USGenWeb Log

 

 

Welcome to
Montgomery County, Indiana



INGenWeb Logo
Home
About Me!

Bible Records
Biographies
Cemeteries
Census
Court Records
Diaries & Journals
Family Fact Sheets
History
Letters
Military

News
Obituaries
Photographs
Resources

Reunions
School & Family

GENERAL INFORMATION ON COAL CREEK TOWNSHIP MONTGOMERY County, Indiana

-- see People's Guide 1874 Entries after the general info :) kbz


THANKS MUCHES TO CAROLYN DENNIS FOR THIS -- you're GREATLY appreciated, kiddo!

Source: H.W. Beckwith History of Montgomery County, Indiana (Chicago: HH Hill, 1881)


A creek running through the northern part of this township gives to the section of country its name, Coal Creek. This creek is so-called from the large quantities of coal on either side of it, which occasionally crops from hillsides where the creek becomes larger in Fountain county. The township contains all of T. 20, R. 5 W., and the E. 1/2 of T. 20, R. 6 W. It is enclosed by Tippecanoe county on the north, Madison township on the east, on the south by Union and Wayne townships, and on the west by Fountain county. The northern line is that rich prairie country that has made its possessors wealthy, but this is but from one to two miles wide; the rest was early a heavy growth of timber. When the first settlers entered this part of the sylvan wood they found but little small timber, such as saplings, the forest fires having destroyed it. In its place was a luxuriant growth of grass, and here was the pasture of the deer and the favorite hunting-ground of the native American, "whose rights there were none to dispute," fewer, far, than a hundred years ago. It is said there is more small timber now than then, but "how have the mighty fallen!" As constant droppings wear away the hardest stone, so have the incessant chippings of the woodman's axe felled ten thousand temples, whose maker and builder was not man.

While the larger part of the township is generally level, yet the northern and central portions are beautifully undulating and inviting. Near the center of the township is Sec. 20, a high rise of ground known as "Bristle Ridge." This section of land was entered by a Frenchman, it is said, who, upon beholding his purchase, hastily concluded he could not raise corn where there were so many trees, so leaving his farm untenanted he returned to his sunny vineland. Ere long, people whom we call "squatters" took up their abode on the hill in very small cabins they erected. These people were poor and squalid, and came but to exist a while upon food prepared for them. There were fifteen families on one Sec., 20. There were immense quantities of moss in this region, which, after the early settlement of the surrounding territory, became inviting to the swine for miles around, and here the hog grew fat. But his fatness proved his destruction, for these squatters, obeying the divine injunction, did kill and eat abundantly. To escape suspicion they stowed away the bristles under the floors of their cabins. It is said that Isom Royalty, an early settler, purchased a farm having on it a cabin, under the floor of which, when he destroyed it, he found twenty bushels of hog bristles. Whether this be true or not, it is true that the squatters followed this plan of deception, and hence the name, Bristle Ridge.

