Delaware County Obituaries


GAINES, Larcey E.

April 10, 1961

Notes: 1373 East Blvd.; wife of Gordon W.; mother of Barbara and Lenora; sister of James, Robert George, Julius and Clarence Eills of Cleveland, and Reuben Eills and Margaret Ellis McCarley of Muncie, Ind. Friends may call at Donald E. Watson's Funeral Home, 10913 Superior Ave., where family will receive visitors Monday 7 To 9 P. M. Services Tuesday, 1 p. m. at St. James Ame Church, 8401 Cedar Ave.


July 23, 1924

Notes: Geiger-John, husband of the late Mary (nee Leiritz) father of Otto, Evelyn and Julius, Sunday, July 20, at Muncie, Ind., aged 83. Funeral from the residence of his granddaughter, Mrs. R. G. Gladden, 4907 Denison avenue, Wednesday, July 23, at 2 p.m

GIBSON, Eliza A.

The Muncie Star, Tuesday, December 9, 1952

Mrs. Eliza Gibson Dies at Age of 90

Mrs. Eliza A. Gibson, 90, widow of Garrett Gibson, died early Monday at the home of her grandson, Victor Haisley, on the Walker Road west of Yorktown. She was a native of Delaware County, the daughter of William and Lavinia Slater Applegate, and spent most of her life in this community.

Survivors include four other grandsons, Clarence Haisley of Monroe, Conn., Francis Haisley of Cannondale, Conn., Lawrence Bogue of Cambridge City and Howard Bogue of Detroit; two granddaughters, Mrs. Paul Stenberg of Gorgetown, Conn., and Mrs. Vaughn Stevens of Hagerstown; 21 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. Mr. Gibson died in 1937 and a daughter, Mrs. Bessie Haisley, died in 1951. Funeral services will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Meeks Mortuary by the Rev. Robert M. Jones, pastor of Friends Memorial Church, with burial in Union Cemetery near Eaton. Friends may call at the mortuary after 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GIBSON, Garrett

The Muncie Morning Star, Monday, March 8, 1937. Page 14 Column 4.


Garrett Gibson, 76, who formerly was a coal dealer in this city, died of heart disease at 6 o'clock last evening at his home in Eaton. Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Eliza Gibson; two daughters, Mrs. Charles Haisley of Georgetown, Conn., and Mrs. Herbert Bogue of Hagerstown; two brothers, William Gibson of Muncie and John Gibson of Kenosha, Wis., and two sisters, Mrs. Amanda Andrews of Richmond and Miss Pelina Gibson of Muncie. The body, taken to the Briggs mortuary at Eaton, will be returned to the residence this evening. Funeral arrangements will be made after the arrival of the daughter, Mrs. Haisley.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GIBSON, George Washington

The Muncie Morning Star Saturday, February 5, 1938

G. W. Gibson

Funeral services for George Washington Gibson, 90, Civil War veteran and retired Delaware County farmer, who died Thursday afternoon at Ball Hospital, will be conducted at 10:30 o' clock tomorrow morning at the Christian Chapel Church, the Rev. Lamoin Wright in charge. Burial will in Mt. Taber Cemetery. The body has been removed to the home of a daughter, Mrs. J. W. Hutchison who lives six miles south of Muncie, where friends may call. Mr. Gibson was a member of Co. I, 57th Regiment of Indiana. He was only sixteen years of age at the time of his enlistment here in September, 1863. Mr. Gibson was born in Monroe Township on March 13, 1848.

Following his enlistment in the Civil War, he was wounded in the right 865. Surviving are one son, Garret Gibson of near Muncie; four daughters, Mrs. Joseph Thornburg of near Burlington, Mrs. John Young of Jonesboro, Mrs. Elvin Gibson of Medford, and Mrs. Hutchison; three brothers, John Will Gibson of Muncie and Lewis Reece Gibson and Border Gibson both of near Medford; a sister, Mrs. Sarah Ellen Gibson Cumpton; 36 grandchildren, 53 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.

