Si - Ss
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
SIMS, Carl Whisler
Although a young man, Carl Whisler Sims fills a large place in the public eye and in business circles has earned a name and reputation far exceeding those of many men of greater age and wider experience in his special field of endeavor. He is a Hoosier by birth and a son of John T. and Malissa (WHISLER) SIMS, both representatives of well known families and of high social and moral standing in Clinton county, where for a number of years they have made their home.
Carl Whisler Sims was born at Forest, Indiana, August 1, 1882, and after finishing the common school course entered the Frankfort High School, from which he was graduated with an honorable record as a diligent and capable student in 1901. Subsequently he pursued the higher branches of learning for two years in Hanover College and on leaving that institution began the struggle of life for himself in the grain business at Cyclone, Indiana, where he soon gained the confidence of the people arid built up a lucrative patronage. After two years in the latter town he sold out and purchased the Monon Elevator, south of Frankfort, where he remained for a period of two years, when he disposed of the property and removed to Oakland, Indiana, where he bought an elevator and for one year conducted a very safe and satisfactory trade in grain. At the expiration of the time indicated he engaged in the same line of business at Frankfort with his father under the name of the "J. T. Sims Grain Company," which partner-ship lasted until1911, when the subject purchased the enterprise and became sole proprietor, a position he has since retained.
Since becoming the head of the concern, Mr. Sims has greatly enlarged and improved the plant with a corresponding increase in the business arid now has an elevator with a capacity of 25,000 bushels and a mill which turns out 150 barrels of flour per day, besides dealing extensively in all kinds of grain and seeds and commanding a patronage second in magnitude and importance to no other establishment of the kind in his part of the state. He gives employment to an average of nine men throughout the year and his mill is taxed to its utmost capacity, to meet the large and growing demand for his special brand of "Imperial Flour," which is noted for its excellence and has an extensive sale in both local and general markets, much being shipped to the larger trade centers throughout Indiana and other states.
Mr. Sims is essentially a business man and as such occupies a commendable standing among his contemporaries and with the general public. He is likewise a man of action, actively, interested in all that makes for the growth and betterment of his city and county and to a marked degree enjoys the esteem and confidence of his fellow men. Conservative and steadfast in his convictions, progressive in his ideas, liberal in the support of all worthy enterprises, and firm in his friendships, he is one of the most valuable arid all-round citizens of Frankfort, an estimate in which all who know him will freely and cheerfully concur. Mr. Sims' first vote was cast for the Republican party, of which he has since been an earnest advocate and zealous supporter. In religion he is a Methodist and endeavors so to live that his daily actions and influence will exemplify the beauty and worth of a living faith when practically applied to the affairs of man. He is a Mason of high standing, having risen to the thirty-second degree in that ancient and honorable fraternity, besides being a Sir Knight and an active member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He has a beautiful and attractive home in Frankfort, the presiding spirit of which is an intelligent and popular lady of excellent character and social standing who bore the maiden name of Florence RICHEY and to whom the subject .was united in marriage June, 1911. Mrs. Sims, like her husband, is a native of the Hoosier state, having been born in Scircleville, Clinton county, September 10, 1882. Pages 405 407.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
CICERO SIMS, of Frankfort, is one of the oldest and best known citizens of Clinton county, Ind. Mr. Sims was born in Rush county, Ind., on the twelfth day of January, 1822. His father, Stephen Sims, was an early settler of the county of Rush. He settled near Rushville and was one of the first Justices of the peace of that county. It was in the log cabin home of Stephen SIMS that the first circuit court of Rush county was held, and in this house Cicero Sims was born. (Of his father more extended reference is made in the personal sketch of Capt. James N. Sims, elsewhere within these pages.) Cicero SIMS was brought up on a farm, and in the district schools gained a fair common school education. In early life he taught in the district schools, and was also an instructor of vocal music for a number of years. With his parents, he removed to Boone county and later he accompanied them to Clinton county, where in 1842 he married Miss Mary C. BLACK, daughter of William and Isabel (HENDERSON) BLACK. Mrs. Sims was born in Wayne county, Ind., June 6, 1824. Her parents were natives of Kentucky, early settlers in Wayne county, and later pioneers in the county of Clinton. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Sims were born six children, as follows: James N., who died in the Civil war, February 12, 1863; he was a corporal in company G, Eighty-ninth Indiana infantry; Sarah C., wife of 0. M. MERRICK, of Russiaville, Ind.; Nancy J., wife, of John A. MERRICK, a former attorney, but now a farmer of Clinton county; Isabel E., wife of J. W. LEE, a boot and shoe dealer of Frankfort; William M., of Chicago, and Dr. S. B. SIMS, of Frankfort.
Immediately after marriage Mr. Sims settled down in life on a farm in the northeastern part of Clinton county, where he lived and tilled the soil with success until 1872, when he removed to Frankfort, where he has since resided. While on the farm Mr. Sims gratified his natural taste for the law by a course of private reading, thus becoming well versed in the principles of the profession. As early as 1858 he was admitted to the practice of law, and while on the farm he did much legal business for his neighbors. Upon coming to Frankfort, in 1872, Mr. Sims and his brother, Capt. James N. Sims. became partners in the practice. He also became interested in the real estate business, and after remaining with his brother eighteen months, withdrew from the partnership, and since then the greater part of his time and attention has been given to his real estate business and collecting. In 1886, Mr. Sims constructed Alhambra Lake, a portion of which lies within the city limits of Frankfort. This artificial lake covers three acres, and averages from five to fifteen feet in depth. It is fed by five flowing wells, which furnish an average of one-hundred gallons per minute. The lake is well stocked with fine fish, and Mr. Sims has provided it with a bath and boating house, which renders the lake a delightful place for bathing and boating. In 1844, Mr. Sims cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay and was a whig until the organization of the republican party; since then he has been an enthusiastic republican. He has never sought political preferment, having often declined public office. He is unassuming, plain, jovial and popular, with a wide acquaintance. Pages 856 - 857 Source I
Transcribed by Connie
SIMS, James N.
CAPT. JAMES N. SIMS is one of the oldest and most esteemed citizens of Clinton county and has for years been an active and prominent member of its bar. He is a native of Indiana, having been born at Connersville, Fayette county, on the fifth day of January 1817. His father, Stephen SIMS, was born in Cooke county; Tenn., November 24, 1792. Stephen Sims was a son of William and Amelia (Russel) Sims. William Sims was a son of William and Martha SIMS, and was born in Culpeper county, Va., May 14, 1760, his parents being of Scotch lineage. Unto the marriage of William and Amelia (RUSSEL) SIMS was born the following children: Larkin, Mary A., Joshua, James, William, Elizabeth, Sarah, Stephen, Thomas, Anna, Martha and Lewis. Of these only Martha survives. She now (1894) resides in Boone county, Ind.. being ninety-five years old. The death of the mother of these children occurred in 1820, and four letters later the father married, for a second wife, Fear STURDIVANT, whose death occurred in the year 1840. From his native state William Sims removed in the year 1784, at which date he became a pioneer of Cooke county, Tenn., where he resided till the year 1811, at which date he removed to Franklin county, Ind., where his death occurred August 27, 1845. His occupation was that of farmer. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and served under Gen. Washington. This sturdy pioneer and patriot was equally distinguished as a Christian. When the Methodist Episcopal church was really in its infancy in America, he became a member of this organization, and thereafter till death he remained a zealous and active member. His son, Stephen SIMS, father of our subject, was nineteen years of age when he removed with his parents from Tennessee to Indiana in 1811. The family settled near Brookville. In the year 1813, Stephen married Elizabeth McCARTY, who was born at North Bend, Hamilton county, Ohio, in the year 1797, to which place her parents had only a short time previously removed from Baltimore county, Md. They subsequently removed to Brookville, Ind., where the daughter married Mr. Sims. Her, father, also, was, a soldier in the Revolutionary war. She bore her husband the following named children: Amelia, deceased; Rebecca, deceased; James N., our subject; William, deceased; John F., deceased; Cicero, a prominent retired citizen of Frankfort; Mary J., deceased; Larkin, deceased; Sarah, deceased; Jesse, deceased; Lewis, a well known citizen of Clinton county and a captain of the Eighty-ninth lndiana volunteers; Martha A., who resides at Lebanon, Ind., and William S., deceased. The last named rose to the rank of captain of the Eighty-sixth Indiana volunteer infantry, in the war of the rebellion.
