COUNTY(By W. P. Hendricks,
Biographical and Historical Souvenir
for the Counties
Clark, Crawford, Harrison, Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott and
Citizens of Madison, County Seat of Jefferson
PAUL, was the fourth child and second son of Michael Paul and Ann
Parker, who were married at Germantown about the year 1751 or 1752. Michael Paul
was a native of Holland. Michael Paul was a native of Holland. The time and
place of his birth is unknown, as is also the date of his emigration to
this country, and the fact as to whether he came alone, or with others of his
father's family; however, it is known that he had two brothers who lived at the
same place-Germantown, Penn. He left Germantown in the year of 1766 or 1777, and
went to Redstone, Old Fort, now Brownsville, Penn. From there he went to what is
now West Virginia, and from there, in 1781, to Hardin county, Kentucky, where he
died in 1801.
Ann Parker was born in Germantown, Penn., in the
year 1724. She belonged to the order of the Dunkards. She was a cousin to Rev.
Samuel Davis, D.D., a noted Presbyterian preacher of that day, and president of
one of the early theological schools of Pennsylvania and New Jersey (perhaps of
Princeton.) She died in Hardin county, Ky., in June, 1813, at the age of 89.
They were the parents of seven children.
John the subject
of this sketch, being the fourth. He was born in Germantown, Penn., November
12th, 1758, and died June 6th, 1830, in Madison, Ind. He went with his father to
Brownsville and to Virginia, and after-wards to Kentucky.
year of 1778, he went with the expedition of Gen. Geo. Rogers Clark in the
campaign against the Indianas in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. The expedition went
by boats from Louisville, Ky., to Kaskaskia (now) Illinois. When they debarked
at Kaskaskia, the soldiers had to wade for a great distance in water up to the
armpits, carrying their guns and powder horns above their heads to keep them
dry, before reaching the fort. In 1794, he was married to Miss Sarah Thomberry
Grover, at Danville, Ky. She was born in or near Baltimore, Md., March 21st,
1775, and went to Kentucky with her parents somewhere in the decade of 1780.
They had four children, Mary Berry, the oldest, dying quite
In 1809, Col. Paul left Xenia and came to the Indiana
Territory, landing with his family at the point where Madison now stands, on
October 6th. Previous to this, he had gone to the "Vendue" of public lands at
Vincennes, where he bought the land upon which New Albany now stands. Upon his
trip home from that sale he stopped at his purchase to fix a home, but
concluding that it was an unhealthy locality, he prospected along the river for
a more healthy situation. He decided upon the present site of Madison as being
best suited to his wishes, and went home to Ohio to await the opening of the
sales at Jeffersonville where this land was to be sold. In the spring of 1809,
he went to the sale and bought the land, and returned home and arranged for the
immediate removal of his family to this place, where he afterwards lived till
Col. Paul was a man full of the milk of human
kindness. His benefactions in the way of property for public uses are seen all
along the pathway of his life. At Xenia, Ohio, he gave the site for the
court house. In Madison, the ground for the old graveyard, on Third street; the
site for Wesley Chapel Church, now the opera house. In Ripley county,
Indiana, the ground for the graveyard in Versailles, and ground for the Academy.
He was a practical surveyor, and a very good judge of the quality of land; as is
proven by the fact that a great many tracts of the best land in this county
and Ripley were bought by him from the United States government.
He was a man endowed by nature with all of the elements of a leader amongst men,
and he was one. In this day and generation he would have been called an athlete
on account of his strength, activity, and powers of endurance.
He was tall, of a fine attractive physique; he had a commanding appearance. Kind
hearted, he was gentle in manner to alll, tender to those in distress;
magnanimous, he was generous to a fault, always a friend to the poor and
helpless, and ready to lift up and help forward young men. He was beloved by his
friends, and respected by all men who knew him, even by his enemies,-for,
like all men of positive character, he had them. He was an energetic business
man, and engaged in farming, milling and real estate business. He was the first
representative in the Territorial Assembly from this part of Clark county, and
was a member of the Legislature after this county was organized. He was elected
as Senator from Switzerland and Jefferson counties to the first Legislature of
the State of Indiana, which convened at Corydon, Monday, November 4th, 1816. He
was called to the chair of the Senate as President pro tempore, and was
the first presiding officer of the State.
He was the first
Clerk and Recorder of this county, which offices he held for many
Col. Paul was the first clerk of Green County, Ohio, and
laid out the town of Xenia in that county. He also named Jefferson county
and Madison town.
