Site Navigation

North Vernon Indiana
The information below was written by Bonita Welch for the 150th Anniversary of the Church in 1985 I tried to not add recent info due to privacy. The church moved again but it was also more recent.

    In the summer of 1834, the territory about six miles northeast of Vernon, Indiana, was a woodland and thinnly inhabited. A group of people living in the neighborhood felt the need for Christian fellowship and began meeting in the home of John H. Wagner. The Wagner farm was located near the St. Anne Catholic church. Their pastor was William Vawter.
    After meeting there for several months, they thought it best for their own good and for the good of the community to organize a Baptist church. At that time the nearest Baptist church was in Vernon.
    Acting upon their convictions they called a council from sister chruches to meet with them on the fourth Saturday of 1835. This council was made up of the following men:
From Concord Fielding Denny From Mt. Pleasant James Blankenship
Jasper H. Grinstead John Blankenship
John Hicklin John Graham
Caleb Moncrief From Vernon Joseph Cowel
Robert Pearcy George Jones
A. Peyton Richard Stott
From Geneva J. West William T. Stott
From Mt. Maria James Stoctove Achilles Vawter
Chesley Woodard
There were seventeen constituent members of the new church. They were:
Mary Baughn Frances Underwood
Patrick D. Baughn William and Frances Vawter
William and Maheila Groom Elizabeth Wagner
Tabitha Guess John H. and Maria J. Wagner
Margaret Parks Sarah Wagner
John and Elizabeth Vawter Stott John and Mary Whitsitt
    After being acknowledged by the council as a legally organized church, prayer was offered by Caleb Moncrief and Chesley Woodard. The charge to the church was given by William T. Stott and the council extended the right hand of fellowship. To be distinguished from other Baptist churches, the name "Zoar" was chosen. In an early history we read "after which William Vawter was chosen Moderator and Patrick D. Baughn talked for the remainder of the day."
    The first clerk of Zoar Church was Patrick D. Baughn. Chesley Woodard and William Vawter served as pastors together until the year 1840. William Vawter remained as pastor until 1863, when age and ill health forced him to resign. He was eighty years old at the time of his resignation.
    At the December 1836 meeting, William Vawter, John Whitsitt and Patrick Baughn were appointed to select a site on which to build a meeting house. This decision was postponed for a time, because not until February 1839, was it reported that a site had been chosen. John Whitsitt had been replaced on the committee by John Stott, and the three men had been elected as the first trustees of Zoar Church.
    The site was six acres of land near the Wagner farm. This land was donated by Allen Parks, husband of charter member, Margaret Parks. The chruch continued to hold their meetings in the Wagner home until the summer of 1839, when they began to meet in their new log house.

First Zoar Church

    In March 1839, the matter of the ordination of William Vawter was taken up, and in May it was agreed to call a council from other chruches to assist them in this ordination. The service began on the last Saturday of July and was completed the following Monday. Rev. Vawter was the first minister to be ordained by Zoar Church.
    The first deacon to be ordained by the church was John Stott, in November 1839. He was licensed by Zoar Church in 1843 and ordained to the ministry in 1850.
    The church was becoming quite prominate. We find in the early minutes that the organizational meeting of the Sand Creek Association was held at Zoar on Christmas Day 1844. Rev. William Vawter served as Moderator of the association for twenty years.
    In 1847, it was decided to look for a different location for their meeting house. Six acres of land owned by Allen Parks and located about a mile and a quarter southwest of the log house was traded by him for the old site. This site is now part of Selmier State Forest. A new frame building measuring 26 x 30 feet was erected at this location. The first meeting was held there the Fourth Saturday of October 1848.

Second Zoar Church

    At about this same time the first death of a member occured. Hester Freeman died during the summer of 1848.     The church organized a Sunday School in 1849, with Charles Lewis as the Superintendent. In a diary kept by Mr. Lewis is found the following:
    "In May 1849, an effort was made to get up a Sunday School at the Zoar Meeting House for the purpose of instructing the children of the neighborhood in Scriptural knowledge. Though I doubted the success of such an undertaking in a place where the children would have to go some distance to reach the school. I attended a meeting which was held for the purpose of organizing and selecting officers for the school. I was not expecting however to become engaged in it an any way, but to my great surprise I was appointed superintendent, a place which I felt but poorly qualified to fill. Myself and two others were appointed as a committee to draft a constitution and present it to the school on the next Sunday, which we did and after some alteration it was adopted. It provided that there should be a superintendent, an assistant superintendent, a librarian, to be elected annually on the first Sunday in January. We procured a library of one hundred volumes from the American Sunday School Union. We also secured a Bible dictionary, some small hymn books, question books, etc."
    The school exceeded far beyond all expectation. Charles Lewis remained a teacher in the Sunday School continuously until his death in September 1865.
    In the years following several deacons were chosen and ordained by the church. Miles E. McCaulou and John Whitsitt were ordained in March 1850, Lewis P. Grinstead in March 1851, and Jesse R. Vawter in September 1866.
    Ormand F. Feagler was licensed by the church to preach the gospel in March 1855, and on May 5, 1857, was ordained.
    In the year 1863, Rev. William Vawter resigned his position as pastor of the chruch because he was no longer able to preach reqularly. He was eighty years old. Rev. William T. Stott Sr. was called as pastor and served in this capacity for the remaining years at Zoar.
    Again, the church began to talk about changing their location and in February 1865, Rev. Stott was authorized to look for a site in North Vernon. He reported in March that a site had been chosen and they began to solicit funds for the new building.
    A hand-written history of Zoar Church, written by Clara Umensetter, tells of the "big meeting in 1866 of the Zoar Baptist Church."
    They had service every evening for a week, then morning and evening, then they took their their dinner and had meeting morning, afternoon and evening. Many were converted and came to Christ."
    The church met for the first time in North Vernon

Third Zoar Chruch

    Rev. William T. Stott resigned as pastor in February 1868 and in March his son, Rev. John Stott, was called at a salary of $100.00 per year. He was followed by Rev. F.M. Huckleberry and Rev. W.B. Lewis.
    In July 1873, a committee was appointed to see about purchasing an organ and Mollie Stott, Jennie Stott, Bessie Feagler and Allie Whitcomb were chosen to solicit the funds.
    The Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1886, and in November 1888 they donated $23.55, which paid the debt on the organ. The Society met weekly for many years and was always very generous in the contributions to the church. Some of their money was earned by quilting, but they also did other sewing, served lunches, and had markets where they sold produce. In the early years they had dues of five cents per week.     We find in the minutes of the Ladies Aid that they began discussing in February 1900 whether to remodel the church building or build a new one. By March they had appointed a committee to talk to the deacons and trustees about purchasing a lot on which to build a new building. Apparently this committee did meet with the deacons, because at the April 16, 1900, meeting of the Ladies Aid, the following recommendation was read: "We the deacons of the First Baptist Church having prayerfully considered the question of removing the church building recommend that the question be dropped and ceased to be discussed at present." However the ladies were given the authority to purchase lots on State Street. The price of these lots was $800.00.
    The church had been incorporated in February 1900 and the name changed to "First Baptist Church of North Vernon."     On March 5, 1902, the church voted to build on the new site. Pastor at this time was Rev. P.O. Duncan. The contract was not signed until July 27, 1904 and on the afternoon of June 5, 1905, the cornerstone was laid. The entire cost of the building was $12,730.36.
Building $8736.01 Harry Hicks 160.40
Pd. to architect 150.00 North Vernon Lumber Co., specials 52.47
Pews and chairs 526.23 Work on sewer and around church 84.70
Window Glass 397.86 Frt. on glass, pews and chairs 40.01
Lights and wiring 209.73 Postage, envelopes and etc. 25.36
Furnace 250.00 E.W. Lounsberry 41.50
Carpet and drapery 68.31 Fixing windows, doors 20.00
Philip Monroe, cement work 155.50 Sewer pipe 32.86
Insurance on church 122.40 Misc. accounts 100.35
Hardware 20.00 Interest 1534.97
Total $12730.36
    Before the mortgage was paid off in 1915, the Ladies Aid Society had donated $2500.00 in addition to the $800.00 paid for the lots.

