Martin County Biographies

Would you like to add your biographies to this page? Using a format similar to that shown below, and being sure to include your sources, send your biographies to me for inclusion on this page. 

Be sure to include URLs if any of the people you submit can be found somewhere else on the Web - for example, in a family history page - and I'll link them back to that page. 


BECK, Alexander Devin,

Alexander D. Beck was born June 19, 1831, in Washington County, Indiana, as was recorded in the family Bible. In 2002, my brother, Dr. Robert J. Beck of Fort Worth, Texas has this Bible. Alexander, or "Elick" as he was lovingly called in his youth, shared the name of his maternal
grandfather, Alexander Devin, a Scots-Irish Baptist. Alexander Devin served in the Indiana Legisslature and was a Baptist preacher. 
A. D. Beck, listed in the 1880 Texas Census, named North Carolina as his father's birthplace, and indicated his mother's birthplace was unknown. His father was Andrew Milton Beck, born in Rowan (now Davidson) County North Carolina on July 5, 1795. Alexander's mother was Susan "Sueky" Nowlin Devin (Diven) and was born September 22, 1796, probably in Pittsylvania Co., VA, She died December 5, 1932 in Washington Co., Indiana, after giving birth to her baby son, John J., who was Alexander's younger brother. Andrew M., then, had the responsibility of a
newborn baby, a son eighteen months, and three young daughters. He must have had help from other family members where they lived in the Beck's Mill community.
Alexander's father next married Rebecca Barker in Washington Co., Indiana. They also had several children, and about 1854, took the covered-wago trip to Kaufman County, TX in the College Mound Community.
Alexander grew up in the vicinity of Beck's Mill, a small settlement in Howard Twp., south Washington County, south of Salem, Indiana, where his grandfather, George Beck, Sr. had brought his family from North Carolina in 1807, staying a short time in Bear Grass, which is now Louisville, Kentucky. George and his two older sons, John, age 23 and George, Jr., age 16, while out scouting in December 1807, located Organ Spring along Mill Creek and build a grist-mill there. The spring was dammed and provided a gallon of water per minute at 60 degree temperature. Andrew M., the father of Alexander, was 13 years old in 1808 when the family made their home in this vicinity. The first grist-mill was a log structure fifteen feet square.  Beck's Hill, the settlement as it was known, within a short time, became the social center as
families from a thirty mile radius brought their corn to Beck's Mill to be ground into cornmeal.  Sometime it took two or three days as they waited their turns, so games were played outdoors.  Young lads liked to accompany their fathers, and may have wrestled and played hide-and-seek games with this young ancestor of ours. The hill, a fairly steep incline, was wonderful for the foot races held there, and many lads were barefoot, running on the gravel and rocks. Growing up on Beck's Hill, Andrew M. may have seen many exciting times, as Indians came to the settlement and professed great friendship for their "white brothers." They were given food and
meal, and in the night, they would take horses. Little bands of Delaware Indians still tented up Mill Creek, a few miles above Beck's Mill. Two were medicine men. The sulfa saline water from this creek helped stomach trouble.
Families raised two or three acres of wheat, which was a good crop in those early days, for it had to be cut with a sickle, threshed out with the flail and winnowed with a sheet. It is said that Alexander's grandmother, Elizabeth, could cut more wheat than any man she ever raced against. The scythe and cradle came into use about 1840. 
There was a cave just one mile up the creek from the mill which had two openings. The fish inside were blind due to the darkness. The young Beck men, John and George, were very good bear hunters and were fearless. One story is written that other men were frightened to go into the cave, but the young Beck men entered, shot once and drug out a 450 pound bear, which the meat and grease lasted for a month or two. 
A church/school house had been erected in the fall of 1811; settlers came and cut the timbers to build their homes, a fort was built just across the road in front of the mill, a preacher settled there and built a distillery; then preached on Sunday! In the summer of 1825 a frame building, twenty by thirty feet square replaced the first mill structure, and in 1864, a commodious, two-story frame was built, which still stands today. Two years later, a lean-to was built and a carding machine was put in operation. When the two-story mill was built, the carding machinery was placed in the second story. 
Alexander's uncles, John J. Beck and George, Beck, Jr. married young women, Anna Rogers and Elizabeth Masters, who had moved there with their families. Alexander's father, Andrew, chose a preacher's daughter, Susan "Sueky" Nowlin Devin, for his wife May 6, 1821. 
Young Alexander D. Beck learned to read and write at the small school and helped his father, Andrew, at the mill and on their farm in many ways. School sessions were three months of the year. Alexander was born following his sisters, Elizabeth Ann, Sarah D, and Susan Nowlin. Alexander was one and a half years of age when his mother gave birth to another son, John J. on 5 December, 1832. She died after that birth, so Alexander never really knew his mother; his father married again on 27 February 1834 to Rebecca Barker, and she raised the children, and gave birth to five more children by Andrew.
Alexander Beck is listed with his family in the 1850 Census Index, p. 101 of Washington County, Indiana at age 19; and is listed in the 1860 census in Martin County, Indiana. As a young man 21, in 1854, he went to Kaufman County, Texas, with his parents when they left Indiana and located there; however, he was in Lawrence County, Indiana the following year, where he married Mrs. Catherine (Horsey) Greenwood on August 21, 1856. She gave birth to his four children: Susan, Emma, Clary and John Jefferson (J. J.) Beck before her death in 1866.
Alexander D. Beck served in the Civil War, On the 26th day of September, 1864, he was drafted and enrolled at Columbus, Indiana as a Private in Co. B - 31st Regiment of the Indiana Infantry.  He served for a few months at Lick Creek, Tennessee. He began suffering from Chronic Diarrhea and Rheumatism there, spent time in the hospitals in Nashville, Tennessee and Jeffersonville, Indiana and was released. All the remainder of his life he had some problems with this diarrhea, as evidenced in his Pension Papers filed in1891-1898.
The brother of Alexander, John J. Beck, was a veteran of the CSA, Co. E. 70th Texas Cavalry. Catherine Horsey Greenwood Beck, died at age 37 on December 1, 1866 and is buried near the top of the hill on the right in Spring Hill Cemetery, Shoals, Martin County, Indiana.
Alexander D. Beck then married Sarah Francis Survance, who raised the three children; Clary had died before age two. The family placed their belongings into an ox-drawn wagon and made the long trip to (now) Wills Point, Van Zandt County, Texas. 
An Elic Beck is listed in the 1880 Census in Nacogdoches Co., TX. Could he have been listed twice in the 1880 Texas Census? After Sarah's death at age 37, he married Mrs. Lucy F.(Cole) Palmer, age 34, and after a short ten months marriage, she died and was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Kaufman Co., TX. Again, he wed Mrs. Mary Jane (Mackey) Russell in Wills Point, Texas. Within a year, they left and moved to the Mackey Estate, her parent's property, in West Millgrove, Ohio.
Alexander D. Beck's burial place is in River View Cemetery, Wood County, Ohio. A large and stately gravestone marks this serene place. On Memorial Day each year, a silver star with the inscription GAR 1861-1865 is placed beside his stone, indicating his service in the Civil War - Grand Army of the Republic. 
Alexander D. Beck was my great-grandfather; (Mrs.) Catharine Horsey Greenwood Beck was my great-grandmother. I call them "Alexander the Great" and "Catharine the Great."
Joyce Nell Beck Truitt


BRAMBLE, Levin (Eleven)

Levin Bramble, his wife Mary Harriett AVERY and family arrived from Kentucky in 1829. They settled at Mount Pleasant. Bramble became a skilled craftsman in making furniture. He had a workshop in his home. He was also a talented fiddle player and singer. He was the chief entertainer at social gatherings. Thomas E., one of his sons, was also a skilled craftsman. He married Theresa (Treacy) A. WILLIAMS in 1836. Their 10 children were: Sarah Ann (m. Thomas E. JONES), James (m. Eliza Ann, sister of Thomas E. JONES), Harriet (m. James Hillary JONES, brother of Thomas E. JONES), Nancy (m. RRior CLEMENTS), Mary (m. Marion HALBERT), Thomas (m. Sarah SHIRCLIFF), Treacy, her twin Margaret (m. George PADGETT), Levin M. (m. Julia HOLLAND) and Rebecca J. (m. John RAGLE). Source: History of Martin County, Indiana by Harry Q. Holt.


