Citation: The Indiana GenWeb Project, Copyright ©1997-2013, Montgomery County Website http://www.ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/
Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain counties, Indiana.
Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893.
James L. Beatty, M. D. The subject of our sketch is a leading physician in the village of New Market, Scott Township, Montgomery County, his office pleasantly situated over Argentous & Childer´s store. Although a comparatively young man, he has achieved a brilliant success in his profession, and has a large practice. He was born April 14, 1859, on the old homestead near Greenville, Mercer County, Pa., the second child in order of birth of John BEATTY. His father was also a native of that county, and a life-long resident of the same. He was a successful farmer, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for many years. In the latter part of his life he sold his farm, and removing to Greenville, he went into business as a contractor and builder. He was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, and was very active in promoting the growth of both church and Sunday-school. He was a Republican, and took part in the management of public affairs as an incumbent of many of the minor offices and as Trustee of his township, and in the administration of law as Justice of the Peace. He died in 1876, and was sincerely lamented. Mr. BEATTY was twice married. His first wife was Miss Drusilla LAMBERT, a native of the same county as himself. She was the mother of four children. His second marriage was with Mrs. Helen SHEPARD, and two children were given them. Four of his children are living.
Doctor BEATTY received his early education in the public schools of his native county, graduation from the High School at Greenville in 1876. After leaving the High School our subject entered upon his medical studies under the competent instruction of Dr. G. G. BRUSH, of Greenville. Well equipped for a college course, he subsequently became a student at the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, in 1879, and was graduated from that institution in 1881 with honor to himself and credit to his class and the college. In establishing himself in his profession, he wisely selected the flourishing village of New Market as the scene of his future labors, and for the past eleven years he has been a resident of Indiana. As we have noted, he has already made a name and a place for himself among our most intelligent and best-known physicians in Montgomery County.
Our subject was married in December, 1886, to Miss Mellie, a daughter of John L. DAVIS, a prominent farmer of Union Township. They have a pleasant and inviting home, gladdened by the presence of a little daughter, Ruth D., who was born in September, 1887.
In politics the Doctor is a Democrat. Socially, he is one of the foremost members of the Knights of Pythias Lodge No. 266, of New Market, and has been master of the Exchequer one term. Religiously, he has connected himself with the Christian Church, while his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Beally, James L.(sic- should be Beatty)
Record# 98735 in database 19th Indiana Century Physicians
Source: 19th Century Database of Indiana Physicians
Return Montgomery County Page.
Return to higher directory.
Citation: The Indiana GenWeb Project, Copyright ©1997-2007, Montgomery County Website http://www.ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/
Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information.