T - V
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
TEEGUARDEN, F. M.
F. M. TEEGUARDEN, farmer and manufacturer of Colfax, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Union county, Ind., March 21, 1840. He was reared a farmer, but had inherited a martial spirit that made him one of the best soldiers, later on, that went to the defense of the national flag, from the state of Indiana in the late rebellion. His descent is from a very old German-American family. His grandfather, George T., was born in Pennsylvania, was a soldier in the war against Mexico, and ended his days in Parke county, Ind., where he owned 160 acres of land. The maternal grandfather of F. M. Teeguarden was also a soldier in the Mexican war and was killed in battle. The father of our subject was William H. Teeguarden, who was born in Pennsylvania, and there married Eleanor Ducat, and soon afterward came to Indiana and settled in Union county, where the father died in June, 1874, and the mother April 24, 1862.
F. M. Teeguarden, June 16, 1861, enlisted for three years at the first call for volunteers to quell the rebellion, in company G, Thirty-sixth I. V. I. He was sent to Louisville, thence to Nashville, Tenn.; then to Pittsburg Landing; later crossed the river and fought the Mississippi Tigers; was at Columbus and Iuka, and again at Nashville and at Buzzard's Roost; was in the pursuit of the rebel general Bragg; fought in the famous battle of Perryville, KY.; also at Wildcat, Ky.; fought at Chickamauga, and at the battle of Stone River; was at Lookout Mountain, and in the Resaca fight; was at Atlanta and Peach Tree Creek; and was, in fact, in all the engagements and marches of his regiment until his honorable discharge, September 17, 1864. The personal experiences of Mr. Teeguarden in this long period of valiant military service in these historical engagements were too numerous for detailed description within the limits of a biography of this character, and although his many reminiscences are most interesting and well worth recording, they are similar to those of every other brave volunteer who served so long in the defense of the Union, and, if given in detail, would fill a volume the size of this. Suffice it to say, he was brave, faithful, attentive to his duty, always at his post in time of danger, and never flinched on the march or picket duty, in a skirmish, or in the many sanguinary engagements in which he bore so soldierly a part.
November 13, 1867, Mr. Teeguarden gave his hand in marriage to Miss Lucy M. Gardner, whose heart, hand and life-long companionship he had happily succeeded in winning. This lady is a daughter of Henry and Ann (MAXWELL) GARDNER, of Union county, Ind., the former a farmer and a veteran of the late war. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Teeguarden are Maud, Bennie, Wallace, Mabel, Willie, Earl and Annie, all of whom are still gracing the family reunions or brightening the household by their daily presence. Mr. Teeguarden is a successful farmer, for the reason that he is an intelligent one, and his farm of seventy-two acres is in itself a model that denotes the superior ability of its owner. He is the proprietor of the Colfax saw-mill, and also holds a half interest in the chief manufacturing company of Colfax. He is a member of Stillwell post, No. 375, G. A. R., and has filled the highest office that of post commander. His position, socially, with his fellow-townsmen is a most desirable one, he and all his family being respected by the entire community without reservation or exception.