The southwest part of the township is known as "Kentuck,"-not from any physical resemblance to the "Blue-Grass" state, but because it was early settled almost wholly by Kentuckians. The first entry of land was made about three years before anyone permanently settled. On September 24, 1823, James Morrow laid claim to the N. E. 1/4 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 30, T. 20 R. 5 W. In 1825 Jonas Mann secured the S.E. 1/4 Sec. 10, same town and range, and David Shoemaker entered the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 1, T. 20, R. 6 W., November 25, 1825, and Jacob Culver the S.E. 1/4 of Sec. 34, same town and range. In 1826 Elias Reea entered the W. 1/2 of S.E. 1/4 Sec. 1; Jacob Beedle, the E. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 1; Simeon Beedle, W. 1/2 of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 10; Abraham and James Thompson, the N.E. 1/4 of Sec. 15; Jacob Culver, the E. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 34; John Culver, the S. W. 1/4 Sec. 34, and Alexander Logan the W. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 22, all in R. 6 W. In this year Christian Beever is credited with the E. 1/2 of S. E. 1/4 Sec. 15, but he did not settle till about 1829. About 1827 came Elija and Elizabeth Park, from near Lawrenceburg, Indiana. They settled in the northeast part of the township, and there lived until death. They lived for some time at first in a tent. On September 22, 1826, Noah Insley landed in Fountain county, Indiana. He was a cabinet-maker by trade, and spent his first year at Newtown and Attica, manufacturing furniture directly from the forest. He probably was the first man who ever cut a stick of timber from Coal Creek township for furniture purposes. He occasionally took rambles through the western part of the township, and remembers the first cabin and civilized family he saw in the township. The first cabin erected in the territory was built by Bostick, a squatter, on the land owned by Alexander Meharry, and occupied for a while by Ellis Insley, whose father entered it. Bostick deserted the cabin from fear of the Indians. The first permanent resident was Charles Reid, whom Mr. Insley discovered not far from the banks of Coal creek. He stood amazed at first, and carefully examined to distinguish whether Indian or white man. An acquaintance was soon formed with but little ceremony. Reid did not build till 1827, which was the first actual improvement. In 1827 immigration found its way more rapidly, leaving Reid no longer monarch of all. On R. 5 W. Mathan Bull entered the N.E. 1/4 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 31; James Morrow became possessor of the E. of N. E. 1/4 Sec. 10, R. 6 W.; also John F. Clements of the E. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 10; William Harris, the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 10; James Morrow also the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 11; John F. Clements also entered the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 15; and Henry Clements the E. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 15; and Vezy Tracy the E. 1/2 of N. E. 1/4 Sec. 27; and John Tracy the W. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 35, all of R. 6 W. In the same year, town and range Thomas Meharry entered the S.W. 1/4 Sec. 2, and the S. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 2. He then returned to Ohio; there married Emily Patton, and February 16, 1828, landed at Attica, having come via the Ohio and Wabash rivers. His pocket contained $50 for the improvement of his farm, and as a means of subsistence till a crop should be raised. He also brought forty yards of jeans for clothing. A house of slabs was erected, which was occupied two years, then a frame house, 16 x 26, story and a half. Success crowned the efforts of himself and wife till he owned a large tract of land and a fine brick mansion. James Meharry is also credited with a land entry. Hugh Meharry, perhaps the most successful man Montgomery numbers among her pioneers, entered, in 1827, the S. E. 1/4 Sec. 3, R. 6 W. Here in 1828 he brought a young wife, and Mr. and Mrs. Meharry became the occupants of a house of slabs and canvas, in which they lived more than a year. Their land was theirs, and to improve and develop the farm they possessed $20 in money, one horse and one ox. But even this poor capital proved sufficient, when expended by grit, energy and economy, to make Mr. Meharry the owner of 20,000 acres of land. He often carried his milling to Terre Haute, being gone five days, while his wife, surely a heroine of the frontier, remained in her tent alone, with no sound to cheer her, but the fierce and hungry howl of the wolf would add to her longing for her companion. Women indeed were as brave and unfaltering in subduing this wilderness as were the more frequently lauded heroes; courage, fortitude, bravery, valor, intrepidity and gallantry, were attributes belonging to the one as well as the other. Return to Montgomery County, Indiana GenWeb Page The uncleared forest, the unbroken soil, The iron bark that turns the lumberer's axe, The rapid that o'erbears the boatman's toil, The prairie, hiding the mazed wanderer's tracks, The ambushed Indian, and the prowling bear,- Such were the needs that helped their youth to train- Rough culture! but such trees large fruit may bear, If but their stocks be of right girth and grain. Mr. Meharry's first entry is now a very fine farm and owned by his son, Alexander Meharry. Christian Beever about this time entered the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 14, also the E. 1/2 of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 15, T. 20, N., R. 6 W. He brought a family of four children: Barbara, Nancy, Catharine, and Matthias. Catharine, now Mrs. Chesnut, is the only only of the family surviving. In 1828 George Marlow entered the E. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 14, T. 20, N., R. 6 W.; also Solomon Beedle the E. 1/2 of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 22; Abraham McMorvins, the W. 1/2 of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 22. James McKinney, prominent in the early work of the Christian church and general development of the country, laid claim to the E. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 22. Jesse Tracy obtained by patent the W. 1/2 of S. E. 1/4 Sec. 27. In the same year several settlements were made in R. 5 W. John Alexander entered the S.E. 1/4 Sec. 3; Lewis Bible, the north fraction of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 5; David Oppy became owner of the E. 1/2 of N. E. 1/4 Sec. 8, and the E. 1/2 of N. W. 1/4 Sec. 9; Lewis Biddle received a patent for the W. 1/2 of N. E. 1/4 Sec. 8, and Stephen Biddle for the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 9 ; James Smith entered the E. 1/2 of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 11, also the E. 1/2 of S.E. 1/4 Sec. 11; Joseph Parke secured the E. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 11, and James Taylor the W. 1/2 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 11; John Chenoworth entered Secs. 13 and 14. John Alexander built a cabin on the farm now owned by John F. Alexander, also the house in which John F. lives. He died in 1875. Lewis Bible, with his wife Mary and four children, Sally, Mary, John and George, came from Ohio and entered land in the southern edge of Tippecanoe county as well as in Coal Creek township. Their house stood in Tippecanoe county, and there the old folks died. John married; losing his wife by death he next married Mary, daughter of Alex and Hessie May, who were early settlers in Montgomery county. Mr. Bible dying, Mrs. Bible assumed full control of the farm, which she kept well stocked, riding after cattle, buying calves, and selling her stock to an advantage, and is deserving of honorable mention as a woman successful in the business of the farm. The year 1828 also chronicled the arrival of Absalom Kirkpatrick, afterward one of Montgomery's most useful citizens, not a man seeking after office, but one of general usefulness, such as a new country demands. George Kirkpatrick was at that time living in Tippecanoe county, and with him Absalom housed his family, consisting of his mother, then an old lady, his wife, Elizabeth (Vanpelt), and six children, John, Rachel, Samuel, Hiram, Cyrus Q. and Absalom J., while he prepared a roof for them. He purchased 160 acres of government land at $1.25 per acre, borrowing $60 to complete payment. He had sold a farm in Ohio, but received but little for it, and that partly in trade. He moved out with an ox team, driving his stock before him. After purchasing his land he built a "camp" with one side open, no floor but that of nature's handiwork, and roof of clapboards. Into this retreat he moved, December 1, 1828. In this the family lived till a better house was erected of hewn logs, one room, 18X26, one story, stick and clay chimney, hewn-log floor, clapboard roof, etc. This structure is still standing, but has changed its appearance, being transformed by weather-boarding, etc., into a house of the present age. In it Mr. Kirkpatrick died May 4, 1855, followed on May 5, 1863, by his wife. His mother, Elizabeth, had also closed her eyes in death, at the age of eighty years, in the same log cabin. Absalom Kirkpatrick was magistrate for fourteen years successively till he resigned. He was employed to locate the public road from Covington to Strawtown, which he did, a distance of seventy miles or more, employing John Gilliland, of Crawfordsville, to do the surveying. He was also the first incumbent of the office of land appraiser. No one did more for the general development of Coal Creek township than did Absalom Kirkpatrick. His son, Cyrus Q., now a resident of Tippecanoe county, is an extensive farmer, and perpetuates the principles of his father. The whole family has been one of the most useful, whether in the material, intellectual or spiritual growth of the section of country included in these notes. 1829 witnessed the arrival of others. Thomas Patton entered part of Sec. 1, T. 20 N., R. 6 W.; Ann Cook; part of Sec. 2; Abner Clark, Sec. 13; Joseph E. Hayden, part of Sec. 14; William Foote, 160 acres in Sec. 15; Isaac Coon, part of Sec. 22. Besides original entries, land began to change hands, and there was both going out and coming in. 1830 brought David Clarkson, John Husted, Moses Husted, Arthur Taylor, Abraham Beede, Solomon McKinzer, Michael Stout, Elisha Grennard, Asa Reeve, John Brown and others. James Gregory bought the W. 1/2 of S.E. 1/4 Sec. 1, R. 6, entered by Charles Reid, and added till he owned 540 acres of land. Lewis Clarkson must have made his appearance about the same time. Samuel Kincaid, a native of Ohio, emigrated to Crawfordsville, Indiana, not far from 1825, where he followed blacksmithing. About 1830 he moved to Coal Creek township and secured the land on which the hamlet of New Richmond is built, buying the land of Allen Beezley. Here he opened a blacksmith shop, the first in this region. He built his log cabin on the spot occupied by Squire McComas' residence. He early laid out the town of New Richmond and died in 1845 in Hamilton county, Indiana, where he had moved. William Kincaid, son of Samuel, came to Indiana about 1829 or 1830, and secured a part of Sec. 4, R. 5. He died in 1846. Jacob Dazey aud his son Samuel made a trip in 1826, on horseback, and examined the country in this region. In 1828 Jacob again came to Montgomery county, and this time he entered 160 acres of land in Coal Creek township. This time he was delayed somewhat, so Samuel was started out to look for him, fears arising as to his whereabouts. When Samuel had gained the Black Swamps he was attacked by a couple of strange men who had followed him some distance, but drawing his revolver he dispersed them. This is but one of many such instances that occurred in those early days when men traveled alone through the wilderness. Finding his father, Samuel returned with him. In 1830 Jacob sold his premises in Ohio and with his wife, Polly, and four children, Nillie, Samuel, Sarah, and Jacob Jr., moved with two yoke of oxen and one span of horses to his new home. They built a shanty, and in 1831 erected a small frame house, floor and post and heavy timbers hewn, while the lighter lumber they sawed with a whip saw. In the same year John Gaines, born in an Indian trading post, came on foot, when a young man, to Montgomery county. His first night's rest in this county was in the attic of the Crain tavern, seven miles east of Crawfordsville, between two sheets. Hardly sufficient covering for January. He shook the snow from the cover before climbing in. Next morning, glad to rise from his wintry bed, he pushed on to his uncle Allen Simpson's. His fortune was $110 in cash, with which he entered eighty acres of land two miles north of Crawfordsville. He worked for his uncle some time. He made 44,000 rails and 15,000 stakes, which he hauled with an ox team and laid, fencing 400 acres of land into five lots. He has become one of the successful men of the county. Thomas Ward also arrived in 1830. His experience was full of hardships. Emigrating from England with his young wife, in 1829, to New York; then, in 1830, to Montgomery county by way of the lakes; then up the Maumee river in a canoe to Fort Wayne, sleeping in the woods, in caves, etc. They brought their all in the canoe, as well as their infant, Thomas, accompanied by a guide, who attempted to rob them by cutting their boat adrift, then endeavored to convince them the Indians had robbed them. Fortunately all were found. Under such circumstances they reached Fort Wayne. Their travels were by no means over. Loading their goods for conveyance on some wagons that happened to be there, they themselves took horses, Mrs. Ward carrying her babe. Twice she waded the Wabash river with her infant, in her dress skirt, being somewhat fearful to ride across. Thus traveling through thick woods, now in a scarcely visible Indian trail, now lost and night coming on, all the time alone in a wilderness, they finally reached La Fayette in August. They soon pushed on to Coal Creek township. Disappointed and disheartened at the prospects, they set out on their return, but were prevailed upon to remain. They bought land and built a cabin, but in the following spring sold. Mr. Ward returned to England to settle his business, then again set sail for New York. He arrived and started by canal for Indiana. The canal freezing, he was obliged to return to his starting place. Mr. Ward then procured a team and sleigh and with this crossed the country, being obliged at one stream to construct a bridge before crossing. He arrived at Crawfordsville, Indiana, about January 31. In the following February, 1832, he bought 160 acres of land in Coal Creek township, living in a small cabin, already built, till 1837, when he erected a small frame house, which is now the kitchen to his brick residence erected in 1845. In their early days here they used brush brooms, cracked corn in a stump hollowed out, using an iron wedge for a pestle, killed any amount of wild game, fared without bread for seven weeks at one period, and thus dragged away the pioneer years. Mr. Ward purchased some potatoes, and to preserve them from the frost covered them over in the cabin, but the oxen searching for food broke into the house and devoured them. Through all these experiences Mr. and Mrs. Ward fought their battles until they became prosperous and wealthy farmers.

