These pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation

by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this

material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of

the contributor.

 

This is a true and accurate copy of the document on file with the Indiana State Archives Commission of Public Records and posted on this site with its permission. Copies should be ordered from the Archives. This is its copyrighted material.

DEKALB COUNTY AND ITS TOWNS (Business Directory)

1895

 

AUBURN

Auburn, the county seat of DeKalb County, is located in the central part of the same, and has a population of about 3,300. It is one of the prettiest little places in Northern Indiana, and while it is not under city government, yet every citizen is wide-awake in keeping abreast with cities much its superior in size. Its streets and alleys are kept clean the year Ďround, and as the drainage is good the roads are seldom muddy. An electric light system makes daylight out of darkness, and the many excellent wells (some artesian) furnish the entire place with an abundance of water both for domestic and factory use. Auburn is one of the leading manufacturing towns for its size in the State, becoming famous by the many high-grade vehicles that are being turned out yearly. One thing that helps to make this a manufacturing town is its excellent shipping facilities, being surrounded by railroads that are direct routes to all parts of the United States. Branches of the Lake Shore and Wabash railroads pass through the city, while the main lines of the Baltimore & Ohio and Lake Shore can be easily reached, as they both pass through the county. The schools are governed by a corps of excellent teachers and board of directors. The business blocks and residences are a credit to the place. In short, Auburn is a hustling little place where anyone can find labor and plenty of opportunities to invest their capital in a profitable manner. KNOOP & Miner, Publishers

ATTORNEYS

Charles E. Emmanuel,

Attorney-at-Law,

Main Street, opposite courthouse

Established 1877

W. L. Penfield,

Attorney-at-Law,

Office in courthouse Residence Main

Street

Established 1873

Hartman & Hartman,

Attorneys-at-Law,

Main Street.

Established 1873

D. Y. Hussellman,

Attorney-at-Law,

Main Street.

 

Baxter & Brown, John W. Baxter, Charles M. Brown,

Attorney-at-Law,

Corner of Seventh and Cedar Streets.

Est. 1893

Price D. West,

Attorney-at-Law, Special attention given to Collections and Loans

Corner of Seventh and Main streets over Farmerís Bank.

Established 1890

F. L. Welsheimer,

Attorney-at-Law, Abstracting and Loans

West of Courthouse

Established 1892

Roby, Shuman & Link, Franks S. Roby, John F. Shuman and Daniel M. Link

Attorneys-at-Law

Corner of Main and Seventh Streets

Established 1894

James E. Pomeroy,

Attorney-at-Law and attention given to collections, loans and fire insurance

Office on Seventh Street in Yesbera Block

Established 1894

McClellan, Garwood & McClellan, C. A. O. McClellan, D. A. Garwood and Charles McClellan

Attorneys-at-Law. Notary and Stenographer in office.

Location: DeKalb Bank Building, Waterloo. First National Bank Building, Auburn

Established 1862

J. E. & J. H. Rose,

Attorneys at Law

Ninth Street South of Public Square

Established 1863

Rickel & Sprott,

Attorneys at Law Real Estate and Loan Brokers

7th & Main

 

BAKERIES AND RESTAURANTS

Baker & Bauer E. Baker & C.L. Bauer

Bakery Confectionery and Restaurant. Light groceries

Main Street opposite courthouse.

Established 1870

Thomas Bros., W. A. & R. L.

Model Bakery & Grocery, wholesale and retail. Fancy Baked Goods a specialty.

No. 65 Main Street

Established 1895.

The Home Restaurant, W. R. Hidy, Proprietor

Dealer in Staple and Fancy Groceries, Foreign and Domestic, Fruits, Confectionery, Canned Goods, Choicest brands of Tobacco and Cigars

18 West Seventh Street

Established 1892.

Cory Shugers,

Lunch Room and Cigars, Tobacco and Confectionery

10 West Seventh Street

Established 1889

Union Bakery, George Clark, Proprietor.

Fresh baked Bread, Pies, Cakes, Etc. every day

15 Seventh Street

Established 1895

Anna Russell

Restaurant, Boarding and Lodging

Main Street

Established 1894

BANKS

Farmersí Bank, Albert Robbins, President: J. C. Henry, Vice President, A. C. Robbins, Cashier

 

 

Established 1883

First National Bank, C. A. O. McClellan, President, J. A. Garwood Vice President, Charles McClellan, Cashier

Capital and Surplus $60,000

Corner of Main and Fourth Street

Established 1874

BARBERS

George Grund, Barber

Proprietor of the leading shop of Auburn

8 West Seventh Street

Established 1876

C. H. Pommert, Barber

Proprietor of the first-class Tonsorial Parlors

20 West Seventh Street

Established 1877

Thomas Proctor, Barber

The traveling public especially solicited

South Main Street opposite Wabash depot

Established 1893

McDowell Bros., W. H. & E. McDowell,
Barbers

A nice haircut and a smooth shave

Eighth Street

Established 1887

William Edgington, Barber

 

South Main Street

Established 1873

W. F. Miller, Barber

 

Main Street

Established 1887

BOOTS AND SHOES

J. N. Wilson & Son, J. N. and A. N. Wilson

Dealers in Boots and Shoes (Ad on front cover "BUY YOUR

SHOES

Of WILSON, Shoe Man,

Auburn, In"

20 East Seventh Street

Established 1889

Raut & Co., C. H. Raut and U. S. Raut

Dealers in Boots, Shoes and Rubber Goods

7 East Seventh Street

Established 1889

William Crane,

Shoe Store

Corner Seventh and Main Streets

Established 1893

DENTISTS

S.B. Johnston, Dentist

The oldest Dentist in town, All dental work of the best

Corner Main and Fourth Streets. Residence the same

Established 1885

H. Darling, D.D. S,

Surgeon Dentist. Graduate of the Chicago College of Dental Surgery

South Main Street, opposite Courthouse. Butler every Friday

Established 1892

DRY GOODS, CLOTHING AND MERCHANT TAILORING

Schaab & Murphy, E S. Schaab and A. Murphy

Clothing, Gentsí Furnishing Goods, Boots, Shoes, Hats, Caps. Etc.

West Main Street opposite courthouse

Established 1886

Bishop & Lackey, George A. Bishop and George W. Lackey

Dry Goods, Carpets, Notions, Millinery Department. A fancy stock of the latest styles. Note: Ad states: Better Dress Goods, underwear, hosiery, furs and cloaks, Cheep prices on cottons, Blankets. We have the finest show rooms in DeKalb County, also dome of the most courteous salespeople."

Main Street

Established 1893

Mrs. M. Jones & Son, Mrs. M. Jones and C. H. G. Jones

Dry Goods and Notions and

Gentís Furnishing Goods

South Main Street

Established 1880

Globe Clothing and Shoe Company, P. Finklestein and M. Guggenheim,

Dealers in Clothing, Shoes, Hats and Gentís Furnishing Goods.

24 East Seventh Street

Established 1895

Peter Young

Merchant Taylor All work first-class and at prices to suit the times

16 West Seventh Street

Established 1880

J. H. Yesbera

Dealer in Clothing, Hats, Caps, and Gentís Furnishing Goods. Merchant Tailoring a specialty. Note Ad States: "We carry the most complete line of Clothing and Furnishings for men, youth and children in Northern Indiana. Our line of piece goods for Tailor Made Garments covers all the latest patterns in Imported and Domestic Worsteds and Cheviots. Auburnís Popular Merchant Tailor, Clothiera and Furnisher."

East Seventh Street North of courthouse

Established 1876.

Schaab Bros,. C. A. & W. H. Schaab

Dry goods, Clothing, Carpets, Etc.

South Main Street

Established 1885

DRUG STORES

Robbins & McCord, E. L. Robbins and M. B. McCord, Druggists

Drugs, Medicines, Toilet Articles and Stationery. The leading Soda Fountain in the city.

No. 7 North Main Street

Established 1887

John Fischler & Son, John Fischler and E. M. Fischler, Druggists

 

26 South Main Street, opposite Swineford House

Established 1894

F. E. Davenport, Druggist

 

Main Street,

Established 1870?

FEED STORES

J. W. Platter & Son, J. W. and J. E. Platter.

Dealers in Farm and Garden Seeds and Feed for stock and poultry

Ninth Street South of courthouse

Established 1895

T. C. Ford,

Feed Store

Sixth Street

Established 1890

FURNITURE

Schaab Furniture Company, C. A. and W. H. Schaab and Wm. Crane.

Furniture and Undertaking

No. 8 Main Street

Established 1891.

C. C. Shaffer & Co,. C. C. Shaffer and F. T. Shaffer.

Furniture and Undertaking

Established 1861

GENERAL STORES

Bates & Son., F. S. & A. W. Bates

Novelty Store, Leaders in Hardware, Binding Twine, Gentís Furnishing Goods and Hats and Caps.