Pages 874-875 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
PERRIN TICEN, who resides on a farm in Warren township, Clinton county, Ind., is one of the worthy citizens that Ohio has furnished to this state. He was born in Greene county of the Buckeye state, November 8, 1829 and is a son of Pierson and Hannah (BRANSON) TICEN, both of whom were natives of New Jersey, and were of English descent. The father was born in 1801, and with his parents removed from his native state to Greene county, Ohio. In 1838 he came to Clinton county, Ind., where he purchased 160 acres of land, and at the time of his death owned a valuable and highly improved farm of 200 acres. His death occurred on December 17, 1880 and his wife died on January 4, 1871. Their union was blessed with a family of thirteen children, seven of whom are yet living. They are Elizabeth widow of John MILLINER; Matilda J. and Henderson, both deceased; Perrin, of this sketch; Andrew, who has also passed away; Abigail, wife of Joseph V. RICE; Joseph M.; Sherin; Moses deceased; Marion; William; Elmer, deceased and one who died in infancy. Upon his father's farm Perrin Ticen spent the days of his boyhood and youth. He received but limited educational privileges, his time being largely taken up by the work in the fields, but not wishing to carry on agricultural pursuits throughout his life, when a young man he learned the carpenter's trade. He then engaged in contracting and building, and also successfully managed a farm. He thus continued his labors until 1890, when he retired from carpentering He made his first purchase of land in 1850 and afterward as time passed, he bought more land becoming the owner of a considerable amount, much of which he afterward gave to his children. In 1850 Mr. Ticen married Miss Laura A. TROBAUGH and to them were born three children, namely: -- William A.; Philena, wife of Henry MICHAEL and Matilda J., deceased. The mother of this family was called to the home beyond November 6, 1855, and Mr. Ticen was again married in February, 1857, his second union being with Susan COOK, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Cook, who were natives of Tennessee. Three children graced this marriage--Cynthia A., wife of James MADGERT; Robert M. and Charlie P., now deceased. Mr. Ticen is a member of Middleford lodge, No 304, F. & A. M., and also of Frankfort commandery, No. 29, K. T., and in his political views he is a prohibitionist. His life has been well and worthily spent, and by good management, perseverance and industry he has acquired a comfortable property which now enables him to live retired.
Source II Pages 880-881
Transcribed by Chris Brown firstname.lastname@example.org
TEMPLE, Elonzo V.,
ELONZO V. TEMPLE, of the firm of Ashman & Temple, druggists, 6 North Main street, Frankfort, Ind., was born in Clinton county, November 22, 1860, and is a son of George W. and Mary A. (CLARK) TEMPLE. George W. Temple, the oldest native of Clinton county now residing in Frankfort, has his residence at the corner of Clinton and Aughe streets, an aristocratic neighborhood. But the home of the family was on the farm until Elonzo V. reached his thirteenth year, when the city , was chosen for their place of residence, which it still continues to be. Elonzo V. first attended the country schools of his native township of Owen, and the education there obtained was supplemented by a higher grade education at the schools of Frankfort. He subsequently learned the carpenter's trade under his father, and at this he worked for three years, but for the past fourteen years he has been in the drug business---the first five years, of which time were passed as a clerk. June10, 1885. Charles ASHMAN and Mr. Temple, with Frank E. ROSS, bought out a drug store and founded the firm of Ashman, Temple & Ross, which was continued until 1891, when Mr. Ross withdrew, and the business continued under the present firm name of Ashman &Temple----now the most popular in the city.
The marriage of Mr. Temple took place, in 1890, to Miss Clara Belle HILLIS, daughter of Anderville HILLIS, who resides near Scircleville, Ind. Mr. Temple is a democrat in politics, and fraternally is a Knight of Pythias. In the biography of George W. Temple more interesting details concerning the family will be found. The residence of Elonzo V. Temple is a most beautiful one and is delightfully situated on the corner of Aughe and Washington streets, the finest residence locality in the city of Frankfort. With his wife, he is also owner of 540 acres of arable land on Indian Priarie, in Johnson township, Clinton county, one mile north of Scircleville, all of which is under a high state of cultivation, with the exception of forty acres, and is well and substantially improved with modern farm dwelling and commodious barns and convenient out-buildings, the financial condition of Mr. Temple permitting him to make such expenditure as may be necessary to render their farm a model one, and that will compare favorably with any others in the countv. Mr. and Mrs. Temple are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, to the support of which thev contribute most liberally. Pg. # 876.
Source I Transcribed by Connie
Born:27 Dec 1806 New York, NY, NY ;
Married: Elizabeth "Eliza" COMPTON CARSON, 1848, IN;
Died: 7 Apr 1877 Clinton Co IN, buried Mt. Hope Cemetery;
Siblings: Not Known
Children: John T. TERWILLIGER, b. 1850 IN, m. Ann ____ 1870; Eliza J. TERWILLIGER, b. abt. 1852 IN.
Other information:Stephen TERWILLIGER and his family lived in Owen Township in Clinton Co IN
Source: , pg "History of Chitticks" by Emily Jane COMPTON written for 1928 Chittick Reunion (found in vertical files of Frankfort Public Library's genealogy room); Clinton Co Cemeteries, Vol 1, p. 40C (Mt Hope); Census records for 1850, 1860 and 1870 Clinton Co IN
Submitter: Shirley D. Webb, email@example.com;
THOMAS, Henry H.
HENRY H. THOMAS, member of the wholesale business firm of J. H. Fear & Co.. also of the firm of Campbell, Thomas & Co., proprietors of the City mills and elevator of Frankfort, was born in Fayette county, Ind., August 18, 1848. He is of German descent paternally, and on his mother's side is descended from French ancestors. His father, Minor L. Thomas, was a native of New York and son of David L.Thomas , also a New Yorker, and a pioneer of Fayette county, Ind., moving to that part of the country in a very early day. David L. Thomas was a soldier in the war of 1812 and reared a family of three children---Minor L., Erastus, and Harriet. Minor L. Thomas married Cynthia JEFFREY, whose father, William JEFFREY, was a native of New York state and an early settler of Fayette county, Ind; Both Mr. Jeffrey and David L. Thomas moved with their respective families from New York to the county of Fayette, Ind., and. located not far from the town of Connersville, where a number of other New Yorkers also settled, the locality being designated by the name of , "Yankee Town." The marriage of Minor L. and Cynthia Thomas was consummated in Fayette county in 1842, and resulted in the birth of three children----William D., Henry H. and Caroline. The mother died in 1859, and the father in 1863. Minor Thomas served in the late war as a member of the Fifty-fourth Indiana infantry, and rose from orderly sergeant to the rank of second lieutenant. He took part in a number of battles, and after the siege of Vicksburg was granted a furlough on account of ill health, having contracted a chronic ailment which resulted in his death nine days after arriving home. In 1838 he had entered government land in Tipton county, Ind., settled thereon immediately after his marriage, and aided in laying out the original plate of the town of Tipton. He resided in that county until 1848, at which time he moved back to Fayette county and lived there until his return to Tipton six years later.
H. H. Thomas was born and brought up on a farm and his educational training embraced the studies usually taught in country schools. Mr. Thomas enlisted May, 1864, in company D, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Indiana volunteer infantry, in the hundred day serivce, and served six months and fifteen days and was in garrison duty in Kentucky and Tennessee--- was discharged October, 1864, at Indianapolis. In the year 1872, he left the farm, and with a capital of $600, saved from his earnings, went to the town of Tipton and engaged in the buying and selling of live stock, which from the first, proved a most gratifying success. He remained at Tipton until 1876, and then removed to Elwood, where, during the four succeeding years, he bought and sold live stock and conducted a business in grain. Returning to Tipton, he continued dealing in live stock until 1885, but from 1876 was associated in the business with J. H. FEAR, Esq.
In 1885, Messrs. Thomas & Fear embarked in the wholesale poultry business, in which they have since continued, having at the present time houses at Frankfort, Tipton, Noblesville and Colfax, being among the most extensive dealers in their line in Indiana. In December, 1892, the firm of Campbell, Thomas & Co., was organized as proprietors of the City mills and elevator of Frankfort, and the better to give his attention to his business, Mr. Thomas in that year moved to Frankfort and has since made this city his home. In 1886 Mr. Thomas was nominated by the republican party of Tipton county for the.office of circuit clerk, and such was his popularity that at the ensuing election he defeated his competitor by a majority of ninety-nine, although the opposite party in Tipton had always been in the ascendancy. He was the first and only republican ever elected to the clerkship in the county of Tipton, and he discharged the duties of the position with acknowledged ability for a period of four years. As a business man, Mr. Thomas is safe and reliable, and his name has never been connected with any transaction of a questionable nature. He possesses financial ability of a high order, and his various enterprises, manager with intelligence and wise forethought, have resulted most profitably, and he is now one of the representative and well-to-do business men of Frankfort. Mr. Thomas is a prominent member of the I. 0. 0. F., and personally he stands high in the estimation of all with whom he has had business or other relations. His home is presided over by Mrs. Thomas, whose maiden name was Henrietta FREE, and to whom he was united in marriage in the year 1878.
pp. 876 - 878. Source I
Transcribed by Connie
THOMAS, Levi L.,
LEVI L. THOMAS, of Jackson township, Clinton county, Ind., was born in Ripley county, Ind., March 11, 1847, the son of Purrel K. and Eliza A. (MERRICK) THOMAS, both parents natives of the Hoosier state. Purrel K. Thomas was the son of David Thomas, a native of Ohio who came to Indiana in an early day, settling in the county of Ripley, where he followed the occupation of farming. Purrel was reared in Ripley county, early chose agriculture for, a life work, and came to Clinton county in the year 1857, locating about ten miles north of Frankfort, where he purchased 480 acres of land which, by reason of its many improvements, became quite valuable. Five years prior to his death, he retired from the farm, moving to Frankfort, where the remaining days of his life were passed. He was born in the year of 1818 and died on the twenty-third of June, 1885. By his marriage with Eliza A. Merrick he had seven children, namely: Levi L.; Helen N., wife of Jacob L. CATRON; William D.; Indiana H., wife of John BEARD; John W.; Laura, wife of Wood THOMPSON, and an infant that died unnamed. By his second wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth A. ANDERSON and who still lives on the old place, he had five children whose names are as follows: Nevada, wife of John MILLER; Jennie B., wife of Charles HAMMOND; Pernal; Hugh B.; and one that died in infancy
Levi L. Thomas was reared on his father's farm, attending the common schools at intervals during his minority, and, after becoming of age, engaged in agricultural pursuits on the home place for a part of the proceeds, being thus employed for a period of one year. He then purchased eighty acres of his own, to which he has made additions at different times, and now owns a beautiful farm of 280 acres, lying in one of the finest agricultural districts of Clinton county. Mr. Thomas has made many valuable improvements upon his farm, and, as a tiller of the soil and successful stock raiser, he ranks among the best of his township. He raises full-blooded short-horned cattle, and his other livestock, notably horses and hogs, indicate the great interest he has taken in this department of the farmer's vocation. Mr. Thomas was married October 2, 1870, to Margaret A. Campbell, daughter of William and Sarah J. (MORRISON) CAMPBELL, the result of which union has been six children James W., born August 20, 1871, Lewis L., born September 16, 1874; Jesse O., born November 4, 1876, died February 19, 1877; Iona E., born August 30, 1879; Nellie B, born June 30, 1884, and Glen D., born July 11, 1888. The mother of these children was born on the second day of September, 1850. Mr. Thomas, as already stated, is a successful farmer, and his reputation as a liberal-minded citizen has never been impeached in the community where he is so widely and favorably known. He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Frankfort lodge, No. 54, and in politics exercises the elective franchise in behalf of the democratic party.
Pg. # 878 Source I
Transcribed by Connie
THOMPSON, John Charles F.
JOHN CHARLES F. THOMPSON, a thriving and enterprising farmer of Kirklin township, Clinton county, Ind., was born May 3. 1854, in Rush county, Ind , and though his great-grandfather is of English descent. His grandfather, Thomas Thompson, was a native of this country, was a farmer of Franklin county, Ind., and married Nancy WALKER, by whom he became the father of two children~Alfred and Thomas. The last named was born in Indiana in 1814, was reared a farmer, and married Hannah WILLIAMS, who was born in 1818, in Wayne county, Ind., and was a daughter of Jonas and Samantha Williams. In 1844, Thomas Thompson and wife settled in Rush county, Ind., where Thomas died in 1862, his wife surviving to reach the age of seventy-three years. They were in very good circumstances, owning 160 acres in Boone county and 240 acres in Rush county, and both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their nine children were born in the following order: Samantha, died when a child; Alfred F.; Sarah; Ward; Everett; Winfield; John Charles F.; Oliver, deceased, and Thomas, deceased.
John C F.. Thompson was reared to the toils and pleasures of farming, lived most of the time on the home place until he had reached the age of twenty-five years, when he married Belle KEMPLE, who was born October 18, 1856, in Butler county, Ohio, the daughter of David and Sarah (JONES) KEMPLE, and to this happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have been born Clayton E., May 22, 1881; Myrtie, March 28, 1884, and Goldie, September 28, 1886. The parents began housekeeping on thirty acres, on which they lived four years, and then sold for $80 per acre and moved to Kirklin township, when Mr. Thompson bought sixty-three acres on the Michigan-town road, at $40 per acre. This he cultivates with the utmost care, having laid 785 rods of tiling to increase its fertility. The old log cabin has given way to a fine modern dwelling, at a cost of $1,300, and a commodious barn has been erected worth at least $ 600, together with other outbuildings that denote the thrifty and prosperous farmer, Mr. Thompson devotes special attention to the raising of horses and hogs, and he has, also, a fine young orchard, with an abundance of small fruits, and his entire surroundings are those of comfort and beauty. Mr. Thompson is in politics a republican and has served as deputy prosecutor and as delegate to the republican county convention. In religion he is a Presbyterian, and has filled the position of deacon in his congregation the past four years. He is a stock holder in the Kirklin and Terhune Natural Gas company, and of course uses the natural product in his own tasty dwelling, and he and his faithful wife live in the enjoyment of the respect of all their friends and neighbors.
pp. 878 - 879 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
THOMPSON, Samuel H.
Indiana sent many of her sons to the great struggle of 1861 to 1865, and many of them did not return, nor is it known where their unmarked grave is placed. Nothing but the memory of the happy, youthful face that marched away is left for those who knew him. Others did return, covered with laurels, and today are a reality, wells of information and interest, and their place in the hearts of their countrymen is secure and hallowed. The subject of this sketch was a soldier with an enviable record, and his presence today in the ranks of the living veterans is one of pride, merit and courage.
Samuel H. Thompson put his birth date September 13, 1838, and the place Kirklin township, Clinton county, Indiana. He was the son of John M. and Ann (HOLLIDAY) THOMPSON, natives of the state of Ohio. John Thompson was born on the first day of the nineteenth century in Clinton county, Ohio. The mother, Ann Holliday, was also born in Ohio, and in that state married Mr. Thompson. Soon after their marriage they moved to Indiana and settled in Clinton county, where the father began farming and was very successful. During his life John Thompson was a Whig by politics, and on the formation of the Republican party, he joined forces with them. Mr. Thompson was the father of twelve children: Sidney, Mary, Delina, Joselia and Robert, all deceased: Jane; Samuel; Manda; Sarah; John (deceased); Eliza; and Milford (deceased).
Samuel Thompson received his education in a log school house with greased paper windows. After the war, August 5, 1878, Mr. Thompson was married to Florence Kelly, a Clinton county girl, the daughter of Henry and Ann (HARLEY) KELLY. She was called by death in the year 1881. Two children were born to her: Ora H., born in 1879, died in 1896; Lenora M., born February 12, 1881, now married to William E. BURGIS, of Kirklin, Ind. She also has two children, Florence and Mildred.
Samuel H. Thompson began life with hard work on a farm and he continued in this occupation until August 1, 1862. At that time the heat of the war reached him. He was engaged in the blacksmithing trade at the time and immediately he dropped his tools and started for the front. On September 4, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Captain Gorham. During his service with this troop, Mr. Thompson smelt the smoke of many of the more important engagements, including Missionary Ridge and Chickamauga. He was with William Tecumseh Sherman on the famous march below Atlanta but when the army was divided he was sent back to join Hood. Later he was made a corporal of the twenty-third corps and sent back to Tennessee to take charge of his command. From there he participated in many smaller battles in and around Nashville, one being the conflict at Franklin. For a time he was on the sick list, but after recovering he joined forces again at Pulaski, Tenn. Again he suffered illness and he was returned to Nashville to mend. His next service began at Huntsville, Tenn., and he continued then without interruption. Mr. Thompson was honorably discharged at Knoxville, Tenn., June 6, 1865, and was later mustered out at Indianapolis, Ind.
After the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, Mr. Thompson went into the merchandise business at Kirklin, Ind. and remained in it for about twenty years. In 1885, he gave up his interests in the merchant line and until 1895 lived a retired life. Then he became active again, this time in the insurance business and has continued thus ever since. He was appointed postmaster of Kirklin, Ind., under President William B. McKinley in September, 1898, and served eight years in that capacity, to the gratification and esteem of his friends.
Mr. Thompson owns a palatial home in Kirklin, and frequently entertains his many friends. He is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, both lodges at Kirklin. Mr. Thompson saw fit to change politically in 1912, and he cast his lot with the Progressive party.
Pages 414 416 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
TlMMONS, Alonzo E.
The habit of self-help is what has determined the distinctive business success and prestige of the gentleman whose career we now take under consideration, and who stands at the head of one of the leading industrial enterprises of Clinton county, where, in the city of Colfax, he has built up one of the leading mercantile establishments in this locality, controlling a trade which ramifies throughout the county, and having the high reputation which is ever signicant (sic)of personal integrity and honorable methods.
Mr. Timmons, who is proprietor of a dry goods and grocery store and who has been one of the prominent business men of Colfax for the past twenty-four years, was born in Clinton county April 3, 1859, on a farm. He is a son of Andrew J. and Susan (WHITESELL) TIMMONS, an industrious old family of this county. The father was a gallant soldier in the Union army during the Civil war, serving in the Eighty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, having enlisted in 1861. He contracted a disease while in the army from which he finally died, when in the prime of life, at the age of thirty-five years. His widow is still living, making her home at Frankfort, this county, being now advanced in years. Five children were born to Charles J. Timmons and wife: Mrs. Elizabeth SHEPHERD of Logansport, Indiana; J. S., Alonzo E., subject of this sketch; Mrs. Mary TEGNER, and W. T., of Colfax. The father was a Democrat in politics.
Alonzo E. Timmons was reared on the home farm and worked hard when a boy. He received his education in the public schools. For twelve years he worked in Dawsons tile factory, one of the first concerns of its kind to be established in Indiana. Then for three years he traveled selling a patent tile machine, covering the states of Indiana, Ohio and New York, and was very successful in this work. He then took a clerkship for E. H. Johnson, which he held for a period of thirteen years, his long retention being an indication of the excellent and satisfactory service he rendered. He subsequently formed a partnership with Martin DUNBAR, and for many years engaged successfully in the general mercantile business, building up a large trade with the surrounding country. He now has one of the largest and most popular stores in this locality, carrying a large and carefully selected line of dry goods, boots, shoes, staple and fancy groceries. His prices are always right, according to his hundreds of regular customers and his trade is constantly growing. He is scrupulously honest in his dealings with his fellow men, and is uniformly courteous. His store is neatly arranged with everything under a superb system, and it is a favorite stopping place, winter and summer, for the county people from all over Clinton county when they come to Colfax.
Mr. Timmons was married in 1886 in Colfax to Junietta Swallow, a native of Indianapolis, where she was reared and educated. She is a daughter of Benjamin and Caroline (MILBURN) SWALLOW. The father was one of the brave sons of the North who fought against the hosts of rebellion in the sixties. The mother and father are both deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Timmons have one daughter, Mrs. Louise GRIGGS.
