Site Navigation


JOHN E. MURPHY
The Polular Liveryman and Carriage Dealer of Butlerville
From a 1897 supplement to the North Vernon Plain Dealer

J. E. MUPRHY LIVERY BARN

    No man is better known in Jennings county than John E. Murphy, the popular liveryman and carriage dealer of Butlerville. Mr. Murphy was bron in Columbiana county, Ohio, April 17, 1857. In 1860 he came with his parents to Jennings County, his father having taken a farm near Butlerville. He was brought up to hard work but withal managed to acquire a good common school education in the county schools. Having learned the trade of shoemaker, which craft his father followed in addition to farming, he pursued this calling in his father's shop until reaching the age of twenty-one, when he engaged in the livery business, which he has been connected with for twenty years. Purchasing the stock of W. H. Hutton, in Butlerville he applied himself diligently to business and soon found himself on the road to success. It was only a few years afterwards that he became the owner of the stables and barn wherein the business was conducted. Later he engaged in the carriage trade and erected a repository near his barn, which he filled with a well selected stock of buggies and other wheeled vehicles as well as a fine assortment of harness and horse equipment. This is the business he is engaged in to-day, and by reason of his knowledge of the wants of the people of Jennings county, and his intelligent catering to the necessities of the commercial travelers who do business in this section, he has built up a trade second to none in the county, and at the same time a personal popularity which has caused his name to be a familiar one in every township. Mr. Murphy's stable contains the best horses, and more of them, than that of anyone engaged in the same line of business in this section. Ordinarily he keeps on hand from twelve to fifteen head of stock, and is prepared at all seasons of the year to furnish any description of turnout for any purpose. He has a fine trade with traveling men, many of whom go out of their way to patronize him, knowing they can always get just what they want. Every year sees an increase in Mr. Murphy's buggy business. He handles the famous Lawrenceburg buggy, built by the James & Mayer Buggy Company, a vehicle which finds favor with all who have used it. These buggies are made of thoroughly seasoned lumber. They are strong, burable, light running, handsomely upholstered, finely finished, and with reasonable care, will last for many years. Mr. Murphy has sold hundreds of them to citizens of Jennings county, and has never had a complaint. Prices range from $35 to $65. In addition to buggies, he handles phaetons, surreys, road carts and a complete line of harness and horse goods. Mention should also be made here of the fact that in front of Mr. Murphy's livery barn are the platform scales used by the town and country people who have occasion to obtain accurate weights for their produce.
    Mr. Murphy was married April 17, 1888, to Miss Alfaretta A. Case, of Nebraska, Jennings county. The union has been a happy one, and a boy, now aged seven years, is the light of the home, the latter being a most attractive cottage near his business premises. Mr. Murphy is highly esteemed by his fellow townsmen, every one of whom has a good word to speak in his favor.


You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and