No. 67 South Main Street

Established 1895

Rollins Bros., C. J. and W. E. Rollins

General Store

Main Street

Established 1895

GROCERIES

M. E.. Garrett,

Dealer in Staple and Fancy Groceries. Fine Fruits a Specialty, Cigars and Tobacco

Established 1888

Ira Brandon,

Grocery, Confectionery and Bakery Goods. Everything fresh. No stale goods

North Main Street

Established 1890

John Kruger

Grocery, Meats, Gentís Furnishing Goods. Queensware, Crockery

South Main Street

Established 1877

Hebel Bros, John & Michael Hebel.

Groceries, Meats, Fresh, Salted and Smoked: Bakery Goods

Corner Main and Seventh Streets

Established 1880

I. H. Nill,

Groceries and Provisions of all kinds

South Main Street

Established 1872

Neff & Weeks D. Neff and E. Weeks

Fancy Groceries of all kinds, Tobacco and cigars

Main Street

Established 1892

Rawlston Bros. A. J. and G. M. Rawlston

Grocers,

South Main Street

Established 1882

Frank A. Hoff,

Dealer in Groceries and General Merchandise

17 North Seventh Street

Established 1878

HARDWARE, FARM IMPLEMENTS AND BUGGIES

Pioneer Hardware Co., J. L. Davis, Proprietor

General Hardware, Plows, Harrows, Stoves and Ranges, Sash and Doors, Plumbing and Tinwork Materials, Pumps, Paints and Oils

Established 1865 (1850 began, J. L. Davis took over from brother in 1860ís)

J. Beuret Hardware,

North Main Street

Established 1869

B. C. Zeigler,

Farm Implements

North Main Street

Established 1893

Brown, Culbertson & Boland, W. B. Brown, H. R. Culbertson, and M. Boland

Dealers in Hardware, Farm Machinery and Buggies

East Seventh Street

Established 1884

Moore & Baker, S. F. Moore and A. H. Baker

Dealers in Agricultural Implements of all kinds. It will pay you to call and see us.

Ninth Street South of courthouse

Established 1895

McDowell & Carter, Eugene McDowell and Alvin Carter

Dealers in Buggies and the Auburn

Wind Mill.

Ninth Street

Established 1895

HOTELS

Swineford House, G. H. Forkner, Manager

First-class Hotel. Rates $2.00 per day. Heated through with hot water and hot air. Three sample rooms on first floor

Corner of North and Main Streets

Established 1874

Watson Hotel, Col. E. A. Watson, Prop.

Rates $1.00 per day. Fine accommodations. Best of everything. Livery in connection

S. Main Street near Wabash Depot

Established 1887

D. W. Jenner

Central House

Seventh Street

Established 1889

Hollister House. S. Hollister

Hotel

South Main Street

Established 1876

Glazier Hotel, C. P. Glazier Prop.

Hotel

Corner Seventh and Cedar Streets

Established 1893

INSURANCE, LOANS, ETC.

E. L. Casebeer

Life Insurance, Loans and Real Estate Agent. Endowment Insurance at "Life Rates" a specialty

Cor.. Main and Seventh Streets, over Farmerís Bank

Established 1886

B. M. Hastings,

Fire Insurance Agent. Fire insurance promptly placed on all kinds of town or farm property. Nothing but the "best" Companies.

Office over Farmerís Bank

Established 1889

W. H. Kuhn, Assistant Superintendent of the branch office of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. of New York

The Metropolitan leads the world as an Insurance Company. Over 4,000,000 policies in force now. They write insurance on lives from one year to seventy and from $12 to $25,000.

Branch office over Rautís Shoe Store, Auburn, In.

JEWELERS

D. A. Hodge, Jeweler

All Fancy Jewelry, Silverware, Watches, Clocks and Fancy China. Repairing a Specialty.

Kiblinger Building Corner Main and Seventh Sts.

Established 1892

F.J. Yesbera, Jeweler

Main Street

Established 1884

LIVERY, FEED AND SALE BARN

Kutzner & Meyers, I. S. Kutzner and D. N. Myers

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn, Buggies, Road Wagons and Carriages for sale

Cor. Jackson and Sixth Sts.

Established 1894

A. J. Trout,

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn

Cedar Street

Established 1883

Walters & Johnson, Cyrus Walters and J. Johnson

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn

Corner Jackson and Fifth Streets

Established 1894

Wm. Little, Proprietor

Of Farmerís Feed Barn. Good care given to horses placed in my barn

Cedar Street, South of Courthouse.

Established 1890

MANUFACTURERS

E. Freygang

Manufacturer and dealer in hand-made Harness and everything found in a first-class harness shop.

Corner of Cedar and Ninth streets, South of courthouse.

Established 1890

H. E. Richey,

Manufacturer of Fine Carriage Work, Piano and Organ Wagons, Organ Trucks, Straps, Etc., also Carriage and Wagon Repairing, Horse Shoeing etc.

Cedar St,. South of Public Square

Established 1888

E. T. Hull

Harness-maker Repairing neatly done

Main Street

Established 1893

Zimmerman Mfg. Co.

Buggies, Carriages and Wind Mills. Wagon Hubs. The Monarch Wind Mill. Capacity of 20 to 25 vehicles a day

Established 1875

"White Wave Mfg. Co."

White Wave Washing Powder, a new discovery that beats the world

West Fifth St. At L. S. & M. S. R.R.

Established 1895

Henry Shull

Wagon-Maker

Main Street

Ober & Broderick, A. J. Ober and Thomas Broderick.

Saw Mill. Staves and Heading, Building Material of all kinds.

On Lake Shore Railroad

Established 1889

W. H. Kiblinger, W. H. McIntyre and. S. C. Snyder

Wholesale Carriage Manufacturers.

Office corner Eighth and Jackson Streets

Established 1880

Auburn Foundry and Machine Works, J. W. Baxter, President, C. H. Hanna, Secretary and Treasurer

Manufacturers of Engines and Boilers and Wood-Working Machinery, Also Designers of Special Machinery

On Wabash tracks at foot of Main and Jackson Sts

Established 1880 Incorporated 1888.

A. B. Nickey & Sons, A.B.,S. M. and W. E. Nickey

Manufacturing and wholesale dealers in Hardwood Lumber.

Office on South Main Street

Established 1889

Eckhart Carriage Co., Charles and F. E. Eckhart, Proprietors

Manufacturers of Fine Carriages and Buggies for the wholesale trade.

One-half mile east of courthouse

Established 1874.

John Treesh,

Cement Walks of the best kind. Better than natural stone. Cements for sale

Established 1883

E. M. Bishop,

Manufacturer of Cigars

No. 6 Seventh Street

Established 1889

Eagle Roller Mills, Isaac O. Bachtel

Manufacturer of Full Roller Flour

East Seventh Street

Established 1865

W. Sheffer & Co., W. Sheffer and C. E. Rainier

Manufacturer of Harness

No. 22 East Seventh Street

Established 1875

Auburn Flouring Mill, G. L. Hilt, Proprietor

Manufacturer of "Hiltís Best" Flour and dealer in all kinds of Feed

Jackson Street

Established 1850

MEAT MARKETS

J. W. Sheffer, Butcher

Fresh Smoked and Salted Meats

Main Street, Opposite courthouse

Established 1892

Liegthy & McNabb, Bennett Leighty and Wm. McNabb

Dealers in Fresh and Salted Meats

Shop: "Yellow Front" on Main Street; south end on South Main Street

Established 1893

Joseph Ramier, Butcher

Fresh, Salted and Smoked Meats.

Main Street

Established 1879

MILLINERS

Shull-Askey, Milliner

A full line of the latest Millinery Goods always on hand; also a line of Ladies Toilet Articles

North Main Street

Established 1893

Cowan Sisters,

Milliners and dealers in everything in the Millinery line

North Main Street

Established 1886

NEWSPAPERS

Auburn Courier, James A. Barnes Editor and Proprietor

Publishes daily and weekly. The Weekly Courier is a Democratic paper with 1,325 circulation Being the leading paper of the county, its advertising space is the best.

Office corer of Main and 7th Streets in the Kiblinger Block

The Weekly established January 1, 1871

The Auburn Dispatch, Management of R. H. Weamer Editor and George W. Gordon Publisher and Proprietor.

It is the leading Republican newspaper in DeKalb County. The Dispatch is making a wonderful advancement in journalism. It has the larges circulation and is, of course, the leading advertising sheet in the country

Office north of the Public Square

Is now 21 years old.

PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS

Drs. Swartz & Swartz, D. J. and Vesta M. Swartz. Physicians and Surgeons

Proprietors of Auburn Sanitarium. A limited number of person desiring to take a course of Baths or Massage, or requiring medical or surgical treatment, will be furnished with rooms and board.