The Muncie Evening Press Saturday, February 5, 1938

George Washington Gibson, who carried the mark of Confederate bullets for nearly three-quarters of a century, died Thursday, February 13, 1938 in Ball Memorial Hospital. His death leaves Delaware County with only three living survivors of the Civil War. A native of this country, George Gibson was a familiar figure in Muncie. The crutches he brought back from the war between the states were discarded for a cane some 45 years ago and since then has been able to get around tolerably well. A youngster as Civil war Veterans go, Gibson was only 90 years old at the time of his death. He was born in Monroe Township on March 13, 1847. As was the case with many of the veterans still surviving, George had to lie about his age before he marched off to war. He was only 16 when he enlisted here in Company I, 57th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. That was September of 1863.My parent  At the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, Ga. on June 27, 1864, young Gibson was wounded in the right arm by a musket ball. He was laid up for a while and didnÕt get back to his regiment until the following October. 4 months after he was injured.He was just in time for the retreat from Decatur,Tenn. back to his next wounding, Nashville. In the battle of Franklin, Tenn. and in the skirmishes at Columbia and Spring Hill, Tenn.George escaped unhurt, but in the second days fighting at Nashville, Dec. 16, 1864, a musket ball in the left ankle crippled him for life.George lay in the hospital at Nashville until the last of December, then was released and came back to the old family home in Delaware County.That was what George Gibson got out of the war. He had been in the Army of the Tennessee 4th Army Corps, 2nd Division, 2nd Bri  Soon after the war, he married Samantha Reese and together they were blessed with 7 children, 4 daughters and 3 sons. 2 of his sons and his wife preceded him in death. George Gibson was the son of Garrett and Elizabeth Gibson, early residents of the county. He is survived by 1 son, 4 daughters, 36 grandchildren, 53 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren, 3 brothers and a sister, a total of 101 descendants. Place of burial is Taber Cemetery.

Obituary is believed to have been written by one of the daughters and may not have been published at the time. Transcribed by John R. Lambert,  gg-grandson of George Washington Gibson George, son of Garrett and Elizabeth Gibson, was born March 13, 1847. Departed this life for the great beyond February 3, 1938. As one of old has said Ō he came to his grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in in his season. His age being 90 years 10 months 19 days.

He was an old war veteran, having enlisted in the 157th Indiana Infantry, Company I, in 1863, from which he received an honorable discharge. He was not only an old war veteran, but he was veteran of the cross having given his heart to the Lord many years ago, and served him faithfully until the end of life's pilgrimage.In the year of 1868, he was united in marriage to Samantha Reese and after a happily married life of more than half a century his beloved companion slipped away to her eternal reward on May 2, 1925.

Lonely days were his after this homegoing, and he with his grandchildren, spent many days together traveling over the country and viewing the beauties. Seven children came to bless this home, three sons and four daughters. John and Nathan have proceeded him to the Spirit world. Garrett and the four daughters, Mrs. J. E. Thornburg, Mrs. J. W. Hutchison, Mrs. J. S. Young and Mrs. E. Gibson survive. He also leaves to mourn their loss, three brothers, John, Reece and Borter; one sister, Mrs. Sarah Cumpton, 36 grandchildren, 53 great-grandchildren, 3 great great grandchildren and many friends and relatives.

Contributed By: John R. Lambert, gg-grandson of George Washington Gibson

Father we will miss you,
But some day again weÕll greet you
In the Heavenly mansions fair.
Why should our tears in sorrow flow
When God recalls his own,
And bids thee leave a world of woe
For an immortal crown.
Their toils are past. Their work is done
And they are fully blessed.
They fought the fight, the victory won
And entered into rest.
Then let our sorrows cease to flow.
God has recalled his own.
And may we say with loving hearts,
Thy will, oh God, be done.

GIBSON, Rebecca E.

Monday, August 20, 1923

Mrs. Clark Gibson Dies:

Funeral Rites Tuesday

Mrs. Rebecca E. Gibson, 76, wife of Clark Gibson, 501 West Adams street, and widely acquainted Muncie resident, died at the family home at 7:30 o'clock last evening following an illness.  Funeral services will be conducted from the residence at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon in charge of Dr. Heber Dwight Ketcham, pastor of High Street M.E Church, and interment will be made in Beech Grove Cemetery.  Mrs.. Gibson is survived by the husband, two daughters, Mrs. C.D. Minton, of Portland, Ore., and Mrs. J.C.Kuch, of Anderson, and one son, Walter W. Gibson, of Los Angles, Cal.

Contributed By: Debbie Kreigh


Muncie Morning Star - December 4, 1931


GIORGIANNI - The funeral of Joseph GIORGIANNI, 57, of 923 West Eighth Street, who died Tuesday at his home, will be conducted at 10 p'clock this morning from St. Mary's Catholic church with Father Edgar CYR in charge. Burial will be in the Beech Grove Cemetery.

Contributed By: Brenda Kerr

GNAGI, Hannah E.

September 17, 1968

Notes: Gnagi. Hannah E. Gnagi, sister of the late Ida C., beloved aunt of Mrs. Charles (Olive) Terhune of Muncie, Ind., and Thomas G. of Garland, Tex., Sept. 15. Residence, Woodworth Rd., East Cleveland Services Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:30 P.M. at The Edward. Funeral Home, 13145 Euclid Ave. Interment Wapakoneta, O. Contributions in memory to The Memorial Fund, Windermere United Methodist Church will be appreciated. Visitation Hours 3-5 And 7-9 P.M. Tuesday.

