Back to Delaware County Family Links
Descendants of Nathan Smith and Rosanna Foster-Deming
Submitted by: MaryLu McClure
ROSANNA FOSTER-DEMING (surname in question) Married NATHAN SMITH in Vermont.
They had 15 children, 10 girls & 5 boys.
(1) Electa Smith was born in 1798 in VT, married James French and remained in Vermont.
(2) JOHN C. SMITH was born in 1799 in VT, married Harriet Preston. They left the state of Ohio for Delaware County, IN., settling in Smithfield during the winter of 1829-30.
(3) Mary Ann Smith was born in about 1801 in VT, married Morgan Maxwell, and lived in Ohio and Iowa.
(4) Ransom Smith was born in about 1803 in VT, married Rebecca Strahl, and lived in Ohio and Indiana.
(5) Betsey Smith was born in about 1805 in VT. (No other information available.)
(6) Ambrose Smith was born in about 1806 in VT. He died at age 18 1/2 in Ohio.
(7) LUCY SMITH was born in about 1808, married JAMES LOWRY in Morgan County,OH, and came to Delaware County where she died in 1847.
(8) Mahala Smith was born in 1810 in ME, married Ezekial J. Dye & lived in Noble County, OH.
(9) LEWIS SMITH was born in 1811 in VT, married SEREPTA PRESTON in 1830 in Delaware County, IN.
They came to Delaware County, IN, during the winter of 1829-30.
(10) ELIZABETH SMITH was born in 1815 in OH, married Samuel Dye, and lived in Morgan/Noble County, OH, and Putnam County, MO.
(11) MARY SMITH was born in 1817 in OH, married ANDREW SHAFER, and died in Delaware County, IN, in 1844.
(12) NANCY SMITH was born in 1821 in OH, married MARTIN RIBBLE in Delaware County, IN, and spent the rest of her life there.
(13) MARTHA L. SMITH was born in 1822 in OH, married JOHN CURRENT in Delaware County, IN, and lived in Delaware County, IN, and Johnson County, MO.
(14) STEPHEN SMITH was born in about 1823, married SUSANNAH A. MARTIN in Delaware County, IN. They lived in Delaware County, IN, and Marian County, IA.
(15) The name of one female is unknown.
Nathan Smith died in 1827 in Morgan County, OH.
Rosannah came to Delaware County, IN, in about 1838, and died there on August 2, 1860.
Lewis Smith came to Delaware County, IN, with other family members during the winter of 1829-30 and settled with the others at Stouts Mill which was named Smithfield in March 1830.
He married SEREPTA PRESTON on November 1, 1830, in Delaware County, IN.
Many buildings in Muncie, schools in rural areas, and other buildings were built by Lewis Smith.
They had eleven children.
(1) MARY ANN SMITH was born in 1831 in Delaware County, IN, married LEWIS A. REES, and they spent the rest of their lives in Delaware County, IN.
(2) PERLINA SMITH was born in 1832 in Delaware County, married JOHN TRUITT & she died there in 1857.
(3) JOHN SMITH was born and died in 1834 in Delaware County, IN.
(4) HARRIET SMITH was born in 1835, in Delaware County, IN, married #1 - WILLIAM COCHREN there in 1853, he died in Delaware County. Harriet married #2 THOMAS N. LOWRY in Le Sueur County, MN.
(5) RANSOM SMITH was born in 1837 and died in 1857 in Delaware County, IN.
(6) ELECTA ROSANNAH SMITH was born in 1839 and died in 1857 in Delaware County, IN. She married CONRAD GRAY.
(7) GEORGE WASHINGTON SMITH was born in 1841 in Delaware County, IN, married #1 - Emily in Minnesota. Emily died in Ottertail County, MN. George married #2 - Florence L. Williams in Minnesota. They are buried at Le Sueur, MN.
(8) WILLIAM WESLEY SMITH was born in 1843 & died in 1855 in Delaware County, IN.
(9) STEPHEN SMITH was born in 1845 and died in 1847 in Delaware County, IN.
(10) AMANDA MELVINA SMITH was born in 1847 in Delaware County, IN. She married Carlos D. Lewis in Ottawa, MN. They lived in Minneapolis, MN; Michigan; Minnesota Falls, MN; Ottawa, MN; Granite Falls, MN; Salt Lake City, UT; and Belevedere, CA.
(11) CAROLINE "CARRIE" SMITH was born in 1850 in Delaware County, IN. She married ELLIS JONES in Kasota, MN. They lived at Ottawa, Le Sueur, and Lake Crystal, MN.
HARRIET SMITH was born in 1835 in Delaware County, IN. She married #1 - WILLIAM COCHREN in Delaware County, IN, in 1853. He died in 1855 in Delaware County, IN, at age 22-10-10.
She married #2 - THOMAS NATHAN LOWRY in 1859 in Le Sueur County, MN.
He was her first cousin and was working in Ottawa, MN, for his uncle, Lewis Smith.
After their marriage they returned to Woodhull, Henry County, IL, where (after a couple of "side trips") Thomas died of consumption on August 9, 1874. In 1871 they were living in Pierce City, Lawrence County, MO.
Harriet had a son, William Cochren (1855-1920).
Harriet & Thomas had six daughters:
(1) Lucy Catherine Lowry - twin (died 1860 as an infant)
(2) Lucinda Eveline Lowry -twin (died 1860 as an infant)
(3) Amanda Mary Nancy (1862-1876) (died of consumption)
(4) Sarrepta Ella Lowry (1867-1869)
(5) Emily Eunice Lowry (1869-1870)
(Information from family Bible - no birth or death places listed.)
(6) Rosa Annetta Lowry born 1871. Married Harry A. Young in Le Sueur County, MN.
She died in 1949 in Todd County, MN. She was my grandmother.
MaryLu's Note: I have complete birth and death dates on most of these people and would be glad to hear from other researchers.
Return To Delaware County INGenWeb