Main Street

Established 1860

Dr. F.M. Hines,

Physician and Surgeon

North Main Street

Established 1892

Dr. Nusbaum,

Physician and Surgeon

Corner of Main and Seventh Streets

Established 1888

Drs. Matheny & Hines, T. J. Matheny and L. A. Hines

Physician and Surgeon

West Ninth Street, Residence, South Main Street

Established 1894

D. A. Sebring, M. D.

Physician and Surgeon

North Main Street

Established 1875

Dr. W. W. Carey

Physician and Surgeon

Corner Seventh and Main Streets

Established 1895

I. O. Buchtel, M. D.

Homeopathic, Physician and Surgeon.

Office over Madden Bros.: Marble Works, on Seventh Street

Established 1889

REPAIR SHOPS

Scott & Baker, J. H. Scott and H. F. Baker

Wagon and Repair Shop. All kinds of Blacksmithing. Scientific Horse Shoeing

Cor. Jackson and Fifth St.

Established 1895

James Mahan,

Blacksmithing and general repairing. Scientific Horseshoeing a specialty.

Corner of Jackson and Sixth streets

Established 1895

E. A. Benedict,

Dealer in Bicycles and Sundries, and proprietor of Bicycle Repair Shop. Morgan and Wright tires sold by me. Note Advertisement states: "I do Nickle and Enamiling in the best possible manner"

East Ninth Street

Established 1887

John Knoder,

Scientific Horse-Shoer, Blacksmith and General Repairer. I have a complete line of tools for gumming and filing saws and also for repairing guns, etc.

East Seventh Street, opposite Eagle Flouring Mills

Established 1879.

MISCELLANEOUS

L. J. Miller

Lake Shore Elevator. Dealer in all kinds of Grain and Seeds

Fifth St. On Lake Shore R. R.

Madden Bros., A. W., J.E. and C.E. Madden.

Dealers in all kinds of Cemetery Work and Building Material Dressed and Polished Granite and Iron Fencing.

Corner of Seventh and Jackson St.

Established 1880

A. Lewis & Co., A. and Alice Lewis

Lumber, Laths, Shingles, Lime, Cement, Plastering, Hair, Etc.

W. Fifth St at L. S. & M. S. R. R.

Established 1874

J. G. Clapp,

Photographer and dealer in Moldings and

Enlarged Portraits Advertisement states they make the finest and Best Photos in DeKalb County. Make no mistake, but leave your order for Family Groups, Views of your find Horses, Cattle, Etc. Pictures Enlarged in Crayon and Water Color Etc. at lowest prices.

Established 1890

John Ray,

Shoe Repair Repairing neatly done

South Main Street

Established 1894

J. A. Potte,

Shoemaker, Boots and Shoes made to order. Repairing neatly done

Eighth Street

Established 1868

M. B. Willis, Jr..

News dealer Station r and agent for the Rambler and all cheap Wheels

16 East Seventh Street, first door east of post office

Established 1892

J. F. Aber & Co.,

Florist. Cut Flowers and Floral

Designs. Spring Specialties, Cannas, Tuberoses, Begonias and Bedding Plants. All orders in and out of the city promptly attended to

70 S. Main Street

Established 1891

Jacob Walburn,

Justice of the Peace and agent for the Phoenix Fire Insurance Co.

Corner of Jackson and Seventh Streets

Established 1872

Auburn Steam Laundry, A. A. Lane & Co. Proprietors, A. A. Lane and N. E. Ensley

First class Steam Laundry. Work guaranteed to be satisfactory.

Ninth Street, South of courthouse

Established 1895

John H. Weaver

Contractor and Builder. All kinds of Carpenter Work, Roofing and Slating done on short notice.

Shop: East Seventh Street.

Established 1871

D. M. Fitch,

Veterinary Surgeon and Dentist

Corner Eleventh and Cedar Streets, Two Streets South of Public Square

Established 1891

Rogers and Stafford, A. J. Rogers and J. K. Stafford

Dealers in all kinds of Musical Instruments

18 North Main Street

Established 1895

H. C. Trentman,

Dealer in Cigars, Tobacco,
Confectionery and Stationery

West Seventh Street

Established 1895

Olds Bros., J. W. and A. B. Olds

Dealers in Queensware an all kinds of Novelties

18 East Seventh Street

Established 1892

AUBURN JUNCTION

Is a suburb of Auburn, about one mile and a half from the Courthouse, and is the junction of the Baltimore and Ohio and branches of the Lake Shore and Wabash railroads. It is a very popular transfer station, and as many people are compelled to wait at this point for trains and as it is also an excellent shipping point, a nice little burg has sprung up at this place. A list its businessmen follow:

MISCELLANEOUS

Hotel Brunswick,. O.B. Oberholtzer

First class accommodations $2.00 per day. The traveling public especially solicited.

Just opposite depot

Established 1890

G. H. Oberholtzer,

Confectionery, Cigars, and Tobacco.

Opposite depot in post-office

Established 1884

G. W. Morr,

Grocery, Fancy Groceries of all kinds, Cigars, Tobacco and Confectionery

Near Depot

Established 1888

The Monitor Mfg. Co.,

Manufacturers of Wind Mills, Tanks, Towers and Fargo Harrow

Near B. & O Depot

Established 1884

John Harris,

General Store. Dry Goods, Boots, Shoes and Notions. Groceries of all kinds

Opposite Depot

Established 1882

Meyer, Liniger & Go,. John Meyer, B. L. Liniger, Henry Bresdorf

Manufacturers of Hoops and Hardwood Lumber

Mills near the L.S.

R.R.

Established 1890

Henry Morsey,

Wines, Liquors and Lunch Room

Opposite depot

Established 1894

GARRETT

Garrett, the railroad town of DeKalb, is situated in the western part of the county. It is the location of the Baltimore & Ohio shops and the home of many a railroader. In fact this is about the only enterprise in the city, and as Garrett is not a prominent trading center the merchants depend upon the railroad men for their entire support. Garrett is over twenty years old and is now a very prosperous little city. The citizens are wide-awake and realize the value of modern improvements. A good system of electric lights are operated and controlled by enterprising citizens, and at a called election some time ago the people voted for waterworks and the construction of the same has just begun. The elegant stores, large churches and school buildings show that the town has and is enjoying the best of prosperity. No line of business is overdone and with the 3,500 inhabitants it stands first in population in the county.

ATTORNEYS

L. Covell

Attorney-at-Law and Notary Public.

Office N. W. Corner Franklin and Keyser Street, Residence same

Established 1875. Admitted to bar 1853. Began practicing in lower courts in 1857.

Myers & Montz, E. A. Myers and H. W. Montz

Attorney-at-Law and Notaries Public

Randolph Street, Opposite post office

Established 1892.

L. J. Gengler

Attorney-at-Law

Cowan Street

BLACKSMITHS

Albert Palmer,

Blacksmithing and Repairing in Wood and Iron Special attention given to Horseshoeing, also all kinds of vehicle painted in the best possible manner. Upholstering departments in connection

Corner Cowan and King Streets

Established 1894

A. B. Haynes,

Wagon and Repair Shop, Scientific Horse-Shoeing

Randolph

Street, just north of B. & O. Depot

Established 1883

T. H. Troutner,

Blacksmith and General Repairing Scientific Horse-Shoeing

East Gurnsey Street

Established 1889

BARBERS

Hathaway & Workman, C. H. Hathaway and I. C. Workman

Barbers, Tonsorial Parlors, Hair-Cutting, Shaving and Shampooing neatly done.

South Randolph Street, First barber shop north of Ross House

Established 1893.

McKennan & McCrory, E. M. McKennan and C.B. McCrory

Barbers, Work done with neatness and dispatch Hair-cutting, Shaving and Shampooing

King Street

Established 1894

Henry Shelder,

Barber, "The oldest Barber in the county," A Barber for 43 years

Randolph Street

Established 1876

L. Stoner,

Barber, First-Class

Tonsorial Parlors

Quincy Street

Established 1895

Roll Hollopeter

Barber, For a first-class shave and good hair cut call on me

West side of Randolph St

Established 1892

Beehler Bros., D. C. and A. W. Beehler

Barbers, Fine Tonsorial Parlors First-class bath room, Only one in town

First door north of City Hall

Established 1883.

Will Springman,

Barber

Randolph Street

Established 1885

DRUGGISTS

L. N. Stoner & Co., L. N. Stoner and A. B. Stoner

Dealers in Pure Drugs, Medicines. Wall Paper, School Books, Stationery, Toilet Articles. A fine line of Perfumes, etc; also a large line of Tobacco and Cigars and everything kept in a first-class drug store. Physicians and family prescriptions carefully compounded. Night calls answered from store.

Cor. King and Randolph Streets

Established 1895.

