History of Lawrence County, Indiana
Transcribed passages are from the following book:
History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties Indiana
1914 B. F. Bowen & Co. Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana
Of the three townships which form the northern end of the county, Marshall is the center and is next to the smallest in the county. The township was named for John Marshall, the eminent chief justice of the United States. Land entries were made in this township as early as 1816.
Until the year 1820 the land entries were as follows: Jacob Hattabaugh 1816: William Curl 1816: Hamilton Reddick 1817: John Fairley 1819: John Goodwin 1818: Robert Anderson 1819: John Hargis 1816: William Sackey 1817: Jesse Brown 1816: James Culley 1816: Michael Hattabaugh 1816: Jacob Bruner 1818: Henry Brown 1818: John Zumwald 1818: Henry Leonard 1818: Patrick Tyler 1817: Nicholas Bruner 1816: William Quillen 1818: John Dryden 1817: Joshua Gullet 1816: Adam House 1816: Thomas Reynolds 1817: and Absalom Sargeant 1817.
One mile and a half northwest of Oolitic in Marshall township is the little village of Avoca. T. A. Hudson is the postmaster.
Winepark Judah was responsible for the laying of Guthrie on December 10, 1865.