W - Z
The biographical articles are listed alphabetically. You can scroll through or use your browsers "find" command to look for particular surnames. Sources are listed at the end of this page.
WEAVER, Oliver P.
A substantial farmer of Johnson township, Clinton
county, Ind., was born in Rush county, same state, September 3,
1846, and remotely is of German extraction. His
grandfather, John WEAVER, was a citizen of Virginia, but one of
the earliest settlers of Rush county, Ind., where he owned 300
acres, and to which he moved from the Old Dominion in a one-horse
wagon, which carried all he possessed in the way of worldly goods.
He was a deacon in the Baptist church, and he and wife ended
their days in Rush county. William V. WEAVER, son of the
above and father of Oliver P., was born in Rush county, Ind.,
February 16, 1822, and was reared a farmer. He owned eighty
acres, which he cultivated with much success. He first
married Susan WILLIAMS, Daughter of John and Jane WILLIAMS, and
after her death, March 16, 1862, he chose for his second spouse
Sarah WALKER. The children born to the first marriage were
Oliver P., John, Calvin, William, Isabel and James; those born to
the second marriage were named Lydia, Martin, Elizabeth and Jesse.
Mr. Weaver was a democrat in politics, and died, in the faith of
the Missionary Baptist church, April 21, 1881. Oliver P. Weaver
has lived on a farm ever since his birth. He received a
good common-school education, to which he has added materially by
study at home. February 15, 1872, he married Miss Eva
HUFFER, daughter of Henry and Jane (GALBRETH) HUFFER, the former
of whom is a retired farmer and is living at Hillisburg, in
Johnson township. In 1877 Mr. And Mrs. Weaver settled on
their present farm of eighty acres of rich fertile land, well
improved in all respects. They are parents of eight
children, named as follows: Lona A., Lula J., Lillie M., Tennie,
Iva M., Roscoe, Cora and the baby. Mrs. Weaver is a member
of the Baptist church, which her husband liberally aids; Mr.
Weaver is a democrat in politics, is a member of the Hillisburg
lodge, No. 550, F. & A. M., in which he has passed all the
chairs, is a dormant member of the I. O. R. M., and he and family
are held in high respect by their neighbors. There is
indeed, no more highly respected family in Johnson township.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
WHARRY, John S.
a progressive farmer of Michigan township, Clinton county, Ind.,
son of James A. Wharry, is a native of the township, and was born
on the home farm August 5, 1872. James A. WHARRY, deceased, a
native of Columbus, Ohio, was born January 24, 1820, son of James
and Margaret (CRANE) WHARRY, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He spent
his early life in woolen mills as a weaver, and soon after
attaining his majority came to Clinton county, where he followed
the carpenter's trade for several years. He married Miss Julia
Ann PRICE, February 25, 1857, daughter of George and Mary Ann (SNUFF)
PRICE, who came from Ohio to this county, were among the early
settlers, and he located in Michigan township, when all was a
dense wilderness, and lived there many years. They died in
Tippecanoe county at an advanced age. After marriage Mr. Wharry
settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his son, James C.
WHARRY. They were the parents of seven children--Marcellus P.,
James C., Margaret N., Cora L., Martha A., John S. and Frank E.
Mr. Wharry was very successful in his chosen occupation, and at
his death, which occurred September 4, 1879, when he was nearly
sixty years of age, he owned 240 acres of land in a high state of
cultivation. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and
affiliated with the democratic party. His wife was a Methodist.
James G. WHARRY was born in Warren township, Clinton county,
January 15, 1859, a son of the preceding. He was reared on a farm
in Michigan township and received a common-school education. He
resided with his parents until their death, then succeeded them
on the farm. He was married September 5, 1880, to Miss Matilda, a
daughter of Barney and Elizabeth (COOK) THOMPSON. After his
mother's death he took charge of the homestead and assumed the
care of his brothers and sisters. Mrs. Wharry is a member of the
Protestant Methodist church; politically Mr. Wharry affiliates
with the democratic party.