For a short time after his marriage Stephen Sims resided in Franklin county, then removed to Connersville, Fayette county, and from there to Rush county, where he resided till the death of his wife in 1834, at which date he removed to Boone county, and settled near Middlefork, where he continued to reside. He died January 16, 1863. The parents were life-long members of the Methodist Episcopal church. The father held many positions of honor and trust. Like his father he was first a whig in politics and upon the organization of the republican partv he became a republican. For years he was justice of the peace, and while residing in Boone county he served as property appraiser; for two years he was an associate justice of Boone county. He also served as a school commissioner of Rush county for five years, and in 1850 was a delegate to the Indiana constitutional convention. In all these positions he discharged his duties with fidelity and creditable ability. He was of ordinary education, but of general intelligence and unusual mental energy. He was a soldier of the war 1812, and in every sense of the term was one of the pioneers of Indiana. He was twice married and was the father of nineteen children by both marriages. He began life as a mechanic, and having a large family to support, amidst the privations of a new country, he acquired only a limited estate; and his children, as they grew to maturity, were compelled to resort to their own resources; and such was the lot of his son James N., whose name heads this biographical mention.
James N. Sims remained under the parental roof till he reached his majority, aiding his father with work on the farm. He gained a fair common school education, and for ten years was engaged in teaching and by means of earnings from teaching, was enabled to prepare for a professional life. His literary edcation was completed by a collegiate year at Asbury university. During the period he taught school he applied himself to the study of law. He was licensed to practice in November, 1843, but did not engage in regular practice until several years later. In April, 1848, he opened up an office in Frankfort, where he has since continued to reside and to practice. He was a whig until 1854, when he became and has continued to be a republican. He was a delegate to the national convention in 1860, and supported Abraham Lincoln for the presidency. During the rebellion, he and five brothers served in the Union army. September 16, 1862, he enlisted in company I, of the One Hundredth Indiana volunteer infantry. The company was known as the "Clinton County Excelsiors," of which he was captain, until, in consequence of failing health, he was honorably discharged, at Camp Sherman, near Vicksburg, on the eleventh day of August, 1863. He then returned to Frankfort and resumed the practice of law, and for nearly fifty years he has been a conspicuous member of the Clinton county bar. In many important cases has he appeared before the county, district and supreme state court,
and, now, in his seventy-eighth year, he is still engaged in the practice of his profession, in full possession of all his faculties. He has never yielded to the solicitation of his fellow-citizens to accept public office, preferring the practice of his profession. However, he has always felt a lively interest in all public affairs, calculated to promote the interests of his city, county and state.
On the fourteenth day of November, 1865, Mr. SIMS married Miss Margaret A. Allen, who was born in Clinton county, Ind., April 29, 1830, a daughter of John and Martha (RUNYON) ALLEN, natives of Ohio. Unto the marriage were born, Elizabeth, deceased; Frederick mayor of Frankfort, elected in 1894; and Grace. Mrs. Sims is an Episcopalian in religious views, while our subject is a Universalist. Pages 854 - 856.
Source I Transcribed by Connie
SIMS, Stephen B. , M.D.
Doctor Stephen B. Sims is a native of the city in which he resides and a son of Cicero and Mary Caroline SIMS. The mother previous to her marriage having borne the family name of BLACK, whose family sketch appears upon another page of this work.
Doctor Sims was born May 15, 1861. He was reared in the place of his birth and after finishing the usual graded school course entered the Frankfort high school, from which he was graduated with the class of 1878. Having early manifested a decided preference for the medical profession, he began his preliminary study of the same in the office of Drs. Cox and Adams, under whose direction he continued until entering Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, where he made creditable record as a faithful and diligent student and from which he received the degree of M. D. in the year 1884. Immediately following his graduation he began the practice of his profession at Frankfort with Doctor Knapp, one of the most successful men of his calling in Clinton county, but at the expiration of one year severed his connection with his partner and during the ensuing seven years built up a large and lucrative professional business of his own. In 1892 he again became associated with Doctor Knapp and the firm thus constituted lasted seven years, since which time Dr. Sims has been in the practice alone and, as already indicated, is now one of the representative men of his profession in Frankfort.
Doctor Sims' domestic life dates from May 8. 1888, when he was united in marriage with Miss Agnes M. MINER, of Frankfort, who proved a true wife and judicious helpmate, and who bore him one child, a daughter, Mary L., a graduate of St. Joseph Academy, Tipton, Indiana, and one of the intelligent and popular young ladies in the city of her residence. The first Mrs. SIMS died in the year 1905, and subsequently, in 1906, he chose a second wife and companion in the person of Mrs. Sarah GUERNSEY.
Politically, he is a Republican, and fraternally, belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and Masonic order. Pages 407 408.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
SIMS, William Scott
WILIAM SCOTT SIMS was born in Warren township, Clinton county, Ind. , January 19, 1855, son of Lewis and Courtney (SCOTT) SIMS. Until twenty-one years of age he lived on his father's farm, pursued his studies in the common schools, and when seventeen began teaching, which profession he continued during the winter of 1872-3 in Warren township. The following spring and winter he attended school, and for three terms was a student in the National Normal school of Lebanon, Ohio, where he obtained a knowledge of the more advanced branches of learning. In the meantime, he taught in the township of Madison, and from 1876 to 1885 was similarly engaged in the town of Mulberry, and in the spring of 1879 spent three months in Wabash college at Crawfordsville. In 1885, Mr. Sims was elected superintendent of the Clinton county schools, the duties of which position he discharged in a very creditable manner for two years, and in 1887 became deputy county auditor under Wilson T. COOPER, continuing in that capacity about two and a half years. Subsequently, he held the position of deputy treasurer under William J. BARNETT and W. T. MAISH, and in 1891 engaged in the loan, abstract and insurance business, to which he has since devoted his attention. Mr. Sims has been a member of the school board of Frankfort for four years, and during his incumbency many improvements have been made, including the addition to the first ward school building and rebuilding the third ward school building, also the construction of the present magnificent high school building, the finest structure of the kind in the state. In matters educational, Mr. Sims has always manifested great interest. and during his term as superintendent he did much toward systematizing a uniform course of study and securing teachers of well known professional ability. He is clerk of the board of turnpike directors, is public spirited in all the term implies, and all movements having for their object the public good find in him a zealous friend and liberal patron. He represents four of the largest insurance companies in the country, has in his office a complete abstract of every piece of property in Clinton county, and his loan and real estate business, with the two departments mentioned, is quite extensive and remunerative. Mr. Sims. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he has held the highest position within the gift of the local lodge, and also belongs to the Sons of Veterans. On the twentieth of May, 1880, in the township of Madison, he was united in marriage to Miss Emma KYGER, daughter of James and Mary A. (SMITH) KYGER, to which union three children have been born -- two living at this time, Merlin and Cecil. In politics Mr. Sims affiliates with the republican party, and he is one of the few persons that holds a life license to teach in any part of Indiana, granted by the state board of education.
pages 857-858. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
SLEETH, Henry Eldridge
Indiana has long been noted as one of the first states in the Union in the production of corn. This is due to two reasons, partly because of the richness of the soil and partly because of the skill employed by the farmers. They seem to understand better than the farmers of some sections of the United States the fact that thorough preparation of seed bed, intelligent selection of seed and good cultivation are vitally essential and must be employed, but to attempt to grow the one hundred bushel crop by these means alone is like trying to build a house by constructing the roof before laying the foundation. The basis of a bumper corn crop is a fertile soila soil continuing sufficient plant food elements to produce such abundant crops as are seen in this world renowned corn belt a soil so intelligently drained that these elements in plain food solution shall not be weakened by over dilution. All this is well understood by Henry Eldridge Sleeth, one of the up-to-date farmers of Forest township, Clinton county.
