An old citizen of Jennings county, was born in Randolph county, North Carolina, on the 25th
day of April 1786, where he married Rebecca Rush. In 1811 he moved to Clark's Grant, then a part of the North West Territory, where
he remained until 1827, when he removed to Jennings county, and made a farm out of the heavily timbered forest, near where Butlerville
now is, and where he continued to live till the present time. When he was twenty-six years old he enlisted as a soldier under General
Hopkins, in the war of 1812. He also served as a soldier under Capt. John Pitman. He has nine children living, and two dead. Uncle
Tommy is a living specimen of the historic, adventurous, hospitable pioneers of Indiana. He can tell many incidents of the pioneer
history of our county, that are very interesting. Although ninty years old, he is active, and retains all of his senses, almost
unimpaired. But few are now left of the in those traditional scenes, the relation of which brings vivid imaginations of wild bears
and panthers, and causes an uneasy feeling about the scalp lock. Much of our county's history will pass away with their exit from
Was born in Kentucky, March 16, 1800, and emigrated with his parents, crossing the Ohio near
Madison on the day the battle of Tippecanoe was fought. His parents located on what was then called the Grant, near Charlestown, in
the present county of Clark. The Indiana being very troublesome they remained four or five weeks in a fort at a place called Works
Mill. Every time anyone showed himself outside the fort he was chased back by the red-skins. They lived in Clark county two years
and then removed to Jefferson county, and settled on a farm owned by Jacob Trumbo, where they lived about one year and then removed
to Coffee Creek and entered 160 acres of land which they sold after a few years to Jacob Huffman, and which has since been known as
"Tommy Hill Farm".
While living on Coffee Creek Darius' brother joined the Rangers under Capt. Norris, and did duty in the block house
on the present farm of Solomon Deputy, about one year. They took several scouts on the frontier, and made one trip to Vincennes, where
they were discharged, and came back home. There was but one house at that time between Paris and the present line of the Indianapolis
and Jeffersonville railroad, and that was on Coffee Creek occupied by Solomon Deputy. At the age of 26, Darius married Miss Nellie
Wilson, and in a year or two moved to Cana where he has been located ever since, a period of about 48 years. When Mr. Robinson moved
to Cana the only settlers within four miles were Enos Tobias, John Bridges, and Benjamin Graves. The nearest corn market was Madison
and the nearest grist-mill was near the present town of Newry, Jackson county. The next nearest mill was run by Zachariah Tannehill
near the town of Paris, (who also founded that town.)
Many settlers flocked in about this time and began raising corn which was done principally with the hoe. After the
corn began to mature it was almost impossible to keep the animals from destroying it. The settlers depended chiefly upon wild game
for their subsistance. The forests were alive with bear, deer, turkey and other wild game.
When moving from Clark county, Mr. Robinson intended to go the first day as far as the camp of White Eyes, an Indian
chief; but a storm coming up the family, the family and stock became scattered and the children spent the night in the woods about three
miles from their parents, but came together the next day at the house of Mr. Middleton Robertson -- the only house at that time between
Charleston and the present town of Deputy. Mr. Robinson being very fond of hunting always carried his gun-in fact it was necessary in
order to protect his corn crop from the vermin. He was good on a deer hunt and could get a wild turkey at any time. One time while he
was out hunting he came across a panther. He shot it, but only inflicted a slight wound. Before he could reload his gun the pantheer
was upon him, and then, as he expressed it "the fun began". By the aid of an axe and his dog, he succeeded in killing it. It measured
nine feet from tip to tip.
Was born in Henry county, Ky., on the 10th day of August 1802. His parents and family emigrated to Indiana on pack
horses in 1806, crossing the Ohio rive four and a half miles above the West Port at Monroe's Ferry. He settled in Jefferson on a farm
now owned by Mr. Charles Law, which he entered and began clearing. When he settled at this place the nearest settler was Abraham Long,
one and one half miles distant. The next nearest was Jacob Lewis, (after whom Lewis creek was named,) six miles distant.
The Indian chiefs, White Eyes and Kill Buck, had their camp near the Robertson Springs where Deputy now stands. When
Mr. Sage stopped in the wilderness, they were required to go to Kentucky for corn, and grind it on a hand mill. After a year or two Mr.
Robert Miller started a horse-mill where the town of Kent is now located. The Indians appeared very friendly up to the time of the
massacre at Pigeon Roost, when the settlers were obliged to flee to the block houses. Mr. Sage and family took refuge in a block-house
on a farm owned by George Campbell, now belonging to Sevier Wilson. Mr. Sage being brave hearted concluded to risk the consequences, and
go back to his farm, which he did and was not afterward molested. He lived on this farm about fifteen years and then sold it to Gabriel
Foster, and removed about one mile east to Landon's Mill, entering another quarter section and began clearing again. While living here
Mr. William Sage became his own man, and married Sarah Loller in 1825. In 1836 he moved to Illinois but returned in one year and located
at Cana, where he is now living, having raised a large family. His wife died in 1872. He still remains a heart, hale, robust looking
At one time while Mr. Sage was living near Lewis creek, the squaw of White Eyes came to the house and told the family
that White Eyes was drunk, and was coming to the house, and for them to hide or he would kill them. When he came to the house he pointed
his gun at one of the boys who ran; then he pointed it at Mrs. Sage who did not flinch, when the Indians called her "good soldier". The
boy who ran they called "squaw".
Mr. Sage had a horse bitten by a copper-head snake while plowing. The snake came from the roots of an old tree. He
examined the tree and found and killed five of the snake's family. He frequently wrestled with the Indianas, but he says they always
became angry. He has killed as many as seventy-five rattlesnakes in one day. There was a den of them in a cliff near where Landon's
Mill now stands. In Mr. Sages early days, the woods were full of bears, wolves, panthers and wild cats. At one time he was ran over
by a large bear, while trying to escape from it, it has attacked a hog and he went to the rescue but it was to much for him. WIth the
help of his father bruin was slain. Mr. Sage killed three panthers in one day. The Indians told him the panthers would kill him, but
he was not cowardly. He frequently trapped wolves and wild cats in pens made for that purpose. The racoons were the worst enemies of
their corn crops. It was no trouble to kill deer and turkey in those days. They were the early settlers principle meat. Mr. Sage
learned much of the Indian language, and still remembers a few words, of which he has given with their definitions, as follows: cohon,
(I don't know); huskee,
Was born in Glascow county, New York, in 1802, and moved to Clermont county, Ohio, in 1815, where he married Jennett
McMurchy, in 1824, who was born in Scotland. They moved to Indiana in 1838 and entered 80 acres of land at $1.25 per acre, now in Lovett
township. They have had thirteen children, seven boys and six girls, all excepting two boys are now living. They have sixty grand children
and sixteen great grandchildren.
Mr. Brower has always been sentimentally opposed to slavery, and during the slave times, he would not refuse shelter and
assistance to any of the unfortunate fugitives from bondage. For his opinions and actions in regard to this matter, he was frequently
abused and was threatened with lynching, by the opposite party. He is now enjoying the peace of a well ripened life.
WILLIAM JOHNSON AND WIFE
Of Bigger Township, are the oldest couple living in the county. They were born in the same neighborhood in Virginia,
he on the 9th day of August 1787 and she on the 24th day of April 1788. He enlisted as a soldier in the war of 1812, during which he
suffered many hardships. He and his wife moved to Kentucky in 1822, and in 1824 moved to this county and settled on the banks of Graham
creek, where he raised and removed to where he now lives in Bigger township about two miles northwest of San Jacinto. They have seventy-two
great grandchildren and thirty-five grand children living, scattered in all parts of the country. They seem to be enjoying good health
and are stout and active. They live on a farm with their son John H. Johnson. They are partial to the old fashioned large fire place, and
have much of the good old ways. In their presence one feels almost to be living in the century that has gone. They can tell many incidents
of pioneer history, and about the way people lived a half century ago.
WILLIAM T. STOTT
Was born in Woodford county, Kentucky in 1788. He moved to Indiana in 1815 and settled in Madison where he lived one year,
and then removed to this county, on the north fork of the Muscatatuck, two and one half miles north of Vernon, where Mr. Rairdon now lives
In 1830 he moved to the south fork within a mile of Concord church. Here his wife died, and in 1854 he broke up housekeeping and went to
live with his son, Rev. John Stott, about two miles northeast of North Vernon, where he has ever since resided. He was the first pastor of
the Vernon Baptist church, established in 1816, which was the first church established in the county, and is still in existance. The original
members of this church were himself and wife, John Vawter, Nancy Lewis, and William Pagett and wife. In a few years the members of this
church became very mumerous and divided up into other churches.
When Mr. Stott came to this county it was sparsly settled, there being about ten Indians to one white man. The whites were
afraid the Indians would steal their horses, but Killbuck their chief, said there was no danger, and that if any evil-disposed Indians would
commit any depredations, he and his tribe would help the whites.
Mr. Stott was elected Justice of the Peace in 1817. The first couple he married was Samuel Campbell and Chloe R. Prather.
He was at a log-rolling when he was sent for to preform the ceremony. He went as he was, in his work clothes, with coat off, and untied the
two in the holy bonds of matrimony. The next couple he married were David Campbell and Annie Finney.
Mr. Stott has been a very active and useful man, and although is now nearly ninety years old is in tolerably good health.