J. J. Stohr,

Druggists and dealer in Drugs, Medicines, Toilet Articles, Paints, Oils, Wall Paper etc.

King Street

Established 1891

A. F. Halter,

Druggist

Randolph Street

Established 1875.

DRY GOODS, CLOTHING AND MERCHANT TAILORING

W. L. Webster &

Co.

W. L. Webster and D. B. Van Fleit

Dealers in Dry Goods, Boots and Shoes, Hats and Caps

Randolph Street

Established 1888

A. J. Weyer,

Clothing, Gentsí Furnishing Goods, Diamonds, Fine Watches Jewelry Silverware Etc.

Randolph Street

Established 1890

B. Hunsel,

Merchant Tailor and dealer in Gentsí Furnishing Goods, Hats, Caps, Boots and Shoes

Corner of King and Cowan Streets

Established 1878.

F. H. Wilhelm,

Merchant Tailor. First-class work with prices to suit the times

Randolph Street

Established 1891

C. Reyher & Co., C. Reyher, E. C. Reyher, J. V. Reyher and A. J. Stewart

Dealers in Dry Goods, Boots, Shoes, Clothing, Hats, Caps and House Furnishing Goods

Randolph Street

Established 1876

Joseph Singler,

General store. Dry Goods, Clothing, Gentsí Furnishing Goods. Groceries of all kinds

Randolph Street

Established 1875

FURNITURE

Moore & Schulthess, J. A. Moore and F. Schulthess

Dealers in Furniture, Pianos, Organs, Singer Sewing Machines and Undertakers and

Embalmers

Randolph Street

Established 1893

S. Tonnesen,

Furniture

Randolph Street

Established 1885

GROCERIES

Smith & Hersberger, I. I. Smith and W. N. Hersberger

Dealers in Groceries, Provisions, Dry Goods, Queensware, Notions,

Etc.

Corner King and Randolph Streets

Established 1894

W. Y. Johnston,

Dealer in Staple and Fancy Groceries, Country Produce and Fruits

Corner King and Cowan Streets

Established 1887.

W. Swihart,

Dealer in Groceries, Queensware, Fruits, Cigars, Etc.

Randolph Street office post-office

Established 1892

Magley & Gerard, W. J. Magley and L. R. Gerard

Dealers in Groceries, County Produce and Baked Goods. Fresh Bread, Pies and Cakes daily

Corner of Kiser and Randolph Streets

Established 1895

P. K. David & Son, P. K. David and H. S. David

Groceries

Randolph Street

Established 1875

HARDWARE AND BUILDING MATERIAL

F.H. Mountz,

Dealer in General Hardware, Courtland How Ventilators and Sherwin Williamís Paint, Also Stoves, Tinware Etc.

Randolph Street

Established 1894

C. B. Jones,

Dealer in Lumber, Shingles, Doors, Windows, Lime, Cement Sewer Pipe, Builderís Hardware Etc.

Near B. &O. Depot

Established 1863

S. S. Teeters,

Dealer in Hardware, Tinware, Paints, Oils, Farm Implements and Bicycles

Randolph Street

Established 1890

HOTELS

Ross House, E. W. Ferris Proprietor

First-class accommodations, Rates $2.00 per day

Corner Randolph Street and Keyser Streets

Established 1889

City Hotel, Dr. T. C. Sargent Proprietor

First-class accommodations

Rates $1.00 per day

Randolph Street just South of depot

Established 1889

Singrey House, Mrs. Etta Singrey Proprietor

Rates $1.00 per day First-class accommodations given to day or week boarders

Cowan Street

Established 1875

MANUFACTURERS

Lumm & Wohlenberg, John Lumm and Otto Wohlenberg

A complete line of Tinware always on hand, also Roofing, Spouting and Furnace Work. Repairing promptly attended to. Estimates cheerfully furnished

Randolph Street

Established 1892

John Herbolsheimer,

Dealer in Harness, Saddles, Whips, Robes, etc

Randolph Street

Established 1890

Fred Groscup,

Brick Kiln Manufacturer of fine Building Brick

East part of town near B. & O.

Established 1891

Garrett Engine, Boiler and Machine Works, J. B. Mager, President, E. P. Fitzgerald, Manager

Gas and Gasoline Engine Builders. General Jobbing and Repair Work

King Street

Established 1895

MEAT MARKETS

J. B.. Mager,

Dealer in Fresh and Salt Meats, Lard, Hides, Fish, Oysters and Game in season

Cowan Street

Established 1880

Mrs. F. Ferrell,

Dealer in Fresh and Salt Meats, Lard, Etc. Highest market price paid for Hides and Poultry

Randolph Street

Established 1886

Clark Bros., E. E. and O. F. Clark

Dealers in Fresh and Salt Meats, Lard, Fish, Oysters and Poultry, also shipper of Live Stock

Randolph Street

Established 1875

North Side Meat Market, F. T. Smith, Proprietor

Dealer in Fresh and Salt Meats, Lard, Hides, Poultry, Oysters and Game in Season

North Randolph Street

Established 1895.

NEWSPAPERS

The Garrett Clipper, A. J. Little Publisher

Business men of DeKalb County will find The Clipper the best advertising medium office

Randolph Street in Singler Block upstairs

Established 1885

The Garrett Herald, E.W. Miner Proprietor

Issued every Tuesday and Friday, also publishes The Hudson World, a weekly newspaper in the interest of Hudson (In) and her people. This office is well equipped with three presses, steam and all modern appliances. Its uniform low prices and excellent quality of Job Pricing have won for it the best patrons and a constant rush of business. The popularity of the Herald is marvelous, and its circulation is increasing at the rate of ten new subscribers each week.

PAINTERS

F. H. Kadletz,

Practical Painter Painting in various branches. Special attention paid to Sign Painting and Graining, also Gilding on Glass

Established 1877

J. F. Johnston & Son, J. F. and J. K. Johnston

All kinds of Painting, Paper-Hanging and Decorating a Specialty

Corner King and Brittain Streets

Established 1879

PHOTOGRAPHERS

W. H. Pinder,

All the latest things out in the Photograph line at Pinderís Gallery. Enlarging and Copying a specialty

King Street

Established 1892

Sullivanís Gallery, T. H. Sullivan, Proprietor

Photographer. All kinds of Photo work, enlarging, etc. done in the latest style

Corner of Keyser and Randolph streets

Established 1885.

PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS

Dr. J. F. Thomson,

Physician and Surgeon

Corner Cowan and King Streets

Established 1876

Chas. S. Stewart, M D.

Physician and Surgeon.

Thomson Lackey Block, Randolph

Street, Residence, Cowan Street

Established 1891

J. A. Clevenger, M.D.

Physician and Surgeon, Graduate of medical department of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn. Specialty of Gynecology

Office and Residence east side of Randolph Street, three doors north of Post office

Established 1889

J. Skilling, M.D.

Physician and Surgeon.

Eastside of Randolph Street, first block south of railroad

Established 1889

J. P. Strouse M.D.

Physician and Surgeon

Office and residence on Quincy and Cowan Streets

Established 1892

SALOONS

Dave Carter,

Dealer in Wines, Liquors and Cigars. Everything first-class

Randolph Street

Established 1895

D. Widmer,

Agent for the Foss-Schneider Brewing Co of Cincinnati, Ohio, also runs a fine Sample Room

King Street Hunsel

Block

Joseph R. Glenowhich,

Dealer in Fine Wines, Liquors, Cigars, etc.

Randolph Street

Established 1891

A. P. Moste,

Wines and Liquors Fancy Drinks of all kinds

Corner Randolph and King Streets

Established 1891

Chas. Linkenhelt,

Wines and Liquors. Fancy Drinks of all kinds

Randolph Street

Established 1875

Halís Sample Room, H. T. Strouse, Proprietor

Dealer in Fine Wines, Liquors and Cigars, Mixed and Fancy Drinks of all kinds. Fresh Beer always on tap

Randolph Street in Kellerís Block

Established 1893

Peter Behler,

Wines, Liquors and Fancy Drinks

Randolph Street

Established 1895

J. N. Ritter,

Wines, Liquors, Fancy Drinks etc

Corner Randolph and King Streets

Established 1887

Excelsior Sample Room, E. E. Sherman, Proprietor,

Wines, Liquors Fancy and Mixed Drinks of all kinds

West side of Randolph Street

Established 1894

Harmor Liccius,

Dealer in Liquors

King Street

Established 1895

Ike Whirledge,

Dealer in fine liquors

Corner Quincy and Randolph Streets

Established 1890

STATIONERY, BOOKS ND NEWS DEPOTS

G. E. Gage & Co.,

Books, Stationery and School Supplies, Millinery Goods of the best and latest styles. Ribbons, Lace, etc, Notary Public, Real Estate and Loan Agent, Musical Instruments.