GOLENOR, Agnes Burke

Agnes Burke Golenor of Muncie, Delaware Co., Indiana (dau. of William Craig of Scotland and Lady Agnes Burke "Anna" Kelley of Ireland), b. 3 Jun 1849 in NY; m. to John Wesley Golenor; she d. 3 Nov 1925, of "senility", in Muncie, Delaware Co., IN, bur. 5 Nov 1925 in Beech Grove Cemetery.

Contributed By: Laverne Galeener-Moore

GOLENOR, Benjamin Francis

Benjamin Francis Golenor, b. 29 Apr 1815 in Ohio; d. 25 Nov 1897, of "old age", in Muncie, Delaware Co., Indiana, listed as a "pauper"; he was buried in a pauper's grave because no family members came forward to claim his body (even though at least one of his sons, and others of his family lived there at  the time)

Contributed By: Laverne Galeener-Moore

  GOLENOR, George Beryl

George Beryl Golenor (listed as Beryl Golenor on record) (he was a twin of Esther Meryl Golenor and son of John Wesley Golenor and Agnes Burke Craig), b. 7 June 1889 in Greenville, Darke Co., Ohio; d. 4 May 1904, "accidentally killed by elevator", in Muncie, Delaware Co., IN; he had started employment the week before his death as an "elevator boy"; the newspaper account of the accident stated that he attempted to start the elevator while outside it, then tried to jump in, but was caught and thrown under the elevator, breaking his neck; a young boy and young girl were passengers in the elevator and witnesses as to what happened

Contributed By: Laverne Galeener-Moore

GOLENOR, John Wesley

John Wesley Golenor of 1307 South Beacon St., Muncie (son of Benjamin Francis Goleanor and Louisa Jane Scofield) (note:  he changed the spelling of his surname after serving in the army in the Civil War, because the army kept misspelling his surname), b.  as John Wesley Goleanor 13 Jan 1842 in Morrowtown, Salem twp., Warren Co., OH; d. 11 May 1922, of "influenza", in his home in Muncie, Delaware Co., IN, bur. 13 May 1922 in Beech Grove Cem.; he served in the Civil War as a Pvt., Cpl. and Sgt. in Company F, 12th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and in Company H, 23rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry from 19 Jun 1861 to 26 Jul 1865

Contributed By: Laverne Galeener-Moore


June 7, 1899 Page 1 Column 4


GOODRICK, James P. - James P. Goodrick, age 67, died Monday, four miles west of town in edge of Grant County. Born in Highland County, Ohio, November 2, 1832, came to Indiana in 1853. Eleven children, seven survive. His only brother, Isaac Goodrick, died at Granville, Saturday evening and funeral Monday. Funeral for James Goodrick held Tuesday at Elizabethtown.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson


February 21, 1943

Gottlob: Anna (nee DuBois), age 72 years, wife of the late Dr. Joseph Gottlob, formerly of Shaker Heights; beloved mother of Mrs. Paul F. Belle; Thursday, Feb. 18, at Muncie, Ind. Friends may call at the Lakewood Home of A. R. and C. F. Nunn, 15407 Detroit ave. Services Monday, Feb. 22, at St. James' Church at 10 a. m.

GRAB, Earl H.

December 10, 1967

Notes: Grab. Earl H. Grab, beloved husband of Elsa (nee Gustawes), father of Mrs. Earlyn (Glo) Hicks, of Avon, O., Glenn E. Grab, of San Fernando, Calif., and the late Mrs. Gertrude Hicks, grandfather of Roger A. Hicks, of Muncie, Ind., Lirde, Donna and Laura Hicks, Glenn E. Jr., Timothy F. and John David Grab, great-grandfather of Christopher Hicks, brother of the late Frank and John Grab and Mrs. Gertrude Ward, passed away Saturday, Dec. 9, late residence, 3302 Devonshire Rd. Please omit flowers. Memorials may be forwarded to the Broadview Baptist Church Scholarship Fund. Services at The Blush Funeral Home, 4334 Pearl Rd., Monday, Dec. 11, at 1 p.m., where friends may call from 2 To 5 And 7 To 10 P.M. Sunday.


September 17, 1946

Notes: Graham, James, 70, of 997 E. 148 Sr., Mon., Sept. 16, at his son's home, Wickliffe, O., beloved husband of Bertha, father of Martin B. of Berea and Thomas of Wickliffe. Funeral services and burial will be in Muncie, Ind.

GREEN, Miss Elizabeth H.

