warren township. It is all tillable except about sixty-five acres. He built his own home which is on an equality with the best in the township and he has other good buildings on the place. He raises a general breed of live stock in large numbers.
Politically, Mr. Sheets is a Republican and has been more or less active in local party affairs. In 1912 he made the race for treasurer, but was defeated in the landslide. He belongs to the Masonic order at Beard, and he is a member of the Methodist Protestant church. Pages 614 615 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
The gentleman whose name appears above is a representative of an honored pioneer family of Clinton county, so that a consideration of his genealogical and personal history becomes doubly interesting and doubly appropriate in connection with the prescribed province of this publication. Mr. Sheets is one of the most prominent farmers of Owen township, having a finely improved landed estate on which he is carrying forward his operations with that energy, foresight and careful discrimination which ever betoken the appreciative and model yeoman.
The subject of this text, Zimri Elisha Sheets, as aforesaid, can trace his lineage back to his great grandfather and great grandmother, and as the Sheets family are very prominent in Clinton county and have been for years and have been identified in developing this county, we are glad to say that Mr. Zimri Sheets has been able to furnish the names of his great grandfather and great grandmother, as well as his grandfather and his grandmother and his father and mother, in the order namely to-wit: On his father's side. his great-grandfather, Jacob Sheets, who married Barbara LINDAMUDE, and who lived and died in Augusta county, Virginia. The great grandmother after the death of her husband came to Clinton county with her son Joseph, died here and is buried in the old south graveyard near Frankfort. His grandfather Phillip SHEETS was born in 1801, Augusta county, Virginia. He married Mary SHAFER. They moved to this county in 1836, residing here in Frankfort a short time and then moved to Warren township. He died in this county in 1873, aged 71 years. David Sheets, his father was born in Augusta county, Virginia, August 30, 1828 and died in this county April 18, 1911. The mother, Nancy E. (THOMPSON) SHEETS born in Preble county, Ohio, April 27, 1830. She died in this county November 30, 1909. On his mother's side: His great Grandfather, Robert THOMPSON was born in North Carolina and married Nancy BROWN. Moved to Preble county, Ohio, and later moved to Illinois and there died. His grandfather, Dennis THOMPSON married Mary THOMPSON, daughter of Robert Thompson but of no kin. They died in Preble county, Ohio.
Nine children were born to David Sheets and wife, eight sons and one daughter, all of whom are still living, at this time, named as follows: John C., James H., Perry Zimri E., of this sketch; Mary M. HAGGERTY; Albert W., Elmer E., Philip m., and Wilda M.
Zimri E. Sheets grew to manhood on the home farm, performing the usual work of country boys of his time, and he received his education in the common schools. On July 24, 1880 he married Amanda J. UNGER, who was a cousin of M. V. DAVID, John CLINT, and other subjects of this volume, in which mention is made of the UNGER ancestry. Mrs. SHEETS was born in Owen township, Clinton county, and grew to womanhood in her native community and received a common school education. She has borne her husband one child, Walter L. SHEETS, whose birth occurred September 29, 1882. He grew up on the home farm and was given good educational advantages. He married Nellie M. DAVIS, who was born in Carroll county, Ind., July 25, 1886, and they have one child, Edith May Sheets, who was born September 16, 1907.
Zimri E. Sheets began farming for himself early in life and this has continued to be his vocation. In 1882 he moved from Warren to Owen township where he has since resided. He has prospered with advancing years through hard work and good management, and is now owner of two hundred and eighty-six acres of valuable, well improved and productive land, one of the finest farms in the township on which he carries on general farming and stock raising on an extensive scale. His land is all tillable but thirty-two acres which is good timber land. He now lives on the "rabbit-track" road one-half mile west of Moran and one mile north of Moran. In 1910, he built a modern, commodious and attractive county home across the road from where he first lived, which is one of the most up-to-date residences in the township. It was constructed of cement blocks, is sanitary in every respect, has a heating plant and actylene lights. He also has a garage and owns a modern, standard make five-passenger automobile. He has long been an extensive handler of all kinds of livestock and buys and feeds cattle in large numbers. He specializes in Poland-China hogs. His farm bears the name of Zimri E. Sheets' Farm.