Corner Keyser and Randolph Streets

Established 1885

D. Seely,

Notions, Stationery, News Stand, Cigars and Tobacco

In Post office

SHOEMAKERS

J. N. Schmidt,

Harness, Boots and Shoes. All kinds of repairing done on short notice

Quincy Street opposite round house

J. D. Vanlear & Son, J. D. and H. M. Vanlear

Shoemakers. Boots and Shoes made to order. Repairing a specialty.

Randolph Street

Established 1887

TOBACCO AND CONFECTIONERY

G. P. Essig,

Confectionery, Tobacco and Cigars. Wholesale and retail. Pictures sold. Soda Fountain

Randolph street, five doors north of post-office

Established 1895

G. Hollis,

Cigars, and Tobacco,

Confectionery and City News Depot. Ice Cream Parlors

Randolph street

Established 1890

MISCELLANEOUS

Garrett Banking Company, Directors: H. N. Coffinberry, Jacob Bogert, D. H. Kinsley, R. Sawvel and T. O. Mitchell

Incorporated according to the laws of Indiana. Transact a general Banking, Exchange and Collection business. Capital Stock $25,000.

Randolph Street

Established 1892

Mrs. D. W. Ocker,

Milliner Millinery goods of the latest styles. Fancy Goods

Randolph Street

Established 1882

The Model Steam Laundry,

Work guaranteed to be the best

King Street

Established 1890

C. A. Branch,

Second-Hand Store Buys and sells all kinds of second-hand goods. Also do repair work of any description

Corner of Cowan and Quincy Streets

Established 1895

Mrs. Clara Baker,

Optician. Auburn every Tuesday, Waterloo first and third Thursday of each month.

Corner Keyser and Franklin Streets

Established 1892

M. M. Johnston,

Dentist

Randolph Street

Established 1894

Garrett Mill , M. Berktrand Proprietor

Dealer in Flour,

Feed Grain etc. Manufacturer of the "White Foam" Flour

Mill corner Quincy and Peter Streets

Established 1885

E. S. Alsbaugh,

Jeweler

Randolph Streets

Established 1884

H. A. Kingsbury,

Jeweler Watches, Clocks and all kinds of Jewelry Coal and Wood

South Randolph Street

Established 1890

BUTLER

Butler is situated in the eastern part of the county at the junction of the Wabash and Michigan Division of the Lake Shore R. R. It is a town of about 3000 inhabitants, surrounded by a rich farming community. In modern improvements Butler is far ahead of most towns of its size, having an excellent system of waterworks and a good electric light plant. These things, and its well-kept streets, fine business blocks and beautiful homes, impress the stranger at once with the energy of the inhabitants. In its manufacturing interest, Butler is not behind. The Butler Co. is known all over the country as manufacturers of high grade bicycles and windmills and employ a large number of hands. The Basket Factory with a capacity of 400 dozen a day gives employment to a large number of men and girls. Butler has two wide awake newspapers that keep the people well informed on the topics of the day. It has several fine churches, a fine brick schoolhouse with all modern improvements and its teachers are the best the country affords. It s a very desirable location for anyone wishing to invest capital or find a nice home. Note: Advertisement states" Butler Company Incorporated Manufacturers of High Grade Bicycles, Steel and Wood Windmills and Towers, Pumps, Tanks, etc, etc."

ATTORNEYS

Andrew J. Baxter,

Attorney-at-Law Collections promptly made. Notary always in office

Broadway

Established 1879

Frank A. Brink,

Attorney-at-Law

Office E. North Street

Established 1893

J. C. Coats,

Attorney-at-Law

Broadway

Established 1880

BLACKSMITHS

Charles Hinei,

Blacksmithing and General Repairing Scientific Horse Shoeing a Specialty

North Street

Established 1891

A. J. Baker,

Blacksmith General Repairing Scientific Horse Shoeing a Specialty

Cor. North and Pearl Street

Established 1891

BARBERS

J. H. Latson,

Proprietor of First class Shaving Parlors. For a good shave and hair cut call at my shop

East side of Broadway

Established 1882

Loyell Hunter,

Barber, "Ben Ton Shop" Only bath room in town

W. Oak Street

Established 1892

J. T. Revett,

Barber, Two-chair shop. Fine Tonsorial Parlors

S. Broadway

Established 1895

G. B. Metzler,

Barber

Broadway

Established 1894

DRUGGISTS

Geo. Kehrer,

Druggists Drugs, Medicines, Wall Paper, Paints, Oils, Stationery, Cigars and Tobacco

West side N. Broadway

Established 1886

S. G. Stoner,

Druggist

Broadway

Established 1877

FURNITURE

S. W. Otis,

Undertaking and Furniture. The Latest of designs at the "Old Reliable"

North Street

Established 1867

S. L. Hamlin,

Furniture, Cabinet Maker. Everything in the latest Style

Oak Street

Established 1883

FEED STORES

Charles Rundy,

Feed Store. Feed and Grain of all kinds at bottom prices

North Street.

Established 1894

Jas. Stuller,

Dealer in Feed, Flour, Hay and Straw

Corner of Broadway and Oak Streets

Established 1880

GROCERIES

M. E. Ellsworth,

Grocery, Queensware Confectionery, Etc.

North Broadway

Established 1890

A. D. Morse,

Dealer in Groceries, Provisions, Queensware, Glassware, etc.

Corner of Broadway and Oak Streets

Established 1888

E. C. Miller,

Dealer in Groceries, Country Produce, Queensware, Glassware and Crocker

East side of Broadway

Established 1881

GENERAL STORES AND MERCHANT TAILORING

The Knisely Dry Goods Co,. M. L. Wilkinson, Wm. Knisely, H. L. Tess

Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots, Shoes and General Merchandise

Broadway

Established 1875

G. Wolff,

General Store. Dry Goods, Clothing, Groceries Buyer of Wool

Broadway

A. Levy & Co., A. Levy, H. Hirsch

Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots, Shoes and Gentís Furnishing Goods

Broadway

Established 1881

L. Walker,

Tailor. Suits in the latest styles at bottom prices. As good as the best

Broadway

Established 1887

Edward May,

Merchant Tailor First-class work and fit guaranteed

Broadway

Established 1882

The Butler Fair,

General Store

Corner Broadway and Oak St

Established 1894

HARDWARE

G. F. Gengnagel,

General Hardware, Plows, Harrows, Etc.

Main Street

Established 1870

J. C. Vernier,

Dealer in Hardware, Stoves and Tinware

Broadway

Established 1895

Wm. Mutzfeld,

Harness Maker, A complete line of all kinds of harness

N. Broadway

Established 1882

E. W. Mutzfeld,

Manufacturer and dealer in Harness, Blankets, Robes, Saddles, Brushes, Combs, Collars, Whips Etc. All kinds of repairing promptly and neatly done

Corner of Broadway and Main Street

Established 1888

HOTELS

Wabash House, D. T. McNabb Proprietor

First-class accommodations

S. Broadway, near Wabash Depot

Established 1882

Aldrich & Son, Hotel Alrdrich

First-class hotel

Near Lake Shore Depot

Established 1878

Clifton House, E. Long, Prop.,

Everything first-class

Near Lake Shore and Wabash Depots. S. Broadway

Established 1894

JEWELERS

L. J. Diehl,

Jeweler and Watchmaker. Dealer in Watches, Clocks, Jewelry and Musical Instruments.

East side of Broadway

Established 1875 (Please note family has a different date of Establishment.-in 1860ís)

J. B. Proctor,

Jeweler and Watch Repairer. Special attention given to all kinds of repairing

East side of Broadway

Established 1878

LIVERY AND FEED STABLES

Geo. Chrildes,

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn

W. Oak Street

Established 1888

G. W. Cummins,

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn

E. Oak Street

Established 1892

J. E. Decker,

Livery, Feed and Sale Barn

W. Oak Street

Established 1894

MANUFACTURERS

Butler Canning Co.,

Incorporated Stock Co., Packer of High Grade Fruit and Vegetables

Near Dept Street and East Avenue

Established 1894

A. D. Morley,

Manufacturer of Spring Beds, Cots and Woven Wire Mattresses

Railroad Street

Established 1893

Melroy & Watson, D. D. Melroy, Alexander Watson

Manufacturers of Carriages and Wagons. We also do repairing of all kinds in wood and iron

Main St.

Established 1891

E. M. Hopkins,

Tile Mill Manufacturers of Brick and Tile

In Norris Addition, West of Lake Shore Depot

Established 1869

J. W. Squiers,

Saw Mill,. General Custom Work and Shipping. All kinds of building material furnished

East end of town

Established 1894

The Butler Basket Co.,. J. C. Eviston Supt.

Manufacturers of Baskets. Capacity, 400 dozen daily

West part of town

D. G. Gratz & Son, P. Gratz

Flouring Mill

Near Lake Shore Depot.