The few years following 1830 brought many more inhabitants to Coal Creek. They clustered thickly around what is now Pleasant Hill till, as John McJimsey asserts, there were nearly as many in this vicinity in 1834 as in 1880. In these years Isaac Montgomery settled in Coal Creek township. His father, Alexander Montgomery, came to Crawfordsville in 1824 and opened a shoe shop. While living there Isaac became the first mail carrier from Crawfordsville to La Fayette. He made the trip requiring two days once a week, and received for it 50 cents. He carried the mail one year, when his brother Simpson secured the job of David Vance, the contractor. Isaac Montgomery has been one of the most successful farmers, owing his success to his own industry. In 1834 George Westfall rented the Gregory farm, and finally bought property. Jacob Dazey entered, October 8, 1849, the N.E. 1/4 of S. W. 1/4 Sec. 8, T.20, R. 5 W., and Isaac H. Montgomery made the last entry, the tract being the W. 1/2 fraction of N.E. 1/4 Sec. 2, same town and range, his entry dating November 23, 1849. Limited space forbids the writer following farther the general settlement of this township.

Coal Creek township has had four post-offices: Pleasant Hill, New Richmond, Boston Store, and Round Hill. The last has been discontinued, and no sign of a town remains. Boston Store is but a post-office, one store, blacksmith-shop, etc. New Richmond, laid out by Samuel Kincaid as before maintained, has become a village of three stores, a blacksmith-shop, several doctors, a church, and a few dwellings.

Dr. Manners was the first permanent doctor, and here enjoyed large patronage. About 1831 Christian Beever laid out the town of Pleasant Hill. It immediately thrived, and promised to become a goodly town, but having no railroad it has continued a place for country trade only. In a very early day there were three saloons. Wm. Waddle opened a general-stock store, which he continued a short time, then James L. McKinney kept store. Quite a number of dwellings were erected, and business became brisk, supporting three merchants. The first postmaster was J. L. McKinney. David Shoemaker and brother Leonard were the early blacksmiths. Mr. Beever donated a lot to Carmon Layton, a carpenter, to induce him to settle here, and his brother, Thomas Layton, was the first doctor. A Mr. Westfall kept a tavern, having a sign out reading "Traveler's Rest." Two travelers passing through one day, noting the saloons and general character of the town in its early life, met a couple of school-girls, of whom they inquired the name of the place. When told, Pleasant Hill, one of the travelers remarked, "Better have it called Present H-l!" The other traveler noticing the sign, " Traveler's Rest," jocosely joined "Devil's Nest!" The tavern-keeper kept a bar, around which liquor was freely flowing. But the days of saloons passed away, having given place to schools and churches, and consequently a better class of society has for many years controlled the affairs of the town and vicinity. SCHOOLS. The first school-house probably built in the region was erected about two and a half miles south of where Pleasant Hill now is. There Father Bingham, then a man of many snows, taught the very few who attended that pioneer temple of education. There Catharine Beever, now Mrs. Chesnut, of Pleasant Hill, was taught to read. In about 1831 a log school-house was built a short distance south west of Pleasant Hill, where James L. McKinney became the first instructor.