Mr. Sleeth was born on September 10, 1868 in White county, Indiana. He is a son of Oliver Perry Sleeth and Jane (ELDRIDGE) SLEETH. The father was born near Fairfield, Ohio, May 24, 1822, and his death occurred on January 25, 1876. He received a good education and followed farming all his life in White county, Indiana. Politically he was a Republican. He and Jane Eldridge were married on October 31, 1850 in White county. She was born in Richmond, Indiana, on November 8, 1834, and she received a good education. She is still living, making her home with her children. She is now well on toward her four score milestone, and is a fine old lady of the pioneer type.
Six children, four of whom are still living, were born to Oliver P. Sleeth and wife, namely: Stacey M., John C. (deceased), Mary Ella, Eliza Ann, Franklin Martin (deceased), and Henry E. of this review.
Henry E. Sleeth grew up on the home farm and received a good common school education. On November 7, 1900 he married Jessie M. COLLINS, who was born in Forest township, this county, on August 1, 1873. She is a daughter of Amaziah H. and Nancy (CARTER) COLLINS, both now deceased.
David B. CARTER, an uncle of Mrs. Sleeth, made his home with our subject, after the death of his wife, Levina (COLLINS) CARTER, until his death, at which time he willed the old home place, where our subject now lives, to Mrs. Sleeth. The place is a valuable one, consisting of one hundred and ten acres, all tillable but about twenty-four acres. It is well improved in every respect, most of the tiling and improvements having been made by David Carter, who was a soldier in the Civil war, having enlisted in Company G. Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in 1862, and later in Company G, Eighty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. His death occurred on June 18, 1903. He studied law at one time, and was a good business man. He was an influential Republican. He had no children of his own, but reared several. He was a thirty-second degree Mason, a member of Murat Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Indianapolis.
Amaziah H. Collins, father of Mrs. Sleeth was also a soldier in the Civil war. He served in Company G. Eighty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
Mrs. Sleeth grew to womanhood in her native community and received a common school education. Two children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: John Collins, born June 28, 1906, and Henry ELDRIDGE, Jr., born July 24, 1911.
Mr. Sleeth moved to Clinton county in 1897 and here he has been engaged successfully in farming ever since. He makes a specialty of a cross between Duroc and Poland-China hogs, and raises general purpose horses.
Politically he is a Republican. He belongs to the Masonic Order, the Blue Lodge, and the Knights of Pythias and both he and his wife attend the Methodist Episcopal church.
pp. 674-676 Source II
Transcribed by Tonya
DAVID SLIPHER, a retired farmer now living in Mulberry, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Butler county, Ohio, April 28, 1814, and is a son of Stephen and Elizabeth (FLENNER) SLIPHER. The father was a native of Virginia, and the mother of Maryland. while both were of German descent. Stephen Slipher was born in 1780, and in 1802 emigrated to Ohio, locating in Butler county, where he entered 210 acres of land on the Miami river. In 1828, he came to Clinton county, Ind., and entered from the government 640 acres of land. Two years later he secured another section and moved to Clinton county and settled on this land in 1851, remaining in Ohio up till that time; upon the farm which he there developed he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1868. His wife died in 1856. They had nine children, of whom three are yet living -- Emily, widow of Simeon BRYAN; David and Susan. Those deceased are Daniel, Isaac, Philip, Stephen, Elizabeth and Polly.
The gentleman whose name heads this record was reared upon his father's farm and began working in the fields at a very early age. His school privileges were thus limited, and his youth was not a flowery one. Having arrived at mature years he chose as a companion and helpmate on life's journey Miss Mary, daughter of Samuel and Abigail (MILLS) SCOTT, natives of Lancaster county, Pa. Her parents were of German and English descent respectively. Her father died in Wisconsin and her mother passed away in Ohio. Of their twelve children only two are living. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Slipher was celebrated March 1, 1838, and has been blessed with nine children : Elizabeth, wife of David BOLYARD; Martha, widow of John B. BEARD; Mary, deceased; Louisa, wife of William Peters ISSAC, who resides in Missouri; Stephen, deceased; Clark, who is living near Frankfort ;William I.; and Emeline, wife of Frank BURKHALTER.
After his marriage, Mr. Slipher rented a farm for four years and then came to Clinton county; Ind. This was in 1842. Here he cleared a farm, transforming the land into rich and fertile fields, and at one time he was the owner of 340 acres of valuable land. He first began threshing in 1850, using horse power for the purpose, and in 1862 he bought a steam thresher, the first ever introduced in the community. To the work of farming and threshing he devoted his energies with good success until 1875, since which he has lived retired In his business dealings he was successful and thereby won the capital which now enable him to lay aside business cares. Both Mr. and Mrs. Slipher are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are highly respected citizens. He is also a warm advocate of temperance principles and votes with the prohibition party. He served as county commissioner from 1870 until 1879. Page 858
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
SMITH, Chalmer L.
The biographical annals of Clinton county would be incomplete were there failure to make specific mention of the progressive farmer of Madison township whose name forms the caption of this paragraph, who is one of the counties worthy native sons. Mr.Smith had the sagacity in youth to see that better opportunities waited for him right here on his native heath than otherwhere, consequently his life labors have been confined to this locality rather than in distant and precarious fields, and, judging from the success he has achieved here he was fortunate in coming to this decision -- to remain at home, the best place in the world, as all will agree.
Chalmer L. Smith , owner of Grand View Farm, is a scion of two of our sterling pioneer families, both having been prominent in the affairs of the county for several generations. He was born in Ross township, Clinton county, August 4, 1871, and is a son of Edward and Sarah E. (FICKLE) SMITH. The father was a native of Ohio where he remained until he was eighteen years of age then west to Illinois and was living there at the out-break of the Civil war. He did not enter the service until the war was nearly over, having enlisted in February, 1865, in the One Hundred and Forty-eighth Illinois volunteer Infantry, in which he served until September of the same year when he was honorably discharged, with the rank of corporal. He was born in Perry county, Ohio, in 1847, and was a son of James Smith , also a native of the Buckeye state, and of Scotch-Irish descent. Edward Smith later came to Clinton county, Ind., and here married Sarah E. Fickle, daughter of Isaac and Ann (THOMPSON) FICKLE, mention of whom is made at length on other pages of this volume. The death of Edward Smith occurred at the age of forty-four years, May 16, 1891. The death of his wife occurred on March 6, 1895, at the age of forty-eight years. Five children were born to them, namely: Lorenzo V., of Bluffton, Ind.; Chalmer L., of this sketch; Elva F., of Mulberry; James M., of Washington township, this county; Robert F., of Clarks Hill, Ind. The father was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and he belonged to the United Presbyterian church, at Mt. Pleasant.
Chalmer L. Smith was reared on the home farm in his native township and he received a common school education. When twenty-one years of age he married Erma LAKE nee DAGGY, daughter of George DAGGY, who died when forty-two years old. Mr. DAGGY was born in Virginia. His wife, a Miss Minerva POUNDSTONE, was a native of this county. Her death occurred at the age of forty-four years, leaving five children, namely: Mrs. Ida TIMONS, Willard D., Mrs. Ada STEIN, of Carroll county, Indiana, and Mrs. SMITH of this sketch.
Mr. Smith owns a small but productive and valuable farm of sixty-two acres which he moved to in 1899. He has a good home and every thing about the place is kept in shipshape. He has worked hard and is very comfortably fixed. His dwelling is on an eminence from an inspiring view of the surrounding country may be had.