John S. WHARRY, the subject proper of this sketch, was married, November 23, 1892, to Miss Luella BRANDON, a sketch of whose parents will be found on another page. On September 17, 1893, the idol of the home, Tressie L., made her appearance. Mr. Wharry is not only a successful agriculturist, but is an equally successful stock raiser. He has ten head of horses, full-blooded Banquo, Hambletonian and Wilkes stock. He owns forty acres of good land, and farms, beside, 160 acres of rented land, and makes fine crops. In politics Mr. Wharry is a stanch democrat. His modest dwelling is a model of neatness and his barn is substantial and commodious, and every surrounding shows Mr. Wharry to be a progressive young man and a farmer that understands his business. Pages 888-889
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
WHITE, George W.
one of the leading farmers of Perry township, Chnton
county, Ind., is descended from German ancestry and was born in
Butler county, Ohio, April 2, 1841 His great-grandfather
came from Germany and settled in Virginia in the time of the
colonies, and later, about 1816, moved to Berks county, Pa. He
fought in the war of the Revolution and did valiant service for
his adopted country. The subject's grandfather, Jacob
WHITE, a native of Berks county, Pa., married a Miss FIDDLER and
reared the following children: Jacob, Benjamin, Mary, Henry, and
Elizabeth. Jacob White, Sr., left his native state a number
of years ago and emigrated to Butler county, Ohio, thence moved
to Indiana, settling first in Wayne county and later in the
county of Clinton. His son, Henry WHITE, father of George W., was
born September 23, 1818, went to Ohio when thirteen years of age,
and, in Butler county, that state, married Mary KAUFFMAN,
daughter of Joseph and Christena (KAYLER) KAUFFMAN, by whom he
had the following children : George W., Catherine, Harriet,
Jacob, and Joseph. Henry White resided near Dayton when
that flourishing city was but a mere village, but, for a number
of years has been a well known and popular citizen of Clinton
county, residing at the present time in the township of Perry.
Both he and his wife, though well advanced in age, are still
quite active and bid fair to live many years longer. They
are devout members of the Lutheran church, in which Mr. WHITE has
held the office of deacon. Joseph KAUFFMAN, father of Mrs.
WHITE, served in the war of 1812 and became a citizen of Clinton
county, Ind., in 1857.
George W. WHITE was reared to manhood on a farm, and after his marriage, which occurred October 19, 1862, with Hannah J., daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (NIHARD) PETER, engaged in agricultural pursuits in Carroll county, Ind., on a farm of 100 acres, where he lived for some years, and in 1883 came to the county of Clinton and purchased his present home in Perry township, owning, at this time, 176 acres of valuable and highly improved land. He is an enterprising and intelligent man, a public-spirited citizen, and possesses the confidence of a large circle of friends in Clinton county, throughout which he is well and favorably known. He is a member of the United Brethren church, in which he holds the office of trustee, and is liberal of his means in the support of his home congregation, and also uses his influence toward the furtherance of all movements of a moral and religious character. Politically Mr. WHITE is a democrat, and, as such takes an active interest in the leading public questions of the day. Mr. and Mrs. White are the parents of the following children: Ida A.; Perry, deceased; Frank; Lenora; Salena, deceased; Charles; Fanny, deceased; Eliza; and Zelpha, deceased. The father of Mrs. WHITE was a farmer of Clinton county and one of its well known early settlers. He came to Indiana in 1831 and developed a farm in Ross township, and died in 1880; his wife died in 1845. The following are the names of his children : Daniel, Franklin, Eli, Susannah, Edward, Matilda, Owen, Leah and Hannah J. Henry Peters was an industrious, energetic man, and the greater part of his life was spent as a member of the Lutheran church. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, married a Miss Kern, and came to Indiana short after its admission to the Union, having been a pioneer of the counties of Clinton and Tippecanoe. Pages 889 & 890.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
WHITE, Melville Bevendge
In the respect that is accorded to men who have fought their own way to success through unfavorable environment we find an unconscious tribute to the intrinsic worth of a character which not only endure the test, but gains new strength through the discipline. The gentleman to whom the biographer now calls the reader's attention was not favored by inherited wealth or the asssitance (sic) of influential friends, but in spite of this, by perseverance, industry and wise economy, he has attained a comfortable station in life, making his influence felt for good in his community of Clinton county, where he is well known by reason of his honorable career and because of the fact that he is numbered among those patriotic sons of the North who assisted in saving the Union's integrity in the dark days of the sixties. Melville B. WHITE was born December 9, 1844, in Bloomingrave, Indiana, and was the son of Alexander and Nancy (TEMPLETON) WHITE. Alexander WHITE was born also in Bloomingrave on July 11, 1816, and he was the son of William and Nancy (SKINNER) WHITE. Alexander WHITE spent practically all of his life in farming, and was very successful in the pursuit of the same. At the time of his death, on August 3, 1905, he possessed one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in Franklin county. He married Nancy TEMPLETON, who was born in Franklin county in 1816, and who died in Wisconsin, where she and her husband had gone in the spring of 1860 in hopes of benefiting her health.