Established 1893

NEWSPAPERS

Herald, M. E. Gardner

Publisher and Job Printer

Tomlinson Block opposite post office

Established 1880

The Butler Record , L. H. Higley

Editor and proprietor Publisher of the Butler Record. All kinds of Job Work neatly done

Corner Broadway and Oak St.

Established 1877.

MEAT MARKETS

Capp Bros., Chas. And Will Capp

Butchers. Fresh Salted and Smoked Meats. Canned Goods

N. Broadway

Established 1887

Haverstock & Thiel, J. Haverstock, N. Thiel

Butcher Shop. All kinds of meat always on hand

East side of Broadway

Established 1894

MILLINERS

Mrs. M. A. Hines,

Exclusively Millinery Goods, Latest Designs always on hand

Broadway

Established 1890

Mrs. B. A. Lewis,

Milliner Millinery and Fancy Goods

Broadway

Established 1893

PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS

F. W. Fanning, M D.

Physician and Surgeon

Corner North and Broadway , Residence 156 Oak Street

Established 1868

W. P. Carpenter, M.D.

Physician and Surgeon

W. Oak Street

Established 1881

J. B. Bennett, M D..

Physician and Surgeon

Corner North and East Streets

Established 1861

W. F. Shumaker, M D

Physician and Surgeon

North St.

Established 1892

H. H. Lilly M.D.

Physician

West Oak St

Established 1881

RESTAURANTS AND BAKERIES

Z. L. Kindig,

Restaurant and Bakery, Cigars and Tobacco. The leading restaurant in Butler

N. Broadway St.

Established 1887

Geo. C. Haskins,

Restaurant and Bakery, Ice Cream Parlors, Confectionery

S. Broadway St.

Established 1893

C. Voight,

Restaurant and Bakery,
Confectionery, Cigars and Tobacco

N. Broadway

Established 1893

J. M. Long,

Restaurant, Shelf Groceries. An Elegant Lunch Counter. Everything fresh

N. Broadway

Established 1889

J. E. Candleberry,

Restaurant and Lunch Room, Ice Cream Parlor

No. 8 W. Oak Street

Established 1895

MISCELLANEOUS

W. S. Matheny,

Shoe Shop. Repairing neatly done

Broadway

Established 1872

S. T. Graf,

Shoemaker. Boots and Shoes made to order Repairing a specialty

Main St.

Established 1883

C. J. Nedry,

Tobacco Store, Cigars and Tobacco

Broadway

Established 1891

C. W. Beechler,

The oldest Resident Dentist in the County. Dentistry in all its branches executed with the best of skill. Crown and bridge Work a specialty.

Office: Corner of Oak and Broadway

Established 1876

The Butler Steam Laundry, L. E. Freeburn, Prop.

Work guaranteed the best

E. Oak St.

Established 1895

C. Sise,

Woodwork and Repair Shop. All repairing promptly done at low prices

Shop on E. North Street

Established 1883

Madden Bros., A. W., J. R. and C. E. Madden

Dealers in all kinds of cemetery work and building material, dressed and polished granite and iron fencing

N. Broadway

Established 1890

Jeff N. Boyle,

Real Estate Agent. Negotiator and Promoter. Will buy, sell or exchange your property Write him for list.

35 Broadway opposite post office

Established 1888

Weirick & Seed, G. C. Werick, F. H. Seed

News dealers, Stationery and Books

East side of Broadway

Established 1895

Knisely Boots & Co., T. J. Knisely, D. H. Knisely, Geo. E. Boots, F. W. Kinney, L. C. Harding.

Bankers

Broadway

Established 1882

C. A. Newman, Photographer

Fine Cabinets a specialty. Enlargements made in Crayon, India Ink, Water Color and Pastel. I will discount agentís prices and guarantee satisfaction.

21 Ĺ Broadway

Established 1881

J. J. Sise,

Justice of Peace

Office E. North Street

Established 1879

David W. Steward,

Justice of Peace and Collection Agent

Office over the Post office

Established 1892

A. J. Mason & Son, W. A. Mason

Dealers in Building material, Lime, Glass, Nails Etc. Sewer Pipe and Heavy Tile

Railroad Street

Established 1875

Blanch Weldon,

Novelty Store

Main Street

Established 1895

J. C. Brown,

Boot and Shoe Store

Main Street

Established 1890

WATERLOO

Waterloo is situated in the northern part of DeKalb County on the main line of the Lake Shore and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad. It is a thriving little town and a good business place. The stores carry good stocks of goods and are liberally patronized by the people of Waterloo and surrounding country. It is well supplied with churches and has a good school, presided over by able instructors. It has all the convenience of a city, a good bank where people can safely place their money, a good wide-awake newspaper, which presents the news to the people in good style and everything necessary to make a town prosperous. Its population is about 1500.

ATTORNEYS

Wm. X. X McDonald,

Attorney-at-Law. Manager of the Waterloo Loan and Real Estate Company. Also Trust Funds for Investments

S. Wayne Street

John Schuman,

Attorney-at-Law

Office in DeKalb Bank Building

L. J. Blair,

Attorney-at-Law

S. Wayne Street

Established 1867

C. M. Phillip,

Attorney-at-Law

Wayne Street

Wm. H. Leas,

Attorney-at-Law

Office Wayne Street

Established 1875

BARBER SHOPS

J. W. Hoover

First-class Shaving Parlors Good Work is my motto.

Shop on Van Vleek St. First door west of Post Office

Established 1885

Edward Wareham

Proprietor of First-Class Shaving Parlors

On the Corner off Van Vleek and Wayne Street, Under Campbellís Drug Store

Established 1883

H. E. Wareham

Barber

S. Wayne St.

Established 1878

BAKERIES AND CONFECTIONERIES

A. C. Gruhlke,

Proprietor of Restaurant and Lunch Room. Dealer in Cigars, Tobacco, Confectionery,
Etc. Also keeps Roomers by the day or week.

Opposite the L. S. and M. S. Depot

Established 1883

G. J. Beck,

Baker and Confectioner. Fresh Bread, Pies and Cakes, daily. A fine line of Cigars and Tobaccos. Also runs an Ice Cream and Oyster Parlor in Season.

Wayne St. one door south of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad.

Established 1863

H. W. Beck,

Baker and Confectioner. Also runs a First-class Lunch Room

Van Vleek St.

Established 1894

The Lone Tree Restaurant, James D. McAnaly, Proprietor

Dealer in Confectionery, Cigars, Tobaccos, Etc. Also runs a first-class Lunch Room and Restaurant. People boarded and roomed by the day or week.

Railroad Street Near the L. S. and M. S. Depot

Established 1892

J. A. Denison,

Dealer in Confectionery, Cigars, Tobacco, Ice Cream and Oysters in season

Wayne Street South of the railroad

Established 1873

DRUGGISTS

J. D. Campbell,

Dealer in Drugs, Paints, Wall Paper, Etc. Sole Proprietor of Campbellís American Catarrh Care and American Asthma Care

Corner Wayne and Van Vleek Sts.

Established 1873

Frank Bevier & Co,.

Dealer in Drugs

S. Wayne Street

Established 1882

DRY GOODS, CLOTHING AND MERCHANT TAILORING

E. T. Rehfield,

Dealer in Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots and Shoes. Gentís Furnishing Goods

Wayne St.

Established 1895

Peter Fisher,

Merchant Tailor, All work first class and prices to suit the times.

Wayne St. over Willis & Co.ís Book Store

Established 1865

Boyer & Leas, J. C. Boyer, D. L. Leas

Dealers in Dry goods,

Wayne St.

. Established 1888

GROCERIES

Plum & Co.,

Dealers in Groceries, Country Produce, Etc.

South Wayne St

.Established 1893

Speer & Co.,

Dealers in Groceries, Provisions and Queensware

Corner of Marion and Wayne St.

Established 1880

Grueter Bros., Herman and Henry Grueter

Dealers in Groceries, Country Produce, Queensware

Glassware etc.

Corner of Van Vleek and Wayne St.

Established 1887

L. E. Zerkle,

Dealer in Groceries and Provisions

S. Wayne St.

HARDWARE

J. C. Day,

Dealer in Shelf and Heavy Hardware, Stoves, Doors, Sash, Paints and Oils

Wayne St.

Established 1889

Sinclair & Son, A. J. Sinclair and A. V. Sinclair

Groceries, Hardware, etc.

Corner of Marion and Wayne St.

Established 1891

LIVERY FEED AND SALE STABLES

Robinson Livery and Feed Barn, James Robinson,

Proprietor of Leading Livery, Feed and Sale Stable of Waterloo.

Washington St. At the head of Van Vleek St. near the Hotel Locke

Established 1889

J. A. Yeagy,

Veterinary Surgeon and also runs a first-class livery, fee and Sale Stable.