As candidates for education became more numerous, more ample accommodations were supplied. A frame house was erected just prior to the war, but immediately after its completion it was burned by incendiaries. The lovers of knowledge and progress were not to be daunted in their efforts to transmit to their children the most princely of fortunes, an education, though it were limited. The ruins were immediately obliterated by a new building, and there the youth received instruction. Desirous of a more thorough system of education the patrons, prominent among whom were Mathias, Alexander, John and Hamilton McClure, M. Beever, John McJimsey, John Ashenhurst, and others, decided to establish a graded school. In 1860 the present building was erected at a cost of about $1,800, having two departments. C. H. Pease, the first principal in the graded school, taught one year, and began a second, but from political reasons resigned. A Mr. Spilman next wielded the birch, followed by John Ellis, each having an assistant. From 1865 to 1868 W. C. and D. W. Gerard had charge, under whose management the school became very efficient. In after years the school has not been what it used to be. During the past six years Charles A. McClure has had charge as principal, whose long term of service but indicates his success. Daniel Murphy is his present assistant. Similar has been the progress of education in other parts of the township. In the Kirkpatrick district the education of the children was early looked to. The house of logs gave way to the present comfortable frame buildings, supplied with apparatus and competent teachers.

Pleasant Hill has also a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, and one of the oldest in the county. It is No. 63, and was known as Pleasant Hill Lodge. It was organized about 1850. Prominent among the early members were John M. Thomas, W. M.; W. W. Tiffany, S. W.; A. J. Royalty, J. W.; John Koon, Treas. The lodge met with some reverses which rent it, but finally was reorganized on a sure and permanent basis, and is in good condition.

CHURCHES. The Methodist church is certainly the first to have been planted in Coal Creek township. As early as 1830 a class was organized at the house of Absalom Kirkpatrick. The members were Absalom Kirkpatrick, wife and children (John and Rachel), also William Forbes, wife and children, Jeremiah Sherwood and wife, Alexander May and wife, James and Samuel Kendall and wives. William Forbes was either a local preacher or exhorter, and was the early class-leader. Jere Sherwood was also class-leader. Prayer and class meetings were generally well attended, and were often seasons of great spiritual power. Mr. Kirkpatrick's house was 18X26 feet, with a fire-place in one end, at which the cooking was done. After meeting closed the rude benches were carried out and dinner was prepared, a goodly number of the congregation generally remaining to partake of the hospitalities always extended them by host and hostess. The term "style" was foreign to their language, but "welcome" they had understood since childhood. The first church built in the neighborhood occupied a spot of Absalom Kirkpatrick's land. It was erected about 1835, and was about 26 x 40 feet. The walls were brick. The pulpit was an old-fashioned box pulpit, and three steps were necessary to reach it. The minister when seated could not be seen by those in front. All was plain, and cost about $900, a large sum for that day. William Davis was the contractor. The church was dedicated by Rev. Thomas Brown, then the presiding elder. This church, known as the "Old Brick Church," was used until about 1853, when the present frame was erected at New Richmond. Besides Mr. Kirkpatrick, Alexander May and Eli Elrod were prominent in the erection of the " Brick Church. " The early ministers were James Armstrong, John Strange, Stephen R. Beggs, Hackaliah Vredenburgh, Nehemiah Griffith, Samuel Brenton, Samuel A. Cooper and Richard Hargrave. Cyrus Q. Kirkpatrick, in speaking of Richard Hargrave says, "he delivered the first temperance lecture in a log barn belonging to his (Kirkpatrick's) father, that there the first temperance pledge was circulated and signed, and that there was strong opposition to temperance at that day. Besides the class, mentioned there was a Methodist class that met at Christian Beever's in a very early day. The ministers mentioned above also worked here. Prominent in the Beever organization were William Cosaboom and wife, John Clements and wife, Elija Walden and wife, several families of Canes from Fountain county, John Tatman and wife, George Sly and Christian Beever. Mr. Cosaboom was class-leader for many years. Christian Beever and John Tatman were stewards. "Meetings were held around" there in the brick school-house. A church was built about 1853 and dedicated by Richard Hargrave. John Koon and Levi Curtis were prominent in the preparations for building, and William Brunsley, Alexander McClure and John McJimsey were trustees. The house cost about $1,600. The church is about 45 x 55, two stories high, the second story being used by the Masons and temperance societies, and owned by them. The church is now in good condition, under the charge of Rev. E. R. Johnson.

The Methodist denomination have also a church at Boston Store, another at Round Hill, and is the strongest denomination in the township.

Christian church.-Solomon and James McKinney and wives, John and Mary Roll, Solomon Beedle and wife, Thomas Welch and wife, ___ Sargent and wife, were early settlers and believers in the faith of this church. An organization was formed at Solomon McKinney's house, one mile northeast of Pleasant Hill. John Roll was deacon, and the McKinneys filled the pulpit; James McKinney was pastor for over ten years. These people soon occupied the school-house. They built a hewn-log church about 1837. All the neighbors for five or six miles around turned out to aid in the "raising." The house was about 24 x 36, the seats were sawed slabs, a plank served as a temporary pulpit, and light at night was furnished from candles in small pieces of board nailed to the wall. The church rapidly enlarged in numbers till they were able to build a frame house. This was burned about 1861 or 1862, after which they held services in the Methodist church for two years. About 1864 the present edifice was built at a cost of about $1,000. George Westfall, Henry Palin, Samuel Gregory, and Dr. John M. Thomas, were prime movers in the erection. The church has continued prosperous. General conference has occasionally convened here, the last time in the summer of 1880. John T. Phillips is at present minister in charge, and the church numbers about 150 members.