BOWLING, Harry Joseph,

Harry Joseph Bowling, a lifelong resident of Loogootee, Martin Co, IN, Harry Joseph BOWLING was born 20 Nov 1898 in Daviess Co, IN one of 12 children of Johnathon William BOWLING and Margaret Cordelia PATTERSON, of Barr Township, then moved in 1918 to Washington, IN. Mr. BOWLING worked for the electric company until his retirement. He married Bridget Nancy MATTINGLY December 2, 1919 at St. John's Church, Loogootee. She was the daughter of John Hilary MATTINGLY and Maria Angeline YODER. She died December 4, 1970 at Jasper Memorial in DuBois County and is buried at St. John's Cemetery, Loogootee. Mr. BOWLING is the father of 7 children, two died young.*Joseph Lester, b. 5 June 1920, Martin Co, IN; d. 4 Aug 1921 *John William, b. 16 Oct 1921, Martin Co, IN; m. Ardis Katherine BRAUN 12 June 1948, Martin Co, IN. *Mary Margaret, b. 18 Sept 1923, Martin Co, IN; m. Ralph Eugene SHERFICK 28 Jan 1944 *James Harry, b. 12 March 1926, Martin Co, IN; m. Orvilla Jean STRAWN 19 Feb 1944 *Donald Francis, b. 19 July 1928, Martin Co, IN; m. 1) Patricia Jean SUMMERS 10 August 1950, m. 2) Patty Gee *Raymond Louis, b. 11 Nov 1930, Martin Co, IN; d. in automobile accident 29 Oct 1949 *Dorothy Agnes, b. 13 Nov 1932, Martin Co, IN; m. Robert Ernest HORTIE 25 July 1950. Mr. Bowling currently resides with his son and daughter-in-law, in Loogootee, and will celebrate his 100th birthday on November 20, 1998. The Bowling Family Reunion is July 18, 1998 in Loogootee.
Submitted by: Shirley Platt Plattshirl@aol.com


BRITTAIN, Stephen H. 

Stephen H. Brittain as born in Salem, Washington County, IN on 25 September 1836. His parents were Thomas BRITTAIN and Catherine HOEL, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Dr. Brittain began the practice of Medicine at Newberry, Indiana, where he remained until he enlisted in Company C, 14th Indiana Volunteer Infantry in April 1861. He became a First Lieutenant and was honorably discharged in Nashville, TN in October 1865. He at once began the practice of medicine at Loogootee. He was married on 12 March 1863 to Elizabeth A., daughter of John B. WOOD and Catherine BERKSHIRE. They had four children, two of whom died early. Remaining are: Laura K. (Mrs. H.A. Martin of New Castlee, IN) and Thomas K. Following his wife's death in December 1892, Dr. BRITTAIN married Letitia K., daughter of Alexander SHARUM and Isabel BLANDFORD. They had one child, Stephen G. Source: Footprints, Vol. X, July 1997, Issue 3.


CALVIN, Jonathan Dilley 

Jonathan Calvin Dilley was born in 1809 in Hunterdon Co., NJ to the parents of Nathaniel B. CALVIN (ca.1785-1839) and Sarah Dilley (died before 1839 in Sussex Co., NJ). J.D. Calvin was named after his maternal grandfather, Jonathan DILLEY, who named his grandson in his will made in May, 1820, proved September 2, 1820 in Hunterdon Co., NJ. J.D. Calvin moved with his parents to Sussex Co., NJ after spending a few years in Seneca Co., NY. J.D. Calvin was involved in several land transactions in Newton and Green Twps, Sussex Co., NJ before moving his family in 1845 to Perry Twp., Martin Co., IN. He acquired considerable land between 1850-1856 and was sheriff before dying in April 1857 leaving his widow the former Mary (Updike?) (January 19, 1814, NJ-January 7, 1866, Martin Co., NJ), and his children Catharine (1834-bef1880) m. Joseph WILDMAN January 5, 1854; Andrew b.1836; Nathan (1836-1901); Sarah, b. 1841; Carolyn (1843-1878)m.1878 Levi Wildman (oldest surviving Civil War Vet); Samuel, b. 1844; Augustus, b. 1847; Richard,b. 1849; Harriet b. 1854; Keziah b. 1858. Four sons were in the Civil War, Nathan, Samuel, Augustus, and Andrew. At the death of J.D. Calvin, Joseph WILDMAN, the husband of Caroline CALVIN, was made guardian of the eight minor children. Caroline and Andrew were no longer minors. On July 11, 1864, Joseph WILDMAN asked to be relieved of his guardianship, which the court granted. Less than two years later, January 7, 1866, Mary died and the minor children wre farmed out to various families in the community (evident in the 1870 census). Submitted by Roger Colvet coltvet1@home.com


CAMPBELL, John L. 

John L. Campbell was born in NC on 27 October 1828. While on his way to Missouri in the fall of 1852 he came to Martin County to visit relatives.  He became so impressed with its future that he settled at Mount Pleasant to practice medicine. In 1855 he moved to Loogootee and built the third house in the village, thus becoming one of its founders. Dr. CAMPBELL enlisted in Co. B 80th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry in 1862. He died in 1893. Source: Footprints, Vol. X, July 1997, Issue 3.


CARL, Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin Carol was born 5 Nov 1840 Milltown, Harrison Co IN. On 27 Apr 1862 in Leavenworth, Crawford Co IN he married Rachel ROACH (b 24 May 1841, Pilot, Crawford Co IN, d 25 Apr 1899). His parents were Frederick William CARL and Patience OLINGER. Benjamin served in Co F 9th Indiana Regiment Volunteers from 1861 to Aug 1865. Following his service time he farmed in Crawford Co and Lawrence Co. According to Goodspeeds 'History of Lawrence County Indiana' Benjamin was Postmaster and huckster shop owner in Williams in 1885. In his Civil War Pension Application he stated he moved to Martin Co in 1885. He was the 1st and only Postmaster of the Mt Olive Post Office which was established 19 Aug 1887 and was discontinued in 1916. Benjamin and Rachel had 10 children: John F born 4 Feb 1863; Thomas J born Oct 1864; Mary born 10 Nov 1865; Henry W born 25 Dec 1868; Sanford V born 7 Aug 1872; Lucinda E born 29 Jul 1874; Emma J born 18 Sep 1876; Minnie May born 8 Jan 1879; Dora J born 14 May 1881 and Delia born 29 May 1884. Benjamin was married 3 times following the death of Rachel. He married Emma L Sanders; Mary A House Haller and Margaret L Carter. Benjamin died 4 Nov 1917 and is buried in Mt Olive Cemetery Lawrence Co with 3 of his 4 wives alongside. He also has at least 1 daughter and 2 grandsons buried nearby. Source: Charles R Carl


CARL, Minnie May 

Minnie May Carl was born 8 Jan 1879 in Lawrence Co IN, d 2 Sep 1933 at her home in Mt Olive, Martin Co. Her parents were Benjamin and Rachel Roach CARL. Minnie married Virgil B SMITH 6 Jan 1898 in Martin Co IN. Virgil was born 24 Jan 1869 Martin Co. His parents were Gedion and Jenetta Wagner SMITH. Virgil died 29 Apr 1939 at his home in Martin Co. Minnie and Virgil had 3 sons; Clyde b 17 Oct 1898, m Minnie SIMS 23 June 1923 Martin Co., no children, Clyde died 21 Sep 1953 Mitchell, Lawrence Co IN; Cletus b 19 Jul 1900 Martin Co, married Farrell E SIMS 28 Aug 1922 Bedford, Lawrence Co IN. Cletus and Farrell had 1 child Eithel Guy b 1 Sep 1923 Bedford, Lawrence Co. Cletus died 29 Nov 1975 Bedford, Lawrence Co and Carl b 26 May 1906 Martin Co. Carl died 26 Jul 1929 from drowning. Minnie, Virgil and son Carl are buried in the Mt Olive Cemetary. Source: Charles Carl


Chenoweth, Joseph G. (American, 1891-?)