Politically, Mr. Sheets is a Republican and has been faithful in his support of the party. He was elected county commissioner in 1888, serving one term with which credit and satisfaction.
Mr. Sheets had six uncles in the civil war, namely: Jacob, James and Isaac SHEETS and Isaac, Zimri and Elisha THOMPSON. Page 816 -818
Transcribed by Connie
HARRY C. SHERIDAN, an accomplished attorney at law, at Frankfort, Ind., was born in Owen township, Clinton county, December 15, 1858, and is the son of David F. and Mahala (WIDENER) SHERIDAN. David F. Sheridan , the respected father, was a native of Butler county, Ohio, born in 1832, and was a son of Andrew Sheridan , who was born Pennsylvania, of Irish extraction. Andrew Sheridan was a saddler by trade, and this vocation he followed in Ohio until 1836, when he located in Madison township, Clinton county, Ind., and followed his trade at Hamilton until 1838, when he removed to Frankfort, made a short sojourn, and finally settled down to farming in Owen township, and passed his days in comparative ease until his death, in 1854, at which time he was possessor of 24 acres of fertile land. His faithful wife, Jemima PERINE, whom he had married in Butler county, Ohio, survived until 1873, when she was called away in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, having borne her husband ten children, viz.: John, Frederick, Andrew J., James, David F., William A., Catherine, Mary, Margaret and Sarah. The third child here enumerated, David F., the father of Harry C., on attaining his majority, had finished an apprenticeship at the plasterer's trade, which he ever after followed, in conjunction with farming, until his death, which occurred February 27, 1888. He was twice married, and had born to him by his first union one child, now deceased. His second marriage took place in Tippecanoe county, Ind., in 1857, with Mahala WIDENER, who was born in Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind., and by this union were born the following children: Harry C., the subject of this mention; Squire, Elmer E., Lillie, Kate, Jennie and Julia (twins), and Belle.
Harry C. Sheridan was reared in Owen township, Clinton county, Ind., until the age of eighteen, receiving a fair education in the district school; he then entered the Col!egiate institute at Battle Ground, Ind., where he passed two years in diligent study, and then came to Frankfort; in 1879 began teaching in the district schools of Jackson township, and for three years met with abundant success. In the fall of 1881 he began a three years' course of study in law under Judge Palmer, was admitted to the bar April 4, 1882, and in the spring of 1883 began the regular practice of his profession. July 1, 1883, he formed a partnership at Frankfort with Judge B. K. Higinbottom, eminent at the time for his legal attainments, and this connection was continued for one year; following this, one year was passed in partnership with Judge J. G. Adams, and the next year with J. W. Merritt, since which time Mr. Sheridan has been in practice alone, gaining clients and adding to his reputation as the time passed on. From September, 1884, until September, 1886, he served as city clerk. Mr. Sheridan was most happily married, September 8, 1886, in Camden, Carroll county, Ind., to Miss Margaret Espy Vinnedge, who was born in Indianapolis, November 5, 1863, and who is the daughter of John A. and Ellen (ESPY) VINNEDGE, natives, respectively of Ohio and Indiana. To this union two children have been born and are named Lawrence Vinnege, born July 8, 1887, and Marjorie Ellen, June 29, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Sheridan are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics he is a republican. Fraternally he is a Mason, a Knight of Pythias and a Knight Templar. As a lawyer, few hold a higher rank than Mr. Sheridan, and he and family socially enjoy the respect of the citizens of Frankfort to the fullest extent. pp. 853 -854. Source I
Transcribed by Connie
In the list of honored and successful citizens of Clinton county is the subject of this review, who has here maintained his residence for nearly a half century, winning a definite and lasting success by means of the agricultural industry, to which he has devoted his undivided attention during the years of his active business life. His career has been without shadow of suspicion and his many friends and acquaintances will attest to his integrity in business dealings, and the magnetic personality which has won the esteem of his fellowman.
