HISTORY ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY
of the Church of Christ
Newspaper clipping of
Interesting history sent in by
INJACK1@aol.com (Jack Childers)
On the second Lord's Day of
March, 1842, a group of seven persons met at the home of,
WM. WELLS three miles south of Lowell, to take the Bible and
that alone as their guide and the rule of faith and
practice, in all matters of religious belief. These were J.L.
WORLEY, SIMON BEADLE, SARAH BEADLE, THOMAS CHILDRESS, SARAH
CHILDRESS, JANE (Childers) HOLMES, ELIZABETH WELLS,. After a
discourse by NATHAN COFFENBURY, pastor of the Sherburnville,
Ill. church, the above seven persons became the first
members of the new congregation.
They continued to meet in the
homes of the members for several years with increasing
The following acted as
overseers--SIMON BEADLE, 1848; J. L. WORLEY, 1849; HENRY
DICKERSON,1853; G. F. SUTTON,1860; WM. WILLIAMS, 1866.The
early Deacons were--J. L. WORLEY,1842; STANLEY CASTLE, 1849;
DAVIS TABER,1849; JOHN NORTHRUP,1853. There were about 25
members in 1849.The lots for the church were purchased
before the Civil War . A brick building was begun in 1869.
CRYUS DICKERSON, then 19 years old, hauled the first load of
stone on a stone boat drawn by one horse. The cost of the
building was $4,000. Of this amount $1,200 was given by
HENRY DICKERSON, J. L. WORLEY, IRA BABCOCK*, and ORRIN
BECKWITH contributed liberally and the community in general
assisted. Later J.L. WORLEY MORTGAGED 40 acres of land to
finish paying for the church building.
In February,1870, the first
meeting was held in the new building, dedicated by Bro. L.
SHORTRIDGE and the membership grew to about 55.This Church
was known as the Lone Star Church for many years, being the
only church in the county.
*IRA BACOCK was the husband of
PHEBE JANE CHILDERS sister
of THOMAS CHILDERS and daughter
of JANE CHILDERS HOLMES