Joseph G. Chenoweth was born in Shoals, Indiana, in 1891. Though he began his art studies at the John Herron Art Institute in Indianapolis, he received much instruction at the Cincinnati Art Academy, under Forsythe, Duveneck, and Meakin, and finished his studies at the Chicago Art Institute.

A member of the Guild of Free Lance Artists, Chenoweth primarily was painter of portraits, as well as commercial illustrations. In the years of 1924 and 1925, he taught at the American Academy of Art in Chicago. Thereafter, he relocated to Chicago, where he would expand his concentrations to include landscapes, still life, and genre pieces; as a mural painter he worked with several galleries, and also a series of rooms in a number of mansions designed by the esteemed architect Bryant Fleming. These latter edifices include the Cheek Mansion in Nashville, Tennessee, and the McKinney residence, in Titusville, Pennsylvania.

Widely exhibited in Chicago, Chenoweth’s works have appeared at the Art Institute of Chicago (1914), the National Academy of Design, the Palette & Chisel Club (1925), and the Grand Central Art Galleries.

Excerpt from The Cow Bell, a monthly publication of the Palette & Chisel Club:

The exhibition of oils by Joseph Chenoweth in the club galleries was a pleasant surprise to our members, to whom his work as a watercolorist is more familiar. Although only twelve paintings were hung, they covered the entire range of oil paintings and included portraits, landscapes, and still life, all well-drawn and loosely painted without efforts for garish effects. A succession of such exhibitions would do much to increase the clientele of the club galleries.


CLARK, John B. 

 John B. Clark was born June 04, 1855 in Indiana to Jonathan Clark and Frances (WOLFINGTON) Clark. Known siblings were: Samuel Clark, Permelia Ann Clark, Mary Elizabeth Clark, Louisa H. Clark (MOORE), and Charles H. Clark. He married Almira COMPTON June 25, 1880 in Martin Co., Indiana. Almira was the daughter of Thomas Compton and Martha FRENTRESS. John B. Clark died November 14, 1893 in Lost River Township, Martin County, Indiana of typhoid fever at the age of 38. Almira died two months later on January 22, 1894 of typhoid fever at the age of 29. The location of their graves is unknown. 

Children of John B. and Almira Compton Clark are as follows: Della Frances Clark, b. October 11, 1881 (married James ROACH); Charles Dolphus Clark, b. May 22, 1884 (married Margaret WININGER); Olive Mae Clark, b. May 31, 1886 (married James BATEMAN); Sarah Belle Clark, b. December 12, 1887 (married Charles SLATER); John Quiller Clark, b. April 30, 1889 (married Mary Belle COBB); Pearl Clark, b. April 09, 1891 (married George HOUTSCH); and Lola Ethel Clark, b. February 25, 1893 (married George W. SPOONMORE). 

After their parents’ death, the children were raised by friends and relatives in the community: Lafayette & Hattie DAVISSON, John and Annie JONES, Andrew Jackson & Jane DAVISSON, William & Mary ANDERSON, Richard McClellan & Mary Melvina JONES, William & Louisa ABLE, and John P. GRISSOM. 

The Clark family was affiliated with Waggoner’s Chapel. 

Source: Cathy Clark Beard research (beardc@indiana.edu

02/12/2007


DENSON, Levi

Levi Denson was born 2 April 1831 in Indiana. On 26 June 1860 he married Hannah E. FAUCETT (b. 1844 in IN). They had two children: Grace (b. 15 January, 1873) and Minnie. Levi was a blacksmith. He was also an elder in the Trinity Springs Christian Church. Levi's parents were James DENSON of MD and Mary ROACH of KY. Levi died on 29 April, 1923 and was buried in the Old Trinity Cemetery in Shoals. Hannah died on 16 January 1929 and was buried in the Old Trinity Cemetery. Their daughter, Minnie, is buried between them. Source: Lynda Smith Research


DENSON, JAMES:

James Denson was born ca. 1807 in Maryland. On 29 May 1828 he married Mary Roach in Lawrence County. James and Mary had six children before Mary died. They were Henry W. (b. 1829), Levi (b. 2 April 1831), Tabitha (b. 1833) John M. (b. 1835), Maria (b. 1838) and Eliamonondus (b. 1838). James lists his occupation in the census as a Merchant. He remarried on 14 February 1850. His second wife was Matilda PATTERSON. Source: Lynda Smith Research


EDWARDS, Albert A.

Albert A. EDWARDS was born. June 27-1883, d. Sept. 1970 in Shoals, Martin Co., Indiana. His wife's name was Flosa (Flossie) A. INMAN, married March 23-1916. Her parents were John B INMAN and Clementine SHORT. Their son Albert EDWARDS was b. March 5-1904 and died in Shoals Jan. 1985. One of their sons, Robert b. Feb 22-1923 died in Loogootee, Indiana in Jan-1987. Other sons were named Richard and Howard and a daughter named Doris. Richard married Patsy Sue BUCKLES of Bicknell, IN in 1953 and later moved to OH, MO, SC, LA, and GA.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Terry Edwards


GWIN, Isum

Captain Isum GWIN was born october 17,1826 near Lanesville in Harrison County Indiana. He spent his childhood near his birthplace. In 1837 his parents, Holmes and Mary GWIN, moved near Haysville, Dubois county. The family once again moved to Rutherford Township in Martin County, where Isum resided until 1886. Isum married Sarah MOSIER on October 8th,1857. Sarah died in an accident while making soap, her dress catching on fire and being alone at the time in the cabin. Their son William was only two years old at the time. Leaving his son with his parents, Isum enlisted in "d" company 80th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Aug 9th,1862. Mustered out June 22,1865 at Salisbury N.C. Shortly after returning home he again faced sadness with the loss of his son William. August 1865 he was married to Elizebeth CHATTIN and unto this union was born two sons Edmund and Zeno. May 26 1870 Elizabeth died from pnuemonia. December 25th 1870 he was married to Louisa MOSIER, and to this union seven children were born. Isum GWIN was one of Martin county's best known soldiers, spending 60 years in Martin county as a devout member of the church,remaining faithfull until death. Isum died April 4th 1907. Buried in South Martin Cemetery, The Rev W.A. Schell held the service.
Source: Kenny Gwin kennygw@webtv.net


HAMPTON, James W., “the Martin County Poet”

 James W. Hampton was born in Kentucky around 1835. He was the son of Enoch HAMPTON and Lucretia DUNCAN, who were married in Clark County, Kentucky on 6 April 1831. The parents of both Enoch Hampton and Lucretia Duncan are unknown. James W. had a sister, America Ann Hampton, born about 1833 in Kentucky, and a brother, Zachariah T. Hampton, born in Martin County, Indiana around 1848. The Hampton family left Kentucky around 1837, settling first in Lawrence County, Indiana, where Lucretia was involved in the establishment of the First Baptist Church in Bedford, then moving to Martin County around 1846. James W. Hampton’s parents divorced in 1853. Lucretia alleged that Enoch had taken to drinking about three years earlier and had ceased to support, and finally abandoned, his family. Enoch, a blacksmith, spent some time in the Martin County Poor Asylum in 1867 and 1868. James W. Hampton’s mother died in 1856 and his father died of typhus in December of 1869.