April 16, 1940

Notes: Green: Miss Elizabeth H., 71 Waison st., Painesville, sister of Walter B. of Cleveland, Albert R. of Washington, Conn., aunt of Phillip W. McAbee of Muncie, Ind., Miss Mary V. McAbee of Cleveland and Albert R. Green of Shaker Heights. Friends may call at the Speer Funeral Home until 11 a. m. Tuesday, April 16, when remains will be taken to St. James' Episcopal Church where services will be held at 2 p. m.

GREENE, George Washington

The Muncie Daily News
February 2, 1887
Page 4

GEORGE WASHINGTON GREENE was born in White Hall, Washington county, New York, October 6th, 1829. Died at his residence on East Adams street, Muncie, Indiana, at eleven o'clock a.m., Sunday, Jan. 30th, 1887, aged 57 years, 3 months and 24 days.

George W. Greene was one of the early settlers in Muncie. His mother, whose maiden name was Charlotte Gilbert, was a sister to Goldsmith C. William and Edmund Gilbert, who were the pioneers of Muncietown. She was first married at her home in New York to a Mr. Fuller, who died there, leaving Mr. Greene's mother his widow and one child, Susan, now Mrs. Bowen, wife of John Bowen, who lives at McLainsboro, Ill. Mrs. Fuller was afterwards married to George W. Greene, sr., and the subject of this sketch was born while they lived in New York. Mr. and Mrs. Greene with Susan, Young George and another son, came to Muncietown in 1830, and settled on the Southeast corner of Walnut and North streets where E. J. Reeves now lives, and here Geo. W. Greene, sr., died. Charles H. Greene, a third son was born about six weeks after his fathers death. Mrs. Greene was afterwards, Nov. 5th, 1837, married to William S. Collins, and the family then moved to what is now known as the Kirby pasture land, on the Middletown pike. The house then stood near where some trees of the old orchard yet remain. After their mother's death, the family was broken up, Chas. H. went to live with his uncle Edmund Gilbert, Susan went to Ohio, where she lived with a family named Sweeney, and "Wash," as he has always been familiarly called, was taken in to the family of his uncle, Goldsmith C. Gilbert, where he lived until after his uncle's death in Jan. 1844, when he worked on a farm for a man named Kirkpatrick in the northern part of this country.

He, however, soon came to Muncie again and served an apprenticeship at the Tailor's trade under William Perkins, whose shop stood on the ground now occupied by the Little Block. He took charge of the business when he had "served his time," and carried on Tailoring until he entered the army.

After his return from the war he was elected Clerk of the county in 1866, and entered upon the discharge of his duties August 23, 1867. He was re-elected and held the office until Aug. 23d, 1875, when he retired, with a record of honorable service, having made an honest, competent and efficient officer.

Since his retirement from the Clerk's office he has been engaged in no active business, but has occupied his time in looking after his property and managing a farm. Mr. Greene was married to Nancy H. Flemming [Fleming], (a sister of Mrs. Amos C. Ireland, of this city) on Oct 5th, 1851. She died at their home in Muncie Dec. 13th, 1857, aged 28 yrs., 3 months and 23 days. The first child, George, died at the age of about six months. Their second and last child, Ella, now the wife of A. B. Athey, this city, survives her father, and has been a constant and patient minister to his every want in his last illness. Her only child bears the family name, Geo. W.

By no means the least interesting part of the life of George W. Greene, was his career as a soldier. He enlisted in Co. E. of the brave old 19th. Regiment, Ind. Vols. July 29th, 1861, and was commissioned First Lieutenant immediately. Upon the honorable discharge of Capt. Luther B. Wilson, Lieut. Green was promoted Captain Co. E., and was commanding his Co. when taken prisoner at the Battle of Gettysburg, on the first day of that memorable fight, July 1st, 1863. He was first taken to Libby Prison, where he was confined for ten months, and was one of the number of daring fellows who, with Col. A. D. Streight, now of Indianapolis, tunneled their way out of that horrible prison pen and made their escape. Unfortunately, Capt. Greene was recaptured, and returned to prison. He was then confined in Danville, Macon, and Charlestown rebel prisons, until March 12th, 1865, when he was "paroled prisoner of war" and discharged at Washington, D. C.

After constant confinement in these prison pens of the South for twenty months, he was so much reduced in body and spirit, that he was very sick and unable to walk.

John Bowen and Cynthia Flemming [his sister-in-law] went immediately to Washington for him, but found him unable to travel for some time. He, however, improved so rapidly that they started home with him, and arrived in Muncie on the night of President Lincoln's assassination. He was cared for at the home of the Flemming sisters, on East Main street, and made his home with them for five years after his return. Capt. Greene never recovered from the effects of his twenty months of starvation, and prison life, and suffered constantly sometimes severely with rheumatism and bone fever, and his death was caused by a general wearing out of a once debilitated body. In the language of a member of his company, "Wash Greene was a good and faithful soldier, and a brave and efficient officer." What more praise can we award him?