The Christian, or New Light, church was organized in 1866, and consummated early in 1867. A band of nine persons pledged themselves to stand by the church through stormy weather and through sunshine. Bros. Bannon and Carney formed part of this band, and other earnest workers were Wm. Utterback and wife, Benj. Roadhammel, James Morrow, Elisha Grennard, David Dazey, Garner Bobo, John Bennett, James Wainscot, and a few others. Brother Lewis Bannon was the first preacher. Meetings were held in Center school-house. A meeting-house had been urged, but no definite steps taken to procure it. At a New Year's party given by A. L. Carney, in the winter of 1879-80, after supper the church question was sprung; whereupon up spake Wm. Utterback, stating that he would subscribe twice as much as anyone else toward a house of worship. Mr. Roadhammel responded with the promise of $100, whereupon Mr. Utterback doubled that sum. The needed amount was soon raised. The contract for a building 35 X 45 was let to B. Merrill, of Waynetown, promising $1,000 for said building. The church was erected, furnished and finished at a cost of $1,200, and dedicated on the first Sunday in September 1880, by Bro. A. L. Carney, assisted by Thomas Quilben, Maxwell, and McCoy. Linsey McCoy was minister in charge. The church numbers about 105 members. Wm. Utterback and James Morrow are deacons, and David Dazey is clerk. A Sunday-school has been supported, with David Dazy as superintendent. The church is located in Sec. 19, T. 20 N., R. 5 W. Politically Coal Creek township has always been democratic. In the early days no political lines were drawn. A man was proposed for any simple office and voted in. In 1836 there were fifty-six houses in the township. Josiah Hutchison, a strong and life-long democrat, decided that the people should be divided. Making a trip to Crawfordsville, he secured Mayor Bryce, a democratic attorney, to make a democratic speech for the Coal Creekers. The time for the speech was set, and Mr. Hutchison, in one day, carried the news to every house in the township. The speech was made, an election occurred for justice of the peace, David Clarkson was the democratic nominee, and Absalom Kirkpatrick the choice of the whigs. The democrats carried the day by one majority, and have continued the stronger party ever since. Clarkson, for some reason, dropped out in a short time, when the whigs carefully, and by some means not known, put Absalom Kirkpatrick in the office, which he held for fourteen years, till he resigned.

MEHARRY GROVE. If there is one spot in Montgomery county more celebrated than another (and there certainly is), that spot is Meharry Grove. Located on Coal creek, one and a half miles north of Pleasant Hill, a high and beautifully shaded place, it has been the favorite campground over thirty years. The grounds contain about forty acres, a large number of seats are provided, and water is plentiful. Here it has not been an uncommon occurrence for thousands of happy faces to congregate. The eminent divines, Cyrus Nutt, Pres. Berry, Bishop Bowman, Dr. Brenton, have preached to immense audiences. Here was held a mammoth temperance rally about 1875, addressed by the "Broad Ax," or M. D. Chance. Here, too, have ex-Gov. Col. Robert Hawley, of Centennial fame, Gov. S. M. Cullom, of Illinois, Hon. G. S. Orth, Judge T. F. Davidson, and other renowned statesmen, proclaimed American principles to vast concourses of people. In all these gatherings the prevailing characteristic has been good order and universal enjoyment. The present possessors of Coal Creek township are a successful and progressive people.


1874 Residents from the People's Guide

Information include below is:

Name -- Occupation --Where live -- Where Born-- When came to Mont. Co -- Politics -- Religion -- Other