 James W. Hampton married Catharine WALLACE on 3 September 1857. Their children were Francis Logan Hampton, born about 1859 (married Nancy FOSTER, 2 December 1880, Martin County, Indiana), Sarah E. Hampton, born about 1863 (married Patrick CLEMENTS, 5 December 1884), Mary M. Hampton, born about 1867 (married first Edward FRANKLIN, 8 August 1888, married second James M. HOLSAPPLE, 28 Jun 1891), Malissa J. Hampton, born November 1869 (married Dock FRANKLIN 8 Aug 1888) Elias Oscar Hampton, born 31 March 1875, Zachariah T. Hampton, born about 1878 (married Rose Belle JONES), and John Hancock Hampton, born 27 Aug 1880.

 James W. Hampton was a farm laborer, who apparently never owned any land. On the 1870 census his household is between that of Erwin J. MOBERLY and James Cannon. He probably lived on one farm or the other and may have worked on one or both. Around 1871 or 1872, James apparently had an affair with Sarah CALVIN, wife or widow of Erwin J. MOBERLY (died 1872), which resulted in the birth of a son, Charles Joseph MOBERLY (MOBLEY). (It is possible, but less likely on account of the difference in age and the fact that he was recently married, that James’s younger brother, Zachariah, was the father). Sarah CALVIN was the daughter of Jonathan Dilley CALVIN and Mary GRIGGS. She died in August 1876 and someone kept Charles Joseph for a little over a year, then he was put in Saint Vincent’s Male Orphan’s Asylum in Vincennes, Indiana, where he remained until he was “bound out” in 1886 to a farmer named John Judge, who lived in Perry County, Indiana. Sarah’s older, and presumably legitimate children, were taken in by relatives and neighbors.

 On 7 May 1895, a James W. Hampton obtained a marriage license to marry a Sarah J. HAZELET, but no marriage took place. This may have been James W. Hampton, the poet, or it may have been his nephew, James W. Hampton, who usually went by the name of William Hampton, but who appears as James W. Hampton on the record of his marriage to Hattie Scott on 20 July 1896. Less than three months later, on 24 July 1895, James married Permelia D. (ROWLAND) MURRAY, daughter of William ROWLAND and Sarah CHAPMAN. They divorced soon after, and on 4 August 1897, James W. Hampton married Alvira J. (ALEXANDER) COX, daughter of William ALEXANDER and Rachel B. MCCLELLAND, in Daviess County. That marriage also ended in divorce.

 James W. Hampton was well known throughout Martin, Lawrence, and Daviess counties for his poems, which were apparently of a local nature. Newspaper articles of the period refer to him as “the Martin County Poet” and “Poet Laureate of Martin County”. The Bedford Democrat newspaper published a book of his poems around 1900. James W. Hampton died on 25 May 1910 at the age of 75 while visiting friends in Mitchell, Lawrence County, Indiana. He was buried at West Union Cemetery in Martin County, Indiana.

 If anyone has any further information on James W. Hampton and his poetry, or on the identity of his paternal or maternal grandparents, please contact me.

 Submitted by: Carol Anne Lucian

 


LEDGERWOOD, John

John Ledgerwood Emigrated to Virginia from Scotland before the Revolutionary War. His son, also named John, was the father of 12 children, one of whom was Nathaniel, a veteran of the War of 1812, and who arrived in McCameron Township from Tennessee in 1829. Nathaniel and his wife, Margaret HAYES LEDGERWOOD, had 10 children: William, David, Charles, George, Jacob, Nathaniel II, Joseph, Margaret, Barbara, and Rebecca. Nathanile II married Sarah (Sally) HOLT, daughter of Henry H. and Catherine (GREY) HOLT of Sequatchie Valley, Tennessee. Source: History of Martin County by Harry Q. Holt


LEDGERWOOD, Nathaniel

Nathaniel Ledgerwood was born ca 1817 in Green County, Tennessee. He was the son of Samuel and Sarah Pearce LEDGERWOOD and was a nephew of Nathaniel LEDGERWOOD of McCameron Township. He was married to Lizannah MATHIS. In 1852, they migrated from Dubois County to Rutherford Township. Nathaniel and Sarah had 15 children: Nancy WORKMAN, Sarah (died at 15), Mary C. INMAN, Samuel Polk, Durura, Rebecca McCONN, Martha CHATTIN, Reuben, John, William S., Caroline WAGGONER, Ellis N., Basil, Hugh, and Lillie McBRIDE. When Nathaniel died in 1879, Ellis N. became owner of the majority of his father's land. Ellis N. died in 1879; his sons Frank, Jacob, and Ray worded the land until their mother, Susan M. ALLEN, died in 1943. Source: History of Martin County, Indiana by Harry Q. Holt.


McDONALD, William H.

William H. McDonald was born 30 June 1848 in Burns City, Martin County. On 9 September 1869, he married Amanda Caroline HOLSAPPLE (born 6 February 1848 in Washington County, IN). He spent all his life in Martin County, except during his service in the Civil War. He served as a private in company C, 146th regiment of Indiana Volunteers. Their children were Charles G. (b. 1875), Harley D. (b. 1880), Lucienne E. (b. 1883) and Joannah Cicaty (b. 1870).William's parents were John MCDONALD and Mary Anne NUGENT. Amanda's parents were William H. HOLSAPPLE and Permelia J. CUNDIFF. William died on 16 January, 1932, and was buried at Hickory Ridge Cemetery near Shoals. Amanda died on 29 January 1916 in Linton, IN. Source: Lynda Smith Research


McDONALD, John

John McDonald was born 24 March 1812 in North Carolina. On 18 November 1836, he married Mary Anne NUGENT (b. 17 March 1823 in Nelson, KY) in Lawrence Co. IN. They had eight children. William Henry.(b. 30 June 1848), Nancy (b. 19 June 1853), Mary, Alfred, Sarah, William, and Richard. John was a physician. His parents were James Alexander McDonald and Joannah Cicaty. John died on 29 April 1879 in Martin Co. Mary Anne died on 29 April 1875. Source: Lynda Smith Research


McGUYER, Thomas: 

Thomas McGuyer was born c. 1803 in Ohio. On 24 November 1825, he married Rebecca BOWAN (b. ca. 1811 in Ohio) in Guernsey Co. Ohio. They had at least seven children. Mary E., Sarah, Lydia, Naomi, Thomas F., Rebecca and Ester. Thomas was a farmer. He died on 12 (13?) September 1870 in Trinity Springs, and was buried in West Union Cemetery. Rebecca died on 7 September 1884 and is also buried in West Union Cemetery. Source: Lynda Smith Research


MARICLE, Abram:

Abram Maricle settled in Daviess County (that part that is now Martin County), Indiana about 1811 or 1812. He first lived near the falls of White River on the west side of the river. Three years afterwards he removed to the forks of the old Hindostan and Mt. Pleasant roads on the Vincennes and Louisville road, 4 miles east of Mt. Pleasant and lived there for some ten years and then moved to a place one mile west on the same road at which place he resided until he died 25 years since. His wife was Dicy WATSON from North Carolina. Their only child was a daughter, Nancy. She first married Matthew [sic} (Mathias) SHOLTZ by whom she had 3 children: Charlotte, Abraham and Fred K. SHOLTS. Charlotte married Benjamin F. MEARS and lives near Washington, Indiana. Abraham died at the age of 3 years. Fred K. SHOLTS resides on the place on which his grandfather died. Matthias SHOLTZ died 35 years ago in the south. His widow, Nancy, afterwards married Robert SMITH and by him bore two children. Robert SMITH died 9 years ago. Nancy (MARICLE) SHOLTS SMITH, his widow now lives near the farm where her father died. Abram MARICLE was of German descent and Dicy, his wife, was of English descent. They both died in Martin County." From a typewritten page entitled SETTLERS IN MARTIN COUNTY PRIOR TO 1826 - date unknown - notation at bottom states, "The above is from the recollection of Nancy SMITH." (Nancy MARICLE, dau. of Abram MARICLE was wife of Matthias SHOLTS. She divorced him in 1828 and married second to Robert SMITH.) Source: Bill DeCoursey


OPPELT, Edwin A.