William WHITE was born in Delaware in the latter part of the eighteenth century and came to Indiana before the year 1800, being one of the very first white men to penetrate the forests of this locality and brave the hardships therein. Most of his life was spent in the vocation of farming and he experienced the usual life of the pioneer of the day.
Melville WHITE received a good common school education in the county of his birth. He spent the earIy years of his life on his father's farm and was yet a boy in his teens when the first gun was fired in the Civil war. He enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was attached to the Army of the Potomac, under General Grant. He participated in all of the more important engagements of the Army of the Potomac. In September, 1865, he was given an honorable discharge, at the time holding the rank of corporal of his company. After the close of his military career, Mr. White began farming in Franklin county, which he continued for a couple of years, then conducted a dry goods business at Bloomingrave, Indiana until 1872. He then came to Clinton county, still following the same business, and settled first in Rossville, where he stayed until 1901. He came to Frankfort in that year, and accepted a very lucrative position as cashier of the Central Union Telephone Company, and here he has been since that year.
In politics, Mr. White is a Progressive, and in 1909 was elected as councilman from the third ward of Frankfort, and in this capacity has given very efficient service. Fraternally, Mr. White is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Improved Order of Red Men, and the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a Methodist in religion and has always been a liberal supporter of the church.
In June, 1874, Mr. WHITE was married to Emma C. McCLURE, of Brookville, lndiana, she having been born there May 20, 1847. Two children have been born of this union: Oakley M., of Indianapolis. and Lula R. at home. Pages 436 437.
Source II Transcribed by Connie
WHITEMAN, John one of the
old soldiers now living in Rossville, Clinton county, Ind.
springs from an old American family, his grandfather on the
maternal side having been a soldier in the war of 1812. John
WHITEMAN, grandfather of our subject, was a pioneer of Carroll
county, Ind., and was the father of five children: William,
Patterson, John, Lucinda and Elizabeth. Mr. WHITEMAN was a farmer
and lived to be an old man, and died in Carroll county. William
WHITEMAN, son of above and father of our subject, John, was a
farmer and married Barbara, daughter of Daniel LESLIE, also a
soldier of the war of 1812. To Mr. and Mrs. WHITEMAN were born
three children: Amaretta, John and Elizabeth. Mr. WHITEMAN died
when twenty-six years of age. John WHITEMAN, whose name opens
this sketch. was born in Tippecanoe county, Ind., December 25,
1843, received a common education, and learned to work in the
woolen mills when young. He enlisted, at the age of eighteen, at
La Fayette, Ind., and was enrolled November 2, 1863, as a private
in the Tenth Indiana battery light artillery, Capt. Cox, for
three years, or during the war. He was at the battle of Lookout
Mountain; at Missionary Ridge the battery was held in reserve,
but was present on the field. With the Fifth Indiana battery, he
was in the battles of Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Kenesaw Mountain,
Peach Tree Creek and the battle in which Atlanta fell, and in
many skirmishes, and under fire for three months in this campaign.
After this he returned to the Tenth Indiana battery, was on a
gunboat on the Tennessee river, and was in a battle at Decatur.
