Princeton Indiana newspaper Friday June 20, 1913





Had Committed Suicide by Strangulation---Worry Over Health and Business Probable Cause


 The citizens of Princeton were shocked this morning to learn that Dr. Olive Taylor, well known optician and one of the city’s most esteemed women, had ended her own life sometime Thursday night, June 19, 1913, the body being found in her room, at the residence of Mr. J. H. Ashmeade, about 7:30 o’clock this morning. Death had been caused strangulation. Window curtain cord was wrapped three times about the neck and the other end was tied about the top of the hot water heating radiator. The physician called after the discovery says life had been extinct about eight hours.

Dr. Taylor went home from Hallett’s Thursday night at eleven o’clock and the act must have been committed between that hour and midnight. She had attired for bed.

Dr. Taylor has made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Ashmeade for many years at the corner of State and Prince streets. When she did not come down stairs at the usual hour this morning, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ashmeade was sent to call her. She knocked repeatedly on the door without response. The door was found to be locked and Mrs. Ashmeade, fearing something was wrong, sent for Mr. Ashmeade to come and investigate. It was necessary for him to gain entrance through a window by way of a porch roof. The discovery followed and a physician was immediately called.  Shortly afterwards the coroner was notified.

The suicide of Dr. Taylor came without warning or any intimation that she ever contemplated such an act. Throughout her life she had been known as of a jovial nature, independent in spirit and extremely optimistic. It has been learned today, however, that she had suffered from melancholy for several weeks past because of health and business. This worry, in connection of the extreme heat of the past few days, so depressed her that there is little doubt her mind was, at least temporarily affected, leading her to take the extreme measure for relief.

 Dr. Olive Taylor would have been forty-eight years of age next Monday, June 23. She was the daughter of the late Hayes B. Taylor and spent practically all her life in Princeton. She held a license as a practicing optician and for twenty years was with the Vollmer jewelry store, where she did the jewelry engraving work in addition to practicing her profession.

Surviving are two brothers, Harvey Taylor, of California; John S. Taylor, of this city, and a step-sister, Mrs. J. H Ashmeade.

The funeral will be held at the Ashmeade residence Sunday afternoon, June 22, 1913, at 5:30 o’clock, and will be conducted by the Rev. Dr. E. G. Hildner, of the First Presbyterian church. The internment will be in the Odd Fellows cemetery.

Dr. ‘Ollie’ Taylor was known by practically all citizens of Princeton. She was of a jovial disposition and in her social circles was the life of any gathering. Her nature and her daily life would preclude any thought of her life coming to a close in such a tragic manner. The legion of friends mourn today the loss of a sincere friend and much beloved companion. To the bereaved relatives the sympathy of the community is extended in this sad hour.