Charles Hall BASSETT
Mary Ann KYGER were married in Brookville, Indiana, on August 25, 1863, they
brought together families that had been part of the earliest
settlements along the Whitewater River valley in Southeastern
Indiana. The children of this marriage were to participate in the
building of a new settlement in northern Lake County named Gary. The
seven children of Charles and Mary were: Leora T. (1865-1922) m.
Daniel Havens (known to all as Lola and Doc) Ch. Mabel, Georgia, C.
Howard, Madeleine Lewis W. (1869-1873) A. Gertrude (1872-1959) m.
Frank O. Hodson Ch. Ralph Grace (1876-1961) m. Charles Allison Ch.
Vivian L. Orris W. (1878-1966) m. Mary Emma Hains Ch. Maxine Harry
H. (1880-1893) Walter S. (1884-1961) m. Golda Tegarden Ch. Mary,
Robert, Virginia about 1893 the family moved to Elwood, Indiana,
where the oldest daughter had gone to live with her husband. As the
children married and established their own homes, they either lived
nearby or made the weekly trek to spend Sunday with Charles and
Mary. Charles had been a brick layer but joined his son, Orris, in
the plumbing business in Elwood. Gertrude was the first of the
Bassett brothers and sisters to move to Gary where she and her
husband, Frank Hodson, became socially prominent community leaders.
Encouraged by the Hodsons and the opportunity offered in this
budding city, one by one the other family members made the move. The
Allisons and Havens had moved to Indianapolis, but both families
were in Gary by 1920 with daughters Vivian Allison and Madeleine
Havens enrolled in Emerson High School. About 1920 Charles and Mary
also moved to Gary and were joined by Orris in 1925. When first
arriving in Gary the families usually lived with or near one
another--often renting a house from the Hodsons. The addresses
include 521 Monroe, 221 W. 6th Ave., 525 and 527 Jackson. Walter was
the only Bassett off-spring to resist Gary. He and his family moved
frequently and to several different states, but resided for a number
of years at 8204 Forest Ave. in Munster. Distance, however, seldom
prevented them from joining in family gatherings. An appreciation of
and talent for art and music was evidenced in several family
members. Lola taught art for a time in the Gary Schools and
Gertrude's hand painted china is still admired by family members.
Ralph Hodson and his daughter, Sally, were both singers and lent
their voices to most of the family weddings. Walter's pumpkin
carvings were an annual art event for the family. Charles had served
in the Union Army during the Civil War and was one of the 14 charter
members of the William A. Ketcham Post of the Grand Army of the
Republic which was organized in Gary in 1923--believed to be the
last post to be organized. In 1926, at age 86, he became Commander
of the post. In their final years, Charles and Mary lived with the
Hodsons at their home at 1516 W. 6th Ave. where the regular Sunday
gathering of the clan took place. Charles and Mary each died in 1929
but their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren still
assembled with some regularity. They were a fun loving group, able
to create their own entertainment or adopt the latest game craze.
There were beach parties at Wells Street and "10-cent" Christmas
parties at the home of Frank or Ralph Hodson or at Walter Bassett's
home in Munster, where Walter was the first family member to
discover that a basement could be converted to a "rec-room". The
younger children often produced a play for the Christmas gathering.
All of the youngsters have fond memories of special times at the
Hodson's Long Beach summer cottage. In later years, the family
gathered at Joe and Madeleine (Havens) Wildermuth's beach home or at
their farm near Leroy, Indiana. In 1989 the descendants of Charles
and Mary Bassett are far flung and see one another only rarely. Yet
each holds a special place in his childhood memory of the Bassett
Source: Submitted by: Dorothy Wildermuth
Vekasi - firstname.lastname@example.org