Col. John Vawter, in a letter written in 1850,
says of Col. Paul: "He was one of George Rogers Clarke's men in the
expedition against the British posts at Detroit, Mich., and Kaskaskia, Ill. He
was at the capture of Vincennes in 1779, February 24th."
time he located in this county, his family consisted of himself and his wife,
Miss Ruth Grover, a niece of his wife who made her home with them, and
three children; the eldest, Ann Parker, was born March 18th, 1799, in
Harding county, Ky., John P., who was born in Greene county, Ohio, December
23rd, 1800, and Sarah G., who was born March 21st, 1802, in Greene county,
Ann Parker was married May 19th, 1816, to William
Hendricks. From this union were born nine children. She died September 12, 1887,
in the 89th year of her age. John Peter Paul was a graduate of Washington
College, and became a surveyor. He was married to Miss Eliza Meek. He died in
September, 1835, in Clark county, in the thrity-fifth year of his age. Sarah G.
Paul was married three times; her fist husband was Dr. Robert Cravens, who died
leaving one son, Judge John R. Cravens (who still resides in Madison); her
second husband was Dr. Samuel M. Goode, who died leaving one son now living
here in the city, and known as Dr. Goode. Her third husband was B.C. Stevenson,
a Methodist preacher. She died in September 14th, 1877, aged---. Mrs. Paul, the
mother of the family, died May 8th, 1866, in the 92nd year of her
Col. Paul and his wife and daughter, Mrs. Stevenson, are
all buried in the old graveyard on Third street, in the city of
HENDRICKS L.L.D., was born in Ligonier Valley, Westmoreland
county, Penn., Nov. 12th, 1782. His parents were Abraham and Ann (Jamison)
Hendricks. He was brought up on a farm, and educated himself, laboring at
different occupations in order to make the money for his support during his
school and college life.
Among other labors, he was a hand
in a powder mill or factory for one year. When he was fitted by his studies for
the calling, he taught school, and finally by means made by his occupation,
finished his course at college at Cannonsburgh, Pa., in the year 1810.
After graduating he came west to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he studied law in the
office of Mr. Corry, teaching school in order to support himself for the
bar. He reamined in Cincinnati till the year 1812, when he came to Madison where
he settled, and lived all the remainder of his life, excepting two years which
he spent at Coryden, while he was Governor of the State. In the records of the
common pleas court of Jefferson county, Indian Territory, July 5th, 1813,
is this entry: "William Hendricks presented to the court license as counsellor
and attorney at law, and thereupon took the oath required by the laws of the
In connection with Wm. Cameron, he established a
printing office and published a paper called the Western Eagle, the
first issue of which was dated Madison, Indiana Territory, May 26th, 1813. It
was the second paper printed in the State, the Western Sun
being the first-published at Vincennes. He sold his interest to Cameron in
In the spring of 1813 he was made Secretary of the
Territorial Legislature, at Vincennes, which was then the seat of government.
"The Legislature of Indiana Territory was not convened in the year 1812;
but on the 18th of December in that year, General John Gibson, the Secretary and
acting Governor of the Territory, issued a proclamation, in which he required
the Territorial legislature to meet at Vincennes, on the 1st of February,
1813." (Dillon's History of Indiana, page 517.)
summer of 1814 he elected as a member of the Territorial
In June, 1816 he was appointed Secretary of the
Convention to form a State Constitution. This convention met at Corydon,
the seat of Government for the State, on the 10th day of June, and
adjourned on the 29th day of the same month, having completed their work, and
made the first Constitution for the State of Indiana.
In August, 1816, he was elected as
the first and sole Representative to Congress from the State, and served three
successive terms, until 1822, when he was elected Governor. He removed to
Corydon (then the seat of government) in the fall of 1822, and lived
there until the spring of 1825. The trip was made from Madison to
Jeffersonville in a flat boat, in which was carried all of his household
furniture and goods, besides the horses, on which the rest of the journey, from
Jeffersonville to Corydon, was made. There were three families on the flat boat,
(or broad horns as they were then called) Mr. Samuel Merrill, and family,
and Mr. Douglass and family, and a Mr. Virgus and family. The last two were
printers. Douglass went to Indianapolis, and Virgus afterwards to
During the last winter of his term as Governor, he
was elected to the U.S. Senate, and resigned his position as Governor, in order
to take his seat in the Senate on the 4th of March, 1825. He was re-elected to
the U.S. Senate on the 4th of March, 1825. He was re-elected to the U.S.