ALEXANDER, J. H. farmer 1 1/2 m s New Richmond OH 1826 1830

ALEXANDER, J. T. farmer 1 1/4 m ne New Richmond MC 1834 Republican

ALEXANDER, John farmer 1 1/4 m ne New Richmond PA 1794 1828 Republican Methodist

ALEXANDER, Joseph farmer 1 1/4 m w Linden OH 1821 1829 Republican

AMES, J. farmer 1/2 m se Boston KY 1823 1853 Democrat

ANDERSON, E. T. physician and surgeon 5 m ne Waynetown IN 1844 1873 Republican

ANDREWS, B. retired farmer Boston VA 1799 1844 Republican Christian

ANGLE, J. L. farmer 3 m s New Richmond IN 1846 1850 Democrat

BADGLEY, J. many trades Boston OH 1845 1865 Granger

BAGBY, T. M. farmer 2m e Pleasant Hill KY 1838 1847 Democrat

BAILEY, C. J. farmer 1 m e Pleasant Hill KY 1833 1837 Democrat Methodist

BAILS, S. farmer 2 m sw Linden

BASTO, D. farmer 2 m nw Boston

BEEDLE, H. farmer 1/4 m nw Pleasant Hill IN 1828 1871 Democrat Christian

BEEDLE, L. L. farmer 1/4 m nw Pleasant Hill IN 1853 1871

BENNETT, G. M. mechanic Pleasant Hill OH 1832 1837 Republican Christian

BENNETT, J. S. farmer 2 1/2 m n Boston OH 1829 1837 Democrat Christian

BENNETT, T. J. blacksmith 3 1/2 m s New Richmond OH 1834 1853 Methodist

BENNETT, W. M. farmer 2 1/2 m n Boston MC 1850 Republican Methodist

BENNETT, Wm. blacksmith New Richmond IN 1835 1849

BETTIS, A. farmer New Richmond KY 1827

BEVER, C. C. farmer 1 m ne Pleasant Hill IN 1842 1867

BEVER, C. C. druggist Pleasant Hill MC 1853 Republican

BEVER, H. J. farmer Pleasant Hill IN 1847 1866 Republican Methodist

BIBLE, A. P. farmer 1/2 m n Boston MC 1845 Democrat Baptist

BIBLE, D. O. farmer 2 1/2 m sw New Richmond 1837 Democrat Christian

BIBLE, R. M. farmer 2 1/4 m n New Richmond MC 1847 Republican Methodist

BITTLE, J. farmer 1 m e Pleasant Hill VA 1834 1856 Republican

BLOOM, J. merchant Pleasant Hill Germany 1831 1874 Democrat

BLOOM, J. merchant Pleasant Hill Germany 1832 1874 Jew

BOTTONBER, J. farmer 3 m e Pleasant Hill IN 1843 1867 Republican Methodist

BOUKER, W. H. farmer Pleasant Hill IN 1848 1869

BROWN, D. W. farmer 1 1/2 m ne Boston MC 1845

BRYANT, J. farmer 1 m e Pleasant Hill IN 1827 1869

BRYANT, J. H. farmer 1/4 m e Pleasant Hill MC 1849 Republican Methodist

BUNNELL, J. H. farmer 2 1/2 m n Boston IN 1871

BUNNELL, S. farmer 2 m ne Boston OH 1821 1825 Democrat Christian

BURK, E. farmer 4 m se Pleasant Hill OH 1816 1844 Democrat

BURK, E. farmer 2 1/2 m s New Richmond OH

BURRIS, K. farmer 1 1/2 m e New richmond IN 1848 1869 Republican

BURROUGHS, H. farmer 1 1/2 m se New Richmond OH 1848 1869 Republican

CAMPBELL, E. C. painter New Richmond MC 1834 Democrat

CAMPBELL, J. C. blacksmith New Richmond PA 1808 1832 Republican Methodist

CAMPBELL, Wm. grocery and notion store New Richmond MC 1847 Democrat

CASH, B. farmer 1 m se New Richmond VA 1839 1867 Democrat

CLARKSON, J. farmer 3 m w New Richmond MC 1840 Republican

CLARKSON, P. farmer 3 m w Sugar Grove MC 1844

CLINE, Levi farmer 2 1/2 m nw Boston Store MC 1847

CLOUGH, A. farmer 3 m sw New Richmond KY 1805 1843 Democrat

CLOUGH, B. farmer 2 1/2 m n Boston Store MC 1844 Democrat Christian

CLOUGH, B. farmer 2 1/2 m sw New Richmond OH 1834 1843 Democrat

CLOUGH, J. veterinary surgeon and farmer 2 1/2 m sw New Richmond OH 1838 1842 Democrat Christian

COLEMAN, J. farmer 9 m nw Crawfordsville Ireland 1834 Democrat Catholic

CONARROE, C. farmer 4 m s New Richmond IN 1853

COOK, J. farmer 1 1/2 m se New Richmond OH 1815 1850 Republican Christian

COWAN, C. stock trader 2 1/4 m e Boston MC 1848 Democrat Baptist

COWAN, C. S. farmer 4 m s New Richmond MC 1842 Republican

COWAN, D. R. farmer 4 m s New Richmond MC 1839 Democrat

COWAN, W. farmer 4 1/2 m s New Richmond OH 1812 1834 Democrat

CRAWFORD, S. T. saw-miller and farmer 1 1/2 m ne Boston Store OH 1829 1856 Democrat Christian

CROKE, T. M. farmer 1 1/2 m se New Richmond MC 1846

CURTIS, Daniel farmer 1 m s Pleasant Hill MC 1853 Democrat

CURTIS, L. T. farmer 1 m s Pleasant Hill OH 1817 1845 Democrat Methodist

DAVIS, Wm. farmer 1 1/2 m nw Pleasant Hill IN 1840 1872 Democrat Baptist

DAZEY, B. farmer 2 m nw New Richmond MC 1839 Republican United Brethren

DAZEY, S. B. farmer 2 m nw New Richmond IN 1812 1844

DAZEY, Wm. farmer 2 m nw New Richmond MC 1842 Republican

DAZY, C. farmer 2 m nw New Richmond MC 1845 Republican New Light

DETCHON, S. S. New Richmond OH 1830 1851 Democrat

DEWEY, G. farmer 2 m w Linden MC 1840

DEWEY, John farmer 2 m w Linden MC 1850

DEWEY, P. farmer 1 1/2 m ne New Richmond MC 1845 Democrat

DEWEY, S. farmer 1 3/4 m e New Richmond MC 1846 Democrat Methodist

DILLING, J. lumber dealer Boston Store MC 1827

DONOVAN, J. H. farmer 1 1/2 m s Pleasant Hill IN 1848 1865 Democrat Methodist

DONOVAN, J. S. farmer 1 1/2 m s Pleasant Hill OH 1834 1865 Democrat Christian

DONOVAN, P. blacksmith 1 1/2 m s Pleasant Hill KY 1807 1865 Democrat Baptist

EBRITE, A. school teacher 3/4 m s New Richmond OH 1835 1837 Democrat Christian

ERVIN, William farmer 2 m s New Richmond OH 1833 1837 Democrat

ESHELMAN, John farmer 3 1/2 m se New Richmond PA 1825 1857 Republican Methodist

FARLEY, William farmer 2 m s New Richmond MC 1839 Democrat

FRAZIER, J. farmer 1 1/4 m s Pleasant Hill IN 1847 1871 Republican Methodist

GAINES, John farmer 4 m nw New Richmond IN 1807 1830 Republican Methodist

GANNON, James farmer 1/2 m n New Richmond MC 1848 Democrat

GEARY, G. H. farmer 2 1/2 m ne Pleasant Hill MD 1847 1871 Republican Methodist

GILKEY, A. H. farmer Pleasant Hill IN 1823 1832 Democrat Universalist

GOFF, E. T. farmer 4 1/2 m nw Pleasant Hill NY 1834 1863 Democrat Baptist

GOLDSBERY, J. merchant Pleasant Hill OH 1852 1872 Democrat

GRAVES, N. farmer Boston Store OH 1823 1851 Democrat United Brethren

GRAVES, Wm. farmer 3 m sw New Richmond

GREEN, T. C. school teacher Pleasant Hill MC 1844 Republican Protestant G

RENARD, Elisha farmer and agent 1 1/2 m w Boston Store KY 1827 1829 Democrat Christian

GRENARD, H. farmer 2 m s Pleasant Hill KY 1825 1843 Democrat Baptist

HAMILTON, J. H. farmer 1 1/4 m ne Pleasant Hill 1810 1832 Republican Methodist

HANDLEY, T. S. blacksmith and farmer 1 3/4 m nw New Richmond OH 1826 1845 Republican Methodist