Captain Greene was a generous and faithful friend, a good citizen, a kind devoted, and loving father, and the familiar face and form will be missed at his home, and in the city where "Wash" Greene was known to all.

Contributed By: Phyllis Miller Fleming

GUMP, Charles

The Muncie Morning Star, Monday August 15, 1938 Front Page Column 2

Charles Gump Drowns While Wading In Pit

Yorktown Man's Wife Saved After He Pulls Her Into Deep Water

Charles Gump, 28, R.F.D. 1, Yorktown, drowned about 9 o'clock last night in the Torrence gravel pit, three and a half miles northeast of the city on the Centennial pike. Gump, who was wading with his wife, Louise, stepped from a ledge. Neither could swim.

The drowned man grabbed his wife as he went down, pulling her over the ledge. Robert Shepherd, 513 South Franklin street, and Fred Shaw, 1611 South Grant street, went to the rescue of the screaming couple and succeeded in saving Mrs. Gump. They had hold of the drowning man, but he slipped from their grasp.

Unable To Find Body.

The body had not been recovered from the pit at an early hour this morning. Hundreds of persons lined the banks as police and firemen attempted to locate the body.

The Gumps with their two sons, Charles Howard, 8 and John Herbert, 6, were accompanied on the swimming excursion by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Shepherd, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Shaw, and Cecil Lancaster. The party left the Shepherd residence shortly before 9 o'clock.

Mrs. Gump said that she and her husband were the first to enter the water, about a minute or so after arriving at the pit. They were wading out, hand-in-hand, she said, when suddenly her husband slipped over the ledge. Grabbing frantically, Mr. Gump succeeded in clutchig his wife about the waist and both were sent floundering in the deep water.

Went Down Four Times

"It seemed like I went down four times," Mrs. Gump told Detective Mervin Collins, who was among the investigating officers. "Every time that we came up we screamed for help." she said.

Answering their cries, Shaw and Shepherd rushed to the rescue. Other members of the party, including the couple's two sons, witnessed the tragedy from the bank. Shepherd was first to reach the pair and pulled Mrs. Gump to safety. Shaw succeeded in grasping Mr. Gump, but was forced to break his hold on the struggling man after he had been twice pulled under the water.

Police were notified and Detectives Massey, Collins, Thornburg, and Artrip were hurried to the scene. The fire department was called and took lighting equipment to the pit to aid searchers seeking to recover the body.

Gump was employed as an inspector at the Chevrolet-Muncie plant, police learned. A brother of Cecil Lancaster, member of the party, was drowned in a gravel pit near Muncie several years ago, authorities said.

The Muncie Morning Star Tuesday, August 16, 1938 Pg 3 Column 2


Funeral Services For Charles Gump Tomorrow

The body of Charles Gump, 28, R.F.D.1, Yorktown, who was drowned about 9 o'clock Sunday night while wading with his wife, Louise, in the Torrence gravel pit northeast of the city, was recovered about six hours later. Detectives Massey and Thornburg removed the body with grappling hooks after Thomas Cherry, 215 South McKinley avenue, located the body by diving in about thirty feet of water. Cherry is a life guard at Tuhey pool.

Mrs. Gump was rescued by other members of the swimming party after her husband had pulled her over the ledge from which he slipped into the deep water. Robert Shepherd, 513 South Franklin street, pulled Mrs. Gump from the pit. Fred Shaw, 1611 South Grand street, attempted to bring Mr. Gump to safety, but was forced to break his hold because of Gump's struggles. Neither Mr. Gump or his wife could swim.

Surviving besides the wife are two sons, Charles Howard and John Hobert, the mother Mrs. Frank Landrey; three brothers, Kenneth and Walter of Muncie, and William of near Muncie; three sisters, Leona Gump, Frankie Landrey and Mary Dobbins.

The body was taken to the Richman-Prillaman mortuary and will be taken to the home this morning. Funeral services will be conducted at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning at the Church of the Brethren on West Jackson street with the Rev. Andrew Miller and the Rev. Russell Showalter in charge.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Charles E.

The Muncie Morning Star, Saturday, June 12, 1920

Well Known Eaton Mail Carrier Dead

Charles E. Gump, 52, well known Eaton resident and rural route carrier, died at 5 o'clock Friday morning. Mr. Gump had been in failing health for several months but continued as mail carrier until last Monday.

Besides the widow, Mr. Gump is survived by one daughter, Pauline, of Eaton; one son, Earl, of Geneva; one brother, William H., of Muncie; two sisters, Mrs. J. Rarrick, of Albany, and Mrs. Nora Cameron, of Los Angeles, Cal.; three half-brothers, Roscoe E. of Eaton; Elmer and Jeff, of Michigan, and four half-sisters, Mrs. Genieve Reynolds, Miss Lillian Gump, of Lansing, Mich.; Mrs. Alice Stout and Mrs. Pearl Paul, of Utica, O.