Senate in 1830-31, and served altogether twelve years in that
He made the journey to the capital, usually, on horseback,
as far as Ligonier Valley, Pennsylvania, thence to Washington by stages. On one
of these journeys, his wife accompanied him on horseback, riding the entire
distance from their home in Madison, Indiana, to the city of
These horseback journeys occupied from
two to three week's time, depending upon the condition of the roads and the
Gov. Hendricks' political opinions were tryly
Democratic. He was never elected to any position as a partisan, and never gave a
strictly partisan vote, but voted for those measures which, in his belief, were
best for this country and constituents. When he ran for Governor he had no
opponent. No other man in the history of the State has been so
In 1840 he was one of the State electors on the Van
Buren ticket; and it was during this campaign that he contracted bronchitis,
from which he suffered all of his subsequent life. This was his last political
campaign, as the condition of his throat prevented public speaking, and he
was afterwards engaged only in his personal affairs. May 19th, 1816, he was
married to Miss Ann P. Paul, eldest daughter of Col. John Paul, of Madison. (see
Col. Paul's sketch in this book). Gov. Hendricks and wife were the parents of
nine children; William, who died an infant, Sarah A.; John A., who was killed at
the battle of Pea Ridge, Ark.; Josiah G.; W.P. Paul--died Dec. 17th 1885; Thomas
who died December, 1863, from effects of a wound received at Icaria, La.; Mary,
who died an infant, and Ellen C. Sarah Ann and W.P. are now (1889) living in
Madison Ind.; J. Grover (Josiah G.) is living in Wisconsin, and Ellen C. in Springfield, Mo.
On the 16th day of May, 1850, he died at the house on his farm,
where he had gone that morning, as was his custom to seperintend the
construction of a burial vault. He climbed the hill on foot, and the exertion
brought on a paroxsym of heart condition, which he had been subject to for
some years previous, from which he died that night at 11
Gov. Hendricks was a man of comanding appearance;
six feet in height, handsome in face and figure; he was of a ruddy complexion
with black hair and blue eyes. He was easy in manners, of a kind and genial
disposition. He was a man who attracted the attention of all, and won the warm
friendship of many. He was brought up in the Presbyterian faith in religion
and early united with that church, and lived a consistant, earnest
The literary degrees of A. B., in 1810,
A.M. and L.L.D. were conferred upon him by Washington College,
"William Wesley Woolen, in his biographical and
historical sketches of early Indiana, says of Gov. Hendricks;*****Thus it will
be seen that for twenty-one years- from 1816 to 1837- he
served without intermission the people of Indiana in the three
highest offices within their gift."
"Men who found empires
should not be forgotten. They plant the tree of civil liberty, and water its
roots, while those who come after them but trim its branches to preserve its
symmetry. If they plant carelessly and in poor soil the tree will have but a
sickly growth. That the men who planted Indiana in the wilderness sixty-seven
years ago, planted wisely and well is evidenced by its wonderful
"William Hendricks had as much to do with laying
the foundations of this great State and commencing its superstructure as any
other man, excepting Jonathan Jennings only, and yet how
few there are who know he ever lived."*******
the first revision of the laws of the State and had it printed on his own press.
The Legislature offered to pay him for this work, but he declined all
pecuniary compensation. It then passed a resolution of thanks, the only return
for his labor he would take."
Gazaetteer of 1850 thus speaks of him:
Hendricks was for many years by far the most popular man in the State. He had
been its sole Representative in Congress for six years, elected on each occasion
by large majorities, and no member of that body, probably, was more attentive to
the interests of the State he represented, or more idustrious in arranged all
the private or local business entrusted to him. He left no letter
unanswered; no public office or document did he fail to visit or examine on
request; with personal manners very engaging, he long retained his
"Governor Hendricks was of a family that occupies
a front place in the history of Indiana. There is probably no other one in
the State that has exerted so wide an influence upon its politics and
legislation as his. His eldest son, John Abraham, was captain in the Mexican
war, and a lieutenant-colonel in the war of the rebellion. He was killed in the
battle of Pea Ridge, while in command of his regiment. Another son, Thomas, was
killed in the late war, during Gen. Banks' campaign up Red river. A brother and
a nephew sat in the State Senate, and another nephew, Hon. Thos. A. Hendricks,
has received the highest honors his State could confer upon
Since the above was written, by Mr. Woollen, Hon. Thomas
A. Hendricks was elected to the Vice-Presidency of the United States, and has
gone to the grave. He was also United States Senator from Indiana, and
Commissioner of Pensions.
JAMES F. D.
LANIER was born in the bounty of Beaufort in the State of North
Carolina, November 22nd, 1800.