The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Ethel May, born September 21, 1898; Gladys Opal, born October 19, 1906.
Politically, Mr. Smith is a Republican. He is a member of the United Brethren church and the Sons of Veterans at Mulberry. Pages 775 & 776
Source II Transcribed by Connie
No people that go to make up our cosmopolitan civilization have better have better habits of life than those who have originally come from the great German empire, or are descendants of these people. They are all distinguished for their thrift and honesty, and these two qualities in the inhabitants of any country will in the end alone make that country great. When, with these two qualities, is coupled with the other quality of sound sense, which they as a race, seem to possess in large degree, there are afforded such qualities as will enrich any land and place it at the top of the countries of the world in the scale of elevated humanity.
Among the second generation of Germans in Clinton county is George Smith, of Frankfort, well-known veterinary and public official and one of our worthy native sons, his entire life of sixty-five years having been spent here, and he is representative of two sterling pioneer families of this locality.
Mr. Smith was born at Rossville, Clinton county, January 27, 1848. He is a son of John H. and Ann (DEHNER) SMITH, both born in Germany, from which country they emigrated to the United States with their parents when young in years and here they grew up and were married, finally locating in Rossville, where John H. Smith opened a harness shop, in 1832, and continued in this business until 1852, being one of the first to engage in this line of endeavor in this section of the state. The country was sparsely settled and little improved when he came here. In 1852 he went into the general mercantile business in which he remained a few years when he sold out and took up farming, buying one hundred and sixty acres in 1854 where Rossville now stands. This he operated successfully until 1865, when he sold out and moved to Kentland, Newton county, Indiana, where he purchased eight hundred acres and farmed on an extensive scale until his death, which occurred there in 1869. He had divided his eight hundred acre farm into eighty acre tracts, giving each of his ten children an eighty. They were named as follows: Lucas, died in infancy; Mary, died when nineteen years of age; Elizabeth, died in 1911; Henry L., died in 1908; Joseph H., lives in Omaha. Nebraska; John A., lives in Indianapolis; Amanda, lives at Council Bluff, Iowa.
The death of the mother of the above named children occurred in 1900 at Omaha, Nebraska. Where she was making her home. The father took much interest in public affairs and for some time was justice of the peace and also trustee of Jefferson township, Newton county. Politically, he was a Democrat, and in religious matters a Catholic.
George Smith grew up in his native county and received a good public school education. He then began farming, which he continued for some time after his fathers death, and also at intervals between terms of office. In the fall of 1873 he went back to Rossville, where he bought a general store, remaining there until 1885, enjoying a good trade with the surrounding country. A great deal of his attention was directed to the practice of hi profession from 18885 (sic) until 1899, in which year he was elected county clerk, which office he held for four years. At that time he move to Frankfort, where he purchased property and there he still resides. Before moving to the county seat he was trustee of Ross townshhip for a period of eleven years. He was city councilman in Frankfort in 1905. He has been county chairman of the Democratic party during three campaigns. He has been treasurer of the Clinton County Fair Association since its organization. As a public servant he has been very popular with his constituents, performing his various duties with great fidelity and conscientiousness.
Mr. Smith is now practically retired from active life, however, he looks after his fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Union township. Politically, he is a loyal Democrat, and fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pytias, the Improved Order of Ren (sic) Men, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Honor.
Mr. Smith was married to Elenora Rose, daughter of Uriah and Elizabeth (MASTERS) ROSE, who located on a farm in Clinton county in 1866. To Uriah Rose and wife these children were born: Mrs. Mary Smith, of Rossville; Tamzen GADDIS, of McCune, Kansas; Elizabeth DOUGLASS, of Orlando, Kansas; William W., of Ross township, this county; Josephine, who died in 1890; Elenora, wife of Mr. Smith, this sketch; two children who died in infancy.
To George Smith and wife four children have been born, named as follows: Ralph is cashier of the American National Bank, of Frankfort; he is married and has one daughter, Louise; G. Adrian, cashier of the Rossville Bank, at Rossville, Indiana; is married and has three children: George Edward, Marguerite and Rosemary. Frank. Is a successful physician of Chicago; Caroline, the youngest child is at home with her parents. Pages 748 750 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
SMITH, Henry L.
HENRY L. SMITH, one of the leading merchants of Rossville, Clinton county, Ind., an old soldier and one of the present county commissioners, is of German parentage. His father, John H. Smith, was born in Germany, November 14, 1811, on the river Rhine, and came with his brothers, Philip and George, to America, when a boy. He learned the saddler's trade at Springfield, Ohio, came to Indiana when a young man, settled at Rossville in 1835, was one of the pioneers of that town, and married Anna DEHNER, born August 15, 1815. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith were born nine children: Mary A., born in 1840; Henry L., born May 12, 1842; Lizzie, born July 1, 1843; Joseph F., born September 2, 1845; George, born January 21, 1848; Sophia, born September 28, 1850; Caroline, born November 29, 1852; John A., born December 24, 1854; Amanda, born February 10, 1857. Mr. Smith followed his trade of a saddler until 1852, when he bought a farm of 160 acres, adjoining the town of Rossville, where he lived until 1865. He then sold this farm and moved to Kentland, Newton county, Ind., where he bought a section of land and died September 3, 1870. He was a hard-working, industrious man, of excellent business qualifications, and accumulated a handsome property, owning, at his death, 700 acres of improved land. He was a man of sterling worth, and entirely self-made, having accumulated his property by his own unaided efforts. In politics he was a democrat, was one of the early justices of the peace of Rossville, serving many years, and was elected township trustee of Newton county, Ind. His wife is still living in Nebraska with her children. Henry L. Smith was born May 12, 1842, in the town of Rossville, received a good common school education, and began life as a clerk at the age of seventeen in Rossville. He enlisted at La Fayette, Ind., May, 1861, in company D, Fifteenth Indiana infantry, for three years, under Capt. Jack TEMPLETON and Col. G. D. WAGONER, and served eighteen months, when he was transferred to brigade headquarters as an orderly for Gen. Wagoner, and was afterward transferred to division head-quarters. He was in the battles of Rich Mountain-the first battle of the war-Cheat Mountain, Elk Water Valley; was then transferred to the army of the Cumberland under Gen. Buell, and was in the battles of Stone River, Pittsburg Landing and many skirmishes. He was also at the battles of Perryville and Missionary Ridge. His time expired in Julie, 1864, when he was honorably discharged at Indianapolis, returned home, engaged as a clerk at Kentland, where he remained one year and then engaged in business for himself in Rossville, since which time he has here been in mercantile and general business. Beside his mercantile interests he has a farm of 300 acres adjoining Rossville, and has an interest in the tile factory. He was one of the original members of the republican party and of the famous ," Wide-awakes," a marching club in the days of the Fremont campaign. He was elected township trustee in 1876 and held that office two terms, has also been trustee of the town of Rossville several terms, was elected county commissioner in 1892, and now fills that office to the general satisfaction of the people. Henry L. Smith married, December 15, 1868, Mary S., daughter of Uriah and Elizabeth (MASTERS) ROSE. Mr. ROSE came to Clinton county, Ind., in 1865. and settled on a farm south of Rossville. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith have been born six children W. Dale, Inez, Ettie, Grace, May and Henry R. Mr. Smith is a member of Rossville lodge, F. & A. M., and is junior warden; he is also a member of the chapter, council, and the commandery of Frankfort, also a 32nd degree Scottish rite Mason; he is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., Rossville lodge, No. 183, and has passed all the chairs, including noble grand. He is also a member of Oliver Short post, No. 390, G. A. R,, and has held the office of quartermaster and commander. He and wife are members of the Methodist church, and manifestly sincere in their profession of that faith. As a soldier, his severest march was from McMiunville. Tenn., to Louisville, Ky., when Bragg, the famous Confederate general, was making desperate efforts to get to Louisville in advance of the Union forces. Another very hard march was from Nashville, Tenn., to the battle of Shiloh, the last two days march being forced part of the time on the "double quick" through a hard rain. In the battle of Missionary Ridge he was shot through the calf of the right leg; his wound disabled him about ninety days, during which he was home on a furlough, which was extended thirty days. Mr. Smith is now a substantial business man and a prominent citizen of Clinton county, and is noted for his integrity of character. His war experience and gallant part he bore in defense of the Union, and his bearing in the pursuit of the ways of peace, have won for him the ardent esteem of his fellowmen. pp. 860 - 861. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
SMITH, J. Frank
The biographies of representative men of a county bring to light many hidden treasurers of mind, character and courage, well calculated to arouse the pride of their family and of the community, and it is a source of regret that the people are not more familiar with the personal history of such men, in the ranks, of whom may be found tillers of the soil, merchants, mechanics, teachers, professional men, business men and those of varied vocations. J. Frank Smith , secretary and manager of the Clinton Lumber Company, of Mulberry, is one of the creditable reputable business men of Clinton county, and as such has made his influence felt for the general good of his community, and earned a name for enterprise, integrity and honor.
