H. W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Chicago:
HH Hill, 1881) p 458
J. DAVIS, farmer, New Ross, IN. His parents Mr. Robert and Keziah
(MALLET) Davis, came to this co. and settled in the NE part of Clark
Twp in the winter of 1830. They moved here from Ky. on packhorses.
He at once entered land on a little creek called "Strap's branch,"
after an Indian chief named Strap from wearing a strap on his nose
on account of his nasal organ begin affect with something like a
cancer. Here Mr. D. cleared up a farm. As he began in the green
woods he drove the deer from his growing grain and the wolves from
his door. Here he reared his family, and here himself and wife d.
and are bur. in their own private family burying ground on the farm
where they so long lived. His father is also buried here, though
the first man who found a last resting place here was Mr. John SUMNER.
A.J., the subject of our sketch, was b. in Ky, Sept 22, 1829, and
was six months old when he came with his parents to this co. He
had only the advantages of the country school of this County's early
history. In 1852 he marr. Miss Francis E LITTON, a native of Lawrence
Co, IN. They have 6 children; John W; Joseph HS; Oliver C; Elizabeth
M; Carrie B. and Charlie R. Mr. D. is one of those congenial kind
of men with whom it is a pleasure to meet, and a man well posted
in the early history of this township.