Edwin A. Oppelt was born in Tuscarawas County, OH on 25 February 26, 1820. His father was Charles OPPELT, a native of Canada who settled in PA. His mother was Sybilla BELLING. He was the eldest of 11 children. He married Mary J. McKINEY in Venange County, PA on 14 May, 1850. McKINEY was born in Center Co. PA on 12 January 1822. OPPELT learned gun-smithing and also taught school. When he was 22 he began the study of medicine. In 1869, Dr. OPPELT first located in Loogootee. His children were: Rachel A.G., Louisa A. and Frances I. Source: Footprints Vol. X, July 1997, Issue 3


PORTER, Abraham W.

Abraham W. Porter was born 23 June 1835 in Carroll County, Ohio. He married Mary L. BARNES on 7 August 1859 in OH. Mary was a native of Barnesville, OH. Abraham PORTER was the son of Nathan PORTER and Susan NOFSKER of OH. He and his wife Mary moved to Martin County in 1866 and settled at Dover Hill. They had the following children: Rev. John W., Isaac M., James E., Charles A., Walter, Elvina E., Estella, and another child that died in infancy. Dr. PORTER taught school until 1868, when he began the practice of medicine. He was one of Martin County's leading physicians and surgeons. In 1894 Dr. PORTER was elected to the state legistature. Source: Footprints, Vol. X July 1997, Issue 3.


PORTER, George

George Portere was born 7 June 1837 in Tuscarawas County, OH. On 24 December 1857 he married Mary E. McGUYER (b. 1832 in OH) Their children were Thomas J., Rebecca, Ince May, McGuire, Elvina R. Mary died on 15 August 1896 (1898?) and was buried in Trinity Springs. George's second wife was Almyra E. George's parents were Silas PORTER and Katharine MITCHELL both of OH. Mary's parents were Thomas MCGUYER and Rebecca BOWAN. George died in 1914 and is buried in Trinity Springs' Little Hickory Cemetery. Source: Lynda Smith Research


PORTER, Silas

Silas Porter was born 1814 in OH. On 5 May 1833 he married Katharine MITCHELL in OH. Their children were: Levi (b. 1831) John, George (b. 7 June 1837), Hester (b. 1839), Sally (b. 1844), Susie (b. 1847?), Ira (b. 1848), and Silas. Katharine's parents are unknown. Silas's father was Levi PORTER (b. MD) Silas died and was buried close to Trinity Springs. Source: Lynda Smith Research


SANDERS, James

James Sanders was born Sept.8,1829 in New Port,Ohio. Married Elizabeth DENNING and moved his three children at the time to Trinty Springs,Indiana around 1853/54. Shortly after settling into their new home, death claimed their youngest child James Jr.at age 1yr.7mo. Six more children would be born to James Sr. before death once again would strike, claiming the oldest child Margaret Ellen Sept.20,1877. Then sadness struck once again when death claimed the mothers life at age 53yrs. on June13,1880 when her youngest child Alphretta was 13yrs. old. All of the children lived and grew up and married in Martin Co. James Sr. was 84 yrs old when he died in Trinity Springs on Jan,1913. His 2nd oldest daughter died six months later. The names of his children, birthdates and spouses are as follows: Margaret b.2/8/1849 mar.Alexander Clark 5/7/1871 d.9/20/1877- Prudence b.8/1/1850 mar.Matthias Hamilton 11/4/1866 d.6/13/1913- Benjamin b.2/28/1852 mar.Indiana Fleming 4/23/1873 d.3/2/1914 James Jr.b.1/14/1854 d.8/6/1855 Henry b2/1/1856 mar.Mary Sanders 8/5/1883 d.3/29/1938 - Josephus b.3/18/1858 mar. Mary E.Wildman 2/4/1877 d.1/4/1928 - Adaline b.6/23/1860 mar.James Wildman 12/29/1876 d.7/21/1922- Florence b.11/29/1862 mar.Thomas England 2/1/1883 d.11/15/1904- Jasper b.7/26/1864 mar.Fanny Hamond 5/15/1904 d.5/21/1948- Alphretta b.8/7/1866 mar.William Holtz 11/12/1883
Submitted by Karen Sanders Elder
information: Indiana State Library Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints


John Schooley

John Schooley was born 1818 in Ohio. Married Eliza Jane Howell in Tuscarawas County Ohio June 2, 1842. In 1870 John was a farmer in Baker Township, Martin County, IN. He had four sons, Isaac, David, George and Jonas. In 1880 he moved to Center Township, Martin County, IN. He was a Blacksmith there. Submitted by Clarence Schooley


SHOLTZ, Jacob

Jacob Sholtz and Charlotte his wife settled in Martin county about 1811 or 1812 at old Hindostan or rather at the falls of the east fork of White River, Martin county (then Daviess Co.), Indiana where the town of Hindostan was afterwards built. They came from Germany. Their five children were named Frederick, Matthias, John, Jacob and one daughter whose name is not known. Frederick died at Memphis with cholera 40 years ago. Matthias died in the lower country 35 years ago. John at last account lived at Reading, Pa. He never lived in this county. Jacob married Polly DEMOSS and died in this county some few years after (rather mysteriously) leaving his widow and 4 children. It is supposed he was murdered as he was found dead lying in the woods between Mt. Pleasant and his home." - From a typewritten page entitled SETTLERS IN MARTIN COUNTY PRIOR TO 1826 - date unknown - notation at bottom states, "The above is from the recollection of Nancy SMITH." (Nancy SMITH was wife of Matthias SHOLTS. She divorced him in 1828 and married second to Robert SMITH.) Source: Bill DeCoursey


SHOLTS, Matthias

Matthias Sholts, son of Jacob and Charlotte SHOLTS, married about 1817 to Nancy MARICLE, daughter of Abram and Dicy (WATSON) MARICLE. They had children: Charlotte SHOLTS, born 10 Jan. 1819, married 27 Aug. 1834 Benjamin F. MEARS; Abraham SHOLTS died at age 3; and Frederick K. SHOLTS, b.1822, married Elizabeth DONALDSON. The first divorce suit of a county-wide interest was filed in Martin County, Indiana on, 30 July 1828, by Nancy (MARICLE) SHOLTS against Mathias SHOLTS. Source: Bill DeCoursey


