Site Navigation

Colonel Hagerman Tripp
North Vernon Sun - February 18, 1891

Col. Hagerman Tripp, After a Long and Useful Life, Passes to his Last Reward

On fame's eternal camping-ground
His silent tent is spread,
And glory guards, with solemn round,
The bivouaq of the dead.

    "Colonel Tripp is dead."
    These were the sad words that startled our community at 1:30 o'clock Thursday last.
    A life ripe in years and honor is ended.
    The heroic soldier, the noble man, a true gentleman, the good citizen is at rest.
    The brave spirit that refused to yield upon the battle field has succumbed to the call of Death, and joined the innumerable throng gone before.     Peace to his ashes.     Colonel Tripp was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, Sept. 16, 1812, and was aged 78 years, 4 months and 26 days. He came to Jennings county when sixteen years of age, and was one of her earliest pioneers. About a month ago he was stricken with paralysis, after which it was only a question of time when the curtain would fall upon the last sad act, which occurred at 1:30 o'clock last Thursday, Feb. 12.
    Colonel Tripp was the founder of the town of Tripton, now the city of North Vernon. During the late war he served with great distinction and credit, from the very first until the time when he received the wound that sent him home a cripple for life. His first service was in the three months campaign as captain of Company D. of the Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Subsequently he veteranized as captain of the same company, but by meritorious conduct he soon rose to the colonelency of his regiment. In the battle of Chickamauga he was dangerously wounded, which wholly disabled him from further duty. After the war he was appointed and served several years as United States Revenue assessor in this district, which position he filled with honor to himself and entire satisfaction to all concerned.
    Colonel Tripp was a pure, moral and christian gentleman, and as a citizen he was one of whom any community might well feel proud. Every project for the good or advancement of the town always received his encouragement and aid. In short, he was a man among men, and in his death the family and relatives have suffered an irreparable loss. A widow and three sons survive him.
    The funeral was conducted from the residence Sunday at 2 p.m., under the auspices of the G.A.R. and was an imposing affair.
    The procession was headed by the Columbus band, followed by local G.A.R. organizations, Isom Keith Post of Columbus and the Scipio and Butlerville son of Veterans, besides citizens on foot and in carriages. A large number of members of the Masonic fraternity also turned out in a body in respect to the dead.
    The attendance was unusually large, and had it not been for the steady downpour of rain the procession would have been the largest ever seen at a funeral in this part of the state. Special trains were run over the O. & M. and P.C.C. & St. L. roads and many persons from various parts of the state were present.

You may use this material for your own personal research, however it may not be used for commercial publications without express written consent of the contributor, INGenWeb, and