USGenWeb Log Welcome to
Montgomery County, Indiana

INGenWeb Logo
Home
About Me!

Bible Records
Biographies
Cemeteries
Census
Court Records Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
History Letters
Military

News
Obituaries
Photographs
Resources

Reunions School





T. A. ADKINS

Source: H. W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana - (Chicago: HH Hill, 1881) p 400


T. A. ADKINS, merchant, New Ross, was born in Decatur county, Indiana, March 7, 1835. He is the son of Martin and Nancy (DRAKE) Adkins, the latter born in Kentucky, and the former in Tennessee. Martin Adkins was one of the most successful farmers and stock dealers in Indiana. He owned at his death some 1,200 or 1,400 acres of land and one of the finest farms and mansions between Indianapolis and the Ohio river. He was a prominent democrat, and was circuit judge of Decatur county for one term. His wife is still living at Colfax, Indiana. T. A. Adkins is a child of his father's second family, his parents having been twice married. He spent his youth on the farm till sixteen years old, when he was sent to school at Wilmington Academy, Dearborn county, Indiana, for two years, then to Archville graded school, and then spent two years in the scientific course at Franklin College. Leaving college, he engaged in the dry-goods and grocery business at Eminence, Morgan county, Indiana, where he remained three years. He was then in the livery business one year in Aurora. Since then he has done business at Franklin, Dover, Shannondale, etc., and in March, 1875, came to New Ross, Montgomery county, where he associated himself with his brother, B. F. Adkins, in general merchandising. Their store was built by B. F. Adkins, and is two stories high, 20 X 80. Here the firm of Adkins & Brother carry a stock of about $6,000, with sales of about $9,000 to $12,000. Their store-room is the largest in New Ross. In the Adkins family T. A. is the first republican, and all the children younger than he follow in his footsteps. He is secretary of the New Ross Union Agricultural Association, and a prominent man. He is a member of the Order of Freemasons and Odd-Fellows. Both he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church. He was married September 25, 1856, to Mary L. TAYLOR, daughter of George W. and Nancy J. ( MILBORN ) Taylor, of Aurora, Indiana. She was born in 1831, near Aurora. They have five children: Walker B., Benella R., Harriet L., Pearlie, and Guy.


The website management appreciates all the contributions provided for use here.



File Created: 15 July 2010

Boone County |  Clinton County |  Fountain County |
 Hendricks County |  Parke County |
 Putnam County |  Tippecanoe County

The INGenWeb Project, Copyright ©1997-2011, Montgomery County Website 
Copyright © 2007-2014 Karen Zach

Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information.

Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the copyright holder(s), for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information. © 2014 by Karen Zach, and licensed to the Indiana GenWeb (INGenWeb) Project and the USGenWeb Project. May be used in personal research with a citation.

This page created:   15 July 2010