Funeral services will be conducted at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon in the Eaton Christian Church with the Rev. S. G. Fisher in charge. The Masons of lodge No. 606, are asked to meet in the lodge room at 1 o'clock Sunday to take part in the funeral service. Burial will be made in the union Cemetery near Eaton.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Charles H.

The Muncie Star, Thursday, July 17, 1969 Page 10

Charles H. Gump

EATON- Charles H. Gump, 38, formerly of Eaton, died Wednesday night at his home in Bloomington.

He was a Warren County native and was a self-employed plumber. He was an Army veteran and a member of Eaton United Methodist Church.

Survivors include two sons, Charles and Anthony, at home; a daughter, Deborah Sue, at home; a brother, John Gump of Kokomo, three half-brothers, Jim Futrell, Manchester, Mo., Frederick and Bob Futrell, both of Eaton; his mother and stepfather, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Futrell, Eaton; a grandmother, Mrs. Lottie Harvey, Eaton.

Services are pending at Pitman Funeral home.

The Muncie Star, Friday July 18, 1969 Page 6

Gump Services

Services for Charles H. Gump, 38, Bloomington, a former resident of Eaton, who died Wednesday, will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Pitman Funeral Home, Eaton. Rev. E.K. Smith will officiate. Burial will be in Union Cemetery, Eaton.

Friends may call at the funeral home after 2 p.m. Friday and before services Saturday.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, David

The Muncie Star, Thursday February 14, 1918


David Gump, 85, died early yesterday morning from apoplexy at his home in Eaton, where he had lived since he was 4 years old. The funeral services will be held Saturday morning at the Union Grove Church, the cortege leaving the residence at 10 o'clock. The deceased is survived by a widow, Margaret Gump; two sisters, Mrs. Rose Gibson and Mrs. Sarah Baisinger, both living near Eaton, and a stepdaughter, Mrs. Leota Collins.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Harriett

The Muncie Star, Monday, November 28, 1904


Mrs. Harriett Gump, of Eaton, Attempted to Extinguish Lamp Which Exploded, Fatally Burning Her.

Burns received nine weeks ago from the explosion of a coal oil lamp resulted in the death of Mrs. Harriett Gump at her home in Eaton yesterday afternoon about 2:30 o'clock. The deceased was the wife of David Gump and is survived by a family. A few weeks ago her daughter-in-law died of consumption and was buried in the Union cemetery, near Eaton.

Nine weeks ago Mrs. Gump attempted to blow out a coal oil lamp and an explosion resulted. She was terribly burned about the body and arms and for several days her life was despaired of, but she rallied and it was thought that she would recover. Three weeks ago she suffered a relapse and gradually became worse until her death, which has been expected for some time. The funeral will be conducted in the residence Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial will be made in Union cemetery.

(Note: Harriett was the wife of George E. Gump not David.)

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Henry

The Muncie Evening Press, Monday, November 30, 1936

Retired Farmer Dies At Home of Son Here

Henry Gump, 79, lifelong resident of Delaware County, died Saturday at the home of his son, Walter Loran Gump, 119 North Calvert St. A retired farmer, Mr. Gump served 28 years as Hamilton Township assessor. Funeral services will be conducted Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Eden Christian Church, of which he was a member. The Reverend Max Shafer and the Reverend A. E. Cortner will be in charge. Burial will be in Union Cemetery.

Although he had been in failing health a year, Mr. Gump was seriously ill only a week before his death. Surviving are the widow, Lavina; three daughters, Mrs. LeRoy Garver of Russel, Kan., Mrs. Adam Roach of Daleville and Mrs. Ira Schaefer of Muncie; five sons, Herbert E. Gump of Los Angeles, Ralph E. Gump, of Rotan, Texas, Clyde M. Gump of Auburn and Walter Loran Gump of Muncie; 10 grandchildren three great-grandchildren, and a brother, William E. Gump of Eaton. The body has been removed to the residence, six miles north of Muncie.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Martha A. - Mattie (Yohey)

The Muncie Morning Star Monday, July 13, 1936


GUMP- The funeral of Mrs. Mattie A. Gump, 70, who died Saturday noon at her home two miles south of Eaton, will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon at Eden Christian Church, the Rev. Mr. Syphers, assisted by the Rev. A. E. Cortner.