His father was Alexander Chalmers Lanier, and
his mothers' maiden name was Sarah Chalmers. His first paternal ancestor in this
country was Thomas Lanier, a Hugenot of Bordeaux, France, who fled from the
religious persecutions, about the middle of the seventeenth century, going first
to England and afterwards to this country, and settling in North
Soon after the birth of the subject of this sketch,
his father removed to Bourbon county, Kentucky, and in 1807 he removed to Eaton,
Ohio, where the childhood of Mr. Lanier was spent. In 1817 his father
removed to Madison, Indiana, where he died in 1820, leaving a widow and one
Mr. Lanier's early education was of a limited character,
both as to time and extent of studies. About eighteen months in Eaton at a
common school, and in 1815-16, about a year and a half at an academy at Newport,
Kentucky, and about the samelength of time after he came to Madison, at a
private school, comprises it.
At Eaton he was employed in a
store of general character, and there got the foundation of his business
education. In 1819 he commenced the study of law in the office of Alexander A.
Meek, and finished his legal studies by a course at the Transylvania Law School
in Kentucky, graduating in 1823. He commenced the practice of law in Madison,
practicing in the southeastern district of Indiana, which comprised a number of
In 1824 he appointed Associate Clerk of the
House of Representatives of the State Legislature, and continued i that
position till 1837, when he was made principal clerk of that body. His salary as
clerk was $3.50 per day. In 1833 he went into the Madison Branch of the State
Bank, which was chartered in that year, and took a prominent share in the
management of it. He was made Pension Agent for a portion of the Western
States in 1837.
In 1849, he removed to New York City, for the
purpose of engaging more largely in railroad operations, forming a copartnership
with Mr. R.H. Winslow in the business of negotiation of rairoad securities and a
general banking business. He continued in this business in New York till his
death in August, 1881.
In 1819, he was married to Miss Elizabeth
Gardiner, of Kentucky, by whom he had eight children, of whom six are now
living; Elizabeth G., Washington City, widow of Gen. Wm. M. Dunn; Drusilla
D., wife of Judge John R. Cravens, Madison, Ind., the eldest; Margaret Pangelly,
'Morristown, N.J.; Mrs. Mary Stone, New York City, and Mr. Charles Lanier, of
New York City.
He was married a second time in 1849 to Miss
McClure, of Chambersburg, Pa., by which marriage he had one daughter, Katie, who
is a widow residing at Lennox, Mass., and one son who died young. His widow
survives him and lives at Lennox.
was a man of strange habits and life. Born at the town of Cambridge,
Dorchester Co., Maryland, of wealthy parentage, in the year 1775, he migrated to
Indiana Territory in 1808. He led a solitary, secluded life for some years,
avoiding all society, occupying himself entirely with hunting, and his
books. Disappointment in a love affair was understood to have been the cause of
his course of life at the time. He seems to have been attracted by the beauty of
Fair Prospect Point, for we find him settled there probably as early as 1808. He
remained there until about 1815, when he sold his land of George Logan. (see
Logan's sketch before).
In the records of the Common Pleas Court
of the date of Thursday, Oct. 22d, 1812, we find the following entry: "Gen.
Christopher Harrison took the place of Williamson Dunn as Judge of the Common
Pleas Court." A previous entry of the same court shows that General Christopher
Harrison was acting as one of the grand jurors of the court. He seems to have
given up the secluded life he had been living at this time, for we notice his
name on the records of the court up to the time he sold out his land. He went to
Salem from here in 1815, and engaged in keeping one of the frontier stores,
dealing in all articles in use at that time by the frontier settlers. Jonathan
Lyons, one of the proprietors of the town of Madison, was engaged in the
business with him.
He still retained some
peculiarity of character as will be seen by the following quotation from a
sketch of his life in "Biographical and Historical Sketches of Early
Indiana," by W.W. Woollen (to whom I am indebted for some of my incidents.
"While at Salem, Christopher Harrison lived alone.
His dwelling was a little brick house of two rooms, on of them barely large
enough for a bed. An old colored woman came each morning to tidy up the
house and put things in order, and with this exception, no one scarcely ever
entered his door. But the lot upon which it stood was often visitied. It was
fifty feet on way by one hundred the other, and nearly every foot of it not
covered by the house was planted in flowers. Here the boys and girls of the town
would come for flowers, and seldom did they go away empty handed. The
master of the house made bouguets and gave to them, drew pictures for them, and
in many other ways sought to please and make them happy."