Mr. Smith was born near Delphi, Carroll county, Indiana, December 16, 1875. He is a son of James W. Smith, a native of this state, and a representative of an old pioneer family. He was a soldier in the Union army during the Civil war. He is still living and is an elder in the Christian church. He married Mary Jane DRUMMONDS, who was called to eternal rest some five years ago. To this union six children were born.
Our subject was reared on the home place and received his education in the public schools, and the high school. When a young man he was connected with the Voorhees Lumber Company, at Flora, Indiana, with which he remained for seven years, in the meantime learning the ins and out of this line of business. He was engaged in the lumber business at Gaston, Indiana, for a period of four years. He then returned to Flora, Indiana, and was engaged in the retail hardware business in partnership with his brother, Chas. E. Smith , under the firm name of Smith Bros. for a period of four years.
Mr. Smith is secretary of the Mulberry Poultry Association. His hobby is the raising of fancy chickens, his specialty being White Orpingtons. He and his son, Don, devote a great deal of time to this and finding a ready sale over a wide territory for their chickens, which have taken many premiums at different poultry shows. He has for some time been secretary and manager of the Clinton Lumber Company, at Mulberry, and has done much toward increasing the prestige of this popular concern. This is one of the largest and most widely known lumber firms in Clinton county, and an extensive business is carried on over a wide territory. A twenty thousand dollar stock of lumber is carried, of all kinds, carefully selected and prices are reasonable. Everything that is needed in the construction of all kinds of buildings may be obtained here --- lumber, laths, shingles, doors and sash, lime, cement and plaster, builders' hardware, Royal field fence, white cedar, red cedar and locust fence posts, sewer tile, paints, varnish and oils.
Michael J. GILMARTIN is president of the firm and Emma J. Smith vice-president and treasurer.
A planing mill is maintained in connection with the large yard, and all kinds of fixtures for stores are turned out, also for banks or special home furnishings. Cement blocks, posts, columns for buildings, etc., are also manufactured here. Their main building is fifty by seventy-five feet, two stories high, and the building is well adapted to the business. The office is neat and well arranged and tastily furnished.
J. Frank Smith was married in 1896 to Emma J. METSKER, a daughter of David METSKER, now deceased. He was a soldier in the Civil war and was for a number of years a prominent Carroll county citizen. His death occurred in 1906. His widow makes her home with our subject.
Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, namely: Huldah Blanche and Richard Don.
Mr. Smith is a Republican, and he belongs to the Masonic order, of which he is secretary: to the Knights of Pythias, and to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has passed all the chairs. He belongs to the Christian church, as do also his wife and family. He has a large and beautiful home with all modern conveniences in Mulberry.
Mr. Smith does an extensive wholesale lumber business, operating under the name of J. Frank Smith Lumber Company. Pages 491 492. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
SMITH, John W. an old soldier and native of
Ross township, Clinton county, Ind., springs from an old American
family of English descent. His grand-father, William SMITH,
was born in Virginia, in the year 1780, was taken to Licking
county, Ohio, by his parents about 1790, and married Anna BROOK,
in the year of 1801, in Licking county, Ohio. Anna was born
in Ireland, in the year 1788, and with her parents emigrated to
Ohio. William and Anna came to Ross township, Ind., in the
summer of 1828, and entered and bought 480 acres of land.
There were born to them: Alexander, David, Samuel, Thomas,
John, William, James, and Archibald, Mary, Elizabeth, Rebecca,
Anna, and Sarah. James and Archibald are now living in Durham,
Lewis county, Mo.; Mary, Anna and Sarah are still living in Ross
township, Clinton county, Ind. William Smith died June 25,
1833, aged fifty years, ten months, and twenty-one
days; Anna Smith , his wife, died January 20, 1849, aged fifty-two
years, two months, and three days; both were members of the M. E.
church; in politics he was a whig. Thomas Smith , father of
John was born in Licking county, Ohio, in 1808, and came to Ross
township in 1828 with his parents; he married Rebecca WAYMIRE in
1830, and died July 15, 1873, aged sixty-four years, six months;
his wife is still living in Rossville, Clinton
county, Ind. Thomas Smith owned land that is
now the southeast part of Rossville, and he helped to cut down
the first tree on that side of town. He was a carpenter and
worked at his trade, but engaged in brickmaking in 1850 and in
1858 engaged in sawmilling. He was a prominent man and a
respected member of the Methodist church, held all the lay
offices, was a local preacher twenty years, and was well and
favorably known. His children now living are John, William,
Mervin T., Marion M. and Lydia E. Mr. Smith died in
Rossville. He was a most temperate man, and much respected
member of the Sons of Temperance. The Waymires came from Germany
and settled in Butler county, Ohio, about 1783. William WAYMIRE
died in Ohio November 25, 1822. Harriet WAYMIRE, his wife,
died June 5, 1850, aged fifty years, at Noah GADDIS's, while on a
visit to relatives in Rossville, Clinton county, Ind.
Harriet, his wife, married William GADDIS, about 1824, in Ohio,
and came to Indiana and settled in Tippecanoe county, in the
summer of 1828, both dying in Ross township, Clinton county,
strict members of the M. E. church. John W. SMITH, our subject,
was born in Rossville, September 1, 1837, and is the oldest man
now living that was born and is still residing here. His
brother, William, living one mile east, is two years older.
Mr. Smith received a common school education and learned farming
and carpentering. He married, September 28, 1857, Martha J.,
daughter of Abner L. and Prudence (CASSEL) JONES, the wedding
taking place at the home of the bride's sister Hannah, in
Michigantown. After marriage Mr. Smith settled in Rossville
and followed tile carpenter and sawmill business in company with
his father and brother William. He enlisted August 8, 1862, in
company I, Fourth Indiana cavalry, Seventy-seventh regiment, as
private, at Rossville. His service was principally guarding
railroads and scouting in eastern and southwestern Kentucky.
He was disabled by an accident when on a charge on a town and was
ruptured, but remained until he was discharged on account of
disability at Bowling Green, Ky., March 15, 1863, and returned
home to Rossville, where he had left a wife and two children.
He engaged in the same business he left, including brickmaking.
In 1869, he went to Owen township and engaged in the sawmill
business until 1875, when he sold out and engaged in the
brickmaking business, and in 1879 in making tile in which he was
successful. He returned in 1890 to Rossville and bought a
one-half interest in the tile factory with Henry L. Smith .
He still retains his interest in the tile and brick works in Owen
township, with his sons, John A. and Charles E., managers.
