|This is an index of Martin County land patents issued
by the Bureau of Land Management General Land Office, consisting of about 3,100 entries. The earliest date
in their records is 4/20/1812, issued to General Washington Johnston for a portion of Section 32 of Center Township. Information on each patentee and
a copy of the original patent may be viewed on the General
site and downloaded free of charge. Certified
copies are also available. All spellings are as found in the General
Land Office files. Many original issues were Military Bounty Land
Warrants. Some were "returned", the land
re-assigned and the patent re-issued. All applicable names appear on
the patent copy. Viewing the patent image on the General Land
site is recommended for verification.
and boundaries have changed over the years. The map above and the
following index reflects townships as they existed at the time
these patents were issued. Because of the survey method used for the
state of Indiana, you will find some duplication of section numbers in
some townships, and some sections will be shared by two townships..