Harrison was elected Lieutenant Governor of the State of Indiana on the first
Monday in August in the year 1816. First Lieut. Governor of the State. He
resigned his position as Lieut. Governor because the Legislature did not think
as he did on a subject which has divided the Supreme Courts of the State since
that time. That is, whether a law of the State restricting the governor to that
office only, is a tenable and binding one or not. It was set aside in
this case and in several others, by high handed assumption and
sustained by personal friends of Gov. Jennings who were in the Legislature. Soon
after Gov. Harrison quit business and went onto a farm, and a few years after
returned to the scenes of his nativity in Maryland, where he died at the age of
Lieut. Gov. Harrison was a gentleman of culture
and education, and well fitted for any position to which he aspired, but he
lacked in suavity of manner and tact; qualities very necessary in the make up of
a successful politician.
CAPT. ISAAC CHAMBERS-Capt.
Chambers was born in Melton county, Kentucky, May 18th, 1795, and was raised on
a farm. His education was quite limited. He was in the war of 1812-15, and was
at the battle of New Orleans. After the battle he walked to his home in Kentucky
and raised a crop there; and then came to Indiana and entered a tract of land in
Jefferson county in the fall of 1815. He built him a cabin and then returned to
Kentucky. In the year following he removed his family to his land in (what is
now) Monroe township, Jefferson county, Indiana. He was a man who was respected
by his neighbors and by the citizens of the whole county. He was a good citizen,
honorable, honest and upright in all his dealings with his fellow
In 1840 he was elected as a member of the State
Legislature from this county. He was a captain in the State
In his youth he flat-boated on the Ohio and Mississippi
rivers. Upon his return home from one of his trips to New Orleans, he was taken
sick, and stopped behind the other men who were traveling with him, as they
supposed to die. Fortunately he fell into the hands of an old Spanish woman, who
understood his case and cured him so quickly that he, by taking a short route,
was enabled to overtake his comrades before they got home. When he approached
their camp they supposed that it was his ghost and were very
much frightened, but finally he was able to prove to them that it was
himself and no ghost, and they journeyed hom to Kentucky together. The old woman
could not understand his language, but knew how to treat the malarial
diseases of the country, which was much better for him.
Capt. Chambers lived on the place that he entered in 1815 jntil his death, which
occurred in 1865.
JUDGE WILLIAMSON DUNN was a man
whose name was connected very intimately with much of the early history of
this country. He came to the county in the year 1809, and settled on a farm
on which a part of the town of Hanover now stands. Here he lived for the greater
portion of his remaining life.
Williamson Dunn was appointed as
Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, for the county of Jefferson, Indiana
territory, which place he held until April, 1813. At this time he was
commissioned as captain of a company of rangers, which had been enlisted in this
county and in Kentucky, near here.
Judge Dunn was Associate
Judge of the Circuit Court of Jefferson county in 1814, and for some years after
In May, 1820, Judge Dunn was commissioned Register of
the Land Office, for Terre Haute district. The land office was afterwards
removed to Crawfordsville and Judge Dunn was re-appointed to the position of
Register. He and others pruchased the land on which Crawfordsville was laid out,
and he donated the land upon which Wabash College was built. He also give land
for the establishment of a college at Hanover. In 1829 he returned to Hanover
and resided there the rest of his life. In 1832 he was a candidate for the State
Senate, but was defeated; but was chosen as Senator in 1837, to fill the
vacancy caused by the registration of Lieut. Gov. David Hillis. In 1843 he was
again nominated by was defeated by a division in his party, caused by
Shadrach Wilber, who was also a Whig, running as an independent candiate
for the same office-the State Senate-and Jesse D. Bright, a Democrat, was
elected. In 1846 Judge Dunn was elected as Probate Judge of the county, and was
re-elected and held the office at the time that the court was abolished under
the new Constitution.
Judge Dunn was born Dec. 25th, 1781,
near Danville, Ky. He was the third son of Samuel Dunn, a native f Ireland.
The family were Presbyterian in their belief. In September, 1806, he was married
to Miss Miriam Wilson, of Garrard county, Ky. They raised a family of eleven
children-seven boys and four girls. The family have been scattered over the
country, and the most of them are dead. There are only four of them now
living. (Jan. 1889)
Judge Dunn joined the Presbyterian
church at about the age of thirty-five, and was an earnest Christian the balance
of his life. For over thirty years he was a ruling elder in the church. He was a
man of fine character and sterling integrity; a man who always had the courage
to act upon his convictions, no matter how unpopular they might be. He was a man
of good judgment; rather low in forming conclusions, but once formed in his mind
and convinced of their righteousness, he was a hero in their defense. His record
during life, in all of the positions which he was called upon to fill, was good
and perfectly clean. His wife died in October, 1837, and he was remarried in
November, 1839, to Mary Fleming, who survived him.
