TO THE GREAT BEYOND

John B. Massey Breathed His Last, Monday Afternoon


    Death Claims the Victim of the Footpad's Club


  The grim reaper has called the spirit of John B. Massey to the great beyond and the villain or villains who wielded the baseball bat on the night of April 30 stand guilty of murder, cold blooded and brutal murder, in the eyes of God and man, although the identity of the murderers is not known.

  John B. Massey died Monday afternoon, about 2 o'clock, after a period of intense suffering, physical and mental.  For about 18 days and nights he lay with his terrible injuries, fighting off the death angel with grim determination.  His splendid constitution was not easily conquered and the final dissolution of body and spirit was prolonged to a great extent.  Death had been expected for several days before it finally came.  The physicians saw that their best efforts would not bring Mr. Massey to recovery and all they could do at the last was to relieve to some extent his terrible sufferings.  When the fact of the death of Mr. Massey was announced it caused a profound sorrow in the community and renewed the indignation against the man responsible for the crime.  The thoughts of such a brutal holdup being committed in this city, the foot-pads escaping with no clue to their identity, and now that their victim, after suffering untold agonies for a long period, had finally succumbed, such thoughts were enough to make our citizens desire, with one accord to wreak summary vengeance on the perpetrators of the bloody deed.


  John Bedford Massey was born in Paoli, Orange County, Ind., October 3, 1841.  On account of the death of his mother when he was still an infant, he was taken to Owensville, this county, where he passed his boyhood days.  At the outbreak of the civil war Mr. Massey enlisted in company H, 17th Indiana Infantry, and served his full term.  As a soldier he was brave and fearless and ever ready to do any duty for which he might be called upon.

  After passing through three years of the times that tried men's souls, Mr. Massey returned to Owensville.  In October, 1865, he was married to Miss Julia Kirkpatrick.  To this union were born nine children, six sons and three daughters, all of whom, together with the wife and mother, survive, except one son Charlie, who died some years ago.  Mr. Massey moved to this city about 27 years ago and has resided here ever since.  A part of the time he resided on his farm east of town, but of recent years he has lived in the city in order to be near his business.  Mr. Massey was a man of a cheerful, kindly disposition, warmhearted and friendly with all classes alike.  Death coming in such a terrible form is a doubly sad bereavement to the family of the deceased and the deepest sympathy of the public is expressed for them in their affliction.

  The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the family residence, corner Seminary and Chestnut streets, being conducted by Rev. A M. Campbell of the U. P. Church and Rev. W. D. Landis of the C. P. Church.  Mr. Massey was a member of the G.A.R. and I.O.O.F. orders and the local lodges attended the funeral in a body and conducted the ritualistic services at the grave in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.