Ala.. and many skirmishes on the river. He was taken sick while
in this service, with rheumatism, and was at Bragg's hospital,
Chattanooga, when the war closed, and he was honorably discharged
July 10, 1865, at Indianapolis. He returned home, disabled from
exposure, and has never recovered his health. After the war he
worked in the woolen mills a few years, and married in Warren
county, Ind., Catherine, daughter of Gideon BOOHEE, and to Mr.
and Mrs. WHITEMAN were born three children, who lived to maturity:
Edith, Elizabeth and Bruce. His first wife died in 1889, and he
married, June 16, 1890, Emma A., daughter of Matthias and Bernice
(MUSGROVE) WEIDNER. To Mr. and Mrs. Matthias WEIDNER were born
seven children, six reaching mature years: Francis M., Ida B.,
Mary M., Samuel (deceased at eight years), Martha Jane, Emma and
Retta B. Mr. WEIDNER was a soldier in the Civil war, is yet
living on his farm near Monitor, Tippecanoe county, Ind., and is
a respected citizen. Mr. and Mrs. WEIDNER are members of the
Baptist church, and Mr. WEIDNER is a member of Elliott post, No.
6o, G. A. R., at Dayton, Ind. Bernice MUSGROVE, mother of Mrs.
WHITEMAN, is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (KUNEY) MUSGROVE.
John MUSGROVE, grandfather of Mrs. WHITEMAN, was the father of
six children--Samuel, Seldon and Jacob, who were soldiers in the
Civil war, and. Artemesia, Milton and Bernice. The WEIDNER family
spring from sterling German stock and were Scotch by inter-marriage.
Lewis WEIDNER, great-grandfather of Mrs. WHITEMAN, came from
Germany before the war of the Revolution, settled in Virginia,
and moved to Tennessee. He married in America and was a slave-owner
and farmer in Grainger county. A copy of his last will and
testament is in the possession of Daniel WEIDNER, of Ross
township, Clinton county; it was executed in 1807 in Grainger
county, Tenn. By this will it is shown that his name was Louis
WHITNER, the name having been corrupted to WEIDNER and WIDNER. It
also shows that he had one son, Harvey, who was made executor of
his will, and five daughters: Eve MILLER, Barbara DeVOLT,
Catherine CLARK, Mary COX, and Elizabeth ROLLER. The name of his
wife was Barbara. He left to his heirs 2,000 acres of land on the
Tennessee river in Grainger county, Tenn., and he also left
several negro slaves and a sum of money. He was a carpenter by
trade and left his tools to his son Henry, who was the
grandfather of Mrs. WHITEMAN, and was born in Tennessee, and
married, in that state, Margaret GLICK, and to them were born
Matthias, Lewis, Henry, John, Roller and Michael. Henry WEIDNER
remained in Tennessee until he was an old man. In 1826 he sold
his property and moved with three sons and one daughter-John,
Michael, Roller, and Barbara~to Indiana, and settled in Ross
township. There were probably three other families living in the
township at that time-the families of Sol MILLER, Daniel
UNDERHILL and Peter SINK. The country was a howling wilderness,
with no roads, and the WEIDNERS cut a trail from Dayton, Ind.,
five miles through the woods, and lived the first winter in a log
shanty with no floor. Mr. WEIDNER entered 160 acres of land and
all his children likewise made entries. He was too old to do much
work after he came to the county, but hired his land partly
cleared, and remained here until his death, which occurred at the
age of eighty-seven years. He was a typical American pioneer, and
in his last days became a member of the German Baptist church. He
was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was wounded in the
battle of Trenton and carried the scar on his face to his grave.
Daniel WEIDNER, of Ross township, remembers him well. From Henry,
by his son Roller, descends Mrs. WHITEMAN. Pages
890 - 891.
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
WRIGHT, Newton W. who
owns and operates a good farm of 150 acres in Warren township,
Clinton county, Ind., is one of the self-made men, who, by well
directed and earnest efforts, has worked his way upward from a
humble position to one of affluence. He was born in Augusta
county, Va., September 16, 1848, and is a son of Absalom and
Sophronia (IRWIN) WRIGHT, both of whom were also natives of
Augusta county, and were of Scotch and Irish descent respectively.
