Orgiinally Located on Moore's Bridge Road. See brief history below pictures.
|View from the west approach, ca 1950.|
Photo courtesy of Kenneth "Ken" Buttry.
|Vintage Postcards (undated)|
|History of Moore's Bridge.|
John Cam Moore (b.1839) was a respected farmer, but his real claim to fame is as the builder of the Moore Covered Bridge. The bridge crossed the Patoka River in section 22, Township 1 South, and Range 10 West on County Road 375 North (which is now known as Moore Bridge Road) in Gibson County. The single span, Smith-Truss structure had a length of 150 feet, 160 if you included the five-foot overhang at each end. The bridge had a portal clearance of 14 feet wide by 12 feet 6 inches high. The bridge was built in Chicago in 1876 using oak for the floor supports. The structure was broken down and shipped by train to Gibson County where it was assembled in 1877. John Cam Moore, Jr. supervised the building of the bridge that would bear his name. The bridge had oak floor supports, and redwood siding and roof. In later years the bridge was painted white.
The Moore Covered Bridge was listed in the 1972 World Guide as #14-26-02 and was closed to traffic on September 22, 1978. The structure had survived decades of weather and floods, however it was not strong enough to withstand a large truck. The truck damaged the overhead beams, compounding stress already caused by overweight traffic. The estimated cost to repair the bridge was placed at $23,000. The county decided to quickly remove the old bridge before winter weather set in. There was some consideration given to moving the bridge to the fairgrounds, however, the estimated $50,000 cost to make the move was deemed too expensive.
After the bridge was taken down a local Moore descendant used some of the bridge timbers to build a porch on the front of an old restored cabin. Others collected pieces of the bridge as souvenirs.
In its glory days the bridge was a popular gathering place for the men in the area to meet, play cards and shoot the breeze. Children would gather here to swim in the river, and in later years, on Halloween, the kids would grab whatever they could to block the bridge as a prank.
Source: Lucie's Genealogy Family Tree (http://www.luciefield.net/extree/getperson.php?personID=I2665&tree=Field)
Source: Statistics from Bridgehunter.com http://bridgehunter.com/in/gibson/moore-covered/
|The Old Red Covered Bridge - Built in January of 1875|
Located in western Wabash Township.
|View from the southeast approach.|
|View of interior.|
|View of the northwest approach.|
|The Wheeling Bridge -- Built in 1877|
Located in Washington Township at the west edge of the town of Wheeling.
|View of the west approach.|
|View of interior.|
|View of the east approach (leaving Wheeling.)|