The Mexican–American War - 1846 to 1848 followed the annexation of Texas by the United States - which despite the Texas Revolution of 1836, Mexico still considered part of its territory.
"THE MONROE GUARDS"
(Company A, 3rd Regiment.)
Monroe County furnished two full companies for the Mexican War. Soon after the call for volunteers, in May, 1846, the militia of the county met at Bloomington for regimental or battalion muster. The excitement over the war was great, a call was made, and a full company was raised and ready by the 1st of June. The officers were: John M. Sluss, Captain; John Eller. First Lieutenant; Aquilla Rogers. Second Lieutenant. The company became A of the Third Regiment, which rendezvoused at New Albany, and left Bloomington on the 15th of June.
A beautiful flag was presented to the boys by the ladies of Bloomington, Miss Sarah Markle making the presentation speech. Company A was in the battle of Buena Vista, where four or five of the boys (Buskirk, Applegate, Stout and Holland) were killed and about five wounded. The company was mustered out at the end of the year
In 1847, three more regiments were called for from Indiana, and Daniel Lunderman began to raise a company. It was soon completed and became G of the Fourth Regiment. This company was tendered a public farewell by the citizens of Bloomington, who presented the boys with a national banner. The company was with Gen. Scott on his march from Vera Cruz to the Mexican capital, and participated in nearly all of the battles on that memorable and triumphant route. A number of the boys was killed and many more wounded, but their names cannot be given. The company returned at the end of one year. Several were left in honored graves in the land of the Montezumas.
Source: Counties of Morgan, Monroe & Brown, Historical & Biographical, Charles Blanchard, 1884 - Pages 413 & 414