Princeton Clarion newspaper, Thursday, December 16, 1897


The Death of Erastus R. Pinney Occurred at Albany, New York, Saturday Afternoon

The many friends of Erastus R. Pinney were greatly surprised and grieved to hear of his death, which occurred last Saturday, December 11, 1897, at his home in Albany, N.Y.  The first intimation of his serious sickness came in the shape of a telegram to his brother, John Pinney, of this city, Saturday morning.  This was followed a few hours later by a message announcing his death.

          Mr. Pinney was born and raised in this place.  At an early age he became an apprentice in the CLARION office, then under the management of his brother-in-law, A.J. Calkins, and he followed the printing business for several years, working in this and in other offices.  In 1877 he became deputy postmaster, on the accession of Mr. A.J. Calkins to that office.  When Mr. Calkins resigned in 1883, Mr. Pinney secured the appointment and served as postmaster until relieved by a democratic successor in 1885.

          After leaving the postoffice he engaged in the drug business.  He was a member of the firm of Pinney and Woods, which was burned out in the big fire of 1893.  The firm did not resume business again and Mr. Pinney went to Albany, N.Y., where he engaged in business with the Hisgen Axle Grease Company. He has made his home in that city ever since; latterly he has been working in a printing office.

          He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his untimely death.  His brother, John Pinney, of this city, and his sister, Mrs. Amy Calkins, of Mt. Vernon, are the only two surviving members of what was once a prominent family among the early citizens of Princeton.


          The remains of Erastus R. Pinney, accompanied by the bereaved wife and her brother, Henry Hisgen, arrived Tuesday morning from Albany, N.Y. A delegation of Ascalon lodge, Knights of Pythias, met the funeral party and acted as escort to the residence of Mr. John Pinney, a brother of the deceased.

          The funeral was held at Cumberland Presbyterian church yesterday afternoon at two o’clock and the exercises were conducted by the Rev. Landis.  Interment followed in the I.O.O.F. cemetery, under the auspices of the Knights of Pythias.