Mr. Smith has done an extensive business in this line through
this part of the county. John W. Smith's wife's father,
Abner L. JONES, was born in Pennsylvania in 1797, emigrated to
Ohio and married Prudence CASSEL in 1818. Prudence CASSEL
was born in North Carolina in 1805. They came to Owen township,
Clinton county, in 1836. Abner L. was the owner of 160
acres of land when he died, June 24, 1847, aged fifty years;
Prudence died July 8. 1857, aged fifty-two years; both died on
the farm settled on, and both were members of the Methodist
Episcopal church. To them were born John, Ralph, Abner,
Isaac, Isabel, Hannah, Martha, Prudence and Mary, all now dead
but Isabel, Hannah and Abner. Mr. Smith and wife were the
parents of three children; William T., John A., and Charlie E.
Mrs. Smith died July 29, 1894. She was a devout member of
the Methodist church for thirty-nine years. In politics
John W. Smith is a republican and is now a member of the town
council of Rossville, and no one in the village and township is
more highly respected than he. He is a comrade of Oliver
Short post, No. 390, G. A. R., has filled all the offices, and
has been re-elected commander for the year 1895. pp. 859 - 860.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
SMITH, N. N.
Among the young business men of Clinton county who have forged to the front through the exercise of sterling innate attributes is N. N. Smith, a man in whom the utmost confidence is reposed and who is deserving in every way of the large success he has attained and the esteem of his fellow men.
N. N. SMITH was born February 24, 1877, spent his boyhood at Anderson, Indiana, where he learned the cigar trade. He came to Frankfort and started a cigar factory in 1894 and remained there for five years and then went to Flora, Indiana, where he conducted a cigar factory for thirteen years. In 1912 he returned to Frankfort, where he is now in a three-story brick building, erected for his trade; here he makes a popular cigar, whose trade mark is the Bankable. The business is prosperous and growing rapidly. Recently he made an addition to the building; in all, he has more than one hundred skilled cigar makers who are making this fine cigar which supplies a ready market. This factory opened in Frankfort July, 1912. The Bankable cigar, noted for its fine flavor and superior quality, is made of the domestic and foreign tobacco the scientific preparation of which renders the Bankable superior to any other cigar selling for ten cents. Its quality, workmanship and cleanliness are all combined to make it a very popular brand. Mr. Smith has organized his factory so as to attain the best results of the labor and skill employed. His factory is a model of efficiency and good management.
The men and women in his employ are highly skilled; he pays them good wages. Their work is subject to the closest scrutiny and inspection and nothing is put upon the market unless it is perfect; each box of cigars made at this factory is uniformly superior, for nothing imperfect is allowed to go out. This factory will continue to grow until the Bankable cigar brand will be known all over the great Middle West as the best and most saleable cigar ever offered to tile public. Pages 978 & 979.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
SMITH, Robert Emory C.
ROBERT EMORY SMITH, one of the successful and well-known teachers of Clinton county, now residing near Kirklin, was born in Johnson county, Ind., November 2, 1869. He is of Scotch, Irish and English descent, and is of prominent, early families of Indiana. His paternal grandfather, Robert Smith , moved from Virginia to Indiana, in 1833. He was a typical pioneer and fearlessly withstood the trials and incidents peculiar to a pioneer's life. He married Elenor McKinney, a most estimable lady of Irish descent; this marriage was blessed with several children, of whom only two now survive. Being left a widower, he married Louisa E. CLEM, a most estimable lady of Johnson county. This union was blessed with several children, but one of whom now survives. He lived an exemplary life, was a worthy citizen, a devout and consistent Christian, and was called from labor to reward, in 1873. His maternal grandfather, Clark GREGG, who was born in Franklin county, is a representa-tive of sturdy Scotch ancestry and traces the genealogy of the Gregg family back to one Samuel GREGG, who was born in Scotland in the year 1699. In the year 1711 the said Samuel GREGG emigrated from Scotland to Pennsylvania. According to family tradition, he married an accomplished and distinguished English lady, and they resided in or near Philadelphia; from this marriage sprang Clark GREGG who married Martha BOWLING, a lady of Franklin county; this union was blessed with five children-Nancy E., Margaret J., Cassius M., Aaron G. and Mary H.; of these five children, three are deceased. Mr. Gregg was an economic, ingenious and hard-working mechanic, and by his persistent energy he became possessor of a good farm in Franklin county, and here he labored as a mechanic and at farming until 1859, when he purchased a farm in Illinois and moved thither in the same year. But there are few households without their vacant chairs, and in 1861 the remorseless and unwelcome visitor of death visited the family and carried away the mother as his trophy. The remainder of the family lived in Illinois until 1863, when they moved to John-son county, Ind, Mr. GREGG was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and worthily exemplified that faith by his daily walk. In politics he was a stern abolitionist and fearlessly advocated the doctrine of the party mentioned. His father's home was a station on the underground railroad, and many a poor, fugitive slave was safely conducted to places of security and rest by the instrumentality of this fearless anti-slavery family. Mr. GREGG showed by his life that "Honor and shame from no conditions rise," and having taught this noble lesson so worthy of imitation by all, he quietly and peacefully sank to repose in 1873. William T. Smith , father of Emory, was born in Johnson county, Ind., September 16, 1837. By occupation he was a farmer, and brickmason, at which trades he worked alternately until 1861, when it seemed that the nation would be rent in twain. When the news came flashing northward of the battle of Bull Run, he was one of the loyal legion that reported to the call for volunteers, and in July, 1861, he enlisted in company I, Eighteenth Indiana volunteer infantry, under Capt. Jonathan WILLIAMS, of Franklin, Ind., for three years service. He was a participant in the Missouri campaign, was in the battle of Pea Ridge and several other hardfought battles; being taken sick he was sent to Benton Barracks hospital, St. Louis, Mo., whence he returned home and was discharged in 1863. He then began farming as soon as able, and also worked a portion of his time at the brickmason's trade. He was united in marriage to Nancy E. GREGG in 1864, and soon purchased a farm in Johnson county, where he resided until 1879, when he exchanged that farm for a farm in Clinton county. Mr. Smith was a shrewd business man, a good financier, went through all the trials and discouragements incident to a frontier life, but steadily worked his way upward and secured a handsome property. He was an ardent republican and championed without fear the cause of the republican party. He was from early years connected with the Methodist Episcopal church, and lived a worthy, consistent, christian life. His death occurred at the age of forty-six. His wife, a faithful member of the Methodist church, and a most estimable lady, is still living: To Mr. and Mrs. Smith were born five children : Arthur A., Martha E., Louisa J., Carl C and one who died in infancy.
Mr. Smith, whose name heads this record, began school in his fifth year, and at the age of nine was a fourth-grade pupil. At the age of sixteen he graduated from the township school. His father's death made it necessary for him to work upon the farm, but he has always been a great lover of history, a great reader and a lover of any subject that would aid in educating him. In 1892 he began teaching and has made that his vocation since, having followed it with most excellent success. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans, being identified with Capt. W. H. Hart camp, No. I 18, Division of Indiana; has filled with honor and competency nearly all the offices in this loyal order, and points with pride to the fact that his father was one of those who helped to crush the foe. He is also a member of Kirklin lodge, No.443, F. and A. M., and in this lodge is the honored secretary. In politics he is a stalwart republican, and was one of those who helped to bring about the political revolution in November, 1894. He is prominent in his party and has served as delegate to the county conventions. pp. 862 - 864. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
SMITH, Samuel B.
A well known and prosperous business man of Mulberry, Clinton county, is Samuel B. SMITH, a man who has done a very great deal for his community, for he has always been more deeply interested in her welfare than in any other locality, and it is quite natural that he should have been, this being his native home, the scene of his parents' struggles to rear their children. the scene where many things have happened to make it hallowed. To him, as to most of us, "there is no place like home."
