Montgomery County, Indiana
Court RecordsDiaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
Note: Henry Keeney (b. about 1812) and Polly (Hughes) Keeney, his wife, built the first dwelling in Madison Township, Montgomery County, according to the 1881 HW Beckwith History (p 433). Henry was a native of Kentucky and at the age of 18, came to Crawfordsville where he read medicine. On October 7, 1832, he married Polly and they became the parents of at least six children: John, James, Louisa, Ruhamma, Urial and William H (b. about 1852, who also became a doctor in the Linden area. He is listed in the 1870 Madison Twp. census as "reading medicine" at age 18). In 1846, Dr. Keeney set up practice in Crawfordsville. Two years later, he located in Linden and was the oldest practicing physician at the time of the Beckwith History.
W. Henry Keeney, physician, Linden, is a native of Montgomery County, and son of Dr. Henry and Polly (Hughes) Keenedy, who were married in 1832 and have six living children: John, James, Louisa D., Burhamma, Urial V. and WIlliam H. In 1829 Mr. Kennedy's father came from his native state, Kentucky, at the age of 18, and settled in Crawfordsville, where he read medicine and began to practice in 1846. Two years after he located in Linden, where he has since pursued his profession with success, and is the oldest practicing physician in this section. His paternal grandparents were James & Caron (Harbott) Keeney, the former being a native of Ky, the latter of Tenn. His great grandfather, Moses Keeney, came from Germany at a very early day. Mr. K. in his boyhood manifested a liking for the study of medicine, which his father encouraged. For several years, he spent most of his time in his favorite pursuit. In 1872 he grad. at the Old School Medical College, Indianapolis, with the honors of his class, and is now located in Linden, practicing in partnership with his father. He is a young man in his profession, of energy, earnestness and ability. He is a member of the IOOF [Independent Order of Odd Fellows] and Masonic Orders.
Source: Montgomery County, Indiana Atlas (Chicago: Beers, 1878) p 51
KEENEY, Dr. Henry, son of James & Caron Kenney was b. in Pulaski Co Ky Oct 8, 1811. He moved with his parents to Montgomery Co in 1829 and located on Dry Branch, So. of Crawfordsville, where they lived for a short time, then located in Crawfordsville. Being a carpenter and joiner, Henry assisted in the construction of the first courthouse in Crawfordsville in 1832; Oct 8, of the same year, he was marr. to Miss Polly H, daughter of John & Ruhama Hughes. in 1841, commenced the study of medicine under Drs. Sloan and Herndon of Crawfordsville, continuing for six years, then commenced practice in Crawfordsville. In the year 1849, Dr. Keeney built and moved into his present home (the first house in Linden). Has been actively engaged as a physician up to this present date. During his marr life, 7 children have been b: John, b. Aug 19, 1833; Lucretta M d. in infancy; Louisiana, March 19, 1836, now Mrs. D. Thules; Ruhama, Feb 1, 1838, now Mrs. R. Sparger; James Feb 29, 1840; died March 1, 1872; Uel, Feb 8, 1842; and William H, June 8, 1851. William H, the youngest son is a practicing physician; and lives in Linden. Dr. K. is a member of Linden Lodge No 393 of Odd Fellows, also a member of the Methodist Church.
|Boone County ||