Site Navigation


The Maupin Family
Given to me by Frances Davis Maupin
wife of the late
Harold "Hap" Maupin


      Two brothers, Daniel and Gabriel Maupin, came to Albermale County just before the middle of the last century. From the name it may be inferred they were of French extraction. The idea has been entertained that they were French soldiers, who crossed the ocean with Lafayette at the time of the Revolution;
BUT Daniel obtained a land patent for land on Moorman's River in 1748, twenty three years BEFORE that event. The name however was represented in the
Revolutionary army Daniel, William and Cornelius appearing on the pension list; these in all probablillity were brothers, sons of John Maupin, and grandsons of Daniel. Daniel entered more than fifteen hundred acres in the Whitehall neighborhood. He died in 1788. He and his wife Margaret had seven sons and three daughters, Thomas, Gabriel, Daniel, John, Margaret (the wife of Robert Miller), William, Zachariah, Jesse, Jane (the wife of Samuel Rea) and Mary (the wife of Matthew Mullins). Gabriel died in 1794. He seems to have lived in the vicinity of Free Union. His wifes name was Marah, and Thomas Bland, Daniel and Gabriel were the names of his sons. The truth is , the families of this stock were generally so numerous, containing hardly ever less than ten, and sometimes thirteen children, and the same names were so often repeated in the different households, that it would be well nigh impossible at this date to make out an accurate statement of their lines of descent. They frequently intermarried among themselves, and with the Harrises, Jarmans and Vias, and their descendants are widely scattered over the West, particularly in Kentucky and Missouri. They seem to have been in their generations an industerious, quiet, unambitious people. They have usually been attached to the Methodist Church, a Daniel Maupin being an original trustee of Austin's, or Bingham's, Meeting House, and another Daniel and his wife Hannah in 1834 giving the ground for Mount Moriah near Whitehall, which indeed for many years commonly went by the name of Maupin's Meeting House. Dr. Socrates Maupin, who was Professor of Cemistry first in Hampden-Sidney College, and afterwards in the University of Virginia, was one of this family. He died from injuries in consequence of a runaway accident in Lynchburg, in 1871. He was the son of Chapman W. Maupin, who was third in descent from the first Daniel, was appointed a magistrate of the County in 1835, and died in 1861. Addison, another son of Chapman W. , had his residence before the war on Carr's Hill, adjoining the University. J. Addison Maupin, of Richmond, author of the Maupin bill of recent notoriety, was Addison's son.

   Socrates Maupin:born in Albemarle county, Virginia, November 12, 1808, a descendant of Gabriel Maupin, who came to Virginia in the French Huguenot emigration in 1700; after preparatory studies, he matriculated at Washington College, Lexington, Virginia, from which institution he was graduated in 1828, and then entered the medical department of the University of Virginia, from which he was graduated in the class of 1830, after which he pursued a general literary and scientific course in the same university, receiving the degree of Master of Arts in 1833; his first position was as professor of ancient languages and mathematics at Hampden-Sidney College,which he filled for two years, from 1833 to 1835, and then became principal of Richmond Academy, serving as such until 1838; then established a private school which he conducted until 1853, a period of fifteen years, and he was also one of the founders of the Richmond Medical School, in 1838, serving therein in the capacity of professor of chemistry and later as dean; was appointed professor of chemistry and pharmacy in the University of Virginia, in 1853, and became chairman of the faculty the following year, continuing as such until his death, which occurred in Lynchburg, Virginia, October 19, 1871; he was an active member and promoter of the Virginia Historical Society.

   Rev. William Maupin was born in Fleming County, Kentucky, October 11, 1819, and died in Union County, Indiana in the fifty-fifth year of his age, June 27th , 1873, at five oclock P.M. He was converted to God in September, 1836; and was licensed to preach September 1st, 1849. He did usful work as a local preacher for two years, and was then admitted into the Indiana Conference, October 13, 1851, and appointed to the Azalia Circuit. After the organization of the South-eastern Conference, in 1852, he received the following apointments: In 1852-1853, Lexington Circuit; in 1854, New Washington; in 1855, Vienna; in 1856-1857 Paris; in 1858, Moorefield; in 1859-60
Vernon; in 1861; Milford; in 1864, Sardinia; in 1865-66, Hope; in 1867-68m Edinberg; in 1869, Milton; in 1870, Mt. Carmel; in 1871-72, Whitewater Mission, where he ended his arduous labors as minister and laborer in the Master's vineyard. He married to Miss Maletha Parish, in Fleming County, Kentucky, in the Fall of 1839. She died in the Spring of 1858, and was buried at Paris, Jennings County, in the Cave/Dixon Cemetery. In the Fall of the same year, he was married to Miss Rhoda J. Hall, the now surviving widow. As a man, brother Maupin possessed a sterling integrity. He was of the sanguine temperament, and whatever his decisions were, they were firm; whatever principle he defended with a sterling will. He was a true man. No man ever suffered loss or betraal by his infidelity. He was a strong advocate of every moral vitue, and especially of temperance. As a preacher, he had many excellences. In early life he had no advantage in regard to education; but after he had grown he acquired a taste for books and soon mastered many of the elements of a liberal education, which he used to a good in his ministry. The Bible was his principal study. This precious fountain of truth was his daily companion and from it he drew most largely in his sermons. He was emphatically a "Gospel preacher:" apt and precise in his Scripture quotations, doctrinal in stype, logical in his deductions, his sermons were forcible and convincing. He rather delighted polemics, and defended his views of Bible doctrins with a great deal of tenacity.

   He possessed many natural elements of true oratory, and he was eminently gifted in prayer, He loved the office and work of the ministry. He was an indefatigable laborer
in the vineyard of his Master, as the result of his labors will show, from the hard fields in which he tolied. We do not know the number he received into the Church in
twenty-two years, but we presume very nearly, or quite, two thousand souls. We would probably be safe in saying that brother Maupin has held more protracted meetings, and preached more revival sermons in the same time, than any other preacber in our Conference. Truly, he was "in labors abundant," as the sudden crash with which his physical nature gave way will attest. Returning to his home froma protracted effort, he is suddenly prostrated, while medical skill, united with the kind hand of family affection, brings no relief. Nature struggles, then falters, and finally yeilds: the servant of God lays down his armor, and takes up his crown.
His disease was bronchitis, which began to develop itself after his nervous prostration from overwork, in January last. During the first part of his illness he was restive, and anxious
to be out and at work. But when informed that his end was nigh, he soon adjusted his mind and heart to the situation, calmly and deliberately arranged his temporal and domestic affairs, and, with unusual calmness met his fate. A wife and ten children remain to mourn.

 James P. Maupin, son of Rev. William and Maletha Maupin, was born in Bedford, Lawrence County, Ind., August 22, 1846.Very early in his boyhood days he was converted and gave himself fully to the Master's service. Later he was called into the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He received his first appointment in 1879 when he was assigned to Bean Blossem Circuit. From there he was sent to the New Trenton Charge. He was admitted to the South East Indiana Conference in 1883 and served the following charges; Jonesville, New Bellsville, Blocher, Henryville, New Washington, Clarksville, St. Paul, Castleton, Freetown, Crothersville, Elizabethtown, Otisco, New Washington, Jeffersonville Circuit and Sellersburg Circuit. In 1907 he retired from the active ministry and moved to Sellerdburg where he resided until he quietly slipped away to be with his Lord on October 18, 1930, at the ripe old age of 84 years, one month, 27 days.During his residence in Sellersburg he was a tower of strength to the local church. For seventeen years he served as Sunday School Superintendent: he also filled the offices of trustee, steward and church treasurer. He was united in marrage to Drucilla D. Hargis in February, 1869. To this union four children were born. Rev. Charles Maupin of Sellersberg, Ind.; Rev. Ernest Maupin of Bluffton, Ind.; Mrs Eva Williams of Indianapolis, Ind. and William Ford who preceded his father in Death. January 21. 1885, God called his companion home. On October 28, 1885 he was united in marriage to Nancy A. Zane. This good woman went to her reward October 13, 1904.August 16, 1905, he was united in Marriage to Rhoda Shrader. She preceded her companion to the heavenly city just under nine days. After her death he appeared very lonely and seemed to be eagerly waiting for the summons which would release him from the flesh.. He represented the eigth generation of ministers in the Maupin family. The first two generations were French Hugenot preachers in France. Brother Maupin Maupin had three sons, two of whom are now in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church. When the Civil War broke out he was too young to enlist but he went and served as a teamster until he was old enough to enlist in the regular service. He served until the close of the war when he received his honorable discharge. He was able to attend the last session of his conference which met in New Albany, Ind., and was introduced at one of the sessions as the only member present who was entitled to wear the little copper button. The funeral services were conducted in the Sellersburg Church by his pastor, Rev. R.R. Cross, assisted by the District Superintendent E. Robb. Zaring, R.A. Ulrey, Charles Hester, W.E. Watkins and H.J. Cross. The following other ministers were present. J.C. Gray, H.W. Wooldridge, Eugene Montgomery, Charles Whitted, H.D. Bassett, Amos Bastin, George Dalrymple, G.A. Sutton, Garnett Arnold, Thomas Francis, Charles Holmes, H.W. Baldridge, E.L. Bates and L.H. Ice. The body was laid to rest in the family lot at Henryville, Ind. with military honors in charge of the American Legion

   OBITUARY - Gertrude E. Maupin was born in Jennings County, Indiana, on March 12, 1887 and died October 31, 1911, aged 24 years, 7 months and 18 days. She leaves a father, mother and two brothers, numerous relatives and a host of friends to mourn their loss When eleven years of age she united with the Hopewell M.E. Church and a few years later was brightly converted during a revival. She was a faithful member and active worker in all its services. The many friends that came so ofter to see her during her long illness told better than words, with what esteem she was regarded. Although hopeful of getting well during her sickness she said it was all right with her soul. She was always ready to testify for her Master when the opportunity presented itself. Thare are but few, young or old, who would be missed as Gertie will be.




        William Maupin                     William and Rhoda Hall Maupin



You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and