The Muncie Morning Star, Tuesday, July 14, 1936


GUMP- The funeral of Mrs. Mattie A. Gump, 70, who died Saturday noon at her home two miles south of Eaton, was held yesterday afternoon at Eden Christian Church the Rev. Mr. Syphers, assisted by the Rev. A. E. Cortner in charge.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Lavina J. (Jennie)

The Muncie Star April 4, 1937

Mrs. Henry Gump Dies At The Ball Hospital

Mrs. Lavina J. Gump, 77, died at 7 o'clock last evening at Ball Memorial Hospital following two weeks' illness. She was the widow of Henry Gump, widely known farmer, who died November 28, 1936. Mrs. Gump was born in Delaware County near Albany.

Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. LeRoy Garver of Russel, Kan., Mrs. Adam Roach of Daleville, Mrs. Ira Schaefer of Muncie; five sons, Herbert E. Gump of Los Angeles, Ralph E. and Fred E. Gump of Rotan, Tex., Clyde M. Gump of Auburn, Walter Loran Gump of Muncie; ten grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, and two brothers, George A. Murphy of Parker, Carl Murphy of Albany.

The body was taken to the Meeks mortuary and will be removed to the family residence seven miles north of the city this afternoon. Friends may call at the home. Funeral arrangements will be announced today.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Roscoe O.

The Muncie Star, Thursday, July 22, 1965 Page 6

Motorist Injured

Roscoe Gump, 77, Eaton, was admitted to Ball Hospital in satisfactory condition Wednesday after he lost control of his car and crashed into a house at Eaton.

Eaton Marshal Zane Howell said the car was a total loss. The house owned by Pearl Bassinger, 411 Indiana Ave., was damaged an estimated $150. Gump suffered head cuts and a possible fractured hip.

The Muncie Star, Monday, July 26, 1965 Page 2

Roscoe O. Gump

EATON- Roscoe O. Gump, 77, 517 S. Liberty St., Eaton, died Sunday evening at Ball Memorial Hospital, of injuries suffered in an automobile accident last Wednesday. His car crashed into a house at 411 Indiana Ave., Eaton.

Born in Union Township, he was a retired employe of the Douglas-Eaton Furniture Co. and the Sagamon Paper Mill. He was also employed as a glassblower several years ago. He attended the Eaton Church of God.

Surviving are a sister, Mrs. Lillian McKrill, Florida and a brother-in-law, Walker Blair, Eaton.

Arrangements are pending at the Pitman Funeral Home.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, Walter E. (Elwood)

The Muncie Star Wednesday May 31, 1972

Graveside Services For Walter B. Gump

Graveside services were held this morning at Beech Grove Cemetery for Walter B. Gump, 50 Chicago, Gump was shot to death Saturday night in a holdup attempt at the A & P supermarket on South Madison St.

He had been a resident of Chicago for the past 16 years and had previously lived in Florida.

Piepho and Fry Funeral Home were in charge of the services.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, William E.

The Muncie Star Saturday February 19, 1938


GUMPP- Final rites for William E. Gumpp, 73, prominent retired farmer and vault manufacturer, and life-long resident of Union Township, who died Thursday morning at Ball Hospital following an extended illness, will be conducted at the Eden Christian Church at 2 o'clock this afternoon. The Rev. Russell Sieford assisted by the Rev. A. E. Cortner and the Rev. Max Shafer, will be in charge. Burial will be in Union Cemetery.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, William H.

The Muncie Press Friday, March 24,1933 Page 7 Column 1


William H. Gump, 73, a lifelong resident of Delaware County, died Thursday afternoon at his Liberty Township home, after a brief illness. The body was removed to the Richman-Prillman mortuary at Yorktown and then to the home of Mrs. Hugh Dobbin, a daughter, 1412 East Eighth St., Muncie.

Funeral arrangements have not been completed. Surviving are two other daughters, Mrs. F. L. Futrell of Eaton, and Miss Leona Gump, of Muncie, and four sons, Charles, Kenneth and Walter Gump, of Muncie, and William Gump, of Selma.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUMP, William L.

The Muncie Evening Press June 15, 1974 Front Page & Page 11

Bill Gump slain at his liquor store.

By Warren Collier

William (Bill) Gump, owner of a liquor store at the trouble-prone corner of Willard and Hackley, was gunned down about midnight today while working in his store.

Deputy Chief Richard Heath, head of the police Investigative Bureau, said Gump was apparently shot twice behind a counter when he went to pick up merchandise for a sale.

Coroner Rodney Qualkinbush pronounced Gump dead at the scene at 12:28 a.m. An autopsy was still in progress shortly before noon to determine cause of death.

Heath, along with Investigators Paul Cox and James Winkle, were chasing leads today in an effort to locate a suspect.

The deputy chief said Capt. Marion J. Gibson Jr. and Patrolmen Gene Hayden and John Blevins answered an anonymous telephone call at 12:01 a.m. from a woman who told the desk sergeant: "You had better get police down at Chic's Liquor Store, Bill Gump has been shot."