Mr. Shockley was born September 8, 1862, in Tipton county, Indiana.and moved with his parents in 1864 to Clinton county, where he now lives, forty rods from the county line. He was the son of Daniel B. and Jemima (McINTIRE) SHOCKLEY. The father was born in Madison county, O., and moved to Tipton county, this state, after his marriage. He followed farming all of his life, he passed from active to retired life at an old age, and now lives to enjoy the fruits of a life well spent. The mother was born in the same county and state as her husband. Both of them were handicapped in the matter of education, because in their days schools were scarce and what there were could not be called efficient. Six children were born to them: A. J., James A. (dec.), John C., our subject; Arsitta, Sarah F., and G. W.
All the education our subject was able to get was in the county schools near Kempton, Tipton county. His life resolved itself shortly after leaving school into that of an agriculturist. His hundred and seventy acres of land here in Sugar Creek township are all tillable and well tilled, and the home built by Mr. Shockley himself. is one of the best in the township. In addition to general farming he carries on the breeding of all kinds of fine stock. Mr. Shockley also has two hundred and sixty-four acres in Tipton county, all tillable, south of Kempton, Ind.
Mr. Shockley was married on November 11, 1882, to Mary D. RECTOR, who was born in 1861 in Sugar Creek township, the daughter of Robert and Mary (SEARCY) RECTOR. Her father was a native of Indiana, and the mother came from the state of Kentucky. Seven children were born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Shockley; 0. W., Opal, Nellie, Fay and Ray, twins, and Cecil.
Fraternally, Mr. Shockley belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, lodge at Kempton. Religiously, he attends the Christian church. and politically believes in the Democratic platform. Pages 579 580. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
If one wants to get an idea of how twentieth century farming is now successfully carried on in Forest township, Clinton county, one could do no better than to visit the well kept and well tilled farm of Jacob Shoemaker, for he is a methodical, studious, persistent worker, believing in making the soil produce as much as it will without leaving the same depleted or robbing it of its natural elements, yet he makes everything count that he turns his attention to, and it is no wonder that he has succeeded admirably at his chosen vocation.
Mr. Shoemaker was born in the above named township and county on February 15, 18522, and he has been contented to spend his life right here in his native locality. He is a son of Eleazor and Christina (SNIDER) SHOEMAKER. The father was born in Highland county, Ohio, May 26th in the year 1821, where he spent his earlier years and where he received a meager education in the sommon (sic) schools of the vicinity. When a young man he removed to Putnam county, Indiana, where he soon got a good start and where he was married September 14, 1842, to Christina SNIDER, soon after-wards removing to Clinton county, where he continued to reside until his death, January 30, 1876. He was a hard-working man, very strong and rugged. He cleared the land on which he settled in Forest township and here developed an excellent farm through sheer hard labor. He was not only a shoemaker in name but also a shoemaker by trade as well, and spent such spare time as he could command in this work, although not professing to be a skilled workman. Politically, he was a Republican. The mother of our subject was born in the year 1826, June 10th, in the city of Knoxville, Tennessee, and there remained until she was about ten years old, when she removed with the rest of the family to Putnam county, Indiana. She had no chance to attend school and could not read or write but was a woman of rare common sense. Her death occurred September 4, 1904.
The family of Eleazor Shoemaker and wife was a large one, thirteen children having been born to them, named as follows: Elizabeth and Christiana (both deceased) ; Solomon, Rebecca (deceased); Jacob, of this review; Mandy, Calvin, Allen, and Martin (all deceased); Louis, Enoch (deceased), Elija, and Rachel (deceased).