    In November 1908, a Junior Union was organized with thirty-two charter members. As this was the only Junior Society in town, it drew members from other denominations and soon had an enrollment of more than one hundred boys and girls.
    In March 1910, it was voted to elect a missionary treasurer and to take weekly collections for missions. Mrs. Nan Striger was selected to fill this office.
    Rev. E.J. Barnes was called as pastor in December 1914, and during his ministry the sanctuary was redecorated and the mortgage paid on the building. An all day meeting was held on Easter Sunday 1915, to celebrate the fact that the building was free from debt.
    A tornado which struck in May 1917 did considerable damage to the church.
    In the fall of 1919, it was decided to buy a parsonage and and the property adjoining the church was purchased for $3500.00.
    Rev. V.K. Ledbetter was pastor in 1924, and after his resignation Rev. C.A. Wade was extended a call at a salary of $1560.00 per year plus of the parsonage. It was during Rev. Wade's pastorate that the Daily Vacation Bible School was first held.
    Rev. Wade resigned in February 1927 and Rev. Wm. H. Dillard was called to serve as pastor. Rev. Dillard began his ministry in North Vernon on July 15, 1927.
    On June 23, 1929, Rev. Dillard announced to the congregation that he and Margaret Shephard had been united in marriage by Dr. Ramey of the Dupont Baptist Church.
    In 1935, plans were made to celebrate the centennial of the church. A week long event was held from September 29, to October 5.
    Since the remodeling program of 1916, the sanctuary had been redecorated several times, but no changes had been made. In 1939, a pipe organ was purchased, it was necessary to change the baptistry. The addition of the organ console, wood paneling, the centered baptistry and the wood railing made the sanctuary much as it is today. The cost of the Wicks pipe organ was $2575.00.


    August 1835. William Vawter presented a letter to the church to send to the association, which was read and adopted. Bro. William Vawter and John Whitsitt appointed to bear the same.
    December 1835. Church decided to meet the first Monday in January for fasting and prayer.
    March 1836. Church met on Friday before the regular May meeting because of some of the male members having to attend to military duty.
    September 1836. The church agreed that the members of the church would meet on the second Lord's Day in each month for the purpose of worship. The ordinances of the Lord's Supper and feet washing to be attended to at the next meeting.
    December 1836. Brothers William Vawter, John Whitsitt, and Patrick Baughn were appointed to select a site on which to build a meetinghouse.
    March 1837. Received from the B.G. Tract Society a present of eight tracts.
    April 1837. On motion the church directed the Clerk to address Brother John Vawter by letter requesting him to preach on the second Lord's Day each month.
    July 1837. John Vawter sends word that his time is so filled that he cannot attend.
    November 1837. On motion and second agreed that the 7th day of December be observed as a day of Thanksgiving.
    May 1838. William Vawter, John Stott, and Patrick D. Baughn were elected as the first trustees of the church.
    November 1838. By request, letters of dismission were granted to Brother John Whitsitt, Sister Mary Whitsitt, and Sister Lavinah Pearcy.
    February 1839. The subject of a site for a meeting house was taken up and the trustees reported that a site had been found.
    March 1839, Received by letter, James Moncrief. On motion and second, the matter of ordination of William Vawter was taken up.
    May 1839. On move and second took up matter from March meeting regarding the ordination of William Vawter. After deliberation the church was of the opinion that he ought to be set apart to the ministry and agreed to call on the following churches for council and aid: Mt. Pleasant, Bear Creek, Geneva, Freedom, Concord and Brush Creek. The council is "to be with us at our July meeting, and our brethern to spend Saturday, Sunday and Monday with us."
    July 1839. Church met for the first time in new meeting house. "Church was asked were they still in favor of the ordination of Brother Vawter. Answer in the affirmative. Inquired of Brother Vawter if he was willing to yield to the wish of the church, to which he answered he was unwilling to oppose their wish. Vote taken by church which was unanimous in favor of same. Monday sermon preached by William T. Stott from the 62nd Chapter of Isaiah, 1st Verse. Then proceeded ordination."
    November 1839. John Stott was ordained as the first Deacon on Monday at 10 o'clock.
    June 1840. Brother Baughn requested a letter of dismission for himself and wife.
    October 1842. First prayer meeting. Followed by sermon by Brother Woodard.
    August 1843. Church agree to have two moderators and one clerk and that they be selected by private ballot. William Vawter and John Stott were chosen moderators, and J.R. Vawter, clerk.
    September 1843. It was agreed that the Lord's Supper would be observed quarterly.
    November 1843. "After proper examination the church gave Brother John Stott license to preach whenever God may in His providence cast his lot."
    April 1844. The church voted to visit Brother William Campbell and learn the reason for their long absence from the church. J.R. Vawter and Miles McCaulou agreed to visit them and report at the next meeting.
    Brother and Sister Campbell excluded from the church because of their long absence. Daniel Gray's name taken from the list being as yet unbaptized.
    September 1844. George Lewis agreed to keep the meeting house one year for $3.00.
    November 1844. Members of the church were requested to sit in council with members from other churches on Christmas Day to act on forming a new association. William Vawter, Miles McCaulou, and John Stott were apppointed to meet with the council(this meeting was held at Zoar Church and resulted in the formation of the Sand Creek Association.)
    January 1846. The church received a donation of a desk. A collection was made to raise money to pay for a large Bible for the use of the church. $2.00 was given and William Vawter was to purchase the Bible.
    The Bible was presented. It cost $1.75 and the balance of 25 cents was given to the deacon for the purpose of purchsing wine for the use of the chruch.
September 1847. The matter of moving the meeting house was discussed. William Vater, Miles McCaulou and George Lewis were appointed to look for a site to move and report at next meeting.
October 1847. The committee reported that Allen Parks would give six acres of ground in the northern corner of the eighty acres of land where he lived, with the exception of the poplar timber over and above the amount on the present site.
    November 1847. Report of trustees on moving meeting house to new site. Trustees were authorized instead of moving present building to superintend the building of "a new frame house, 20 x 30 feet and finish it off in respectful style, and so soon as the church can spare the old house to dispose of it to the best advantage they can to help out on the new house."
    July 1848. A protracted meeting was held Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. During that time Hester Freeman died. It was the first death in the church since the construction in 1835.
    January 1850. "Brother Davis excluded from the church for his long absence and unchristian like conduct. He not having been to one single meeting of the church since he united with us in August 1847.
    August 1850. Miles McCaulou was chosen chruch treasurer. In order to raise a "church fund: each member is to pay the treasurer five cents on the first Saturday in each month.
    November 1851. Treasurer reported amount received $16.80. Paid out. $6.76. (This was for the entire year.)
    January 1852. Voted to give a tract of land for the purpose of building a school house. This land given as long as want it used for that purpose.
    February 1853. Missionary collection of $5.00 taken for Missionary Union.
    November 1853. The treasurer reported $14.31 received during the year.
    February 1854. A charge was brought against a member for profanity and intoxication.
    March 1854. Member charged at last meeting asked forgiveness from the chruch.
    January 1855. Agreed to pay the pastor $12.00 for the past year, also $12.00 for the coming year.
    March 1855. Ormand Feagler was licensed to preach.
    March 1856. The member charged at the March 1854 meeting was excluded from the church for drunkeness and profantiy.
    May 5, 1857. Ormand F. Feagler was ordained. (He was the son-in-law of William Vawter.)
    November 1857. William T. Holsclaw received into church by experience and baptism.