SILVERS, Commodore

Commodore Silvers was born 15 January 1873 in Martin County. On 11 October 1905 (1904?) he married Grace DENSON (b. 26 March 1872 in Martin County). Commodore and Grace had two sons - Maurice Donald (b. 4 November 1906) and Fred. Commodore was postmaster at Trinity Springs for 29 years. Commodore's parents were James Wesley SILVERS and Mary Jane HOLLOWAY, both of Kentucky. Grace's parents were Levi DENSON and Hannah FAUCETT. Commodore died on 1 July 1947 in Trinity Springs. Grace died on 16 June 1965 in Toledo, OH, but is buried in Old Cemetery in Trinity Springs. Source: Lynda Smith Research


SILVERS, James Wesley

James Wesley Silvers was born 8 May 1846 in Pulaski County, KY. On 5 March, 1869 he married Mary Jane HOLLOWAY (b. 13 August 1843 in KY) in Scott Co. TN. James Wesley and Mary Jane had three children who survived - Commodore (b. Jan. 1873), Charles (b. Jan 1881) and Candice. Mary Jane had three children by two previous marriages. James Wesley was a private in the 49th Regiment of the Kentucky Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He loved dogs and all animals, especially horses. It was a very common sight to see him driving his wagon with his coat wrapped around his dogs - Spike and Watch. He suffered in his later years from an eye disease that left him almost totally blind. He owned two beautiful while horses - Boxer and Bill. They pulled the black hearse at his funeral. James Wesley's parents were Martin SILVERS and Nancy LEWIS both of KY. Mary Jane's parents were Thomas HOLLOWAY (b. TN)and Anna WARMON (b. KY). James Wesley died on 22 September 1913. Mary Jane died on 16 April 1920. Both are buried in the Old Trinity Cemetery. Source: Lynda Smith Research


STRANGE, Charles

Charles STRANGE was a prominent farmer who served three terms as Trustee of Brown Township in Martin County, never having been defeated for public office and being the only democrat to be elected of that township over a period of 35 years. He knew personally and was respected by every family residing in his township. He was also a trustee of St. Joseph's Church for many years. Charles STRANGE married Martha LENTS of Loogootee and was the father of seven sons: James T., who owned and operated a general store at Bramble for 40 years; Dr. J.W. STRANGE (now deceased), a physician in Loogootee for 47 years, the Indiana doctor for the year of 1950, and at one time mayor of Loogootee; Eugene, presently and for the past seven years the Director of the Martin County Department of Public Welfare; Matthew, who resides on a farm on State Road 45 North of Loogootee; Earl of St. Petersburg, Florida; Charles, a grocer in Loogootee, and Roscoe (deceased). The four daughters of Charles STRANGE are as follows: Mrs. Armilda O'MALLEY of Loogootee; Mrs. Emma JONES of Bramble; Mrs. Mary ARMSTRONG of La Jolla, California; Mrs. Pearl BRUNSON of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Source: 1953 Loogootee, Indiana Centennial, Submitted by Elizabeth Hopkins


STRANGE, William A.

William A. Strange was born near the Lincoln homestead in Hardin County, KY in 1809 ---the same county and in the same year as was Abraham LINCOLN. It cannot be definitely established but it has been carried down as a legend in the family that his mother was in the Lincoln home when Abraham LINCOLN was born. (Note: the STRANGEs were neighbors of the Lincolns in KY and were involved in several lawsuits with Thomas LINCOLN) Mr. STRANGE, accompanied by three brothers, James, Joseph and Ignatius, and two sisters, Nancy and Polly (Strange) PADGETT, emigrated to Martin County in the year 1827, entering several hundred acres of land from the Government about one mile north of the present St. Joseph's church in old Brown Twnshp. Such date preceeded the founding of Loogootee by a quarter of a century, with the newly established Mt. Pleasant being the nearest trading point. A portion of the original purchase still resides in the family, being owned and occupied by Pershing Jones, a great- grandson of the original owner. When William arrived in Martin County, he found it to be for the most part a wilderness, with wolves, wildcats, deer and wild turkeys in abundance and Indians still scarecly more than a hundred miles away. Fish were so plentiful that a "catch" could often be made by simply raking a bundle of brush through "pot holes" in the creek. Fishing with a hand pole was William's favorite pastime and he continued to engage in it until shortly before his death at age 85. A personal trait that is recalled of him is that he never wore a hat, winter or summer, a habit that is as uncommon then as it is common today. A three week diversion in the early spring from the routine of farm work was the making of maple sugar syrup and sugar in the old sugar camp on the "Gramm Place", on Boogs Creek near the Swayze Mill, in central Brown Township. This camp was owned and operated for many years by Wm. A. STRANGE and two of his sons, James W and Charles and their sons. William A. STRANGE married Nellie MILES (note: also appears in records as Ellen and Mary Ellen) of the old Miles settlement three miles east of the present location of Bramble. They were the parents of five sons: James Washington, Jefferson, Joseph, Valentine and Charles, and a daughter, Mrs. Mary CARRICO, all of whom are now deceased. The eldest son, James Washington STRANGE had three sons, Charles J. (deceased), Leo (deceased) and Gusta of Sullivan, IN and one daughter, Mrs. Mary HOPKINS, wife of John HOPKINS ( both deceased). Son Jefferson STRANGE was a soldier during the Civil War, dying of typhoid fever in Sherman's march to the sea, being buried in Georgia, leaving one son, William Jefferson STRANGE (deceased), a former Martin County Asessor and late of Burns City, IN. Son Jospeph STRANGE also participated in Sherman's march through Georgia in the Civil War and was mustered out, but died there of typhoid fever and was buried in Arlington National Cemetary. He was unmarried. Son Valentine STRANGE was likewise a veteran of the War between the States, taking part in the battle of Perryville, KY. Valentine was the father of four sons: Joseph (deceased), formerly of Evansville; Elard of Washington; Louis, who is the present Assessor of Martin County and Harry of Loogootee and five daughters: three of whom are now deceased, Anna, Grace and Mrs. Mary CARRICO. Two daughters, Mrs. Ada TOON of Loogootee and Mrs. Ella WILLIAMS of Bramble, survive. Mrs. Mary CARRICO was the mother of one son, Alphonsus L. CARRICO, a veteran of the Spanish-American War and an attorney, who practiced law in Shoals and later in Oklahoma City, where he died several years ago.
Source: 1953 Loogootee, Indiana Centennial, Submitted by Elizabeth Hopkins


STRINGHAM, Stephen Peter

Stephen Peter Stringham wasorn: September 26, 1790 in New York State Died: November 13, 1865 in Cass County, Iowa Married: Catherine TROVER, June 25, 1817. Catherine was born in the year 1794 in Pennsylvania. He was the Justice of the Peace in Martin County from January 26, 1822 through March 17, 1827. Son Leonard Peter Stringham was born in Martin County, Indiana on September 25, 1818. Source: Jean Pickett


Hastings, Arthur D. 

Photo

 Arthur D. Hastings was born in Indiana, April 25, 1826. He was the son of Arthur D. Hastings 
Sr. and Mary "Polly" White. He married Mary "Polly" Cambron (McCameron) on September 10,  1846 in Lawrence Co. IN. She was born in Indiana, December of 1830. Polly was the daughter of Edward Cambron (McCameron) and Elizabeth "Betsy" Beasley. Polly died May 15, 1906 and Arthur died Sept. 15, 1906 and both are buried in the Mt. Olive Cemetery in Lawrence County, IN. The cemetery is located just across the Martin - Lawrence Co. line in Spice Valley Township.  Mr. Hastings was a farmer having acquired a nice section of land in the Mitcheltree Township. He was also a highly respected school teacher in the Mt. Olive and Willliams area. His most noted accomplishment was a Captain in the Union Army, Company F, 65th Infantry, Indiana Volunteers.

