History of Lawrence County, Indiana

Transcribed passages are from the following book:
History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties Indiana
1914 B. F. Bowen & Co. Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana


Indian creek township is the center one of the three which form the western border of Lawrence county. The name is taken from the creek that enters at the northwest corner, leaving near the southwest corner. Salt creek and the East fork of White river form the eastern and southern boundaries. The township is one of the original five, and now is much smaller than at first.

A few of the men who entered land in this township during the days up until 1820 were: Henry Speed. John Towell, Simon Ruebottom, Benjamin Beeson, Silas Dixon, Jonathan Lindley, Ephraim Lee, Isaac Williams, Joseph Richardson, Seymour Cobb, Archibald Wood, Felter Hughes, James Garton, David Sears, Jesse Towell and Peyton Wilson, in 1816; David Ribelin, James Duncan. Adam Siler. John Duncan, John Cloud, John Roberts, Reuben Short, Jeremiah Boone, Elijah Boone, John Rochester, Wesley Short, John Crook, Daniel Todd, Abraham Kern, Robert Garton and R. Browning, William Dillard, John and Michael Waggoner, Joseph Sargeant, Henry Waggoner, Elbert Howard, Sullivan and Duncan, John Duncan, in 1817; Robert Wood, William Gartin, Henry Piersoll, Holland Pitman, William Dougherty, James Mulloy, Isaac Waggoner, William Cochran, Robert Mitchell, Peyton Wilson and Martin Ribelin, in 1818; Andrew Howard, Sterling Sims, John Short, Albert Howard. Benjamin Chestnut and William Woodrun, in 1819; John Donaldson, in 1820.


On the banks of the East fork of the White River, in the southwestern portion of Indian Creek township, is situated the village of Williams.


The village of Fayetteville was laid out on February 6, 1838, by Ezra Kern, and in October 1874, an addition was made to the original by Noah Kern.


Robert C McAfee platted the village of Silverville in 1855, on the 26th of July.