    November 1858. Voted that all lamps be used only at preaching services, only swinging lamps used at other services.
    June 1858. Voted to read the church covenant before the Lord's Supper each quarter.
    January 1859. First mention of foreign missions.
    November 1863. "Brother Feagler entered charge against himself for having played a game of checkers and he asked the church to forgive him, which they did.
    December 1863. Voted that the church be lighted with candles until further notice.
    February 1865. Elder Stott was authorized to find out about buying a lot in North Vernon, should the church decide to move there.
    March 1865. Elder Stott reported that Col. Andrews will donate a lot in North Vernon.
    April 1865. Decided on North Vernon as a site for building. A committee was appointed to solicit funds.
    December 1866. The church met in the new building for the first time the fifth Sunday. The dedication sermon was preached by W.Y. Monroe.
    January 1867. First business meeting in new church. Jesse R. Vawter was appointed a janitor, with a salary of $25.00 per year. Name of church was changed from Zoar to Baptist Church of Jesus Christ.
    May 1867. Voted for male members to pay ten cents per month and female members to pay five cents per month.
    October 1867. William Stott presented deed to church and reported they were now out of debt.
    November 1867. A member was excluded from the church for dancing.
    February 1868. Twenty-six names were added to the membership. Pastor Stott resigned. The first pulpit committee was appointed - Miles McCaulou, Rynear Cook, and Jesse R. Vawter.
    March 1868. Rev. John Stott was called to serve as Pastor.
    April 1868. A new deacon, William T. Holsclaw, was ordained. It was decided to have five trustees.
    November 1869. Rev. F.M. Huckleberry was called as pastor.
    December 1869. The church voted to have preaching twice a month.
    July 1870. It was agreed to let the Presbyterians have use of the building for worship.
    April 1871. A committee was appointed to raise funds for the building of a belfry.
    July 1871. Decided to have lightening rods put on the church. Work was done on the cupola.
    July 1873. A committee was appointed to see about purchasing organ for the church.
    January 1876. Isaac Whitcomb united with the church by letter.
    May 1876. Voted to let Disciples have use of meeting house the fourth Sunday in each month.
    April 1879. A call was extended to Rev. Allen Hill.
    August 1883. The Sand Creek Association met with the church.
    April 1884. Rev. Lett Randolph was called to serve one year for #100.
    July 1886. Rev. J.F. Hilliams was called as pastor.
    August 1886. The State Board appropriated to the church $40.00 per quarter for Pastor's salary.
    September 1886. The envelope system for collections was adopted.
    July 1888. Re. L.L. Hanson was called for one year as pastor.
    November 1888. The Ladies Aid Society reported paying $23.55 on the organ which paid the debt in full. Vawter
Feagler was elected to serve as church clerk.
    February 1889. The collection for the next quarter to be divided between the Publication Society and Franklin College.
    March 1889. William T. Holsclaw was re-elected as treasurer. He reported balance on hand of $2.04.
    April 1889. W.R. Umensetter made a motion that the church hold a protracted meeting to begin the business meeting in June.
    June 1889. Many new members were received during the protracted meeting. Among them were Clara Umensetter, Essie Whitcomb, Zelpha Grinstead, Rose Feagler, Adaline Grinstead, Milton Moncrief, Frank West, Mattie VanCleave, Grace Holsclaw, Effie Graves and Alice Cope. Rev. L.L. Henson was called to be pastor another year at a salary of $375.00 for the year. Brother Henson agreed to contribute $24.00.
    August 1889. The delegates to the Sand Creek Association meeting at Mt. {;easant were A.N. Peak, W.R. Umensetter, W.T. Holsclaw, Vawter J. Feagler, Alice Whitcomb and Fannie Holsclaw.
    October 1889. A Benevelont Committee consisting of Maud Simmons, Bessie Feagler and Carrie Gautier was appointed.
    December 1889. Sixty bushels of coal was bought at a total cost of $6.49. Brother Seaborn was elected housekeeper for the month of December with the salary to be $2.00 for the month.
    January 1890. A motion to re-elect brother Seaborn as housekeeper was carried. The salary to be $2.50 per month.
    February 1890. Fred Whitcomb was nominated and elected as church Clerk.
    February 1890. Sunday, Feb. 23rd. "Bro. Hanson preached from Heb. 12:1 in the morning. After which Mrs. John Polleston was received by relation and Mrs. George Marlett was approved for baptism. The text for the evening sermon was found in Luke 5:27 and 28. After which Mr. John O. More, Mrs. FlorenceMore and Miss Nellie More were received by letters from the Hardenburg Baptist Church."
    March 1890. Rev. L.L. Henson resigned as pastor effective the fourth Sunday of June. He desired to have a full time pastorate and this church was unable to have full time.
    June 1890. The committee on church incorporation reported the church is not a legally incorporated body. Brothers Peak, Feagler, Harlow and Whitcomb were appointed to have the windows painted and repaired.
    June 1890. "On Monday evening, June 9, a series of meetings was begun, which continued until Sunday evening, June 22. On Tuesday evening, June 10th Bro. James N. Perkins and Sisters Minerva Perkins and Ida Perkins united with our church by letter from the Bethel Baptist church and Bro. J.W. Linkhart and wife united by letter from the Freedom Baptist church. On Wednesday morning June 18, Sister Della McNicholson was baptized. On Friday morning, June 20, at regular services, the church decided to go into the election of two deacons at the evening service. On Friday evening, Sister Susan New united with the chruch by letter and Bro. Harold Cope and Bro. Harvey Powleson were approved for baptism. After which the church proceeded to the election of two deacons according to previous arrangements.
    "The following brethern were put in nomination: J.W. Linkhart, John Q. More, Chas. N. Peak, James N. Perkins and Orlando Wagner. By consent, the vote was taken by private ballot, each member of the church being permitted to vote for two brethern as deacons. 68 members of the church were present and voted, and the vote resulted in the election of Bros. J.W. Linkhart and John Q. More. The church agreed to attend to the ordination sservice at 10:00 o'clock, Saturday morning, June 21.
    "On Saturday morning, the church met in ordination service. Bro. George Jayne led the devotional services, after which Bro. Lott Randolph delivered the charge to the church and Bro. T.A. Childs, of Vernon, delivered the charge of the deacons. Then the ministers and ordained deacons proceeded with the laying on of hands during the ordination prayer by Bro. Childs.
    After this service, Sister Annie Perkins was approved for baptism. Then the congregation repaired to the water where the ordinance of baptism was administered to Bros. Harold Cope and Harvey Powleson and Sister Annie Perkins. At 6:30 o'clock, Saturday evening, Sister Elisha Thomas united with the church at the water and was baptized. At evening service Bro. Willie Reynolds and Sister Hallie Passmore were approved for baptism.
    "On Sunday morning, June 22, Bro. Hanson preached from Col. 3:12, 13, 14. The Lord's Supper was then celebrated. A collection of $2.90 for the benefit of the poor in our church was taken up. After morning service, Bro. Willie Reynolds and Sister Hallie Passmore were baptized. At services Sunday evening, Bro. Henson preached from Acts 18:6. This service closed Bro. Hanson's pastorate with us.
    July 1890. George Simmons, Charles N. Peak, and William Holsclaw were elected to serve as trustees. The Clerk was appointed to write the letter to the Association and read it at the next regular business meeting.
    August 1890. Rev. P.O. Duncan was extended a call for one year with a salary of $350 for the year.
    February 1891. A motion was made and carried that the deacons and their wives act as a committee to see to the needs of the poor of the chruch. Collections for a poor fund to be taken after each communion service.
    April 1891. The treasurer reported a balance on hand of $3.85.
    June 1891. A call was extended to Rev. Po.O. Duncan for another year.
    September 1891. Allie Whitcomb, E. Harlow and Jennie Holsclaw were appointed as a finace committee to act with the deacons in soliciting money for the pastor's salary. Fred Whitcom was approved by the church as President of the Young People's Baptist Union.
