Dubois County Logo

Diana Simmons Hollyfield

Diana (Simmons) Hollyfield

Jasper Courier
April 29, 1887
A LADY FROM DUBOIS COUNTY KILLED IN KANSAS. Many of our citizens will remember Miss Diana E. Simmons, a granddaughter of the late J. A. Wininger, as  a rather pretty and sprightly young lady, who was unfortunate in her first marriage venture. She went to Montgomery county, Kansas last year, and married one L. V. Hollyfield, .a real estate agent there. Mr. Corn received a letter Monday stating that on Thursday of last week her husband shot her, inflicting  a mortal wound from which she died in a few hours, and then shot himself, killing himself instantly. The particulars of this fiendish act are not given, but it is supposed to have been brought about by some difficulty in regard to her money.

File note: Diana was a granddaughter of John A. Wineinger, 1808 - 1882. Diana was a beneficiary of  John A. Wineinger's will, probated 1883, when she was a minor. She moved to Kansas in 1886 to be with her aunt Margery Ellen Wineinger and John Taylor Corn. She would have received her inheritance at age 18.

Diana (Simmons) Hollyfield

Jasper Courier
Friday June 3 1887

Mr. John T. Corn starts for Kansas today, to see to the proper distribution of the murdered lady, formerly Miss Simmons, killed by her husband, notice of which the Courier published some weeks since. He will be absent about a week.

Diana E. Wininger
mentioned in the record of L. V. Hollyfield and Diana E. Winlinger
 Name    L. V. Hollyfield     
 Birth Date     1831    
 Age     55    
 Spouse's Name     Diana E. Winlinger    
 Spouse's Birth Date     1867    
 Spouse's Age     19    
 Event Date     29 Dec 1886    
 Event Place     Dennis, Labette, Kansas  

Courtesy of Cathy Clark

Junction City, Kansas Daily Union
Saturday April 23, 1887

Killed His Young Wife

About ten o'clock yesterday at Mortimer Station, fifteen miles west of here, Colonel L. V. Hollyfield, after shooting and fatally wounding his wife, shot himself through the heart, dying instantly. He was formerly a merchant of Parsons and was fifty-six years old. His wife was nineteen. The couple were married about four months ago. Temporary insanity was the probable cause.

Courtesy of Cathy Clark

Parsons, Kansas Daily Sun
Sunday April 24, 1887

The Hollyfield Tragedy

Coroner Dorsey held an inquest on the remains of L. V. Hollyfield, who killed his wife and then himself at Mortimer Friday morning. The chief points brought out by the inquest are that the shooting took place about 9 o'clock. Miss Annie E. Corson, who lives with her parents opposite the Hollyfield residence, testified that she was at their house a few minutes before the shooting and that Hollyfield and his wife were then quarrelling. Reuben Uhl tesfified that he saw Hollyfield and his wife in the store a few moments before the shooting. A few moments later he saw Hollyfield come out of the store holding his wife by the arm and leading her around to the front door of their residence, and that they went into the house and Hollyfield locked his wife in a room. A few moments later, he heard a shot in the direction of the house, followed by a woman's scream, and then another shot. George Newton testified that a few moments prior to the shooting he was standing on the steps of the Corson residence opposite Hollyfield's when Mrs. Hollyfield screamed for help. Hollyfield and his wife were locked up in a room and he refused to let her out. Newton called to his aid Governor and Tom Mortimer, and they proceeded to break the door down to rescue Mrs. Hollyfield, when they were stopped by Hollyfield shooting through the door at them. An instant later two more shots were fired in quick succession and Mrs. Hollyfield came to the door and said that Hollyfield had shot her and killed himself. They then broke the door down and went into the room. Hollyfield was dead and Mrs. Hollyfield fatally wounded. They at once carried her across  the street to Corson's residence, and summoned a physician. Further testimony shows that Mrs. Hollyfield had decided to leave her husband and had gone back home for clothes. He endeavored to persuade her not to leave him, but she was firm in her determination, and the terrible tragedy followed. On Hollyfield's body, $1,105.04 in money was found and on her person three hundred dollars. Mrs. Hollyfield lived until about 6 o'clock yesterday morning and died in great agony from her wounds. Hollyfield was in this city on Wednesday and while getting shaved at Davis & Cash's barber shop he told Cash about his troubles with his wife and said that before any other man should  have her he would kill her and then kill himself.

Courtesy of Cathy Clark