-- Wabash College Album --m
Court Records Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
Thanks to Bill Boone for many of these nifty 'ol photos (and post cards)
Waugh Hall & an architectural
sketch of a building
Wabash College Chapel, above
Wabash College was founded on November 21, 1832. According to early records, the next day a group of the men chosen as trustees of the college knelt in the snow and conducted a dedication service. The college would be located in the frontier town of Crawfordsville, Indiana, with the resolve "that the institution be at first a classical and English high school, rising into a college as soon as the wants of the country demand."
Words by Edwin Meade Robinson, 1900
Music by Carroll Ragan, 1901
From the hills of Maine to the western plain, or where the cotton is blowing; From the gloomy shade of the northern pine, to the light of the southern seas; There's a name held dear and a color we cheer wherever we find it glowing; And the tears will rise to our longing eyes as it floats on the evening breeze.
When the day is done and the western sun is painting in flashing glory; Across the skies with gorgeous dyes the color we love so well; We love to sit as the shadows flit and praise it in song and story; We love to shout as the light dies out a good old Wabash yell.
Our prayers are always thine, our voices and hearts combine, To sing thy praise when future days shall bring thy name before us. When college days are past, as long as life shall last, Our greatest joy will be to shout the chorus.
Dear Old Wabash, thy loyal sons shall ever love thee, And o'er thy classic halls, the Scarlet flag shall proudly flash. Long in our hearts, we'll bear the sweetest mem'ries of thee, Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash!
The first faculty member of Wabash was Caleb Mills, a graduate of Dartmouth College and Andover Seminary, who arrived in 1833 and immediately established the character of the school. As noted by Byron Trippet, who was associated with Wabash College for forty years as student, teacher, dean, and president, "by his ideals, his vision, and his abundant energy [Caleb Mills] gave to this college a sense of mission, which it has occasionally neglected, but has never completely lost." Caleb Mills later became the father of the Indiana public school system and worked tirelessly to improve education in the entire Mississippi Valley. Each fall, Caleb Mills' bell is used to "ring in" the freshman class as students of Wabash College, and each spring the bell "rings out" that year's class of Wabash men as they move on to new challenges.
The 60-acre wooded campus contains 25 buildings predominantly of Georgian architecture. Caleb Mills taught the first class of Wabash students in 1833 in Forest Hall, located since 1965 at the north end of campus and now home to the Teacher Education Department. Built in 1836, Caleb Mills' House hosts various college functions. Also built in 1836, Hovey Cottage, home to the College's second faculty member Edmund O. Hovey, houses the Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion. The College dedicated the newly expanded and renovated Fine Arts Center in 1993. The Detchon Center for Modern Languages and International Studies, housed in an expanded and renovated campus landmark built in 1893, is a state-of-the-art facility. During the Campaign for Leadership, Wabash built Hays Hall, the $30 million home of the biology and chemistry departments; renovated Goodrich Hall, which is home to the mathematics and physics departments; built a $2 million Malcolm X Institute for Black Studies; and built the $20 million Allen Athletics and Recreation Center.
Wabash College has always been independent and non-sectarian, although its founders and Caleb Mills were Presbyterian ministers. The school was patterned after the conservative liberal arts colleges of New England, with their high standards. Caleb Mills declared the aims of the college to be learning, virtue, and service.
Source: Crawfordsville Daily Journal, June 18, 1908
Mr. and Mrs. William Hedge, Miss Julia Lane, Messrs. Karl Smith, Edgar and Herbert Bowers attended the Baldwin oratorical contest at Wabash College on Monday evening.
Pictures of Center Hall
The bottom picture is of the newer campus library, although it too looks quite different now. Lilly Library - adore the old cars
ARMORY & old GYM
Greek Play at Wabash College
This photo marked "Wills Johnson" at Wabash
Various views of campus (all thanks to my favorite photo contributor, Bill Boone :)
The website management appreciates all the contributions provided for use here.