    October 1891. Jimmie Thurston, Harry Holsclaw, Aaron Buchanan, George Kutchback and Flora Kinney were among the 21 received into the church during October.
    November 1891. William Hamilton, George Moncrief, Lewis Monroe, Herbert Marsh and Louisa Monroe were baptized.
    April 1892. The committee on repairing the building reported that it would cost about $675 to do the necessary repairs. A soliciting committee was appointed to try to raise that amount.
    July 1892. Rev. Duncan informed the church that he could not accept a call for another year. A pulpit committee consisting of Caroline Gautier, Emma Whitcomb, Fred Whitcomb and J.E. Harlow was appointed.
    October 1892. A call was extended to Rev. M.G. Quick to serve as pastor for one year. The salary was $350 for the year and he was to make his home in North Vernon. Howard Newby and Clara Simmons were appointed as a committee to raise funds to pay the coal bill and to pay the housekeeper.
    November 1892. Clara Simmons reported she had collected two dollars for the coal bill.
    January 1893. The committee on repairs reported they were building an inside vestibule and intended to paint the outside and get new stoves.
    April 1893. A notice was received from two members requesting letters of dismission. The request was not granted because of a delinquency due the chruch.
    April 1894. Caroline Gautier reported that $35.03 had been collected for missions in the last year. William Holsclaw was re-elected treasurer.
    July 1894. "Brothers Holsclaw and Heaberlin were appointed to council with Bro. Wallace."
    August 1894. "Bro. Heaberlin having talked with Bro. Wallace, reports his conversation as all satisfactory. Bro. Wallace being present expressed himself as being truly sorry for having used violent language on the street, and asked forgiveness of the Church. On motion of Bro. Vawter Feagler the Church accepted Bro. Wallace's statement and expressed to him her forgiveness by requesting that he continue as Supt. of the S. School."
    October 1894. The treasurer was instructed to make out a list of those members who were delinquent in their contributions. A finance committee made up of Laura Grinstead, Essie Whitcomb and Eva Simmons was appointed to collect from them.
    April 1895. William T. Holsclaw was re-elected treasurer and moderator. Elma VanCleave was elected to serve as clerk.
    April 1896. "It being the time for the election of officers it was voted that the same officers be elected for another year." The treasurer reported a balance on hand of $13.91.
    March 1897. "It was then moved and seconded that two ushers be elected. Bro. Pennington and Bro. Reynolds were chosen. Said ushers were to see that song books were passed."
    April 1897. E.N. Norris was appointed as moderator to replace William T. Holsclaw who had resigned in March.
    May 1897. "Pearl Weaver, Mamie Billings and Ethel Morris were then appointed to solict for the social at Mr. Simmons' barn on Thursday Night, May 6th." The treasurer gave the following report: "Indebted to Bro. Quick, $156; indebted to housekeeper, $2.00; Nine or ten dollars in the treasury." A committee was appointed to solict the members to pay the debt. Members of this committee were Mamie Billings, Alice Cope, Orville Gaskill, Harry Holsclaw, Mattie Downs and Elma Reynolds.
    June 1897. Rev. J.E. Smith of North Carolina, was called as pastor for one year at a salary of $350.
    The treasurer reported there were 68 persons on the church roll who had failed to contribute to the expenses of the chruch. The deacons were told to look into this matter.
    The names of nineteen members were erased from the church roll for failing to attend services or contribute.
    February 1898. The treasurer, E.N. Morris, reported that the church was in debt $61.06.
    March 1898. A special collection was taken for the Alpha Baptist Church to aid them in building a house of worship. "The church then proceeded to elect a moderator, but after several nominations re-elected Bro. Morris. Following this election came the election of a clerk. After a number of motions and nominations and objections, by those nominated, and quite a lengthy debate on parlimentary rules, Bro. Orville Gaskill was unamimously (sic) elected."
    May 1898. The finance committee reported the church was $116 short of meeting expenses.
    December 1898. The deacons and moderator were appointed to have electric lights wired in the church.
    March 1899. Rev. Smith resigned as pastor. Miss Mae Pennington was elected as church clerk.
    April 1899. The moderator reported that the church was $18.00 delinquent on the pastor's salary from last year and $60.00 delinquent on this year's salary.
    June 1899. The conduct of a certain member was such that the marshall was called to keep order.
    October 1899. Brothers George Simmons, Andy Reynolds and Eli N. Morris were elected trustees for a term at three years.
    November 1899. The chairman of the soliciting committee reported that they had $650.70 subscribed. Rev. J.P. Jacobs was unanimously called as pastor. A motion was made and carried to have preaching every Sunday.
    January 1900. The treasurer reported that the amount of money subscribed for church expenses was now $705.00 and that the church was out of debt. Miss FLora Beecher was elected as missonary treasurer and it was proposed that a missionary offering be taken each week. Twenty-four people were received into the church in January.
    February 1900. A motion was made and carried that the church be incorporated. It was reported that an offer of $1,000.00 had been made for the church property.
    March 1900. "After an earnest prayer by the Pastor, the church was asked to vote for two men to serve as Deacons; the two receiving th highest number of votes to be declared elected. Bros. A.F. Reynolds and C. Pennington were chosen."
    April 1900. The following Resolution on Finance was adopted: "Whereas. the fourth division of our Church Covenant is a mutual agreement to watch over one another in brotherly love: be it
    "Resolved, That in compliance with the spirit of the same, that all non-resident members be required to write to the Clerk of the Church, or some other resident member, at least once every three months, concerning their physical, spititual and financial conditions, so that the Church generally may know of these. Furthermore, in as much as the Covenant is also an agreement on the part of each member to contribute cheerfully and regularly of his means to the expenses and benevolent enterprises of the church; be it
    "Resolved, 1st. That each member be solicited annually to make subscription according to his ability, to be paid weekly, or as often as possible, to defray the church expenses.
    "2nd, That when the entire membership has been solicited, a printed statement be furnished each member showing the amount subscriber by each.
    "3rd, That any member not subscribing shall give to the deacons his reasons for not doing so, and if the reasons given are not justifiable in the minds of the deacons, they shall report them to the Church, and if unsatisfactory to the church, the member shall be cited to trial and caused to show why he shall not be excluded.
    "4th, That any member after having been solicited, and not subscribing, fails to inform the deacons within three months from the time of being solicited his reasons for not doing so, that the deacons shall inform the church of it, and the party shall be dealt with as stated in section three.
    "5th, That any member having made a subscription to the Church expenses, and failing to pay the amount subscribed, desiring a letter of dismission, shall be required to pay the amount in full, or give a satisfactory reason to the church for not doing so before the letter shall be granted."
    July 1900. The moderator appointed committees to prepare for the Sand Creek Association meeting.
    September 1900. "A motion that the men of the church organize a Men's League, for the purpose of hunting the lost was made and carried.
    November 1900. Rev. Jacobs was called to serve for another year.
    December 1900. J.W. Linkhart was re-elected as Sunday School Supt.
    January 1901. James Thurston was elected to serve as the president of the Baptist Young People Union. Other officers elected included Anna Perkins for organist.
    February 1901. "On motion committee on discipline be appointed was carried. After some discussion the Deacons of the Church and Sisters Florence More and Elma V. Reynolds were appointed to serve on that committee. Their duty being to report to the Church any matter of discipline reported to them by the members of the Church, providing that they (the committee) have after some investigation found that there were good reasons why the matter should be reported."
    March 1901. The Discipline Committee reported they had five names under consideration.
    April 1901. The Discipline Committee resigned stating "they believed they had reasons justifying them in tendering their resignation." A motion that the membership donate 1/2 day's earning as a free-will offering was carried.
    June 1901. The clerk was instructed to record the ordination of A.F. Reynolds as a deacon, as it had been overlooked at the time. The treasurer reported he was overdrawn $3.63.