Judge Dunn died Nov. 11th, 1854, from
the effects of a sunstroke in the month of September
JOHN HENRY WAGNER, Mr. Wagner was
born in Franklin county, Penn. The exact date of his birth is not known, as
his parents died when he was quite young, and he was bound out till he was of
age. The custom in those days was to bind out orphan boys till twenty-one years
of age, and girls till eighteen.
If there ever had been any
record of his father's family it was either lost or destroyed. He learned
the blacksmith's trade. He married in Pennsylvania, Mary J. Hoffman, who
was also an orphan and a bond-girl. In some way they were informed that there
was only twenty-one days' difference in their birth. Mr. Wagner and wife were
both of German parentage. They kept a tavern in Chambersburg, Penn. They came to
this county May 23rd, in the year 1808, and landed at about where now is the
foot of Jefferson street. They floated down the river in a old-time flat
boat called a broadhorn. When they arrived at this point, they determined to
settle here, and so removed from their boat, the lumber of which was used for
flooring of their cabin. Their cabin (the first one built in the town) stood at
where is now the north-east corner of Mulberry and First streets, on a high bank
which has since been cut away, the second bank or rise from the river. Having
his tools with him he set up a shop, and so far as is now known was the first
iron worker in the settlement. Previous to his coming, the settlers had gone
over the river into Kentucky to have their blacksmith work done. This consisted
chiefly in making axes, hoes and other edge tools, bells for horses and cattle,
and all articles of hardware, belonging to their department of work, besides a
great deal of other work which is out of the line of the blacksmith of the
present day. Mr. Wagner and wife raised a family of four boys and three
They remained in Madison for many years, when they
removed to a farm on the Michigan road, four miles from town, and from thence to
Jennings county, when they returned to Jefferson county, where they died. Mr.
Wagner died May 25th, 1841, and his wife died August 13th, in the same
year. They were supposed to have been bout eighty years old at the time of their
THOMAS WISE, was born in Maryland on the
eastern shore in 1793. His parents emigrated to Kentucky when he was only two
years of age. His father died soon afterwards, leaving five children, three boys
and two girls. In 1800 his mother came to Trimble county, where the family
remained. Thomas came to Indiana first on the day of the first sale of town lots
in Madison, but returned to his mother's, where he remained till a few days
after the Pigeon Roost massacre, which occured on September 3rd, 1812, about
sunset. Having heard of the massacre, young Wise and a companion went down
to see the place. The sight so fired his young blood that he joined the
"Rangers" and went out on the "Delaware campaign," as it was called. The company
was mustered into the service April 13gh, 1813. After the year had expired - of
his enlistment - he came back to Jefferson county and made it his home. He was a
farmer and lived on the land which he entered in 1814, till he died. He was a
member of the Board of County Commissioners of this county for twenty-one
years and was as well known probably as any man in the county. He was
respected for his honesty by all who knew him. He represented this county twice
in the Legislature.
LEWIS DAVIS, One of the
original proprietors of the town of Madison, was a man of middle age when he met
John Paul at the land sale at Jeffersonville in the spring of 1809. Where
he was born or where he died is not known. He left Madison some time in 1812 or
1813, and went to Xenia, Ohio, to reside. Afterwards he resided in Cincinnati,
Ohio. In 1817 he was there, as is found by a deed conveying his entire remaining
interest of lands in Madison, Indiana Territory, to Lewis Whiteman,
bearing date of November 24th, 1817. On October 8th, 1813, Davis had sold
one-half of his interest in Madison to Mr. Jacob Burnet, of Cincinnati, he then
being a resident of Greene county, Ohio.
LYONS, The third partner in the original town of Madison, came down in
a flat-boat in the spring of 1809 in search of a place of abode. He landed his
boat near to the cabin of Wm. Hall, in what is now called Fulton, on the eastern
limit of Madison, and after prospecting around the county a few days, and being
pleased with the lay of the land, he bought out Hall's claim and left his family
here in Hall's cabin and went to Jeffersonville, where he found that John Paul
had purchased the site of Madison. He then entered the land on the claim
which he had bought of Hall and other pieces of land, and finally became
one-third owner with Paul and Davis of the Madison tract. He returned here and
lived for some years, and built a number of houses in the place. The first was
on the bank between the old Ross tan-yard and the river, where he lived for some
In 1815 he removed to Salem, Ind., where he died quite an
old man, and where his descendants are to this day. He there engaged in
merchandise with Christopher Harrison (see sketch
WILLIAM CHAMBERS, SR., The subject of this
sketch was the oldest son of Alexander Chambers, who was the son of David
Chambers, who was the son of David Chambers who emigrated to America from
England during King William's war, about the year 1689 or 1691. David Chambers
at that time was a mere youth, and settled with his father, Samuel Chambers, in
Rockbridge county, Virginia.