Jacob Shoemaker grew to manhood on the home farm and there did his full share of the work when a boy, he receiving a common school education. In an interesting sketch of his early home life he writes: My father settled on the land on which the north half of the township of Forest now stands, on the first day of January, 1852, in a little log cabin on a half acre of cleared ground in the midst of a dense forest. The roof of this cabin of clapboards, fastened down with weight poles. Not a nail or piece of iron was in the whole building. The doors were on wooden hinges and the floor was made of split slabs. Our huge fireplace had a stick and clay chimney, and clay back jams and hearth furnished warmth and cooking place for the family. At this old fireplace, oft have I seen my dear old sainted mother cooking hoe cakes and Johnny cakes. In early fall the meal from which our meal was made was grated on a piece of tin through which holes had been made with a nail, the corn being gathered before it would shell and ofttimes our mush was stirred with a large cornstalk.
"Our clothing consisted of home fabrics, made into our simple garments by our mother. Our drinking water was provided by a hole eight or ten feet deep dug in one corner of our dooryard and into which a large hollow sycamore log had been placed on end for watering purposes. The water being drawn with the old well sweep. Our tillable fields were only the high knoll surrounded by swamps. We planted our corn on a ridge thrown up with a barshare plow, two furrows together to keep it out of the water. We neither had drains nor roads excepting as we would 'blaze' them out through the woods, often having to change them on account of mud. All our crops had to be divided with the coons, squirrels, deer, foxes, wild turkeys and other animals and fowls that infested the then dense forests and ofttimes our father would send myself and a brother at night to our little fields to protect the crops and we would sometimes drive four or five coons to a single tree. Our forage for our little herd consisted of slough grass. Many times do I remember when sent to drive the cows in, that there would be more deer than cows in the herd, attracted. seemingly by the cow bell."
On December 13, 1880, Mr. Shoemaker married Martha E. FLETCHER, who was in this county and state January 3,1850, and she grew to womanhood here and received her education in the public schools. She is a daughter of William and Elizabeth Ann FLETCHER. Three children have been born to our subject and wife: Anna Myrtle, born in 1883, married to Monroe HUFFER, near her father's farm; Christina Merle, born July 7, 1883, died March 1, 1902; Bert Monroe, the son and youngest child, born October 3, 1886, absent from his home after March 25, 1902, and his whereabouts are unknown to his parents.
Jacob Shoemaker has followed farming all his life with uninterrupted success. He is an owner of a valuable and well kept place of one hundred and fifteen acres, all tillable but about eight acres. It is fairly well tiled and otherwise properly improved. He built his own home and is comfortably situated in every respect. He is now living retired, renting his farm. He formerly made a specialty of raising Jersey cows and Poland China and Duroc hogs. He still raises the latter, and a good general breed of horses.
Politically, Mr. Shoemaker is a Prohibitionist, being bitter against the vile stuff which he has seen ruin so many of his acquaintances. He is a member of and a trustee and earnest worker in the Holiness Christian church. Pages 893 894. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
James M. Sims was born March 31,1843. He located in Mulberry Feb 13,1873 and two years later formed a partnership with William I. Slipher in the general merchandise business. About two years later Simon S. Ohl purchased the interest of Mr. Slipher, and the firm name of Sims & Ohl from that date became familiar to every resident of Mulberry and Madison Township as well as to almost everybody living within a distance of ten miles of the town. This partnership and business was continued for almost thirty years until the death of Mr. Ohl, in the year of 1908
In 1893 he assisted in the organization of the farmers National Bank of Mulberry, and became its cashier and continued in the office until the expiration of the banks charter, when he assisted in organizing the Citizens National Bank, and then became its president. At the end of six months, on account of failing health, he retired from the presidency of the bank, but was continued as director
Upon entering the bank he continued his interest in the store of Sims & Ohl , which he held until the death of Mr. Ohl, at which time the store was sold to A. Weaver, of Scircleville
On November 17,1891, Mr. Sims was married to Miss Melinda Peters, daughter of Emanuel and Lydia (LEIBENGUTH) PETERS. Page 890 Source II
Submitted by Dick Leibenguth
SENSE, Harry C.
SHAW, Monroe C.
SHEARER, John A.
SHEETS, Philip M.
SHEETS, Zimri Elisha
SHERIDAN, Harry C.
SHOCKLEY, John C.
SIMS, James M.
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2000 © Chris Brown 1998/2000
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.