Mr. SMITH was born in October, 1855, on a farm near Mulberry. He is a son of Israel SMITH, one of the old and honored citizens of this community, who was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, September 24, 1829, a son of Christian SMITH, also a native of Pennsylvania, and he in turn a son of Michael SMITH, a native of Germany, from which country he emigrated to the United States in the old Colonial period and settled in Pennsylvania, where he spent the rest of his life. Christian SMITH married Elizabeth MILLER, a sister of Eli MILLER, an early settler of Madison township, Clinton county. Christian SMITH and family came to this county in 1839, locating two miles west of Mulberry, and there he worked at farming and shoemaking. He was, like most of the pioneers, a hunter, there being at this time of his settlement here, bear, deer, turkey and many other denizens of the wild. He obtained plenty of honey from bee trees in the forest. His family consisted of four children, namely: Levi, Israel, Moses and Paul. His death occurred at the age of seventy-four years, and his wife lived to be seventy-six years of age. They were fine Christian characters, members of the Reformed church. Israel SMITH, father of the subject of this sketch, grew up amid pioneer conditions and he worked hard assisting his father on the home place. He received a meager education in the old log cabin schools of his day. When a boy he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed in connection with farming. He became owner of some good property in Madison township. In 1852 he married Susan CLAPPER, who was a native of Pennsylvania, a daughter of Henry and Catherine (KEPHART) CLAPPER, who emigrated to Randolph county in 1851, and here they spent the rest of their lives, the father dying at the age of seventy-four years and the mother at the age of seventy-eight. They were members of the Reformed church, and were the parents of ten children, six sons and four daughters. Israel SMITH and wife have been married sixty-one years, mutually happy and helpful. They are an old couple whom everybody admires for their honesty and charitableness. Only two children were born to them, Samuel B., of this review; and Catherine Elizabeth, who married William BATES, they living on the old Smith homestead. The parents are members of the Reformed church, the father being a deacon and formerly elder in the same.
Samuel B. SMITH was reared on the home farm and he was educated in the district schools. On March 11, 1880, he married Jennie M. NOBES, a woman of education and a successful school teacher before her marriage. She is a daughter of Rev. W. B. NOBES, now deceased. He was a prominent minister in the Methodist church. He was a native of the Isle of Wight. The mother of Mrs. SMITH was known in her maidenhood as Matilda BURCHBY, a native of Lancaster, England. The Nobes family emigrated to St. Louis, Missouri, later moved to Illinois, then to Cincinnati, Ohio, then to Jefferson county, thence to Tippecanoe county, near Lafayette. The father's death occurred at Flora, Indiana. He was a sincere minister of the gospel and a man greatly beloved by all who knew him. His wife died at the age of seventy-seven years. Three children were born to them, namely: C. E., of Lebanon, Indiana; A. C., of Indianapolis; and Mrs. Jennie M., wife of Mr. Smith.
Samuel B. SMITH has been engaged in the grocery and hotel business for a period of twenty-three years. He has built up a large and lucrative trade with the surrounding country, always carrying a fresh and general stock of staple and fancy groceries, and his hotel is popular with the traveling public. It contains twenty-three rooms, well furnished, and courteous treatment is given all guests. Cleanliness is the motto here. Excellent home cooking is found here and the hotel is known to all traveling men who make this section of the state who are always glad to spend their time here when in Mulberry. Everyone is made to feel at home. As a musician and band leader Mr. Smith is well known, and he has been leader of the local band, one of the best in the county, for a quarter of a century. He is also a choir and orchestra leader of prominence and his services are in great demand. He has been connected with the choir of the local Reformed church for a period of thirty-five years. He has also been superintendent of the Sunday school and his wife has been Superintendent of the children's department for years. Jessie SMITH, a daughter of S. B. SMITH, is a teacher of music and has been in charge of the pipe organ at the church for three years. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both prominent in churh (sic) and Sunday school work. They both belong to the Reformed church.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Perlin, married to Bert SEIFERT, of Chicago, has two children, Harold and Bertha; Jessie, at Home; Violet Marie, born in 1900, died April 1, 1912, was noted for her talent as an artist and musician, and gave every promise of a brilliant future; Samuel B. Jr., the only son, died in early life.
Mr. Smith is a Republican in politic, but is not a politician and was never an office holder. Pages 485 486. Source II
Transcribed by Connie
SMITH, Thomas Jefferson
THOMAS JEFFERSON SMITH who was commissioned postmaster, for Frankfort, on the 9th day of May, 1894, is one of the best known citizens of Clinton county, was born in the city of Indianapolis, Ind., April 30, 1844, and is a son of George and Eva (WARD) SMITH, Virginians by birth, and of Scotch ancestory. The mother died when Mr. Smith was a child, and in the year 1853 his father, then a widower, removed to Clinton county, Ind., and settled in Center township. Here with his father, Mr. Smith made his home until seventeen years old, and at this age he enlisted, July 3, 1861, in company E, Twentieth Indiana infantry, and re-enlisted in December, 1863, as a veteran of the same company. He served throughout the entire war, being mustered out on the 30th day of June, 1865. Mr. Smith participated in the engagements at Yorktown, Williamsburg, and the seven days' fight in front of Richmond, Va.; Malvern Hill, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Culpeper, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Ann River, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and was at the surrender at Appomattox. He was wounded three times; first at Chancellorsville, where he received a wound in the breast from a minie ball; at North Ann River, he received a shell wound in the side, and at Petersburg, a minie ball struck him in the right leg. Mr. Smith is a prominent member of the G. A. R., being a comrade of Stone River post, No. 65. After his discharge from the army, Mr. Smith returned to Clinton county, and accepted a clerkship in a mercantile establishment at Frankfort. Two years later he accepted a clerkship with another mercantile firm, with which he remained for eight years. In 1875, he and Mr. W. J. E. MORRIS, under the firm name of W. J. E. Morris & Co., embarked in the lumber business, at Frankfort. One year later Mr. Smith withdrew, and for one year held a clerkship in the store of J. H. PARIS. In politics, he has always been a stanch democrat. In 1878 he was elected coroner for Clinton county and on the death of the sheriff, W. A. Brandon, Mr. Smith acted as sheriff a short time by virtue of his office. He then became deputy clerk of Clinton county, serving as such for eighteen months, and his next employment was in the clothing store of S. A. HOOVER, for four years. In 1885 he again entered the employment of J. H. PARIS, as manager of the cloak and carpet department, which position he held until he became postmaster. He is a prominent member of the Masonic order, being a thirty-second degree Mason. He also belongs to the. I. 0. 0. F. and the Improved Order of Red Men, having filled all the chairs in the two former orders, and in the Order of Red Men he has twice served as chief of records of the great council of the state of Indiana and three times as representative to the great council of the United States from Indiana. Mr. SMITH has been twice married. In March, 1866, he was united with Caroline ARMSTRONG, who died in January, 1867., In October, 1871, he was married to Miss Agnes MORRISON, daughter of the late John MORRISON and his wife, Jane (SKIDMORE) MORRISON, and this union has been blessed by the birth of the following named children: Guy B., Clare M., and Max. p 862.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
SMOCK, M. M.
M. M. SMOCK is the leading livery-man of Colfax, Ind., and has been a resident of the city since the late Civil war. His father, Jacob SMOCK, of German descent, was reared in Indiana, and married Martha McCABE, daughter of James McCABE, a cabinet maker. The father settled in Royalton, Boone county, where he owned a fertile farm, and where he died in 1863, leaving two children-Morlen M. and Annie. The mother subsequently married Andrew W. STRAINE who survived until October, 1872. Mr. STRAINE was a physician of large practice, was a justice of the peace, and a prominent member of the Presbyterian church, in which he was an elder. The mother is now well advanced in years, but hale and hearty.