HARPER, N. farmer 2 m from Boston KY 1819 1834

HARPER, W. farmer 3/4 m s Pleasant Hill MC 1839 Democrat Methodist

HARSHBARGER, J. farmer 1 1/2 m n Boston MC 1851 Democrat

HARTNESS, L. A. farmer Pleasant Hill OH 1835 1853 Republican Methodist

HAYS, Geo. farmer 3 m se Pleasant Hill 1873 Republican United Brethren

HAYS, S. M. Methodist minister Pleasant Hill IN 1827 Republican

HAYWOOD, T. farmer 2 1/2 m n New Richmond NJ 1818 1834

HEFFNER, A. M. farmer 3 m s Pleasant Hill VA 1824 1853 Democrat

HENRY, J. S. farmer 1 1/4 m n Pleasant Hill IN 1852 1868 Democrat

HENRY, W. H. farmer 1 1/4 m n Pleasant Hill VA 1827 1868 Democrat

HIXSON, J. farmer Pleasant Hill NJ 1792 1832 Republican Methodist

HIXSON, W. carpenter 1/2 m s Pleasant Hill OH 1834 1835 Democrat

HOBBS, L. farmer New Richmond MC 1846 Republican Christian

HORN, E. farmer 4 m sw Linden VA 1822 1844

HOUSE, Wm. farmer 4 m s New Richmond KY 1817 1834 Democrat Christian

HOWARD, W. E. farmer 1 1/2 m s New Richmond MC 1847 Democrat

HUGHES, D. M. farmer 1 1/2 m sw Linden IL 1847 1873 Democrat

HURT, W. J. physician and surgeon Pleasant

Hill IN 1850 1855 Republican

HUTCHISON, J. farmer 2 m s Pleasant Hill OH 1834 1835 Democrat

INSLEY, Noah farmer 3 1/2 m nw New Richmond OH 1807 1832 Methodist

JOHNSON, G. farmer Crawfordsville MC 184- New Light

JOHNSON, K. farmer 7 m nw Crawfordsville MC 1830 Democrat

JOHNSON, S. farmer 4 1/4 m s New Richmond MC 1847

JOLLY, G. farmer 4 1/2 m s New Richmond IN 1845 1867 Democrat

JOLLY, John farmer 4 m s New Richmond MC 1848 Democrat Christian

JONES, G. W. farmer 2 m se New Richmond MC 1837 Democrat

KELLISON, S. D. farmer 5 m e Pleasant Hill OH 1828 1830 Democrat Methodist

KEMBLE, W. farmer 2 m sw Linden NJ 1828 1833 Republican

KEMP, R. farmer 3 m s Pleasant Hill KY 1830 1858 Democrat Christian

KERR, J. G. Pleasant Hill MC 1848

KING, W. D. farmer 1 m e Boston NC 1803 1867 Democrat

KIRKPATRICK, A. F. farmer 1 m w New Richmond OH 1834 1828 Republican Methodist

KOON, J. retired farmer 1 1/2 m nw Pleasant Hill OH 1797 1834

KOON, J. H. farmer 1 1/2 m nw Pleasant Hill MC 1842 Republican

KRUG, H. sewing machine agent Pleasant Hill MC 1848 KRUG, W. J. Pleasant Hill PA 1814 1838