    September 1901. Rev. Joe P. Jacobs resigned as pastor. A.F. Reynolds, H.J. Holsclaw, W.G. Kendrick, George Moncrief and Earl Linkhart were appointed as a pulpit committee.
    October 1901. Rev. O.P. Duncan was extended a call to serve as pastor. His salary to be $800 per year, to be paid every Monday morning.
    January 1902. "On motion the church set a time for a business meeting to consider the visability of repairing this church house or building a new church house."
    March 1902. After a lengthy discussion, the church voted to build a new church house; the vote being 51 yes, 7 no. On the vote to build it on the lots on the corner of State and Chestnut Streets, the vote was 43 yes and 23 no. (The lots had been purchased in April 1900 by the Ladies Aid Society.) A committee was appointed to prepare plans and specification for the new building. Members of the committee were: P.O. Duncan, Chairman; A.F. Reynolds, G.F. Simmons; Eli N. Morris; J.W. Linkhart; L.C. Pennington; William G. Kendrick. The trustees were given authority to sell the present property.
    March 1902. Anna Harmon united by letter from the Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church of Schuler, Kentucky. The floor plan was presented by the Plan and Specification Committee was approved. This committee was then appointed to serve as the Building Committee.
    November 1902. Among those uniting with the chruch in November were Jessie Holsclaw and Homer Bullard. They were baptized on December 7, 1902.
    April 1903. Eli N. Morris resigned as clerk and Ethel Morris was elected to serve in this position.
    July 1903. The building committee was instructed to employ an architect to draw plans for the new building.
    November 1903. A special meeting was held to raise money for the note due at thee bank. A total of $33.27 was given.
    January 1904. A soliciting committee was appointed to contact the money to pay church expenses. Members of this committee were: Harry Holsclaw, chairman; Elma Reynolds; Mae Moncrief; Alice Cope; Eva Simmons.
    July 1904. After some discussion the church voted to let the contract and proceed with the new building.
    The messengers to the annual meeting of the Sand Creek Association were appointed. They were: Mrs. Clorinda Whitcomb, Mrs. Maude Shumaker, Mrs. Mary Moncrief, Mrs. Jessie Hall, Mrs. Emma Harper, Mrs. Sarah Overturf, Miss Clara Umensetter, Mr. and Mrs. P.O. Duncan and Platt White.
    April 1905. "The matter of disposing of the old seats was brought before the church. It was moved and carried that this matter be left with the Trustees."
    June 1905. "On Monday afternoon June 5th the cornerstone to our new chruch house was laid. Bro. A.B. Conard made the address. Geo. Moncrief, Clerk."
    September 1905. The treasurer reported that the church still owed the pastor $187 from 1904 and that he had received $428 of his 1905 salary. The salary was $800 per year, so there was $559 due by the end of the year.
    November 1905. Homer Bullard and Ezra Marlett were selected to assist the ushers.
    February 1906. "On the 25th of February 1906 the Church began a series of meetings. On the 26th Bro. Clevenger of Delhi came over to help us and stayed with us a little over two weeks and a grand glorious meeting it was, too, not only in conversations but in creating a new spirit in the Church and as only should come to any church a spirit of true religion causing an awakening of true Christianity." Twenty-nine people united with the church during this time.
    May 1906. A.F. Reynolds and E.A. Brown, trustees of the church, reported the "old church property", lots 49 and 50 in the Andrews Addition, had been sold to John B. Miller for $550.00. This included the pews. (This property was on the corner of what is now Ninth and Hoosier Streets.)
    April 1907. The average Sunday School attendance for the month was 116.
    August 1907. Delegates to the Sand Creek Association meeting were named. They were Mrs. Overturf, Mrs. John Moncrief, Tillie Moncrief, Velma Burkhart, Andy Reynolds, Mrs. I.G. Whitcomb, Rev. P.O. Duncan and Ester Whitcomb.
    March 1908. "Mrs. Overturf, Mrs. Thurston and Mrs. Reynolds were appointed on a committee to see a member of the church who wanted her name taken off the church roll."
    March 1908. Minerva Jayne Tate departed from this earthly life, March 11, 1908."
    September 1908. "The matter of the communion set was brought up and it was decided to buy it."
    November 1908. "Upon the report of Sisters Vance and Morgan as to the needs of the Crothersville Baptist Church it was voted to give them the stand and three chairs from the pulpit of the old chruch." Rev. P.O. Duncan was asked to serve as pastor for another year. The call included an agreement to pay him what was past due on his salary.
    December 1908. The motion of A.F. Reynolds to accept the resignation of Rev. Duncan was seconded by J.W. Linkhart. The motion carried. It was reported that a Junior Union had been organized in November and had a membership of about 45 children.
    January 1909. A call was extended to C.W. Chadwick of Petosky, Michigan, to serve as pastor for one year at a salary of $1000 for the year. The call was accepted and he was to begin his work on February 21, 1909.
    May 1909. Among the 34 who were baptized during April and May were George Vance, Lillian Auerswald, Clara Loosey and Freddie Zebell. An additional nine united with the church by letter and two by relation.
    August 1909. Several names were erased from the membership roll, some had united with other churches, but one was dropped because of wife desertion and another for adultery. Delegates named to the annual Sand Creek Association meeting were Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. Eulitt, Mr. and Mrs chadwick, Miss Effie Robbins, Ed Blair, Mrs. Mulvey, Leona Thurston, Mary Martha Davis, Wilbur Elliot and Stanley Duffy.
    December 1909. "Mrs. Mulvey reported that there are seventy members enrolled in the Junior Union. She also regrets that there is a lack of teachers in the Union."
    April 1910. Plans were being made to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the church. It was decided to invite the following ministers: Rev. P.O. Duncan, Rev. F.M. Huckleberry, Rev. J.E. Smith, Rev. W.T. Stott, Rev. L.L. Henson, Rev. M.G. Quick and Rev. J.F. Williams.
    May 1910. "A.F. Reynolds made a report of the suggested programme for the Anniversary meeting. It was moved and carried that we have the roll call of the church on Sunday afternoon, May 22, at 2 o'clock and request all the members of the church to bring a basket dinner. It was moved and carried that the Moderator appoint a committee to see about getting rigs for the Zoar trip."     June 1910. The church extended a vote of thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Warren Huckleberry for the trees that had been set out in front.
    Report of the Anniversary Meeting.
    "The 1st Baptist Church of North Vernon, Indiana, celebrated its 75th Anniversary from May 18 to 22. On Wednesday evening May 18th, Rev. W.E. Spear gave a sermon on the 'Old Paths' which was enjoyed by all who heard him. On Thursday evening Dr. Stott preached a great sermon on the 'Baptist Position.' He showed that church membership was not the main thing, but to know God and have life in Him. His reminisence in in his historical address of the first period of the chruch were very helpful.
    "Storms interfered with the meeting planned for Zoar on Friday, so we had our meeting in the church here. While the attendance was small we had a good meeting. Brief recollections of the early history of the church were given by Mrs. P.C. Vawter of West Lafayette, Mrs. Loomis of Indianapolis, and our Senior Deacon, W.T. Holsclaw, and other members of the church. All of which were interesting and helpful, and made us feel like going forward in the good work.
    "Bro. Duncan at this time gave us a few encouraging words. He said he had known this church for about 20 years and he said conditions were better now then ever before and with consecration and effort upon the part of the members would lead into a greater future.
    "Bro. F.M. Huckleberry of Seymour preached an excellent sermon on Friday evening to a good congregation. His sermon was enjoyed by all.
    "On Sunday, May 22, Bro. Duncan preached both morning and evening to large congregations and both sermons were excellent and were enjoyed by all. During the day about $2600.00 was raised on the building debt leaving a balance of about $400.00.