The father was born in 1793, and during his early manhood
followed schoolteaching. He afterward learned the carpenter's
trade, which he carried on during the greater part of his life.
His death occurred in 1862, and his wife passed away just two
weeks previously, dying at the same hour. They were the parents
of eleven children-Erasmus J. and James A., both deceased;
William A.; Caroline A.; John H., who was a captain in the
Southern army and is now deceased; Eliza J., of Kansas; Elizabeth
M.; Marion A., deceased; Newton W.; Maria J., and one who died in
Mr. Wright remained at home until the death of his parents, but was left an orphan at the early age of thirteen years, and from that time was forced to make his own way in the world. He engaged in any labor which would yield him a livelihood, and in 1868 came to Indiana, locating in Boone county. In 1873, he came to Clinton county, where he purchased a small tract of land with his hard-earned savings. In 1880, he bought forty acres of his present farm, to which he has since added until he now owns a valuable tract of 150 acres under a high state of cultivation and well improved. Mr. WRIGHT was married December 27, 1877 to Miss Amanda, daughter of Joseph S. and Clarissa A. (TAYLOR) NUNEMAKER, both of whom were natives of Ohio, and were of German and Irish lineage. The father was born February 16, 1821, and on the 1st of October, 1846, married Miss Taylor. His death occurred January 28, 1874, but his wife still resides in Kansas. Ten children graced their union, namely: Lavina J. and Elizabeth, both deceased; Clarissa A., wife of John M. CLARK; Daniel; John T., deceased; Mrs. WRIGHT; Joseph S.; Rachel, deceased; George W., and Martha A., wife of Michael LAYMAN. To Mr. and Mrs. WRIGHT were born four children~Cora A., born October 2, 1878; Augustus W., born May 26, 1880; Orrill G., born December 24; 1881; and Russell D., born October 31, 1883. The mother of this family was born September 14, 1855. She is a member of the Methodist church, and a most estimable lady. Mr. Wright votes with the democracy, but has never been an office seeker, preferring to give his entire time and attention to his business interests, in which he has met with a good and well merited success. Page 895
Source I Transcribed by Chris Brown
YOUNG, John L. was
born in Jessamine county, Ky., February 15, 1849, being one of
the family of five children of George P. and Nancy Young, both of
whom are now dead. The other children of the family are William H.
Young of La Fayette, Decalvins K. Young, who lives on a farm in
Boone county, near Colfax, George E. Young, also a farmer near
Colfax, and Mrs. L. W. LOVELESS of La Fayette. When he was only
three years of age Mr. Young's parents moved to Clinton county,
Ind., and located on a farm about two and one-half miles northwest
of Colfax. Here he lived and worked on the farm, attended the
district school until young manhood, when he attended the
Frankfort high school, which was then under the superintendency
of Hon. E. H. Staley.July 19, 1871, Mr. YOUNG was married to Miss
Angeline S. CARVER, of Perry township, Clinton county, Ind. She
is a daughter of Miles A. CARVER, and was born in Ohio, January
28, 1830. Her father was born November 7, 1816, in Chenango
county, N. Y., and is descended from Gov. John Carver of
Massachusetts. After his marriage Mr. Young lived on the farm
until he was twenty-eight years of age. During his residence on
the farm he read law for years and formed that comprehensive idea
of its practice he has found so useful since. To Mr. and Mrs.
Young there have been born five children, Mary D., Ida F., Nellie
B., Edith 0. and George L., all of whom are living except Ida F.,
who died when but six months old.
In October, 1874, Mr. Young was elected trustee on the republican ticket, and reelected on the same ticket in the fall of 1876, and served until the end of the term for which he was elected, two years. While trustee of his township he was instrumental in establishing the graded school in the town of Colfax, which school is the pride of the community. He continued to live in Perry township until the summer of 1879, when in July of that year he bought of Aaron H. Southard the five acre tract of land upon which he yet lives lying across Clinton and Walnut streets, just east of the city limits, paying therefor $700, and erected thereon a neat cottage, to which place he moved on the 9th day of October of that year. At that time it was "out in the country" so far that one could scarcely see the town. The streets and sidewalks now run to his home, which is situated in a beautiful sugar tree grove. In the spring of 1880 he formed a law partnership with William E. Ross, and opened an office on the south side of the square, over the J. H. Paris dry-goods store. Their partnership continued until February 18, 1881, when the firm was merged into the partnership of Hockman, Ross & Young, Messrs. Ross and Young having bought the two-thirds interest in the abstract of titles to the lands of Clinton county, then owned by Mr. Hockman. The partnership continued until the twenty-first day of October, 1882, when Mr. Hockman retired. leaving the business to Ross & Young. In the spring of 1884 Mr. Ross retired, and was succeeded by William R. Hines in his interest in the firm, books and business, since which time this latter partnership has continued under the firm name of Young & Hines, being conducted principally, however, by Mr. Young, Mr. Hines being one of the principal contractors in the country, and giving most of his attention thereto. The abstract record is kept in perfect condition by Mr. Young, who employs two lady clerks to assist him in his rapidly increasing business. This abstract of title is compiled with all the care and skill known to that branch of the legal profession, Mr. Young giving it his personal supervision. Every deed, mortgage and other written evidence of title recorded in the Recorder's office of Clinton county having been carefully copied and transferred to their abstract record, all the work is then verified. The abstracts of title prepared by Mr. Young are well known all over the county to be correct and reliable, no man ever having lost a cent or being misled in the least on account of inaccuracies. Socially, Mr. Young is a pleasant man to meet, but he is a firm believer in the old maxim, "Business first, pleasure afterwards". He is a fine example of what close application and indomitable energy will bring success.
Ephraim JANUARY, the father of Ann (JANUARY) YOUNG, who was the mother of George P. Young and the grandmother of John L. Young, was born in Pennsylvania, and was the grandson of a French Huguenot. The persecution which drove the emigrant from his native land confiscated his estate, which was said to be very large. Ephraim JANUARY married Sarah McCONNELL, near McConnelstown, Pa., while they were both very young. In 1780 they emigrated to Kentucky, and, passing down the Ohio river with several other families, in small flat boats fitted up to resist the attacks of the Indians, landed safely at Louisville in the spring. They took their little property to a small fort called Spring Station, six miles from Louisville, and remained there six months. They then removed to the fort at Harrodsburg, Ky., where they lived twelve months, and afterward to the fort at Lexington, and remained there till the fall of 1783. Such was the unsettled condition of the country at that period, and the character of the savage warfare waged by the Indians, that a family was only safe when inside of a fortification.
Andrew McCONNELL, the grandfather of Ann (JANUARY) YOUNG, was killed at the battle of the Blue Licks, which occurred in the summer of 1782. Although that battle resulted disastrously to the emigrants, additional forces pressed upon the Indians and drove them out of Kentucky, and an increase of emigration in the course of a year so checked the incursions of the Indians that families were justified in making locations of their own in the neighborhood of Lexington and some other parts of the territory. Ephraim January accordingly obtained a preemption to 1,000 acres of land in the county of Jessamine, built a small log cabin on it in the midst of the forest, and moved his family, consisting of his wife and two young children, into it in the year 1783. His nearest neighbor was six miles distant. There he raised a family of eleven children, five sons and six daughters, and there the father and mother lived and died, he in 1823, in the sixty-fourth year of his age, she in 1850, in her eighty-seventh year. They were both persons of ardent piety, belonging to the Associate Reformed, a branch of the Presbyterian church, and gave great care to the religious training of their children. The family was large, and the father unable to provide capital to set up his sons in business. They all remained at home and worked on the farm until they were seventeen or eighteen years old. Each was then suffered to select some mechanical branch of business.
Ann JANUARY was born January 31, 1788, and was married three times, her first marriage being with John FOWLER, and from this marriage there were two children born, William A., and Eliza Jane, the latter having died in early life, and the former in an early day located with his family in Clinton county, Ind., and became one of its most prominent citizens. Ann (January) Fowler, after the death of her former husband, was married to William YOUNG, of Jessamine county, Ky., and from this marriage there were born five children, to-wit: Ephraim J., George P., Andrew M., Haydon R., and Ann. William Young, the father, died in the year 1826, and the mother was married to Alex BLAIR. From this union there were no children. She died June 11, 1862, and was buried in the cemetery of her native county, at the small town of Keene.