In 1756, Alexander, the father of
William Chambers, was born, and in the war of the revolution was the only
survivor of three brothers; the other two Samuel and David, losing their lives
in the struggle for liberty from the British crown. After the close of the
revolution, Alexander removed with his mother to Rutherford county, North
Carolina, where in 1789, he married Ann Monroe, an aunt of the Rev. Wm. Y.
Monroe, who at one time was County Treasurer of Jefferson
In 1791, the oldest son, William, was born, and in
1799 removed with his father to near Boonesboro, Ky. Here they resided till 1806
when with about thress other families, Alexander removed to the Wabash
country, near Vincennes, where they resided about two years, when Chambers, with
his family, removed back to Kentucky, and remained there one year; then he
removed his family to what is now known as Kent, in Jefferson county,
Indiana. At this place Alexander and his son William, now a young man of
eighteen years of age, erected a fort or, as it was then called, a blockhouse.
This was in the year 1809. This was the point of defense against the Indians
of the various tribes who roamed through the wilderness.
the war of 1812, William Chambers was a soldier in Capt. Williamson Dunn's
company of Rangers. Just before the battle of Tippecanoe, Dunn's company was
ordered to join General Harrison's army, and started to do so, but when near
where Columbus, Ind., now stands, Co. McFarland countermanded the order
and sent the Rangers under Dunn back to the settlements, as reports were
sent them of threatened attacks by the Indians. William Chambers was one of a
detachment of twenty-five men that went to the "Pigeon Roost" massacre-ground,
the day after the massacre, and assisted in burying the bodies of the
twenty-three persons who were butchered by the Indians. After peace, William
Chambers married Sarah Blankenship in in the year 1816. The license issued
to him being the first one recorded in the county. From this marriage, one
child, James B., was born in 1825, who is still living near the site of his
fathers first settlement. In 1825 his wife died, and the next year he married
Catherine Blankinship, a sister of his first wife. Nine children were the fruit
of this marriage, all of whom are dead, except one son. J.G. Chambers, of the
firm Branham & Chambers, furniture dealers in Madison, Ind., and one
daughter, Mrs. Le Roue, of Evansville, Ind.
Mr. William Chambers
was a member of the Baptist Church at White River, which was organized at
the fort in June, 1811, where they held their services of worship for a number
of years. His membership extended over a period of time of more than sixty
years; for more than fifty years he was a deacon in the church.
In 1823, when returning from a trip to New Orleans, on the steamboat "Old
Tennessee," the boat sank on the night of February 9th, in the middle of the
Mississippi river, near Natchez. He saved his life by swimming ashore, leaving
all the money he had - which was gold - tied around the banister of the boat.
William Chambers died July 16th, 1879, at the age of seventy-eight years. His
father died in 1857, at the extreme age of one hundred and one years, one
month and fifteen days.
Sketch furnished by J.G. Chambers, of
WILLIAM MCKEE DUNN, JUDGE
ADVOCATE GENERAL U.S.A. - Mr. Dunn was born at South Hanover, Jefferson County,
Indiana Territory, December 12, 1814. His parents were Judge Williamson
Dunn, and Miriam Wilson. See Judge Dunn's sketch in this volume.
He was the fifth child and the fourth son of his parents, and inherited from
them a robust frame and vigorous constitution. These were developed and
strengthened by work upon the farm and general out-of-door exercise, in which he
spent his childhood and youth. He had a genial, cheery disposition, and enjoyed
good helath during the greater portion of his life. Having these advantages he
was well fitted for the life of toil through which he passed, and was
enabled to bear up till very near the end in full vigor of both mind and
He used to laugh at the recollections connected with
the first schooldays in the log school-house at Hanover, and the rough times at
the school, relating incidents that were full of mirth to the man, but had been
of sore distress to the boy.
He attended the State University at
Bloomington, Ind., where he received the degree of A.B. in the year 1832.
In the year of 1835, he received the degree of A.M. from Yale, Bloomington and
Hanover Colleges. He was principal of the Preparatory Department of
Hanover College from 1833 to 1835. Post graduate studies in science Yale
College, in 1835; professor of mathematics at Hanover College, 1836-37. He was a
member of the Indiana Legislature in the session of 1848-49.
studied law 1837-39, and was admitted to practice at the bar at Lexington, Scott
county, Indiana, in 1839. He located in New Albany, Indiana, in the practice of
his profession, and remained there for three yers, removing to Madison, Indiana,
in the falll of 1842, where he resided until 1864, where he resided until 1864,
when he removed to Washington city, D.C., where he lived until his death, which
occured July 24th, 1887.