    "Sunday afternoon we had our annual roll call which was also turned into historical lines. We feel like this celebration was a success and helpful to us as a church in more ways than one. May we all press towards the mark of the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus."
            (Signed) C.W. Chadwick    A.F. Reynolds
    August 1910. A committee was appointed to visit the members who were delinquent in their giving. Members of the committee were: Mrs. Emma Harper, Mrs. Josephine Burdge, Mrs. Amanda Auerswald and Mrs Elma Reynolds.
    February 1911. Rev. C.W. Chadwick resigned as pastor.
    April 1911. "A motion was made and carried that the trustees make settlement with Bro. Chadwick borrowing the money if necessary.
    June 1911. Mrs George Moncrief resigned as organist and Miss Vivian Striger was appointed to replace her. J.W. Linkhart resigned as deacon and trustee. "A motion was made and carried that a committee of three be appointed by the moderator to visit Bro. Linkhart and ask him to reconsider this resignation. The moderator appointed Bro. Lupton, Bro. Holsclaw and Bro. West to serve on this committee.
    July 1911. A call was extended to Bro. S.L. Essick to serve as pastor for one year.
    September 1911. The matter of paying off the coal billwas brought up and $18.50 was pledged towards paying the bill.
    October 1911. A vote of thanks was extended the Ladies Aid Society for their help in paying the current expenses of the church. L.C. Pennington resigned as deacon and the resignation was accepted with regrets.
    March 1912. The pastor named an Advisory Board whose duty was to meet with the deacons and trustees and discuss important matters of interest to the church. There were 32 people on the board.
    May 1912. Sarah Overturf, Mae Moncrief, Flora Eaton and Leona Thurston were named to the Finance Committee.
    October 1912. The pastor, S. L. Essick stated that the church owed him $50.00 from last year's salary. He said he was willing to cancel the debt if the membership raised $300.00 within the next three months to be applied on the building fund. This challenge was accepted by the church.
    January 1913. The treasurer reported that the church had met Rev. Essick's challenge and had raised $374.81. $400.00 was paid on the note at the bank, leaving a balance due of $1,745.07.
    August 1913. James West resigned as treasurer and Mrs. Alice Davenport was named to the vacancy.
    June 1913. S.L. Essick resigned as pastor to accept a call to the Hope Baptist Church.
    July 1913. Miss Effie Robbins, Miss Minnie White, Mrs. Marlett and Mrs. Overturf volunteered to try to raise the money to pay the coal and light bills. Three trustees were elected; Brother Morgan, Brother Hare and Brother Cull.
    October 1913. W.C. Abrams was called to serve as pastor for one year.
    December 1913. The deacons recommended that a monthly financial statement be given to each member. It was decided to buy a piano and dispose of the organ.
    January 1914. "A motion was made and carried that the janitor be paid out of the first money that comes into the treasurer's hands. A motion was made and carried that the coal bill be paid out of the first money that comes into the treasurer's hands after the janitor is paid."
    April 1914. W.C. Abrams resigned as pastor.
    July 1914. "A motion was made and carried we extend Dr. O.P. Miles a call for one year at a salary of $1000 with privilege to hold meetings or lectures enough to make the rent."
    30 September 1914. "After devotional services Bro. Reynolds read a letter from Dr. Miles in which he stated that perhaps it would be better for him not to return to this field. A motion was made and carried that his return to the work here and that he move his family here as soon as possible."
    7 October 1914. "A letter was read from Bro. Miles had written in which he stated he would be back as soon as possible. On motion and second the chlerk was instructed to write Bro. Miles back."
    14 October 1914. "It was stated that Bro. Miles had written to Bro. Sigman at Summittville and asked to be put in touch with the pulpit committee of that place, and that his relations with this church if he ever had any were closed. A motion was made and carried that the clerk write to Bro. Miles and tell him what we have heard and ask him if that is the way he feels about the matter and if we do not hear from him within ten days we will consider he doesn't care to come back. No further business, meeting closed.
    3 November 1914. "The clerk presented Bro. Miles' resignation. On motion and second the resignation was not accepted. The vote standing 16 to 23. A motion was made and carried the clerk inform Bro. Miles as to the result of the election and also state in case he should want to leave the church again he must consult with the board of deacons."
    9 December 1914. "The clerk reported having received word from Dr. Miles that he would not return to this field. A motion was made and carried we call a pastor tonight. A motion was made we call Bro. Barnes and we vote by ballot. Br. Barnes was given a unanimous vote to an indefinite call at $1,000 a year."
    January 1915. Among those uniting with the church were: Eva Kemp, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Johnson, Ruth Reynolds, Flora Collins, May Miller, Norval Vance, Madge May, Randall Harman, Milford Marlett and Leslie White.
    4 April 1915. Easter Sunday. An all day meeting was held. The mortgage that had been on the chruch for several years had been paid. The pastor E.J. Barnes, told the church that if they could secure pledges in the amount of $700.00 he would give a check of $50.00. Mrs. George Moncrief and Mrs. William Downey were appointed as a committee to secure these pledges. They collected a total of $828.75 and the Sunday School paid $23.10. The burning of the morthgage took place a 4 o'clock in the afternoon. J.W. Linkhart held the tray and L.C. Pennington struck the match. At it was being burned the choir and congregation sang "Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow."
    May 1915. The deacons recommended to the church that "As to the repairs on the church they thought best to let the pastor superintend the work, hire men by the day and buy material where it could be bought cheapest."
    June 1915. William Morgan, Charles Sheets and James Harmon were elected as deacons.
    November 1915. The deacons recommended that the church adopt the United Mission plan as had been suggested at the State Convention in Hammond.
    March 1916. Mrs. W.M. Cull, Mrs. Mary Moncrief and Miss Harriet Powell were appointed as a committee to write resolutions of deaths of members and to have these resolutions recorded in the minutes.
    April 1916. Rev. E.J. Barnes resigned as pastor effective July 1, 1916. The treasurer, Mrs. Downey, reported that the light bill was due and there was no money in the treasury. A collection was taken and $3.65 was given which was enough to pay the bill.
    June 1916. A.F. Reynolds, Cora White and George Wallace were appointed as a pulpit committee.
    November 1916. Mr. West, Mr. Foga and Mr. Grinstead were appointed to raise money for the coal bill. A call was extended to J.R. Carroll to serve as pastor until June 1918. The salary would be $1000 per year.
    March 1917. Mr. West stated that $50.32 had been raised for buying coal.
    April 1917. A vote of thanks was extended to Mr. Warren Huckleberry for flowers used to decorate the church.
    June 1918. Miss Ruth Reynolds was appointed to serve on the envelope committee, replacing Miss Jeanette Black who had moved to Seymour.
    July 1918. Mrs. Nancy Striger, missionary treasurer, reported that $201.44 had been received during the past years.
    April 1919. A vote of thanks was given the Priscilla Circle for money given to the repair fund. (The Circle had disbanded.)
    July 1919. The Philathea Class donated $15.00 towards the purchase of new song books.
    August 1919."A motion was made that the deacons meet and arrange for an all day meeting to welcome the new converts and instruct them in religious duties.
    October 1919. Home Coming Day was observed with an all day meeting and a church roll call. 115 members responded to the roll call. It was decided to have Home Coming the second Sunday in October each year.
    November 1919. The trustees were given the authority to begin looking for a parsonage. Mr. W.J. Hare offered to pay one-tenth of the price.
    December 1919. The pastor's salary was raised to $20.00 per week. The Ladies Aid Society reported that $67.00 was made at their Christmas Bazaar.
    March 1920. The chairman of the parsonage committee reported pledges in the amount of $3000 had been received.
    May 1920. The resignation of W.H. Davis as pastor was accepted. A pulpit committee was appointed. Members were: George Moncrief, Alice Davenport and William Phillips.