George P. YOUNG was born on the twelfth day of November, 1817, in Jessamine county, Ky. When he was about nine years old he lost his father, and was left to care for himself. He was, however, possessed of a large amount of courage and went to the field at meager wages. At this time slave labor was about the only kind of labor known in Kentucky, but he continued to work beside the black man until he was possessed of sufficient judgment to become an overseer, to which business he was called while a young man and continued to follow for several years. He was married to Nancy LANCASTER of Jessamine county, Ky., on the eleventh day of April,1839. To this marriage were born five children, viz: Mary E. S., William H., Decalvius K., John L. and George E., all of whom are now living. In religion he was a Methodist and his wife a Baptist in belief. He moved with his family to Clinton county, Ind., and located on a farm about two and one-half miles northwest of Colfax, on the twenty-third day of September, 1852. Here he lived and reared his family, and here he died on the tenth day of January, 1875. Nancy (YOUNG) LANCASTER was the daughter of John and Hannah Lancaster. She was born in Jessamine county, Ky., on the twenty-fourth day of December, 1814, and died on the twenty-sixth day of April, 1886, and was one of a family of ten children, to-wit: Susan M., Sarah, Polly, Patsey, Samuel C., Mason S., Levi, Nancy, Jane, and John N. Lancaster. Her father, John LANCASTER, came to Kentucky in an early day from England. He was born on the twenty-fourth day of January, 1774. He was married to Hannah SINGLETON, and settled in Jessamine county about eight miles from Lexington, and was the owner of considerable real estate. The stone house that he erected on his farm in 1811 is still standing. He and his wife in religious belief were Baptists. He died on the twenty-seventh day of April, 1862, and was buried on his farm. Hannah (LANCASTER) SINGLETON was the daughter of Manoah SINGLETON, who came to Jessamine county, Ky., from Virginia. She was born on the eighth day of February. 1778, and died on the twenty-eighth day of July, 1868, and was buried beside her husband.
Pages 895-898 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
YOUNG, Robert O., M.D.
ROBERT O. YOUNG, M.D., of Warren Township, Clinton County, Ind. who for many years was successfully engaged in the practice of medicine, but is now living retired, was born on the twelfth of May, 1814, in Butler county, Ohio, and is a son of Robert and Jane (OGLE) YOUNG. The parents were both natives of Dauphin county, Pa., but the father came of an old English family, and the mother was of Irish descent. By trade, Robert Young was a tailor, but on emigrating westward to Butler county, Ohio, in 1801, he entered 160 acres of land and turned his attention to farming. This property he continued to cultivate and improve until his death, which occurred in 1878. In an early day he did all the carpentering and shoemaking for himself and family. His wife was called to her final rest in 1876. This worthy couple were the parents of ten children, but the doctor is the only one now living. The others were Andrew W. , Alexander P., Sarah, James, John, Jane, Nancy, Mary and Howard. Mrs. YOUNG was a cousin of Robert FULTON, the inventor of the steamboat. Doctor YOUNG is so well known throughout this community that he needs no special introduction to our readers. His early life was spent in the usual manner of farmer lads, the summer months being devoted to work upon the farm, while in the winter season he gave his time toward acquiring an education. In 1841 he took up the study of medicine under Dr. MENDENHALL, and in 1843 entered the Ohio Medical college of Cincinnatti, from which he was graduated in the class of 1845. He then began the practice of his chosen profession near his old home in Butler county, Ohio, but in 1845 came to Indiana, locating near Sedalia. Subsequently he purchased his present farm, and then opened an office in Clinton County, where he successfully engaged in the practice of medicine for thirty years. His skill and ability won him a liberal patronage, and he did a good business. As his capitol increased, he invested it in land, and on his retirement from business he owned 900 acres, which he has since divided among his children. In all his practice he never refused to trust a man, but treated all alike. On the twenty first of March, 1848, the doctor was joined in wedlock with Miss Margaret N. ROBINSON, daughter of Andrew and Grizzella ROBINSON, who were natives of Pennsylvania. They had five children -- Robert, now living in Owen township; Louisa, wife of Alexander H. COAPSTICK, of Warren township; Mary, Milton and Hulda, who are now deceased. The mother of this family died March 17, 1863, and in November, 1865, the doctor married Susanna COMPTON, daughter of Archibald COMPTON. Both Mr. and Mrs. YOUNG are members of the Presbyterian church. In politics he is a republican, and in an early day served as treasurer of Warren township. He is numbered among the honored pioneer settlers of the county, having long been identified with its history, and throughout the community is held in the highest regard.
