Court Records Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
School & Family
William L. Anderson
Source: AW Bowen History of Montgomery County, Indiana p 1097
There is a great deal in being born under a good eye, one that watches and guards off the error and folly that overtake so many young men. The parents are able to infuse into their children the spirit of the Spartans -- the spirit that can meet any fate and make the most of the world -- will see their children grow to years of maturity with excellent -- habits and splendid principles and see them become exemplary citizens. William L. Anderson , one of Montgomery County's progressive agriculturists and public-spirited men of affairs, was fortunate in having broad-minded, honest and painstaking parents. He was taught from the start the duties of life, not ordinary instruction, but the higher duties which all owe to each other and to society. The results has been to give him broad ideas of life and its responsibilities and to fit him for honorable citizenship. He is a talented minister and versatile writer, also. Mr. Anderson was born in Brown County, Indiana, on July 15, 1847, but nearly all of his life has been spent in Montgomery County whither his parents removed with him in 1849, locating on the farm where our subject now lives in Section 7, Clark Township, having conducted the Ladoga Gardens for many years with great success. He is a son of Madison B. and Salome (Harshbarger) Anderson. The father was a farmer and manufacturer of molasses near Ladoga. He was born in Montgomery County, Virginia, September 2, 1822 and was a son of Joseph and Christiana (Britts) Anderson. In 1837 the family removed from the Old Dominion to Morgan County, Indiana. When 21 Madison B. Anderson started in life for himself and came to Montgomery County in 1844, he and Salome Harshbarger marrying the same year. She was born in Virginia in 1824, and came with her parents, Jacob and Salome Harshbarger, to Montgomery County, Indiana in 1831. In 1857 when sugar cane was first introduced here, Madison B. Anderson was one of the first to engage in the manufacture of molasses. He experimented a great deal and greatly improved the method of manufacture. He was an energetic man and spent much time and money in improving his processes, and, owing to the superior quality of his products, they were always in great demand. The early education of William L. Anderson was obtained in the Ladoga Seminary and Academy, and in 1869 he entered Ky. University where he remained until 1871 making an excellent record for scholarship. In 1872 he entered Meadville Theological School in Pa, from which institution he was grad. in 1874. Following his graduation he was for two years turor in Latin and Greek in the last named school and at the same time he had charge of the church in Millegeville and also that of Oil City. He had united with the Christian Church in 1866 and began preaching the following year. Having completed his college work he became pastor of the church at Aurora, Ohio, after which he preached for the church at Bedford, Ohio. having concluded to combine preaching and teaching, he returned to Ladoga, Indiana, and attended the Indiana Central Normal and Business College, from which he was graduated. He then taught 2 years in the Ladoga public school and was elected principal, but accepted the position of superintendent of the township schools at New Winchester, In. In 1880, he became pastor of the church of his denomination in Greenfield, Indiana. At the close of this ministry, he decided to secure a fixed home, that he might train and educate his children, and ever since that time he has resided on his fine farm adjoining Ladoga, where school facilities are good. As a minister he was very successful, being an able theological scholar, an earnest, logical and not infrequently truly eloquent pulpit orator, and he greatly strengthened the churches where he was pastor and was popular with the various congregations he served. mr. Anderson has made a success of gardening and has built up a business known and patronized for miles around. At the same time he has engaged extensively in preaching, lecturing and writing for various periodicals. One of his most popular lectures is entitled, "Historical Evidences of the Truths of the Bible." It has been widely quoted and eulogized. He has written a small work on "Divorce and Remarriage," which has been widely circulated, which he has heard from not only from coast to coast in his own country, but also from Africa. Two of his books have recently come from the press, "The History of Ladoga and Vicinity" and the History of the Harshbargers. Mr. Anderson is an ardent Prohibitionist and has been twice nominated for the legislature on that ticket. He has been frequently employed by that party in campaign work and has canvassed several counties in the state. In the various organizations formed by the farmers of his county some years ago he took active part and was chairman of the joint committees of those organizations. Great interest was aroused and much accomplished. He has been a champion of every progressive movement in his age in which he has always been aggressive. He is considered by some as radical if not fanatical, however, the majority of people praise him for the great good he is accomplishing. Mr. Anderson was marr. in 1874 to Ora Johnson, a lady of culture and refinement, and to this union 5 ch. have been born, namely: Anna, Allie, Angie, Paul and Harry. They are all well educated, having passed through high school and taken college work also. For many years Anna has taught int he SOuth and at present is connected with the Southern Christian Institute, in charge of the mathematical department at Edwards, Miss. Allie, after leaving business college, took a position with the Phelps Publishing Co. in Massachusettes. She now has a business of her own and occupies an office int he Board of Trade Building at Indianapolis. After teaching some years Angie married William Lee, then superintendent of schools in New Haven, Indiana. She now resides at Markle, this state. The two sons have been connected with various educational institutions in the United States. They have been employed by the government at different times as experts in botanical research. At present Paul is connected with Cornell University, at Ithaca, NY; and Harry is with Wabash College at Crawfordsville, Indiana. Paul was sent by cornell Univ. to investigate the effect of fumes and dust from cement mills on the great orchards in NY that were being ruined by the many cement mills nearby. Paul's investigations proved that the dust and fumes were injurious, then taugt the mill men how to collect the dust and make a valuable by-product from it. He was later sent to Pa. to investigate the blight that was killing the chestnut timber of that state, a valuable natural resource. His brother Harry was one of his assistants. He made a thorough and widespread investigation, extending into many states, and succeeded in finding the remedy. Both Paul and Harry are experts in their lines and are quoted as authoriy on the subjects they handle. Harry from infancy has evidenced absorbing interest in nature study, collecting and classifying moths and butterflies, also Indian relics and other things found in the great outdoors. William L. Anderson is known as an accurate and thorough investigator, much interested in the general welfare of humanity, aggressive for the right, fearlessly championing the right even if he should stand alone. He is kine and considerate of others, generous, obliging and courteous and is popular with all who know him. He owns 32 aacres of land which he cultivates as a garden.
Source: Portrait & Biographical History of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana p 417 (Chapman Brothers, 1893)
Rev. William L. ANDERSON, residing on a farm on Section 7, Clark Township, where he is variously engaged in raising small fruits, in the manufacture of sorghum, in the management of a sawmill and in bee and poultry culture, is well known as a minister and lecturer in the Christian Church and as a leader in the Farmers' Alliance movement in Montgomery County. He is a son of Madison B. Anderson, who came to this county in 1849 from Brown County, where our subject was born July 15, 1847. Mr. ANderson was scarcely two years old when his father came to Montgomery County, and his boyhood was passed on the farm where he now lives. He obtained the preliminaries of his education in the ladoga public schools and in the academy at that place. In 1869 he entered the Bible College of the Kentucky University and was a studen therein until 1871 and also took a course in the College of Arts while there. In 1871 he went to Meadville, PA to attend the theological school at that place, from which he was graduatedin 1874. While a student in that institution he was tutor of Greek and latin. After the completion of his studies Mr. A. began his career as a pastor by taking charge of the Christian Church at Aurora, Portage Co, Ohio he having united with the Christian Church in 1866. In 1876 he was called to the Christian Church, at Bedford, Ohio and remained there until the following year when he returned to Ladoga. In 1878 he completed the course of study in the Normal School that he had begun some years before. In 1879 he turned his attention to the profession of teacher, and for one year held the position of Superintendent of the Township Schools of Winchester, Hendricks County. In Sept. 1880, he returned to this county, and settled on his father's farm, where he has been living ever since. Mr. A. devotes his attention largely to the various industries before noted, but he has by no means given up his professional work entirely, as he gives much time to lecturing and preaching. In the campaign of 1888 he was employed by the Prohibition Central COmmittee to lecture on temperance and did some effective work for the party, as he is a strong advocate of prohibition. His chief prominence in political circles, however, is as the organizer of the Farmers' Alliance in Montgomery County of which he is an active member and he is Chairman of the joint committees of labor organizations int he county. He also belongs to the Farmers' Mutual Benefit Association. He is one of the leaders of the Christian Church and does a great deal of pastoral work. He recently delivered a lecture on the "Historical Evidences of the Divinity of the Christian Church." During his first pastorate at Aurora, Ohio, the Rev. Mr. Anderson was married in 1874 to Miss Ora Johnson, who has cheerfully cooperated with him in his work, cheering and inspiring him to do his best. Mrs. Anderson was born August 5, 1854 and is a daughter of Henry Johnson, a prominent business man, residing at Pawnee. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have had six children of whom the following is the record: Annie was born September 17, 1875; Allie, June 24, 1877; Edgar Clay b. April 27, 1879, died July 12, 1879; Angie, who was born October 19, 1880; Paul Johnson March 27, 1884 and Henry Warren, October 14, 1888.
Source: Early History of Ladoga
Anderson, William L, 1847-1924
William L. Anderson was born near Ladoga, Ind on July 15, 1847, the son of M.B. and Salome Harshbarger Anderson. He attended the Christian Church Bible School and Meadville Theological school. Married to Ora Johnson in 1874. They had five children: Anna; Alice; Angie; Paul and Harry. Anderson was a preacher and teacher. He died May 14, 1924.
File Created: 11 August 2010
|Boone County ||