    June 1920. Rev. C.G. Mitchell was appointed as delegate from the church to the Northern Baptist Convention at Buffalo. The parsonage committee was told to make a decision as soon as possible. Rev. J. Allen Price was called to serve as pastor.
    July 1920. "The Baptist Church purchased for a parsonage the Olcott property adjouning the church July 1920 for the sum of $3500."
    January 1921. A music committee was appointed consisting of Mrs. Althea Clerkin, Mrs. William Downey and Mr. George Moncrief.
    February 1921. "It was moved and carried that when the pulpit is occupied in the future by a member of the anti saloon league that the speaker be instructed not to include politics in his speech."     May 1921. "The chairman of the song book committee reported that the books were $45 per hundred and 175 books had been ordered also six books for the orchestra.
    June 1921. The church was requested to pay $5.00 toward oiling the street.
    July 1921. "A motion was made and carried that those deacons failing to assist in the work of the church and failing to give satisfaction in their office be dropped from the board of deacons." The church treasurer Elma Reynolds, reported expenses for the past year had totaled $1974.07.
    August 1921. The matter of selling the parsonage was discussed.
    October 1921. The treasurer reported the coal bill was unpaid, other bills were unpaid and there was no money on hand.
    May 1922. Rev. G.C. Mitchell, Mrs. J. Grinstead, Mrs. Carrie Dobbins, Mrs. Agnes Simmonds and Charles Tebby were appointed as nominating committee.
    March 1923. Easter music was to be ordered, but not to exceed $5.00. Miss Eunice White resigned as evening pianist and the matter of appointing someone to replace her was left in the hands of the pastor. The Sunday School treasurer, Nina Lewis, reported a balance of $25.83.
    June 1923. A budget of $2018.00 was adopted for the coming year. It was moved and carried that the church pledge $1,000 to missions to be paid by April 30, 1924.
    July 1923. Rev. J. Allen Price resigned as pastor, effective in September.
    October 1923. A pulpit committee was elected. Members were: Ernest Ray, Agnes Simmonds and A.F. Reynolds.
    January 1924. Rev. V.K. Ledbetter was called to serve as pastor for one year at a salary of $1560.00 and the use of the parsonage. Edward Auerswald reported talking to someone in regard to redecorating the interior of the church.
    February 1924. The treasurer of the Ladies Aid reported a balance of $345.91. Mrs. James Harmon was the treasurer. Roger Lewis, treasurer of the B.Y.P.U. reported a balance of $11.11.
    April 1924. An electrician was hired to check the electrical wires, but he could not finish the job because of the need for a ladder. George Moncrief offered to provide the ladder. Rev. Ledbetter resigned as pastor because of health problems. The deacons were appointed as a pulpit committee.
    July 1924. Hurbert Marsh, Oscar Vance and Ed Lewis were appointed as a committee to solicit funds for a new furnace.
    October 1924. A call was extended to Rev. C.A. Wade to become pastor at a salary of $1560.00 plus the use of the parsonage. Mrs. Mae Moncrief was elected pianist and choir manager.
    November 1924. A bill of $570.00 for the new furnace was presented. A motion was carried that necessary repairs be made to the parsonage and an effort be made to pay off the indebtedness.
    January 1925. Several goals were set for 1925. Among them 100 new members, at least 50% by baptism; an average attendence of 200 on Sunday; 90% of the membership contributing to the support of the church and missions; an average attendance of 50 at the mid-week prayer service; $2500 for current expenses, $1000 for missions; 60% of the members engaged in some kind of service through the church.
    February 1925. It was reported that the Ladies Aid Society had assumed $500 of the debt on the parsonage.
    May 1925. The salary of Rev. C.A. Wade was raised to $2250 per year and no use of the parsonage. He agreed to give one-tenth of his salary to the church.
    September 1925. Mrs. Carrie Dobbins was elected as Superintendent of the Primary Department.
    November 1925. The committee that had been appointed to secure a pianist reported that Ruth Reynolds had accepted the office. Two members were appointed to keep a record of the number of people attending each Sunday service. Clara Losey was to report the number of women and Robert Marlett the number of men.
    December 1925. Mrs. Carrie Dobbins resigned as Primary Department Superintendent and Miss Effie Robbins was elected to fill the vacancy.
    January 1926. The chairman of the finance committee read a letter which had been sent to 87 members who had not been contributing toward the support of the church.
    January 1926. A motion was made and carried to rent the parsonage to Ernest Ray for a term of two years at $20.00 per month with the understanding that the church repair the plumbing, repair or rebuild the front porch, repaper two rooms and one hall and replace all broken window glass.
    May 1926. "A motion carried that this Church grant to Bro. Robert Marlett a license to preach."     July 1926. The church treasurer, Mr. William Downey, gave the annual report and stated that all bills were paid and there was a balance of $7.14. There was a Daily Vacation Bible School held for four weeks that grew from an enrollment of 14 on the first day to an enrollment of 76. The expenses for this amounted to $21.30, $19.70 of which was paid by contributions.
    February 1927. Rev. C.A. Wade resigned as pastor to accept a call to the Aurora church.
    March 1927. Mrs. Downey reported that $908.14 had been received and paid on the street improvement bill, leaving a balance due of $167.00.
    June 1927. A.F. Reynolds reported the deacons had talked with Rev. Wm. H. Dillard regarding a call to this church. It was moved and carried that a call be extended him at a salary of $1800 without the parsonage.
    September 1927. The following delegates were named to attend the State Convention in Indianapolis beginning October 10: Rev. Wm. H. Dillard, Mrs. Wm. Downey, Mrs. George Moncrief, Mrs. H. Dell and Mrs. Leslie King.
    February 1928. The salary of Rev. Dillard was raised to $2000 per. year.
    May 1928. A letter was read from S.A. Rogers offering the church $4000 for the parsonage.
    June 1928. "It was moved and carried that the parsonage be sold to Mr. Rogers for $4000.
    August 1928. The trustees were appointed as a committee to see about a new parsonage.
    October 1928. "It was moved and carried that Rev. Dillard be given permission to use the lot by the church for the purpose of playing basketball; by the boys of the church."
    May 1929. It was voted to purchase the home of Everett B. Hughes for a parsonage for the sum of $5000. Mrs. Downey, Mrs. Owens and Mrs. Moncrief were appointed a committee to solicit funds for the parsonage. It was recorded that the resident membership at this time was 378, and non-resident 62.
    August 1929. A committee was named to organize the choir and prepare special music. Members of this committee were: Mrs. Isa Wilson, Mary Dobbins, Mrs. Leslie King, Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Gladys Newminster and Mrs. George Moncrief.
    September 1929. "A letter was read from the Dupont Baptist Church dismissing Mrs. Margaret Dillard from their fellowship to unite with us.
    November 1929. A vote of thanks was given Mrs. Moncrief's Sunday School class for the gift of two pulpit chairs and two White's Studio for pictures made of the Cradle Roll. The report of the church treasurer showed $280.30 received during the month of October and $205.04 paid out. Clyde Beman, Sunday School treasurer reported $55.95 received during the month.
    January 1930. The Ladies Aid Society reported receiving 49.97 during December. This included $13.78 received in the penny collection. Carmen Ray was the treasurer.
    April 1930. The church thanked the Ladies Aid Society for repairs made to the basement. The ladies had contributed $910.00 for this work.
    Thirty-two names were added to the church roll during the past year: by baptism, 15, by letter, 5; by relation 12. There were three deaths during the year: Mrs. Cora Craven, Mrs. Kate Day and Wm. M. Cull.
    November 1930. "A note of thanks was read from the family of Wm. T. Holsclaw for flowers sent by the church at the time of his death."
    March 1931. The trustees were authorized to make plans for the dedication of a memorial window in memory of Mrs. Kate Day.
