ARMSTRONG, Lewis P.
Lewis P. ARMSTRONG
Source: Beckwith, H. W. History of Fountain County, Indiana
Chicago: HH Hill, 1881 p 404
ARMSTRONG, Lewis P., physician and surgeon, Harveysburg, was b. in Montgomery County In June 28, 1836. His father, Samuel Armstrong, was a native of NJ, and his mother, Anna ( HILMON ) Armstrong, was b. in Ky, and moved with her parents to Montgomery County IN in an early day. Samuel Armstrong left NJ and came to Mont County about 1822 and settled in Union Twp He afterward owned property in Crawfordsville and also on Scott's prairie. He d. in 1839, no. of Crawfordsville. His wife d. in 1867. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They left 6 children. Lewis P. Armstrong was quite weakly when young and lived with his mother, who was a tailoress. When he was 8 years old he moved with his mother to Union Co, IN then to Cass Co. Lewis attended school 3 years at the Logansport Seminary. He followed teaching in Cass and Carroll counties and two terms in Il. In 1859 he began reading medicine with Dr. JQ Howell of Mt. Vernon, In. He read two years, then one year with Dr. SF Landry of Galveston In. He then attended parts of two terms of lectures at Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College. Dr. Armstrong then located for the practice of his profession at Harveysburg in 1863. In 1865 he moved to Marysville, IL and four years afterward returned to Harveysburg. In the term of 1873 and 1874 he attended Miami Medical College from the term of 1873 and 1874 he attended Miami Medical College from which he grad. in 1874; then continued his practice at Harveysburg. Dr. Armstrong owns 140 acres of land and town property. He is a strong republican and a Mason. He was marr. in 1864 to Hannah TOWELL, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Towell. She was b. in Orange Co, IN and was brought by her parents to Montgomery County when she was 3 years old. They are members of the Meth. Episcopal church. They have 4 children, two boys and two girls.