Court Records Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
School & Family
Source: H. W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Chicago: HH Hill, 1881) p 499
Joseph Alexander, farmer, came from Ireland to America and settled in Pennsylvania, then moved to Butler county, Ohio, and in 1830 came to Montgomery county, Indiana, to live with his children who had preceded him. They were Joseph, Richard, Hartly and Mrs. Margaret Hanks. He died here. His son John Alexander emigrated in 1828 to Montgomery county, and entered 160 acres of land in Coal Creek township. He was born in Pennsylvania October 31, 1794, moved with his parents to Ohio. He was there married to Sarah Hatton, and came to Indiana bringing six children: Francis H., James H., William H., Louisa J., Frances M. and Elizabeth S. (twins). He built a log cabin, then the house that still stands, and otherwise improved his land. He was a whig and warm republican. He enlisted in the War of 1812, but was in no engagement. His father served in the revolution. He died October 22, 1875. His wife died September 14, 1838, leaving three children, born in Montgomery county: Joseph A., John F., and Margaret A. He was a Methodist. John F., son of the above, was born in Montgomery county October 19, 1834, and has spent his life on the old homestead. He was married August 18, 1868, to Sarah Dewey, daughter of Washington and Betsey Dewey. She was born in Coal Creek township September 24, 1847. They have three children. He now owns fifty-three acres of the old home of 160 acres, and twenty-six and two-thirds acres in Sec. 14. He is a republican.
Source: Revolutionary War Soldiers Montgomery County Indiana
Joseph Alexander was born 1756 County of Tyrone, Ireland. Service was in the Pennsylvania Militia. Died. Last payment of pension made to soldier on 6 Mar 1838 at which time he certified he had lived in Indiana for six years. No family data on pension application. Source Page 36, Roster of Soldiers and Patriots of the American Revolution Buried in Indiana, 1938.
File Created: 17 July 2010
|Boone County ||