 On the 18th day of August in 1862 under the massive branches of an old elm tree at Trinity Springs, Indiana, ninety-nine men were accepted into the Union Army under Captain A. D.  Hastings' command. Hastings served until his discharge with Capt. Abner R. Brown, of Shoals, taking over Co. F. After the war, the surviving soldiers would gather every August for a reunion under the Mustering Elm. The last one, their Golden Reunion, was held August 5, 1912 with only two veterans remaining.

 In 1870, Arthur D. Hastings along with Lewis R. Williams platted village of Mt. Olive, Indiana in Martin County. A train depot and Post Office was located there. The post office ceased to exist in 1916.  

Mr. and Mrs. Hastings with no children of their own did assume guardianship of Elizabeth Jane Hinshaw, after the death of her parents. Elizabeth was a relative on Hastings maternal side of the family. Later the Hastings took in Jesse A. Stroud, a nephew of Polly.

The following writings are taken from a school journal kept by Arthur D. Hastings.

This February the 15th 1861, quite blustery with snow, wind, and mud. Eight more days teaching and my school will be out for this term. 

Great excitement among the people concerning government affairs; Lincoln takes his seat March 4th at which time there is expected a great multitude to assemble at the city of Washington. Old Abe will then be inaugurated into his office to perform the duties of the highest office in the United States. He will then make known his mode of Administration which the people have so ardently desired to see, both the South and the North. As to my own convictions, I entertain no fears but Old Abe will discharge his duties faithfully though it may be to the displeasure of the South but I hope it be gratifying & commendable to the entire satisfaction of the North. What his administration will bring about is hard to tell. We must live in hope if we die in despair.

- A.D.H. thoughts

This February the 18th 1861, six more days and my school will then be out at which time I shall feel quite relieved from my daily avocation for some considerable time.

 School teaching is an honorable profession, but perhaps not as thankful a one as some others. Great responsibility is resting upon the teacher, his customs, manners, & habits are spread out before his pupils. They imbibe him to a considerable extent as well as his tuition. It is his duty to instill to the young mind, truth, morality, manners, punctuality, neatness, respect to old persons, & love to the books & studies. Admonish to love & respect one another in time of school and out of school. In order to do this he should give them his own example, by talking pleasantly and respectfully to every scholar & if the rod is resorted to, show by its use, that it is intended to the scholar & not to gratify the passions of yourself. Immediately show kindship to the punished, treat them with the same respect that you treat all others. In this way, they will soon see your design in chastisement. If there can be any improvement made you will soon see.


- thoughts of A. D. Hastings

As Published in Footprints of Martin County 2007
Courtesy of Cathy Clark Beard


Freeman, Dr. George M. 
1865 -1946

Ending a long and useful life, Dr. George M. Freeman, Martin County's oldest doctor, passed away at the Daviess County Hospital in Washington at 5:20 a. m. Friday, December 20, 1946. Dr. Freeman had been failing in health for several years and had been seriously ill since November 11. He had been a patient in the Daviess County Hospital for four weeks, where everything possible was done to make him comfortable. It seems particularly pathetic that when he, who had given a lifetime to easing the pain and discomfort of others, needed help, there was nothing to alleviate his suffering.

 Dr. Freeman was born in Martin County, Indiana in 1865, and lacking a true knowledge of his birth date, he chose November 30. He was the son of James and Mary (Norman) Freeman, both of whom passed away when the doctor was six years old, leaving a family of four small children, with no near relatives. The children were taken to the County farm where they remained for four days when they were taken to the home of a distant relative in Newberry, Indiana, to spend Christmas. That Christmas was the earliest recollection of the Doctor's life, and it was always a pleasant memory for him. A short time later, he was brought to the home of Richard Dye, trustee of Center Township in Martin County. He remained here and worked for his board and keep until he was fifteen or sixteen years of age.

 He had been given very little schooling up until this time. He had a great desire to go to school so he ran away from the home of his foster parents and went to work for Reuben McBride, where he could attend school at Dover Hill. He studied early and late, and at the end of two years he passed the examination for a teacher's license.

Coming to Shoals, he found a home in the old Baker House, which was owned and operated by Mrs. James Baker. Mrs. Baker's motherly heart was touched by the pathetic young man and she gave him a good home and encouraged him in every way she could. For three winters he taught in the country schools and worked at the hotel. He met trains to carry the drummer's bags, washed dishes, chopped wood, or anything that needed to be done around the hotel. At night, he read medicine with Dr. George Walls and had access to all of the doctor books in the office. At the end of three years, he had saved enough money to go to the Louisville School of Medicine, at Louisville, Kentucky. He graduated from that school as an M. D. in 1890. He came back to Martin County where he established an office in Lost River Township and practiced there one year.

 In 1891 he came to Shoals and has spent the past fifty-six years ministering to the people of the county. In those days there were few roads and practically all the country calls were made on horseback with his medicine carried in the saddle bags. He has lived through many stages in the life of a country doctor, has traveled in every type of conveyance, buckboard, sleigh, buggy, and had the first automobile in Shoals. He estimated that he had brought about 2,000 babies into this world, and had doctored three generations in the same family. He was considered to be one of the best diagnosticians of his day, and his patients relied on his judgment to an unbelievable degree.

On March 31, 1922, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Emma (Williams) Hughes, who was his devoted nurse until the end. Also surviving, is one daughter, Mrs. Mara Peek, five grandsons, all of Shoals, and two step-daughters, Mrs. Herman Daugherty, of Robison, Illinois, and Mrs. Dan (Olive) Albaugh of So. Center Township.

 Dr. Freeman was a very civic minded citizen, having served as Secretary of the School Board, Secretary of the Board of Health, and Secretary of the Martin-Daviess County Medical Association. He was a member of the first pension board in Martin County, serving as medical examiner for the Draft Board in both World Wars. He was elected County Coroner four times and a member of the Methodist Church.

Dr. Freeman could well say, with the Apostle of old, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course....henceforth, there is laid up for me a crown, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give."

 Funeral services were conducted at the Queen Funeral Home at two o'clock Sunday afternoon, December 22, 1 946, with the Rev. S. E. Stroud, pastor of the Methodist Church in charge.

 Pallbearers were Ray Tredway, Roy Crim, Oscar Shipman, Ora Terry, Allen Ross, and H. P.

Piatt. Flower bearers were Doris Kunkle, Betty Jean Day, Jewel Dickey, and LaVonne Crim.

 Interment was made in the Spring Hill Cemetery.

 The article above was taken from the December 1946 issue of The Shoals News.

 [Footprints, Vol #20, Issue #4, Oct. Nov. Dec. 2007]
Courtesy of Cathy Clark Beard


One of Martin County’s Best Citizens and Teachers

Nellie Mae Clifton Allbright

Photo

Nellie Mae Clifton was born May 31, 1902, on a farm a few miles from Shoals, along the east fork of White River. The farm had been homesteaded by her maternal grandparents, John and Mary Ann (Bennefield) Asbell. John and Mary were married on February 28, 1850, in Clay Co. Illinois. Three children were born to them before the start of the Civil War. John served in the Union Army four years before returning home and having three more children added to their family. Their youngest child, Katie, Nellie’s mother, was born July 16, 1871. The Asbells farmed the same land their entire life.

Nellie's paternal grandparents, William B. and Mary J. (Earl) Clifton, were married July 29, 1869 at Jackson County, Indiana. They moved to a farm near Shoals in 1876 and raised their sons John A., James T., Charles W., George A., and Ealum. William also served in the Civil War enlisting in Co. K 39th IN Vol. He served two years and nine months having been wounded and captured on the Kilpatrick Raid near Atlanta, Georgia. He was imprisoned at Andersonville. He lost an arm as the result of the wound he suffered in the raid at Atlanta.