At Madison he engaged in the practice
of his profession, first in partnership with Michael G. Bright, and afterwards
with A.W. Hendricks.
In 1849 he was the Whig candidate for
Congress in this district, but was defeated by Cyrus L. Dunham. In 1850 he was
elected as a member of the Constitutional Convention from Jefferson county.
In 1858, he was elected as member of Congress, serving from 1858 to 1860.
In the campaign of 1860 he was re-elected to Congress, and in 1862 he was
defeated for that place. At the breaking out of the rebellion he was offered a
Colonelcy by Gov. Morton, and an appointment as Brigadier-General by President
Lincoln. He declined both of these, preferring to finish his term in Congress.
At the close of his term in Congress, he was appointed, in 1863, as Judge
Advocate General of the Department of Missouri, headquarters at St. Louis. In
1864 he was appointed Assistant Judge Advocate General of the Army of the United
States, headquarters at Washington city. At the death of Gen. Holt, he was made
Judge Advocate General of the Untied States Army, in 1876. He was retired
in 1881. In 1877 he was given the degree of L.L.D. by Hanover
He was a man full of honors from his fellow-men and
deserving of them.
In the fall of 1841, he was married in
Madison, Indiana, to Miss Elizabeth G. Lanier, eldest daughter of J.F.D. Lanier.
(See his sketch). They were the parents of seven children, four of whom are
still living. Major Wm. M. Dunn, of U.S. Army, Mrs Fannie McKee, of
Washington city, Lanier Dunn, farmer, of Virginia, and Mr. George Dunn, lawyer,
of Denver, Colorado.
His widow still survives him, living in
Washington city. D.C.
Mr. W.W. Woollen, of
Indianapolis, is engaged in writing a full history of him which will be
published in the near future.
COL. MICHAEL C.
GARBER, The late Michael Christian Garber, was of German and
Scotch-Irish ancestry. He was born in Augusta county Virginia, in 1813. His
grandfather Michael Garber, was the inventor of the first machine to make cut
nails. When a youth Mr. Garber went to Pennsylvania, where he engaged
successfully in merchandising, canal and railroad building. In 1843 he removed
to the West, and finally located in Madison in 1849. He purchased
the Madison Courier of S.F. Covington, and continued its sole or
principal proprietor until his death. Mr. Garber had become convinced that
slavery was a mistake for all parties concerned by his residence in
Pennsylvania, hence his sympathies as an editor, when he took control of he
Courier were not as strongly pro-slavery as those of Hon. Jesse D. Bright and
his wing of the Indiana Democracy. With this as a basis of disagreement the
combative and independent spritis of Garber and Bright were not long in unison.
The result was Bright and Garber read out of the Democratic party, and the bold
and aggressive editor went further and further in his opposition to the
fugitive slave law and advocacy of free soil until he became one of the Indiana
leaders of the movement that culminated in the organization of the
Republican party. He was the chairman of the party's first State Central
Committee and was one of the draughtsmen of its first State platform. When
the war broke out Mr. Garber was commisioned a brigadier quartermaster with the
rank of Captain. He was promoted to Brevet-Major for gallantry in the battle of
Mill Springs, Ky., in 1862, and subsequently was promoted to be Colonel for
conspicuous efficiency in the Red River campaign of Gen. N. P. Banks. He was
afterwards quartermaster of the Army of the Tennessee, and was attached to
Gen. W.T. Sherman's staff, as Quartermaster-in-the-Field of the great
Army of the West in its march from Savannah, Ga., to Washington, D.C. After the
war Col. Garber was retained in the service for over a year and sold vast
quantities of government stores, ships and other property, in the Southern
States. Declining a commission in the regular army he returned home in 1866 and
resumed editorial control of the Courier. He was recognized
as a great force in Indiana journalism and loved and honored his occupation. In
1857 he was appointed postmaster at Madison, and was stricken with hemorrage of
the brain April 2d, 1881, while standing at his desk in the office. His death
occurred five days subsequent. Col. Garber was of tall, stalwart form, and of
genial, preposessing appearance. He was characterized by patience, industry,
courage and pertinacity. Few men have exerted a more wholesome influence,
so far as their careers extended, than he. His family life was particularly
happy. He was married in 1837 to Miss Ellinor Schell, of Schellsburg, Penn., who
with three daughters and two sons survivied him.
RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS