Sherritt Cemetery
Boone Township
38 27' 0.5" N  86 57' 33.1" W

Sherritt Cemetery is the oldest known burial ground in Dubois County, situated on the Buffalo Trace in Boone Township.

The first white settler in Dubois County, William McDonald, War of 1812, is among the fist to be buried here July 1818. By the spring of 1992, the cemetery had deteriorated badly, and was in dire need of repair. A team of volunteers, consisting of John Fierst, Lillian Doane, Vivian Myers and Del Himsel identified all known burials and from a previous census, the original placement of the fallen markers. In probing for buried stones, Del was rewarded with a stone for his 2nd great grandmother, Margaret Hopkins, found 1-1/2 feet underground.
Restoration began May 5, 1992 by volunteers Del Himsel, Gerald Frye, Jon Himsel, Gary Brown, John Fierst, Wayne Lytle and George Brown. At the end of the day, 104 stones had been restored. An additional 21 stones were restored in 2010. A violent wind storm April 19, 2011 resulted in the breakage of 24 stones, which were restored by Del and Jon Himsel in May, 2011. Two large stones were re-set by Eaton Monuments at no charge.
In 2011, the Dubois County Historical Society approved a memorial marker listing the names and dates of all known to be buried here, which was  placed in 2012. To see all current memorial markers and a panoramic view of the cemetery, click HERE.
Click Each Image Below To Enlarge

Before Restoration

Before Restoration

Before Restoration

Before Restoration

Before Restoration

Before Restoration

The Crew

Support Crew

Work In Process

Work In Process

Finished

Finished

Finished

Finished

Finished