The business was formerly Chic's Liquor Store, but the name was changed to Willard Street Liquor Store when Gump purchased it about seven years ago. Heath said the victim was found lying behind a counter face down. When police rolled him over, he was clutching a .25 automatic pistol in his right hand. Authorities said the liquor store owner had been shot twice by a large caliber weapon, probably a .32 or .38 revolver or pistol. Heath said Gump apparently bled to death before help arrived, explaining that the scene indicated Gump had "thrashed around on the floor after he was hit." One shot struck the victim on the left side, just above his waist, and the second one hit directly above his heart, according to reports.

The deputy chief said a motive for the killing is not certain. He did not rule out a holdup attempt (the store has been the target for several past holdups), but pointed out Gump had apparently seen his killer and had drawn the .25 caliber pistol to protect himself.

Heath said a pool room connected to the liquor store had been closed at 11 p.m. and the parking lot, usually heavily populated on Friday nights, was almost deserted because of rain.

"We are having difficulty locating witnesses." Heath said. "However, it appears that Mr. Gump had gone to a display case behind the counter for a can of beer to make a sale. he must have had enough time to turn around, see his attacker and get the .25 caliber pistol out of his pocket."

The deputy chief said Gump was well liked by persons who frequent the corner and those visiting the liquor store lot this morning were baffled by the shooting.

"There was nothing wrong with that man," one visitor told Heath today. "He was good - he did a lot of people a lot of favors. I don't know why anyone would want to shoot him."

The body was still in the Ball Hospital morgue at noon today. Qualkinbush said it will be taken to a funeral home as soon as the autopsy is completed. Gump was well known in Muncie. He was former owner of the Green Point tavern at Granville and Elm and the 67 Supper Club on Broadway.

The Muncie Star Sunday, June 16, 1974

No Firm Suspects Reported in Murder at Liquor Store police investigation continued Saturday into the shooting death of William Gump, 62, about midnight Friday at his liquor store at Willard and Hackley streets.

"We have no known suspects in mind," deputy police chief Richard M. Heath said Satureday night. he reported that authorities had questioned "Several" persons, including a juvenile, but that all were released.

Answering an anonymous telephone call a few minutes after midnight Friday, police found Gump lying face down, behind a counter at the Willard Street Liquor Store, which he had owned about seven years.

According to police, Gump had been shot twice by a large caliber weapon and had apparently bled to death before help arrived. Investigating officers theorize that the store owner had gone to a display case behind the counter to make a sale when he was shot. Gump had a .25 caliber pistol in his right hand when found by police.

Coroner Rodney W. Qualkinbush said Saturday afternoon that the autopsy report showed that the lethal shot that hit Gump ruptured the aorta and resulted in hemorrhaging. A second bullet entered the victim's left side and lodged against the spinal column.

A native of Hoopeston, Ill., Mr. Gump came to Muncie as a boy with his parents, the late William and Gertrude McVicker Gump. He attended Central High School.

He formerly owned the 67 Supper Club, Cozy Lodge and Green Point. Mr. Gump was a member of Hazelwood Christian Church, Elks Lodge 24 and Moose Lodge 33. Surviving are his wife, Katherine; one son, William E. Gump, Milwaukee, Ore., one daughter, Mrs. Marie Lopez, California; three stepdaughters, Mrs. Mavelyn Smith, Gaston, Mrs. Jeri Mixell, Yorktown, and Mrs. Margaret Powers, Indianapolis; one brother, Kenneth Gump, California; one sister, Mrs. Frankie Jeffers, Chillicothe, Ohio, and seven granchildren and nine step-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Monday in Hazelwood Christian Church by Dr. Robert G. Sulanke. Entombment will be in Elm Ridge Mausoleum. Friends may call at Meeks Mortuary from 2-5 and 7-9 p.m. Sunday.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

GUY, William F.

The Muncie Morning Star Jan 25,1933


Funeral services for William F. Guy, 67, who died Tuesday at his home in Sidney, O., will be conducted at 1:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at Beech Grove Chapel by the Rev. J. Walter Gibson, pastor of Avondale M.E. Church. Mr. Guy, who was born in Xenia, O., came to Delaware County with his parents, Thomas and Adeline Guy, at the age of six years. He was married October 10, 1891, to Mary Bell Triplett, who survives him. Mr. Guy was well known in this county where he resided until thirteen years ago when he returned to Ohio to farm near his old home. He was a member of the Cowan I.O.O.F. Lodge and the Portland Lodge of Eagles.

Contributed By: Gina Richardson

Back to the Index

Return to Delaware County Obituaries

Return to Delaware County INGenWeb Page

Shawn GRAY - Delaware County Coordinator:

Delaware County INGenWeb Š 2014 by Shawn GRAY

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, Data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.