Politically, Mr. Timmons is a Democrat. Fraternally, he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Knights of Pythias and is active in lodge work, being also a member of the Maccabees and the Woodman of the World. Mrs. Timmons belongs to the Presbyterian church. They have both been laborers for the general good of Colfax and vicinity in every way, and are highly esteemed by a very wide circle of friends and acquaintances. pp. 500 502.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
TIMMONS, John W.
One of the careful and up-to-date farmers of Perry township, Clinton county, and a man who has so ordered his course as to gain the respect and admiration of his fellow men is John Timmons. He has been a close student of the soil, noting its changes as well as the climate changes since he was a boy, and has farmed so skillfully and scientifically that his land has retained its original fertility, and his outlay of labor is annually regarded by handsome crops.
Mr. Timmons was born September 27, 1864. He is a son of John Timmons, Sr., who was a native of Fountain county, Ind. Our subject is descended from a thrifty pioneer family, who did their part in clearing the wilderness. His paternal grandfather came to Indiana from Ohio in a very early day. Our subject's mother was known in her maidenhood as Harriet WYANT, a native of Virginia, and was a daughter of William Wyant, a soldier under Gen. William Henry Harrison in the war of 1812, and who fought at the great Indian battle of Tippecanoe, November 7, 1811. After the war he returned to his home in Virginia, were he continued to reside until 1828, when he built a flat boat, in which he placed his household belongings and his family and drifted down the Kanawha river to the Ohio, and down that stream to Cincinnati, where he sold his boat and purchased a wagon and an ox team and came overland to Indiana, locating in Clinton county, three miles northwest of Colfax. Here he established the future home of the family. William Wyant's wife was a native of Ireland and she always retained a strong love for the old sod.
To John Timmons, Sr., and wife was born the following children: Michael, Ezekiel, Elizabeth,- David, Jane, Sophronia, John W., Jr., Alice and Della. The father of the above named children died at the age of fifty-one years. Politically he was a Democrat, and he and his wife were members of the Methodist church. The mother survived to the advanced age of eighty-one years. The father was a very large man physically, weighing three hundred and twenty-five pounds.
John W. Timmons, Jr., was reared on the old home farm and there he worked hard when a boy, and received his educational training in the common schools of his township. When twenty-two years old he married Ida CHENOWETH, who was born and reared in Clinton county, and here she was educated in the public schools. She is a daughter of William N. Chenoweth, a respected farmer of Perry township. He was born on April 20, 1839, the son of Arthur Chenoweth, a native of Kentucky. William Chenoweth was married at the age of twenty-four years, while living in Montgomery county, Indiana, to Esther DUNBAR, a widow. Of this union one child was born, Ida, wife of Mr. Timmons .
Mrs. Esther CHENOWETH died at the age of twenty-six years, in 1866. Her mother's name was Bowers before her marriage. She was a daughter of Abner BOWERS, an old soldier.
The subject of this sketch has a productive and well improved farm of seventy-five acres, and here he carries on general farming and stock raising successfully. He has a pleasant dwelling and substantial outbuildings, including a garage. He owns a good forty horse power automobile.
The following children leave been born to Mr. and Mrs. Timmons: Lela, wife of Prof. J. SARIG, of Cass county; Walter, Russell, Carl and Eugene.
Mr. Timmons was president of the local telephone company for four years, and its large success was due to his able management. He brought it out of a debt of three hundred and fifty dollars, and soon had it on a money making basis. He is a member of Masonic Lodge, No 473, of which he served as master four years. Mrs. Timmons is a member of the Eastern Star, of which she has been matron for two terms, discharging the duties of her position in a most commendable manner. They are both members of the Christian church of Colfax.
Pages 482 - 483 Source II
Transcribed by Connie
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County, Indiana . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.