Pages 898-899. Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
DAVID YUNDT, a well known farmer of Owen township, Clinton county, Ind. was born in Allentown, Lehigh county, Pa., April 3, 1823, and is of German lineage, the family having been founded in America by the great-grandfather of our subject. George Yundt, son of this founder, was born in Lehigh county, and became an extensive land owner, through industry and perseverance. He supported the democratic party and afterward became a whig. His death occurred at the age of eighty years. Both he and his wife were members of the German Reform church, and in their family were eight children: John, Abraham, Jonathan, Daniel, Henry, Elizabeth, Catherine and Saloma. George Yundt, father of David, was born April 3, 1785, and at the age of eighteen wedded Mary Saloma NEWHART, a maiden of sixteen summers. The following children graced their union-Henri and David, who died in early life; Paul, Thomas, David, Francis, Mary, Rebecca and Eliza. The father secured 120 acres of land near Allentown, and extensively engaged in farming and stock dealing. He and his wife belonged to the German Reform church, in which he served both as deacon and elder. He voted with the whig party. His death occurred at the age of seventy-seven, and his wife passed away at the age of seventy.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was reared on the farm and received such educational advantages as the common schools afforded. At the age of twenty-four he started westward and spent two years in Seneca county, Ohio. The following winter was passed in his old home, but in the spring he came with a neighbor's family to Clinton county. When quite young he wished to see something of the country, and his father gave him $50 for the purpose. He then visited New York, Rochester, Buffalo and other cities, and worked for some two years before returning home; when his father asked him what he had done, he had $180 to show. On reaching Indiana he purchased forty acres of land for $300, and after selling it for $500, bought the eighty acres on which he now resides. He then purchased 160 acres, and also became the owner of 320 acres in Kansas. He has ever manifested excellent business and executive ability, sagacity and foresight. At one time he owned more than 500 acres of land and now has 400 acres.
In Pennsylvania, in 1857, Mr. Yundt married Louisa WEAVER, who was born in 1840, and is a daughter of Thomas and Lucy (SHAFER) WEAVER of the Keystone state. Their union has been blessed by the following children. Uriah, who was born in 1858, and married Emma LONE ; Sylvester, born in 1860; Silas, who was born in 1862, and married Edith GRAY . and after her death wedded Maggie HARRINGTON; Joseph, who was born in 1864, and married Clara. WEAVER; William, who was born in 1866, and wedded May COLE; Ida, who died at the age of twelve years; Alice, who was born in 1870, and is the wife of Clyde BUNNELL; Rosa, who was born in 1872, and is the wife of Frank MABBITT, and Wilson, who was born in 1874. The mother died in June, 1890, and her loss was deeply mourned. Mr. Yundt is an active member and has long been elder of the German Reform church. He is an active republican, and has been a delegate to the county conventions. His home is a fine frame residence, and up on the farm are barns and outbuildings, which are models of convenience. Everything denotes the thrift and enterprise of the owner, who has prospered.
pages 899-900 Source I
Transcribed by Chris Brown
Source I: A Portrait And Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Ind., ... Containing Biographical Sketches of Many Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States, and Biographies of the Governors of Indiana. Published 1895 by A.W. Bowen & Co. in Chicago.
Source II : History of Clinton County . With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. By Hon. Joseph Claybaugh. Published 1913 by A. W. Bowen & Company Indianapolis, Indiana
© Connie Rushing 1998/2001 © Chris Brown 1998/2001
Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. This message must appear on all copied material. All commercial use requires permission of the author.