M. M. Smock married Miss Cynthia WATKINS, February 5, 1880, a daughter of Enoch and Eliza J. (MORRISON) WATKINS, the former of whom was a brave soldier in the late war, is a stanch republican, a well-to-do farmer, and, with his wife, a strict member of the Methodist church. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Smock are two in number, and are named Thora Ethel, and Nellie. By trade Mr. Smock is an engineer and mechanic. He entered upon his present business in 1888, and has met with a phenomenal success. He owns a number of fine horses and rigs and a commodious livery barn, as well as a comfortable dwelling, all of which have been accumulated by his own and his wife's industry, accompanied by good management. Mrs. Smock is a faithful Methodist, while Mr. Smock is a member of Frankfort Shield lodge, No. 71, K. of P., also of Yosemite tribe No. 168, I. 0. R. M., of which he has acted as trustee. He is a republican in his politics, and as such has served as city marshal. Mr. and Mrs. Smock are accomplished musicians, and both enjoy the full esteem and respect of their neighbors. p. 865.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
SNODGRASS, Clarence G.
Clarence G. Snodgrass was born April 25, 1887 in Kirklin township, this county, the son of Garrett and Laura (BRIDGFORD) SNODGRASS. The father was born in I838 in Hancock countv, Ind., and all of his active life followed farming successfully. He was a prominent Republican and was interested in the affairs of the Christian church. He died October 18, 1907. The mother was born October 7, 185I, in Marion county, Ind., and she is still living in the town of Kirklin. Three children were born of the union: Clarence G.; Robert, born March , 26, 1891, a graduate of Wabash College, now an assistant professor there; and Mary, born December 18, 1893, now living with her mother.
Our subject was married May 9, 1909 to Ethel FULKERSON. She was born in Clinton county, Nov. 17, 1890, the daughter of Charles and Flora (ISGRIGG) FULKERSON and received a good common and high school education in her youth. Two children have been born to our subject and wife: Vera, February 28, 1910, and Vangel, April 1, 1912.
After finishing the common schools in Clinton county our subject at-tended Purdue University, and then removed to take up farming in Clinton county. His course while in Purdue was the agricultural one, which has an international reputation. At present he lives on his mother's farm in Kirklin township, comprising about three hundred and twenty acres, two hundred and forty acres where he lives, and the remainder near Cyclone, Ind. Of the two hundred and forty, one hundred and sixty are tillable, the balance being in good pasture and second growth timber. The place is well tiled and fenced, and the home is of the most modern. Of the eighty acres near Cyclone, all is tillable but sixteen acres. Aside from general farming our subject raises and breeds stock. He belongs to the Masonic Order of Kirklin and religiously is a member of the Christian church. Politically, he belongs to the Republican party. Pages 583 584.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
GARRETT SNODGRASS, a prominent and influential farmer and extensive land owner of Kirklin township Clinton county, Ind., claims Indiana as the state of his nativity, his birth having occurred in Hancock county, on the 1st of August, 1833. On the parental side he is of Scotch-English descent, and on the maternal side of Irish lineage. His grandfather Snodgrass was born in Virginia, removed to Kentucky, where he owned a grist mill, and in 1824 came to Hancock county, Ind., where he entered 160 acres of land for himself and eighty acres for each of his sons. He was a member of the Christian church, an old-time whig, and lived to be fifty-one years of age. His children were John, Robert, James, Elizabeth, Nancy, Epsey, Minerva, Lucinda and Garrett. Robert Snodgrass, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Kentucky, January 8, 1802, and became a miller and well-to-do farmer. He married Rebecca GREGG, who was born in Campbell county, Ky., in 1809, and died in 1879, and was a daughter of John and Frances GREGG. Their children are John D., who married Miss SECORD; Nancy J., wife of Robert SLOCUM; Frances, wife of James HOPKINS; Garrett; James, who married Clara McCAIN; Mary A., who died at the age of thirteen; and Elizabeth A., wife of John WYNKOPP. The father of this family came to Indiana in 1824, and secured a heavily timbered tract of land. After living in this state for seven years he spent: three years in Missouri, but not wishing to rear his family in a slave state, he returned to Boone county, Ind, in 1840, there spending four years. On the expiration of that period he purchased a water-mill at Mechanicsburg, and after operating it for eighteen months traded it for a farm in Boone county. A year later he exchanged that property for a farm near Mechanicsburg, to which he removed after operating a mill in Thorntown for a year and a half. Six years later he sold his farm and purchased 247 acres of land in Kirklin township, where he made his home until his death in August, 1876. He was a faithful member and deacon of the Christian church, and in politics was a republican. In his business he was successful and accumulated 480 acres of valuable land. In rearing their children the parents showed a special care and brought up a family which is an honor to their name.
Garrett Snodgrass has spent his entire life in this state, with the exception of three years passed in Missouri. He shared in the hardships and experiences of frontier life and was early inured to the arduous task of developing wild land and improving a farm. At the age of twenty-two he started out in life for himself, and his career has been that of an industrious and progressive man. By hard labor and well directed efforts he accumulated 293 acres of land, which he sold when his father suffered a stroke of paralysis, returning to the farm to take care of his aged parents. Mr. Snodgrass was married October 29, 1884, to Laura F. BRIDGEFORD, who was born in 1851, and is a daughter of Andrew and Mary (HESSONG) BRIDGEFORD. Their children are: Clarence G., born April 25, 1887; Robert Andrew, born March 26, 1891, and Mary Rebecca, born December 16, 1893. Mr. Snodgrass now carries on general farming and stock raising. His home is a pleasant country residence, erected at a cost of $2,000, and a large, substantial barn has just been completed. Of his 293 acres of land, more than 200 acres are under cultivation, with 1,400 rods of tiling, and is now one of the most valuable and desirable farms of the county. Both Mr. and Mrs. Snodgrass hold membership with the Christian church, and in politics he is a stalwart republican, but has never sought nor desired official distinction, preferring to give his entire time and attention to his business interests, in which he has met with most excellent success. With his happy young family about him, and his pleasant surroundings, Mr. Snodgrass has every reason to be happy and contented. Pages 864-865 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
SPITZNAGEL, John N.
JOHN N. SPITZNAGEL is a native of Germany and inherits in a marked degree the characteristics of the sturdy race to which he belongs. He was born in the northern part of the dukedom of Baden, April 23, 1840, of which country his parents, Adam and Burga Spitznagel were also natives. They had the following children--Burga, deceased; Frederick, living in LaFayette; Mary, deceased Theresa, deceased;. Magdaline; Urban, deceased, John N. and one that died in infancy without being named. The father of these children died in Germany about 1848, at the age of' forty-eight years. Frederick and Magdaline (now Mrs. Philip DORNER of Frankfort) came to the United States in 1852 and were joined the following year by John, Urban and the mother, all of whom settled in La Fayette, Ind., where Mrs. Spitznagel died in 1865, at the age of sixty-five years.
John N. Spitznagle was thirteen years old when the family came to the United States. He then had a fair German education, and, after coming to this country, learned to read and write English by a course of private study. His first five years in America were spent as a cigar maker, and in 1858 he began the butchering business at Lafayette, where he continued until 1870, becoming thoroughly familiar with every detail of the trade in the meantime. In the year 1870, Mr. Spitznagel opened a meat market in Frankfort, where he has since carried on a very large and lucrative business, his success in a financial point of view being of the most gratifying character. During the years 1861-62 he carried on the business in Canada, but, being better pleased with the United States, he has since made the latter country, his home, and proposes to do so the remainder of his days. Mr. Spitznagel was happily married in the city of La Fayette, Ind., in 1868, to Lena MAUS, who was born in Prussia, and who died in the month of March, 1891. Two children of this marriage are living at the present time--Mary and Charles. Mr. Spitznagel is a member of the Masonic order and in every respect a most estimable citizen. Measured by the usual standard, his life has been a successful one, and his business, always conducted in a most honorable manner, has yielded him a goodly portion of worldly wealth. Eminently social in his nature, Mr. Spitznagel has never lacked for friends, and with all classes in Frankfort he enjoys a degree of popularity second to that of few people of the city. pp. 867-868 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.