LINCH, E. farmer 2 m ne Boston OH 1855 1872

MANNERS, G. farmer 1/2 m se New Richmond KY 1816 1831 Republican Methodist

MARKS, Adam farmer 7 m w New Richmond PA 1801 1839

MATHEWS, G. carpenter 2 m nw Boston NC 1820 1874 Republican

MCBRIDE, J. farmer 2 1/2 m nw Linden IN 1837 1871 Democrat

MCCLURE, J. farmer 3 m ne Pleasant Hill OH 1814 1848 Republican Methodist

MCCLURE, J. L. farmer 2 1/2 m nw Pleasant Hill OH 1833 1844 Republican Methodist

MCCLURE, W. farmer Pleasant Hill MC 1849 Republican Methodist

MCCREA, E. T. farmer 1/2 m se New Richmond IN 1836 1867 Republican Methodist

MCJINSEY, John hotel Pleasant Hill KY 1799 1833 Republican Methodist

MEHARY, A. farmer 2 m n Pleasant Hill MC 1843 Republican Methodist

MILEY, George farmer 3 m n Waynetown OH 1829 1840 Democrat M. Baptist

MILLER, I. farmer 8 m nw Crawfordsville MC 1827 Democrat

MILLER, M. farmer 2 1/2 m sw Pleasant Hill Germany 1833 1844 Methodist

MILLER, M. H. farmer 3 m w New Richmond KY 1820 1834 Honesty

MILLER, W. R. farmer 3 m s New Richmond MC 1842 Democrat

MITCHELL, S. S. blacksmith New Richmond OH 1844 1873

MONTGOMERY, I. H. farmer 1 1/2 m nw Linden IN 1814 1826 Republican Methodist

MORROW, James farmer 1 m nw Boston MC 1830 Democrat Christian

MUYR, N. farmer 2 1/2 m nw Linden IN 1847 1857 Democrat Methodist

NEWLIN, H. druggist Pleasant Hill 1854 1868 Democrat

OCHELTREE, T. farmer 2 1/2 m se Pleasant Hill MC 1848 Republican

OCHELTREE, T. farmer 3 m se Pleasant Hill KY 1799 1839 Republican Methodist

OGLE, J. farmer 3/4 m nw Pleasant Hill IN 1831 1872 Republican Baptist

OLIVER, J. S. farmer 3/4 m w Boston OH 1828 1867 Republican

OPPY, C. J. farmer 1 m w New Richmond OH 1816 1830 Democrat

OPPY, M. W. farmer 1/2 m w New Richmond MC 1848 Democrat Methodist

ORWIG, L. farmer 2 1/2 m ne Pleasant Hill IN 1841 1873 Republican

OXLEY, J. carpenter Boston OH 1845 1861 Democrat

PATTON, I. W. merchant Boston MC 1839 Democrat Christian

PATTON, John farmer 3 m s New Richmond OH 1827 1833 Democrat Christian

PETTENGER, N. farmer Boston OH 1821 1830

PHILLIPS, C. A. physician Pleasant Hill NC 1838 1850 Republican Methodist

PHILLIPS, G. farmer 1/2 m w New Richmond KY 1837 1852 Democrat

PHILLIPS, R. farmer 3/4 m nw New Richmond MD 1811 1852 Democrat M. Baptist

PHILLIPS, T. farmer 1 1/2 m nw New Richmond KY 1820 1852 Democrat

PITTENGER, W. farmer 2 m sw Linden NJ 1828 1849 Republican

PLUNKET, J. W. merchant New Richmond MC 1842 Republican

PLUNKET, James M. farmer New Richmond KY 1838 1854 Democrat Christian

QUILLIN, Wm. farmer 4 m s New Richmond MC 1851 Democrat Christian

REED, J. H. farmer 3 1/2 m nw Linden KY 1845 1855 Methodist

ROSS, Isaac farmer 2 m ne Boston MC 1836 Democrat

ROSS, James farmer 2 1/4 m sw New Richmond MC 1838 Democrat

ROUBERTS, J. farmer 2 m Boston KY 1846 1867 Democrat

ROUBERTS, S. 2 1/2 m e Pleasant Hill KY 1839 1867 Democrat

SHEETS, W. T. blacksmith Pleasant Hill IN 1831 1863 Republican Christian S

HELLEY, E. farmer 1/2 m sw Boston 1852 Democrat

SHELLEY, S. farmer 1/2 m sw Boston MC 1848 Democrat

SHELLEY, Wm. farmer 1/2 m sw Boston MC 1864

SMITH, J. W. farmer Boston MD 1849 1853 Democrat Methodist

SMITH, J. W. farmer Boston MD 1849 1853 Republican Christian

SNIDER, M. S. farmer 8 m nw Boston Store PA 1812 1847 Universalist

SPRAY, J. I. farmre 2 m sw Pleasant Hill IN 1847 1865 Democrat Methodist

STAFFORD, A. carpenter 3 1/2 m ne Pleasant Hill OH 1847 1870 Republican Methodist

STALLARD, J. P. farmer 3 1/2 m nw New Richmond IN 1838 1873 Republican Methodist

STEPHENS, J. farmer 2 1/2 m w New Richmond IN 1852

SWAFFORD, John farmer 4 m n Pleasant Hill IN 1852 1872

SWANK, A. farmer 1 m ne Boston OH 1824 1828 Democrat

SWANK, B. farmer 3/4 m ne Boston MC 1836 Democrat Christian

SWANK, J. farmer and blacksmith 1 m e Boston Store OH 1809 1831

SWANK, John farmer 2 m s New Richmond MC 1838 Democrat Christian

SWANK, P. farmer 1 m ne Boston OH 1815 1828 Democrat

SWANK, P. H. farmer 1 m ne Boston MC 1839 Democrat

SWANK, W. J. farmer 1 m ne Boston MC 1851

SWEAR, C. farmer 1 1/4 m ne New Richmond Germany 1814 1855 Methodist

SYLVESTER, C. sewing machine agent Crawfordsville CT 1815

TAYLOR, Wm. farmer 6 m from New Richmond MC 1852 Republican Methodist

THOMAS, E. farmer 1/2 m w Boston IN 1850 1854 Democrat

THOMAS, J. D. farmer 2 3/4 m ne Pleasant Hill OH 1850 1856 Republican Christian

THOMAS, L. K. farmer 2 m from Pleasant Hill OH 1829 1843 Republican Christian

THOMAS, Levi farmer 3 1/4 m sw New Richmond

THOMAS, S. A. farmer 2 3/4 m ne Pleasant Hill OH 1818 1856 Republican Christian

THOMAS, W. farmer 1/2 m w Boston OH 1816 1854 Democrat

THOMPSON, R. farmer 1 m e Pleasant Hill IN 1840 1873 Republican Christian

TIFFANY, W. W. farmer 2 m s Boston OH 1833 1845 Republican Methodist

TRACY, J. farmer 3 m s Pleasant Hill KY 1826 1827

UTTERBACK, J. W. farmer 1 3/4 m ne Boston MC 1850 Democrat

UTTERBACK, William farmer 2 m n Boston VA 1817 1828 Democrat Christian

VANCUREN, J. H. school teacher 3 m s New Richmond IN 1845 1851

VANMETER, R. B. farmer 2 m ne Pleasant Hill IL 1838 1856 Republican Christian

VANSCOY, E. farmer 3 m e Pleasant Hill OH 1848 1870 Democrat Christian

VAUGHN, John farmer 1 m e Boston IN 1849 1874

VINCEN, T. farmer 7 m w Crawfordsvile MD 1823 1849

WAINSCOT, J. farmer 3 m n Boston KY 1826 1832 Democrat

WALKER, S. L. plasterer 2 m ne Boston IN 1834

WASHBURN, D. M. physician New Richmond MC 1850 Democrat

WATSON, S. M. farmer Pleasant Hill MC 1835 Granger W

HITE, V. farmer 3/4 m e Pleasant Hill MC 1834 Republican Methodist

WIDENER, G. W. farmer Boston MC 1846 Republican Methodist

WIDENER, John farmer 1/4 m w Boston OH 1818 1847 Republican Methodist

WILEY, H. farmer 2 m s New Richmond IN 1832 1854 Republican

WILHITE, J. H. farmer 1 1/2 m nw Boston MC 1856

WILSON, J. W. farmer 1 1/4 m e Pleasant Hill IN 1841 1858 Democrat

WILSON, Samuel farmer 3 m se Crawfordsville OH 1802 1834 Republican Methodist

WILSON, W. W. farmer 7 m nw Crawfordsville OH 1826 1834 Republican Methodist

WINE, D. H. farmer 3 m sw New Richmond VA 1843 1870

WYSONG, H. L. farmer 3/4 m e Boston OH 1847 1866 Democrat Christian

ZOOK, J. W. farmer 8 m nw Prairie Edge MC 1841

9-9-2007 Karen Zach HTML By: Blacksheep Genealogy

Citation: The Indiana GenWeb Project, Copyright 1997-2007, Montgomery County Website http://www.ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/

Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information.

Boone County |  Clinton County |  Fountain County |
 Hendricks County |  Parke County |
 Putnam County |  Tippecanoe County

The INGenWeb Project, Copyright ©1997-2013, Montgomery County Website 
Copyright © 2007-2014 Karen Zach

Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the submitter, for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information.

Data contained within this website may only be used with permission of the copyright holder(s), for non-commercial research and educational activities, and for personal genealogical information. © 2014 by Karen Zach, and licensed to the Indiana GenWeb (INGenWeb) Project and the USGenWeb Project. May be used in personal research with a citation.

This page created:  

28 October 2012