Court Records Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
John A. CLARK
Source: Montgomery County, Indiana H. W. Beckwith History (Chicago: HH Hill, 1881 p 588
CLARK, John A, ([operates] sawmill, Alamo), son of Elijah and Elizabeth (SMITH) Clark, was b. in Rockingham Co, Va. March 21, 1832 both parents being b. in Va. In 1838 he came with his parents to Ripley Twp, settling on Sec. 36, where he now lives. His father being a miller, John was brought up to that profession. In 1864 he took possession of the Clark Mills on Sugar Creek, where he remained until 1874, when he moved to Alamo and built the "Alamo Champion Steam Planing Mills," and ran them with good success until June 5, 1876, when they were destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of about $7,000.In Nov. 1878, he removed to Harveysburg and took charge of the Bodine Mills and in 1879 he returned and is again running the planing mill at Alamo, which has been rebuilt, while his son, William E, takes charge of the old Clark Mills. Jan 27, 1853, NMr. Clark was united in marr. to Elizabeth A. AMMERMAN, who was b. Jan 27, 1837 in Hamilton Co, Ohio. They have had 3 children: William E, b. Nov 18, 1854 was lately marr. to Miss Ella HURTT; Elbert A, b. May 25, 1861, died July 4, 1864 and another son dying in infancy. Mr. C. was trustee of his township for 4 years, commencing 1870 and is a prominent democrat. He joined the Alamo Lodge, AF & AM March 31, 1858, of which he is now an officer, and joined the IOOF [Independent Order of Odd Fellows] Jan 11, 1868, in which he has held all of the offices and has represented his lodge 7 times at the state organization. In 1857 he joined the New Light religious organization, which succumbing to circumstances during the rebellion, he united with the Disciples of Christian Church, where he now acts as clerk and superintends two Sabbath Schools.
Source: Crawfordsville Review Tuesday March 21, 1916 (picture - short version of this lengthy article)
The accompanying picture is a very good likeness of John Allen CLARK of this city who celebrates his 84th birthday today. Son of Elijah and Elizabeth (Smith) Clark born in Rockingham Co, Va. His parents were both born in VA. Six years old settled Ripley Twp Sec 36. His father was a miller John brought up in that profession. Took of 1884 Clark Mills on Sugar Creek. 10 years later he built the Alamo Champion Steam Planing mills running them until destroyed by fire, a loss of $7,000. 1878 removed to Harveysburg and took charge of Bodine Mills. Year later back to Alamo Steam Planing Mill which he rebuilt while his son William E took charge of the old Clark Mills. 1853 Mr. Clark married Elizabeth A. Ammerman was born in Hamilton Co OH - 3 ch: William E; Elbert A and another son d infancy. Mr. Clark in his office tied the nuptial knot for many Ripley Twp couples, throwing in good fatherly advice. Alamo Lodge Odd Fellow. New Light religious organization later Disciples of Christ. After the death of his wife (1883) who was killed while a passenger in the illfated Alamo hack which collided with a train on the Big Four he came to Crawfordsville. He worked insurance in office of Noah J. Clodfelter. Was bookkeeper in different planning mills employed at Dove tail factory and Indiana match factory. In 1885 he married Laura j. Snyder daughter of the late veteran editor, George Snyder with whom he lived happily until her death in June. Mr. Clark attended world's fair in Chicago accompanied by his wife and another couple. A mason for 58 years. Voted 15 times Democratic candidates. For 75 years he has been a constant reader of Crawfordsville Review.
Source: Waveland Independent Waveland, Montgomery County, Indiana May 23, 1919
Mrs. Harry Clark went to Crawfordsville Wednesday to attend the funeral of John A. Clark, who died at the Masonic Home at Franklin, Sunday. He was the last surviving brother of the late J. Frank Clark. Only two of the family of 10 are now living: Mrs. Sarah Fishero of Indianapolis and Mrs. Elizabeth Brown of Wesley. Funeral services were held at the Masonic Temple. Interment in Masonic Cemetery.
File Created: 23 March 2010
|Boone County ||