    June 1931. The church treasurer reported receiving shares of stock in the Public Service Co. from the estate of Mrs. Catherine Day. The following persons were named as a nominating committee: A.F. Reynolds, chairman; Mrs. Leslie King, Florence Beeman, E.M. Owens, Mrs. D.W. Matthews, Otto Harms, Mildred Greathouse and Mrs. Otto White.
    July 1931. Several recommendations were accepted by the church.
1. The trustees were instructed to get prices on having the furnace repaired.
2. The coal bin was to be made dust proof.
3. The baptistry was to be relined.
4. The senctuary should be re-decorated as soon as possible with the church paying half the cost and the Ladies Aid Society paying the other half.
5. The trustees should make necessary repairs on the windows.
6. The trustees should have the roof repaired.
    February 1932. "The matter of collection plates was discussed, the catalogue price being reported R $4.50. It was decided to see if less expensive plates could be made.
    April 1932. The following officers were elected for the year beginning May 1: Sunday School Superintendent, Wm. M. Downey; Church Treasurer, Mrs. E. M. Owens; Missionary Treasurer, Mrs. Nan Striger; assistant Missionary Treasurer, Miss Minnie White; Church Clerk, Mrs. Alice Davenport; assistant Church Clerk, Miss Effie Robbins; Evening Pianist, Miss Juanita Runyan; Pianist Junior Choir and morning service, Melba King; 1st assistant Pianist, Melba King; 2nd assistant Pianist, Doris Wilson; Chorister, W.E. Jarvis; Trustees, Homer Dell, chairman, A.F. Reynolds, Mrs. Mae Moncrief, Mrs. Leah King, Mrs. Addie Southerland and Mrs. May Matthews.
    August 1932. Committees were named to prepare for the annual Sand Creek Association meeting which was to be held in North Vernon on August 25 and 26.
    December 1932. "A motion was made that a sidewalk be laid along the side of the church next to the street. Motion carried."
    April 1933. "Report was made by the treasurer of the Aid Society that in addition to paying their regular expenses the past month, they also paid the amount of $7.50 for piano tuning due from the church; had paid a coal bill of $4.50 which had been pledged by the B.Y.P.U.; and had given $4.00 toward communion glasses."
    May 1933. Among the officers elected for the coming year was Mrs. Roy Kruwell as pianist for the morning service.
    September 1933. "The committee appointed to inspect the song books reported we were in possession of 80 books, 18 of which were complete. The choir was instructed to solicit funds for new phone books."     February 1934. "It was taken by consent that the choir and Philathea Class use the cabinet in the Philathea class room jointly for their supplies."
    May 1934. "A letter was read from the Zion Baptist Church dismissing Mr. and Mrs. Charles Tayor from their membership to unite with us.
    August 1934. Delegates appointed to represent the church at the annual Sand Creek Association meeting were: Rev. and Mrs. Wm. H. Dillard, Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Reynolds, Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Downey, Mrs. Leslie King, Mrs. Homer Dell, Mrs. Lawson Williams, Mrs. Vernie Rice, Mrs. Sarah Johnson, Mrs. McClellan, Mrs. Walter Jones, Mrs. Rachel Baker, Mrs. Flors Eaton and Miss Effie Robbins.
    September 1934. Sunday, September 16, was set as a day for taking pledges for the purchase of coal.
    October 1934. Mr. Jarvis, George Buchanan and Frank West were selected as a committee to find out how many would work or help finciallly with the side walk. A committee was appointed to make plans for the celebration of the centennial of the church to be held in July 1935. Members of this committee were: Mrs. Alice Davenport, Mrs. Mae Moncrief, Mrs. A.F. Reynolds, Miss Effie Robbins, Miss Clara Umensetter, Mrs. Ester Huckleberry, Mrs. Nina Woolman, Wilbur Beeman, Mrs. Cora White, Miss Eva Simmons and Mrs. Nellie Collins.
    A special offering was to be taken at Christmas time for the purpose of buying new music for the choir. The Ladies Aid Society was also to help with this expense.
    December 1934. A vote of thanks was given James Grinstead and Paul Ellis for the work they did in grading the yard.
    March 1935. It was decided to hold the Centenial celebration September 29 - October 5 instead of in July.
    May 1935. "A letter was read from the clerk of the First Baptist Church of Nashville, Illinois, recommending to our fellowship Louise Thurston." It was reported that during the past year there had been 35 new members added to the church roll. Sixteen by baptism, 13 by letter, and six by relation. Total membership was 402. Of this 348 were resident members.
    July 1935. "Rev. Robert Marlett requested letter to unite with the First Baptist Church at Brownstown. It was moved and carried that the letter be granted.
    July 1935. "The Board of Trustees made the following report: Mr. Powell stated that he had examined the furnace, that the fire box had no breaks and could be repaired to use another year. That he would take charge of it and donate his work. It was moved and carried the report be accepted, and the furnace used another year.      "Mr. Dell reported that the chimney needed to be rebuilt, and the height increased, and that Mr. Harmes would do the brick work, that the belfry was leaning and there was a leak in the roof around the belfry and also in one of the S.S. class rooms, and the north window. That the window frames were loose and the basement ceiling needed to be painted.
    "It was moved and carried that the church begin the work at once, and raise the money as soon as possible. The trustees were instructed to have the work done according to their best judgement."     October 1935. A vote of thanks was given Rev. and Mrs. Dillard for their untiring efforts and writing the pageant and helping to make the Centennial a success.

    "The First Baptist Church of North Vernon was organized at Zoar on the last Saturday in July 1835. It seemed fitting that on the one hundreth anniversary the day should be observed, and the church voted to hold a week's celebration, lasting from September 29, 1935 to October 6, 1935. The entire program was a great success, and the members of the church felt a greater uplift than they had ever experienced.
    "The morning sermon on September 29 was delivered by the pastor, Rev. Wm. H. Dillard, on the subject, 'A Backward Look' the evening topic was 'Religion for the Future', with Rev. G.C. Mitchell speaker.
    "A special message was brought on Monday evening by Dr. A.A. Cohn of Seymour with his theme 'Missions of the Church'.
    "On Tuesday evening, the History of the Zoar Baptist Church was read by Wilbur Beeman. It told of the organization of the church, its early struggles and progress. This was followed by a pageant, 'Our Yesterdays in His Presence', which was historical throughout, being based on the actual records.
    "Wednesday evening the History of the North Vernon Baptist Church during the period the church was located on East Hoosier Street was read by Mrs. A.F. Reynolds. This was followed by the pageant 'Forward Steps from 1866 to 1905'. As a part of this episode, an early meeting of the Ladies Aid Society was given, the actual Scripture lessons being read, and business transacted according to the minutes. The meeting had been held at the home of Mrs. Conklin.
    "On Thursday evening, the History of North Vernon Baptist Church during the thirty years the building had been located on State Street was read by Mrs. Alice Cope Davenport. This was followed by the third episode of the pageant, 'Lo, These 30 Years'.
    "On Friday afternoon a Ladies Reception and Tea was held in the church parlor, Mrs. T.J. Parsons and Mrs. P.O. Duncan being the speakers.
    "A Memorial Service was held in the evening, at which time the message was given by Rev. T.J. Parsons.
    "On Sunday, Oct. 6, Dr. W.G. Spencer, Pres. of Franklin College, gave a splendid address at the morning service. In the afternoon, a pilgrimage was made to the two former sites of the church. Short talks were given by Miss Clara Umensetter and Ed Lewis at Zoar, and by Mrs. Otto White, Miss Eva Simmons and Prof. Fred C. Whitcomb of Oxford, Ohio, at the second location on Hoosier Street.
    "The Centennial closed on Sunday night with a Roll Call, and Communion Service. There was also a large birthday cake, on which were 25 candles, and these were lighted by descendants of some of the oldest members in honor of our ancestors. A glass case was on display containing souvenirs and relics of early days. The pageants were written by Rev. and Mrs. Wm. H. Dillard."

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and