 Katie Asbell married Charles William Clifton in February 1895. Katie and Charles eventually acquired Katie's parent's old home place and started raising their family. Their children were Roscoe, Mary Lou, Alice Amanda, Nellie Mae, Roy, and Lawrence Frank. This is the home where Nellie Mae was born.

 Nellie Clifton began her education at the Asbell School about one-half mile from her home. It was a one-room school house, heated with wood and coal. Her first teacher was Miss Eunice Gerkin. She also remembers a Mr. Ham, Mr. Steele, Elizabeth Qualkenbush, Frank Nichols, and Tony Asbell, who was her mother's cousin.

 Nellie was about was about ten years old when she began contemplating her education past the eighth grade. The Superintendent, Charles O. Williams, visited the school one day and while there, told the students that anybody who wanted to, could get an education. Nellie thought "that anybody" meant her! From that moment on she devoted all of her attention toward school studies.

 Nellie attended the Shoals High School and graduated in the spring of 1921 at 19 years old. She attended summer school for 18 weeks at Central Normal College at Danville. When she returned home in the fall, the Trustee gave her a teaching position at Johnson School.

 Nellie decided if she was to be a teacher, she was going to be a good one. When she first started teaching, the children only had one small book from which to learn. Without workbooks, the only source was her creativity and the blackboard. She remembered writing the lessons on the blackboard and the students would start antics behind her. Nellie came up with an idea to position a wide mirror on the board above her. That way she could watch the youngsters and see who was pulling the pranks.

 She worked on the school house to make it bright and cheerful for the pupils. She recalled having a man install an old fashioned lavatory so they could have warm water to wash their hands. To have this luxury really brightened the children's day!

 The community would raise money from socials and pie suppers to help the school and the students. Nellie remembered the first purchase was a large dictionary, and another time they purchased gravel to spread around the schoolhouse.

 There was a lot of entertainment at school during Christmas time. They would collect sheets and make a stage for the students to put on their programs. People came from all around for the occasion and enjoyed it tremendously. She recalled one Christmas when she bought a bushel basket of peanuts, a bushel or two of apples, and a lot of candy which were really treats back then. She stated," if you didn't treat the children, you might as well lock the doors and quit."

 Nellie retired in 1962 and was looking forward to receiving her pension. Then a teacher in the Shoals school system quit right before the start of the new school year. When Mr. Glen Keefe, the superintendent, asked Nellie to stay on, she put her pension aside temporarily and returned to her chosen profession another eight years, finally retiring in 1973, at age 71. That made a combined total of 40 years.

 She had a rural license, agriculture license, home economics license, and the rural license which covered all eight grades. She also had primary, intermediate, and junior high licenses. The schools she taught in Martin County were; Asbell, Johnson, Weisbach, Sugar Grove, McBride, Red School, and the consolidated Shoals Community School Corporation. She also taught four years at Paoli, Indiana.

 Nellie M. Clifton married Virgil Allbright on November 28, 1928. Virgil was the son of John F. and Ada F. (Waggoner) Allbright. Virgil Allbright, worked as a trackman on the railroad. He passed away in 1977 after an illness of thirteen years. Nellie and Virgil were the parents of one child, a daughter, Ruth "Alyne" Sorrells. Alyne taught school for a while and was an attendance officer for seven years. Alyne is married to Harold Sorrells, son of Lee J. and Marguerite (Bledsoe) Sorrells. Harold and Alyne have four daughters; Lani, Charlotte, Katie, Sue Ellen, and a son, David. Lani (Sorrells) Kelsey carried on in her grandmother's footsteps as a teacher in the Shoals Community School system for many years. Lani has since retired.

 Nellie joined the Shoals Senior Citizens soon after it was formed in 1974. She became a board member and a volunteer. She attended all of the area meetings and taught health classes, home economics, crocheting, and just about anything else that would turn up.

 In 1983, Nellie was crowned the Martin County Senior Citizens Queen Area 13-A. She also represented the area at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, along with ten other contestants. It was an unforgettable summer.

 Yes, Martin County, has produced many wonderful teachers through the years, with Nellie being at the top of the list. Many of Nellie's students, who are now well into their years, still have many fond memories of her. Most rate her as their number one all time favorite. She was a wonderful person and a delight to know.

 This meaningful life all began in the person of a little girl, Nellie Mae Clifton, born on a farm five miles from Shoals, along White River.

 Nellie passed away at age 90 on October 17, 1992, at Lawrence County, Indiana.

 Editor's note: Some of this article was taken from an interview of Nellie Allbright with reporter, Patricia O'Connor, at the Tri-County News at Washington, Indiana, dated April 25, 1985.

Published in Footprints of Martin County 2007
Courtesy of Cathy Clark Beard


THOMAS NESBE GOOTEE
1797-1870

Founder of Loogootee, Martin County's only city

 Thomas Nesbe Gootee was born February 14, 1797, in Maryland, to Joseph Whelan Gootee Jr. and Sarah A. Bramble. The Gootees' moved to Ohio and then on to Kentucky. Thomas married Nancy Silvers b. ~ 1798 on September 24, 1816 at Washington Co. KY. She was the daughter of John and Nancy (Springer) Silvers.

 Thomas and Nancy Gootee were among the earliest pioneers at present site of Loogootee. They homesteaded there and purchased land on February 3, 1818. He added to his original purchase and acquired total of 600 acres. He donated the right-of- way for the coming railroad. The railroad contract was not awarded until January of 1851, but Thomas platted the village on April 4, 1853, one year before the actual railroad work began. A post office was established July 6, 1857, with Thomas M. Gibson as postmaster. The Ohio and Mississippi Railroad was completed in 1857. Leaders at Mount Pleasant recognized the railroad would offer shipping and commercial

advantages. Residences which had been moved from Hindostan after the plague, to Mt. Pleasant were once again relocated to Loogootee. Over the next several years there were five extensions added to the original plat. In 1857 Thomas sold lots # 64 and # 65 to the Reverend St. Palais of Vincennes for $1.00. These lots are where St. John's Center is located today.

 Thomas Gootee held many offices of trust and responsibility, such as: road supervisor, 1820; justice of peace, 1833; county clerk, 1840; associate judge, 1842; delegate to the convention which formed the present state constitution, 1850; and State Representative, 1855. Thomas Gootee died October 4, 1870 and is buried in the St. John's Cemetery in Loogootee.

 Thomas and Nancy had eleven children born to their union. They are as follows: Mary "Polly" b. 1819, Samuel W., b. 1821, John M., b. 1823, Sarah Ann, b.1825, Joseph D., b.1827, Elizabeth "Betz", b. 1833, Wineford , b. 1834, twins Nancy Jane and Thomas Jr., b. 1835, Charles M., b. 1836 and Margaret, b. ? Margaret died of severe burns at age four. Nancy Gootee died in 1850.

 Thomas married a widow, Lucinda Carrico Bertrand, in Martin County, Indiana on June 1, 1856. Lucinda, born ~1814 -1816, in KY, was the daughter of Vincent and Mary (Elder) Carrico. She brought five children into the marriage. There were two daughters; Josephine and Eliza E. and three sons; John J., Silas, and Charles A. The children's father, Joseph H. Bertrand, died in 1851 and is buried in the St. Rose Cemetery in Martin Co. IN. Thomas and Lucinda had a daughter of their own, Sabina A., b.1862 in Martin Co.

 This article was written from excerpts taken from Harry Q. Holt’s book: History of Martin County, Indiana, vol. II. Other information was taken from Martin County newspaper articles.


As Published in Footprints of Martin County 2007
Courtesy of Cathy Clark Beard





Back to Martin County Home Page           Submit a Biography