Bedford Daily Mail
Monday, February 11, 1918


Of Mrs. Susan Carlton Houston Occurred Sunday At Home On Fourteenth Street


The Angel of Death descended Sunday at noon in the full brightness of the beautiful winter Sabbath, and invading the Wallheiser home on West Fourteenth street carried away the soul of the venerable and much beloved mother, Mrs. Susan Carlton Houston, who had been declining for two weeks her condition becoming critical last Friday. Her illness was not generally known and the news of her demise came as a great shock.

Susan Carlton was born April 14, 1836 to Thomas L. and Palice Halbert Carlton on the site of what is now known as Henderson's mill on Guthrie creek, where Mr. Carlton was a miller for years.

In 1840 the family moved down to the old Carlton place, now the Halbert Sheeks farm, on Guthrie creek, where the happy childhood and girlhood of the deceased was spent.

In 1866 Mr. Carlton bought the home on the southeast corner of 17th and G (Now the Mary Rae property) and moved his family there. One year later at his home April 3, 1867, Susan Carlton and Franklin Alexander Houston, oldest son of the pioneers Levi and Rachel Houston, were united in marriage and went to housekeeping in the dwelling remodeled from the Bedford Seminary, the first high school in Bedford, situated on the north side of Fourteenth street, between I and J streets where their only child, a daughter, Julia, was born to them.

In 1868 Mr. and Mrs. Houston moved to the Samuel Irwin place, later known as the Houston place at the end of South H street, this city, where they resided continuously until the husband passed away March 10, 1884, the wife remaining there with her daughter, who later became Mrs. J. W. Wallheiser, until Sept. 4th, 1912, when she came with her daughter to occupy the home on West Fourteenth street, this city.

In her early girlhood she united with the Bathabria Baptist church at Buddha (now extinct) and retained her membership with that denomination for forty years, or until April 1898, when she joined the First Christian church under the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Franklin during the second wonderful revival service conducted by Rev. James Small, of Columbus, coincident, her only grandson, Frank Wallheiser, then only a little boy united with the church on that day.

While naturally unassuming and of quiet disposition she was always gracious and hospitable. She was very domestic, all of her activities centering in her home and her family. She was especially devoted to her daughter and the affection she showered upon her grandchildren, Frank and Mary Wallheiser, was tender and true which was repaid in kind as they certainly adored the gentle kindly spirit who shed such a radiance in their home circle throughout the years.

One of the happiest days in the family circle was the celebration of Grandma Houston's eightieth birthday anniversary April 14, 1916 when of the special guests there were Frank Wallheiser and his bride, who came from Shelbyville, Tenn. for the momentous occasion.

She was strong in mind. Events and dates of the earlier times were ever ready at command and she was generous with her knowledge.

She was ambitious and even in her later days took great interest in affairs of the day. She was especially interested in Woman's Franchise activities and created quite a furor when she and Mrs. Rebecca Daggy, aged 91 years, the two oldest women in the city were among the first to register last spring and it was one of her greatest desires to be able to cast her vote.

She was also an ardent admirer of the soldier boys and was among the first to get busy on knitting leaving a wonderful record of having knitted twenty seven pairs of perfect socks for soldiers and even up to last Wednesday she tried to knit, but had to lay it aside on account of weakness. Her patriotic fervor will serve as a stimulus to many of the younger and stronger, who will see that the work will go on.

She was the last of a family of eight children as well as the last one who had married into the large Houston family to be called. Surviving her are the daughter, Mrs. Wallheiser, granddaughter, Miss Mary Wallheiser, and grandson, Frank Wallheiser, of Shelbyville, Tenn., who will arrive here this evening.

The funeral services will be conducted by Rev. Gerald Culberson at the residence, 1117 West Fourteenth street Tuesday afternoon at two thirty o'clock followed by interment in Green Hill.

Bedford Daily Mail
February 13, 1918


Of Mrs. Susan Houston Was Conducted From Wallheiser Home Tuesday Afternoon.


The home of Mrs. Julia Wallheiser was filled Tuesday afternoon with relatives and friends who had gathered to pay the last sad tribute of respect to her aged mother, Mrs. Susan Houston, who had passed away Sunday.

Lying in sweet repose in her last long sleep she was surrounded with a wealth of beautiful flowers, the symbols of affection for the deceased and sympathy for the bereaved ones.

Rev. Gerald Culberson conducted the services and his remarks were tributes to the beautiful Christian character of the mother, who after such a long and useful life now lay asleep in Jesus.

Hymns were sung by a quartette composed of Mrs. Eugene Quackenbush, Miss Bess Smith, Campbell Fields and Justin A. Rutherford.

The pall bearers were C. H. Strupe, H. D. Martin, Harry Gainey, Jesse M. Winstandley, W. A. Mitchell, George P. Parks.

Interment was made at Green Hill.

Among those who were here for the services were Frank Wallheiser, of Shelbyville, Tenn.; Fred Hoover, of Bloomington; Mrs. Martin Martini and little grandson of Mitchell.

Typed and donated by Connie Shotts, CG.