Wayne St. South of the Lake Shore R. R.

Established 1875

MILLINERS

Daniels & DeLong, R. G. Daniels and Miss Mattie DeLong

Dealers in Millinery. Everything up to date in the millinery line.

South Wayne St. North of the Railroad

Established 1895

Mrs. Prentiss Gill,

Millinery and dealer in Fancy Goods. The latest styles in the Millinery line always on hand.

East side of Wayne St., north of Railroad

Established 1889

MANUFACTUERS

Standard Mfíg. Co,.

Manufacturers of the Electric Cigar Lighter

South of Lake Shore Depot.

Established 1895

Henry A. Henning,

Manufacturer of the "Inquire" cigar, one of the best brands on the market. All the leading cigar dealer of the county, handle this brand

Wayne St.
South of the railroad

Established 1895

Wm. Wallace,

Manufacturer of and dealer in Harness, Saddles, Halters, Whips, Robes etc.

East side of Wayne St.

Established 1860

L H. Klotz,

Wagon and Carriage Builder

Van Vleek St.

Established 1880

MEAT MARKETS

Swartz Bros,. Melvin and Tarring Swartz

Dealers in Fresh and Salted Meats, Lard, Hides, Fish and Poultry.

East side of Wayne St. North of the Railroad

Established 1893

S. P. Strow,

Dealer in the best of Fresh and Salt Meats, Fish, Poultry and Butter. Known as the North Side Meat Market.

West side of Wayne St.

Established 1891

Mosher & Co.,.

Dealers in Fresh and Salted Meats, Lard, Hides, Poultry, Etc. Known as the Braun Meat Market

South Wayne St.

Established 1894

PHYSICIANS

J. E. Showalter, M D.

Physician and Surgeon. Previously engaged in farming and school teaching.

Office on Railroad St. on the ground floor of the DeKalb Bank Building.

Graduated in 1893

F. Broughton,

Physician and Surgeon. Graduate Rush Medical College, Lake Forrest University

Residence on Wayne St.

A. B .Darby, M.D.

Physician and Surgeon

Office in Darby block

Wm. Bevier,

Physician and Surgeon

Wayne St.

Established 1863

SALOONS

R. Till,

Proprietor of First-class Sample Room

On Railroad St

.Established 1865

Philip Waters,

Dealer in Wines, Liquors and Cigars Also runs a lunch counter

Wayne St. one door north of the Lake

Shore R. R.

Established 1892

A. Parks,

Dealer in Fine Wines, Liquors, Cigars, Etc. Everything first-class

Corner of Wayne and Van Vleek St.

`Established 1893

Frank Shaver,

Dealer in the finest of Wines, Liquors and Cigars

Van Vleek St.

SHOEMAKERS

Peter Montavon,

Shoemaker. All kinds of custom work and repairing promptly and neatly done

East side of Wayne St.

Established 1874

P. Morell,

Shoemaker. The neatest of repairing and the best of custom work always done at my shop

West side Wayne St.

Established 1866

O. P. Smith,

Shoemaker. Real Estate, Insurance and Collecting Agency. I also practice law

Office over the Citizenís Bank, Wayne St.

MISCELLANEOUS

Citizensí Bank, H. K. Leas, Cashier

Do a general banking business, buy and sell, Exchange and make collections and loan money

Wayne St.

Established 1871

Locke House, M. Kelley, Proprietor

First Class Hotel. Rates $2.00. The best of accommodation to transients as the house is up with the times in every respect.

Van Vleek Street

Established 1865.

H. H. Boozer,

Dealer in Agricultural Implements of all kinds. One of the largest firms in the county.

Main Street, South of the railroad (Note no street, today known as Main could be Wayne?)

Established 1865

J. F. Maxson,

Jeweler and Watchmaker, Also dealer in Jewelry, Silverware, Watches, Clocks, Etc.

Wayne Street

Established 1895

Frank Zirwes,

Blacksmithing, Wagon and Carriage Shop, Horseshoeing a specialty.

Shop corner Railroad and Washington Streets

Established 1886.

DeKalb Bank,. C. A. O. McClellan President, Giles T. Abby, Cashier

Capital and Surplus $25,000

Wayne and Railroad Streets

Established 1865

G. A. Lacey & Co., Photographers

Enlarging and copying and anything in the photo line always up to date at this gallery.

Darby block over post office.

Willis & Co., Henry and Frank W. Willis

Books, Stationery, Wall paper, Window Shades, Fancy Goods, etc.

Wayne St.

Established 1865

John M. Amstutz,

Tinner. Dealer in all kinds of Tinware. Also do repairing of all kinds

Wayne St.

Established 1895

The Waterloo Press, Frank W. Willis, Editor and Publisher

The oldest paper in DeKalb

County. The circulation is one of the largest in the county and is therefore a good advertising medium. It is also clean, pure, newsy and strictly up to date.

Office over Willis & Co.ís Book Store

Established 1859

J. M. Waterman,

Dealer in Furniture, Carpets, House Furnishings. Also dealer in Grain

Wayne St.

Established 1885

W. M. Ettinger,

Funeral Director and Embalmer. A large line of undertaking supplies always on hand.

West side of Wayne St.

Established 1861.

Reed & Co., C. R. Reed, O. F. Nichols

Flour and Feed Exchange. Also handle all the best grades of flour

Wayne St., in the Kinney Block

Established 1890

Brown Bros., E. A. & J. C. Brown

Dealers in Boots, Shoes, and Rubber Goods

Wayne St.

Established 1892

J. S. Jackman,

Dealer in Ladiesí and Gentís fine Shoes

Wayne St.

Established 1891

S. D. Myers,

Dentist;

Wayne St.

Established 1892

Frederick Deventer,

Blacksmith

Van Vleek St.

Established 1883.

ST JOE

St. Joe, the beehive of DeKalb county, is situated about twelve miles east of Auburn on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. It is a beautiful little place and surrounded by as fine a farming country as can be found in Northern Indiana. It has about 450 inhabitants, beautiful houses, large brick business blocks, elegant churches, and a large roomy schoolhouse. As a hustling business point, a pleasant location, it is not excelled by any town in the State for its site.

BARBERS

E. L. Jenkins, Barber

Fine Tonsorial Parlors. Fancy Hair Dressing of all kinds, Cigars and Tobacco. Agent for Laundry

West Main Street

Established 1894

City Barber Shop, J. C. Hull, Proprietor

Barber Shop. Fine Tonsorial Parlors Fancy Hair Dressing of all kinds. Dealer in Gum, Cigars, Chewing and Smoking Tobacco. Agent for Accident and Insurance and Laundry

Main Street

Established 1886.

FURNITURE

A. Kinsey,

General Hardware, Furniture and Undertaking. Latest styles of Furniture always on hand. Agent for Fire Insurance Ad on Page 7 states "The only combined furniture, hardware Store in the County."

West Main St.

Established 1870

White & Bearss, F. J. White and Roland Bearss

Furniture and Undertaking. The latest styles in Furniture and all kinds.

Main Street

Established 1895

GENERAL STORES

The Big Four Store, Patterson Bros. & Olds Proprietors., W. C. and C. A. Patterson and M. E. Olds

Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots,

Shoes, Drugs, Medicines, Jewelry, Watches, Clocks etc. (Ad states occupying over 5,000 sq. ft. of floor).

Established 1892

Sol Barney,

General Store, Dry Goods, Boots, Shoes, Notions, Groceries, Queensware

Corner Main and Third Streets

Established 1865.

HOTELS, GROCERIES AND RESAURANTS

Whiteís Hotel, E. D. White, Proprietor

First-class accommodation. The oldest house in town. Livery and Feed Barn in Connection

West Main Street

Established 1878

M. Tustison,

Groceries and Provisions, Cigars, Tobacco and Confectionery Fine Ice Cream. Oysters in season.

Main Street

Established 1886.

Lake Bros,. A. L. & J. H.

Bakery Restaurant and Grocery Wholesale and retail bakery, Fresh every day.

Main Street

Established 1894

William Leighty,

Hotel

Established 1874

HARDWARE, FARM IMPLEMENTS, BUGGIES AND TIN SHOPS

E. Case & Co.,

General line of Hardware, Doors and Sash and all kinds of Building Materials

Main Street

Established 1892

Baker, Kagey, & Curie, D. J. Baker, J. T. Kagey and Wm. Curie

Buggies, Carriages, Wagons and all kinds of Farming Implements

Main Street

Established 1890

J. H. Conrad,

Dealer and Jobber in Tin and Steel Roofing Spouting etc. House Furnishing Goods

Main Street

F. A. Zeigler,

Harness Maker. Hand made Harness of all kinds an guaranteed to be the best. Fly Nets, Whips and all House-furnishing goods.

West Main Street

Established 1885

MEAT MARKET

Foote & Bowen, O. M. Foote and S. J. Bowen

Butchers,
Fresh, Salted and Smoked Meats of all kinds

Main Street

Established 1894

MANUFACTURING

Filley & Bishop, A. B. Filley and M. T. Bishop

Saw Mill. Sawing and Planing. Manufacturers of all kinds of

Building Material and dealers in all kinds of Hardwood Lumber

Simon Wineland,

Saw Mill. Building Material of all kinds. Cider Mill

North of railroad

Established 1885

PROFFESTIONAL MEN

Dr. H. W .Bowman,

Physician and Surgeon. Local Surgeon of B. &O.

South side of East Main Street; Residence same

Established 1876

Dr. B. S. Sheffer,

Physician & Surgeon

West part of town near Main Street

Established 1882

Dr. W. L. Hines,

Physician and Surgeon

Main Street

Established 1894

Prof. J. P. Bonnell,

Principal of

Schools

South Second Street

WAGON AND REPAIR SHOPS

Samuel Souder,

Wagon and Repair Shop. Manufacturer of Wagons and Buggies

West Main Street

Established 1894

Daily Bros., F. & C. Daily

Wagon and Repair Shop. General Blacksmithing of all kinds

West Main Street

Established 1889.

MISCELLANEOUS

"St. Joe News", Mortimer E. Olds, Editor

A Weekly paper $1.00 a year All job work neatly done

Established 1886

St. Joe Valley Bank,. W. C. Patterson, Cashier

General

Banking Business

Main Street

Established 1889.

Julius Weinberger,

Boot and Shoe Shop. Repairing a specialty

East Main Street

Established 1888

Mrs. A. Warner,

Millinery Goods. The latest styles always on hand

Kinsey Bock

Established 1893

H. H. Meek,

Painter, Payer-Hanger and Decorator. Graining neatly and tastily done

South Third Street

Established 1880

Frank Barney,

Dealer in Grain and Seeds of all kinds. Salt, Wood, Etc.

East Main Street

Established 1875

CORUNNA

Corunna, one of the most busy little spots in DeKalb County, is situated on the main line of the Lake Shore, about seven miles west of Waterloo. Corunna is surrounded by a rich farming community, which makes it one of the best trading points in the county. It is an excellent grain market and is said to do as much business some days as any other town in the county. Although the town has only about 500 population. It has good churches, a nice school building and several costly residences. The stores carry good stocks and are all well patronized.

BARBERS

Chas. Wallace,

Barber. First-class Shaving Parlor where you can always get a good haircut and a clean shave.

Shop on Bridge St., North of Railroad

Established 1893

G. A. Royer,

First-class Barber Shop. For a good shave call on me.

Bridge St., South of railroad

Established 1892

DRUGGISTS

O. P. Raber,

Druggist. Dealer in Drugs, Medicines, Toilet Articles, Wall Paper, Paints, Oils, etc.

Bridge St, North of the railroad

Established 1885

W. M. Mercer,

Druggist Dealer in Drugs, Medicines, Notions and Books

Bridge St. north of railroad

Established 1861

GENERAL STORES

A. H. Clark,

Loomis Agent. Dealer in Dry Goods, Boots and Shoes, Groceries and everything found in a General Store

South Bridge St.

Established 1894

I. H. Knauer,

Dealer in Dry Goods, Clothing,

Groceries, Boots, Shoes Etc.

Established 1875

PHYSICIANS

Dr. F. Snyder,

Physician and Surgeon Buffalo Medical College, 92

Residence and Office, Cor. Michigan Avenue and Walnut St.

A. F. Phillips, M D.

Physician and Surgeon Graduate in the Toronto Medical College 94-95

Office and residence on S. Bridge St.

M. M. Bowen,

Physician and Surgeon

Office and residence, N. Bridge St.

MISCELLANEOUS

Corunna Mills , Wigent Bros., Props.

Manufacturers of Full Roller Flour and all kinds of Ground Feed. "Our Best" Special Brand Custom grinding Solicited

South of
Depot

W. A. Cremean

Dealer in Cigars, Tobacco, Candles, Books, Stationery, Tinware, Etc. Also Postmaster

Bridge St. North of Railroad

Established 1893

Cutler & Chaney, Homar Cutler, E. M. Chaney

Blacksmiths and Woodworkers. All kinds of repairing in both wood and Iron done in prompt order. Horse shoeing and repairing a specialty in the blacksmith department, and anything in the woodwork line done in the best manner by the wood worker.

Shop on Bridge St. north of the railroad

Established 1891

M. J. Thomas,

Dealer in General Hardware, Farming Implements and Pine Lumber

Bridge St.

Established 1886.

J. L. McKee,

Dealer in Fresh and Salted Meats, Lards, Hides, Est.

Bridge St.

Established 1889

Albert Harding,

Shoemaker. Custom work and repairing neatly and promptly done

Shop on Bridge St

.Established 1895

W. M. Leines,

Blacksmith, Wagon Builder and

Repairer. Horse shoeing a specialty

Established 1885

P. D. Graham,

Dealer in Furniture of all kinds. Carpets, Sewing Machines, Paints, Oils, Varnish etc.

Bridge St.

Established 1890

Kline House,. C. H. Willets Prop.

First-class Boarding House. Rates $1.50 per day. Good accommodations to all

Depot St

.Established 1888

Reynolds Bros., M. E, W. T., and F G. Reynolds.

Manufactures and dealers in Hardwood Lumber. Also run Plaining Mill in connection. We also grind plow points. North Bridge St.

North Bridge St.

Established 1894

G. H. Miles,

Manufacturer and dealer in Harness, Saddles, Robes and everything found in a first-class harness shop.

North Bridge St.

Established 1878

A. Pairan,

Dealer in Fine Wines, Liquors and Cigars

Bridge . South of

railroad

Established 1891

John Lipsett,

Dealer in Groceries, Provisions, etc.

Bridge St. North of railroad

Established 1880

SPENCERVILLE

Spencerville, one of the oldest towns in the county, is a picturesque little village in the southeast part of the county. It is a beautifully little place of about 250 inhabitants. Its beautiful shade trees, well kept streets, elegant homes and absence of the railroad, form a picture rarely seen in this country at the present day. The nearest railroad station is three miles away; but even with this disadvantage the businessmen are able to hold their own. A more pleasant place to live cannot be found

DRUGS AND JEWELRY

C. B. Walker,

Druggist. Drugs, Medicines, Paints, Oils, Wall paper, Cigars, Tobacco, Confectionery, Soda Fountain, Stationery and Novelties

S. Main St.

Established 1894

J. Carnes,

Jeweler, Watches, Clocks, Jewelry of all kinds. Repairing a Specialty. Glasses fitted to the eyes.

S. Main St.

Established 1894

GENERAL STORE

Erick bros. S. G. & G. B.

General Store, Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots, Shoes, Gentís Furnishing, Goods Groceries, Oliver Steel Plows

Main St

Established 1888

Beams Bros,. H. W. & J. W.

Dry Goods, Clothing, Gentís Furnishing Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, Fancy Yarns of all kinds Furniture and Undertaking

Main St.

Established 1880

MANUFACURING AND REPAIRING

O. W.. Rummell,

Harness Maker. Hand Made Harness Guaranteed to be the be Best. Whips, Harness, Hardware Etc.

Established 1860

Murray Bros., T. S. & J. H.

Flour Mill. Manufacturer of "Pearl Drop" The oldest miller in the County.

Established 1863

Steward Bros., J. N. & L. W.

Saw Mill and Tile Mill. All kinds of Building Material always on hand

Established 1889

Theodore Kressly,

Wagon and Repair Shop. Wagons and Buggies made to order. Blacksmith of all kinds, Painting,

Etc.

Established 1888

Markel & Chapman, A. Markel, E. Chapman

Wagon and Repair Shop. Manufacturers of Wagons and Buggies

Established 1894

Baltz & Smith, J. F. Baltz, F. B.
Smith

Wagon and Repairs Shop

Established 1886

MISCELLANEOUS

E. U. Beams,

General Hardware, Tinware, Etc. Stoves, Ranges, Cutler

Main St.

Established 1894

Dr. J. W. Morr, M. D.

Physician and Surgeon

Main St.

Established 1894

Carnes & Cupp, H. J. Carnes, Gust. Cupp

Meat Market, Fresh and Cured Meats of all kinds

Main St.

Established 1893

"Bon Ton Shop", Chas. Vancsoik, Barber

A fine Hair cut and a smooth Shave. Superior Hair Dressing. Shampooing etc.

Main St.

Established 1895

G. Brybrook,

Restaurant. Light Groceries, Confectionery, Cigars and Tobacco

Main St.

Established 1895.

Submitted by Lucy E. Funk ebethgen@yahoo.com and Constance Sue Carper carper@dklb.net